Author Topic: Mass Effect Andromeda  (Read 25507 times)

Online stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
Re: Mass Effect Andromeda
« Reply #160 on: March 22, 2017, 07:03:15 pm »
Any reports on how the various versions are running? Not sure whether to get it for xbone or ps4...

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #161 on: March 22, 2017, 07:17:32 pm »
Origin on PC

"i Pre-loaded
i Windows release date: March 22, 2017 11:00 PM GMT"

mine was already there because I played the trial. Planning to fire it up at 11pm to find out what's in that fucking door.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #162 on: March 22, 2017, 07:31:10 pm »
No chance I'm doing that.....if I start it at 11 bells this eve the next thing I know it'll be fucking work at 8am :o ::) ;D ;D ;D :wave

Go at it fresh straight from work tmw 8)

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #163 on: March 22, 2017, 07:35:34 pm »
No chance I'm doing that.....if I start it at 11 bells this eve the next thing I know it'll be fucking work at 8am :o ::) ;D ;D ;D :wave

Go at it fresh straight from work tmw 8)

I wouldn't go starting it at 11pm. fuck that!

But the trial was gated at a really (deliberately) annoying place.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #164 on: March 22, 2017, 07:47:54 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b98XmQOpmtI

Jim Sterling made a video on his experience of the animation, what a mess :lmao

No idea how a huge title like this can get away with this kind of nonsense in 2017
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #165 on: March 22, 2017, 08:48:39 pm »
No idea how a huge title like this can get away with this kind of nonsense in 2017

It happens all the time really - AC Unity, Mafia 3, Battlefield 4, loads of games have had launches where the game could obviously do with more time in the oven. Half of it is the massive commercial juggernaut - things have to hit release dates, and development goes down to the wire.

And let's face it, they've got away with fuck all seeing as it's had, for the most part, an awful reception and will lose considerable sales as a consequence. It's the way the industry works, and this won't be the last game to make people wish companies would take their time. But even then, it can go the other way - it's no good having perfect polished games if nobody is playing them (hi Nintendo!)

get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: March 22, 2017, 08:58:19 pm »
Undercooked AAA games are a blight on the industry! Personally think it should be regulated....that would sort the fuckers out!

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: March 22, 2017, 09:06:14 pm »
Undercooked AAA games are a blight on the industry! Personally think it should be regulated....that would sort the fuckers out!

It is a pisstake. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be much to be done about it other than people voting with their wallets. But I probably would have bought this anyway as I love the franchise - when people are invested enough in the brand, companies get away with it. Look at Hollywood - Suicide Squad looked every bit to me to have all the same problems as a botched video game release - but it made massive money and no lessons will be learned.

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarįs Solo
« Reply #168 on: March 22, 2017, 09:38:23 pm »
Pre-order retail culture makes prematurely announced release dates, and thus rushed products, an inevitability. I love it when a studio takes an it's-ready-when-it's ready approach, because it all needs to fuck off. If you didn't know Mass Effect: Andromeda was 'slated' (heh) for an early 2017 release, it wouldn't matter if it came out a year later. I wish everyone would put 2+2 together, listen to what Miyamoto said and look at what yer ultimately got from him & his gang with BotW, that they kept being granted more and more time with. Who now honestly gives a shit that it took them so long? If it was delayed far beyond the launch of the Switch, I'd get it, but I strongly suspect they were waiting on that game being ready for it all along; it's no coincidence.

Sure, some perfectionist artists would tinker with their baby (that sounds unintentionally awful) forever before okaying it for release into the wild, but that's why you should still have sensible executive producers a little more detached from the creative process (but also that important bit removed from the philistinic money men upstairs) making the hard calls.

Pre-order retail fulfilment dates aside, I can't see any good reason for hard release dates being publicly announced months and months in advance. Hey, looked at it this way; if there were no announced release dates, there'd be no delays, ever!  ;D
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: March 22, 2017, 09:43:18 pm »
Yeah it would be ace if stuff just dropped with no notice at all, spare us the marketing cycles! Rockstar should try it sometime. They're big enough that it could work. Imagine how much they could save on advertising. Instead of prickteasing for years.

Offline Anfield89

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #170 on: March 23, 2017, 07:09:18 pm »
Bit of a tug of war going on so far between the things I like about it and things I don't.  From what I've seen so far I think I've got an idea of what's to come (hope I'm wrong) and I think it'll get very repetitive and become a chore.

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #171 on: March 23, 2017, 07:13:37 pm »
Bit of a tug of war going on so far between the things I like about it and things I don't.  From what I've seen so far I think I've got an idea of what's to come (hope I'm wrong) and I think it'll get very repetitive and become a chore.

do elaborate

Offline Anfield89

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: March 23, 2017, 08:01:05 pm »
do elaborate

Good points are obviously the universe/worlds it looks great and what you are trying to do is interesting.  Loads of people to meet and give you side missions. it's when you get onto a planet your main objective i think will become repetitive but like I say hope I'm wrong and it suprised me.

I don't mind that the graphics are poor on the characters they are good for everything else but some of the dialog/voices are poor (main character, a few more) I'm all for equal rights but a camp Krogen took me by surprise.

Going from planet to planet is a little bit of an annoyance but can live with that. it's still early days I played the early access, played for a short time Tuesday just to finish the point it was left on the access and played a few hours wed/thurs.

I'm enjoying much of it just things bugging me about about it and hopefully it gets as good as previous.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #173 on: March 23, 2017, 09:28:05 pm »
Good points are obviously the universe/worlds it looks great and what you are trying to do is interesting.  Loads of people to meet and give you side missions. it's when you get onto a planet your main objective i think will become repetitive but like I say hope I'm wrong and it suprised me.

I don't mind that the graphics are poor on the characters they are good for everything else but some of the dialog/voices are poor (main character, a few more) I'm all for equal rights but a camp Krogen took me by surprise.

Going from planet to planet is a little bit of an annoyance but can live with that. it's still early days I played the early access, played for a short time Tuesday just to finish the point it was left on the access and played a few hours wed/thurs.

I'm enjoying much of it just things bugging me about about it and hopefully it gets as good as previous.

Why do you think the main storyline will get repetitive? Does that mean you think it'll go somewhere like where the original trilogy went?

Because that is always a risk.

In fact you could argue that all of Bioware's recent flagships have had some similarities in terms of plot.

Offline Anfield89

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: March 23, 2017, 10:37:56 pm »
Why do you think the main storyline will get repetitive? Does that mean you think it'll go somewhere like where the original trilogy went?

Because that is always a risk.

In fact you could argue that all of Bioware's recent flagships have had some similarities in terms of plot.

Not the main story as such just what you do for your main objective when you go to each new planet. Probably not making any sense but trying to not spoil anything.

I hope I'm completely wrong and it's just me thinking too far ahead.

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #175 on: March 23, 2017, 11:53:34 pm »
I've played for many hours this evening and I think I've shot about 12 things. Lots of wandering around and chatting between getting a settlement on the first planet and getting to the next one.

and I don't mind that at all. I'm enjoying it so far, fuck the reviews.

A camp Krogan? If you mean Kesh, she's female.

Offline Anfield89

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: March 24, 2017, 12:04:47 am »
Same I haven't bothered reading any reviews for this.

Ha yes realised this once id gone back to her. Still seems a strange voice for a Krogan like.

Things seem to progress really quickly.

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #177 on: March 24, 2017, 09:38:20 am »
Go it yesterday.

No spoilers but I only played one hour, it's ME basically, the story seems like it's going to be interesting, has given me vibes of Stargate Atlantis and how that started haha!

Multiplayers I also put a seperate hour into, I will admit I bought Andromeda points (£7) to see if I'd get any nice stuff and got a sick Sniper Rifle and a Rare Character....damn EA and pay to win sort of situations, grrrr kills me but I still do it, terrible. It's just an e-version of buying cards down the shops waiting for a shiny innit?

Fucks Sake haha but yeah, I am enjoying what I have seen so far and havent seen any poor animations and whatnot.

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #178 on: March 24, 2017, 09:54:47 am »
I havent gone anywhere near the multiplayer and I doubt I will either. Simply not interested.

Offline Anfield89

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: March 24, 2017, 03:30:56 pm »
Not interested in the multiplayer either maybe do a few strike missions.

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #180 on: March 24, 2017, 04:26:01 pm »
I have installed an app on my phone though which lets me send out strike teams while sitting here at work. I can barely believe my own sadness at this development.

Offline Anfield89

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: March 24, 2017, 07:41:32 pm »
I have installed an app on my phone though which lets me send out strike teams while sitting here at work. I can barely believe my own sadness at this development.

Ha never knew, il join in on the sadness.

Offline Anfield89

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: March 24, 2017, 11:16:51 pm »
Is there any point to salvage I really can't remember or is it just to sell?

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: March 24, 2017, 11:24:52 pm »
Is there any point to salvage I really can't remember or is it just to sell?

I sell all mine as I was unable to find out a good reason for not doing so.

Offline Anfield89

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: March 24, 2017, 11:30:23 pm »
I sell all mine as I was unable to find out a good reason for not doing so.

Cheers

Online stoa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: March 25, 2017, 07:07:18 pm »
Started playing this properly today. Didn't even realise that l had played for five hours before looking at my watch for the first time...

Online stoa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: March 26, 2017, 08:29:30 pm »
Having played this now for about two days I can say that it is another great experience in my view. Yes, it is an unpolished game, but in no way is it a desaster like some of the reviews seem to suggest. Who cares about some buggy running-animation that might pop up every once in a while? Who cares about some of the awkward faces (that are not as common as some reviews suggest)? The game is about atmosphere and creating your own adventure and none of the bad things have so far managed to distract from that. I might be different to other people, but I'm really enjoying this game. You're basically thrown into this foreign world and you can do whatever you want. Just as with the other Mass Effect-games there is a shitload to do and you have no idea where to start. It has been exciting so far and I sure as hell will keep on playing this. I also enjoy the firefights.

Of course, the reviews are right about some things. As I've said the game is really, really unpolished. I've played Horizon Zero Dawn and that's a game that almost feels perfect in everything it does. Not that that doesn't have issues, but you just feel that the developers have really given attention to almost every little detail like crafting during fights, like the fight mechanics, like animation, etc. Mass Effect is different and in my view it's down to the size of the world. Have visited three planets now (and the Nexus) and they are all different. I think they've just put more effort into creating those various maps instead of fixing every little bug that might be in there (nothing major, but stuff like cut-scenes sometimes not showing the people involved, doors not working properly at the first time or talking to people or opening doors and crates being a bit fiddly because you have to be in the right spot for the "Talk to/Open"-prompt to come up). It looks nice and I haven't had major technical issues, only some stuttering when I was driving the Nomad in popluated areas.

One thing that really is a mess is the research and crafting. I still have no clue on what is worth researching and what isn't. Less would have been more there... ;)

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #187 on: March 26, 2017, 11:20:56 pm »
I didn't bother creating anything myself until I reached level V weapons. Thought I may as well then!

and I regret to say I've found a BAD bug, and from looking it up it's a common one. So when you do the vault on Kadara,  make sure you make a manual save first! I had to repeat about 45 minutes worth of progress.

Online Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #188 on: March 26, 2017, 11:24:37 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/7KWkao73HuU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/7KWkao73HuU</a>

;D
:D

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #189 on: March 26, 2017, 11:29:46 pm »
has someone seriously sat there and put together a 20 fucking minute video about animations? one sad c*nt there.

Online stoa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: March 26, 2017, 11:31:09 pm »

and I regret to say I've found a BAD bug, and from looking it up it's a common one. So when you do the vault on Kadara,  make sure you make a manual save first! I had to repeat about 45 minutes worth of progress.

Thanks. Will do, but I'm not there yet. Don't even know whether I've even heard the name of the planet yet... ;)
Only had one bug so far where I had to reload. I have that skill where I can basically teleport through objects when I'm "sidestepping" with that boost-thingy. Did that accidentally when I was trying to climb a rock to get into a building. Went straight through the rock and ended up beneath the building. Could see the rooms and could turn, but couldn't get back out. Save points are pretty generous though most of the time...

Online Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #191 on: March 26, 2017, 11:49:44 pm »
has someone seriously sat there and put together a 20 fucking minute video about animations? one sad c*nt there.

Why so defensive, the video is hilarious.  :lmao
:D

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #192 on: March 27, 2017, 07:23:03 am »
Why so defensive, the video is hilarious.  :lmao

not defensive at all, it's not like I made the game.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: March 27, 2017, 08:20:11 am »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/7KWkao73HuU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/7KWkao73HuU</a>

;D

That is incredible, really looks like the kind of things you expect from a PS1 game. They should have delayed it and sorted such fundamental issues before releasing it

The faces are just so lifeless and emotionless, I can't believe they saw that and thought let's go. Just makes me appreciate The Witcher more seeing shit like this

« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 08:41:23 am by Crosby Wych »
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Anfield89

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: March 27, 2017, 12:23:14 pm »
Needs a patch a few problems I've had only once so far like the game getting stuck after a loading screen and I've fell through the map but the game is getting better and better as far as I've got.

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarįs Solo
« Reply #195 on: March 27, 2017, 01:41:34 pm »
I'm normally all for defending a game under fire, but this isn't a small indy dev team suddenly thrust into the glaring AAA spotlight. I'd never consider a title with some real positive features to be "trash" due to some annoying bugs, so I'll always be opposed to those more or less calling such a thing worthless, but there should be a sensible limit to your generosity as someone paying £45+ up front for a premium product, for most entirely on the back of their affection for the successful prior instalments. This game shouldn't have these things wrong with it, it's pretty inexcusable in this particular case, harsh as that may sound.

If the bread & butter of your firmly-established & beloved series is an emotional connection to the characters and thrilling cinematic interpersonal drama, then you should get that right above all else. If so many of the characters are creepily lifeless mostrosities, and many of the supposedly dramatic cutscenes are hilariously awful, then that's just negligence, really. Shows a real lack of due care to release it in that state, whoever might well luck out by encountering it less than countless others have. I'm sure you can enjoy your time spent playing it, but can you love it? And not in a so-bad-it's-good way. If not, then it's failed in a pretty big way, because it's a full chapter in the Mass Effect saga, and on better hardware than ever before.

Get yer basics down pat for that particular type of game, then build on those firm foundations. Too many modern AAA releases for my liking have some pretty incredible & complex positive features that are let down by more essential things having been overlooked, or else hurried in as an afterthought; Watch Dogs 2 for example is just a few simply-implemented better decisions away from being something very special indeed, but as it is it's just a good game taking place in a superbly-realised open world, nothing much more.

Disappointments are inevitable in such a hype-fuelled culture, but actual plain regression of important essential elements needs to be called out for what it is. If this game struggled with some brand-new, unique, exceptionally complicated next gen stuff, it'd be a totally different matter (and why the totally one-of-a-kind art-game experiment that is The Last Guardian deserved a bit of a better, more patient{!} reception, in my view). If The Last of Us for instance had a shit script, characterisations and performances, then great world-builing or not, it would've got nowhere - they're the very first things it needed to knock out of the park with that sort of game, and thankfully it duly obliged.
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #196 on: March 27, 2017, 02:49:52 pm »
I don't ask to love it, I ask for my entertainment to entertain me. And it has done.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: March 27, 2017, 04:34:20 pm »

That's a good post. Agree with all of that.

I'm a huge fan of the original series. I know I've mentioned that a half a dozen times before, but ME2 I'd regard as the best game of the original series, and possibly the best narrative driven game in existence. Most of that, if not all, is down to the characters. Just like a film or a book, if the characters aren't right, then nothing is right. Having said that, as far as a game goes, it has to be just a good game to begin with to draw a player in, and then it's down to personal opinion on whether or not you like the story or specific characters. ME1 did all of that, yet it wasn't released with a torrent of hype behind it, nor was it a bug infested mess for that matter either. Literally everything about it was solid, and like all good series, the follow up knocked it out of the park. If it didn't, we wouldn't have a now critically renowned and much loved series, and ME:A wouldn't have been nowhere near as anticipated as it was.

That is where the issue lies with me. Bioware and EA knew the pedigree that they had to live up to. They knew that anything other than an impeccable, polished, and well written game wouldn't do. They should also have known that one of the big reasons, as I've previously said, that ME was so successful, was through it's portrayal of characters, and how they narrative bonds those characters to the player. They knew that starting with a blank slate, introducing a entire brand new cast of characters, those characters would have to be at least on par, or even better. Admittedly, I haven't played the game yet, but from what I've seen of it, none of those characters appeal to me. Not only this, but I don't know what Bioware's excuses are for some of the models on display, because they are absolutely shocking in more than one aspect. A lot of that is down to janky animation, but the way most of them look is just bizarre. They are on brand new hardware, so polygon budget should have went up, but to me it looks like it's went down or at least stayed on par.

Normally, I wouldn't complain about anything regarding technical issues, so long as they are just that. You can patch out glitches, even replace models (they've already done this) but you can't patch out bad writing, story, and shoddy characters. More importantly, from what I've seen - and this is something that you can actually judge by eye and ear without playing a game - they've completely botched the tone of the game. I could be wrong about that, but to me it seems like they've completely missed the point of the originals, and just taken elements from it that they know fans would recognise, and called it a Mass Effect game. It doesn't feel like it was made by the same people. It feels like an homage, and that's a bloody shame, because I can't see how they rectify any of those problems with future iterations.

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #198 on: March 27, 2017, 04:39:55 pm »
That's a very long post, but in all that you've said you've not played it. Therefore your opinions on the characters are null and void. Hell I'm quite a few hours into it and I'm still getting to know them all so wouldn't like to commit to saying whether they're any good or not.

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: March 27, 2017, 04:40:18 pm »
I propose we go into cryosleep until all the bugs are fixed or until Cyberpunk 2077 comes out some time next year ;) ;D :wave