Poll

How do we think the UK Will do - Assuming Brexit happens (Hard or Soft..)

Things will be brilliant from the word go and will get better every week!
Things will start off a bit dodgy, but over time things gradually improve and get better
Things will start off dodgy and remain that way for the forseeable future
Things will start off dodgy and then decline slightly with things getting a bit worse
Complete clusterfuck from start to finish

Author Topic: Brexit - doesn't really seem to be a very good idea does it? (*)  (Read 870277 times)

Offline zebenzui

• Legacy Fan
Re: Brexit - What would those in power get out of it? The Fallout Thread..
« Reply #3760 on: March 28, 2017, 12:45:19 am »
Fair play to you mate. I've been poor, so I know how shite that is.

I know plenty others have it worse than me, at least my job gives me a relatively steady number of hours week to week. That said, I was a very close to being homeless just a few years ago having been out of work for months and months.

Some who go through that may well develop the views that seem sadly too prevalent today. Others do not. I think (out of horrible cynicism) the only thing that seperates the two groups is that people in the former group always held those views and misconceptions, and use their struggles to validate and indulge the prejudices that they enjoy having.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 01:01:29 am by zebenzui »

Offline Craig S

• KOP CONDUCTOR
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3761 on: March 28, 2017, 06:31:57 am »
But they were losing anyway. What did they have to lose?

It's extremely unlikely lower income salaries will increase. There will be no increase in benefits, tax credits etc, i think thats clear.

However, we are due inflation. We are already seeing sharp increases in home energy prices, as oil and gas is priced in dollars. Supermarkets are currently holding back price rises to consumers, and gradually phasing them in. They don't want to be the first to blink and be branded the anti brexit supermarket by the knuckle dragging daily mail readers. I work with one of the big supermarkets and have been told this, but i dont think it's much of a secret. Tesco has more resources to maintain this for longer, but is not indefinite.

So with no increases in income and an increase in costs, they are almost certainly going to lose. Unfortunately i think they will feel it more acutely than anyone else.

I think it was highly irresponsible of people like Martin Lewis to claim, you have nothing to lose. Clearly they do.

Offline zero zero

• Karma's a bitch. Innit.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3762 on: March 28, 2017, 08:18:46 am »
I know that. But can we really blame those that voted Brexit in desperation to get anything..
I'd try to explain Andy, but this guy sums it up perfectly

I know that people get irritated when you call the UK voting population 'thick' - but after all these years of Austerity the Tories have finally admitted they had no intention of 'balancing the books' at all. They are doing other things now like building houses and the rest. Doesn't take a genius to see Austerity has damaged the economy and will lead to many years extra to get near to any kind of growth.

And yet. STILL. Even though the UK population can see this. They'll still vote for the Tories.

If that's not thick, then please can someone explain why not?

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #3763 on: March 28, 2017, 08:38:08 am »
Ukip calls for homeless or unemployed EU citizens to be deported after Brexit - The Independent
https://apple.news/AU3PyUKeJR7S3mpa_jZpuOA

How long before Fox and Davies put this to May and she  takes it up as a policy?
It's bad enough that the term "illegals" is now used to describe anyone who is not born here but now we are seriously hearing "send them back" starting to be discussed seriously.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3764 on: March 28, 2017, 08:40:13 am »
I'd try to explain Andy, but this guy sums it up perfectly

Yep, he's pretty bang on there.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #3765 on: March 28, 2017, 08:40:43 am »
what do people will think will happen the rate of sterling?

if i google then its pretty much 50-50 with people saying itll go weaker or stronger against the euro
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3766 on: March 28, 2017, 08:49:08 am »
It's extremely unlikely lower income salaries will increase. There will be no increase in benefits, tax credits etc, i think thats clear.

However, we are due inflation. We are already seeing sharp increases in home energy prices, as oil and gas is priced in dollars. Supermarkets are currently holding back price rises to consumers, and gradually phasing them in. They don't want to be the first to blink and be branded the anti brexit supermarket by the knuckle dragging daily mail readers. I work with one of the big supermarkets and have been told this, but i dont think it's much of a secret. Tesco has more resources to maintain this for longer, but is not indefinite.

So with no increases in income and an increase in costs, they are almost certainly going to lose. Unfortunately i think they will feel it more acutely than anyone else.

I think it was highly irresponsible of people like Martin Lewis to claim, you have nothing to lose. Clearly they do.

This is what's going to hurt the lower incomes the most.

Yes, austerity has been screwing them over, but inflation has been low, you increase that, and see how things are then.

They'll be less money coming into the economy, and the pound is likely to fall further when we do actually leave.

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3767 on: March 28, 2017, 08:50:47 am »

if i google then its pretty much 50-50 with people saying itll go weaker or stronger against the euro

It does depends on what kind of deal we get with the EU I think.

I think it'll drop further regardless, how much so, depends on the deal.

Online Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #3768 on: March 28, 2017, 08:56:13 am »

All we know is it's going to continue to be shite for at least 18 months, then it could get worse or better.
:D

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3769 on: March 28, 2017, 11:38:35 am »
Its safe to say that with Brexit the one group i dont give a shit about is big businesses. I know there are loads of smaller support businesses that are propped up by these and they employ loads of people but firms in the City, retailers and even car manufacturers have courted the Tory party. Now they are begging for things like passporting, customs union etc.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3770 on: March 28, 2017, 11:58:28 am »
Its safe to say that with Brexit the one group i dont give a shit about is big businesses. I know there are loads of smaller support businesses that are propped up by these and they employ loads of people but firms in the City, retailers and even car manufacturers have courted the Tory party. Now they are begging for things like passporting, customs union etc.

While I largely agree with the sentiment, the fact is the City brings in the biggest tax receipts in the UK. Without them, services are at risk of further cutbacks (particularly under this rabid Tory government).

I'm very much pro small local businesses, but further austerity coupled with uncertainty is not going to create an environment conducive to people starting up new businesses.

Granted, there will probably be some innovation out of necessity, but I'd expect that to be heavily outweighed by those who prefer to cling on in their current job out of fear of the financial uncertainty of a new business.

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3771 on: March 28, 2017, 12:15:14 pm »
We did learn something last night, Davis butted in to make the big point strongly.
The people didn't vote to cut Immigration they voted for control of Immigration.
We had ways of controlling Immigration but our government refused to enforce it.
No idea how this is going to play out but looks like the Torys are going to spin this to get a deal.
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3772 on: March 28, 2017, 12:46:46 pm »
We did learn something last night, Davis butted in to make the big point strongly.
The people didn't vote to cut Immigration they voted for control of Immigration.
We had ways of controlling Immigration but our government refused to enforce it.
No idea how this is going to play out but looks like the Torys are going to spin this to get a deal.

In order for that to work, the rags have to go along with it too.  They can't keep churning out shite about huge numbers of immigrants are at our doors and we can't keep them out etc etc.

The issue is that the people who voted for Brexit aren't interested in facts and evidence, or cannot comprehend them.  So when numbers don't go down, and things get worse in the UK, they'll just be blaming something else.

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3773 on: March 28, 2017, 01:16:54 pm »
In order for that to work, the rags have to go along with it too.  They can't keep churning out shite about huge numbers of immigrants are at our doors and we can't keep them out etc etc.

The issue is that the people who voted for Brexit aren't interested in facts and evidence, or cannot comprehend them.  So when numbers don't go down, and things get worse in the UK, they'll just be blaming something else.
Yes there will be a lot of very upset leave voters,they all had a different vision of what Brexit means but the fact is the Brexit they want is impossible.it was obvious the Torys were always going to try and sell a bad deal as a victory. the question is what do the Torys want.
There not bothered about Immigration but they know they have to come up with something that gets them off the hook.claiming they've won control may be their only way out if they want a deal.
They certainly want to do away with regulations, imo,this is more important to them than Immegration and trade deals.
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #3774 on: March 28, 2017, 01:19:41 pm »
MPs 'walk out' in protest at 'too gloomy' Brexit report

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39417715

You just have to laugh at this utter shit show.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline hide5seek

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in THE 5 EUROPEAN CUPS
« Reply #3775 on: March 28, 2017, 01:37:52 pm »
Picked this up from ukpollingreport

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/mar/27/brexiteers-immigration-promises-unravelling
“The message that the voters heard loud and clear was that escaping the grip of Brussels would mean fewer foreigners coming to Britain. As Deborah Mattinson’s fascinating Britainthinks panel surveys have shown, leave voters interpret “hard Brexit” unequivocally as being “tough on immigrants” and are uninterested in economic counter-arguments. What motivates leavers, Mattinson concludes, is “broader cultural issues”.
This qualitative research has been reinforced by quantitative findings: according to an Ipsos Mori poll in Friday’s Evening Standard, 61% regard immigration curbs as the priority in the forthcoming negotiations. A recent study by the NatCen thinktank indicated that 68% want the principle of free movement to go.”

Offline ShakaHislop

• Shocktrooper of the Vinny Cable Nasties
  • Legacy Fan

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3777 on: March 28, 2017, 02:24:16 pm »
While I largely agree with the sentiment, the fact is the City brings in the biggest tax receipts in the UK. Without them, services are at risk of further cutbacks (particularly under this rabid Tory government).

I'm very much pro small local businesses, but further austerity coupled with uncertainty is not going to create an environment conducive to people starting up new businesses.

Granted, there will probably be some innovation out of necessity, but I'd expect that to be heavily outweighed by those who prefer to cling on in their current job out of fear of the financial uncertainty of a new business.

The City was keen to cosy up to the Tories and any government and you could argue its their behaviour which has led to all this. Obviously the City getting trashed would harm the country significantly but I don't think I can shed a tear for that or big businesses. They are all so Tory its unreal. Now there they are, begging for their own self importance.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3778 on: March 28, 2017, 02:34:23 pm »
Well, it's good that many within Labour did not hitch themselves to the anti-immigrant bandwagon and are now in a position to capitalis...oh shit.

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/political-parties/labour-party/andy-burnham/news/81532/andy-burnham-blasts-labour-support

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/political-parties/labour-party/news/82513/excl-dan-jarvis-labour-must-get-tough-immigration

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/home-affairs/house/81776/yvette-cooper-labour-can-make-progressive-argument-ending-free

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/political-parties/labour-party/news/81638/hilary-benn-deepens-labour-immigration-row-call

Add Kier Starmer, and the 29 signatories to this letter - https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/mar/11/arguments-against-single-market-membership-illustrate-a-lack-of-ambition - with their "have your cake and eat it" approach and Labour are up the immigration shit creek with the Leavers.

I don't mind what some of them have said (albeit the 29 MP's who signed that letter are mad) about immigration except Andy Burnham. He went full on twat mode when he linked immigration with crime. He can fuck off with rhetoric like that.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3779 on: March 28, 2017, 02:58:48 pm »
Could people be banned from uttering the phrases ..."we need to work together to get the best possible deal and make the best of Brexit...".

What exactly does that mean? How exactly does the general public 'come together'? Don't people just go about their own lives or do they think that their existence matters in all this?

Oh and ban vox pops.

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3780 on: March 28, 2017, 03:34:19 pm »
Could people be banned from uttering the phrases ..."we need to work together to get the best possible deal and make the best of Brexit...".

What exactly does that mean? How exactly does the general public 'come together'? Don't people just go about their own lives or do they think that their existence matters in all this?

Oh and ban vox pops.
It means stop exposing the Torys incompetence and lies as they want to do as they please without being held to account stop being negative and get behind the TorysCountry, the EU will crap themselves and give us a fantastic deal.
               Emily Maitlis

Offline ShakaHislop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3781 on: March 28, 2017, 03:41:10 pm »
I don't mind what some of them have said (albeit the 29 MP's who signed that letter are mad) about immigration except Andy Burnham. He went full on twat mode when he linked immigration with crime. He can fuck off with rhetoric like that.

I don't mind people genuinely advocating a system for controlled immigration for EU nationals. I don't agree with it, and very likely wouldn't vote for a party proposing it but if you honestly believe it is the best thing for the country, fair enough.

With that being said, none of the above's clamouring for this tough stance on immigration feels sincere. "Responding to people's concerns" about immigration after the referendum suggests either they didn't give a shit about said concerns beforehand, which doesn't paint them in a good light or they know deep down that this rabid desire from the public to cut immigration by any means will harm the economy (hence their support for Remain before the ref) but don't have the balls to continue saying it after losing one vote, which is equally as appalling, if not worse.

If you really thought stopping free movement was a priority for this country, you would have supported Leave. To my knowledge, none of the MPs above did so their stances now are primarily shameless attempts to keep their seats. Losing Labour MPs from Parliament is not something I want to see but what's the point of them being there if they not going to fight for what I think they really believe in? I don't vote for a party of placeholders; I vote for people who I believe are like-minded and will represent me in Parliament.

Offline ShakaHislop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3782 on: March 28, 2017, 03:47:18 pm »

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #3783 on: March 28, 2017, 06:00:37 pm »
Picked this up from ukpollingreport

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/mar/27/brexiteers-immigration-promises-unravelling
“The message that the voters heard loud and clear was that escaping the grip of Brussels would mean fewer foreigners coming to Britain. As Deborah Mattinson’s fascinating Britainthinks panel surveys have shown, leave voters interpret “hard Brexit” unequivocally as being “tough on immigrants” and are uninterested in economic counter-arguments. What motivates leavers, Mattinson concludes, is “broader cultural issues”.
This qualitative research has been reinforced by quantitative findings: according to an Ipsos Mori poll in Friday’s Evening Standard, 61% regard immigration curbs as the priority in the forthcoming negotiations. A recent study by the NatCen thinktank indicated that 68% want the principle of free movement to go.”

If the leave voters think that Brexit means being" tough on immigrants" then they may well be disappointed.

There was a debate on Breakfast this morning on the hospitality industry. A senior figure from Best Western was saying that the industry could suffer severely after Brexit. "Lord" Digby Jones pooh, poohed this and said that we would be able to attract staff from India...realising that this wouldn't go down well with a segment of the leavers and covering up his slip he quickly said that we could also attract staff from Australia and New Zealand.

Controlled immigration probably means ensuring even cheaper labour from around the world.

Interesting to see how the red tops react to this.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #3784 on: March 28, 2017, 10:12:39 pm »
Between Davis spilling the reality of a post-Brexit immigration policy, Scotland marching towards IndyRef 2 and MPs walking out on Benn's "gloomy" (read realistic) Brexit report, it's not been a great Article 50 Eve for the Brexiteers

Offline Bunter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3785 on: March 28, 2017, 10:36:22 pm »
How bad would it be economically losing Scotland or N.Ireland in the union? I'm honestly not too sure.

Offline Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me
« Reply #3786 on: March 28, 2017, 10:42:32 pm »
How bad would it be economically losing Scotland or N.Ireland in the union? I'm honestly not too sure.

Not really a matter of economics. It would be a massive blow to the prestige and image of a country for large chunks of it to decide they have no future in the union and seek independence or unification with another country.

Looks at the countries this has happened to recently - USSR/Russia, Yugoslavia/Serbia, Sudan (?). Not exactly great models to follow.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3787 on: March 28, 2017, 10:43:16 pm »

Don't think it would be too bad for us in England. Plus imagine how great it will be to see the United Kingdom break apart? All the super patriotic people will have their precious union in the dustbin.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 10:51:06 pm by killer_heels »

Offline TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #3788 on: March 28, 2017, 10:49:31 pm »
It's just all so incredibly sad that this country has come to this.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #3789 on: March 28, 2017, 10:55:55 pm »
The next 2 years are going to be fun a laugh a minute.

Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3790 on: March 28, 2017, 10:56:09 pm »
Who determines what the EU funding is spent on?

Offline ShakaHislop

• Legacy Fan

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
               Emily Maitlis

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3793 on: March 29, 2017, 12:18:49 am »
It's just all so incredibly sad that this country has come to this.

Its not that sad. The triggering of Article 50 will probably be a expression of theatre on both sides. Remainers crying and kissing a foreigner with a EU flag on their face, old Brexit voters being let out of their care homes to wave a planted flag, Polish centres being sent cakes saying they are loved, whilst the same centres having swastikas graffitied onto them.

But for most of the public, rightly they wont give a shit.

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3794 on: March 29, 2017, 12:41:32 am »
               Emily Maitlis

Online Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #3795 on: March 29, 2017, 12:45:08 am »

Continued shit hurling really does nothing, the individual voter is at fault for nothing.

The Tories are the ones responsible for getting us in this mess, and for the time being they're going to be the ones to continually fuck the process.
:D

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3796 on: March 29, 2017, 01:17:28 am »
Continued shit hurling really does nothing, the individual voter is at fault for nothing.

The Tories are the ones responsible for getting us in this mess, and for the time being they're going to be the ones to continually fuck the process.
Millions of those leave voters backed the Torys when they have tried abuse our democracy by bypassing parliament, backed them when they threatened our judges, individuals fighting for democracy, the house of Lords.
The Torys are to blame for this mess but this goes far deeper than just voting stay or leave.
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #3797 on: March 29, 2017, 07:21:04 am »

Nah. Brexiters made their bed and forced everyone else to lie in it
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #3798 on: March 29, 2017, 08:01:55 am »

No that really isn't true. Its no good people saying they didn't understand about the consequences, before then going ahead and voting for Brexit. If they really didn't understand they should have voted to remain, that is basic common sense when all is said and done. Anyone else only has themself to blame, and I won't tire of saying it.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #3799 on: March 29, 2017, 08:18:26 am »
What are the bookies odds that we end up with a deal in two years time?

I reckon there's almost no chance ....

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W