Author Topic: AFC Wimbledon to return to Plough Lane  (Read 3393 times)

Offline ashleyrose-66

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Back on our perch!
AFC Wimbledon to return to Plough Lane
« on: December 10, 2015, 11:50:38 pm »
http://www.afcwimbledon.co.uk/news/article/go-ahead-for-new-stadium-2845699.aspx

AFC Wimbledon is ‘delighted’ that Merton Council has approved the club’s plans to build a new stadium in the borough.

Speaking after the planning committee meeting at Merton Civic Centre, AFC Wimbledon Chief Executive Erik Samuelson, said: “We are all absolutely delighted. This has been a momentous day for our club and the most important event since we reformed it 13 years ago.

“Following the sale of our former Plough Lane site and the decision by the FA to allow Wimbledon FC’s Football League place to be moved to Milton Keynes, our fans did something unprecedented in the football world – we decided to re-form the club, enter the football hierarchy at the lowest level and repeat what the old Wimbledon FC did with massive success, namely make our way up through the many leagues into the Football League.

“We started with nothing, no team, no stadium, no manager, not even a strip to wear.  But what was different this time was that the club was formed by and remains owned by the fans, in other words we are firmly rooted in our community.

“We have never lost sight of that and so we have focused the majority of our community works on Merton because this is our home and we are delighted that we have been granted planning approval to return to Wimbledon.

“On behalf of the club and our supporters, we would like to place on record our thanks to Merton’s councillors who have demonstrated their support for our club and our work by supporting us to come home.”

Galliard Homes Director Mike Watson said “We are delighted to have received planning permission to redevelop this important brownfield site. Alongside AFC Wimbledon’s new stadium, we will be providing 602 new high quality homes, a new squash and fitness facility and a retail unit. These new homes will make a significant contribution towards Merton’s own minimum 10 year target for new homes and the regeneration of this part of Merton.”

----------------------------------------------------

I think this is a wonderful story.  Wimbledon was effectively sold off over a decade ago, and the fans of the club decided to make a stand against it's owners.  They couldn't stop the club from moving out of London to Milton Keynes, so formed their own club.
Several promotions later and they are now playing in League 2.  The "original" Wimbledon (now MK Dons) are hovering close the relegation zone in the Championship, and since their move and re-branding, have never played Premiership football.

Tonight, they have been told they can redevelop the dilapidated greyhound stadium, just a short throw from where the original ground was on Plough Lane. 

It just goes to show, if you have passionate and loyal fans, you can achieve almost anything.  It's a great story. 

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: AFC Wimbledon to return to Plough Lane
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 11:56:31 pm »
Brilliant that.

I never did like Wimbledon. 88 cup final. The final nail in the coffin in 97(?) when they beat us 2-1 with Owen scoring on his debut. Collapsing like a deck of cards because of that c*nt Hans Segers, keeping Everton in the league.

But this is a wonderful story.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Terry_Tibbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 12:11:03 am »
Chelsea have given them a bit of a helping hand financially by agreeing a deal to buy the current AFC Wimbledon ground for use by their womens and reserve teams:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/nov/17/chelsea-afc-wimbledon-kingsmeadow

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 08:19:09 am »
I live in Merton.  This is great news for Wimbledon fans and football fans in general.  (Not so much if you're into greyhounds, as it's the only remaining track in London.)  If I'm still living here, I'll be attending a few games I think.  It's only a ten minute walk. 
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2015, 08:25:51 am »
Nice story, this.

Crazy the progress they have made since 2002. A few years back they were playing in the Conference South alongside my local team and beat us in the players. Real passionate set of supporters.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2015, 03:51:53 pm »
Nice story, this.

Crazy the progress they have made since 2002. A few years back they were playing in the Conference South alongside my local team and beat us in the players. Real passionate set of supporters.

It's a fantastic club.  Even when they hosted us in the FA cup, they refused to raise ticket prices for the game.   The area around Plough Lane needs development too, so it's good for the area.   Although, I'll miss the sound of the stock car racing when I'm having a run along the Wandle.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2015, 07:13:11 pm »
I live in Merton.  This is great news for Wimbledon fans and football fans in general.  (Not so much if you're into greyhounds, as it's the only remaining track in London.)  If I'm still living here, I'll be attending a few games I think.  It's only a ten minute walk. 

Yes, this is indeed a dark day for greyhound racing and sad to see the sport die out in London, the home of the derby aswell. Shame they couldn't have worked out a ground sharing or something like that.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline WEST HAM PAUL

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2015, 09:15:14 pm »
Yes, this is indeed a dark day for greyhound racing and sad to see the sport die out in London, the home of the derby aswell. Shame they couldn't have worked out a ground sharing or something like that.

http://www.romfordgreyhoundstadium.co.uk/index.cfm/content/section.contactInfo/

Romford Dogs within  greater London
Fortunes Always Hiding. 

And The Sun Shines Now

Sex bombs to the left of me would be playboy bunnies to the right and here I am stuck in the middle with my pasty white bird.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline AirConGipsyRed

• The Floater in Camerons Toilet.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2015, 04:20:42 pm »

I live in Merton too and I am pleased for them.
The wheels on my house go round and round, round and round..........

"I don't care about pollution, I'm an Air-Conditioned Gipsy, That's my solution, Watch the police and the tax man miss me, I'm mobile"

Offline Rysoph76

• 43yo GCSE student. Hello, Hoodie Hater!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dangerous lurker
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2017, 10:14:22 am »
Just thought i'd post up that for anyone in travelling distance, this Saturday night will be the last ever race meeting at Wimbledon dogs so should be a good night, i'll be going fingers crossed
Stay young and invincible. Come what may we're unstoppable.

Offline youll never walk alone it

• Can no longer walk alone as he has whiplash... or that's what his insurer thinks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2017, 10:28:10 am »
Remember our games at plough lane, culture shock or what? we ddint lose there much actually, had big win in 89 in the runin 2-1.
Im drunk  but i havent had  a drink!  bob paisley after rome 77                The times i had here wernt all great, we only  finished 2nd one  season....the great  bob paisley

when shanks was asked  how he relaxed,  he said  he looks at the league table and checks where everton are...

Offline zero zero

• Karma's a bitch. Innit.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2017, 11:28:09 am »
It's a fantastic club.  Even when they hosted us in the FA cup, they refused to raise ticket prices for the game.   The area around Plough Lane needs development too, so it's good for the area.   Although, I'll miss the sound of the stock car racing when I'm having a run along the Wandle.
Didn't realise you were local. I can hear the stock cars across Wimbledon Common in Putney.

“We started with nothing, no team, no stadium, no manager, not even a strip to wear.  But what was different this time was that the club was formed by and remains owned by the fans, in other words we are firmly rooted in our community.
Great news for AFC Wimbledon

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2017, 11:58:04 am »
Didn't realise you were local. I can hear the stock cars across Wimbledon Common in Putney.
Great news for AFC Wimbledon

If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline zero zero

• Karma's a bitch. Innit.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2017, 12:06:46 pm »
;D I don't wear glasses *sniffs*

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #15 on: November 3, 2020, 04:45:08 pm »

'A great achievement to put a smile on your face even in these times: Supporter-owned AFC Wimbledon, formed 2002, return to brand new stadium at Plough Lane tonight.'

^ https://twitter.com/david_conn/status/1323601635277504514

'AFC Wimbledon's Plough Lane return: 'There was just an irresistible pull'':-

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/nov/03/afc-wimbledon-plough-lane-return-irresistible-pull

And as a reminder...

'Tears of joy as AFC Wimbledon prove they are in the wider interest of football':-

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2009/apr/28/afc-wimbledon-blue-square-conference-south-champions (from 2009)

^ as if The FA ever had a clue what is in the best interest of football. "Not in the wider interests of football" indeed.

AFC Wimbledon play Doncaster Rovers tonight, finally back at Plough Lane - https://thedonstrust.org/2020/11/02/thank-you-for-bringing-us-home

https://twitter.com/AFCWimbledon : www.afcwimbledon.co.uk : https://twitter.com/TheDonsTrust : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AFC_Wimbledon : www.wearewimbledon.com

« Last Edit: November 3, 2020, 04:57:25 pm by oojason »
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Online Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #16 on: November 3, 2020, 05:54:05 pm »
I can hear the stock cars across Wimbledon Common in Putney.

Me too!
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #17 on: November 6, 2020, 04:31:11 am »
It's great news for afc wimbledon and fan-owned football (of which I am a huge fan) but not sure what all the local villains, geezers and lags will do now that going to the dogs has... gone to the dogs
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #18 on: November 6, 2020, 08:56:32 pm »
Worth noting that Wimbledon fans are a bunch of utter shits
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #19 on: November 6, 2020, 10:50:47 pm »
Won't be the same without Sam Hammam graffiti-ing his own ground
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
« Reply #20 on: November 7, 2020, 03:13:21 pm »
Worth noting that Wimbledon fans are a bunch of utter shits

Haha. Harsh. Not exactly Green Street geezers down in leafy SW19. Though to be fair it is the shitty end of the borough.