Author Topic: Danny Ings  (Read 336799 times)

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
Re: Danny Ings
« Reply #1480 on: March 24, 2017, 10:08:26 am »
It might not be statistically valid but it certainly tells us something.

you can appreciate the problem with this sentence?
If I showed you Papiss Cisse's statistics after his first 10 games with Newcastle you'd think he was Pele

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #1481 on: March 24, 2017, 10:38:07 am »
You can appreciate the problem with this sentence?
I accept the limitations of my argument and the stats I posted up, I said that in the post. Someone wanted to write him off after barely playing for us, I'm saying there's enough there to give the guy a chance.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #1482 on: March 24, 2017, 01:37:18 pm »
Before the injuries he was exactly what we signed, a 3rd/4th choice striker.

I think, if fit, he would have given some attacking bite and an ability to presss, particularly in January and against the less skilful teams.

I would be surprised if he came back from his injuries and be capable of playing at the top level. A pity because he wiould have been a useful squad player.

Offline Jfor83

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1483 on: March 24, 2017, 01:47:26 pm »
It might not be statistically valid but it certainly tells us something.

To roundly write off a player who's a current long term absentee through injury is frankly a bit shit.

I had the same opinion if him when he wasn't injured.

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1484 on: March 24, 2017, 04:41:01 pm »
you can appreciate the problem with this sentence?
If I showed you Papiss Cisse's statistics after his first 10 games with Newcastle you'd think he was Pele

Although Dings was a one in three striker for the worst attack in the league the year before.  His small sample here suggests that wasn't a one off. Either way the poor guy has dodgy knees so we'll probably never see the best of him. Almost forgot he's still only 24.  I can only remember fat Ronaldo coming back a serious player after multiple knee injuries and I guess that only goes to show what a talent he was.

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
« Reply #1485 on: March 24, 2017, 06:25:00 pm »
think ings had scored 3 in 3 prior to his first injury with us.
Yep, that looks about right:

Liverpool   08 Jun, 15      Free   apps (sub) goals  League: 3 (3)   2   FA: 0 (0)   0   League cup goals : 1 (2)   2   Other: 1 (1)   0
He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.

Offline Anfield Ed

• Middle name "Dick". Wants it hard, wants it fast.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Warrior #224
« Reply #1486 on: March 24, 2017, 06:48:06 pm »
I'd give him a 6 month loan in the summer say to a Newcastle or a Brighton and see how he does and whether he can keep his fitness.

I'd be willing though to give him another year here and a proper opportunity providing he is fit.

Offline Rouge

• Legacy Fan
  • Barnes to Molby!
« Reply #1487 on: March 24, 2017, 07:56:00 pm »
I'd give him a 6 month loan in the summer say to a Newcastle or a Brighton and see how he does and whether he can keep his fitness.

I'd be willing though to give him another year here and a proper opportunity providing he is fit.

Honestly why bother, he is no way near as good as Sturridge, possible not Origi too.
If we are going to buy a new striker this summer and we need to decide who out of the 3 current strikers we should keep, it has to be Origi because he is fit, and Daniel all day every day - no competition

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #1488 on: March 24, 2017, 10:50:06 pm »
I honestly think sentimentality is getting in the way of sense With Ings. Yes, he's a nice lad. Yes, he's had a shitty run of luck with injuries.

But what do you do with extremely injury prone 3rd/4th choice players? You go and find someone better, less injury prone.

Has it been so long since we had a reliably fit set of forwards that we've forgotten what it's like?

Offline plura

• Bear with me
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1489 on: March 25, 2017, 10:16:20 am »
I honestly think sentimentality is getting in the way of sense With Ings. Yes, he's a nice lad. Yes, he's had a shitty run of luck with injuries.

But what do you do with extremely injury prone 3rd/4th choice players? You go and find someone better, less injury prone.

Has it been so long since we had a reliably fit set of forwards that we've forgotten what it's like?

Yeah pretty much. It's really unfortunate and a big shame for him and for Liverpool that he's had these injuries. He's never got a proper go at it. But if I could choose between giving him a chance versus getting in a injury free class striker I know what I'd prefer.

Offline ScubaSteve

• Sworn enemy of SnorkelStephanie
  • Legacy Fan
  • Every other Saturday's me half day off......
« Reply #1490 on: March 25, 2017, 10:37:10 am »
I forgot all about him! I like Ings but I want to know at what point he went to half pay as he hasn't worked at club that long  ;D

He'd still be earning more weekly than I do in a year!!

Offline dakid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1491 on: March 31, 2017, 01:15:29 am »
I don't share that opinion. I appreciate the sample size is small but his attacking stats from last year are better than Bobby's this year!

Its almost as if Firmino isn't a striker to begin with..... And he will be back to not being one next year i believe.

Offline LFCEmpire

• Legacy Fan
  • Icelandic Kopite
« Reply #1492 on: April 20, 2017, 11:15:41 pm »
He is starting to run again, good news.

Offline Day1983

• Main Stander
« Reply #1493 on: April 21, 2017, 10:01:41 am »
Good news he is running again, I can see a loan then him being sold next year.
I don't think he's the required standard anyway.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #1494 on: April 21, 2017, 10:06:23 am »

I don't think he's the required standard anyway.

He's 24 and has started 3 league games for us. Might sound crazy, but maybe he should be given a chance eh?
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1495 on: April 21, 2017, 10:07:26 am »
He's 24 and has started 3 league games for us. Might sound crazy, but maybe he should be given a chance eh?

It does sound crazy, yes.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1496 on: April 21, 2017, 10:09:05 am »
It does sound crazy, yes.

Why so? Is he not entitled to the opportunity of proving himself once fit?
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Day1983

• Main Stander
« Reply #1497 on: April 21, 2017, 10:10:58 am »

No I've seen enough of him. Not good enough, he's a head down and run merchant for me. All about opinion tho I suppose.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1498 on: April 21, 2017, 10:14:00 am »
All about opinion tho I suppose.

No it's not thankfully, it's down to the decision of our manager and his coaching staff.

Wish the lad well he's had no luck at all and looked very bright for us in the few games he appeared in. Will be good to see him get a proper pre-season under his belt and come back firing on all cylinders.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1499 on: April 21, 2017, 10:14:05 am »
Why so? Is he not entitled to the opportunity of proving himself once fit?

He's had 4 serious knee injuries already, it's almost certain they will have severely impacted upon his mobility and pace now. Does he have spectacular technique to make up for that? I don't think so personally, but there's no denying it's hard to see a player be moved on without having a chance to show what they could do.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 10:17:21 am by Gerry Attrick »

Offline Day1983

• Main Stander
« Reply #1500 on: April 21, 2017, 10:22:04 am »
No it's not thankfully, it's down to the decision of our manager and his coaching staff.

Wish the lad well he's had no luck at all and looked very bright for us in the few games he appeared in. Will be good to see him get a proper pre-season under his belt and come back firing on all cylinders.

What has the manager got to do with it? This is an opinion forum and we are talking about a player. We have different opinions, hence you think he should be given a chance and I don't.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1501 on: April 21, 2017, 10:22:50 am »
He's had 4 serious knee injuries already, it's almost certain they will have severely impacted upon his mobility and pace now. Does he have spectacular technique to make up for that? I don't think so personally, but there's no denying it's hard to see a player be moved on without having a chance to show what they could do.

After scoring in the derby it's the least we owe him. :)

Offline Bergersrightwingviews

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1502 on: April 21, 2017, 10:54:29 am »
I didn't think a fully-fit injury-free Ings was good enough so a Danny Ings coming off several serious injuries is definitely not going to be good enough.

I feel sorry for him, but we should get rid. Origi is already a better player and we need someone to challenge him and Firmino for a starting slot which would make one of those three 3rd pick.
Roger Scruton was right about everything.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1503 on: April 21, 2017, 11:19:05 am »
What has the manager got to do with it?

Everything thankfully.

Did you just sign up just to be combative? 10 posts so far and nothing positive amongst them. Often wonder why people suddenly register and start contributing to random threads on the main board rather than
having a laugh in the boozer or chatting about the upcoming match etc. Welcome by the way.  :wave

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #1504 on: April 21, 2017, 11:20:45 am »
Reckon he'll get loaned out next season to get match fit and get some proper game time to get back to his best, with a view of probably selling him once he proved his fitness and form.

Not sure Klopp would trust Ings' knees enough to have him as our 3rd choice striker in an important (hopefully) CL season, especially if Sturridge moves on.

You've also got to factor in the amount of game time Ings would get if we were to sign another attacker (who would presumably play more than Sturridge has this season.). Chances are, not much.

Also keep in mind the Uefa squad limit, which might get pretty tight if we add the CB, LB, CM, AM, RW/ST as expected... meaning that there would be 1 place for Klavan/Lucas and 1 between Grujic/Ings most likely...

1. Mignolet
2. Karius
3. Matip
4. Lovren
5. New CB (eg. Van Dijk)
6. Klavan/Lucas
7 New LB (eg. Sessegnon)
8. Can
9. Wijnaldum
10. Grujic/Ings
11. New CM (eg. Keita)
12. Firmino
13. Coutinho
14. New AM (eg. Brandt)
15. Origi
16. Mané
17. New RW/ST

FA trained (minimum of 4)

18. Clyne
19. Milner
20. Henderson
21. Lallana

Club-trained

22. Gomez

List B (unlimited club-trained u21's): Trent, Ejaria, Woodburn, Wilson, etc
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 11:22:52 am by rickardinho1 »

Offline Tony19:6

• Begets John 3:16
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born and Bred
« Reply #1505 on: April 21, 2017, 11:32:04 am »

Which is based on their opinion of course  ;) and its theirs that ultimately matters

But seriously I like him, yes of course he's had some very serious injuries - but I don't think keeping him around does any harm, in fact he could be very useful.

At the least we'll know for certain if he can compete at the required level.

If not its an opportunity to put himself in the shop window
A Great man once said...
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass.
It is terribly simple."

http://twitter.com/Tony19_6

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1506 on: April 21, 2017, 11:34:10 am »
If we do decide to sell, Ings returning from injury and making a few appearances in August might be necessary in any case.

I just think he's a good lad and a very decent pro who could be invaluable to us squad wise next season but as said above, serious injuries might come back to haunt him.

Offline red1977

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1507 on: April 21, 2017, 11:37:15 am »
Before the injuries he was exactly what we signed, a 3rd/4th choice striker.

I think, if fit, he would have given some attacking bite and an ability to presss, particularly in January and against the less skilful teams.

I would be surprised if he came back from his injuries and be capable of playing at the top level. A pity because he wiould have been a useful squad player.

I can understand those that have doubts about his ability to make it at liverpool given his injuries and also the fact he came from Burnley rather than a top team, its easy to pigeon hole him and say not many improve after an injury like that, or not many come from a club like burnley and make it with the top sides etc. When he gets back into training I think he should be given some time to prove himself here. Those saying he will always be 3rd or 4th choice are making assumptions, he deserves his chance to prove him self imo, he seems like a fighter and a very determined person, i like that and if he can stay fit for a season i think he can score some important goals here, he also chases down the ball like his life depends on it, he deffo has something to offer.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 11:39:08 am by red1977 »

Offline Islander

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kemlynite
« Reply #1508 on: April 21, 2017, 11:39:50 am »
Everything thankfully.

Did you just sign up just to be combative? 10 posts so far and nothing positive amongst them. Often wonder why people suddenly register and start contributing to random threads on the main board rather than
having a laugh in the boozer
or chatting about the upcoming match etc. Welcome by the way.  :wave

Off topic but you need to post 15 times on the main LFC forum before you can post anywhere else. 

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1509 on: April 21, 2017, 11:45:16 am »
Off topic but you need to post 15 times on the main LFC forum before you can post anywhere else. 

Old fogeys like me just aren't with it!  Good to know. Ta.

Offline Day1983

• Main Stander
« Reply #1510 on: April 21, 2017, 11:48:30 am »
Everything thankfully.

having a laugh in the boozer or chatting about the upcoming match etc. Welcome by the way.  :wave

Hello :wave.
Maybe all player threads should be closed as it's all up to the manager anyway.
Surely all threads are random mate.
I just wanna get along but I'm opinionated and pessimistic, it's just my nature.
I wish I was in the boozer right now but sadly work comes first :'(

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1511 on: April 21, 2017, 11:49:24 am »
I just wanna get along but I'm opinionated and pessimistic, it's just my nature.

Day meet Al.

Al meet Day.

Offline Day1983

• Main Stander
« Reply #1512 on: April 21, 2017, 11:53:54 am »
Day meet Al.

Al meet Day.

Haha! I'm not sure al is pessimistic tho, I think he's a realist ;)

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #1513 on: April 21, 2017, 11:53:59 am »
Personally hope he gets a other chance with us , but I expect the club are regretting turning down £20m for him before  he got injured.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1514 on: April 21, 2017, 11:55:56 am »
We'll easily get that once he's fit and scores a few. No need to write him off at all. Glad we have him.

Offline Day1983

• Main Stander
« Reply #1515 on: April 21, 2017, 11:58:05 am »
We'll easily get that once he's fit and scores a few. No need to write him off at all. Glad we have him.

I think the only way he plays is if we have an injury crisis so on that basis I hope doesn't play :)

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1516 on: April 21, 2017, 11:58:40 am »

He's THE most pessimistic fucker on here.  I mean if  the sky isn't falling EVERY DAY then it's not Al's kind of day.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #1517 on: April 21, 2017, 12:03:06 pm »
:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

Offline red1977

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1518 on: April 21, 2017, 12:19:16 pm »
I think the only way he plays is if we have an injury crisis so on that basis I hope doesn't play :)

If we make the Champs League we will need to use our squad, he will get games, If he does well then Klopp's and supporters confidence will grow in him. I know thats a generic comment applicable to all players but if you consider we may buy a number 9 in the summer,  It may be Sturridges place in the squad that is under threat as apposed to Ings as Sturridge has been on the bench for most of the season and has been third choice behind Origi when he's been available. Ings has an energetic team ethic that Klopp seems to like from his forwards where as Sturridge does not. Dunno could be wrong, but Sturridge's style of play does not seem to be what Klopp is looking for, where as Ings seems to have the Klopp attributes.

Offline capt k

• aaaaaaaavemaaaaaaaaan!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • id rather be fishing
« Reply #1519 on: April 21, 2017, 02:54:57 pm »
Tell ya what, if i was stuck in the trenches, id rather danny ings beside me than 90% of the rest of the squad, the boys got bottle. he might lose a yard or 2 of pace due to the injuries, but i dont think pace was his main attribute, its desire, so danny will be alright wherever, whenever he is called upon
JFT 96