Author Topic: NBA Discussion  (Read 603571 times)

Offline Romeo Sensini

• Legacy Fan
  • Can climb two flights of stairs
Re: NBA Season 2015-16 Discussion
« Reply #80 on: November 11, 2015, 06:31:43 am »
Damn Porzingis..

https://vine.co/v/elp0XqP3bxW
I was worried about the possibility of Porzingis going to the Sixers, but he is proving me wrong. Still very raw, but some incredible talent and skills for a guy at his height. He does need to work on his fouling. Averaging over 6 PER36.

Meanwhile in LA, DeAngelo Russell isn't putting up great numbers and they admitted to passing on Porzingis because he would take to long to develop. To sum up the Lakers this season, Lou Williams leads the team in assists averaging 2.8 per game.  ;D

Offline IanZG

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #81 on: November 11, 2015, 10:04:51 am »
Damn Porzingis..

https://vine.co/v/elp0XqP3bxW

So glad to see him performing well after the horrible reception he received after he was drafted

Offline Doc Red

• Chills before posting and wishes others had too
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The eye cannot see what the mind does not know.
« Reply #82 on: November 16, 2015, 08:35:16 pm »
Knicks are 5-6. Last season we needed 41 games to reach 5 wins, 5-36.
We're winning inspite of Fisher switching our 4th quarter rotation on a daily basis. Just off the top of my head, we lost 3 games last week where we were leading by 6 or 8+ points going into the final 5 mins. Our execution come crunch time is nonexistant, and this time we can't lay all the blame on Melo. Against Cleveland, from the 9th to the 6th minute we had Melo, Porzingis, Lopez, Grant on the bench, as Fisher went with Calderon, Thomas, Amundson, Galloway, and Early. Cleveland went on a run that saw our 7 point lead diminish until we were tied. And for some reason, even though Willams was our best player in the preseason, he's been riding the bench thus far, barely playing 13 mins.

With the exception of Fisher, Knicks are looking pretty good. Afflalo coming back has strengthened our starting unit, sending Sasha to the bench, and he's already capitalising on the space Melo offers on the offensive end. If he stays healthy, I think he'll be a major key in our return to the playoffs. Porzingis has been a breathe of fresh air, hard working, great rebounding hunger (remember the doubters that assumed he'd be too skinny to hustle for rebounds), a sweet shooting touch, and he's shown some fantastic footwork i the lowpost (defensively and offensively), and his leftside baseline turnaround hookshot is practically unblockable.

But lost in the midst of Porzingis chat, are Grant and Galloway. Sooner , rather than later, even Fisher will wise up and promote one of them to start in place of Calderon (Knick fans have just assumed he's still starting due to the ownership of naked pictures of somebody, somewhere, with influence, otherwise how on earth is he still starting?). Grant is still showing a little bit of rookie shock, he has his ups and downs, but he's going to be a beast once he gets going (incidently, did you know his father is Harvey Grant? aka the lessor known twin of Horace Grant? I only found out last week! Man I used to despise Horace Grant, how long ago was that?). Galloway has improved tremendously since last season, and certainly deserves to be our starter, and finisher.

Overall, a Knicks update that is actually more positive than negative. And yes, it's been literally years since we last felt the latter sentence was accurate.
Playoffs, here we come.
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.
There go my people. I must follow them, for I am their leader.

Online child-in-time

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: November 18, 2015, 10:24:32 am »
That elbow on Amundson's forehead was nasty. Suprised by the Knicks so far, honestly thought they would do just as bad as last season.
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness.

Offline RedInside

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: November 18, 2015, 11:10:52 am »
I'm all aboard the porzingis hype. Looking great out there

Offline Doc Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: November 18, 2015, 10:45:25 pm »
Porzingis is looking really good. Obviously still raw, and benefitting from the fact that the opposition haven't yet highlighted him as a key player to stop, but he's done well. More importantly, he's improved as the games have added up. The Knicks are also imporving, bit by bit. They still haven't done enough to convince us that the playoffs are a guarantee (we haven't started the gruelling West coast road trip yet), but they're meshing really well, especially the 2nd unit.

But for the time being, we're 6-6. The last time we won 6 games this early was in the 2012-2013 season. I don't know if that stat makes me feel happy, or sad. Or both. But it could be worse. We could be the Lakers.
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: November 19, 2015, 02:49:48 am »
Rockets fire Mchale after 4-7 start to the season

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #87 on: November 19, 2015, 12:51:36 pm »
Guys, I stayed up until 4:30 a.m. to admire how bad the Sixers actually are. Unreal. Most of them seem like dudes randomly picked off from street basketball games and were asked to form a team.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Online Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: November 19, 2015, 01:03:20 pm »
Raps are starting to struggle, 7-6 and a few games have been horrible to watch offensively. Scola and Joseph have been good pickups thus far, but Carroll's shooting needs to improve quite a bit. Lowry and DeRozan still dominate this team and they're not shooting the ball well enough, 40% and 42% doesn't get it done when they're taking a big percentage of the shots. JV needs to be used a lot more offensively

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: November 21, 2015, 03:46:08 pm »
I said it before and I will say it again, Doc Rivers is the most overrated coach in the NBA, he should man up and fire himself the coach as the GM of Clippers;) How can you play Jamal Crawford 40 mins and Paul Pierce 32 mins? They actually have a good player in Wesley Johnson who doesn't get any minutes. They have given over 100 pts pretty much every single game this year.

As a Warriors fan, I'm glad they choked twice double digit leads and lost both games, especially after his "Warriors were lucky, they didn't meet us in the finals" crap. Yes he had the guts to say it even though he choked 3-1 lead (and 20 pts lead against Houston) and lost the series to them.
Funnily there aren't many series that a team with 3-1 lead in series lost 4-3. Two of them belongs to Doc.

He overachieved in his first season as a coach with Orlando Magic and underachieved rest of his career, yes including the year they became champions. That belongs to KG and Thibadeau. I'll put it this way, if Brad Stevens was coaching the Clippers and Doc the Celtics; Doc would be bitching how he has the worst team in the NBA, they would be worst team in the league and Brad would possibly win the league.

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: November 21, 2015, 04:01:45 pm »
Raps are starting to struggle, 7-6 and a few games have been horrible to watch offensively. Scola and Joseph have been good pickups thus far, but Carroll's shooting needs to improve quite a bit. Lowry and DeRozan still dominate this team and they're not shooting the ball well enough, 40% and 42% doesn't get it done when they're taking a big percentage of the shots. JV needs to be used a lot more offensively
And when you need a win, look for my team on the schedule and a win you will have!

Nice game from DLO though...the sooner Scott gives him freedom, the better.

Online Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: November 22, 2015, 01:04:39 am »
And when you need a win, look for my team on the schedule and a win you will have!

Nice game from DLO though...the sooner Scott gives him freedom, the better.

Hasn't Scott's treatment of Russell been a bit odd? I read that Russell hasn't even got off the bench in a few 4th quarters in even in blow out losses

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: November 22, 2015, 01:17:21 am »

and on a related story:

Jonas Valanciunas Breaks Bone In Non-Shooting Hand

Jonas Valanciunas broke a bone in his left hand during Friday's game.

Valanciunas will undergo further tests before the Toronto Raptors determine how long he will be sidelined.

Valanciunas broke the same bone -- in his right hand -- during his 2012-13 rookie season and missed 18 games.

"It's unfortunate, and we're definitely going to miss him because of what we do, so it's next man up right now," Kyle Lowry said.

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: November 22, 2015, 01:51:56 am »
Guys, I stayed up until 4:30 a.m. to admire how bad the Sixers actually are. Unreal. Most of them seem like dudes randomly picked off from street basketball games and were asked to form a team.

If they don't make some moves in free agency next season, people will start calling for Hinkie's head.

They'll get another top 3 draft pick this season, and if Embiid is healthy, Noel is a good trade piece. They need to start winning, not accumulating more second rounders and playing dogshit hoops.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: November 22, 2015, 03:45:28 am »
Another great stat for Porzingis, 24 pos, 14 boards, 7 BLOCKS!

Porzingis becomes the second player in league history other than Shaq to record 24 Pts 14 Rebs 7 Blks as a 20 year old or younger.

I hope he gets ROY but that's probably K A Towns's to lose
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 03:52:20 am by elsewhere »

Offline Doc Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: November 22, 2015, 06:03:35 pm »
I've always felt Doc Rivers was overrated as a coach. Does a great job being a player coach, and motivating them, but his X's and O's aren't his best assets. The title run with Garnett, Truth, and Allen, helped convince people of his credentials, but there are far better coaches out there. Clippers would benefit from a Rick Carlisle type of coach. You know, a coach that actually knows how to get his teams executing and playing at their potential.

Back to the Knicks, Prozingis carrying the Knicks to a win over the Rockets. Great stat line, 24pts, 14 reb, 7 blocks, and some clutch free throws (and rebounds) down the stretch. Managed to block two Harden layups in the last few minutes as well. I can't remember the last time the Knicks won with Melo scoring only 14 points. Knicks are 8-6, with almost as many away wins already as we managed the whole of last year.

Online Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: November 22, 2015, 06:04:40 pm »
and on a related story:

Jonas Valanciunas Breaks Bone In Non-Shooting Hand

Jonas Valanciunas broke a bone in his left hand during Friday's game.

Valanciunas will undergo further tests before the Toronto Raptors determine how long he will be sidelined.

Valanciunas broke the same bone -- in his right hand -- during his 2012-13 rookie season and missed 18 games.

"It's unfortunate, and we're definitely going to miss him because of what we do, so it's next man up right now," Kyle Lowry said.

Yep, huge loss  :(

Offline Kopenhagen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: November 23, 2015, 11:46:29 pm »
I hope he gets ROY but that's probably K A Towns's to lose

Def. KAT's stats so far are so, so good.

Honestly, this looks the best rookie class in quite a while. Lots of entertaining guys. Okafor looks like he's hating his life, though.  ;D
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline Romeo Sensini

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: November 23, 2015, 11:59:29 pm »
Okafor looks like he's hating his life, though.  ;D
Maybe if Okafor played some semi-decent defense, he would be less miserable. :)

I can't imagine him being any happier in LA either. Really interested to see if Porzingis and KAT can maintain their form.

Offline Kopenhagen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: November 24, 2015, 03:06:59 am »
Maybe if Okafor played some semi-decent defense, he would be less miserable. :)

I can't imagine him being any happier in LA either. Really interested to see if Porzingis and KAT can maintain their form.

Your Sixers might win here tonight.

Offline Romeo Sensini

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: November 24, 2015, 03:34:10 am »
Your Sixers might win here tonight.

This is all your fault.   :nirnir

I seriously question Brett Brown's ability to manage games and call plays.

Offline Kopenhagen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: November 24, 2015, 03:38:13 am »
Wiggins.  8)

Offline Doc Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: November 24, 2015, 05:57:50 pm »
Def. KAT's stats so far are so, so good.

Honestly, this looks the best rookie class in quite a while. Lots of entertaining guys. Okafor looks like he's hating his life, though.  ;D

Town's is a stud. I think he's going to develop into a great post presence, and if he gets the ROTY award at season's end, I wouldn't begrudge him it.

But Porzingis is something different. I've been watching the NBA since the 80s, and I can't remember anyone with his skill set, physical attributes, and intangibles. He's 7-3, great shooting touch, 3 point shooter, cleans the boards at a healthy rate, has great feet movement (on the defensive end, and offensive end), and has a defensive IQ. A lot of players 6-11 and above tend to lack a real feel for the game. Mostly because they might have played basketball simply because they were tall, and everyone expected them to. And because of their height advantage throughout highschool and college, they tend to mostly play with their "height" as a tactic, as opposed to playing with their mind. It's why we end up with so many 7 footers that are atrocious shooters and lack high basketball IQs (think Howard, DeAndre Jordan). It's the exceptions that tend to became game changers, centers that can defend and shoot, that can rebound and find the open man (think Hakeem, Robinson, Ewing). But even in those cases, Porzingis offers something different. He's not as mobile as an Hakeem or David, but he's faster than the average center, and he's certainly faster than any 7 footer. And he's got the shooting range of a guard. In the current small ball era, he's is the absolute perfect small ball center.

I think he'll play pf until his later years when he'll switch to center (kinda like Duncan), but I wouldn't be surprised if the Knicks start rolling out a small ball lineup with Porzingis at center, Melo at pf, and Afflalo at sf. And I think in the long run, bar injury, he'll be seen as the gem of a fantastic rookie batch.

Right now, all the Knicks fans are drinking the Porzingis cool aid, and quite frankly, he's our most consistent player over the last month. I think getting the 4th pick might have actually helped Jackson make the gamble that changes our fortunes.

Offline Doc Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: November 24, 2015, 06:00:08 pm »
And before I forget, Fisher is still the worst coach in the NBA. Just a few points below Kidd and Byron Scott (the second most overrated coach in the NBA)

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: November 24, 2015, 09:07:45 pm »
Hasn't Scott's treatment of Russell been a bit odd? I read that Russell hasn't even got off the bench in a few 4th quarters in even in blow out losses
He is coaching for wins ( Prob his last HC job ) but we have a team that needs a teacher who understands that there wont be many wins. Leads to him being benched for Lou Williams and Kobe taking all kinds of shots with no culpability.

Offline Kopenhagen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: November 24, 2015, 09:44:47 pm »
Andy Bailey @AndrewDBailey
There's been 774 individual seasons in which a player averaged 16 FGA. Kobe Bryant's 2015-16 TS% ranks 774th. Curry's '15-16 TS% ranks 1st.

Online Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: November 24, 2015, 09:47:50 pm »
He is coaching for wins ( Prob his last HC job ) but we have a team that needs a teacher who understands that there wont be many wins. Leads to him being benched for Lou Williams and Kobe taking all kinds of shots with no culpability.

Playing Kobe is hurting the team, there's no doubt about that. 33% from the field and 20% from deep, 6-22 the other night against Portland, those are atrocious numbers

Offline Kopenhagen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: November 24, 2015, 10:08:54 pm »
Playing Kobe is hurting the team, there's no doubt about that. 33% from the field and 20% from deep, 6-22 the other night against Portland, those are atrocious numbers

And Byron says Kobe has "earned the right" to take those shots.  :duh

Offline Romeo Sensini

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: November 25, 2015, 12:04:47 am »
And before I forget, Fisher is still the worst coach in the NBA. Just a few points below Kidd and Byron Scott (the second most overrated coach in the NBA)
Hopefully he doesn't run Porzingis into the ground. He was only averaging about 20 mins per game over in Europe, with a shorter season. He played +35 mins the last two games already.

Offline 21

• Barrack-room Hutz
  • Kopite
« Reply #109 on: November 25, 2015, 06:38:45 am »
So Kobe shot 1/14 today..........one made bucket from fourteen shots......

is quite sad the decline of a legend.

Offline Doc Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: November 25, 2015, 09:03:59 am »
Hopefully he doesn't run Porzingis into the ground. He was only averaging about 20 mins per game over in Europe, with a shorter season. He played +35 mins the last two games already.

A lot of the discussion after our most recent game (loss against Miami) was on the subject of Fisher overplaying Porzingis. We were facing a double digit deficit with 5 minutes left, and Fisher kept Porzingis on even after he'd sub'd our other starters. In fact, out of all our games this season, it was surprising that Fisher chose to play Porzingis his most minutes this season in a game where Miami were truly dominant. We're calling this act of doing the inexplicable as"doing a Fisher".

On the subject of Kobe. Always was, always will be, a serial chucker with alpha male syndrome switched to the max. You don't to become one of the all time scorers in the NBA by deferring and picking the best option. Kobe shoots, and he'll probably only stop chucking up shots when he's retired. I can't ever envision a scenario in which Kobe defers to another player. In his mind, he's always the best option to take a shot.

Online Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: November 25, 2015, 11:44:44 am »
And Byron says Kobe has "earned the right" to take those shots.  :duh

Kobe has never looked at a shot he doesn't like  ;D

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #112 on: November 25, 2015, 11:54:31 am »
Paul George is an immense player. He has actually come back a better player after his horrific injury. Vs. Washington last night he had 40 points, 8 rebounds, 4 assists, 2 steals and 4 turnovers. He has been stunning in almost every single game this season.

His handling seems awkward/off at times yet there are times that he makes some excellent crossover dribbling that sends the opponent the other way. The only aspect that I want him to "improve" is driving to the basket more than he does. Instead he maybe falls in love too much with the jump shot (which is falling right now and is really good in general).

PS: We had 19/26 3's last night  :lmao Franchise record that.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #113 on: November 25, 2015, 01:24:22 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/tpIetGwOTyY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/tpIetGwOTyY</a>

Online Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: November 26, 2015, 01:56:43 am »
What an absolutely awful first quarter of basketball in San Antonio, so little athleticism on the court it's unreal.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: November 26, 2015, 02:52:49 am »
You know,  annoying thing is Kobe Bryant will still make the All Star game this year again.

He will still retain fan support because his fans are as delusional as himself. He made it last 2 seasons undeservedly.
Not only made it, he was Top 5 in all votes. I will say one of the ways to prevent people like him or (Iverson in the past) to get it is,
he shouldn't be even on the ballot/shortlist. That fan voting is embarassing, maybe this is the year they fix it.

Online Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: November 26, 2015, 02:53:50 am »
Philadelphia snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, had to win that game from the position they were in. Turnover after turnover towards the end, I'd absolutely loathe to be a Philly supporter! Raps manage to beat the Cavs, very good win and not one I expected to be honest.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: November 26, 2015, 02:56:51 am »
I fckin hate the fact that they keep showing Drake after every basket, just stop it ffs. We get it, he is a rapper and Raptors fan.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: November 26, 2015, 02:58:49 am »
Philadelphia snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, had to win that game from the position they were in. Turnover after turnover towards the end, I'd absolutely loathe to be a Philly supporter! Raps manage to beat the Cavs, very good win and not one I expected to be honest.

Rockets- Grizz good game, 4 th just started.

http://vipbox.biz/basketball/watch-1mfql-memphis-grizzlies-houston-rockets

Online Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: November 26, 2015, 03:02:04 am »
Rockets- Grizz good game, 4 th just started.

http://vipbox.biz/basketball/watch-1mfql-memphis-grizzlies-houston-rockets

Cheers  :) Rockets really struggling this season, 1-6 in the past 7 games and have it to do in this one too!