Author Topic: NBA Discussion  (Read 611387 times)

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: NBA Season 2016-17 Discussion
« Reply #2200 on: March 27, 2017, 10:56:01 pm »
Shaq pointing at his big ass?

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2201 on: March 27, 2017, 11:39:42 pm »
Shaq pointing at his big ass?

"Kobe how my ass tastes"

Offline Greatness

• Spineless and gutless
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2202 on: March 28, 2017, 08:17:20 am »
Cavs got embarrassed last night against the Spurs, scoring only 73 points and losing by 29.

Celtics number 1 seed now in the East, can't believe I'm saying this but I could see a realistic chance now that Clevland don't make the finals this year.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2203 on: March 28, 2017, 10:21:26 am »
It's been coming and they play in a few days, it should feel like a play-off game.
That being said, i think Cavs will win the East even if they are the 8th seat. Longer play off series can take away the extra rest they got like last year.

Offline Greatness

• Spineless and gutless
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2204 on: March 28, 2017, 11:01:31 am »
It's been coming and they play in a few days, it should feel like a play-off game.
That being said, i think Cavs will win the East even if they are the 8th seat. Longer play off series can take away the extra rest they got like last year.
Think the East is tougher than it was last year, I still got Cleveland as the favorites to reach the finals but I wouldn't be as shocked if they don't compared to if someone told me they wouldn't make the finals at the start of the season.

Offline Working Class Hen-Pecked Hero

• Is something to be...Lives at 999 Letsby Avenue.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2205 on: March 28, 2017, 11:20:53 am »
Didn't look like anything the elbow on LeBron, seemed inocuous. Just felt like Cabs were flat and he just sacked it off  ;D
I'm telling you, Bowie died and it's all gone to fuck.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2206 on: March 28, 2017, 12:11:31 pm »
Think the East is tougher than it was last year, I still got Cleveland as the favorites to reach the finals but I wouldn't be as shocked if they don't compared to if someone told me they wouldn't make the finals at the start of the season.

As a Warriors fan I would love them to play 7 games each round. (Well, except I will take if they will lose 4-0 in 1st round). So, I certainly hope you are right and they won't cruise to the finals easily. What's more alarming for the Cavs more than possibly losing the home court is their record in last 15 games. They are 6-9. That shows they are vulnerable and 1 injury away if they deal with an injury to their big 3. We were shaky after Durant injury but we seem to be on a good run and gel well even without Durant.

Offline Gods_Left_Boot

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2207 on: March 28, 2017, 01:57:10 pm »

It is in the sense that Boston, Washington and Toronto are all markedly better than they were a year ago, and probably every single one of them would be the toughest challenge to the LeBron-led team since the Pacers in 2013 and 2014, but come playoffs time the Cavs will turn a couple of screws defensively and quit with the resting and the dicking about and they'll still be the prohibitive favourites, bar a LeBron injury.

At least there'll be some decent matchups and the Cavs won't be able to sleepwalk their way to the Finals like it's happened in the last two seasons, that's already something.
September 12, 2012:Truth today, justice tomorrow.

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world.

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2208 on: March 28, 2017, 04:53:47 pm »
Just watched Cavs game they really did get battered. The 'elbow' on LeBron looked soft at best, I ageee I reckon he just jibbed it off!

Teams have off games during the season though, I know they've had more than you'd expect but they'll be the team to beat in the play-offs.

Offline LFC_1981

• Legacy Fan
  • The Glory round Anfield Road!
« Reply #2209 on: March 28, 2017, 05:58:35 pm »
Hopefully Bulls batter Cavs on Thursday too. Bulls played really well against Bucks last game, they need to find that  consistency again and start that five they did. Fuck know why Rondo was benched earlier on.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 08:07:06 pm by LFC_1981 »

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2210 on: March 29, 2017, 08:54:59 am »
Nurkic 33 pts and 16 bords agaist his old team Nuggets in a win. If Denver misses the 8th spot to Portland, Denver GM has a lot of explaining to do.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2211 on: March 29, 2017, 09:31:50 am »
Rockets GS was quality. Beard another triple double, Klay on form and Curry's last 3 from deep. Restored some faith in fast ball from both sides. Last few NBA matches I've seen have been slow. See cavs

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2212 on: March 29, 2017, 06:28:06 pm »
Rockets GS was quality. Beard another triple double, Klay on form and Curry's last 3 from deep. Restored some faith in fast ball from both sides. Last few NBA matches I've seen have been slow. See cavs

Didn't watch but stats say Harden had a terrible night despite triple double. Only 5-20 shooting with 6 turnovers.

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2213 on: March 30, 2017, 02:33:03 am »
Westbrook just hit a late 3 to take the Thunder-magic game into OT...they were down by quite a lot late in the game.

And then GSW goes into the san Antonio...falls behind by a million and then spanks them. Their best win of the year.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 05:00:08 am by b_joseph »

Offline Gods_Left_Boot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2214 on: March 30, 2017, 07:00:03 am »
Ridiculous stuff by the Warriors in San Antonio... Started off trailing 26-5 with 4 minutes left in the first and end up winning comfortably, on the second leg of a back to back after winning in Houston last night. Plus, Durant will apparently be back for the last few games of the regular season.

Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world.

Offline Greatness

• Spineless and gutless
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2215 on: March 30, 2017, 10:10:17 am »
Curry outplayed all 3 MVP contenders, in their own building in the last week.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2216 on: March 30, 2017, 11:21:40 am »
terrible performance by us after being up 20

Offline Gods_Left_Boot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2217 on: March 30, 2017, 11:43:58 am »
Curry outplayed all 3 MVP contenders, in their own building in the last week.

Probably I'd still vote for Kawhi for MVP (as I probably value offensive efficiency and defensive contribution higher than many other people), but it's really close, and it's really down to the personal idea and definition of "most valuable". There are 4 absolutely outstanding candidates, all of which would've won at a canter in virtually any other year in recent memory.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2218 on: March 31, 2017, 09:59:46 pm »
Portland is 13-3 in their last 16, they have been playing like a top 4 seat in the West since Nurkic trade. Nuggets schedule is brutal so they won't make the play offs imo.

Not happy we will play them in the first round.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2219 on: April 1, 2017, 09:22:06 am »
Not only we won vs Rockets, we held them below 100 pts, somehing that hasn't been done since mid November. Grear contribution by Mcgee, 13 pts and 5 blocks only in 11 mins.

Offline Shaved Crossbar

• shits from the hip
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2220 on: April 1, 2017, 01:25:13 pm »
What other side? He said GM's have shown poor judgement of international players; citing examples where teams have wasted top-two picks on rubbish only supports the argument. I also don't understand how you can aggressively demand numbers to back up his stance when his post contains seven specific, enumerated pieces of evidence.

GMs show poor judgement of all players. His main issue was GMs picking 'sleepers' late. My point was that the draft is a crapshoot in almost all instances and that there's no validity in saying GMs are worse with international players unless you decide to show a comprehensive overview of the % of 'successful' international players vs 'successful' national players, with an average of their draft pick, or something similar.  International players come with far more issues than national players, and very often never end up coming over at all. Look at all the wasted second rounders on them. Also at the bold, lol, do you want a tissue?

Offline Shaved Crossbar

• shits from the hip
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2221 on: April 1, 2017, 01:30:12 pm »
I think I'm finally edging towards Westbrook as MVP.

I've argued Harden's case strongly all season, but I think Westbrook is dragging his team in a way that Harden isn't. It's a week by week thing though, so I expect when Harden gets over his injury and comes back all guns blazing, I'll flop back to him.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2222 on: April 1, 2017, 03:56:34 pm »
Spurs were atrocious for the first two quarters, and were down by 20 in the 3rd  as well, and end up winning, tremendous stuff.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2223 on: April 2, 2017, 01:51:06 pm »
Tracy McGrady voted into Basketball Hall of Fame but Ben Wallace is not, quite stupid imo. He's a champion, 3 time all nba 2nd team, 2 time all nba third team, 4 time all star, 4 time defensive player of the year winner. Even Chris Webber should be in ahead of TMac imo.

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2224 on: April 2, 2017, 02:04:03 pm »
Tracy McGrady voted into Basketball Hall of Fame but Ben Wallace is not, quite stupid imo. He's a champion, 3 time all nba 2nd team, 2 time all nba third team, 4 time all star, 4 time defensive player of the year winner. Even Chris Webber should be in ahead of TMac imo.
tmac is valid - don't forget his was massively popular in his peak and was one of the top scorers in the league (plus very popular in Asia), Ben Wallace I can kind of understand why he wasn't as he wasn't that great from memory before or after the pistons, if he missed out but someone like Bruce Bowen got in then yeah it'd be unfair but I don't think tmac getting in over him is wrong at all, not as if he was on the level of rodman.

Webber has been eligible for a while, think his early years may have been held against him (from memory he was a bit of a wanker when he was with golden state and kept them down for a while when he cried out), always felt he was a bit unfilled potential more than anything - would take a pau gasol for example over him every day of the week (and I'd say Webber is the more talented one, but Pau will be a first ballot hall of famer)

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2225 on: April 2, 2017, 02:32:50 pm »
tmac is valid - don't forget his was massively popular in his peak and was one of the top scorers in the league (plus very popular in Asia), Ben Wallace I can kind of understand why he wasn't as he wasn't that great from memory before or after the pistons, if he missed out but someone like Bruce Bowen got in then yeah it'd be unfair but I don't think tmac getting in over him is wrong at all, not as if he was on the level of rodman.

Webber has been eligible for a while, think his early years may have been held against him (from memory he was a bit of a wanker when he was with golden state and kept them down for a while when he cried out), always felt he was a bit unfilled potential more than anything - would take a pau gasol for example over him every day of the week (and I'd say Webber is the more talented one, but Pau will be a first ballot hall of famer)

Ben Wallace actually won 49 games with Chicago and a playoff series as possibly the most impactful player. That is more than McGrady ever did in his career. He then went to Cleveland won another playoff series and took the eventual champions to 7 games.

Here is my point, Tmac's impact was really overrated and his peak wasn't one of the best over the past 20 years imo. Ben Wallace's impact was really underrated. Ben brought his Pistons past McGrady's Magic in McGrady's peak year. McGrady was better in many ways but I don't think it was as clear cut when you include playoff success in particular. I don't think the individual gap is so huge but the team success gap is. Wallace probably also deserved more recognition for finals MVP. He was the most important piece back then and Chauncey winning it was like the year Parker won it over Duncan. Chauncey was great, but instead of someone like Shaq he was going up against a washed up Gary Payton and no defense Derek Fisher.

One of the best defenders ever who proved to be a championship piece while having to go against Shaq for his championship and against Duncan the next year before losing in a close game 7. It's not McGrady's fault Wallace didn't make it but I think Wallace deserves it more.

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2226 on: April 2, 2017, 04:04:15 pm »
Ben Wallace actually won 49 games with Chicago and a playoff series as possibly the most impactful player. That is more than McGrady ever did in his career. He then went to Cleveland won another playoff series and took the eventual champions to 7 games.

Here is my point, Tmac's impact was really overrated and his peak wasn't one of the best over the past 20 years imo. Ben Wallace's impact was really underrated. Ben brought his Pistons past McGrady's Magic in McGrady's peak year. McGrady was better in many ways but I don't think it was as clear cut when you include playoff success in particular. I don't think the individual gap is so huge but the team success gap is. Wallace probably also deserved more recognition for finals MVP. He was the most important piece back then and Chauncey winning it was like the year Parker won it over Duncan. Chauncey was great, but instead of someone like Shaq he was going up against a washed up Gary Payton and no defense Derek Fisher.

One of the best defenders ever who proved to be a championship piece while having to go against Shaq for his championship and against Duncan the next year before losing in a close game 7. It's not McGrady's fault Wallace didn't make it but I think Wallace deserves it more.

ben Wallace had better teammates than mcgrady, especially in Detroit. Had the Orlando plan of grant hill and tmac gone to plan he could have had a lot more post season success, plus I don't think Ben Wallace should be a first ballot hall of famer, to be honest as good as that pistons team was none of them were first ballots as individuals but that team should be.

And when it comes to what ifs, pistons pick Melo/bosh/wade instead of darko, hell even josh Howard and they probably win at least one more

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2227 on: April 2, 2017, 08:32:18 pm »
In terms of per 100 possessions offensive and defensive rating...Ben Wallace was actually a more impactful net positive than McGrady. Its true that McGrady played on worse teams, especially in his prime but even still, Wallace had a better influence. Largely because of his defense.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2228 on: April 2, 2017, 08:36:07 pm »
In terms of per 100 possessions offensive and defensive rating...Ben Wallace was actually a more impactful net positive than McGrady. Its true that McGrady played on worse teams, especially in his prime but even still, Wallace had a better influence. Largely because of his defense.

Exactly and that's my point. It's like they value empty stats more than efficient and consistent defense.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2229 on: April 2, 2017, 08:39:39 pm »
Derrick Rose suffers torn meniscus.

Ouch, i wonder if any team will approach him this summer after this news. Literally worst time to suffer a big injury. A mistake of Rose is he has not changed his game much, he should have started modifying it after the 2013 injury. You don't have that speed, athleticism anymore son.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2230 on: April 3, 2017, 11:52:57 am »
Some crazy fight in the East for play-off's. only 3 games separate the 6th from 10th with 5 games to go.
Heat shooting themselves in the foot by losing to Knicks and now Denver at home.

Also it's crazy to throw games at the moment but one wonders, would you prefer to be 8th and face Celtics or get 7th spot to face the Cavs?

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2231 on: April 5, 2017, 03:13:43 pm »
what happened to the good people of the NBA thread? Play off's start in 10 days, weird time to disappear from here ;)

Pistons Regret Not Sitting Reggie Jackson Earlier

Pelicans Optimistic About Davis-Cousins Pairing After Late Season Surge

Frank Vogel Meets With Aaron Gordon About Dario Saric Trade Rumor

Jrue Holiday Has Enjoyed Fit With Pelicans Since Trade For Cousins

Rob Pelinka May Have Five-Year, $20M+ Contract With Lakers

Carmelo Anthony Looking Forward To Exit Meeting With Phil Jackson

Most Teams Giving 'Very Slight Edge' To Markelle Fultz Over Lonzo Ball

Giannis Antetokounmpo, Damian Lillard Named Players Of The Month For March

Buddy Hield, Dario Saric Named Rookies Of The Month For March

Jason Kidd, Terry Stotts Named Coaches Of The Month

Patrick Ewing Agrees To Become Head Coach Of Georgetown

Offline pyroparty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2232 on: April 6, 2017, 08:17:31 am »
That might stem the excitement a bit that anyone in the East can bother the Cavs, they've got no chance!

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2233 on: April 6, 2017, 04:57:18 pm »
That might stem the excitement a bit that anyone in the East can bother the Cavs, they've got no chance!

Yeah Boston were poor just finished watching the full game, thought it would have been a lot tighter.

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2234 on: April 6, 2017, 05:36:01 pm »
if Lowry is back I reckon Toronto will make it tough for them

Offline Doc Red

• Chills before posting and wishes others had too
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The eye cannot see what the mind does not know.
« Reply #2235 on: April 6, 2017, 05:53:06 pm »
Bar the MVP debate, there really isn't that much intrigue left, at least for me.
I'm predicting Cavs to stroll through the East and face either the Warriors or the Spurs (my pick in the West).
Boston has no chance against the Cavs, if they make it that far they'll be smacked 4-1 at best.
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.
There go my people. I must follow them, for I am their leader.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2236 on: April 6, 2017, 08:54:38 pm »
Bar the MVP debate, there really isn't that much intrigue left, at least for me.
I'm predicting Cavs to stroll through the East and face either the Warriors or the Spurs (my pick in the West).
Boston has no chance against the Cavs, if they make it that far they'll be smacked 4-1 at best.

Celtics looked good though. Cavs just bullied them, its like LeBron remembered who he was

Offline Shaved Crossbar

• shits from the hip
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2237 on: April 7, 2017, 12:45:16 pm »
Celtics looked good though. Cavs just bullied them, its like LeBron remembered who he was

You think the Celtics looked good in that game?

Their much lauded perimeter D was nothing, Horford was completely absent, and they got destroyed in every facet of the game. LeBron was in cruise control except the 2nd. I agree with Doc, they have no chance against the Cavs.

Offline Shaved Crossbar

• shits from the hip
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2238 on: April 7, 2017, 12:48:23 pm »
Warriors Portland
Spurs Griz
Rockets Thunder
Jazz Clips

Warriors Clips
Spurs Rockets

Warriors Spurs

Warriors

Not sure how the bottom of the East will end up yet (or the top) but I think LeBron probably has to go the Wiz and then the Raptors to meet the Warriors. I think he wins, too.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2239 on: April 7, 2017, 09:24:11 pm »
You think the Celtics looked good in that game?

Their much lauded perimeter D was nothing, Horford was completely absent, and they got destroyed in every facet of the game. LeBron was in cruise control except the 2nd. I agree with Doc, they have no chance against the Cavs.

They looked good prior to the Cavs is what I meant. Horford did his best Ozil impression granted, but I did have a bit more hope for them. I think it will be similar to what you think, it's only Spurs or Warriors but hopefully it will be tight