Author Topic: FIFA Investigated by FBI  (Read 230665 times)

Offline mallin9

• Legacy Fan
Re: FIFA Investigated by FBI
« Reply #2360 on: January 10, 2017, 06:39:22 pm »
Seems fine to me, more teams get a chance to qualify whilst the bigger countries who are likely to win still play the same number of games as they do now.

Yes, this past summer's Euro's was a joy in the group stages compared to previous Euros, the drama was OFF THE CHARTS KIMO SABE!

Or, it was like watching a clogged turd fail to flush after the first plunging.

Either way, pass the popcorn and please let me know to whom at FIFA I should direct my money order-- I've got to start chipping away at the extra $521 million in revenue they forecast.  It's for the Football Family after all!
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2361 on: January 10, 2017, 06:54:16 pm »

Yes. Abolish FIFA.

You seem to be arguing something irrelevant to this topic - that ALL international football is bad. It's an interesting discussion but it's in the wrong place and not relevant to FIFA expanding the World Cup.

Bollocks. Real football is far better. Even people in China and India can watch and enjoy club football, and see or support a team with a chance of winning something. Fat chance of that with either national side.

Current World Champions: Germany. Population of Germany (ie, everyone who actually supports Germany and a lot of people who don't give a fuck) 80m.
Previous: Spain, pop 47m, Italy, pop 60m, Brazil, 200m, France, 66m.

You're showing a lot of ignorance of how people enjoy football outside of your little bubble. The Chinese don't care about being in the World Cup because they also support successful club sides? And you can only enjoy a World Cup if your nation wins? Hilarious!

Yeah, nothing "sinister" about nationalism...

Beautiful strawman, bravo.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #2362 on: January 10, 2017, 06:58:11 pm »
You seem to be arguing something irrelevant to this topic - that ALL international football is bad. It's an interesting discussion but it's in the wrong place and not relevant to FIFA expanding the World Cup.

The thread's not actually about the World Cup. It's about the fact FIFA is corrupt. The sentiment that FIFA ought to be abolished is perfectly on topic here. Your posturing about Chinese kids getting all excited to watch their team lose a couple of WC games is less so.

You think the negative side of nationalism is a straw man? I invite you to study history. Pretty much any era. Open a history book at random, chances are you'll find some pretty hideous consequence of nationalism there. It's a bad thing. That was my point. How is that a straw man?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 06:59:48 pm by Nessy76 »
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2363 on: January 10, 2017, 07:17:43 pm »
The thread's not actually about the World Cup. It's about the fact FIFA is corrupt. The sentiment that FIFA ought to be abolished is perfectly on topic here. Your posturing about Chinese kids getting all excited to watch their team lose a couple of WC games is less so.

Oh fair enough. Well all the posts today before and after, and the post you originally replied to, were all about FIFA expanding the World Cup, so forgive me for assuming that you were also on about that. You know, what with replying to a post about it. Apologies, you obviously just fancied plonking your "imagine there's no borders" spiel somewhere.

You think the negative side of nationalism is a straw man? I invite you to study history. Pretty much any era. Open a history book at random, chances are you'll find some pretty hideous consequence of nationalism there. It's a bad thing. That was my point. How is that a straw man?

No, I think your ridiculous conflation of 'the wrongs of FIFA expanding the World Cup' with 'nationalism' is a strawman. And now you've just strawmanned your strawman with this!

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #2364 on: January 10, 2017, 07:19:45 pm »

Possibly because precisely 1 conflict in history has started after a sporting contest?  And that lasted a week,  maybe, and had far larger casus belli than a football match.  The only way it could be a more strawman would be if you posted a picture of Worzel Gummidge.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2365 on: January 10, 2017, 07:27:20 pm »
Who gives a sweet fuck.
Only way international football gets by blood going these days is if Liverpool players are injured while serving that pointless duty.

Offline mallin9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2366 on: January 10, 2017, 07:45:15 pm »
Oh fair enough. Well all the posts today before and after, and the post you originally replied to, were all about FIFA expanding the World Cup, so forgive me for assuming that you were also on about that. You know, what with replying to a post about it. Apologies, you obviously just fancied plonking your "imagine there's no borders" spiel somewhere.

No, I think your ridiculous conflation of 'the wrongs of FIFA expanding the World Cup' with 'nationalism' is a strawman. And now you've just strawmanned your strawman with this!

May be time to walk away from the keyboard, just saying
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline Doc Red

• Chills before posting and wishes others had too
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The eye cannot see what the mind does not know.
« Reply #2367 on: January 10, 2017, 08:57:32 pm »
The first gripe I have with this is that though it may seem like it benefits smaller nations (they get the chance to experience their countrymen face off against the rest of the world in arguably the greatest global stage) the main benefit seems to be catering towards the larger nations (or nations with a stronger football heritage). It just making it even easier for the top footballing nations to make it to the knockout phases as they get a get-out-of-jail-free card should they mess up 1-2 of their group games.

Additionally, the group games seem slightly watered down with less meaning or "consequence" attached to their outcomes. What made world cup games enjoyable, even at the group stages, was the importance of each match. They may not be as cut-throat as a knockout win-or-you're-out level, but the first match was vital to getting one hand on qualification to the next round, and the subsequent two matches only intensified the consequence.

It was bad enough seeing Portugal qualify via three sleep inducing draws, but they may now become the template for many teams trying to scrape through to the next round. A bunch of Mourinho lites managing teams that play defensive football aiming for a point and hoping for a win whilst knowing draws still can get them through. The games will be dull and boring, and I predict we'll have the majority of groups with two teams on 1 point each with only the goal difference deciding the outcome.

Why stop at 48 teams? Heck, why not just make it 96 teams in the world cup and play it out over 4 years with a 2 week tournament held every 4 years encompassing the best 16 teams. Or place teams into groups of 12 that play each other over 4 years with the top 3 making it to the final knockout stage every 4th year, or place them at random and shoot penalties blindfolded and group them in tables depending on the levels of laughter created or have the qualifications decided by massive FIFA 17 gaming tournaments or....

Or maybe just stick with the 32 team format and make it enjoyable and easy to follow for fans. And spare a thought for the poor hosting nation that spent most of their disposable cash on bribes on their marketing campaign and infrastracture. Now they'll have to host 3000 matches over 3 weeks.
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.
There go my people. I must follow them, for I am their leader.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #2368 on: January 10, 2017, 08:58:44 pm »
Yay more international football!!

Said no one ever.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #2369 on: January 10, 2017, 11:18:33 pm »

I just questioned if competitive nationalism is a good thing. I wasn't replying to anyone specifically. If you don't like the question don't respond next time.

The conflation you just made up? Do you even know what a straw man is?  ;D ;D ;D
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2370 on: January 10, 2017, 11:55:46 pm »
I would have no problem if we walked away from FIFA, would love to see all the major footballing nations walk away and bring the whole house of cards down.corrupt to the core, only vote the person in who allows them to live the good life.sickening
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Doc Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2371 on: January 11, 2017, 12:17:10 am »
I would have no problem if we walked away from FIFA, would love to see all the major footballing nations walk away and bring the whole house of cards down.corrupt to the core, only vote the person in who allows them to live the good life.sickening

It's not as if it's only the FIFA officials that are corrupt and the rest of the FAs are innocent bystanders trapped by the current.
They've all got their fingers in each other's coat pockets hoping they pick up something valuable when they return home.
If more was done to force them to be more transparent and accountable, i.e have a truly independent body scrawl through their accounts on a yearly basis whilst also holding any and all officials accountable for transgressions. And whilst we're on the subject of Batman righteous problem solving; have another independent body keep an eye on misdealings and concerning deals, TV rights issues etc

Unless we can get the above, or the Justice League truly materialises, it'll be a case of same ol same ol, different day.
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2372 on: January 11, 2017, 12:28:43 am »
It's not as if it's only the FIFA officials that are corrupt and the rest of the FAs are innocent bystanders trapped by the current.
They've all got their fingers in each other's coat pockets hoping they pick up something valuable when they return home.
If more was done to force them to be more transparent and accountable, i.e have a truly independent body scrawl through their accounts on a yearly basis whilst also holding any and all officials accountable for transgressions. And whilst we're on the subject of Batman righteous problem solving; have another independent body keep an eye on misdealings and concerning deals, TV rights issues etc

Unless we can get the above, or the Justice League truly materialises, it'll be a case of same ol same ol, different day.
Totally agree. each country's FA vote their man into power and they know hes corrupt. he comes back with the cash and spreads it around, build a little football field somewhere to keep the locals happy. thats why every corrupt FIFA official from a corrupt FA country is replaced by another corrupt official.
It's time we accepted they are beyond reform. the set up of the system makes this impossible.
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #2373 on: January 11, 2017, 09:03:11 am »
haha
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #2374 on: January 11, 2017, 09:15:16 am »
Radio producer on twitter worked out what a 48 team 2026 USA-held WC would look like with the proposed regional breakdown and taking the top x countries from those confeds, and keeping the usual group rules. The group stage looks...not good

"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Online stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #2375 on: January 11, 2017, 09:21:05 am »
Too many bloody countries. 16 groups is just ridiculous...

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #2376 on: January 11, 2017, 10:33:52 am »
Radio producer on twitter worked out what a 48 team 2026 USA-held WC would look like with the proposed regional breakdown and taking the top x countries from those confeds, and keeping the usual group rules. The group stage looks...not good

Couple of good groups in there actually.  The England and France groups look tasty.  They wouldn't have more than one European team in a group though, I wouldn't've thought.

Oh, and still Scotland don't qualify. :/
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 10:35:38 am by Iska »

Offline Doc Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2377 on: January 11, 2017, 07:38:48 pm »
haha

Ha!
Do they still make panini stickers for the tournaments?
I still remember the Italia 90 ones, though never did complete it, mostly seemed to pick up stickers from the West Germany squad and the Scottish squad.

Online oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #2378 on: February 9, 2017, 06:28:00 pm »
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline dalarr

• hästarr. Call me sensitive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2379 on: February 16, 2017, 02:45:52 pm »
http://m.bbc.com/sport/football/38992310
World Cup 2018: Fifa president Gianni Infantino 'not concerned' about hooligan threat at Russia World Cup

He has "full confidence" in the Russian authorities to combat any trouble next summer.
That's fine by me. I have the utmost faith in both FIFA and the Russian authorities.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #2380 on: February 16, 2017, 04:29:26 pm »
Apparently the BBC are to reveal details of how hooligan gangs were supported and organized by the Russian government..

Why?  Who knows?
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline mallin9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2381 on: February 16, 2017, 06:28:19 pm »
Funny how I had faith the DOJ-led investigation would actually lead anywhere.  More fool me
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline mersey_paradiso

• Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool's where I belong
« Reply #2382 on: March 24, 2017, 02:22:38 am »
Franz Beckenbauer questioned by prosecutors in 2006 World Cup fraud inquiry

German football legend Franz Beckenbauer has been questioned by Swiss prosecutors over suspected corruption linked to the 2006 World Cup.
Mr Beckenbauer is being investigated along with three other members of the competition's organising committee.
The four are suspected of fraud, criminal mismanagement, money laundering and misappropriation.
Mr Beckenbauer, who headed the bid in 2000, has previously denied corruption.
"Today I was interviewed as part of a long scheduled hearing by the Swiss federal prosecutor," Mr Beckenbauer, 71, said, adding: "I answered his questions."
The former Germany captain said he would not share more details of the case "out of respect for the prosecutor's office".
The Swiss attorney general's office told the Associated Press news agency that Mr Beckenbauer had been "co-operative".

The investigation into allegations that four members of the 2006 World Cup organising committee were involved in fraud and money laundering began in 2015.
The other three suspects under criminal investigation are former presidents of the German Football Association (DFB) Wolfgang Niersbach and Theo Zwanziger, and former secretary-general of the DFB Horst Rudolf Schmidt.
Tax authorities raided the DFB headquarters after it emerged that a secret payment of 6.7m euros (£4.6m; $7.2m) was made to Fifa in 2005.
The case first made headlines in October 2015, when German news magazine Der Spiegel accused Germany of using a secret slush fund to buy Fifa votes in support of its bid to host the 2006 World Cup.
The money allegedly came from the late Robert Louis-Dreyfus, who in 2000 was head of German sportswear giant Adidas.
It was allegedly provided at the request of Mr Beckenbauer, who led the committee seeking to secure Germany's right to host the event.
He has previously admitted to making errors in relation to the bid but has denied deliberate wrongdoing.
Mr Beckenbauer played his first World Cup for West Germany in 1966 in England and captained the team to victory as hosts at the 1974 tournament.
The former defender went on to manage French side Marseille and German giants Bayern Munich.
RIP Alex Jarmay .                                           Justice  for the 97 YNWA

Mr Alex Ferguson on Anfield after St Etienne 77 : "I didn't walk away from the ground after the game, I floated out. I had been caught up in the most exciting football atmosphere I have ever experienced...these Liverpool fans support with PASSION"

Offline Buggy Eyes Alfredo

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #2383 on: April 8, 2017, 02:43:31 am »

Have annouced they lost nearly £300m in 2016 after paying out nearly £50m to lawyers last year.

Online Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #2384 on: July 13, 2017, 02:08:28 pm »
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Daniel Cabbaggio

• Roughage
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move, keep it simple = 19 & 6
    • www.redandwhitekop.com
« Reply #2385 on: July 13, 2017, 05:19:42 pm »
Chuck Blazer, the controversial and flamboyant American former Fifa official, has died, according to his lawyers.

The cause of his death, at the age of 72, is not yet clear, but in 2013 he told a court he had rectal cancer, diabetes and coronary artery disease.The former Fifa executive committee member, who was also the general secretary of Concacaf, was a central figure in the Fifa corruption scandal.

In that 2013 court appearance, he admitted to accepting bribes over the 1998 and 2010 World Cup bids and, when that information was made public two years later, was handed a lifetime ban from all football-related activities by Fifa.He turned whistleblower to aid the US government in its investigations into corruption within football’s world governing body and played a crucial role in the downfall of its long-time president, Sepp Blatter, and in prompting promises of reform within the organisation.

In a statement, his lawyers Eric Corngold and Mary Mulligan said Blazer had been instrumental in the development of football in the region, and his misconduct “should not obscure Chuck’s positive impact on international soccer”.The statement continued: “Chuck felt profound sorrow and regret for his action. He expressed sincere remorse towards his former constituents and colleagues, and to all of the soccer players disappointed by his conduct.”

A larger than life character, Blazer was known for his eccentricity. A resident of New York, he rented an apartment in Trump Tower along with a separate unit just for his cats, according to reports. He was often seen around the city with his pet macaw on his shoulder.

“With Chuck’s guidance and leadership, Concacaf transformed itself from impoverished to profitable, with substantial benefits and improvements to all member associations, players and fans,” the statement added.“Throughout his adult life, Chuck felt great pride in his service to soccer. In fact, he devoted 30 years of his life to soccer at all levels of the game, with his involvement ranging from coaching his children’s youth teams to serving on Fifa’s executive committee.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jul/13/chuck-blazer-former-fifa-official-whistleblower-dies-aged-72

I already knew of the bit in bold but fucking hell, reading it two years later is no less surreal
YNWA

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2386 on: July 15, 2017, 09:48:59 pm »
Gulf states want Qatar stripped of World Cup for promoting terrorism

Not for cheating and bribing their way to it of course

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-soccer-worldcup-qatar-idUSKBN1A00QO
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2387 on: July 16, 2017, 08:10:37 am »
Although it turns out the story was completely made up....

The world is mad..
W

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2388 on: July 16, 2017, 11:41:52 am »
If only.

Mind you, they sent Capone down for not doing his taxes rather than being a murdering gangster so maybe there's hope yet.  Unless this is another FBI investigation Trump wants to shut down?
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline dalarr

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2389 on: July 16, 2017, 08:35:43 pm »
IF the story had been true..among the nations that threatened to boycott the World Cup were Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Mauritania, the United Arab Emirates, Bahrain. The dip in quality without those mighty football nations would have been dramatic.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #2390 on: July 17, 2017, 06:50:55 am »
If only.

Mind you, they sent Capone down for not doing his taxes rather than being a murdering gangster so maybe there's hope yet.  Unless this is another FBI investigation Trump wants to shut down?

The irony of that as it's a Federal Crime he got done for, so he got sent to Alcatraz, had he been done for Murder he'd have gone to the state pen instead.
#Sausages

Online oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #2391 on: July 21, 2017, 01:49:01 pm »

'Fifa ethics committee was investigating Gianni Infantino over election expenses'... (before he organised the removal of the committee’s chairmen and members)

Fifa president allegedly under-declared money spent on election campaign
Infantino organised removal of committee’s chairman and members in May

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jul/21/fifa-investigating-gianni-infantino-election-expenses?CMP=share_btn_tw
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline mersey_paradiso

• Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool's where I belong
« Reply #2392 on: August 4, 2017, 02:36:00 am »
Sarko getting offically investigated now too over Qatar. About bloody time !!

Nicolas Sarkozy 'linked to vote buying probe' over awarding Qatar 2022 Fifa World Cup
Ex-French president backed Doha to get the 2022 tournament.

French investigators are investigating whether Nicolas Sarkozy received money at the time of Qatar's successful bid for the 2022 football World Cup.

The former French president was key to the support for Qatar's bid by France and other European countries.

A probe will look into whether he received any cash from business deals worth millions that were linked to Doha.

These include purchase of a 5% stake in a French utility firm Veolia by Qatari Diar in 2010, which had been run by Ghanim bin Saad al Saad.

Investigators want to trace €182m (£164m ) they think "may have been siphoned off on the sidelines" amid suspicions that some of the cash helped pay off officials involved in choosing the World Cup host country, the Telegraph reported.

Sarkozy is reportedly close to several Veolia executives. Questions have been swirling around how Qatar, where temperatures average over 40C, managed to get awarded the competition, and concerns were raised over the bidding process in an internal Fifa report by US lawyer Michael Garcia.

Investigators have spoken to ex-Fifa president Sepp Platter, who is understood to have revealed that ex-Uefa head, Michel Platini, said he and four other committee members had already decided to back Qatar's bid before the ballot even took place, the Telegraph reported.

There was said to be a meeting 10 days before the vote at the Élysée Palace between Sarkozy, Platini, and Qatari officials, during which Qatar agreed to buy Paris St Germain, now at the centre of a world record transfer from Barcelona of Neymar.

Sarkozy's lawyer, Thierry Herzog, said Garcia's report did not provide evidence linking Platini's vote with finance, while another source claimed the investigation was "politically motivated", the Telegraph reported.

However the development marks a twist in the claims of Qatari vote buying, which had previously centred on how former Qatari executive committee member, Mohammed Bin Hammam,paid officials through his company, although it was believed that he would not have done this on his own.

A spokesman for the Qatari organising committee said it "did not break any rules" and had not been approached by "any authority in relation to investigations".

Veolia, Mr al-Saad's GSS Group and Qatari Diar did not reply to requests for comment.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/nicolas-sarkozy-linked-vote-buying-probe-over-awarding-qatar-2022-fifa-world-cup-1633454

RIP Alex Jarmay .                                           Justice  for the 97 YNWA

Mr Alex Ferguson on Anfield after St Etienne 77 : "I didn't walk away from the ground after the game, I floated out. I had been caught up in the most exciting football atmosphere I have ever experienced...these Liverpool fans support with PASSION"

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2393 on: April 6, 2018, 10:11:03 pm »
Most senior FIFA Vice President to step down.

He cites family reasons, but it returns out his pet project in Oceania failed audit...

I wonder where the money went??

Audit?  Whats audit?

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/06/sports/soccer/fifas-vice-president-david-chung-resigns.html

I’m shocked I tell you!
W

Offline dalarr

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2394 on: April 13, 2018, 01:39:30 pm »
Fifa president Gianni Infantino wants to expand the 2022 World Cup in Qatar to 48 teams - which may mean matches being played in other Gulf states.

I think one comment hit the nail on the head: Infantino is Blatter with an Italian accent. The sooner the biggest football countries break away and form their own tournament the better.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/43750266

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2395 on: April 13, 2018, 01:40:38 pm »
Fifa president Gianni Infantino wants to expand the 2022 World Cup in Qatar to 48 teams - which may mean matches being played in other Gulf states.

I think one comment hit the nail on the head: Infantino is Blatter with an Italian accent. The sooner the biggest football countries break away and form their own tournament the better.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/43750266
Or an excuse to take the thing from Qatar all together. There is no way Saudi allows any other Gulf country to co-host with the Qataris.
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2396 on: April 25, 2018, 06:44:45 am »
2026 process not going so well then.  Who’d have guessed?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43885958
W

Online Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #2397 on: April 25, 2018, 01:41:21 pm »

It has to be a desperate bid when El Hadji Diouf is one of your ambassadors.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #2398 on: April 25, 2018, 01:41:31 pm »

And our old spitting friend Diouf involved
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2399 on: April 25, 2018, 01:47:41 pm »
So she didn't disclose Diouf was her cousin twice removed, so what?  ;D