Author Topic: The Serial Podcasts - 3rd series out now (April 2017)  (Read 29471 times)

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
The Serial Podcasts - 3rd series out now (April 2017)
« on: November 24, 2014, 11:37:15 am »
Anyone else listening to this? It's the most remarkable, vivid and gripping thing I've listened to in a long time.

One of the producers of This American Life - Sarah Koening - has created an episodic account of a Baltimore high school murder which happened in 1999. The man convicted of the murder, Adnan Sayed, has always claimed his innocence. In Serial, Koening interviews Sayed (via the prison phone) and dozens of other characters who were involved in the trial, in the hunt for the murderer and other members of the public linked to the case.

She recreates movements of the murderer and co-conspirators, tracks down old flames of the involved, speaks to teachers, lawyers and other public figures and looks at and examines the flaky evidence which lead to Sayed's eventual conviction. She is trying to find out the simple answer to a simple question - is Sayed guilty?

I've listened to it over and over and keep thinking different things.

Anyone else on it?
« Last Edit: April 5, 2017, 06:56:30 am by Lfsea »

Offline Shepnois

• Legacy Fan
  • Livin' in the Sunshine, Lovin' in the Moonlight
Re: Serial Podcast
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 12:44:28 pm »
Yep I'm currently hooked on this. It's a great concept and very well put together. There is no episode this week due to Thanksgiving which is annoying. I still haven’t made my mind up on Adnan, I keep flip flopping on his innocence but whatever took place Jay had a much bigger role in it. We may never find out unless this podcast reopens the case. I bet Jay is anxiously listening each week.

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 12:51:36 pm »
Yep I'm currently hooked on this. It's a great concept and very well put together. There is no episode this week due to Thanksgiving which is annoying. I still haven’t made my mind up on Adnan, I keep flip flopping on his innocence but whatever took place Jay had a much bigger role in it. We may never find out unless this podcast reopens the case. I bet Jay is anxiously listening each week.

On the flip-flopping, I feel that's where its genius lies. We roll with the punches like Koenig does. I'll be fascinated to see where it goes in the end.

I'm avoiding searching for information about Serial as I don't want to spoil its conclusion. Can't wait for more.

I'll definitely be donating for the second series.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 02:34:09 pm »
A wonderful new podcast has recently begun, called Serial.  Made by the producers of This American Life, it follows a single true story over a number of weeks. One episode is released each week. The first season is about a high school student in Baltimore convicted of murdering his ex-girlfriend without any physical evidence been presented in the case. It's absolutely riveting stuff.

Serial Is Like Nothing I’ve Heard or Watched Before - Slate

Posted this over a month ago in the Podcasts thread, after listening for a few weeks. Yes, I legitimately can claim to be on the front row of the bandwagon.

You guys should listen to me more  :D
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Serial - The Wire of Podcasts
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 04:54:50 pm »
Posted this over a month ago in the Podcasts thread, after listening for a few weeks. Yes, I legitimately can claim to be on the front row of the bandwagon.

You guys should listen to me more  :D

Funnily enough Ray, when I was searching for previous posts about Serial yours was the only one on RAWK. I figured that a reply would get totally lost, so started a thread.

What I didn't realise until this afternoon was that this is all very much up to date - they're writing and recording things as we type now. As such it's going to be fascinating to see where this goes - especially with regards to having the case examined by the retrial team at the university.

I'm captivated by the side characters in this and how their personalities and lives have changed over 15 years.

Adnan is such a weird one; he seems so accepting of everything. I wonder whether that's to do with being a practicing calm, good Muslim or whether in his heart and conscience he's accepted that he's in prison because he did do it.

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 05:15:13 pm »
Sounds interesting, this. Just downloading the first few.
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 05:22:44 pm »
Sounds interesting, this. Just downloading the first few.

I bet that within an hour, you'll have downloaded all 9 episodes.

Offline livesound

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 06:40:56 pm »
Listened to the 1st part. Quite interesting. Will download rest shortly.

Offline Geormajesty

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2014, 09:24:02 pm »
I reckon Adnan did it, I can't help but feel the ending's gonna be disappointing though.

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2014, 10:15:38 pm »

I bet that within an hour, you'll have downloaded all 9 episodes.

I downloaded all nine to begin with! Listened to the first one on the way home though, and it's really quite intriguing, isn't it? I genuinely have no idea which one is lying at this point either. I'm struggling to see the motive for Jay lying though.
Twitter | Blog

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2014, 10:26:24 am »
One thought on this:-

Would a journalist; a) have access to and b) be permitted to play live recordings, of court testimony? I'm fairly sure that happened in the first episode. I can understand a) being the case, but b)? I found that difficult to believe. Unless of course the case has been resolved one way or another, perhaps, and any restrictions around that relaxed as a result.

I dunno just one of the immediate thoughts I had as I was listening.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 11:13:33 am by Grobbelrevell »
Twitter | Blog

Offline Shepnois

• Legacy Fan
  • Livin' in the Sunshine, Lovin' in the Moonlight
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2014, 10:54:37 am »
As far as I'm aware in America court cases are often broadcast live on tv. There doesn’t seem to be the restrictions there are in other parts of the world. I doubt it’s very hard to gain access to court recordings/police interrogations for journalists over there.

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2014, 05:47:31 pm »
Monster, and I do mean monster post about the cell records pertaining to Adnan's case. Apparently it's a brilliant read, but I'm only part way through it so can't confirm:

http://viewfromll2.com/2014/11/23/serial-a-comparison-of-adnans-cell-phone-records-and-the-witness-statements-provided-by-adnan-jay-jenn-and-cathy/

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2014, 07:17:07 pm »
I just downloaded a episode 1 & 2.

Interesting and fascinating concept.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline realtarragona

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2014, 09:13:09 pm »
I reckon Adnan did it, I can't help but feel the ending's gonna be disappointing though.

It's possible. I was hoping we'd reach a sort of conclusion, uncover some evidence that shows who did it but if they're going along week by week then that seems unlikely.

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2014, 07:13:06 pm »
I've just listened to first episode and absolutely loved it. Will catch up with this, thanks for sharing
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2014, 07:59:55 pm »
I've just listened to first episode and absolutely loved it. Will catch up with this, thanks for sharing

The penultimate episode of the current series was released today. Slightly emotional it'll be finishing, to be honest.

Online Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2014, 01:23:01 am »
I started this today, one podcast down. My initial thought is the journo is too close, leading us down a certain path. But I'm assuming that will change. One a day on weekdays for me, looking forward to it.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline T-1000

• Legacy Fan
  • "I am focused on training and coaching my team"
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2014, 01:35:49 am »
There'll be no neat ending to this because it's a real case with real people. I think that the innocence project looking into the dna evidence will possibly bring something up but not within the timeline for the last episodes. This podcast has been one of the most fascinating and insightful things I've ever listened to
.....where once we watched the King Kenny play

Offline realtarragona

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2014, 09:11:30 am »
Don't think the last episode was particularly insightful.
Think it's being dragged out a little now and don't expect anything major next week.
Could probably have been wrapped up in 10 episodes. Unless they're keeping something for the last episode.

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2014, 10:41:52 am »
I'm five episodes in and still hooked. Find it hard to accept jay it's a credible source in the investigation given the inconsistencies in his story and no plausible explanation why adnan went to him or an exploration of their relationship. Nothing yet convinces me adnan did it but think that's coming to.

Fascinating though

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2014, 06:12:16 pm »
This is the aural equivalent of crack - you have been warned
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2014, 06:29:51 pm »
This is the aural equivalent of crack - you have been warned

When I started this thread I assumed loads of people would be all over it, but RAWK seems not to have taken to it so much. Strange.

Online Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2014, 06:37:45 pm »
It is strange.

I'm seven episodes in now. I don't know if Adnan did it, but it seems quite clear he shouldn't have gone down, based upon the prosecutions case.

Offline ncred

• ble
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2014, 07:03:52 pm »
I do think Adnan played some part in Hae's death, but I would think a better defense could have easily created some reasonable doubt and gotten him off.  I also don't understand how the jury found that it was pre-meditated.  The total lack of physical evidence is troubling.

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2014, 08:04:00 pm »
I can see what has happened

Spoiler
By the time of the trial the defence attorney has a great reputation but is in poor health and deteriorating. Her performance is already a train wreck, and she gets the mistrial when acquittal was on the cards. The new trial is far too much of a drain on her health, and her character (that whiny slow speed moan of a badgering she gives everyone) puts jurors off her, and very possibly subsequently her client at the same time. Jay presents as acceptable when he is clearly benefitting from the sentence he will not get, plus the Streaker is a big doubt who sounds black when there is a black majority Jury and a white defence attorney doing the aforementioned badgering. It is entirely to their credit that the final outcome is so in the air, with one episode to go
[close]
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline litliper

• Legacy Fan
  • Does anybody wanna buy a country?
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2014, 08:28:59 pm »
Even if he did it I have to agree with one of those students on the investigating team regarding the court case. She said: "mountains of reasonable doubt". Guilty or not guilty...the case was paperthin and that's what matters.

I also have to say that my gut feeling is that he is innocent.

Anyway this has been fascinating. Doubt we'll hear anything new in the last podcast. Safe to say that I, like many others, will be following how this all ends up in the coming years.
"My country is the world, and my religion to do good." (Thomas Paine)

Offline Geppvindh's

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2014, 05:48:38 pm »
Great show. It's quite a rage here in America. The beauty is we never know who did with certainty, not much has been given away yet. SK has kept reasonable doubt throughout, and has been largely objective about it. That conversation with Adnan where he loses it, the one where he says she needs to judge the case and not his character. Transcript below:

Spoiler
To be honest with you, it kinda- I feel like I want to shoot myself, if I hear someone else say, I don’t think he did it cause you’re a nice guy, Adnan. So I guess kinda, you know, cause you wouldn’t know that, but I hear people say that to me over the years and it just drives me crazy. I would love someone to hear, I would love to hear someone say, I don’t think that you did it because I looked at the case and it looks kind of flimsy. I would rather someone say, Adnan, I think you’re a jerk, you’re selfish, you know, you’re a crazy SOB, you should just stay in there for the rest of your life except that I looked at your case and it looks, you know, like a little off. You know like something’s not right.

I am rooting for Adnan. I am a normal guy, and really cannot be objective beyond a point. I really empathize with him, I still feel he's got some involvement in this but I would love to hear that he did not do it.
[close]
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 06:01:21 pm by Gerrvindh »

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2014, 06:21:35 pm »
On episode 8.

Anyone seen on the itunes store of a british version,only 1 episode yet so far i noticed.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2014, 08:26:01 pm »
On episode 5 so ignoring all posts in here just to say that the only link it has with The Wire is that they are both set in Baltimore.

So far I'm enjoying it, I'm pretty crap with staying with series from start to finish and the fact that this is a podcast Id figure Id struggle.

The real life aspect to this and the fact it is ongoing is the thing that draws me in the most.  It's also skillfully put together, Sarah Koenig at one stage says that "if we are going to solve the case together". I thought it was a nice way to draw in the listener and I was struck by the reality of the case.

Lets not forget how cool we are either to be on to it ;)

Online Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2014, 08:30:54 pm »
Even if it's a struggle, it's only 12 episodes long, so you should be fine KK.

I got the Mrs. on this on Saturday. She's already listened to all eleven! I should be finished in time for the last one on Thursday.

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2014, 08:36:04 pm »
On episode 5 so ignoring all posts in here just to say that the only link it has with The Wire is that they are both set in Baltimore.

It has two links.

1. That it is set in Baltimore
2. That it is, in my opinion, the finest piece of work in it's genre

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2014, 08:43:46 pm »
It has two links.

1. That it is set in Baltimore
2. That it is, in my opinion, the finest piece of work in it's genre
The Wire is my favourite series too, Serial is only my favourite by default as it's the only realty crime drama podcast Iv ever listened too. Can't be a whole pile out there, but as with a lot of things I'm probably wrong.

Offline 'Mondzz'

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2014, 08:52:05 pm »
Love the wire but have never listened to a podcast in my life. Downloading episode 1 now!
THOSE AREN'T FINGERS. THOSE ARE SCARF TASSELLS.

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2014, 10:27:16 pm »

So far I'm enjoying it, I'm pretty crap with staying with series from start to finish and the fact that this is a podcast Id figure Id struggle.

The real life aspect to this and the fact it is ongoing is the thing that draws me in the most.  It's also skillfully put together, Sarah Koenig at one stage says that "if we are going to solve the case together". I thought it was a nice way to draw in the listener and I was struck by the reality of the case.

Lets not forget how cool we are either to be on to it ;)

Sarah Keonig is sensational in this. I think I'm in love :D She has a perfect balance of talking about facts in a precise and concise manner but also making it conversational enough to keep the average joe interested. There's a real danger that something like this could turn into just a bunch of facts presented as if it were in a court room but she manages to present it like a story and that makes it even more astonishing it's a real life case.

It's a shame we don't have any interviews or anything with the key players from the last 15 years. Everything so far has been around the time of the first investigation or this year and of course very few people are going to remember real nitty gritty details of something that happened so long ago even if it was something as exceptional as a murder. I don't think it's also fair to judge Adnon's character by the way he talks about the case now. 15 years in prison is a long time, especially if he is not guilty (or as guilty as made out) and he sounds like he has a resignation in his voice.

Offline Disregarder

• Andshe'llripyerknackersoff
  • Anny Roader
  • TV's own
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2014, 10:31:07 pm »
I was a bit sceptical of the hype around this at first but the journalist's voice just draws you in during the first episode, even before the facts of the case begun to unfold and get you properly hooked.  Everything she says seems really measured and rational, although I wonder if she regrets stating in one of the early episodes that she thinks Adnan's not guilty.  Later on she appears to me to sit on the fence more often than not.

I've just listened to the penultimate episode and I agree somewhat with the comment above that it has begun to flag a little at the end - like The Wire then!  Both brilliant though and can't wait to find out what the second season will be about.  Still the final episode of this one to go...
My 8k rig goes boom
PSN: OireCocobean

Offline Mal

• adjusted. The Preston Heston is Aylesbury Ducked. Accepts rubbers from any Dick.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2014, 11:43:32 pm »
When I started this thread I assumed loads of people would be all over it, but RAWK seems not to have taken to it so much. Strange.

Dan, there are loads of RAWK good eggs I know who listen. They might not have contributed to this thread but they listen.

It is boss. 😎
@ManifoldReasons

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2014, 11:55:05 pm »
Dan, there are loads of RAWK good eggs I know who listen. They might not have contributed to this thread but they listen.

It is boss. 😎

'Tis indeed. My surprise was more that I thought more people would be keen on talking about it.

No one loves Sprouts' threads :(

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2014, 11:59:44 pm »
I don't see any type of resolution to come in the last episode.  It's not in the nature of the This American Life series - stuff gets left open and you're left wondering what exactly happened.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2014, 01:46:38 am »
Started listening to this today. Gripped me already, will be getting the rest downloaded tomorrow.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks