Author Topic: The Great British Bake Off  (Read 42114 times)

Online SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Great British Bake Off - 2014
« Reply #80 on: October 9, 2014, 10:53:57 am »
Even so - these three are supposed to be these great bakers. I expected a little more of a challenge for them.

They're supposed to be some of the best of Britain's amateur bakers though. Not great bakers who already work doing the bakes for posh restaurants. It all looked pretty difficult to me, and I'm from a family of keen bakers. The way they have to go through all the different aspects of it means you need really well-rounded technique to get through to the final. I'd be boss in bread week, for example, but utterly shite at patisserie. The Mrs. would ace cake week but struggle with pies.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: October 9, 2014, 10:59:05 am »
Glad Nancy won, Richard looked too smug on several occasions when he won star baker.

Offline Mr Mingebag Squid

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #82 on: October 9, 2014, 11:03:36 am »
They're supposed to be some of the best of Britain's amateur bakers though. Not great bakers who already work doing the bakes for posh restaurants. It all looked pretty difficult to me, and I'm from a family of keen bakers. The way they have to go through all the different aspects of it means you need really well-rounded technique to get through to the final. I'd be boss in bread week, for example, but utterly shite at patisserie. The Mrs. would ace cake week but struggle with pies.

I'm guess I'm just being harsh. There's no way I'd be even to make half the stuff. :)
My Sporting Dream Team:-
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button
My Twatter : @MrHappySquid

Online SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: October 9, 2014, 01:19:19 pm »
I'm guess I'm just being harsh. There's no way I'd be even to make half the stuff. :)

I've tried and failed a few of their recipes...this ones good however (Rye, vanilla and poppy seed braided loaves) don't think she did it on the show though.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/aug/16/vanilla-creme-brulee-vanilla-poppy-seed-braided-loaf-recipe-ruby-tandoh

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: October 13, 2014, 10:00:13 am »
Been avoiding this thread as i had the final on 'tape' and watched it last night. Good series.

Glad Nancy won, Richard looked too smug on several occasions when he won star baker.

Got to disagree there.  Richard came across as a really humble down to earth lad.  Gutted he didn't win it.

Can't disagree that Nancy wasn't the best in the final though and probably deserved the title.  Luis and Richard just bottled it on the day.  Luis must have ran her close with his Show-stopper though.  I think Luis stuff looked great but just didn't taste too brilliant. Style over substance so to speak.

I think the after show garden party program is on Beeb 1 this week. We might get footage of big Iain from Ireland kicking fuck out of the Baked Alaska ruiner Diana round the back of one of the tents.

Anyhow, I'm off to pre-order Norman's biography. :)

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #85 on: October 13, 2014, 10:24:51 am »

Shakin' Stevens has already labelled it 'lovely stuff'. Praise indeed.

Offline Mouth

• Loretta the Wool. Closely related to SHF's Trousers....and thought Thomas Müller was down to miss a penno. He's behind yooo. Wants you to say "what?" one more time! Dreams about anal sex but couldn't come even if he wanted to.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Filmed in front of a live studio audience
    • www.bigassfans.com
« Reply #86 on: October 13, 2014, 05:52:00 pm »
Been avoiding this thread as i had the final on 'tape' and watched it last night. Good series.

Got to disagree there.  Richard came across as a really humble down to earth lad.  Gutted he didn't win it.

Can't disagree that Nancy wasn't the best in the final though and probably deserved the title.  Luis and Richard just bottled it on the day.  Luis must have ran her close with his Show-stopper though.  I think Luis stuff looked great but just didn't taste too brilliant. Style over substance so to speak.

I think the after show garden party program is on Beeb 1 this week. We might get footage of big Iain from Ireland kicking fuck out of the Baked Alaska ruiner Diana round the back of one of the tents.

Ah but on the whole, she was better, not just on the day itself. He was close to going one week (think it might have been the week no one went because the Alaska wrecker went out ill week before) so in spite of his star baker weeks, he was lucky to still be in it at all. I don't think she was ever in the bottom two, so overall it was deserved.
"Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter"

Jurgen! What is best in life?

Crush your enemies. See dem driven before you. Hear d'lamentations of der vimmen.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: October 13, 2014, 06:11:33 pm »
Ah but on the whole, she was better, not just on the day itself. He was close to going one week (think it might have been the week no one went because the Alaska wrecker went out ill week before) so in spite of his star baker weeks, he was lucky to still be in it at all. I don't think she was ever in the bottom two, so overall it was deserved.

All 6 or 7 of them.

Offline Mouth

• Loretta the Wool. Closely related to SHF's Trousers....and thought Thomas Müller was down to miss a penno. He's behind yooo. Wants you to say "what?" one more time! Dreams about anal sex but couldn't come even if he wanted to.
  • Legacy Fan
    • www.bigassfans.com
« Reply #88 on: October 13, 2014, 06:33:53 pm »
All 6 or 7 of them.
He got 5 :P and at the time of him near going, he'd had at least 3 or 4, but was still lucky to stay in it :P
"Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter"

Crush your enemies. See dem driven before you. Hear d'lamentations of der vimmen.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: October 13, 2014, 06:36:16 pm »
Mouth. Lets fight it out mate its the only way to resolve bakery based disputes.

Coat ourselves in eggs and flour and wrestle to the death outside a branch of Greggs.

Name the time and place I'll be there

:)

Offline Mouth

• Legacy Fan
    • www.bigassfans.com
« Reply #90 on: October 13, 2014, 06:41:28 pm »
Mouth. Lets fight it out mate its the only way to resolve bakery based disputes.

Coat ourselves in eggs and flour and wrestle to the death outside a branch of Greggs.

Name the time and place I'll be there

:)
Hahahaha rolling pins at dawn ;D

Offline planet-terror

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: August 5, 2015, 08:34:51 pm »
ive lost some love for this show,it used to be me and bbc2 back in the day,,,,,,,,,,kids in bed,mrs out in work or college.
now its me,kids the mrs and about half of britain watching it on bbc1.
i feel betrayed
bollocks

Online SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: August 6, 2015, 10:07:18 am »
ive lost some love for this show,it used to be me and bbc2 back in the day,,,,,,,,,,kids in bed,mrs out in work or college.
now its me,kids the mrs and about half of britain watching it on bbc1.
i feel betrayed

Too mainstream now?

You'll have to move over to Hela Sverige Bakar
(All of Sweden Bake)

Scandanavian cache, just like all those Nordic thrillers I love so much, more hipster friendly :P

Offline planet-terror

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: August 6, 2015, 12:34:25 pm »
Too mainstream now?

You'll have to move over to Hela Sverige Bakar
(All of Sweden Bake)

Scandanavian cache, just like all those Nordic thrillers I love so much, more hipster friendly :P
yes too mainstream
it could be all over before it starts with the winner apparently leaked and bookies stopped taking bets on the winner
bollocks

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: August 6, 2015, 12:41:46 pm »
Yep, baking was definitely cool when no one was interested in it. Now that baking is more widespread, its lost it luster. I hate cakes now.

Offline planet-terror

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: August 6, 2015, 01:13:00 pm »
Yep, baking was definitely cool when no one was interested in it. Now that baking is more widespread, its lost it luster. I hate cakes now.
its the hipster twats with the beards and whatever those up in the air hairstyles are called,,comb overs? that are killing it for me with their trendy shorts and flip flops ,in the rain.
bollocks

Online SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: August 6, 2015, 01:23:31 pm »
I stopped breathing as it was too mainstream. Now I just eat iAir while I wait for my gills to be installed.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: August 6, 2015, 02:06:07 pm »
I don't think the BBC have promoted it enough. I haven't heard or read anything about it for at least 5 minutes.

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: August 6, 2015, 02:30:09 pm »
Great British Menu is the best culinary show on the BBC or any UK tv channel.

Watching Michelin starred chefs going against each over is fantastic.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: August 6, 2015, 03:44:26 pm »
I have never seen a show try and be more PC in regards to contestant selection in all my life.

I reckon they could have filled that show with a dozen identical 80yr old white haired grannies from the Yorkshire dales and they would be better at baking than all of that lot they have got on this year.

What about the fucking tattooed. nose pierced, skinny jeans, trilby hat wearing hipster who went out this week?  How on earth did he get on there in the first place. Just to give the show some diversity they got some clueless gimp who didn't have the foggiest about baking.

Bring Back Norman!!!  He did have a clue about baking but was still shite.

Offline planet-terror

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: August 6, 2015, 06:08:03 pm »
I have never seen a show try and be more PC in regards to contestant selection in all my life.

I reckon they could have filled that show with a dozen identical 80yr old white haired grannies from the Yorkshire dales and they would be better at baking than all of that lot they have got on this year.

What about the fucking tattooed. nose pierced, skinny jeans, trilby hat wearing hipster who went out this week?  How on earth did he get on there in the first place. Just to give the show some diversity they got some clueless gimp who didn't have the foggiest about baking.

Bring Back Norman!!!  He did have a clue about baking but was still shite.

i was thinking that last night ,uber pc trendy lot
bollocks

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #101 on: August 6, 2015, 07:56:19 pm »

What you meant to say was you no longer luster after cakes
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #102 on: August 8, 2015, 10:18:14 pm »
i was thinking that last night ,uber pc trendy lot
who do you think shouldn't have been picked?
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline DanFromMars

• Stays up all night playing cards. Henri Winterman cigars
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Indie Retro News
« Reply #103 on: August 9, 2015, 02:57:04 am »
That Gateau :lmao
Indie Retro Gaming News Site
http://www.indieretronews.com/

Offline planet-terror

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: August 9, 2015, 10:27:52 am »
who do you think shouldn't have been picked?
good one
bollocks

Offline planet-terror

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: August 9, 2015, 10:28:29 am »
That Gateau :lmao

what a disaster,should have eliminated her that one
bollocks

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: September 2, 2015, 10:50:58 am »
Anyone keeping up with this? I love a bit of GBBO.

So, Sandy the gobby Yorkshire woman left the tent last week on dessert week and we have now got rid of most of the deadwood.

Its alternative (bland) grub this week and they are baking stuff without sugar, gluten or dairy. Sure it will look nice though.

Personally id like to see Nadiya win this comp as some of her bakes look bloody delicious and shes quite a good laugh too.  Although I can't see past treble winning star baker and stay at home wife Ian lifting the title.  He's just too damn good.

Anyone else have a bit of a thing for the Scottish Luverly Gurrrl Flora?  In her printed flower dresses, coupled with her humble stay at home attitude it would be a treat returning home from the pub to her and her scrumptious baked offerings.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #107 on: September 2, 2015, 10:56:39 am »
Flora resembles Tracy Barlow a little too much for my liking. You'd fear getting your head stoved in by a ceramic mixing bowl any time you offered her some constructive criticism.

I'm terrible with names and in fact abilities and anything to do with this show although I do sit through it. From memory one of the early contenders is the young Bill Nighy? That cockney with the annoying voice is this years's 'surprise package' builder with the pencil behind his ear who did quite well

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: September 2, 2015, 11:08:54 am »
Flora resembles Tracy Barlow a little too much for my liking. You'd fear getting your head stoved in by a ceramic mixing bowl any time you offered her some constructive criticism.

I'm terrible with names and in fact abilities and anything to do with this show although I do sit through it. From memory one of the early contenders is the young Bill Nighy? That cockney with the annoying voice is this years's 'surprise package' builder with the pencil behind his ear who did quite well

The Bill Nighy lookalike is Ian and probably hot favorite.

The chirpy cockney geezer is Matt the Fireman (oooh err missus I bet he's got some Hot Cross Buns)

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #109 on: September 2, 2015, 11:35:22 am »
She's 19 you filthy sod.

Yes but Scottish. So she's effectively just the wrong side of middle aged, like Pete.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: September 2, 2015, 11:47:46 am »
She's 19 you filthy sod.

Hey wanting to have a 19yr old (going on 70) Scottish country lass baking me post pub treats isn't exactly Hugh Heffner is it Shane?

Rock n Roll

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Great British Bake Off
« Reply #111 on: September 2, 2015, 12:44:42 pm »
Was glad Sandy went last week - something about her I didn't like - she had too much face, and it kinda looked like a miserable fish.

Possibly Matt and Ugne are the weaker ones left, but I actually enjoy everyone left now - should see some real good bakes.
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: September 2, 2015, 12:50:47 pm »
Was glad Sandy went last week - something about her I didn't like - she had too much face, and it kinda looked like a miserable fish.

Possibly Matt and Ugne are the weaker ones left, but I actually enjoy everyone left now - should see some real good bakes.

I reckon Alvin will go this week.  He's looked a bit nervy in front of the oven last few episodes.  Reckon he needs paul's arm round his shoulder and reassurance he can bake as good as anyone else in the room.  Get your Oven gloves on Alvin and show us what you can do.

Yeah squid man, Agree that Sandy was a bit gobby and did my head in too.

She said about her Soda breads with smoked bacon and onion, "These will put Bradford on the Map!".... Sorry Sandy but Peter Sutcliffe has already done that.

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: September 2, 2015, 01:03:48 pm »
Wasn't that she was gobby, I mean that didn't help, but literally she had a massive face!

Offline Walk On

• Legacy Fan
  • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart ...
« Reply #114 on: September 2, 2015, 01:13:59 pm »

Sandy didn't seem to bothered with her performance... kept on going on about here "wobble" rather than making sure she had a decent bake.

I've always thought that Matt looks like he's going to be off but somehow manages to get through to the next round.  Surely this can't go on as the challenges get harder?

- Rebuilding the Bastion

Online IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
« Reply #115 on: September 2, 2015, 01:38:50 pm »
I'd definitely be a fun guy around Flora.

I'll get my coat.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #116 on: September 2, 2015, 09:30:50 pm »
Ugne has come a long way since being Alan Partridge's girlfriend during his Static home years.

Offline androulla

• aka little monkey
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #117 on: September 6, 2015, 12:26:46 am »
I'm also loving The Great British Bake Off: An Extra Slice - it's so funny!!!!!!!

Couldn't believe it when Paul said Ian was in trouble!!! He's been one of the most consistent!!!  :o

Offline Mouth

• Legacy Fan
    • www.bigassfans.com
« Reply #118 on: September 6, 2015, 01:15:27 pm »
Its based on how they are doing each week, not overall. He did have problems last week.

Overall comes into play when they are doing the final judge for the winner. If he is still in it at the end and keeps up with what he is doing, he will probably be nailed on for the title.

Offline androulla

• aka little monkey
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #119 on: September 6, 2015, 09:49:46 pm »
Its based on how they are doing each week, not overall. He did have problems last week.

Overall comes into play when they are doing the final judge for the winner. If he is still in it at the end and keeps up with what he is doing, he will probably be nailed on for the title.

I know. However, it would have been a real shame to see him go, especially after winning star baker three weeks in a row.