Author Topic: The 'Eeeek...buying/saving for a house' thread  (Read 247753 times)

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Re: The 'Eeeek...buying/saving for a house' thread
« Reply #800 on: February 22, 2018, 02:41:15 pm »
Put an offer in on a house id been looking at recently. Its been on sale for over a year and price hasn't changed (It's vastly overpriced). After I submitted it, the agent got back to me and said

"Sorry we've already had an offer of x amount (much more than mine), is there any movement in your offer?

Smells dodgy.

At the end of the day offer what you think the house is worth, what you're happy paying and what you can afford. Don't get involved with any of their games.

If you think the offer you've made is fair then stick to it. If you low balled slightly then maybe up it a touch, but I'd not go flying in with a vastly improved offer.

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #801 on: February 22, 2018, 02:46:08 pm »
Put an offer in on a house id been looking at recently. Its been on sale for over a year and price hasn't changed (It's vastly overpriced). After I submitted it, the agent got back to me and said

"Sorry we've already had an offer of x amount (much more than mine), is there any movement in your offer?

Smells dodgy.

Could be that a prospective buyer has offered x and the seller is holding out until someone offers more. The person making the offer may have left it on the table.

I'd be inclined to stick to my guns and not offer any more.

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #802 on: February 22, 2018, 06:26:22 pm »
Don't let the agent take the piss out of you. That'll be a made up bid. Agents are scum, absolute evil.

If it does get taken off the market a month later, just gazump the others if you really want it.
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #803 on: February 22, 2018, 06:45:37 pm »
After a year , id just say no it's not unless the offer you made was a low one and you expected an increase . Make your case why it's vastly overpriced and also state your extra fees if there are any ie stamp duty fees etc . Use comparable sold prices if this helps your case

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #804 on: March 7, 2018, 11:11:02 am »
So I've had an offer accepted on a house!

Few sticking points though...

The owners had a full structural survey done by 'Company A' back in October as the house needed some work doing. At the end of the structural report they stated

"All work should be carried out under supervision by ourselves or a structural engineer/Building surveyor and the relevant completion certificates can be issued"

The house owners then got another contractor 'Company B' to undertake the actual work.

Now I'm coming to get my own structural survey done and my surveyor won't touch it with a barge pole until 'Company A' provide a completion certificate.

Is this normal practice? Should 'Company A' be brought back in to sign off on the work done by 'Company B'?

Offline owens_2k

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #805 on: March 7, 2018, 03:25:22 pm »
I don't understand what your surveyor has to do with work that has been done by another party. Surely your surveyor is there to assess the current state of the property?
I think the history of the property is that someone agreed to buy it a year ago but then pulled out after they had a survey done. The seller has now had a lot of work done to correct this but never a completion certificate to say that it is now mortgageable.

Offline owens_2k

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #806 on: March 14, 2018, 03:01:33 pm »
Does 2.39% seem like a high interest rate to anyone? I'm a first time buyer but had to go through a broker to get a mortgage because im self employed. The only 2 year fixed mortgage on offer for me is 2.39% which seems high when I look at other rates on moneysavingexpert. Im putting down 15% of the property value as a deposit.

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #807 on: March 14, 2018, 10:16:24 pm »
I think that's decent considering we've had a rise and all expectations of another quarter per cent also loan to value ratio is 85 :100 an extra 10 per cent would get you a better rate . Where you offered a five year fixed ?

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #808 on: March 15, 2018, 02:04:57 pm »
How long in principle should you be looking at to sell a house after the mortgage survey from the buyers has taken place?
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #809 on: March 15, 2018, 03:34:13 pm »
How long in principle should you be looking at to sell a house after the mortgage survey from the buyers has taken place?

Depends if there in a chain , how good the solicitors are and  yours as well , making sure they have all the info required and keep chasing the solicitors up as well as they can be quite slow and you go in the things to do tray quite easily . I've done a cash sale on a property last year no chain and it still took three months because it was a flat . Houses should be able t be done a lot quicker possibly 4 weeks if no chain

Offline L8Craig

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #810 on: March 15, 2018, 10:29:05 pm »
Received my surveyors report 4th September last year. Had the keys on the 29th. Probably could have had it 7 days before but the seller was on holiday.
My conveyancer was sound.

Offline Roady

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #811 on: March 16, 2018, 10:35:05 am »
Cheers for this guys so it’s looking promising then! Cut a long story short the house is mine and my sisters left in my mother’s will. I live in Spain but have moved back to Liverpool living in a bloody empty house to try and progress it. Best bet is just to keep on top on all parties then yes? don’t want to be in a big empty house for much longer if I can help it

Offline Giz a Gobble

• Scouse Turkey that's hard to swallow.....
  • Main Stander
  • JUSTICE FOR THE 97.
« Reply #812 on: March 27, 2018, 10:49:09 am »
Well, good to see that this thread is still kicking on 3/4 years after I started it  :P

I'm now facing an issue of house size in that ours is a bit on the small side and where we live is quite high in demand as an area, not much is on the market at present and it seems to be extension season at the minute.

Therefore, we're looking into extensions. Anybody got any experience of this? Worth it? Costly? Ideally, we'd be looking at a two-storey extension which would go out to the side of the house and fill in at the back to make it a perfect square if that makes sense?

Thing is we don't know how realistic that is and whether we'd be better just moving. However, the sheer numbers of extensions round here at the minute makes me think there's something in it.

Any recommended companies in Liverpool too if anyone could help would be gratefully received!

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #813 on: March 27, 2018, 11:40:25 am »
Well, good to see that this thread is still kicking on 3/4 years after I started it  :P

I'm now facing an issue of house size in that ours is a bit on the small side and where we live is quite high in demand as an area, not much is on the market at present and it seems to be extension season at the minute.

Therefore, we're looking into extensions. Anybody got any experience of this? Worth it? Costly? Ideally, we'd be looking at a two-storey extension which would go out to the side of the house and fill in at the back to make it a perfect square if that makes sense?

Thing is we don't know how realistic that is and whether we'd be better just moving. However, the sheer numbers of extensions round here at the minute makes me think there's something in it.

Any recommended companies in Liverpool too if anyone could help would be gratefully received!

Depending on the size of the extension, you could be looking at £50k, so a lot depends on the jump in prices to move. For us, it'd cost us £130k to move to a bigger house so an extension was the only viable course. We'd had a new bathroom done a year before we applied, so the extension was down the side, up against next door (brother in law). Sadly, our Tory c*nt council knocked back what we wanted to do (which was not in any way extreme, they are just awkward c*nts as there are loads of houses by ours with the exact extension we wanted but they won't allow it now).

Next door and over the road have had two cracking extensions done, they've got more room than they would have if they moved.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline owens_2k

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #814 on: March 27, 2018, 01:50:57 pm »
Whats the going rate for extensions in liverpool £1000/sqm ? Do you just double it for 2 storey or more like x2.5 ?

Offline pw1008

• Kopite
« Reply #815 on: March 27, 2018, 05:18:06 pm »
Not sure you double it as the bulk of costs will be around the roof and the foundations and I suppose what’s currently there.

Not a builder but been reading up about it myself.

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #816 on: March 28, 2018, 09:11:18 am »
I believe £1,000 p/sqm is an old rule of thumb.

We recently got a price on a 6m x 3m extension and the cheeky bastards quoted £34k excluding plumbing and electricity.

This is in South Manchester though.

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #817 on: March 29, 2018, 11:18:15 pm »
An alternative suggestion would be to get outline planning permission for the extension, increase the property value by upwards of 10% and then sell and upgrade to a £xx,xxx more expensive house in the same area. Far cheaper than an extension and much less hassle - obviously there's more upheaval with having to move, but may be something you've not thought of.
Not just upheaval though theres agents fees solicitor costs and stamp duty to contend with , not too sure getting plans drawn up an planning permission increases a propertys value by 10% certainly a plot of land will substantially increase in value but doubt a house would .

Offline Roady

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #818 on: April 26, 2018, 05:03:11 pm »
Still not sorted. Been told coneyancin god now taking place after a few questions were asked. I never want to go through his process again. It’s been hell and I’m dying to get out of here now. I came back from Spain to sort this and it’s been nearly six weeks now 😡 I’m so fucking annoyed and at the end of my tether. Surely it can’t be much longer. I had the buyers at my house who are desperate to move in and I’m desperate to move out.

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #819 on: April 26, 2018, 10:31:33 pm »
Still not sorted. Been told coneyancin god now taking place after a few questions were asked. I never want to go through his process again. It’s been hell and I’m dying to get out of here now. I came back from Spain to sort this and it’s been nearly six weeks now 😡 I’m so fucking annoyed and at the end of my tether. Surely it can’t be much longer. I had the buyers at my house who are desperate to move in and I’m desperate to move out.

Do you still need to be there , if you've sold through an agent surely they can do the hand over on completion and solicitor sorts your cash out .

Offline Roady

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #820 on: April 26, 2018, 10:39:57 pm »
I’ve no option now mate. Need the cash from the sale to survive! I don’t trust any of the fuckers for a second to be honest. The buyers have said the same about the estate agents. They’ve been useless. Shouldn’t be too long now hopefully

Offline spen71

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #821 on: April 27, 2018, 09:02:53 am »
I’m trying to save the deposit to buy a house all the while it is difficult to save enough fast enough before the prices go up yet again!

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #822 on: April 27, 2018, 10:04:14 am »
I’m trying to save the deposit to buy a house all the while it is difficult to save enough fast enough before the prices go up yet again!

I really feel for anyone trying to buy their first house, it's ridiculous, in fact it's obscene.

My wife had bought our house, a large 2 bed semi (its physically as large as a 3 bed semi) in 2006, a few months before we met. Her brother lives next door, he paid £40k for his when he was 21 in 1988. Then her sister bought one 6 doors up about 10 years later, paid £85k, wife paid £143k. Sister sold hers about 4 years ago for £135k during the slump. One round the corner from ours is now up for £225k. The 3 bed semi her Ma lives in has jumped from £180 to £350k in the last 10 years. How the fuck are the kids who grow up around here going to be able to buy a house? I'll be 60 in 8 and a half years, my lads will be 18 and 16, will they wanna live at home with 2 pensioners at that age?
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Roady

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #823 on: April 27, 2018, 11:03:10 am »
It’s insane mate it really is! In hindsight I wish I’d just saved as soon as I left uni. The only way of me getting on the property ladder is coz this house was left to me and my sister in my mums will. Without it I’d be renting for life. I’m 42! house prices are ridiculous. I’ll be able to get myself a large one or slightly on the small side two bed apartment. Which is more than adequate. But I feel for anyone having to save to achieve it, hats off to them, I couldn’t do it.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #824 on: April 27, 2018, 11:54:21 am »
I was renting when I met my wife, so I had nothing to bring into the marriage financially. We are really lucky that her Dad has a fantastic pension and he has looked after his 4 grandkids over the past few years. Hopefully they will all have  enough to not have to save a deposit, however, my 9 yr old wants to spend his on a Porsche Boxster when he passes his test.

Worth remembering that back in the day a lot of people were able to take out 100% mortgages (which was part of the huge banking issues back in the mid 2000s) so this is actually quite a modern issue.

Does my head in when people go "we bought our first house at 18 and paid it off when we were 30". Yeah because your generation hadn't fucked it up for the rest of us back then.

If 90% mortgages were the norm 30/40 years ago I suspect this would have been an issue back then too.

Ex of mine had a 105% mortgage in 2004, nuts it was. By the time I started thinking I had better buy a house, it was too late. Houses like the one I lived in with my Ma were £15k when we moved in (3 times my salary) 10 years later they were £90 - 100k. Then you had pricks who were offering more than the asking price which drove house prices skywards. Relative of mine paid £250,000 in about 1996 for a very large detached house in the South with it's own pool, a few acres of land and part ownership of a lake. only a few years later, that would just about get a 3 bed detached in Southport. Then you had all these pricks swanning about going I paid £70k for my house, now its worth £250k - yeah that's great dickhead, meanwhile the housing market has been fucked up.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 12:02:43 pm by rob1966 »

Offline L8Craig

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #825 on: April 27, 2018, 01:22:31 pm »
5% deposit might help you get on the ladder. You might pay more in mortgage payments due to the higher interest rate but over 2 or 3 years the growth in the house price might go up to make that extra you did pay each month insignificant.

Get your deposit money in a help 2 buy ISA. 25% bonus of whatever you do put in it after you have bought your house.

Offline spen71

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #826 on: April 29, 2018, 08:58:14 am »
5% deposit might help you get on the ladder. You might pay more in mortgage payments due to the higher interest rate but over 2 or 3 years the growth in the house price might go up to make that extra you did pay each month insignificant.

Get your deposit money in a help 2 buy ISA. 25% bonus of whatever you do put in it after you have bought your house.

Thanks for the advice.    I cannot get a help to buy ISA as I bought a house with my ex.  When we split she couldn’t afford to buy the mortgage out so basically I had to give it her as my kids would be homeless.    I’m self-employed and 46 so it’s difficult for me to get a mortgage as it is.    November this year an old default drop off my credit report (from my Alkie days) so I’ll look into what I can do then.   I don’t want to get my hopes up as it wouldn’t take much to push me into depression.     I maybe should talk to a mortgage advisor

Offline carl123uk

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • @CarlLFC5
« Reply #827 on: April 30, 2018, 11:11:30 am »
Today is the day I've been waiting a while for. Got my half of the deposit. Taken a couple of years longer than I would have liked but it's here now.

In know rush but would like to be in somewhere by Christmas

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #828 on: May 4, 2018, 09:32:55 pm »
Today is the day I've been waiting a while for. Got my half of the deposit. Taken a couple of years longer than I would have liked but it's here now.

In know rush but would like to be in somewhere by Christmas

Get that HTB ISA open NOW if you've not already mate.
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline spen71

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #829 on: May 5, 2018, 08:59:33 am »
Have you thought about shared ownership schemes? They're not for everyone but are a way of building up your equity again if you have a decent enough income but have a bit of trouble raising the initial capital you would need for a traditional deposit.

Thanks.   This is actually a brilliant idea.   I’ll be 48 when I want to buy and more likely to be accepted for a 50% share.  Thank you

Offline owens_2k

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #830 on: May 9, 2018, 02:56:36 pm »
Can anyone tell me what "on risk at exchange of contracts" means with regards to buildings insurance?

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #831 on: May 10, 2018, 08:51:51 am »
Can anyone tell me what "on risk at exchange of contracts" means with regards to buildings insurance?

That it starts from when contracts are exchanged. At least thats how I interpreted that.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Roady

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #832 on: May 17, 2018, 03:38:23 pm »
Ok so. I have finally signed contracts and exchange is for the 31st so two weeks today! I’ve been so fucking stressed by all of this it is untrue. Anyway who has been following my story knows the jist of it. But completion date is two weeks today! I can’t stress how much it has been getting to me. I live in Spain with my gf who has been bugging me to death as it normally takes one week over there. From start to finish so she thinks I’ve been lying to her 😂 I only came back to sort it two months ago now! But it’s down it’s sorted! I’m sitting on my local in the sunshine having a quiet celebratory pint. Just the one! The feeling of relief falling off my shoulders is unreal! All I need to do now is build my relationship back up with the gf. She’s pissed off but will be fine. Seriously I feel like fucking crying and I’m smiling from ear to ear at the same time! I’ve been walking round like a shadow of my former self over this. I’m thinking of buying a cheap apartment in town and renting it out so I’ve a little income in Spain and it means o won’t go crazy with the cash. I’ve been skint seriously skint. Thankfully I’ve good friends and one of them asked if I wanted a loan until the sale of the house which I accepted about third time of asking else I’d have been in shit street. I can’t tell you how happy I am right now. I know this is a bit of a rant. I’ve suffered from depression in the past and this was not helping me one little bit. I’m hoping this helps me turn the corner!

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #833 on: May 18, 2018, 06:29:40 pm »
Managed to save myself a decent deposit for a house, 32 still living with my parents think it's time i moved out! Thinking of moving to Chester but the houses are way out my budget!

Offline Working Class Hen-Pecked Hero

• Is something to be...Lives at 999 Letsby Avenue.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #834 on: May 19, 2018, 07:04:45 am »
I'm looking at moving back to Liverpool and have seen some new builds in Anfield. Can anyone still live the area tell me how rough it is there? I grew up in Kensington so most things are a step up. I'm living in Kent now which is the garden (garden can be replaced with arsehole) of England and its expensive as toss and full of wannabe London gangsters
I'm telling you, Bowie died and it's all gone to fuck.

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #835 on: May 19, 2018, 04:27:20 pm »
In the process of trying to buy for the first time. We'd visted a bunch of houses, some small and a bit rubbish, some that were great but out of our price range, and then found one that seemed perfect last monday. Made an immediate offer that they accepted, bank have approved the credit subject to the valuation survey. The survey will make or break whether this goes through or not and the wait is killing me.. have barely slept since Monday.. dunno why but I can't bare the thought of losing this one, and now it's out of my hands. Lost my appetite and everything. Fucking hell .. I'm a wreck. Anyway just came here to vent a bit...   :butt

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #836 on: May 29, 2018, 12:05:50 pm »
I'm looking at moving back to Liverpool and have seen some new builds in Anfield. Can anyone still live the area tell me how rough it is there? I grew up in Kensington so most things are a step up. I'm living in Kent now which is the garden (garden can be replaced with arsehole) of England and its expensive as toss and full of wannabe London gangsters

I'm in Walton and it's not quite as it was when I was a kid, there's gangs and shit going on but can't say it ever impacts on your life. I did live in SE London for about 8 years before I moved back home, though ;D

There's some new builds that have popped up off Rice Lane, on the old Walton Hospital site area. They've just started doing viewings in the show homes.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 12:07:22 pm by Claire. »

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #837 on: May 29, 2018, 12:11:09 pm »
In the process of trying to buy for the first time. We'd visted a bunch of houses, some small and a bit rubbish, some that were great but out of our price range, and then found one that seemed perfect last monday. Made an immediate offer that they accepted, bank have approved the credit subject to the valuation survey. The survey will make or break whether this goes through or not and the wait is killing me.. have barely slept since Monday.. dunno why but I can't bare the thought of losing this one, and now it's out of my hands. Lost my appetite and everything. Fucking hell .. I'm a wreck. Anyway just came here to vent a bit...   :butt

We've all been through it but remember the survey is being done for yours and the bank's benefit, you want to know you're paying a fair price and it's not gonna fall to bits the second you move in. If it's a good house, it'll pass and you're good to go, then of course, you've got the annoying wait for all the legal shit which is even worse so yay ;D

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #838 on: June 4, 2018, 11:12:04 am »
Had an offer accepted on a house a couple of weeks ago so about to enter the world of Solicitors, contracts, surveys and pulling all the savings together. Excited but nothing is over until I get those keys so making sure I've done everything right. Feel very new and out of my depth (thought trying to make sure it doesn't show)

Been saving for a deposit for about 3 years whilst renting privately. We probably could have done it faster had we moved back into my parents and made massive cuts to what we spend but we still wanted to still have independence and a life. So really only cut down on holidays/trips away and switching utilities more often.

The Help to Buy ISA really is a must have for any 1st time buyers. The flexibility that affords to save a set amount without penalties is great. My girlfriend also had one as well so twice the bonus.

So fingers crossed it goes through without too many issues.

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #839 on: June 4, 2018, 02:03:20 pm »
We've all been through it but remember the survey is being done for yours and the bank's benefit, you want to know you're paying a fair price and it's not gonna fall to bits the second you move in. If it's a good house, it'll pass and you're good to go, then of course, you've got the annoying wait for all the legal shit which is even worse so yay ;D

Thanks Claire. The survey valued the property slightly more than our offer so it worked out well :)  Almost all sorted now, contacts signed, deposit paid, so finally able to relax a little...just waiting for the owner to move out now. Very excited!