Author Topic: How Intelligent Are Other Animals?  (Read 101318 times)

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
Re: How Intelligent Are Other Animals?
« Reply #80 on: July 4, 2013, 10:17:19 pm »
I want to be a woman and I want to have babies.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #81 on: July 4, 2013, 10:21:41 pm »
I see.

How's that going?

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: July 4, 2013, 10:25:32 pm »
I don't have a womb for the foetus to gestate, so its a bit of a non-runner.

Though it still doesn't effect my rights too have a baby.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #83 on: July 4, 2013, 10:31:37 pm »
I don't have a womb for the foetus to gestate, so its a bit of a non-runner.

Though it still doesn't effect my rights too have a baby.

It's affect, darling, and don't let that bastard biology get you down. Celebrate your femininity by pretending to be gay, then marrying some gay bloke and adopt. Simple, convenient, effective.

Offline CHOPPER

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: July 4, 2013, 10:39:38 pm »
It's affect, darling, and don't let that bastard biology get you down. Celebrate your femininity by pretending to be gay, then marrying some gay bloke and adopt. Simple, convenient, effective.
You can adopt a womb! Is this one of these Chinese black market womb rings?

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #85 on: July 4, 2013, 10:43:20 pm »

The gays do love the Asian babies. Or so I understand from Modern Family.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: July 4, 2013, 11:20:07 pm »
Paul the Octopus that kept picking the winning teams in the World Cup. That was clever.....Not picking the teams of course, but that he had given himself a human name, Paul.
:D the name Roy had already been taken

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: July 4, 2013, 11:22:41 pm »

We could change the thread title to "how intelligent are other animals compared to Chopper".

:-\

Offline Pinky_Bieber

• shit fan whose IQ is unlikely to be exceeding 59
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #88 on: July 4, 2013, 11:26:01 pm »
Without listing all of our instincts; when you have a child you'll find your parental instincts kick in when they let out their distress call.

Now that you're posting on the grown-ups board, it is rather expected you read the posts and the various articles or vids contained therein. Give it a try, you might learn something.

arrogance doesnt make you look smarter though...

your example with a child is actually a selfishness case to our species...i love my child because he's mine,and he's made of something that nature gave me to use, he's my descendant...you are basically saying breathing is animal instinct

but again the difference with humans and animals is that animals cant choose not to have a baby,they just do it instinctively when their time comes...in other hand humans more often are choosing not to have a baby
« Last Edit: July 4, 2013, 11:27:46 pm by Pinky_Bieber »
YNWA

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• Michael Pain the tittie-fixated inflatable doll salesman
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Re: How Intelligent Are Other Animals?
« Reply #89 on: July 4, 2013, 11:43:04 pm »

arrogance doesnt make you look smarter though...

your example with a child is actually a selfishness case to our species...i love my child because he's mine,and he's made of something that nature gave me to use, he's my descendant...you are basically saying breathing is animal instinct

but again the difference with humans and animals is that animals cant choose not to have a baby,they just do it instinctively when their time comes...in other hand humans more often are choosing not to have a baby

Are you on the wind? Of course humans have instincts, just like every other animal on the planet.

Adopting the foetal position at times of trauma or danger is as primal as it gets.

Offline Pinky_Bieber

• Legacy Fan
Re: Re: How Intelligent Are Other Animals?
« Reply #90 on: July 4, 2013, 11:54:02 pm »
Are you on the wind? Of course humans have instincts, just like every other animal on the planet.

Adopting the foetal position at times of trauma or danger is as primal as it gets.

what instincts? to kill someone who is weak like animals do?

YNWA

Offline zero zero

• Karma's a bitch. Innit.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: July 5, 2013, 12:07:06 am »
No you div. I'm saying parental instinct is an instinct that humans share with other animals. Breathing is a reflex. See.

Just read the evidence in the thread. You might learn something. I'm not being arrogant I'm just terse with people who remain willfully ignorant.
« Last Edit: July 5, 2013, 12:08:59 am by zero zero »

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #92 on: July 5, 2013, 12:11:06 am »
what instincts? to kill someone who is weak like animals do?

Have you read the thread?

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Would welcome a premature one, apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: July 5, 2013, 09:14:08 am »

So you're going to choose not to get an erection?
Plenty well, no pray; big bellyache, heap God

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #95 on: July 8, 2013, 12:50:36 pm »
Pigeons are considered to be one of the most intelligent birds on the planet with pigeons being able to undertake tasks previously thought to be the sole preserve of humans and primates.  The pigeon has also been found to pass the ‘mirror test’ (being able to recognise its reflection in a mirror) and is one of only 6 species, and the only non-mammal, that has this ability.  The pigeon can also recognise all 26 letters of the English language as well as being able to conceptualise. In scientific tests pigeons have been found to be able to differentiate between photographs and even differentiate between two different human beings in a photograph when rewarded with food for doing so.

source

Offline RedRabbit

• Rampant but without the batteries.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • این نیز بگذرد
« Reply #96 on: July 8, 2013, 01:50:12 pm »
That's conditioning not intelligence.

I could get the same results with Pinky_Bieber given enough time. 

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #97 on: July 8, 2013, 03:48:02 pm »
Crows are the most intelligent birds, here's an example:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/HeRaYPkNB8I" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/HeRaYPkNB8I</a>

Offline theredguy03

• Put balls in his mouth and nearly choked
  • Legacy Fan
  • Coutinho- Used to be Man City's tormentor
« Reply #98 on: July 8, 2013, 03:49:17 pm »

Thanks. ;)  I can never seem to embed a video for some reason.
My favourite all time LFC player? Tough choice.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #99 on: July 8, 2013, 04:07:35 pm »
Thanks. ;)  I can never seem to embed a video for some reason.

You're doing half of it, with the flash tags. But with a yotutube link you need to delete the following.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeRaYPkNB8I

Take out these bits

https://www.youtube.com/     watch?    v  =   HeRaYPkNB8I (the "watch?" bit and the "=" bit)

And add another / so it now looks like this.

https://www.youtube.com/v/HeRaYPkNB8I

Stick between flash tags and you're done.

Offline Quaid

• Thinks clinical is cretinous. Takes one to know one.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: July 8, 2013, 05:10:04 pm »

It is conditioning, however the level of conditioning which can be achieved is linked with the overall intelligence of the species in question.

Crows are certainly one of the of the most intelligent species of bird, they're fantastic problem solvers which ultimately I guess defines intelligence. However African Grey Parrots deserve a special mention as well because they're ability to learn, and form complex relationships with those closest to them is unbelievable.
“By definition, you have to live until you die. Better to make that life as complete and enjoyable an experience as possible, in case death is shite, which I suspect it will be.”

Offline RedRabbit

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • این نیز بگذرد
« Reply #101 on: July 8, 2013, 05:27:13 pm »
It is conditioning, however the level of conditioning which can be achieved is linked with the overall intelligence of the species in question.

Not really. The driving force behind all those 'passes' is a food reward. If an animal does something consistently in a laboratory setting to gain food that is purely conditioning. For example, if you put a rat in a maze and put food after the first left turn, then an "intelligent" rat wouldn't go left the second time as it would "know/reason/be able to deduce" that it had already taken all the food on the left. It's "intelligence" would be better shown if it went right. Repetition ≠ intelligence.

Also, we're talking pigeons here, not crows. Neither of which are able to pass the mirror test. The only bird that can do that is the magpie.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #102 on: July 8, 2013, 06:03:07 pm »
Also, we're talking pigeons here, not crows. Neither of which are able to pass the mirror test. The only bird that can do that is the magpie.

The pigeon has also been found to pass the ‘mirror test’ (being able to recognise its reflection in a mirror) and is one of only 6 species, and the only non-mammal, that has this ability.

Offline Quaid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: July 9, 2013, 10:27:00 am »
Not really. The driving force behind all those 'passes' is a food reward. If an animal does something consistently in a laboratory setting to gain food that is purely conditioning. For example, if you put a rat in a maze and put food after the first left turn, then an "intelligent" rat wouldn't go left the second time as it would "know/reason/be able to deduce" that it had already taken all the food on the left. It's "intelligence" would be better shown if it went right. Repetition ≠ intelligence.

This is a form of intelligence. An animals ability to associate, or be able to deduce a particular action (which it normally wouldn't associate with food from an evolutionary standpoint) with a food reward is without doubt a sign of intelligence.

In the late 1940's, a famous biologist called Skinner conducted an experiment with pigeons which highlighted how hungry pigeons could develop a superstitious behaviour if it associated the behaviour in question with a food reward. The superstitious behaviour varied from pigeon to pigeon, and included head tossing and turning in a counter clock-wise manner which resulted in a food reward. Such behaviours require a basic thought process; the reward of food is each time associated with the original behaviour. The fact these superstitious behaviours can develop in pigeons within a laboratory setting highlights how they must possess an above normal level of intelligence (Edit: obviously in relation to similar species with similar brain anatomy). Which species is the most superstitious on the planet...? Coincidence? I think not.
« Last Edit: July 9, 2013, 10:30:18 am by Quaid »
“By definition, you have to live until you die. Better to make that life as complete and enjoyable an experience as possible, in case death is shite, which I suspect it will be.”

Offline Pinky_Bieber

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: July 9, 2013, 11:43:12 am »

what results?
YNWA

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #105 on: July 9, 2013, 11:45:16 am »
what results?

Have you read the thread yet?

Offline Quaid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: July 9, 2013, 12:40:50 pm »
Have you read the thread yet?

You're asking a bit much there to be honest.

Offline zero zero

• Karma's a bitch. Innit.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: July 9, 2013, 12:44:48 pm »
You're asking a bit much there to be honest.
;D

Offline RedRabbit

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • این نیز بگذرد
« Reply #108 on: July 9, 2013, 03:00:05 pm »

Only when trained to do so. Which is conditioning. They aren't passing because of an innate 'intelligence'. Any pigeon that isn't trained to do it can't do it.

This is a form of intelligence. An animals ability to associate, or be able to deduce a particular action (which it normally wouldn't associate with food from an evolutionary standpoint) with a food reward is without doubt a sign of intelligence.

In rats. Not pigeons.  :P

In the late 1940's, a famous biologist called Skinner conducted an experiment with pigeons which highlighted how hungry pigeons could develop a superstitious behaviour if it associated the behaviour in question with a food reward. The superstitious behaviour varied from pigeon to pigeon, and included head tossing and turning in a counter clock-wise manner which resulted in a food reward. Such behaviours require a basic thought process; the reward of food is each time associated with the original behaviour. The fact these superstitious behaviours can develop in pigeons within a laboratory setting highlights how they must possess an above normal level of intelligence (Edit: obviously in relation to similar species with similar brain anatomy). Which species is the most superstitious on the planet...? Coincidence? I think not.

Yeah, that's the Skinner Box. It was used to show how animals responded to operant conditioning. It was always rewarded with food. Again, the animal doesn't have to know why it's doing it (intelligence), just that doing it rewards it with food after it's been done a number of times (conditioning).

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #109 on: July 9, 2013, 03:13:45 pm »
Only when trained to do so. Which is conditioning. They aren't passing because of an innate 'intelligence'. Any pigeon that isn't trained to do it can't do it.

Suppose nobody ever told you as a young child what a mirror was. How long do you think it would have taken you to work it out?

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #110 on: July 10, 2013, 03:46:00 pm »

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #111 on: July 10, 2013, 04:10:46 pm »
Neanderthals shared speech and language with modern humans, study suggests

Perhaps this was not so far off then....

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/hb0ef6NhY74&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/hb0ef6NhY74&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1</a>
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline Pinky_Bieber

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: July 11, 2013, 11:32:38 am »
So you're going to choose not to get an erection?

so you're going to get a hard on when you see some hot chick on the street?

i can control erection, i also can control not to kill someone

prisons are for people with instincts
YNWA

Offline Bioluminescence

• Hidden Gem
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: July 11, 2013, 11:45:15 am »
there is no such thing like animal intelligence...Animals dont have intelligence, they have instict

the only species without instict on earth are human beings,therefore we have intelligence

we have intelligence because we have choices...we can also ask the question "WHY"

Which one is it?

Offline Quaid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: July 11, 2013, 12:39:01 pm »

You're a clown.

When mothers have children and feel compelled to breast feed, and nurture their new-born is this not instinct?

Fight or flight is about as instinctive as it gets, pretty sure that still exists in humans, irrespective of intelligence. 

The list is endless.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #115 on: July 11, 2013, 12:54:52 pm »
Is Pinky Bieber more intelligent than a crow?

Offline Bioluminescence

• Hidden Gem
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: July 11, 2013, 01:00:01 pm »
Is Pinky Bieber more intelligent than a crow?

That will depend on whether the crow is in prison for being a vegetarian.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #117 on: July 11, 2013, 01:02:04 pm »
That will depend on whether the crow is in prison for being a vegetarian.

Also, whether the crow can control his erections.

Offline Pinky_Bieber

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: July 11, 2013, 01:51:36 pm »
Which one is it?

people with animal instincts aka non-intelligent people
YNWA

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: July 11, 2013, 02:19:01 pm »
people with animal instincts aka non-intelligent people

You really are strange.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.