Author Topic: The Americans. Please use spoiler tags.  (Read 44705 times)

Offline Ultimate Bromance

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Americans. Please use spoiler tags.
« Reply #360 on: June 9, 2016, 05:36:31 pm »
Spoiler
She is Irina, the spy Philip felt in love with before getting assigned to the US and Elizabeth. We saw her during the first season, if I remember correctly.
[close]

Tremendous episode. Tremendous series.

Spoiler
Ah yeah, did a bit of reading, seems like she'd already grown tired of the job way back then. Guess she'd finally had enough.
[close]
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

Offline Garrus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #361 on: June 9, 2016, 05:40:10 pm »
Spoiler
Ah yeah, did a bit of reading, seems like she'd already grown tired of the job way back then. Guess she'd finally had enough.
[close]
Spoiler
Think she wanted Philip to join her in her plan to run away to Canada. In the stash that their child got in the last episode, there's a Canadian passport and some cash. I guess she comes back into the story as well
[close]

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #362 on: June 9, 2016, 10:21:42 pm »
It almost felt like the end of the show, rather than the end of a season. Better go spoilers

Spoiler
With Arkady and Oleg heading back home, it feels like a reset button is being pressed on the Rezidentura. William - now I could be crazily wrong here - might not make it to the next season. And while Liz and Philip get threatened with exile/return home (delete as appropriate), we all know they'll be in the DC suburbs next season.  Stan still doesn't have an inkling of suspicion about them, but Agent Aderholt is a better agent, so...

Who would have thought at the end of last season that Pastor Tim would make it through the whole year?  And Martha too, probably trying to get some Russian guy to try Karma Sutra position #113 with her.

It's typical of The Americans that some teenage kissing could be just the worst thing ever, as far as Philip is concerned. I do hope those crazy kids make it through.  Did Stan really expect Philip to be cool with being told his daughter was making out with Stan's son, though?

[close]

An outstanding season of television. Every episode was at least an 8/10, with the vast majority 9s or 10s. 
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Vork+The Knights of Good

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Macklin, you son of a bitch.
« Reply #363 on: June 10, 2016, 12:31:48 am »
Anybody want a Coke?
Justice For The 96

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #364 on: June 10, 2016, 11:12:49 am »
Anybody want a Coke?

I laughed at the moment despite the seriousness of the scene.

Spoiler
Don't know if they run or not, I think if they will, it will be for a short period of time. Don't know how and if Beeman, Anderholt and the FBI use William's last hallucinating words. What I keep mostly, is how Philip and Elisabeth surely thought of a scenario having to run away some time (especially when they had kids) but how difficult a choice is to implement it when the moment is actually there.

As for Paige and what Ray said, yeah I mean Philip wouldn't mind if it was a son of his making out with neighbour's daughter for example but I think he was uncomfortable mainly because he thinks that Paige does that as a spying session for them despite telling her not to do it out of that.
[close]
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #365 on: July 2, 2016, 06:59:06 pm »
Fans of "The Americans," if you haven't seen it yet, you would probably like the German series "Deutschland 83" - it is very similar, in a way, and very cool (through two episodes anyway  :P ) I just thought you would like to know  :wave
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #366 on: July 3, 2016, 11:37:37 am »
Disappointing there is no second season of Deutschland 83 on the horizon.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #367 on: July 3, 2016, 12:38:26 pm »
Fans of "The Americans," if you haven't seen it yet, you would probably like the German series "Deutschland 83" - it is very similar, in a way, and very cool (through two episodes anyway  :P ) I just thought you would like to know  :wave

Cheers for that. Is it on netflix UK?

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #368 on: July 3, 2016, 04:03:05 pm »

Not sure, mate, but it is on one of those services - I've been watching it through torrents. If I see something at the end of this episode I am watching, I will edit this post later.  ;)

EDIT: Gumbo, it looks like the source for this outside of Germany is Sundance TV from America. I'm not sure if you have access to that one.
« Last Edit: July 3, 2016, 04:31:16 pm by Razor Blade Alphonse »
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Online Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #369 on: July 3, 2016, 04:39:44 pm »
It was shown on channel 4 and its on their 4 player or whatever its called. There was a separate thread about it on here.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/deutschland-83

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #370 on: July 18, 2016, 12:14:48 pm »
Explanation needed please lads/lasses.

I'm half way through season 2 and enjoying it.

The only bit I'm thoroughly confused over though is the Captain Larrick storyline.  He's the gay Navy seal who has something to do with Nicaragua. I think he's a double agent but not sure.

I'm really confused as to who/what he is and why The KGB are involved.

If someone could spoiler tag me an explanation I would be grateful :wave

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #371 on: July 18, 2016, 02:06:23 pm »
Explanation needed please lads/lasses.

I'm half way through season 2 and enjoying it.

The only bit I'm thoroughly confused over though is the Captain Larrick storyline.  He's the gay Navy seal who has something to do with Nicaragua. I think he's a double agent but not sure.

I'm really confused as to who/what he is and why The KGB are involved.

If someone could spoiler tag me an explanation I would be grateful :wave

Not sure how far in you are, but this will help

http://theamericans.wikia.com/wiki/Andrew_Larrick

As the show goes on, there are a few characters that they interact with episode after episode, but you have no idea why. Then finally it's revealed.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #372 on: July 18, 2016, 03:52:13 pm »
Not sure how far in you are, but this will help

http://theamericans.wikia.com/wiki/Andrew_Larrick

As the show goes on, there are a few characters that they interact with episode after episode, but you have no idea why. Then finally it's revealed.

Brilliant! Thanks Mate. That explains it perfect.

Didn't realize there was a dedicated Americans Wiki.

Now I know!! :)

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #373 on: July 18, 2016, 04:41:10 pm »
Brilliant! Thanks Mate. That explains it perfect.

Didn't realize there was a dedicated Americans Wiki.

Now I know!! :)
I think there's a dedicated wiki for every show!

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
  • the king: making grown men feel like 10-year olds
« Reply #374 on: July 18, 2016, 05:02:14 pm »
finally got round to watching the finale of the most recent season...

Spoiler
grim.  and that bit at the end was weird on stan's part.  did he really expect paige's father to participate in his celebrations?  and do we really think paige was playing a honeypot or just following her hormones?

hitting a lot of reset buttons for next season, and throwing a massive spanner into the intricate machinery with the arrival of mischa.  next season can't come quickly enough :)
[close]
Dudek saaaaves for Liverpoool!  Liverpool have won the Champions' League!  Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart!

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #375 on: March 8, 2017, 10:11:52 pm »
This is back, btw. First episode should be in the usual places.

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #376 on: March 8, 2017, 10:43:01 pm »
Great opening episode.

Loved the  little montage after the opening credits showing the difference between the agriculture of vast plains of crops in the American Midwest to the barren fields of the Soviet Union and the empty supermarkets with long queues.

Reminds me of an article i read online when Yeltsin made his first visit to America in Houston,Yeltsin had been invited to Nasa and given a full tour of everything,after the tour he wanted to visit a supermarket and was just astounded at the choices and options at so much food Americans can have in a supermarket and that if the people of the Soviet Union had seen footage or pictures of American supermarkets then they would be a revolution back home,he also said the politicians back home don't have this choice of food.

He was supposed to have been really down for the rest of the visit because it had dawned on him that Capitalism had beaten Communism all from that visit to a supermarket,he was supposed to have been more impressed by the tour of the  supermarket than visiting Nasa.:D

Here's some pictures of Yeltsin's visit to that supermarket.

« Last Edit: March 8, 2017, 10:44:50 pm by RedSince86 »
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #377 on: March 9, 2017, 10:41:48 am »
Ah Boris, the sell out.

Liked the episode as well. The tone was expected and eager to see how the Paige plot will evolve.

Online Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #378 on: March 9, 2017, 12:24:16 pm »
Kinda disappointed - saw that the episode was called 'Amber Waves', so hoped that Julianne Moore's Boogie Nights character was going to be introduced.  With Rollergirl too.    :P

I was seriously confused during the opening scenes though. Who's this Asian guy?  Why are the Jennings's staying with him and dressed up like airline crew?  Who's this Pasha kid?  So much so that I went back to the last ep of S4 to see if I had just plain forgot about this storyline. Which meant it was really bloody late by the time this ended.

And then I realise in the Fort Dietrich scenes that they're just fucking with me, only revealing the information they want to give the viewer in their own sweet time, and I'm just going to have to wait. While maintaining the tension and the shock value and the relationships as always.

They're just masterful storytellers.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #379 on: March 9, 2017, 02:02:46 pm »
Kinda disappointed - saw that the episode was called 'Amber Waves', so hoped that Julianne Moore's Boogie Nights character was going to be introduced.  With Rollergirl too.    :P

I was seriously confused during the opening scenes though. Who's this Asian guy?  Why are the Jennings's staying with him and dressed up like airline crew?  Who's this Pasha kid?  So much so that I went back to the last ep of S4 to see if I had just plain forgot about this storyline. Which meant it was really bloody late by the time this ended.

And then I realise in the Fort Dietrich scenes that they're just fucking with me, only revealing the information they want to give the viewer in their own sweet time, and I'm just going to have to wait. While maintaining the tension and the shock value and the relationships as always.

I assume after seeing the whole thing, you're less confused?

Online Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #380 on: March 9, 2017, 02:23:13 pm »
I assume after seeing the whole thing, you're less confused?

Yes, but I did think I had somehow downloaded episode 2 for a while  :D

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #381 on: March 9, 2017, 02:50:04 pm »
Yes, but I did think I had somehow downloaded episode 2 for a while  :D
Haha, they did just throw us in there, didn't they?

Offline DrTobiasFunke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #382 on: March 10, 2017, 02:45:55 am »

Spoiler
I was thrown by the opening sequence too. The season 4 finale left it open as to whether they'd go on the run when William was arrested. I thought for a second that they'd left Paige and Henry behind and started a new family with an Asian kid  ;D

What an ending to the episode though! The suspense was built so well with the digging scene and I thought it was a bit of an anti-climax when it was William's body (also a bit annoyed that I didn't work that out from Gabriel's line about William having a 'final mission'). But then he slipped, as soon as he cut his hand it was obvious that Philip and Elizabeth weren't going to take any chances.
[close]

Such a great show. Just gets better and better.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 02:54:52 am by DrTobiasFunke »

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #383 on: March 10, 2017, 10:19:00 am »
^^I thought that not a single word being spoken until it was really necessary made it even better and suspenseful as you said it. Love this series.

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #384 on: March 10, 2017, 11:00:07 am »
^^I thought that not a single word being spoken until it was really necessary made it even better and suspenseful as you said it. Love this series.
This,you just get consumed watching the suspense that you don't realise there is nothing being said.

Reminded me a bit of the opening 5-10 minutes of There Will Be Blood which was amazingly the same with some digging and no speaking. ;D
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #385 on: March 10, 2017, 01:42:45 pm »
Spoiler
I was thrown by the opening sequence too. The season 4 finale left it open as to whether they'd go on the run when William was arrested. I thought for a second that they'd left Paige and Henry behind and started a new family with an Asian kid  ;D

What an ending to the episode though! The suspense was built so well with the digging scene and I thought it was a bit of an anti-climax when it was William's body (also a bit annoyed that I didn't work that out from Gabriel's line about William having a 'final mission'). But then he slipped, as soon as he cut his hand it was obvious that Philip and Elizabeth weren't going to take any chances.
[close]

Such a great show. Just gets better and better.
Spoiler
I assumed immediately they were digging up his body, but when the hole was getting so deep and wide I started second guessing myself. It became clear why it was so wide, and I assume the depth was due to the contamination. But you'd think it was safer to burn the body.
[close]

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #386 on: March 12, 2017, 10:15:32 pm »
i think that final sequence is benefitting from a bit of confirmation bias - this show has done long, silent, meticulous sequences very well before, and so just being long, silent and meticulous makes it good by association.  i thought this one was not particularly impressive, and the 'shocking' climax utterly predictable from the moment they saw the aerial photo... but credit to them for taking the risk.  it's like stewart lee spending 20 minutes making funny noises into the mic in the last episodes of comedy vehicle :)

the rest of the episode was pretty much superb though - as others have mentioned, i love the fact it's a show that's happy to be quite so elliptical, trusting the viewers to be able to work out what's going on. no handholding here :)

returning to my own personal hobby horse with this show, the sovietisation of paige continues apace, not least with this beautifully lit shot that poses her reminiscent of so many propaganda posters...

Spoiler

[close]

Dudek saaaaves for Liverpoool!  Liverpool have won the Champions' League!  Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart!

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #387 on: March 14, 2017, 08:55:18 am »
good to see it back...although Paige is as annoying as always
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #388 on: March 16, 2017, 11:48:33 am »
“Hmm. They used to have a Lincoln. Now they have a Reagan.”

Offline Pistolero

• Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #389 on: March 17, 2017, 08:48:01 am »
real slow burner this week...tasty seeds being sewn for the rest of the season ..

Spoiler
I worry for Oleg.....one of the shows (few) good guys. His past is going to catch up with him...despite Stan's genuine efforts to protect him

Not sure about Tuan - the new pretend son.....too keen by half and not to be trusted, he's goanner be the cause of some serious shit that's for sure.

Stan's new gym bird - deffo a spy!!  8)

[close]

They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Online Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #390 on: March 17, 2017, 08:51:50 am »
Quick question. 

The woman in the Gym - was she in The Walking Dead?
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline Pistolero

• Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #391 on: March 17, 2017, 08:56:01 am »
Quick answer

Yep

Online Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #392 on: March 17, 2017, 09:10:37 am »
Quick answer

Yep

Cheers - thought I recognised her.
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Online Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #393 on: March 18, 2017, 02:33:45 pm »
Bit of a place setting episode. Poor Stan is too dumb to realise his latest object of his affections is bound to be a honey trap. 'She's like a female version of you, Phillip'. Yes, she's a goddamn soviet spy.

Gratuitous shot of Keri Russell's ass always welcome though.

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #394 on: March 20, 2017, 07:12:48 am »
“Hmm. They used to have a Lincoln. Now they have a Reagan.”

am i the only one who thought the reagan line was a little too on-the-nose, too obviously written?

i loved elizabeth's little "we understand" though.

really don't get the paige dislike.  she's a fascinating character, really well performed.

also, stan's reaction to being hugged by the sweaty new woman is possibly the perviest thing ever committed to film :lmao

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #395 on: March 20, 2017, 11:11:40 am »
am i the only one who thought the reagan line was a little too on-the-nose, too obviously written?

i loved elizabeth's little "we understand" though.

really don't get the paige dislike.  she's a fascinating character, really well performed.

Probably. Still liked it though.

Agreed on Paige. I (probably) used to dislike her but her character development is spot on, her performance more than good and has become a vital cog of the series.

Offline Garrus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #396 on: March 23, 2017, 10:43:52 am »
Spoiler
Poor Martha  :(
[close]

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #397 on: March 24, 2017, 02:02:43 pm »
Spoiler
Poor Martha  :(
[close]
:D

Whole lot different to Walmart.

Online Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #398 on: March 29, 2017, 11:36:12 pm »
So, who's the grown-up kid in the Jennings house and why does everyone call him Henry? Damn growth spurts.

It's such a great family dynamic. Phil and Liz are superspies, yet have no idea if their own son has a girlfriend, or is failing maths or anything. And Paige is super freaked out by her Mum's alter ego, not realising that Elizabeth is an alter-ego anyway. And then she tries to emulate her mom by doing some spying herself. That'll end well..

Brenda is my favourite Elizabeth alter-ego. Hot damn, I'd take her hiking any time, etc.

Offline Omygoditsomar

• Main Stander
« Reply #399 on: March 30, 2017, 12:29:32 am »
I think Stan's new girlfriend is a spy just have a funny feeling. This is my favourite show ever btw