Author Topic: Homeland - now finished in the States - here be spoilers  (Read 122266 times)

Offline SkrtelPower

• NewCold
  • Kopite
  • Leave it yeeeeeeeah! Queen of his own world.
Re: Homeland Season 2 Discussion - *contains spoilers*
« Reply #160 on: November 1, 2012, 09:12:06 am »
Season 2 thus far has been very poor compared to season 1.

Offline libby_lfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • It's impossible to be unhappy in a poncho.
    • Twitter
« Reply #161 on: November 1, 2012, 11:59:00 am »
I'm really keen to see why they're rushing it so much!
People listen to Coldplay and voted for the Nazis, you can't trust people.

Offline Col

• Shaves his tongue and shares makeup tips. May be a little camp.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #162 on: November 1, 2012, 03:44:43 pm »
Spoiler
With the hit and run, it could go in a completely different direction - say, for example, someone saw it and maybe got pictures of the car. If it were all to come out in the press (especially if the woman dies), then it could make Walden's position as VP untenable.

If he quits or is removed, but the terrorists' plan is already in motion, what do they do?

Carry on with their plan and kill the incoming VP? Surely Brody wouldn't take any available position knowing this to be a risk.

Or maybe they go after Walden personally?

Maybe they do both, leading to a personal assasaination attempt and a public terrorism movement, with Brody somehow involved?

[close]
I don't have to sell my soul... he's already in me.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #163 on: November 2, 2012, 09:49:03 am »
Spoiler
Regarding the accident and correct me if i'm wrong,but didn't they show someone standing above the woman that was down hurt?
[close]
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline Shepnois

• Legacy Fan
  • Livin' in the Sunshine, Lovin' in the Moonlight
« Reply #164 on: November 2, 2012, 10:02:57 am »
Spoiler
Regarding the accident and correct me if i'm wrong,but didn't they show someone standing above the woman that was down hurt?
[close]

Spoiler
Yep, another car stopped and someone got out to help. Whoever that person is would've seen the car driving away so might have some details about the car
[close]

Offline ghost1359

• Loves his nuts, but can't swallow them without gagging
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #165 on: November 3, 2012, 11:33:10 pm »
Spoiler
He was a captive for years, underwent years of physical and psychological torture and we're supposed to believe he'd crack in under 24 hours?
[close]

This season is painfully predictable so far and nowhere near as good as the first
"Be on the watch, the gods will offer you chances. Know them, take them" - The laughing heart, Charles Bukowski

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #166 on: November 5, 2012, 05:56:29 pm »
Wasn't expecting that
Spoiler
shootout/massacre at the old tailor's store
[close]
- should be interesting to see where it goes after this and what the resulting fallout will be.
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline choi

• of sex.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Toto
« Reply #167 on: November 5, 2012, 08:00:43 pm »
Spoiler
I thought there was gonna be an IED in the shop or something, didn't think they'd be ambushed.
[close]

Offline WelshMike

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: November 5, 2012, 09:55:09 pm »
It's getting sillier by the week.

Having said that, I'm enjoying and anticipating it more than I have in the past. Maybe it's because everybody's stopped going on about how breathtakingly awesome season 1 was (not true - the cliches and silliness was still there) and now there are people crying into their tweets about it having jumped the shark.

It seems as though the fan base is as schizophrenic - which is the only word I can really think of to describe it -as the show is. Everything is either amazing or terrible. It's the same with the show itself... from scene to scene it can go from excellent to cliched nonsense. It's all a bit mental really.

I think even the acting has been overblown a little... there are some memorable scenes but at the same time seeing Claire Danes go mental in every scene is a little tedious and unnecessarily over-the-top (and I do understand the fact that she has mental health issues, before you mention it). I don't think the roles - for the most part - are as difficult as plenty of others. They're not exactly understated or subtle.

Generally the two leads are good but the rest of the cast are wooden as fuck as well. They thought about pretending that David Estes' character was three-dimensional for a couple of episodes during this season and then gave up.

Having said all that - and I realise it looks like I'm moaning lots - it's still interesting to see where it'll go, but if they go on much longer than this and next season then I've got a feeling that it'll be getting more ludicrous by the episode.
TEAMWORK
Coming together is a beginning.
Keeping together is a progress.
Working together is a success.

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #169 on: November 6, 2012, 01:44:06 am »
Spoiler
So not down with Carrie and Brody hooking up again. Her and Quinn need to bang instead.
[close]

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
  • the king: making grown men feel like 10-year olds
« Reply #170 on: November 6, 2012, 02:58:03 am »
It seems as though the fan base is as schizophrenic - which is the only word I can really think of to describe it -as the show is. Everything is either amazing or terrible. It's the same with the show itself... from scene to scene it can go from excellent to cliched nonsense. It's all a bit mental really.

bipolar, surely?

I think even the acting has been overblown a little... there are some memorable scenes but at the same time seeing Claire Danes go mental in every scene is a little tedious and unnecessarily over-the-top (and I do understand the fact that she has mental health issues, before you mention it). I don't think the roles - for the most part - are as difficult as plenty of others. They're not exactly understated or subtle.

there is plenty of subtlety in the two leads, saul, and the daughter.  there is a lot more to danes's performance than just the breakdowns, just like there's more to lewis's than that dreadful accent.

i agree though that other than those characters, its just standard issue TV fare.

Spoiler
nothing of any real interest in that episode, other than the shootout.  pretty dull again.  not even particularly silly.  100% pure mid-season filler.
[close]
Dudek saaaaves for Liverpoool!  Liverpool have won the Champions' League!  Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart!

Online Mr Dilkington

• would rather be too cold than too hot
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never buy the Sun
    • www.level3football.com
« Reply #171 on: November 6, 2012, 04:45:06 am »
It's criticised when it's dull, and it's criticised when it's toning things down.

Think people are being way, way too harsh on this season. Didn't like the episode with the tailor, but apart from that the standard has been very high.

It's brilliant TV.
You change all the lead, sleeping in my head, as the day grows dim, I hear you sing a golden hymn.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #172 on: November 6, 2012, 04:54:41 am »
Classic American TV, everyone moans at the pacing in the first season. So it goes far too much the other direction in the following seasons and just turns into an average show.

Same thing happened with Heroes, I blame American audiences.
:D

Offline Craigeth

• Legacy Fan
  • Ninety six Friends, we all shall miss YNWA
« Reply #173 on: November 6, 2012, 09:06:32 am »
Classic American TV, everyone moans at the pacing in the first season. So it goes far too much the other direction in the following seasons and just turns into an average show.

Same thing happened with Heroes, I blame American audiences.

Couldn't agree more and the Heroes comparison is spot on!

Online SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: November 6, 2012, 09:58:06 am »
I'm still really enjoying it personally, but it's kind of become a show I'd no longer eagerly recommend to someone as in the top league of shows.

It's become really obvious what is happening, the plot is telegraphed all the time and the acting and fond memories of the first season are carrying the show.

Even his wife doesn't seem as fit any more.

Spoiler
Is the thing at the tailors some kind of bomb? SO 24. And I hated 24 after the first series. Let's hope it's not the same with Homeland...
[close]
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Rusty Oysterburger

• Might be George Gillett
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Homeland Season 2 Discussion - *contains spoilers*
« Reply #175 on: November 6, 2012, 12:18:48 pm »
Heroes was shite from the first episode and then mega shite in the second season.

I think the show has lost a little of its magic from season one, everything about it seems much more... standard? Probably not the right word, but it has become much more of a conventional thriller rather than the very enthralling psychological drama of the first season. The very rushed nature of the story so far doesn't help either.

That scene towards the end was a real surprise and nicely done, very brutal.

Still, it's really enjoyable to watch.
www.twitter.com/savagefletch

"'Do it?' Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I did it thirty-five minutes ago."

Offline Giovanni

• C'mon Chelsea!!! Stood on the Spyin Kop, the tricky bitch. Look out!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: November 6, 2012, 12:33:22 pm »
Did not fucking see that coming.

Boss
cyas

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
  • the king: making grown men feel like 10-year olds
« Reply #177 on: November 6, 2012, 01:24:12 pm »
Heroes was shite from the first episode and then mega shite in the second season.

I think the show has lost a little of its magic from season one, everything about it seems much more... standard? Probably not the right word, but it has become much more of a conventional thriller rather than the very enthralling psychological drama of the first season. The very rushed nature of the story so far doesn't help either.

the bolded bit is a fair summary.  i'd add that the show has also lost it's moral ambiguity.  it's now just the good guys (the CIA) against the bad guys (the nasty muslamicalists), and the story is exclusively from the good guys' perspective (whereas the more interesting parts of the first series were about brody coming to terms with everything he's been through).  much more formulaic, much more mundane.  the writing sucks more often than not, but it's still worth watching because the leads are so good.

i actually liked the first season of heroes, but i curse every second of the time i wasted watching any episode after that.
Dudek saaaaves for Liverpoool!  Liverpool have won the Champions' League!  Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart!

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #178 on: November 6, 2012, 04:27:46 pm »
Spoiler
I still think Brody is gonna fuck the CIA over despite him working for them. The two kids in the car plot is gonna be interesting, I think it is going to have serious repercussions on others.

Also surprised at the gettenburg scene.  Didn't expect that.
[close]
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Offline Alphaville

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lucas Lover
« Reply #179 on: November 6, 2012, 05:59:58 pm »

Spot on, from the shittiness of Heroes, to my overall dampened enthusiasm about the current season of Homeland, to the shock introduced by that final scene and to the fact that it's still a show worth watching, albeit with some reservations.

The series started really strongly, and I think it's probably down to the fact that there were questions regarding Brody's allegiance. Once the cat was out of the bag on that one, they had to frame what we know about his character within a realistic setting and I don't think they have managed that.  The plotlines are confused, which would be ok if I was convinced that Brody was confused, but I'm not.  I just think he's being dragged from one end of the spectrum to the other to serve the whim of the writers, not the other way around.
Check out my friend's band Fevers and their new EP (free to download): http://fevers.bandcamp.com/

Offline Col

• Shaves his tongue and shares makeup tips. May be a little camp.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: November 6, 2012, 08:58:08 pm »
Spoiler
Did anyone notice that during the scene where Roya was being tracked meeting the new guy, the younger of Carrie's two surveillance analyst friends seemed to purposefully place his mic in an area with high sound interference?
[close]
I don't have to sell my soul... he's already in me.

Offline libby_lfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • It's impossible to be unhappy in a poncho.
    • Twitter
« Reply #181 on: November 6, 2012, 10:50:46 pm »
Yeah I noticed that, and it seemed to focus on that, so definitely suspicious...
People listen to Coldplay and voted for the Nazis, you can't trust people.

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: November 6, 2012, 11:17:54 pm »
Yeah I noticed that, and it seemed to focus on that, so definitely suspicious...

He was "asleep" at one stage too.

Offline astowell1

• Legacy Fan
  • Klopp!
« Reply #183 on: November 6, 2012, 11:18:52 pm »
Hmm wonder where they are going with that...

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: November 6, 2012, 11:48:32 pm »
It's compelling, how many episodes are left in this series?

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: November 6, 2012, 11:59:15 pm »
It's compelling, how many episodes are left in this series?

6 more episodes. 12 in total this series.
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: November 7, 2012, 02:52:28 am »
Well, that was excellent. I just hope they don't mess the pacing up with that ending.
This is what I was afraid of. It's more than gone mental with the pacing, but it's lost it's main draw in that all the uncertainty of Brody being or not being a terrorist has been exposed, and as such the consequence of that means that it's lost all the tension and intrigue and a lot of the drama that made the first season so good. That's out the window now. The cat is out of the bag and the writers didn't know what to do with it. I'm fairly certain now that Homeland has jumped the shark.

Offline FernandoSusoLFC

• Has a boner for Bony. Listens on mute. broke the Flanno to Fiorentina story. may be @indykaila or @melly mellwood #incognito
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: November 7, 2012, 07:42:01 am »
Brody won the seat in congress for 2012 election ;)

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #188 on: November 7, 2012, 09:00:24 am »
Brody won the seat in congress for 2012 election ;)

The good news is that Obama is back in. The bad news is that it probably means Damian Lewis is still mad.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #189 on: November 7, 2012, 10:05:32 am »
I get some people don't like it like in the first season cause all the tense and ambiguity is gone.What exactly did you want though?All that we saw in the first one to continue in the second?I am sure some would say in that case that it drags too long etc.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: November 7, 2012, 11:43:10 am »
I get some people don't like it like in the first season cause all the tense and ambiguity is gone.What exactly did you want though?All that we saw in the first one to continue in the second?I am sure some would say in that case that it drags too long etc.
It's not just that. The plausibility is going down the tubes. Sure, it may have been a bit of a stretch that the plot in the first film was a little far fetched, even contrived in places, but at least you could think about it for a few seconds and your brain would accept that it could be believable. The second season is starting to add in ridiculous twists and turns that you know are straight from fantasy rather than a believable fiction, and what's more, it can only get more ridiculous.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #191 on: November 7, 2012, 12:23:29 pm »
It's not just that. The plausibility is going down the tubes. Sure, it may have been a bit of a stretch that the plot in the first film was a little far fetched, even contrived in places, but at least you could think about it for a few seconds and your brain would accept that it could be believable. The second season is starting to add in ridiculous twists and turns that you know are straight from fantasy rather than a believable fiction, and what's more, it can only get more ridiculous.

The first season was never believable. No matter how much you think about it the mere fact that she has a debilitating disease and no-one picks up on it doesn't wash anyway you look at it. From there the whole thing just falls down.

Not that it's not an exciting show or anything. Its fun to watch but I treat it the same way I do Supernatural.

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: November 7, 2012, 02:27:38 pm »
The first season was never believable. No matter how much you think about it the mere fact that she has a debilitating disease and no-one picks up on it doesn't wash anyway you look at it. From there the whole thing just falls down.

Not that it's not an exciting show or anything. Its fun to watch but I treat it the same way I do Supernatural.
The fact that a US marine could turn terrorist against America is believable. It's happened.

Supernatural is a completely different kettle of fish. It's pure fantasy. There's no realistic backdrop to it at all, so you can just go with it for what it is. Homeland set up some ground rules for itself with the first series and into the second of the current one, then it became unrealistic and farcical to the point where you just start to question things and that is what spoils the enjoyment for me: the questioning of the characters actions and the writing.
« Last Edit: November 7, 2012, 02:30:57 pm by Macphisto80 »

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: November 7, 2012, 02:28:24 pm »
The fact that a US marine could turn terrorist against America is believable. It's happened.

Wasn't debating that part.

Online Mr Dilkington

• Legacy Fan
  • Never buy the Sun
    • www.level3football.com
« Reply #194 on: November 7, 2012, 03:06:57 pm »
If you're comparing Supernatural to Homeland, you don't really get Homeland.
You change all the lead, sleeping in my head, as the day grows dim, I hear you sing a golden hymn.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: November 7, 2012, 03:07:50 pm »
If you're comparing Supernatural to Homeland, you don't really get Homeland.

What I am saying is I treat both shows as "Unbelievable"

Online Mr Dilkington

• Legacy Fan
  • Never buy the Sun
    • www.level3football.com
« Reply #196 on: November 7, 2012, 03:30:24 pm »
What I am saying is I treat both shows as "Unbelievable"
I think it's grossly unfair to lump it in with something like Supernatural, but that's just me.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: November 7, 2012, 03:32:38 pm »
I think it's grossly unfair to lump it in with something like Supernatural, but that's just me.

I enjoy both shows. But Season 1 of Homeland became completely unbelievable for me. Could the US POW turn terrorist plot happen sure, but the story had holes you could fly spaceships through. So I now treat it as a show rather than "something that happened", if you understand what I am saying.

Doesn't mean I enjoy it less, I just view it as a show.

Offline 7777

• RAWK Boxing Prediction League Champion 07
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We see things they'll never see
« Reply #198 on: November 7, 2012, 03:36:51 pm »
I thought it was a show?

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: November 7, 2012, 03:38:52 pm »
I thought it was a show?

I'm not explaining it very well. When I starting watching I had a one perception of the show until the holes started in the plot. Then my perception of the show changed and now I view it as something "unbelievable" like supernatural.