Author Topic: Dave's TV Snobbery Topic with added Low Brow Self Indulgences  (Read 1233731 times)

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Dave's TV Snobbery Topic with added Low Brow Self Indulgences
« Reply #6840 on: April 10, 2017, 07:29:40 am »
Billions has been unreal this season, huge step up from a decent first one.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Igor Tripod Biscan

• Got it, got off it, got on with it. Is rice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #6841 on: April 10, 2017, 10:04:50 am »
Better call saul series 3 starts tonight

Fuck yeah!
Liverpool is the pool of life.
Carl Jung, 1961.  Alan Partridge didn't ask for a second season you meff

Offline Oddball

• aka 'Steve'. Thinks Autumn is a series. Shite at COD. Search me. Mathematical legend. "Space". Likes to Fuck holmes. Currently sporting a fetching muzzy. Onion Fondler. Blinded by the light. Would like a small larger beer. Can fakh orf
  • RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #6842 on: April 10, 2017, 02:29:57 pm »
Done. Check your pm's for a link. ;)

Bloody star, cheers mate :wave
We may sign Salah, but I'll show my arse in the middle of town if we sign one of VVD or Keita. Not gonna happen.

Offline Oddball

• aka 'Steve'. Thinks Autumn is a series. Shite at COD. Search me. Mathematical legend. "Space". Likes to Fuck holmes. Currently sporting a fetching muzzy. Onion Fondler. Blinded by the light. Would like a small larger beer. Can fakh orf
  • RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #6843 on: April 10, 2017, 02:30:54 pm »
Billions has been unreal this season, huge step up from a decent first one.

Yea? Cant wait til it finishes so I can binge watch them as I have a memory like a sieve. And if you say its better than the first, which I LOVED...happy days.
We may sign Salah, but I'll show my arse in the middle of town if we sign one of VVD or Keita. Not gonna happen.

Offline Oddball

• RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #6844 on: April 10, 2017, 02:33:01 pm »
I dont suppose anyone knows where I can get a documentary called The Green Hill? Mates after it who is normally pretty good at finding things, but he has having no luck bar to pay for it on You Tubes sister channel.

Offline Greatness

• Spineless and gutless
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6845 on: April 11, 2017, 10:32:05 pm »
Thought 13 reasons was very good, kinda tragic watching a show like that though.

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6846 on: April 12, 2017, 11:26:51 am »
The last half of The Get Down is out and it completely passed me by. I've now downloaded them and will be giving them a watch over the Bank Holiday weekend.

Offline Saul Goodman

• Superfluous apostrophe's are us
  • Legacy Fan
  • Better call Saul!
    • Better Call Saul.
« Reply #6847 on: April 15, 2017, 06:22:07 pm »
Thought 13 reasons was very good, kinda tragic watching a show like that though.

I am bleary eyed and emotionally drained from having done a marathon run at this. I found it hard to engage with early on but it pulled me in and spat me back out by the end. Great cast, superbly acted story which veers into realms television normally steers clear. Cracking soundtrack throughout too.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6848 on: April 15, 2017, 07:32:09 pm »
I've burned through Into The Badlands pretty quickly, so far it's been a really enjoyable over the top martial arts action show, Crouching Tiger style, set in a pretty interesting world with some decent characters. It's quite short too, 6 45 minute episodes for the first season and season two is 4 episodes in with 6 to go. Weirdly the first season didn't review too well on RT and the second season is sat on 100%, despite them being very similar, but I'd say it's definitely worth a watch.

Online Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #6849 on: April 15, 2017, 10:14:49 pm »
Just started to watch the new series of Mystery science theater 3000 that's been released on Netflix.

Looking forward to the Land that time forgot loved it when I was a kid and Starcrash ...... Caroline Munro.

Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6850 on: April 16, 2017, 08:10:56 pm »
Hope its ok to bring up old shows but does anyone remember Danger UXB, my dear old mum used to let me watch it back in the day.

Just watched the first episode and enjoyed it, those men who had that job must have balls of steel.

Online Zee_26

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6851 on: April 17, 2017, 04:30:26 pm »
13 Reasons Why reminded me a lot of the Rian Johnson film Brick. I guess it might be the noir-ish elements of the story and the high school setting. I might be the only one though as I haven't seen anyone else make that connection on any of the reviews I've read.

In any case, there's certainly a lot to like about 13 reasons why. It's well written, well directed, has some very good performances especially by the two leads, and a superb soundtrack. But there's so much sadness and regret in this show that it becomes incredibly difficult to watch and not be affected by it. It's definitely a series that will sit with you for some time after watching.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #6852 on: April 17, 2017, 07:37:21 pm »
Hope its ok to bring up old shows but does anyone remember Danger UXB, my dear old mum used to let me watch it back in the day.

Just watched the first episode and enjoyed it, those men who had that job must have balls of steel.

That was probably Anthony Andrews' first major TV role.

Offline Inpeace

• Kopite
« Reply #6853 on: April 18, 2017, 09:34:52 am »
I've burned through Into The Badlands pretty quickly, so far it's been a really enjoyable over the top martial arts action show, Crouching Tiger style, set in a pretty interesting world with some decent characters. It's quite short too, 6 45 minute episodes for the first season and season two is 4 episodes in with 6 to go. Weirdly the first season didn't review too well on RT and the second season is sat on 100%, despite them being very similar, but I'd say it's definitely worth a watch.

think this is worth watching for the fight scenes alone - the plot / acting is purposely mimicking kung-fu movies / TV and is over the top but I think it adds to it.  Apparently the actors spent a few months pre filming learning the set pieces hence the 6 episode run.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6854 on: April 18, 2017, 03:35:09 pm »
think this is worth watching for the fight scenes alone - the plot / acting is purposely mimicking kung-fu movies / TV and is over the top but I think it adds to it.  Apparently the actors spent a few months pre filming learning the set pieces hence the 6 episode run.

Yeah the fight scenes are exceptional for a TV show, I don't think I've seen anything else nearly as good.

Offline Inpeace

• Kopite
« Reply #6855 on: April 18, 2017, 03:52:07 pm »
Yeah the fight scenes are exceptional for a TV show, I don't think I've seen anything else nearly as good.

Think this is top for "out there wire work"  = Crouching tiger
Deardevil is probably best for "realistic" = Oldboy

neither come close to the original batman.

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #6856 on: April 18, 2017, 05:32:21 pm »
Some right shite getting watched and talked about in here...new and old. ;D

....lets see if we can come up with something worth watching...I know.

Season three of Bosch from Friday. Those who've read the books will be familiar with the story lines fro this season. There will be stories and elements from both The Black Echo and A Darkness More Than Night. Primarily these will be, Bosch is driven and feels duty bound in finding the killer of a fellow Special Forces soldier. He also connects to a young runaway named Sharkey. Then with A Darkness More Than Night you see a more desperate Bosch, a man who thinks the system is broken and doesn’t protect the vulnerable. It gets to him and makes others question if he is okay.

Till Friday then....

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/-AOwwasZ2WA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/-AOwwasZ2WA</a>

Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #6857 on: April 18, 2017, 05:40:27 pm »
Also from Today is the prequel to the BBC series, The White Queen. This was based upon the historical novels by Phillipa Gregory(The White Queen, The Red Queen, and The Kingmaker's Daughter) A ten part mini-series that finished...I dunno,4/5 years back. The BBC decided against making a second series...and it was left to Starz, where the series was shown in the USA, to come up with this prequel, The White Princess. It premiered last night and is available everywhere now.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/HrJDJopfyF8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/HrJDJopfyF8</a>

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #6858 on: April 18, 2017, 05:41:58 pm »
Brockmire   is a famed major league baseball announcer who suffers an embarrassing and very public meltdown live on the air after discovering his beloved wife’s serial infidelity. A decade later, Jim Brockmire decides to reclaim his career and love life in a small American rust belt town that has seen better days, calling minor league baseball games for the Morristown Frackers. The struggling team is led by Jules (Amanda Peet), the strong-willed, hard-drinking owner and Charles (Tyrel Jackson Williams), the naïve but enthusiastic team intern, is worth a look. The best thing Azaria has done since Huff. Tragically canned..by faceless money grubbing suits!!

Still the most fun of the new shows in 17. 8)

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6859 on: April 18, 2017, 06:32:03 pm »
Also from Today is the prequel to the BBC series, The White Queen. This was based upon the historical novels by Phillipa Gregory(The White Queen, The Red Queen, and The Kingmaker's Daughter) A ten part mini-series that finished...I dunno,4/5 years back. The BBC decided against making a second series...and it was left to Starz, where the series was shown in the USA, to come up with this prequel, The White Princess. It premiered last night and is available everywhere now.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/HrJDJopfyF8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/HrJDJopfyF8</a>

I might be watching this. Not sure why

Offline Nitramdorf

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6860 on: April 18, 2017, 06:32:59 pm »
That was probably Anthony Andrews' first major TV role.

Yes I think so. It also has Judy Geeson in it  :)

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #6861 on: April 18, 2017, 07:18:59 pm »
I might be watching this. Not sure why
Fuck off!! I've just nearly spat water over me new laptop. ;D

Can't be any worse than that shite you checked above....there was only one drama that got watched back then...The Sweeney. ;)

I meant to mention this in the Veep thread. Set up a free account here and you can keep up to date with all the shows you like.

http://www.pogdesign.co.uk/cat/
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 07:22:12 pm by dave 5516 »

Offline Nitramdorf

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6862 on: April 18, 2017, 08:11:35 pm »
Fuck off!! I've just nearly spat water over me new laptop. ;D

Can't be any worse than that shite you checked above....there was only one drama that got watched back then...The Sweeney. ;)

I meant to mention this in the Veep thread. Set up a free account here and you can keep up to date with all the shows you like.

http://www.pogdesign.co.uk/cat/

I used to love The Sweeney also. Only cop show I've ever really seen really.
Ill have a look at that link, cheers.

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #6863 on: April 19, 2017, 11:24:48 pm »
Finished that 13 reasons why on netflix. Thought it was really good to be honest. First half felt just like a decent watch but the second half gripped me massively and had me emotionally involved. The last few episodes especially were really touching, and I struggled to watch *that* part in the last episode. Fucking grim but good work from Netflix again.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6864 on: April 20, 2017, 10:33:53 am »
New Bosch? Great news! Thanks for the heads up Dave.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #6865 on: April 20, 2017, 11:16:30 am »

Online Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #6866 on: April 20, 2017, 11:57:02 am »
I get a feeling Twitter will be full of Scouse shit tonight.

8pm on Ch5

On Benefits: Breadline Scousers The documentary series focuses on welfare recipients from the Merseyside area, including New Brighton man Jimmy, who struggles to find work as his religious beliefs prevent him from working on a Sunday, and Birkenhead single mum Nicola, who has become an expert bargain hunter to help stretch her benefits. Wallasey man Joe has a number of serious health conditions and hasn't had a shower at home in three years. However, after three years on the waiting list, a move to a specially adapted bungalow is finally on the cards
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6867 on: April 20, 2017, 12:07:43 pm »

8pm on Ch5

On Benefits: Breadline ScousersThe documentary series focuses on welfare recipients from the Merseyside area, including New Brighton man Jimmy, who struggles to find work as his religious beliefs prevent him from working on a Sunday, and Birkenhead single mum Nicola, who has become an expert bargain hunter to help stretch her benefits. Wallasey man Joe has a number of serious health conditions and hasn't had a shower at home in three years. However, after three years on the waiting list, a move to a specially adapted bungalow is finally on the cards

Should be called On Benefits: Breadline Wools  :D
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 12:09:31 pm by SamAteTheRedAcid »
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6868 on: April 20, 2017, 12:51:30 pm »
Looking forward to the new Bosch, probably my favourite current crime series. Titus Welliver looks nothing like what I expected Bosch to look like from the books and they're not the most faithful of adaptations but fuck it, this might be one of those rare cases where the TV series is better than its literary forbear.

Great stuff. Good looking out, Mr 5516.

Offline JoeCole

• Spoiler!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6869 on: April 20, 2017, 06:05:45 pm »
Is Bosch a case of the week show or does it have an ongoing story?

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #6870 on: April 20, 2017, 06:42:38 pm »
Is Bosch a case of the week show or does it have an ongoing story?
It's available as a full season from Amazon and everywhere else from midnight Friday. Each season has loosely been based on two of the books in the Bosch canon.

Offline paul211b

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6871 on: April 20, 2017, 06:48:50 pm »
Ooh Fargo season 3 episode 1 is on the usual places.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #6872 on: April 20, 2017, 06:56:42 pm »

8pm on Ch5

Should be called On Benefits: Breadline Wools  :D

Should be called what it is...propaganda. This shite is aimed at thick ignorant working class people who allow themselves to feel better about their shitty lives as they look down their noses at those less fortunate than they.

It's a means of division...along with "immigrants" "shirkers" and "scroungers" are the new enemy within now we no longer have unions and the workers in them to distract...the less inquisitive, I'll say, amongst us.

And to add to that...we have a gormless sectarian as leader of the opposition...a person who'd be more at home in SWP than leading the main opposition party...and when the party is decimated in the elections all those who supported him and his ilk can look back and say.."I did that" as the party becomes an irrelevant rump. Think I joke..look back in history and you'll see the Liberal Paart who won GE's and held power...that's what the future holds for the party....all because people don't or won't understand that we live in a small c conservative country and the Labour Party has always been centrist when in power....but hey...we've got a left wing party....

And bear in mind...I came up in the Labour Party and the LPYS in the 70's and was part of the vanguard cadre that was to the fore in the late 70's and 80's in Liverpool...and if you have any idea of what that means you'll realise I'm probably to the left of most in here....and yet I can still see what's going to happen. Sometimes in politics you have to be pragmatic and see and except the bigger picture is more important.

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #6873 on: April 20, 2017, 07:07:44 pm »
Ooh Fargo season 3 episode 1 is on the usual places.

Series 3? - That was out of the blue!

Nice one

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #6876 on: April 20, 2017, 07:21:04 pm »
This, Patriot, I mentioned back in 2015 when it was part of that years Amazon pilots season. I liked it, it wasn't the greatest thing ever, but..it was an okay watch.  An interesting dramedy/quirky satire that is about a CIA operative who in his real job has to prevent Iran from going nuclear, intelligence officer John Tavner must forgo all safety nets and assume a perilous "non-official cover" -- that of a mid-level employee at a Midwestern industrial piping firm.

Thursday.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/1EXfNhReicY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/1EXfNhReicY</a>
This was fantastic. very Coen Brothers like in it's humour. Full of dark,wry, whimsical at times humour,. It is a great spy/thriller send up....and it's more than that at the same time.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #6877 on: April 22, 2017, 02:42:58 pm »
Some right shite getting watched and talked about in here...new and old. ;D

....lets see if we can come up with something worth watching...I know.

Season three of Bosch from Friday. Those who've read the books will be familiar with the story lines fro this season. There will be stories and elements from both The Black Echo and A Darkness More Than Night. Primarily these will be, Bosch is driven and feels duty bound in finding the killer of a fellow Special Forces soldier. He also connects to a young runaway named Sharkey. Then with A Darkness More Than Night you see a more desperate Bosch, a man who thinks the system is broken and doesn’t protect the vulnerable. It gets to him and makes others question if he is okay.

Till Friday then....

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/-AOwwasZ2WA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/-AOwwasZ2WA</a>
It's now available in the usual gaffs. :wave

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6878 on: April 22, 2017, 05:14:18 pm »
Should be called what it is...propaganda. This shite is aimed at thick ignorant working class people who allow themselves to feel better about their shitty lives as they look down their noses at those less fortunate than they.

It's a means of division...along with "immigrants" "shirkers" and "scroungers" are the new enemy within now we no longer have unions and the workers in them to distract...the less inquisitive, I'll say, amongst us.

And to add to that...we have a gormless sectarian as leader of the opposition...a person who'd be more at home in SWP than leading the main opposition party...and when the party is decimated in the elections all those who supported him and his ilk can look back and say.."I did that" as the party becomes an irrelevant rump. Think I joke..look back in history and you'll see the Liberal Paart who won GE's and held power...that's what the future holds for the party....all because people don't or won't understand that we live in a small c conservative country and the Labour Party has always been centrist when in power....but hey...we've got a left wing party....

And bear in mind...I came up in the Labour Party and the LPYS in the 70's and was part of the vanguard cadre that was to the fore in the late 70's and 80's in Liverpool...and if you have any idea of what that means you'll realise I'm probably to the left of most in here....and yet I can still see what's going to happen. Sometimes in politics you have to be pragmatic and see and except the bigger picture is more important.

I don't understand why there isn't more of an outcry about this sort of show. Broadcasters shouldn't be sneering at the least fortunate, trying to create a them and us between the working class and the very poorest members of society.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #6879 on: April 22, 2017, 08:59:09 pm »
This was fantastic. very Coen Brothers like in it's humour. Full of dark,wry, whimsical at times humour,. It is a great spy/thriller send up....and it's more than that at the same time.

Yes it was!

Fucking great cast, especially the lead Michael Dorman.  Cant recommend this highly enough.  Like Dave said - its very Coen Brothers
Fuckin aces - Looking forward to series 2!

Aliette Opheim as Detective Agathe Albans is excellent too - SO very very very very very beautiful and sexy