Author Topic: Gulleysucker's 'well I never knew that' thread  (Read 339004 times)

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Re: The 'well I never knew that' thread
« Reply #1360 on: November 14, 2016, 04:50:30 pm »

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1361 on: February 27, 2017, 12:35:17 am »
A player isn't allowed to flick the ball up for himself to head back to the goalkeeper. Considered unsporting behaviour, and an indirect free kick is awarded.

While not an infringement of the back-pass rule, players are also prohibited from using a deliberate trick to pass the ball to the goalkeeper with a part of the body other than the foot to circumvent the rule. This would include, but not be limited to:

flicking the ball up with the foot and then heading the ball back to the goalkeeper, or
heading a ball on the ground that would otherwise be regularly playable with the foot.
If a player uses such a trick, they are cautioned for unsporting behaviour, and the opponents are awarded an indirect free kick from where the trick was performed. It is irrelevant as to whether the goalkeeper subsequently handles the ball or not.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 12:40:05 am by Brnylfc ae »
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1362 on: February 27, 2017, 09:41:14 am »
A player isn't allowed to flick the ball up for himself to head back to the goalkeeper. Considered unsporting behaviour, and an indirect free kick is awarded.

Verratti got penalised for heading a ball that was virtually on the floor a few weeks ago. Can't remember who PSG were playing though.

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #1363 on: February 27, 2017, 11:06:19 am »
The Cavern in Mathew St is not the original Cavern club which was situated the other side of the street & was bulldozed after a CPO by British Rail to build a new ventilation shaft on it site.
The ventilation shaft was never built.
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline RJH

• doesn't know his alphabet
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1364 on: February 28, 2017, 10:48:59 pm »

Not sure why it's stuck in my mind, but I remember a player getting away with that against Liverpool in the UEFA cup a few years ago.
It was the season we got knocked out by Atletico - I think it was when we were playing Unirea.

The player flicked it up and headed it back to the keeper. I was sure it was a free kick, but it seemed like no one else in the entire ground noticed.
Fair enough that not every fan would know about it, but you'd expect the officials to know.

Of course, that was the same season as the beach ball incident, so maybe the officials just didn't study the laws of the game that year...

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1365 on: February 28, 2017, 11:06:22 pm »
Not sure why it's stuck in my mind, but I remember a player getting away with that against Liverpool in the UEFA cup a few years ago.
It was the season we got knocked out by Atletico - I think it was when we were playing Unirea.

The player flicked it up and headed it back to the keeper. I was sure it was a free kick, but it seemed like no one else in the entire ground noticed.
Fair enough that not every fan would know about it, but you'd expect the officials to know.

Of course, that was the same season as the beach ball incident, so maybe the officials just didn't study the laws of the game that year...

Gonna have to try to dig that one out. Don't remember it, and genuinely didn't know the ruling until I seen it the other night
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1366 on: February 28, 2017, 11:54:38 pm »
The Cavern in Mathew St is not the original Cavern club which was situated the other side of the street & was bulldozed after a CPO by British Rail to build a new ventilation shaft on it site.
The ventilation shaft was never built.
Although today's cavern is not on the exact site of the old one, it was on the same side of the street, just a little further down

http://kenwoodlennon.blogspot.co.uk/2011/03/liverpool-mathew-street.html

http://www.liverpoolpicturebook.com/p/l2.html

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #1367 on: March 1, 2017, 07:53:07 am »
Cheers Richie,probably i was a bit lazy/hasty there.

The CT in CT scans stands for Computerised Tomography.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #1368 on: March 1, 2017, 09:12:31 am »

Richie, I think the reason for the confusion is I remember for a brief time another 'new' Cavern briefly being open on the opposite side of the street when the original got filled in after the building above was demolished (the Merseyrail ventilation shaft business).

There seems to be no mention of this on wiki or the official Cavern site.

There is however a mention of this other short lived 'new' Cavern on the opposite side of the street here on the wayback machine.

In 1969 Roy Adams took over the management. Although he continued to provide a good standard of music and bringing in top acts together with a mix of top quality local musicians, the halcyon days of the Beatles and the Cavern had become fading memories.

Once the club closed in May 1973 and Roy Adams re-opened a new Cavern Club over the road the Cavern members and regulars moved elsewhere.

As it happens, I knew Adams older son back in those days (as the article mentions his younger brother Paul is involved these days with Gerrard in his Southport hotel venture). I remember at the time him talking about the closure quite well, the selling off of the signed bricks etc and him saying his Dad was moving the club to premises the other side of the road and that it had now opened. I lost contact with him shortly after this around early 74, as while he was a sound lad, very generous and a fervent Red, we moved in very different social and economic circles, so I never found out what then happened.

I suspect few went there, the original was not exactly popular by the time of the closure in '73, Annabels, She, Gullivers and places like that (I think Adams had an involvement in all them too) had taken over the club scene by the end of '73, it was all going disco while rock bands only wanted to play in larger venues like the Empire, Mountford Hall or the old Stadium. It wasn't until punk a couple of years later that live music (other than folk and chicken in a basket nightclub Eagles covers type bands) would profitably return to small venues.

I have no evidence, but I suspect Erics then took over the defunct "new" Cavern premises in '76 and for some reason the short lived 'new' Cavern on the opposite side then became airbrushed out of history when in the 80's the new 'old' Cavern was reconstructed in the approximate original location and side of the street.

It's a strange one.

Edit:just noticed someone else pointing out this other short lived Cavern club on the opposite side of the street here in the Cavern talk page on Wiki.

The Cavern club that exists now IS on the same site as the original. That is on the right as you walk up from North John Street. In the 1970's another club opened on the lefthand side calling itself The Cavern. The original club was not demolished due to the building of the Loop Line. The trains run much deeper. The building above was demolished and the cellars filled in with rubble. The original cellars were dug out and the arches rebuilt in the 1980's. The fake Cavern Club then called itself the Cavern Pub.
« Last Edit: March 1, 2017, 09:23:21 am by The Gulleysucker »
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #1369 on: March 1, 2017, 10:20:41 am »
Interesting & thanks for that G,makes me feel a lot less daft.
When i posted the 'opposite' post..it was after watching a documentary i had recorded & thats where i got it from.
It is a bit confusing,fuck knows how folk from outide the city would understand it.

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1370 on: March 1, 2017, 10:54:57 am »
.....and there endeth the lesson!  :sad

Cheers Gulley.  ;)

« Last Edit: March 1, 2017, 10:57:26 am by Big Red Richie »

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #1371 on: March 1, 2017, 11:42:37 am »
...Cheers Gulley.  ;)

Thanks Richie.

I dug around a little bit more and found this also confirming the first replacement Cavern club opening opposite the original location, and also my guess that it went on to finally become Erics...

27 May 1973

The Cavern Club closed and re-opened opposite in new premises at 7-15 Mathew Street.

The iconic red and yellow vertical Cavern sign was taken down from the wall above the entrance at 8 Mathew Street and was relocated opposite above the door of 7 Mathew Street. The sign remained there until 1992 when it was blown down and destroyed during a storm.

March 1976

The Cavern Club at 7-15 Mathew Street changed its name to the Revolution Club and hosted a music appreciation club called Erics.

Unfortunately, this didn’t help to improve trade and Revolution closed on 14 April 1976.

1 October 1976

The venue at 7-15 Mathew Street re-opened as Eric’s.

« Last Edit: March 1, 2017, 11:44:58 am by The Gulleysucker »

Offline kopite321

• Bi-polar skyscraper
  • Kopite
« Reply #1372 on: March 6, 2017, 01:28:24 pm »
Oriel Chambers, built in 1864,  in the city Liverpool is the worlds first building to use glass curtain walls, without the invention of curtain walls super tall and mega tall sky scrappers can not be built. The building is now a grade I listed due to this important leap in construction technology.

During the recording sessions in Los Angeles, Spector held Johnny at gunpoint, forcing him to repeatedly play a riff.

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #1373 on: March 16, 2017, 12:13:53 pm »
Snooker was first played in India,originally invented by a young British army officer experimenting on a billiard table.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #1374 on: March 17, 2017, 08:17:34 am »
After years of clambering out of numerous hire cars / vans / vehicles in petrol station forecourts to check what side the petrol tank was on - it's come to my attention that all vehicles have a little pointer or icon on the fuel gauge that show you the position of the tank..........in the words of Bob Mortimer...now he sees it!
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1375 on: March 17, 2017, 01:20:47 pm »
After years of clambering out of numerous hire cars / vans / vehicles in petrol station forecourts to check what side the petrol tank was on - it's come to my attention that all vehicles have a little pointer or icon on the fuel gauge that show you the position of the tank..........in the words of Bob Mortimer...now he sees it!
My Golf doesnt.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1376 on: March 17, 2017, 01:49:41 pm »
My Golf doesnt.

Is it quite old? Apparently this only started a while back (can't tell when) and a lot of older cars on the road don't have it.

Offline capt k

• aaaaaaaavemaaaaaaaaan!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • id rather be fishing
« Reply #1377 on: March 17, 2017, 01:53:37 pm »
Mine doesn't

My Golf doesnt.

Does it have  a "bowser" without an arrow  tho? as ive also heard ,that whilst some dont have arrows pointing to the side the cap is on, the position of the fuel hose on said bowser icon shows what side its on.?
JFT 96

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #1378 on: March 17, 2017, 02:25:08 pm »
It is a mixture of true and false. Although the more it spreads, the more manufacturers have adopted it.

http://www.snopes.com/autos/techno/icon.asp

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1379 on: March 17, 2017, 02:40:55 pm »
Who cares, if you park the wrong side the nozzle will reach over anyway! Unless you're really bad at parking that is.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #1380 on: March 17, 2017, 03:18:37 pm »
Who cares, if you park the wrong side the nozzle will reach over anyway! Unless you're really bad at parking that is.

try getting it over the top of one of these  ;D

...so this is very handy

They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1381 on: March 17, 2017, 03:48:42 pm »
try getting it over the top of one of these  ;D

Fair point  ;D
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 03:51:40 pm by LovelyCushionedHeader »
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1382 on: March 29, 2017, 10:19:08 am »
The Gini Wijnaldum song is based on some song in the charts at the moment! (yes, I am an old fucker who isn't that familiar with Modern music)

Was out in Manchester on Saturday night and it came on. It was one of those '"Fucking Hell" moments.

We still sung the 'Gini' lyrics but not too loud considering where we were :)

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Time is an illusion, Lunchtime, doubly so." F.P.
« Reply #1383 on: March 29, 2017, 08:57:16 pm »
Cheers Richie,probably i was a bit lazy/hasty there.

The CT in CT scans stands for Computerised Tomography.

And here I thought it stood for Crimson_Tank....
I watched a YouTube video and decided that Paul Konchesky looked like a player.
A dead animal is a dead animal. And a piece of meat is a piece of meat.

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1384 on: March 30, 2017, 11:46:37 am »
The two indents on a lower back are called the Dimples of Venus.

I was looking for a suitable picture to annotate but, yeah, it's basically "Arse out, girls!"

Nearest I can find that's usable!

My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1385 on: March 30, 2017, 12:21:26 pm »

I was looking for a suitable picture to annotate but, yeah, it's basically "Arse out, girls!"

Nearest I can find that's usable!

I could still use it

Offline WhoHe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1386 on: March 30, 2017, 01:13:20 pm »
I had never heard of Venus dimples until I read an article about a girl who had them surgically added/created, think it went wrong hence being in the news. Cosmetic plastic surgery must be a licence to print money, sad really for people who take the Hippocratic oath and then end up doing this needless surgery for a living.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1387 on: March 30, 2017, 01:20:23 pm »

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1388 on: April 17, 2017, 02:02:15 pm »
The astronauts of America's Mercury program were called

Alan Shepard
Virgil Gus Grissom
John Glenn
Scott Carpenter
Gordon Cooper
Walter Schirra

Their first names were used by Gerry Anderson for the Thunderbirds tv show.
He decided Walter wasn't a good name for a hero. There was also a man called Deke Slayton but he was removed from the Mercury program because of a heart problem.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #1389 on: April 17, 2017, 02:37:15 pm »
Walt Disney's ancestors came to Britain in 1066 with the Norman conquest.

The D'isigny family name altered over time, but their home town still exists in Normandy.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Groundskeeper Willie

• Loves a good Meat Flute! Silent screaming fistpumper. Don't wake the kids! He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty chip! Mattis, den svenska pedanten! Pantless arse-barer not used to withdrawal.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klappa händerna när du är riktigt glad.
« Reply #1390 on: April 18, 2017, 10:52:10 am »
Verratti got penalised for heading a ball that was virtually on the floor a few weeks ago. Can't remember who PSG were playing though.

In my playing days as a keeper, I got one of our center backs sent off for doing that. We were a goal down and needed to get the ball up the pitch. I could kick it really long, so I convinced him to kneel down and head it back to me. He did, and seeing as he was on a yellow already, the ref gave him h another and sent him off. I felt so clever afterwards.

Also, I was once cautioned for damaging the playing surface when I was laying the ball down to take a goal kick. I pressed down the grass behind the ball (maybe kicked a little divot) to get under it more easily and the referee considered it breaking the rules. I never knew that.
Love Ren & Stimpy

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #1391 on: April 18, 2017, 10:58:24 am »
Walt Disney's ancestors came to Britain in 1066 with the Norman conquest.

The D'isigny family name altered over time, but their home town still exists in Normandy.

I'm reminded of the old Scottish joke...

What's the difference between Bing and Walt?

Bing sings but Walt Disnae...

I'll get my coat.

Offline Big Red Richie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1392 on: April 18, 2017, 11:49:51 am »
I went over the Hillsborough for the memorial on Saturday.

Anyway.

Sheffield Wednesday's ground Hillsborough is in the Sheffield suburb of Owlerton, hence their nickname, The Owls.*

*Formed as an offshoot of The Wednesday Cricket Club in 1867, they went by the name of The Wednesday Football Club until changing to their current name in 1929.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheffield_Wednesday_F.C.

Offline Daniel Cabbaggio

• Roughage
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move, keep it simple = 19 & 6
    • www.redandwhitekop.com
« Reply #1393 on: April 18, 2017, 05:16:45 pm »
Thursday got its name from Thor's Day.

It was named after the Norse god of Thunder, Thor
YNWA

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1394 on: April 18, 2017, 08:02:59 pm »

Wednesday got its name from Odin, Wodin's day.  I think Friday is Frig's day.  Saturday is from Saturn, and that's where my knowledge ends on that!
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Online Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #1395 on: April 18, 2017, 08:06:11 pm »
Wednesday got its name from Odin, Wodin's day.  I think Friday is Frig's day.  Saturday is from Saturn, and that's where my knowledge ends on that!
Monday is from some c*nt.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Romeo Sensini

• Legacy Fan
  • Can climb two flights of stairs
« Reply #1396 on: April 19, 2017, 07:24:39 am »

Germanic folk adapted their day names from the Romans around the 1st/2nd century and replaced the Roman gods with Germanic gods that corresponded with them. In modern Romance languages, they still use the Roman based god names. Modern Germanic languages use the Germanic god names.

Just a few off the top of my head using English, Italian, and French as examples...

Monday/Lunedi/Lundi: Mani/Luna, Moon gods
Tuesday/Martedi/Mardi: Tyr/Mars, gods of war
Thursday/Giovedi/Jeudi: Thor/Jupiter, gods of thunder/sky
Friday/Venerdi/Vendredi: Frigg/Venus, goddesses of love

Offline Groundskeeper Willie

• Loves a good Meat Flute! Silent screaming fistpumper. Don't wake the kids! He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty chip! Mattis, den svenska pedanten! Pantless arse-barer not used to withdrawal.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klappa händerna när du är riktigt glad.
« Reply #1397 on: April 19, 2017, 08:26:16 am »
Everton is an old Eastern Europe word for deluded.
Love Ren & Stimpy

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1398 on: April 19, 2017, 09:10:48 am »

Terrible tattoos them.  Not even central.
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline J_Kopite

• Is he or isn't she? Cougar toy.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1399 on: April 19, 2017, 09:41:25 am »