Author Topic: The RAWK Gardening Thread. (All Questions Answered)  (Read 175444 times)

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The RAWK Gardening Thread. (All Questions Answered)
« Reply #440 on: October 25, 2016, 07:41:07 pm »
I tried that on a patch and it looks like it worked after a few days, very interesting Barney.

I cam accross it the summer before last. Killed everything on the drive way and the back patio. No idea how long it lasted as the bitch left me in April last year so haven't noticed if anything is growing again yet. Will check in the morning though when I'm dropping my lads iPad and playstation to her house after bringing him to school.

I used a few 2 litres bottles. Decent sized hole pierced in the lid so the salt doesn't clog it up. Filled the base of it with about half vinegar, and half washing up liquid. Fucked a load of salt in the filled the rest with water. No idea what the correct mixing levels should be but it done the job.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #441 on: October 26, 2016, 11:55:24 am »

Going to give this a go on my garden path. It's a path with small stones like the one below so there are loads of gaps for weeds to go through. Might just create a massive vat of this stuff and brush it into the gaps with an outdoor brush and see how it turns out.

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #442 on: October 30, 2016, 11:48:50 am »
Patio weeds are a pain in the arse and mine needs doing again.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #443 on: December 8, 2016, 11:29:33 pm »
I tried that on a patch and it looks like it worked after a few days, very interesting Barney.

Knew you robbed that weed killer somewhere ;D
Y.N.W.A.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #444 on: December 8, 2016, 11:44:11 pm »
Knew you robbed that weed killer somewhere ;D
I was ever so grateful when someone with a bit of knowledge visited the thread :)

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #445 on: December 8, 2016, 11:51:24 pm »
I was ever so grateful when someone with a bit of knowledge visited the thread :)

Its certainly needed.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #446 on: December 9, 2016, 01:52:53 am »
Was reading today that my planned crop of zucca trombetta for next year (see pic), also offers up a crop of what's called in Sicily, 'tenerumi' - the tendrils, stalks and leaves of this wondrous nob gag heaven version of squash. You blanch it... then oil in pan... garlic, chilli, tomatoes etc, then add it and serve with pasta.

it's almost exactly the same in case you were wondering.

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #447 on: December 10, 2016, 04:34:49 am »
One of the best threads on here :)

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #448 on: January 15, 2017, 02:21:09 pm »
So Winter is in full swing and Spring is on the horizon what plans have we all got for the Garden in 2017?

'Now is a good time to get your Bulbs down too.'
Y.N.W.A.

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #449 on: January 15, 2017, 02:40:01 pm »
So Winter is in full swing and Spring is on the horizon what plans have we all got for the Garden in 2017?

'Now is a good time to get your Bulbs down too.'

Ripping down the old outhouse and with it reducing the height of the boundary wall (yes we do have permission off the neighbours) to let in more light.  Fencng off the yard area to have some private space then decking it and having lots of pots, baskets etc full of colour and fragrance  ;D

At the front, removing all the shrubs as they're taking over much to the annoyance of the window cleaner.  Taking up the gravel, putting a membrane down, covering it with some lovely slate and again more pots and baskets so nothing gets too big and overgrown.

Can't wait  ;D

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #450 on: January 15, 2017, 02:46:22 pm »
Ripping down the old outhouse and with it reducing the height of the boundary wall (yes we do have permission off the neighbours) to let in more light.  Fencng off the yard area to have some private space then decking it and having lots of pots, baskets etc full of colour and fragrance  ;D

At the front, removing all the shrubs as they're taking over much to the annoyance of the window cleaner.  Taking up the gravel, putting a membrane down, covering it with some lovely slate and again more pots and baskets so nothing gets too big and overgrown.

Can't wait  ;D

Whao!! Busy busy, before and after pics are a must.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #451 on: January 15, 2017, 03:04:54 pm »
Whao!! Busy busy, before and after pics are a must.

It sounds like it but the whole area is only about 18sq mtrs  ;D 

I'll be taking pics whether I can suss out how to get them on here is another thing  8)

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #452 on: January 15, 2017, 03:15:19 pm »
It sounds like it but the whole area is only about 18sq mtrs  ;D 

I'll be taking pics whether I can suss out how to get them on here is another thing  8)

;D hahaaaaa its quite easy even i can do it.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #453 on: January 15, 2017, 03:54:22 pm »
;D hahaaaaa its quite easy even i can do it.

I'll take your word for it mate and get the hubby to do it for me  ;D

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #454 on: February 3, 2017, 06:12:38 pm »
Some rain these last couple of days, garden is a swamp   :duh
Y.N.W.A.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #455 on: February 3, 2017, 07:39:17 pm »
Some rain these last couple of days, garden is a swamp   :duh

A Paddy field?

:P

;D
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #456 on: February 3, 2017, 09:09:53 pm »
A Paddy field?

:P

;D

Indeed, surprised you knew what that was.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline yellowquarry

• Kemlynite
« Reply #457 on: February 4, 2017, 05:59:15 pm »
Wondered if anyone has any good ideas for a massive problem.  The house is a 4 storey terrace ,the house next door on one side is 2 storey.  Vast quantities
of ivy have grown up the wall in the neighbours garden and is creeping  up our walls. It even managed to come in through a bedroom window.  We have pulled down all we can reach but its root is in next doors garden.  We have asked if they could try and get rid of it but think they are unlikely to do anything.What would you do next?

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #458 on: February 4, 2017, 06:12:13 pm »
Wondered if anyone has any good ideas for a massive problem.  The house is a 4 storey terrace ,the house next door on one side is 2 storey.  Vast quantities
of ivy have grown up the wall in the neighbours garden and is creeping  up our walls. It even managed to come in through a bedroom window.  We have pulled down all we can reach but its root is in next doors garden.  We have asked if they could try and get rid of it but think they are unlikely to do anything.What would you do next?

Ivy needs sorting at the sourse, its grows like fuck too. You need to stop it at the sourse.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #459 on: February 5, 2017, 10:49:54 am »
Wondered if anyone has any good ideas for a massive problem. 
Ivy doesn't like bleach, keep spraying it, as frequent as you can, but be careful it doesn't go all over your clothes.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #460 on: February 5, 2017, 06:39:32 pm »
Ivy doesn't like bleach, keep spraying it, as frequent as you can, but be careful it doesn't go all over your clothes.

Bleach really, but it does need cutting down from the sourse or it will keep growing.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #461 on: February 5, 2017, 10:01:26 pm »
Was looking to open up a Nursey again here in Dublin but fuk me the prices of renting places is nuts!!! Had a small business in the00's but te fall of The Celtic Tiger put paid to that. My dream ives on.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #462 on: February 12, 2017, 03:40:00 pm »
Weather is shite today was hoping to get some bulbs down and tidy  the garden up. Next week it is.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #463 on: February 12, 2017, 03:54:53 pm »
Tie a heavy shovel or spade to a long rope and run it up and down the wall behind the ivy.

Ivy is a nuisance and rats love it....live in it and use it as a ladder. The only one's we recommend are a nice Parthenocissus or Hydranga..or if you have the patience,...a Wisteria, but you need patience with those.
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #464 on: February 12, 2017, 04:08:56 pm »
Tie a heavy shovel or spade to a long rope and run it up and down the wall behind the ivy.

Ivy is a nuisance and rats love it....live in it and use it as a ladder. The only one's we recommend are a nice Parthenocissus or Hydranga..or if you have the patience,...a Wisteria, but you need patience with those.

Wisteria is beautiful but care you do get one that flowrrs, it can take up to 12 years for a plant to flower if its not from a flowering plant.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #465 on: February 12, 2017, 04:24:45 pm »
Wisteria is beautiful but care you do get one that flowrrs, it can take up to 12 years for a plant to flower if its not from a flowering plant.
It is nice...but the only climber I like is a Cytisus...preferably matched with an Aloysia at the base...both are unusual and have nice scents too.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #466 on: February 12, 2017, 04:40:37 pm »
It is nice...but the only climber I like is a Cytisus...preferably matched with an Aloysia at the base...both are unusual and have nice scents too.

Yep, try the https://www.google.ie/search?q=passion+flower&biw=1366&bih=662&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwjJgvbg_4rSAhVFJcAKHUNdA6sQiR4IgwE A stunning climber.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #467 on: February 12, 2017, 04:52:15 pm »
Yep, try the https://www.google.ie/search?q=passion+flower&biw=1366&bih=662&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwjJgvbg_4rSAhVFJcAKHUNdA6sQiR4IgwE A stunning climber.
Too common. If I was pushed to add a climber it would the Clematis Armandi. Nice veined leaves, flowers like apple blossom, white or pale pink, scented too. Another candidate would be an Abutilon....probably megapotamicum.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #468 on: February 12, 2017, 05:17:47 pm »
Too common. If I was pushed to add a climber it would the Clematis Armandi. Nice veined leaves, flowers like apple blossom, white or pale pink, scented too. Another candidate would be an Abutilon....probably megapotamicum.

All good but the Passion is a fav of mine.

Y.N.W.A.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #469 on: February 12, 2017, 05:53:03 pm »
All good but the Passion is a fav of mine.
Coz you're Irish in  Eire and probably a Catholic. ;D

My nan loved that Passiflora, for the reason above. ;D

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #470 on: February 12, 2017, 06:20:10 pm »
Coz you're Irish in  Eire and probably a Catholic. ;D

My nan loved that Passiflora, for the reason above. ;D

100% Irish BUT I DO NOT DO THAT MARLARKY, LOST MY IMIGANIONARY FRIEND WHN I WAS 5 ;d
Y.N.W.A.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #471 on: February 12, 2017, 06:38:17 pm »
100% Irish BUT I DO NOT DO THAT MARLARKY, LOST MY IMIGANIONARY FRIEND WHN I WAS 5 ;d
;D

You're lucky, Rob..I was still going to church in my teens...had to keep me nan and granddad happy.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #472 on: February 12, 2017, 06:39:35 pm »
;D

You're lucky, Rob..I was still going to church in my teens...had to keep me nan and granddad happy.

My mothers side where God Squad not her though, my dads lot are lets say not.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #473 on: March 6, 2017, 08:10:29 pm »
It's early March and I'm basically doing what I should have done in September. I am literally 4 1/2 years behind.

In my August head, by now I would have completed 1)

laid out the new plans for the garden
2. Levelled the garden
3. Dug and poured foundations for greenhouse/shed/studio 'complex'. (tho I pretty much knew this wasn't going to happen. Plus I'm getting on with the wife and you have to time these things.)
4. Sowed the £30 worth of tulip bulbs I bought.
5. Trimmed the tops off trees that I eventually want removing I think. Think a hedge would be better. Better still a short but stout brick wall (£$). I hate high fencing between gardens. Don't like any erection of 'Keep Out' between gardens. (Insert erection gag/reference.)
6. Made some bird boxes with the kids.
7... list is endless.
8. Relocate Strawberries, raspberries etc
9. Chopped wood.
10. Built pizza oven and foundations for outdoor kitchen
11. Laid electricity and plumbing

All I've done since September is chopped down raspberry canes. SIGH. This year Rodney... THIS year.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #474 on: March 9, 2017, 08:28:10 pm »
So I'm now cramming in a quick veg/flower seed package for this year... what a glorious sunny day it was. A quick visit to a garden centre for some things... so expensive.

So thought I'd give a quick plug to http://www.seedaholic.com - a great place to find a large variety of cheaper, good quality seeds. For instance... £3.99 for 1000 carrot seeds. I don't want a 1000 seeds. I don't want hundreds of basil seeds either etc. Can I have 150 for a quid say? Cheers. They come in little sachets, plus a very handy double page colour print out with all the info you need stapled to it. They don't have my zucchetta tromboncino squash seeds tho. Bah.

p.s. when I get a bit more sorted, I can send on some spare seeds to people. No use them hanging around.
« Last Edit: March 9, 2017, 08:33:15 pm by Filler. »

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #475 on: March 9, 2017, 11:43:01 pm »
Jesus Filler you looking for Brownie points ;D
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Willi

• ave a sensa yuma? It appears e will :) Needs an 'h' in 'Cef', clearly! Appy retirement, fella :)
  • Kopite
« Reply #476 on: March 14, 2017, 06:12:19 pm »
Watch out where the Huskies go and don't you eat that yellow snow.
Well I didn't eat the yellow snow but there are yellow patches of grass all over the place, indeed also last year while the grass was growing.
Can someone help with this problem?
Thought I'd ask here before going to the dog thread.
Thanks.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #477 on: March 28, 2017, 12:29:22 am »
Watch out where the Huskies go and don't you eat that yellow snow.
Well I didn't eat the yellow snow but there are yellow patches of grass all over the place, indeed also last year while the grass was growing.
Can someone help with this problem?
Thought I'd ask here before going to the dog thread.
Thanks.

Yep dog piss turns grass yellow.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #478 on: March 28, 2017, 07:32:40 pm »
Garden all done and dusted now, Shrubs/Bulbs/Perenninals/Bedding all replanted, grass cut, shed painted, fencing done and grass cut. Now come on Nature do your thing.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #479 on: March 30, 2017, 11:30:18 pm »
Garden all done and dusted now, Shrubs/Bulbs/Perenninals/Bedding all replanted, grass cut, shed painted, fencing done and grass cut. Now come on Nature do your thing.
Nick & I would like a photo of all that mate, we've evidence of your previous messy outdoor endeavours :)