Author Topic: Jermaine Pennant  (Read 72868 times)

Offline Daranoza

• Legacy Fan
  • Once more unto the breach, dear friends.
Re: Jermaine Pennant
« Reply #80 on: October 21, 2008, 08:44:02 pm »
Good and bad, really, is old Jermaine. I never wanted us to sign him but he managed to keep himself together a whole lot better than the other 'risky player' did, which was a bonus. Having said that I still see him as a Uefa Cup team player and nothing more and I find myself wondering why we have him at all.
Blank.

Offline smartyboy80

• Anny Roader
« Reply #81 on: October 21, 2008, 08:58:03 pm »
If Pennant comes on to a game and gains confidence, we would have 2 natural wingers taking there man on and crossing for torres and A N other
"If you pray enough for things, I am proof that they can happen. I feel like a kid on Christmas day now, every day. It's something I have wanted for a long time and I am as happy as anyone to be here. It is great to be back at my first love" - Robbie Fowler..

Offline Daranoza

• Legacy Fan
  • Once more unto the breach, dear friends.
« Reply #82 on: October 21, 2008, 08:59:51 pm »
If Pennant comes on to a game and gains confidence, we would have 2 natural wingers taking there man on and crossing for torres and A N other

Sadly, there are many other wingers I would rather see than Pennant. Bloody money.
Blank.

Offline smartyboy80

• Anny Roader
« Reply #83 on: October 21, 2008, 09:03:02 pm »
Yeah me to, but Pennant on his day can be a very tricky player..
"If you pray enough for things, I am proof that they can happen. I feel like a kid on Christmas day now, every day. It's something I have wanted for a long time and I am as happy as anyone to be here. It is great to be back at my first love" - Robbie Fowler..

Offline cob

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #84 on: October 21, 2008, 09:05:01 pm »

And then we can use Keans height and ability to jump.......!! ha ha ha
TRADE COUNT OF 500 + WITH LOADS OF REFERENCES IF REQUIRED

Offline LFCfan4Life

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: October 22, 2008, 12:31:20 am »
And then we can use Keans height

make no difference if they are tall or not because Luis was hardly huge and he got his fair share of headers. its about attacking the ball or being in the right position.
Two bulls, one old and one young, standing at the top of a field watching a herd of cows. The young one says, "hey let's run down and fuck one of them", and the older one says, "patience, let's walk down and fuck them all".

JUSTICE 4 THE 96.

Offline jim.

• Legacy Fan
  • "Beware the beast man, for he is the Devil's pawn"
« Reply #86 on: October 22, 2008, 01:45:15 am »
He will play on Sunday for sure.

Always does well against Chelsea and with Torres out (maybe) more of a chance.

I really like him and don't understand the stick he get's. He was on a great run before he broke his leg.

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: October 22, 2008, 01:48:50 am »
No chance he'll start on Sunday. He offers nothing defensively and rightly and wrongly, Benitez enters games against Arsenal, Utd and Chelsea with a cautious approach. Kuyt will be back on the right and Gerrard will play off Keane or Torres, not both.

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #88 on: October 22, 2008, 02:02:35 am »
Never understood the shit that Pennant got, particularly on RAWK. Maybe his reputation proceeded him, or maybe he has been as shit as people say he has. When he arrived, everybody thought he;d be shit, gone by the start of next season. He ended up doing pretty well, so you'd think people would at least say, 'okay, he's performed better than I thought he would.' But most people seem to search for the negatives (OMG, he didn't stop to have a chat while withdrawing money. What an ungrateful wanker!!!) while ignoring the positives.

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: October 22, 2008, 03:01:04 am »
No chance he'll start on Sunday. He offers nothing defensively and rightly and wrongly, Benitez enters games against Arsenal, Utd and Chelsea with a cautious approach. Kuyt will be back on the right and Gerrard will play off Keane or Torres, not both.

so what happened to that 'cautious approach' against a certain manc team this season already. wasnt it two upfront and not kuyt on the right.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: October 22, 2008, 03:06:54 am »
so what happened to that 'cautious approach' against a certain manc team this season already. wasnt it two upfront and not kuyt on the right.

Not that I have a problem with playing defensively, but we can't really play one up front with Torres and Gerrard injured.

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: October 22, 2008, 03:08:32 am »

It was kind of forced upon Rafa with the injuries of Gerrard and Torres was it not? Had they both been fit, we may have seen Keane up alongside Fernando, but I'm guessing we would have seen Gerrard off Torres instead personally.

Besides, Pennant isn't an attacking necessity for us. He's only had one appearance this season and we've done alright without him. He's not exactly Kaka or Messi. He'll be lucky to get a place on the bench.

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks Shanks for Tosh and Kev.
« Reply #92 on: November 13, 2008, 12:38:36 am »
So where was he tonight?

Injured?

Out of favour?

If the latter, looks like Stoke in January then.

Offline -Sad Fuck-

• ... is rather queer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tiny dancer
« Reply #93 on: November 13, 2008, 12:46:29 am »
Happy everytime I see Stoke win, looks more and more likely they'll stay up, and JP can naff off.
hi

Offline lawrie

• Legacy Fan
  • Done the treble
« Reply #94 on: November 13, 2008, 12:51:42 am »
I dont agree at all with the first choice replacements to our starting 11 being played in the Carling Cup, apart from those who need the games due to injury i.e. Degen, Torres. Pennant should not have played and im glad he didnt.

I would much rather see the likes of Insua, Kelly, Darby, El zahr, Nemeth etc. played, as its the only way to get them some valuable match experience against decent opposition

Also, it would avoid a situation where the likes of Dossena, Hyppia and Agger could not be arsed! JP i think would have done the same 'i cant be arsed' impression

Pennant has said on many occassions that he wants to stay and fight for his place at Liverpool. If we believe him then it follows he would have put a lot of effort into tonights game (as he did for the reserves last season) Also if you think he is back up to the first team surely he also needs games for match fitness just as much as the kids do for experience?

Offline LiverpoolRedRoseFan38

• In search of an empty room to start a fight...
  • Kopite
« Reply #95 on: November 13, 2008, 12:52:19 am »
Always tried to back pennant but have to admit his career is over at liverpool .
My love is for Liverpool football club but also Lancashire county cricket club , the two greatest sports teams and clubs in the world .

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks Shanks for Tosh and Kev.
« Reply #96 on: November 13, 2008, 12:53:22 am »
I dont agree at all with the first choice replacements to our starting 11 being played in the Carling Cup, apart from those who need the games due to injury i.e. Degen, Torres. Pennant should not have played and im glad he didnt.

I would much rather see the likes of Insua, Kelly, Darby, El zahr, Nemeth etc. played, as its the only way to get them some valuable match experience against decent opposition

Also, it would avoid a situation where the likes of Dossena, Hyppia and Agger could not be arsed! JP i think would have done the same 'i cant be arsed' impression
Point is kh, we'll never know now.

The rights and wrongs of whether to play squad members or the ressies isn't what I was getting at, though I agree that the ressies would certainly have put up more of a fight.

My point is that Pennant, unless he's injured, hasn't even got a sniff of a game here despite being a squad member.

His attitude must stink at training if he's not even in contention for a game like this.

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: November 13, 2008, 12:54:16 am »

I kind of agree but then again, what other chance is he going to get to play ?

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #98 on: November 13, 2008, 01:11:43 am »
Why?

Him not handing in a transfer request and Rafa not selling him

Just why?

The weird thing is he's been ok(ish) the last year or so and improving
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #99 on: November 13, 2008, 01:44:08 am »
His attitude must stink at training if he's not even in contention for a game like this.

I seem to remember reading that according to Alonso, Pennant had replaced Didi as the worst trainer on the team. I was surprised he wasn't a part of the squad tonight. I think he'll be off in January to trim the wage bill and bring in funds.

Online robbohuyton

• Main Stander
  • Any spares lad?
« Reply #100 on: November 13, 2008, 01:56:24 am »
I've seen that, apparently he doesn't fasten his laces for training!

Offline macca888

• Macca the Militant Illiterate Gnok. Chief Football Hack aka macca888. Jacqui Smith and Anne Widdecombe, in any order. Or together. He's not fussy. Overdue with Crosby Nick. Recently elevated to status Sir Precious C*nt.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: November 13, 2008, 02:01:54 am »
I've seen that, apparently he doesn't can't fasten his laces for training!
Really?    :o
Macca resplendent!
A colossus bestriding the
moral high ground as ever.

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #102 on: November 13, 2008, 02:11:17 am »
You gotta be pissed off if you were him, Thing is we havent heard from him or Rafa, Is he still alive?

Offline fowlerisgod96

• Legacy Fan
  • The Monster Masch
« Reply #103 on: November 13, 2008, 02:12:32 am »
I think the main problem with Pennant is off the pitch, things we know very little about.

I was stunned he wasnt involved at all tonight though, made no sense really. Granted Rafa wants to give a few other players a go and this was an opportunity, but if he wants a buyer for Pennant surely this was a better stage than any to let him show off his stuff? He was MOTM against Crewe after all. And I dont think JP would have been nearly as bad as most others. Starts against Wigan in the league, on the bench against Chelsea but not good enough for a bench spot in the Carling Cup? I dont really get it. I'm not that bothered, cos he clearly isnt good enough and Rafa wants rid.
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.

Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.

It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us."

Offline bazjones

• Kopite
  • LFCmelbourne.com.au
« Reply #104 on: November 13, 2008, 02:31:00 am »
I've seen that, apparently he doesn't fasten his laces for training!

Not having that at all. Where are the pics of this. Or is this just another uneccessary dig at one of OUR players??

Online robbohuyton

• Main Stander
  • Any spares lad?
« Reply #105 on: November 13, 2008, 02:35:59 am »
No Alonso said it on the telly lad. I hate this OUR players shite as well, just because he plays for us, he can still be a bell-end you know!

Offline fowlerisgod96

• Legacy Fan
  • The Monster Masch
« Reply #106 on: November 13, 2008, 02:39:03 am »
Pennant definitely is a bellend.
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.

Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.

It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us."

Offline bazjones

• Kopite
  • LFCmelbourne.com.au
« Reply #107 on: November 13, 2008, 02:53:32 am »
No Alonso said it on the telly lad. I hate this OUR players shite as well, just because he plays for us, he can still be a bell-end you know!

Yeh i know that and i agree but just cant see Rafa allowing anyone to train without laces done up.

doesnt look loose to me from last week

Online robbohuyton

• Main Stander
  • Any spares lad?
« Reply #108 on: November 13, 2008, 02:57:32 am »
Can't believe you searched for pics! haha. I can just see the briefing in the newspaper office, 'yeah get Torres in action, a few Gerrard, a few Carragher, oh...and get some close-ups of Pennant's boots, just in case Alonso says on telly that he doesn't fasten his laces...'.

Offline a former tribune of the plebs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: November 13, 2008, 03:04:45 am »
I have a wierd feeling he'll start on Saturday now.

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #110 on: November 13, 2008, 03:10:28 am »
I have a wierd feeling he'll start on Saturday now.

Fuck I hope not.

I remember how shit he was at the reebok in his debut season. Squandering the first of his 3 shots on goal for the season. He's actually - somehow - managed to regress since then. The only way I'd want him to be playing on Saturday is if we'd some how managed to negotiate a sale to Bolton outside of the transfer window.
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline dmn

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: November 13, 2008, 03:11:32 am »
The weird thing is he's been ok(ish) the last year or so and improving
I'm confused. Isn't this thread about Pennant?

Offline red annie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #112 on: November 13, 2008, 08:15:32 am »
Heard a rumour from a decentish source that he is definitely on his way in January. Deal all but done.

Just a rumour but ??

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: November 13, 2008, 09:05:47 am »
Heard a rumour from a decentish source that he is definitely on his way in January. Deal all but done.

Just a rumour but ??

What he is he going to a new club with no name?

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: November 13, 2008, 09:10:36 am »
I kind of hope he leaves not because he's a bad player but because he can be playing week in week out elsewhere. I fee a bit sorry for him, alot of people dont even know the situation (myself included) yet so many people go by what certain people have said and he is rather hated among our fans, its a bit harsh.

The main reason i like him is he always tries, its rare you see him not bothered about the game/ team. He gets slated for things like not tracking back yet the same people claim at other times that he does track back but is a bad tackler, he cant really win. He had a very good spell where rafa was tipping him to break into the england team and alot of other people were too and that all seems to have been brushed under the carpet asif it never ever happened and all these claims of he has shown absolutely nothing since he joined, and people have even taken away from him the motm from our team in the CL final claiming he did nothing in that game.

I think its fair enough some people dont think he's good enough but some people do take it a little too far and act asif he does nothing on the field. Even good performances are just shot down to a level of it was average whereas with another player it would be considered better. People always tend to do it and its not just pennant, it happens with all fans and it is quite silly, if its a player they like a performance can be considered impressive but an identical performance from a player they like less isnt as impressive somehow just because of who it is.

When he had a run in the side i feel he did very well, the spell at the beginning of last season after the CL final, where he was being tipped for the england squad and even playing on the left hand side in games and still causing opposition all sorts of problems. Even rafa was praising him and you dont get that from doing nothing, we all know rafa isnt one to hand out praise in bundles and its hard to get from him because his expectation levels are at a high standard, so how did pennant manage to get praise ? From the way some people talk about him you would think he payed rafa to say it or something. He isnt all bad, he has good performances when he gets a run of games, its just sad to see any good performances belittled by certain fans because they seem to dislike a player, the abuse gets too much at times, its fair enough we are fans we are entitled to criticise but there is a difference.

Offline t0m

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • I hate Man u
« Reply #115 on: November 13, 2008, 09:16:01 am »
one word ,...SELL
Follow me on twitter STAR_LFC

Offline The Jackal

• GENESIS 1:1
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Form is temporary, class is permanent...
« Reply #116 on: November 13, 2008, 12:09:04 pm »
I kind of hope he leaves not because he's a bad player but because he can be playing week in week out elsewhere. I fee a bit sorry for him, alot of people dont even know the situation (myself included) yet so many people go by what certain people have said and he is rather hated among our fans, its a bit harsh.

The main reason i like him is he always tries, its rare you see him not bothered about the game/ team. He gets slated for things like not tracking back yet the same people claim at other times that he does track back but is a bad tackler, he cant really win. He had a very good spell where rafa was tipping him to break into the england team and alot of other people were too and that all seems to have been brushed under the carpet asif it never ever happened and all these claims of he has shown absolutely nothing since he joined, and people have even taken away from him the motm from our team in the CL final claiming he did nothing in that game.

I think its fair enough some people dont think he's good enough but some people do take it a little too far and act asif he does nothing on the field. Even good performances are just shot down to a level of it was average whereas with another player it would be considered better. People always tend to do it and its not just pennant, it happens with all fans and it is quite silly, if its a player they like a performance can be considered impressive but an identical performance from a player they like less isnt as impressive somehow just because of who it is.

When he had a run in the side i feel he did very well, the spell at the beginning of last season after the CL final, where he was being tipped for the england squad and even playing on the left hand side in games and still causing opposition all sorts of problems. Even rafa was praising him and you dont get that from doing nothing, we all know rafa isnt one to hand out praise in bundles and its hard to get from him because his expectation levels are at a high standard, so how did pennant manage to get praise ? From the way some people talk about him you would think he payed rafa to say it or something. He isnt all bad, he has good performances when he gets a run of games, its just sad to see any good performances belittled by certain fans because they seem to dislike a player, the abuse gets too much at times, its fair enough we are fans we are entitled to criticise but there is a difference.

most sensible post I've read in this thread..
Blanco y en botella. Es leche, no?

Offline Stan.

• drinks warm piss, and come back to him when Owen actually joins utd. Until then leeeeeave Micky aloooone!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: November 13, 2008, 12:23:28 pm »

You talk a lot of sense, and a number of people will do well to 'step away' from the forums and actually form an opinion from watching these guys in action.

I think one of the key issues is the line in bold.  I don't mind a bit of rotation to keep key players fresh, but I think the likes of Pennant, Cisse, Bellamy etc have all suffered here from a severe lack of a decent run of games, as all three of them (and others) have shown what they can do when they're regularly selected in a side.  Not saying they were the right players for us, or even good enough - but the fact remains their worse football has been during their time here.

In my opinion the only type of players who benefit from something along the lines of one game every 4 or 5, are promising youngsters who gain from the experience.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 12:27:05 pm by dbphase »
Someday soon everyone will know the truth.  96 never forgotten.

Offline all_funkt_up

• ....the valentino of the boards... really knows how to treat a lady.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget. Never Buy the Sun.
    • The Daily Punt
« Reply #118 on: November 13, 2008, 12:32:38 pm »
I think you can lump Pennant together with a few other English wingers. Players such as JP, Lennon et al have some good games but many bad. They skin their man, twist them inside out and then deliver an awful bloody cross having done all the hard work. One week they're world beaters, the next they couldnt beat an egg.

If you're after consistancy at a high level, then JP is not your man I'm afraid. I thought he had a good 2007 (leading up to Athens) and really thought he'd make a go of it in the first team. Alas he didnt, why I dont know. All that matters now is that we get the best possible price for him and best of luck at your new club lad.
Roy. Shut up. Just shut up.

Betting Banter and Stuff

http://thedailypunt.com/forum/

"Zlatan was released by Ajax because of his fucking attitude. Released by Juve cos just not good enough to play alongside Trezeguet.
He won't score or make an assist at

Offline kopk1w1

• Loved the freedom, hated the responsibility.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: November 13, 2008, 12:33:44 pm »
There is a lot of hatred and negativity that run through threads like this with players that people take a dislike to as soon as they join and then revel in these players performances when they are not 100%.

Think Pennant should of played last night, and El Zar moved into the centre in place of Plessis or Ngog, but Pennant gets some of a good majority on here, even though he didn't play.

If he goes, he will get best wishes from me for the future, and I really hope he does well.
If not and these fuckin rumours from nameless bags of bottleless shit with nothing better to do are just that, then he will get my support.
"Hands up who knows what way we're kicking ?"

(Rafa Benitez – Half time.
Ataturk Stadium. Istanbul.
25th May 2005)