Author Topic: The Teachers' Thread  (Read 180230 times)

Offline RigBon1892

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
Re: The Teachers' Thread
« Reply #120 on: February 9, 2009, 09:28:31 pm »
Were you at this school before are are you just starting? If just starting you obviously won't be teaching, if you were there before I hate to say it but you really should have gotten in contact with your mentors/class teachers etc.
What is it you're training to teach again?

We managed to get the long term planning so we know the topic area but they only plan the week before and getting any info from them is like trying to get blood from a stone. I think if Id been in today it wouldnt have been so bad cos that still would have given me tomorrow til thurs to do 60% of timetable, but its not even gonna be that this week cos I missed today and Fridays a write off cos you just dont get teaching time at all, and I aint takin the kids' golden time off them again, not just before half term

At the same time theres three of us in this school and my friend shares the same view as me...I just think this mess has knocked us all out...

Ah well...roll on half term...
I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager.

"Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone
YNWA Rafa.

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #121 on: February 9, 2009, 09:49:35 pm »
make a rough plan then, have a few worksheets and resources up your sleeve, and hope you get away with it.
I have some shared classes and the odd time whoever has had them before me hasn't passed on all the info on what they've done so I've had to wing it a little.
It becomes easier over time.
I assume by 'golden time' you're primary?

Offline waittillmay

• Nicks sweets off kids.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: February 9, 2009, 09:53:55 pm »
I know yous have to learn but i fucking hate student teachers.
My son has them every other fucking day and they really dont have a clue

Offline RigBon1892

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #123 on: February 9, 2009, 09:54:58 pm »
Yeah I have a few worksheets and that sorted for numeracy, just need to print and photocopy them, it could be that she doesnt ask me to teach, and just to observe and support

Literacy is where the problem lies...
I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager.

YNWA Rafa.

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #124 on: February 9, 2009, 09:56:42 pm »
What shite! How else does anyone do anything if they're not learning how to do it? Do you hate learner drivers? People who are on their first day at a job? I've seen student teachers who are far better and more inventive than teachers who've been doing it for 30 years...

Offline waittillmay

• Nicks sweets off kids.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: February 9, 2009, 10:03:33 pm »
well the ones my son keeps getting lumped with arent good. He's hardly doing any work in school, reading books dont get changed, and he doesnt know their names from day to day there are so many of them.

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #126 on: February 9, 2009, 10:08:31 pm »
well the ones my son keeps getting lumped with arent good. He's hardly doing any work in school, reading books dont get changed, and he doesnt know their names from day to day there are so many of them.

Are you sure he's not getting supply teachers rather than students?
As there wouldn't be 'so many that he doesn't know their name" if they were simply students - he would get 2 or 3 at the most a year.

Yeah I have a few worksheets and that sorted for numeracy, just need to print and photocopy them, it could be that she doesnt ask me to teach, and just to observe and support

Literacy is where the problem lies...

Do you not have a timetable of what you teach/team teach/observe?
How long have you not been there for? This may sound cold but could you have no popped in for half an hour at lunch today to get up to speed?

Offline RigBon1892

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #127 on: February 9, 2009, 10:10:45 pm »
What shite! How else does anyone do anything if they're not learning how to do it? Do you hate learner drivers? People who are on their first day at a job? I've seen student teachers who are far better and more inventive than teachers who've been doing it for 30 years...
Yeah on my first placement my teacher was really impressed with some of the resources I came up with in my final week, some that she'd never seen before

Still a bit worried about this week but theres gotta be some leniency considering we had to miss today too, in fact Ive more excuse than my other two friends as they got an earlier flight back than me, and had to go less distance from where they landed as well...

Ill do PE tomorrow afternoon if she lets me do my own thing rather than what theyve planned, course if theyre going swimming that knocks THAT out too, but Ill definitely be able to start afresh for my final week after half term is over...

YNWA Rafa.

Offline waittillmay

• Nicks sweets off kids.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: February 9, 2009, 10:12:56 pm »
He has a supply teacher twice a week cos his class is job share and half of that is on long term sick, over 2 years now.
But there are always loads of students in too, i have a mate who works as classroom assistant in the school and she said it is particularly bad for having loads of students in, as well as loads of supply.
Before i sent him there, i'd heard nothing but good reports, good words from parents etc etc but since he started there a few years ago i'm not at all happy.
But then do you move a 6 year old from a school he likes away from all his friends? dunno what to do about it.

have been in and had meeting with deputy heads and various class teachers and get the same response, nothing they can do about it. not fucking good enough

Offline RigBon1892

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #129 on: February 9, 2009, 10:13:09 pm »
Are you sure he's not getting supply teachers rather than students?
As there wouldn't be 'so many that he doesn't know their name" if they were simply students - he would get 2 or 3 at the most a year.

Do you not have a timetable of what you teach/team teach/observe?
How long have you not been there for? This may sound cold but could you have no popped in for half an hour at lunch today to get up to speed?

Ive not been in that school since the end of November, besides, literacy and numeracy is over by lunch and the teacher's got PPA in the afternoon.

Besides, they wouldnt have let me in the staffroom...(they didnt let us in there at lunchtime for some reason)

YNWA Rafa.

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #130 on: February 9, 2009, 10:19:11 pm »
But then do you move a 6 year old from a school he likes away from all his friends? dunno what to do about it.

Tough one, think i remember you had a thread about it actually, i take it things haven't improved since then then?

i have a mate who works as classroom assistant in the school and she said it is particularly bad for having loads of students in, as well as loads of supply.

The supply thing is pretty bad - not in that supply teachers are bad (I was one for two years) but that it seems to be a thing happening more and more - some teachers taking this piss with their "sick"; one school i worked at the teacher i covered for for a few weeks would work a week then take 6 months off sick (although to be fair, I refused to go back to that school as I think some prisons would be nicer places to be!!).

Ive not been in that school since the end of November, besides, literacy and numeracy is over by lunch and the teacher's got PPA in the afternoon.

Is that not what PPA is for tho? I'd hope they weren't using it for the first P anyway :wave

Oh well, if you're only there til the week after half term i wouldn't worry too much about it - will you be moving onto another school after that?
I assume you've had all your observations etc (as in the ones that count to your uni) and are basically just waiting to be signed as a pass...?

Offline RigBon1892

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #131 on: February 9, 2009, 10:26:15 pm »
Tough one, think i remember you had a thread about it actually, i take it things haven't improved since then then?

The supply thing is pretty bad - not in that supply teachers are bad (I was one for two years) but that it seems to be a thing happening more and more - some teachers taking this piss with their "sick"; one school i worked at the teacher i covered for for a few weeks would work a week then take 6 months off sick (although to be fair, I refused to go back to that school as I think some prisons would be nicer places to be!!).

Is that not what PPA is for tho? I'd hope they weren't using it for the first P anyway :wave

Oh well, if you're only there til the week after half term i wouldn't worry too much about it - will you be moving onto another school after that?
I assume you've had all your observations etc (as in the ones that count to your uni) and are basically just waiting to be signed as a pass...?

i think Im due one more uni observation the week after half term, thank god it isnt this week as the tutors an absolute witch and probably wouldnt even accept a cancelled flight as an excuse for missing school today...

YNWA Rafa.

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #132 on: February 9, 2009, 10:29:36 pm »
i think Im due one more uni observation the week after half term, thank god it isnt this week as the tutors an absolute witch and probably wouldnt even accept a cancelled flight as an excuse for missing school today...

Wasn't the reason you were in France to do with uni tho?

As sympathetic as I am, part of me thinks you maybe could have been more pro-active today - but you're only a student teacher so i really wouldn't worry yourself too much about it all :wave

Offline RigBon1892

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #133 on: February 9, 2009, 10:36:47 pm »
Wasn't the reason you were in France to do with uni tho?

As sympathetic as I am, part of me thinks you maybe could have been more pro-active today - but you're only a student teacher so i really wouldn't worry yourself too much about it all :wave

Yeah I had a uni tutor observation there too, but passed it, though my teacher for some bizarre reason gave me a really negative report, this was after me asking her on the second last day could I have a meeting with her on the Friday to get everything signed off (attendance, CRF, mentoring sheets etc), and she said that was alright, doesnt come in on the Friday morning, and then fuckin shunts me into a different class for the afternoon...was so pissed off about that

I only got into Liverpool airport at midnight last night, I was barely fit to move at lunchtime today to go in...

YNWA Rafa.

Offline hooded claw

• Foiled by the Anthill Mob
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #134 on: October 11, 2009, 09:41:00 pm »
4-day Inspection starts tomorrow. Niiiiiiiice.

Online rowan_d

• boat. Seņor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #135 on: October 11, 2009, 09:44:34 pm »

Offline RigBon1892

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #136 on: October 11, 2009, 09:52:09 pm »
Massive observation on Tuesday.

Problem is, the only reason I have it is cos I fucked up the uni observation big time due to nerves.

YNWA Rafa.

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #137 on: October 12, 2009, 12:44:28 pm »
Two weeks til half term!!!

Offline barnseysbarmyarmy

• Kopite
  • You know nothing John Snow (except current affairs
« Reply #138 on: October 12, 2009, 02:04:38 pm »
9 school days, not that I'm counting!

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #139 on: October 12, 2009, 07:03:55 pm »
7 for me, well, teaching days. Am on a course on Friday and next Friday is inset

Offline RigBon1892

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #140 on: October 13, 2009, 08:04:39 pm »
Massive observation on Tuesday.

Problem is, the only reason I have it is cos I fucked up the uni observation big time due to nerves.

Fuck it. I just don't know anymore. :(

YNWA Rafa.

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #141 on: October 13, 2009, 08:11:51 pm »
9 school days, not that I'm counting!

You teachers get more holidays than Judith Charmers! FFS.

;)
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #142 on: October 13, 2009, 08:53:22 pm »
Fuck it. I just don't know anymore. :(

Fucked it up again?

Offline RigBon1892

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #143 on: October 13, 2009, 08:55:45 pm »
Fucked it up again?

I'll know by tomorrow I think.

But to be honest I'm really not sure it's for me anymore.

Children caught me crying today, embarrassing.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 08:57:27 pm by jeffiner1892 »

YNWA Rafa.

Offline Skinny

• was born in a bathtub, and grew so incredibly thin, even the end of an eyedropper sucked him in. Swift in bed
  • Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #144 on: October 13, 2009, 09:00:54 pm »

Why were you crying?
Get busy living or get busy dying

-Andy Dufresne

Offline guest

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: October 13, 2009, 09:03:35 pm »

Not embarrassing really - I think it's good to know your teacher cares that much about you.

Sometimes things just aren't for people. I'm not saying that is the case with you but people can have all the qualities required to have a really fufilling job like teaching and just struggle to apply it in class.

Best of luck no matter what.

Offline RigBon1892

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #146 on: October 13, 2009, 09:12:13 pm »
Well I've been thinking that all evening.

My outlook now is to go in tomorrow and just give the observation my best shot and if it doesn't work out, so what? At least I've tried.

YNWA Rafa.

Online rowan_d

• boat. Seņor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #147 on: October 13, 2009, 09:13:52 pm »
Threats and blackmail will get you a long way if you're tring to pass an observation  ;)

Offline Skinny

• was born in a bathtub, and grew so incredibly thin, even the end of an eyedropper sucked him in. Swift in bed
  • Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #148 on: October 13, 2009, 09:14:14 pm »
Good luck :wave
Get busy living or get busy dying

-Andy Dufresne

Offline RigBon1892

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #149 on: October 14, 2009, 06:43:35 pm »
Well it didnt go well. Is it the end of the world? Not by a long shot.

YNWA Rafa.

Offline smicer07

• Negative, miserable sod!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: October 14, 2009, 06:47:56 pm »
Keep your chin up jeffiner, we've all been there. Even after 5 years of teaching, I still feel like crying sometimes!!

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #151 on: October 15, 2009, 07:16:00 am »
Yep, there were times during my pgce when I wanted to quit more than anything.

Offline G a r y

• Sexist Pig. Wants to mate with Dan Bilzerian
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kop 306
« Reply #152 on: October 15, 2009, 08:42:59 am »
I'm on a course tomorrow too, so 6 more working days. Fantastic, my job is great.

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #153 on: October 15, 2009, 08:49:13 am »
5 for me, today is my last day without a free before half term too. This half term seems to have shot by!!

Offline RigBon1892

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #154 on: October 15, 2009, 09:10:12 am »
Yep, there were times during my pgce when I wanted to quit more than anything.

I have quit.

YNWA Rafa.

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #155 on: October 15, 2009, 11:27:29 am »
Really? If so that's a shame as weren't you pretty far through it?

Offline RigBon1892

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #156 on: October 15, 2009, 11:33:25 am »
Yeah but 2 failed placements has just made me realise its not for me.

Probably better I realised that now than get stuck in a job and realise I hate it.

YNWA Rafa.

Offline hooded claw

• Foiled by the Anthill Mob
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #157 on: October 15, 2009, 11:35:00 am »
Yeah but 2 failed placements has just made me realise its not for me.

Probably better I realised that now than get stuck in a job and realise I hate it.

Takes balls, that. Good for you and I hope you're a lot more content.

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #158 on: October 15, 2009, 12:44:49 pm »
Aye fair play. I really didn't know if it was for me during my pgce, then did two years on supply thinking I'd get nowhere but been in my proper job for a year now and starting to appreciate how much I enjoy it

Offline RigBon1892

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #159 on: October 15, 2009, 12:51:44 pm »
I still would like to do something helping to support children in school or something like that, and as my teacher says I now have the advantage in that I have masses of experience, I work well with children and I've covered most age groups (I did secondary TA for a year as well)

YNWA Rafa.