Author Topic: Drink Better Beer - Belgian, German, Craft, Ales, Lagers all your hoppy goodness in one place  (Read 273975 times)

Online Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
My brother in law, a chef who spent some time in Germany, told me some years ago about the German Purity Law. Apparently, the Germans take their beer very seriously, and don't take kindly to additives and preservatives.

Anyway, his theory was that if you drink beer with additives and so on, it isn't good for your body, your buzz or your condition the following morning. Having undertaken some careful study in the five or so years since then, I concur. So, some tips to better beer drinking.

Most draught lager you get in bars is piss. If you are in England, this counts double. Seriously, how do you people drink that shit?

Heineken, Carlsberg, Amstel, Kronenbourg etc are all piss. Budweiser makes them all taste like mothers milk. Put it back in the fucking horse. Ask yourself, why don't any of these beers have the ingredients on them?

Only drink beer from bottles or cans where the ingredients are clearly marked on the outside. These should be water, hops, malt, barley, you know, proper farm stuff. If the ingredients include something you've never heard of, it's piss.

The best places to buy beer are the discount super stores like Aldi or Lidl. They sell cheap, excellent beer with the ingredients clearly marked.

Don't be put off by not having heard of the beer you're considering buying. Just check for the ingredients.

These tips may have no basis in fact but they have served me well, and kept my hangover count ridiculously low. There is no reason why we can't be selective about beer, the same way that people are about wine.

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan

No hangover with German beer.

First choice for me, if no Guinness.

87:13

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....

I became quite partial to the above in Athens.   :hally :lickin
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Emlyn18

• Sorviodunum SU145305. Tossing over Pat Butcher or Barry Evans. Rhi's girlfriend.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bargin Booze. Making life richer for the pourer.
Im drinking a can of Carlsberg now. Just says 'contains malted barley'.
Emlyn, you were a very bad influence on my younger brother in Barcelona! I don't know what you gave him but he was a nuisance the entire day, have banned him from Eindhoven!  :missus

Online Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
Im drinking a can of Carlsberg now. Just says 'contains malted barley'.

Does it tell you what else it contains? Horse piss? Extract of lead?

Offline Emlyn18

• Sorviodunum SU145305. Tossing over Pat Butcher or Barry Evans. Rhi's girlfriend.
  • Legacy Fan
Does it tell you what else it contains? Horse piss? Extract of lead?

Nah tastes nice though, on me 3rd now.
Emlyn, you were a very bad influence on my younger brother in Barcelona! I don't know what you gave him but he was a nuisance the entire day, have banned him from Eindhoven!  :missus

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
I think beer especially tastes shit from a can.
Bottles or draught all the way.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Jonathan Hall ☆☆☆☆☆☆

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tapas y Cerveza y vino tinto!
Budweiser? The american one or the czech one. If american i'd rather drink piss, as american bud is made with rice.

Decent german, czech or belgin beer, or proper ale.
Right which bastards eaten me Tapas?

http://hfdinfo.com/digital/

Online kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop

Offline bryanod

• Probably in Boyzone with a name like that...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RPLP Champion 2012/2013 & 2013/2014 Double Winner
the local beer in gelsenkirchen is fantastic, had no trouble getting up at 9 the next morning and eating breakfast!
Men of lofty genius when they are doing the least work are most active

- Leonardo Da Vinci

Offline Emlyn18

• Legacy Fan
the local beer in gelsenkirchen is fantastic, had no trouble getting up at 9 the next morning and eating breakfast!

Im still out drinking then.

Offline WheelOfCheese

• Anny Roader
  • Are you my Caucasian?

Offline CheshireDave

• quite apt, as he's from Gloucestershire and his name's Norman
  • Legacy Fan
Warsteiner is a cracking beer.

Also at the cricket they had somthing called, I think Hell or somthing.

That was spot on too.
Fuckin' 'Ell It's Fred Titmus

Offline WheelOfCheese

• Anny Roader
  • Are you my Caucasian?
on a side not if you like White beers, Hoegarrden and Kronenburg Blanc, the new Tea Factory on Wood Street has just had a refurb and sells something called Pauliner White Beer - gorgeous stuff!

Offline Jimmy Conway

• Look at me, never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Get down your local Samuel Smith pub. They sell organic beers/ciders. No hangovers!

Offline Fat Tony

• Run Rosie Run!
  • Legacy Fan
Someone name me some decent German ale that they'll sell in the Asda then, and I'll give it a try.

Becks is my favourite lager, but I bet the Germans probably think its piss....

Offline billy-b

• Gullible
  • Kopite
Warsteiner is a cracking beer.

Also at the cricket they had somthing called, I think Hell or somthing.

That was spot on too. Ah Warsteiner,good old wobbly.

Offline Jimmy Conway

• Look at me, never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I do remember the Germans being annoyed that Bud sponsored the World Cup. Bud doenst pass the purity test they have out there!

Offline Cusamano

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Natural Police
The dogs bollocks

Wake up, will ya pal? If you're not inside, you're outside, OK? And I'm not talking a $400,000 a year working Wall Street stiff flying first class and being comfortable, I'm talking about liquid. Rich enough to have your own jet. Rich enough not to waste time. Fifty, a hundred million dollars buddy. A player. - Gordon Gekko

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
I do remember the Germans being annoyed that Bud sponsored the World Cup. Bud doenst pass the purity test they have out there!

They managed to get a concession and have Bitburger available as well to my knowledge.

Online Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
Becks is my favourite lager, but I bet the Germans probably think its piss....

That's my usual fallback when they don't have anything decent. As far as I know, it has the ingredients on the bottle.

Offline Beni

• The Original Grass
  • Legacy Fan
Was recently in Tenerife and was drinking a beer called Reina, 100% natural ingredients. Had several conversations about this brew and people told me I wouldn't wake up with an hangover due to the natural ingredients. I must say even though it got you pissed I never once woke up feeling rough....Happy Days.... :)
I must be getting old-because I am a Grandad.....

BAN HARPER

Offline thew

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
had a few pints of Peroni (seems to be the draught beer of the moment) and several cans of red stripe last night, and am feeling slightly more second-hand than should... this advice looks good - but translated into a normal UK pub the options are fairly limited...do I have to drink bottles of Becks from here on in to avoid a hangover  ???

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
had a few pints of Peroni (seems to be the draught beer of the moment) and several cans of red stripe last night, and am feeling slightly more second-hand than should... this advice looks good - but translated into a normal UK pub the options are fairly limited...do I have to drink bottles of Becks from here on in to avoid a hangover  ???

Avoid any shite lager or keg beer.

Drink shorts, real ale or decent lager. Usually works for me.

Offline niallo27

• I like iceburgers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
No hangover with German beer.

First choice for me, if no Guinness.

Guinness tastes like complete piss over there, they don't even let it settle.
You must be in heaven when you come over here, if you can drink it there

Offline Kez

• hallowed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Depends on the Peroni you were drinking. If it was Nasty Azzuro then that explains a lot because that's the shitty export beer. Brown bottle Peroni or Morretti is where it's at.

Offline thew

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Depends on the Peroni you were drinking. If it was Nasty Azzuro then that explains a lot because that's the shitty export beer. Brown bottle Peroni or Morretti is where it's at.

I think it was Nastro Azzuro on draught..I got suckered into the whole matching booze and glass chestnut... something about a perfect pint of creamy Peroni in a distinctive Peroni glass that makes me want to instantly yam up about 12 of the buggers...

Offline NickoH

• Has to fart in private to avoid offending the posh guys and gals in the Marketing Dept
  • Legacy Fan
  • Speak softly love so no one hears us but the sky
Was recently in Tenerife and was drinking a beer called Reina, 100% natural ingredients. Had several conversations about this brew and people told me I wouldn't wake up with an hangover due to the natural ingredients. I must say even though it got you pissed I never once woke up feeling rough....Happy Days.... :)

But you dropped everything the next day :)
I clutch the wire fence until my fingers bleed,
A wound that will not heal, a heart that cannot feel.
Hoping that the horror will recede,
Hoping that tomorrow we'll all be freed.........JUSTICE.

Offline Red Zeppelin

• Kopite

Best bevie BAR NONE! is Erdinger, its a cloudy wheet beer, FUKIN spot on!

best place to get it is the Fly in the Loaf on hardman street, however the Dug-out by the adelphi does it by bottle, also the Asda does the bottles.

am also quite partial to the Old cains raison beer from the Tap :hally
Quote from: kdorg on Today at 02:09:38 AM
the more Pacheco doesn't play the better he becomes. He's turning into a cross between Maradonna Pele Messi and the holy fucking grail.

Offline Dam

• Legacy Fan
  • Rush scored 1, Rush scored 2,...
Best bevie BAR NONE! is Erdinger, its a cloudy wheet beer, FUKIN spot on!

best place to get it is the Fly in the Loaf on hardman street, however the Dug-out by the adelphi does it by bottle, also the Asda does the bottles.

am also quite partial to the Old cains raison beer from the Tap :hally

Good man, Erdinger is a favourite of mine. If you pass a wetherspoons, try a bottle of Etalon. It's from the Ukraine and tastes a bit like Leffe imho (which is another winner). Stopped drinking draft pish in bars years ago. Much better for it

Offline GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only religion with a God that you can touch!
went to Belgium last week on business and we got offered this local Ellezelles beer...

8.5 fucking % of alcohol in it and taste like heaven! :D  Drank about 6 of those bottles and some wines....but didnt have a hangover the next morning
01111001 01101111 01110101 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01100001 01101100 01101011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101

Offline ScouserTommy37

• Steve Biko, Aung San Suu Kyi, Nelson Mandela and now ScouserTommy37. Stop the repression!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Will there ever be a Rainbow ?
Budweiser? The american one or the czech one. If american i'd rather drink piss, as american bud is made with rice.

Decent german, czech or belgin beer, or proper ale.

Czech Budweiser is fit. Is it not known as Budvar ?
Come on RAWK lets ave it and you can bring your fuckin dinner as well.

http://www.contrast.org/hillsborough/ <-- Read this JFT96

MICHAEL SHIELDS YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE!

"If Jamie Carragher were Italian, we'd build entire dynasties around him." Corriere della Sera

Offline ScouserTommy37

• Steve Biko, Aung San Suu Kyi, Nelson Mandela and now ScouserTommy37. Stop the repression!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Will there ever be a Rainbow ?
I think it was Nastro Azzuro on draught..I got suckered into the whole matching booze and glass chestnut... something about a perfect pint of creamy Peroni in a distinctive Peroni glass that makes me want to instantly yam up about 12 of the buggers...

Know that feeling mate. I don't mind the odd Peroni myself.

Some of the English Ales are nice as well.

Belgian beer is shite and I dont care what anyone says.
Come on RAWK lets ave it and you can bring your fuckin dinner as well.

http://www.contrast.org/hillsborough/ <-- Read this JFT96

MICHAEL SHIELDS YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE!

"If Jamie Carragher were Italian, we'd build entire dynasties around him." Corriere della Sera

Offline Living Legends

• Legacy Fan
  • 5 Times Baby! Make that 6 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Czech Budweiser is fit. Is it not known as Budvar ?

yes. believe the American's ripped it off...but only by making nice beer taste shite  :rollseyes

Offline nyctex

• God Bless America
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Close your eyes...and imagine it's Jason McAteer
The thread title should be a bumper sticker!!

Offline rotistgeil

• Unflabbable in the face of lesbian scenes in public park.
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA

Hops, Malted Barley, Water the end

:lickin

Offline Andyb

• Anny Roader

after a few of these you are, "exactly what it says on the tin" (bottle) :hally
we no longer dream    we realise this is reality....we are this good!

Offline TheRedBaron

• Mock Conkey
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dont Fuck With Guillem Balague!
So if i go into my average liverpool pub, what should i order instead of a pint of carlsberg/fosters?? Another thing to think about though it that bottles are more expensive so its goin cost more to get pissed.
'Jimmy, I get home, I shut the curtains and I sleep'.

- Mascherano after running out of petrol, forgetting his money then being hit in his car on his way home

Pheeny

Belgian beer is shite and I dont care what anyone says.
so you've tried every single Belgian beer available then?

Pheeny