Author Topic: Rox's Dog Advice Thread  (Read 397538 times)

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Would welcome a premature one, apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Rox's Dog Advice Thread
« Reply #160 on: July 11, 2008, 07:17:18 pm »
If you're intending for them to sleep seperate, then do that from the get go.  Best thing is to keep a radio on low near the crate, and let them have a  teddy to snuggle up to.  With these things, you should start as you mean to go on.  :)

What do you feed her at the moment?  And when you say she's bigger than ideal, you should decide whether she looks 'healthy'.  I see so many dogs who are underweight, and it's a battle to get weight back on them, that a dog carrying a little extra isn't too much of an issue.

Sorry about the delay in replying Rox (been dog walking). At the moment she is being fed Pedigree 'Better by Nature', but, depending on what we are having ourselves she may be 'invited for dinner'. She will also be given a marrow bone a few times a week. So it's far from a consistent menu.
Plenty well, no pray; big bellyache, heap God

Offline Rox

• Gets His Off Regularly. Man's best friend's best friend.
  • Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
« Reply #161 on: July 11, 2008, 08:26:09 pm »
You see, here's a tip.  These new fangled foods when they're called 'nature's best' and such are some of the worst.  Look on the pack and see if you can see a phrase like "Contains EC Permitted Colourings and Preservatives".  That means e numbers.  Some of the foods with carrots and peas in have colourings in to make them look fresh - so look out for that on the packet... actually, check the pack and tell me if it says that...  If the bag is 15kg, they have to list the additives.

Scraps from the table aren't really an issue, so I wouldn't worry too much.  :D
Having problems with a dog, or just want to understand them better?  Get advice at my site... http://inspireyourdog.com/ and follow us on Twitter @inspireyourdog for tips and hints.

Offline Oingy Boingy

• Bisquitts
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #162 on: July 12, 2008, 07:47:35 am »
I'm pretty sure that the smell comes from a gland in their bums which emits a liquid that stinks to high heaven. We had a Rottie that it used to happen to when he barked really hard at something - maybe he was barking hard because he was scared too.

*Edit*
http://www.dfordog.com/didyouknow_anal_glands.htm

Just found this.

thanks i read that....i think i'll take my chances that she does'nt get scared like that again,and in the words of Meatloaf "i would do anything for love but i wont do that" ;D
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 07:58:29 am by wearthefoxhat »
Indeed...

Offline Rox

• Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
« Reply #163 on: July 12, 2008, 09:28:59 am »
thanks i read that....i think i'll take my chances that she does'nt get scared like that again,and in the words of Meatloaf "i would do anything for love but i wont do that" ;D

Get them emptied by your vet.  Would you be happy if your anal glands were full, and no one would empty them for you?

It's not good if you leave it....
Having problems with a dog, or just want to understand them better?  Get advice at my site... http://inspireyourdog.com/ and follow us on Twitter @inspireyourdog for tips and hints.

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Would welcome a premature one, apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #164 on: July 12, 2008, 10:28:37 am »
You see, here's a tip.  These new fangled foods when they're called 'nature's best' and such are some of the worst.  Look on the pack and see if you can see a phrase like "Contains EC Permitted Colourings and Preservatives".  That means e numbers.  Some of the foods with carrots and peas in have colourings in to make them look fresh - so look out for that on the packet... actually, check the pack and tell me if it says that...  If the bag is 15kg, they have to list the additives.

Scraps from the table aren't really an issue, so I wouldn't worry too much.  :D

Yes Rox I eventually found it, but only after turning the box upside down - 'permitted EC additives' - whatever they are. Of course on the front of the box it tells you 'no artificial colourings or flavourings'. They also boast that it contains 'succulent?' chicken, a strange choice of word for a dry food.
Plenty well, no pray; big bellyache, heap God

Offline Jebediah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #165 on: July 12, 2008, 11:54:36 am »
Hi Rox,

Not read through the whole thread yet. Am a new, first time dog owner so it's never been relevant before! SO if my question has been dealt with then please just point me in the right direction.

Got my dog a few weeks ago from the animal shelter. he's a 4 or 5 year old small mongrel, and we don't know much about his past.

It's only after we had him for a week or so, and had fallen in love with him, that they told us he had a few 'behavioural issues'.

Basically he is very aggressive towards other dogs. He goes psycho and attack them. he is worse with other males, and dogs on leashes as opposed to off them, but will also attack females and dogs off leads. Normally he's a really really placid dog, and he never barks or chases cats or anything, and he's wonderful around humans. Just this problem with dogs.

I've been given various pieces of advice, such as giving him a little whack on his hind leg area when he gets mental, and keeping him on a very short leash to let him know who's boss. Someone has also told me about introducing him very slowly to a dog that he is aggresssive towards and rewarding him when he doesn't attack, and admonishing him when he does. All the advice is much appreciated but rather vague.

I really want to get his problem sorted out, both for my well being and for his.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Oh, his name is Noah :wave
An elevator can only go up and down, but a Wonkavator goes sideways and slantways and longways and backways and frontways and squareways and any other ways that you can think of...
Proud to be part of the LFC family

Offline Rox

• Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
« Reply #166 on: July 12, 2008, 05:26:27 pm »
Well, Jeb, post a picture of the little fella so we have an idea of what's in him, because his natural instincts play a big bearing on why he does things and what method to use.  Every dog is an indivdual, and any generic training methods don't really work because they assume every dog is the same.....

My usual mantra, what food do you feed Noah on?

Offline Jebediah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: July 12, 2008, 06:21:58 pm »
Here he is with my flat mate. I could get a better photo if you need.

Food... Well i'm not really too sure of a brand or anything, as i don't live in England. They're dry biscuits with no colourings or anything. The guy in the shop said they were good, so i got them.
An elevator can only go up and down, but a Wonkavator goes sideways and slantways and longways and backways and frontways and squareways and any other ways that you can think of...

Offline Rox

• Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
« Reply #168 on: July 12, 2008, 06:49:37 pm »
He almost looks like a cross between a Border Terrier and a JRT.  Terriers tend to like to shout and let the world know how tough they are.  Does he like toys?  Because if you can teach him to carry toys when he's on his walk, and you give him stuff to do, it will get his focus on you so he doesn't have to worry about other dogs...

Offline Jebediah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: July 12, 2008, 08:06:55 pm »
He doesn't shout and bark, he really goes for the other dogs!

He gets bored of his toys pretty quickly but i'll give that a go. Not sure how effective it will be though, when the red mist comes over him like.

Offline Rox

• Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
« Reply #170 on: July 12, 2008, 09:04:30 pm »
He doesn't shout and bark, he really goes for the other dogs!

He gets bored of his toys pretty quickly but i'll give that a go. Not sure how effective it will be though, when the red mist comes over him like.

The idea is to have him focused on stuff before he sees the other dogs - if he's already concentrating, he's already got a different responsibility.  To be honest, without seeing his body language when he's doing it, it's very difficult to be accurate with that kind of behavioural advice...

Offline Spartacus.

• I dragged Rafa into the pub. Knits only with the finest quality Wools.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • KFS
« Reply #171 on: July 15, 2008, 10:08:58 am »
My puppy came home on Saturday (eight weeks old) we’re doing fine of a day just the normal toilet problems as you would expect, however nights are an absolute nightmare.

I don’t particularly want her upstairs so of a night she is left (alone) in a large hall  with her big crate (left open) under the stairs.  She goes mental, its not that she simply cries she makes more noise than that something this small should be capable of, I left her at 11.30pm and she was still going at 5.30am with hardly a break for air.

I don’t know what to do, If I’m with her she’s fine but everyone says start as you mean to go on and as I would rather she sleep downstairs I’m reluctant to bring her up to me.

This morning I ended up getting up round 5.30am and coming down (was determined that she didn’t come up).  She is so loud you cant sleep through it.
RAWK anti scouse?
YNWA is more than a song, think about it.

Offline Rox

• Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
« Reply #172 on: July 15, 2008, 10:17:24 am »
Ah yes, puppy nights awake.  :D  Fun times for all... 

What time is her last feed?

To be honest the easiest way is to sleep downstairs for a few nights so they know you're there, then gradually move yourself back upstairs.

Does she sleep in a dog crate or loose in a bed?

What some people do is have the dog crate in the bedroom for a few nights, then move the crate onto the landing for a few nights, then back downstairs.

Offline Spartacus.

• I dragged Rafa into the pub. Knits only with the finest quality Wools.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • KFS
« Reply #173 on: July 15, 2008, 11:17:41 am »
Last feed is about 6.30, she has her dog crate but I didn't close the door, think I will tonight - some people are saying place something over the crate and possibly have a radio on low!

Is this just normal puppy behaviour?
RAWK anti scouse?
YNWA is more than a song, think about it.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #174 on: July 15, 2008, 11:57:08 am »
 ^ We had the same problem, we ended up with the puppy sleeping in the bedroom which probably isn't the best solution as she's now  in there everynight.
I just couldn't leave the thing whining / crying all night.

Offline Mavis Cruet

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Welsh Wool
« Reply #175 on: October 29, 2008, 10:07:18 am »
I had my 10 month old bitch Molly spayed on Monday. How long will it be before she is back to her normal self? She is not eating much yet and is still pretty quiet (usually she is very manic). I'm just wondering if this is normal two days later?

I suppose in a way I should be thankful she is quiet. At least she is not jumping all over the furniture and pulling her stitches out :D

Offline Rox

• Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
« Reply #176 on: October 29, 2008, 10:18:06 am »
What breed is she?

Our Border Collies are just as manic when they come out as when they went in, but it took a Rough Collie we had 3 weeks.

All dogs and breeds react differently to the anaesthetic, so as long as she's eating and drinking, she's okay.

However, keep a check on her gums, and if she looks pale, take her to your vet.  Does she have any pain killers?

Offline Mavis Cruet

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Welsh Wool
« Reply #177 on: October 29, 2008, 12:03:10 pm »
Hi. Since I wrote that she has actually started to liven up. She is a Jack Russell, long legged type and is usually a bundle of excess energy. I think she is ok and it's just me being overly cautious with her. I forget how much of a big op it is for a small dog.

Thanks for replying and I will keep a check on her gums. :)

Offline Rox

• Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
« Reply #178 on: October 29, 2008, 12:10:59 pm »
Our JRT got over it the next day.  Don't worry, sounds like she's on the mend...  Looks like an overly worried mummy to me... ;)  :D

Offline RedGirlSuzie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only hero we need!
« Reply #179 on: October 29, 2008, 12:47:39 pm »
Hi Rox, I got our a collie/staffie cross from a dogs home about 5 months ago, and she is absolutely fantastic, 95% of the time.

When we go out for a walk, or should I say about to, she goes absolutely manic. She throws herself round the house, banging into everything and screaches like I've ever heard before, and grunts abit too. She ends up getting into a state and then when we finally get outside (after 5 minutes trying to get her collar and harness on) she pulls like mad for the first few minutes. She calms down after that and walks fine, but its the same thing in the car, with the screaching. I have tried this staying on a certain level, and trying to get her to calm down by being calm myself and just stroking her slowly and gently, but it doesn't help!!

She has scars on her legs, quite big ones, and was quite thin when we got her (she had only been in the kennels for afew days when we first said we wanted her) we think that she was only ever fed scraps of food, not ordinary dog food, as it took about 3 weeks for here to realise she didn't need to keep sticking her head in the bins and that her food was already out! So I don't know if her past could be a factor in it the way she is, possibley she was never taken out for walks, and the last time she went in a car before we had her she was being dumped on the kennels doorstep.

Any advice on something I could do would be muchly appreciated!  :wave
On awaiting Everton's arrival for a derby game at Anfield, Shankly gave a box of toilet rolls to the doorman and said: 'Give them these when they arrive – they'll need them!'

What a legend this man is!

Offline Mavis Cruet

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Welsh Wool
« Reply #180 on: October 29, 2008, 02:35:36 pm »
Our JRT got over it the next day.  Don't worry, sounds like she's on the mend...  Looks like an overly worried mummy to me... ;)  :D

Yes, I had a Boxer that was fine the next day too which is why I was concerned about this one. Overly worried is right, I can't help it :D

Thanks for replying, much appreciated.

Offline Rox

• Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
« Reply #181 on: October 29, 2008, 05:55:08 pm »
No problem, Mavis... :D

Now then, RedGirlSuzie this is my stock question - what do you feed her?  Food can have a big bearing on behaviour...

She's simply (rather like a kid on the journey to Disneyland!) getting really excited about going out.  Loads of dogs do it, it's nothing to worry about, really.

Stroking her when she's wound up is the wrong thing to do...  ;)  It's a natural human response to want to reassure her, but in doggy language you're telling her she's a 'good girl' - so you're telling her she's right to get excited!  :D

If you want her to be less excited, you need to be less predictable - she knows when you're going out, so is accordingly excited!  :D

One thing to do is to give her a 'job' to do at walkies time.  Get her to hold a toy or a bone, and it's her job to hold that for the first five minutes of the walk - then her mouth is engaged with something to do, which will help with the screeching.

...having said all that, Staffies (and collies) do get wiggly and squealy and excited, so it's not unusual.  :)

Do you have a picture of her you can post?  It will give me a good idea how much staffie and collie there is in her, and then I can be even more specific with my advice.  :)

Offline RedGirlSuzie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only hero we need!
« Reply #182 on: October 30, 2008, 09:04:16 am »
No problem, Mavis... :D

Now then, RedGirlSuzie this is my stock question - what do you feed her?  Food can have a big bearing on behaviour...

She's simply (rather like a kid on the journey to Disneyland!) getting really excited about going out.  Loads of dogs do it, it's nothing to worry about, really.

Stroking her when she's wound up is the wrong thing to do...  ;)  It's a natural human response to want to reassure her, but in doggy language you're telling her she's a 'good girl' - so you're telling her she's right to get excited!  :D

If you want her to be less excited, you need to be less predictable - she knows when you're going out, so is accordingly excited!  :D

One thing to do is to give her a 'job' to do at walkies time.  Get her to hold a toy or a bone, and it's her job to hold that for the first five minutes of the walk - then her mouth is engaged with something to do, which will help with the screeching.

...having said all that, Staffies (and collies) do get wiggly and squealy and excited, so it's not unusual.  :)

Do you have a picture of her you can post?  It will give me a good idea how much staffie and collie there is in her, and then I can be even more specific with my advice.  :)

Thanks Rox, I'll try to distract her before her walk tonight! She has tesco dry dog food (has moist meaty chunks in it or something!) We tried her on Arden Grange stuff when we first had her but she just wouldn't eat it, so we were getting worried and tried her on this stuff, which she liked! I wouldn't say she was hyper, she sleeps for most of the day, then just goes crazy when it's time for walkies!

I will post a picture of her tonight (on the computer in work so don't have any on this comp) but out of collie and staffie, she is much more staffie. However I think she is those 2 breeds plus about 5 others, but who am I to doubt what the dogs trust told me!! Thanks again  :)
On awaiting Everton's arrival for a derby game at Anfield, Shankly gave a box of toilet rolls to the doorman and said: 'Give them these when they arrive – they'll need them!'

Offline RedGirlSuzie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only hero we need!
« Reply #183 on: October 31, 2008, 09:42:52 am »
Hi Rox, finally managed to get a pic loaded up! Here's my little girl Jess!!. or as she's known when she's naughty Jessica Torres (she knows somethings wrong when she's full named!)  ;D

Offline BIGdavalad

• Major Malfunction. Yearns To Be A Crab! MOD Agony Aunt. Dulldream Believer. Is the proud owner of a one year old login time.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: February 10, 2009, 02:14:51 pm »
A bit of doggy advice needed please Rox (or anyone else who knows)

Got a young (eight month) GSD pup the other day and he lives out in the back (there's an outhouse just outside the kitchen door with a covered passage between it and the house where his bed is and where he lives). The problem is that he's a bit overexcitable and when he sees one of us in the kitchen (the door has a big window in it) he's jumping up to see us and he's scratching the hell out of the door.

I'm going to nail a bit of playwood over the bottom (wooden) half of the door to stop it getting any more damaged, but is paint (or similar) safe? It'll have to be treated somehow to stop it getting damp and rotting, but obviously whatever I use has to be 'doggy safe'.
Joining Betfair? Use the referral code UHHFL6VHG and we'll both get some extra cash.

All of the above came from my head unless otherwise stated. If you have been affected by the issues raised by my post, please feel free to contact us on 0800 1234567 and we will send you an information pack on manning the fuck up.

Offline brussels sprout

• Fucking Beaut.
  • Kopite
« Reply #185 on: February 10, 2009, 02:34:30 pm »

Got a young (eight month) GSD pup the other day and he lives out in the back (there's an outhouse just outside the kitchen door with a covered passage between it and the house where his bed is and where he lives). The problem is that he's a bit overexcitable and when he sees one of us in the kitchen (the door has a big window in it) he's jumping up to see us and he's scratching the hell out of the door.

I'm going to nail a bit of playwood over the bottom (wooden) half of the door to stop it getting any more damaged, but is paint (or similar) safe? It'll have to be treated somehow to stop it getting damp and rotting, but obviously whatever I use has to be 'doggy safe'.
Look forward to your march out mate.
A bastion of invincibility

Offline BIGdavalad

• Major Malfunction. Yearns To Be A Crab! MOD Agony Aunt. Dulldream Believer. Is the proud owner of a one year old login time.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: February 10, 2009, 02:43:53 pm »
Look forward to your march out mate.

That's what I'm worried about! The little bugger's going to cost me a fortune to the robbing bastards at DHE
Joining Betfair? Use the referral code UHHFL6VHG and we'll both get some extra cash.

All of the above came from my head unless otherwise stated. If you have been affected by the issues raised by my post, please feel free to contact us on 0800 1234567 and we will send you an information pack on manning the fuck up.

Offline Crazynumber9

• Legacy Fan
  • Be afraid!
« Reply #187 on: February 10, 2009, 08:47:28 pm »
Hi there. I've got a 4 month old Rhodesian Ridgeback. my biggest problem is her jumpimg on people, particularly when she is excitable( meaning most times of the day). Nothing seems to make her calm down. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks
Proudly an internet terrorist since 2010!

Offline Rox

• Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
« Reply #188 on: February 11, 2009, 09:46:30 am »
BIGdavalad, basically any non-toxic paint will be fine; if it's safe for kids, it's safe for dogs.  At the end of the day, he won't be drinking it (!) so should be fine.  :)

Crazynumber9, the best thing is to teach her to sit when she comes to people to get a treat.  When she understands that sitting in front of people means something cool happens, she'll soon want to do that instead.  Usual question - what do you feed her?

Offline BSBW

• Will take anyone one on to maintain the integrity and traditions of the 70's and 80's Road End
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Scouse Born Wild
« Reply #189 on: February 11, 2009, 09:54:38 am »

Cover the door with velcro (hoop side), it's weather proof, then make a pair of socks for your dog (hook side). It'll only do it once a day until you decide to release it!
G'Day Lid - Official Scouse rep of the OCB Down Under.

Offline BIGdavalad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: February 11, 2009, 09:56:32 am »
Cheers Rox. Random question of the day - is raw meat safe for dogs or does it need to be cooked?

Cover the door with velcro (hoop side), it's weather proof, then make a pair of socks for your dog (hook side). It'll only do it once a day until you decide to release it!

:lmao

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #191 on: February 11, 2009, 10:18:09 am »
My boxer IS 12 years old  and still eats very well , wondering if i should change her diet because of her age ?
The reason i ask the question is she has got sick a few times recently with her food coming back up covered in a white gel like substance.
Shes does get .5ml syringe 2-3 times a day to strengthen her bladder ?

Diet:Dry food mixed {  http://www.redmills.ie/products.php?id=30  } with a tin of dog food { pedigree chum}

Plus she drinks a lot of water . When shes on her above medication.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 10:26:12 am by rocco »

Offline Live4pool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: February 11, 2009, 10:32:35 am »
hey rox

we recently got a little pomeranian, unfortunatley my sister found him wandering the streets just before christmas with very tatty & lumpy dirty coat, we contacted all the nearest dog shelters put up posters etc around the area and took him to see if he was chipped but with no luck as no one has enquired about him so we've took him in and am pleased to say hes a brilliant little dog and his coat is in perfect condition after some good care... he wont eat dog food though. any advice on what to feed him, my dad has been giving him chopped up sausages/burgers mostly, as thats all he will seem to eat are these ok for him? we've called him verne as he's like an exact mini-me to our other dog, a german shepherd mix rusty ;D

after reading the thread i had a look at what food we're feeding rusty aswell and its the crap pedigree chum dry food with all the E numbers, what would you reccommend? as he dosent really eat dog food either.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 10:36:28 am by Live4pool »
We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams.

Offline Rox

• Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
« Reply #193 on: February 11, 2009, 12:33:38 pm »
Cheers Rox. Random question of the day - is raw meat safe for dogs or does it need to be cooked?

:lmao

I am so sorry for this answer, BIGdavalad....  :D

How many groups of wild dogs do you see huddled round a fire cooking a deer carcass?  ;D

A dog's digestive system is designed to eat raw meat, and especially raw meat which is slightly 'off'.  Raw bones and raw meat are fine - never feed a dog cooked bones as they can splinter...

My boxer IS 12 years old  and still eats very well , wondering if i should change her diet because of her age ?
The reason i ask the question is she has got sick a few times recently with her food coming back up covered in a white gel like substance.
Shes does get .5ml syringe 2-3 times a day to strengthen her bladder ?

Diet:Dry food mixed {  http://www.redmills.ie/products.php?id=30  } with a tin of dog food { pedigree chum}

Plus she drinks a lot of water . When shes on her above medication.

Check out the bag of food and the tin of food - if it says something like "Contains EC permitted colouring and additives", then you'll need to change the food.  Try her on tins of Chappie for a few weeks to see if she settles on that - it's a very bland food which should help you pinpoint the problem.

How often does it happen?  In some breeds, they can suffer from something called 'mega asophagus', and it's best to put the feed bowl on a raised platform so they don't have to bend down to eat their food.  Unless their head is raised, they can find it difficult to swallow and send food to their tummies properly.

hey rox

we recently got a little pomeranian...

after reading the thread i had a look at what food we're feeding rusty aswell and its the crap pedigree chum dry food with all the E numbers, what would you reccommend? as he dosent really eat dog food either.

Poms can be fussy little buggers, bless 'em.  Usually people have them as lap dogs, and feed them whatever the human is eating.  The key to getting him eating dog food is a psychological one.  Buy some tinned dog food (or pouches - just make sure it doesn't say 'Contains EC permitted colourings and preservatives') - Butcher's brand stuff is fine.

Empty it onto a plate you would usually eat from, and bring it into the living room, with a fork as though you're about to eat it.  Put the plate down somewhere he can get to it as though you've forgotten something in the kitchen, and leave the room...  He'll think it's your dinner, and wolf it down...

When he gets the taste for it, he'll like it as he thinks it's what you all eat..  :)

Offline BIGdavalad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: February 11, 2009, 12:51:03 pm »
I am so sorry for this answer, BIGdavalad....  :D

How many groups of wild dogs do you see huddled round a fire cooking a deer carcass?  ;D

A dog's digestive system is designed to eat raw meat, and especially raw meat which is slightly 'off'.  Raw bones and raw meat are fine - never feed a dog cooked bones as they can splinter...

That's actually the exact answer I gave to the missus, but she wouldn't believe me.

Cheers for confirming it though.

Offline Asha D

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: February 11, 2009, 12:53:33 pm »
Need help house training my puppy! got him at 6 weeks old now 12 weeks old and still shitting and pissing anywhere he wants round the house. Whenever i take him out for a walk he never does any businiess so dont know what to do with him!

Offline red-dragon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
« Reply #196 on: February 11, 2009, 01:15:43 pm »
Hi Rox,

Loving all the good advice you are giving on here, like others I have spent a lot of money on "trainers" that get us nowhere.

We have a Collie / Lab X aged "about 9" that we rehomed about 18months ago. The first two days he was great with other dogs but then has got more and more aggressive with them. First he snapped in the faces of a couple of friends golden labs (caught one in the eye :o) and since then I have tried to keep him away from dogs as I can't trust him. He now squeals like I am battering him, barks, lunges and has his hackels up as soon as he sees / smells another dog. I am now staying a lot calmer when this happens, I know it is probably me that is making this worse. I have tried to distract him with treats, make him sit and watch me but even a food obcessed lab X finds the other dogs more appealing than chicken or sausage. I went back to the rescue kennels with him and did some work with them and other dogs and the pain in the bum performed impecabley (sp?) and didn't bark / lunge / squeal or anything, just walked past them calmly. So I know we can do it, but it is different on his daily walks.

Unfortunately we do not have any friends round here with dogs now that we can work with as everyone avoids the out of control mad one and looks down at the owner for not being able to control the noisey dangerous dog!!

He is fed pedigree meat with JWB dry, and other bits during the week such as bio yoghurt  or bonios for supper and mackeral & JWB for breakfast and tea once a week.

He is also a bit of a barker in the house and garden, which I don't mind him alerting me to stuff but I would like him to stop when I tell him. I tried to teach him speak / quiet which is ok when he is sitting in front of you and you have the treat bag, but he is very much no treats, no work.

Sorry it's a long one, hope you can offer some tips.

Offline Crazynumber9

• Legacy Fan
  • Be afraid!
« Reply #197 on: February 11, 2009, 02:29:48 pm »
BIGdavalad, basically any non-toxic paint will be fine; if it's safe for kids, it's safe for dogs.  At the end of the day, he won't be drinking it (!) so should be fine.  :)

Crazynumber9, the best thing is to teach her to sit when she comes to people to get a treat.  When she understands that sitting in front of people means something cool happens, she'll soon want to do that instead.  Usual question - what do you feed her?

Thanks Rox, she gets the dry chunks from the vet. Pretty much the best I can afford, I'll try getting her to sit but she is just a bit hyper. Im hoping that when I spay her in 2 months time it calms her down a bit

Offline Rox

• Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
« Reply #198 on: February 11, 2009, 03:00:36 pm »
Thanks Rox, she gets the dry chunks from the vet. Pretty much the best I can afford, I'll try getting her to sit but she is just a bit hyper. Im hoping that when I spay her in 2 months time it calms her down a bit

There are many reasons why speying is a good idea, and I encourage you to get it done at the right time, but it won't calm her down.

For dog food, expensive doesn't necessarily mean good - the food we feed is excellent but it doesn't break the bank.  Being a rescue, we go through 3 15kg bags of food A DAY.  You need to let me know what brand the food you're feeding is.  :)

Offline Crazynumber9

• Legacy Fan
  • Be afraid!
« Reply #199 on: February 11, 2009, 05:25:14 pm »
There are many reasons why speying is a good idea, and I encourage you to get it done at the right time, but it won't calm her down.

For dog food, expensive doesn't necessarily mean good - the food we feed is excellent but it doesn't break the bank.  Being a rescue, we go through 3 15kg bags of food A DAY.  You need to let me know what brand the food you're feeding is.  :)

She gets Eukanuba, I dont think its the food thats the problem. My older dogs are also on it and they are very calm animals. I think its more of a behavioural problem, she just gets really hyper when people are around and then jumps on to them. Also if you are sitting with her rubbing her belly she tends to want to bite your hand just to hold it in her mouth( not painfully though)