Author Topic: John Barnes interviews in the Observer and Telegraph  (Read 9511 times)

Offline lfc_bhoy

• muppet
  • Legacy Fan
  • You is getting twatted, possibilities no-FS
Re: John Barnes interviews in the Observer and Telegraph
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2009, 10:01:47 am »
I think the whole Celtic think has knocked Digger back along way, as that was a terrible move for him at the wrong time.  Shame really as like you say a lower league club could do well with Digger as there boss, he'd certainly have the players respect.

That and his reputation comes at a premium.  I'm not sure very many clubs could afford him to be honest.
"Because like Bill Shankly, on more days and nights than those expert pundits ever care to recall, he made the people happy."

"There was no other color in the middle of the field except the red of Liverpool"

Offline Liverbabel

• Main Stander
  • Shanks is my god and Liverpool fc is my religion!
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2009, 10:08:15 am »
That was a wonderful interview, i loved barnes like you wouldn't believe growing up my brothers were obsessed with him, he was THE legend in our house at that time. He's one of my all time greats that played for this club and even now when i hear his name or think about him i get little emotional  :'( i just loved him to bits and still do he's a great man who a lot of young footballers should try to be like on and off the pitch, he is what we now call a role model not just for black players but for all players.

If one day he becomes a good manager and is given the chance i love him to become our manager, he's one of a few ex liverpool players that are genuinely loved who always get a great reaction from the fans, he played out of his skin for us week in week out and didn't really do the same for england which i'm happy about  ;D But that interview was lovely and again i'd to say I LOVE YOU BARNES!!!
Justice for the 96!

Offline Regi

• mental
  • Legacy Fan
  • We're caught in a Trap
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2009, 10:33:09 am »
Embodiment of class on and off the pitch.
Like so many others, my favourite ever Liverpool player
A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come
Lester Freamon

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2009, 10:45:57 am »
What a player, it's still a toss up between him and king Kenny who was the best I saw live.

Johnny Barnes, Johnny Barnes.... Johnny Barnes, Johnny Barnes, Johnny Barnes.  Used to love singing that on the Spion kop

Based on what I've seen (which was very little of King Kenny to be honest) JB at his peak was a better player, but his peak was probably a lot shorter then Kenny's.

What do any of the old fellas think?
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline RED-EAZY

• Kopite
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2009, 11:03:19 am »
glad his arm grew back before he signed for us doubt he would of had the ability to dribble like he did.

but seriously he was an amazing player and a role model carried the liverpool way into the 90's he scored the first goal i saw at anfield as well so love him for that

We don't need Gerrard against madrid anyway, they are shite

Offline zimmie'5555

• passenger on an intergalactic spaceship... sometimes wishes he was a woman
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2009, 04:57:24 pm »
Cheers for the 2nd interview Manilla. The guy's a bona fide legend. Class person. Makes some salient points about racism too.

Offline SwedenRed

• It's time we stopped mocking the afflicted. Being an England fan in Sweden is punishment enough :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2009, 05:14:13 pm »
Digger Barnes... The best player I have ever watched in a red shirt... fantastic read also.

Offline SwedenRed

• It's time we stopped mocking the afflicted. Being an England fan in Sweden is punishment enough :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2009, 05:20:10 pm »
Based on what I've seen (which was very little of King Kenny to be honest) JB at his peak was a better player, but his peak was probably a lot shorter then Kenny's.

What do any of the old fellas think?
Barnes peak went on for nearly every minute he played for us. As age took over, he went from the best winger I have ever seen, to one of the best midfielders... He ended up controlling games, very rarely lost the ball or put a foot wrong... Then his goals were simply breathtaking. Sheer quality, and only this type of quality reverting to different rolls on the pitch made him what he was. I was privalaged to miss only a handful of his games in his time at Liverpool, and I will never forget him. As for Kenny, I only witnessed maybe his last couple of Seasons, and he was awe inspiring when I managed to watch him in those two Double games at Stamford Bridge and Wembley.

Offline ghirl86

• Main Stander
  • Scott McDonald - aka Skippy-
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2009, 07:33:44 pm »
things started well for him but then went wrong when we lost our two best players (Larsson and Lambert) to injury.

when things started going wrong on the pitch, he panicked and that's when the players started revolting against him.  he didn't know how to fix things.

Kenny has to take some of the blame in it to be honest, he was appointed to help john out but spent most of his time in spain playimg golf.  the inverness caley game was the end for him.  at half time mark viduka apparently threw his boots at john and left.  john was sacked next morning.

he should not have been given the Celtic job as his first managerial job anyway  but especially not then. we were in transition but the support still expected the overhauling of rangers and that pressure is enough for any manager to deal with never mind a young man  taking his first steps into management.
"Tommy Burns, he had qualities that make good men, great"

Jock Stein, he achieved Greatness.  What he gave to Celtic, they say should have been theirs. Now their bitterness consumes them. He carried the dead form the Ibrox disaster, this is how you repay him? 

Scott McDonald  - 31 goals in his debut season

Offline Manila Kop

• TRYING HARD TO FIT IN OOTER
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Greatest Fighter in the World
« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2009, 02:17:15 am »
at half time mark viduka apparently threw his boots at john and left.  john was sacked next morning.

he should not have been given the Celtic job as his first managerial job anyway  but especially not then. we were in transition but the support still expected the overhauling of rangers and that pressure is enough for any manager to deal with never mind a young man  taking his first steps into management.

Fair enough on the last paragraph mate, but it does sound like the players acted like c*nts there.  Throwing your boots at the manager...
The infallible wank stain
Lolzies. More chance of a wank off the pope than beating United, I'm afraid. It is beyond Benitez, apart from when they were at their lowest ebb, when we knocked them out of the FA Cup. They certainly aren't anywhere near there now.

Offline Snoopy29

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2009, 01:37:52 pm »
funny that, saw him at heathrow think he was going to the states...
“I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us!” “For a player to be good enough to play for Liverpool, he must be prepared to run through a brick wall for me then come out fighting on the other side."

(Bill Shankly)

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
« Reply #51 on: March 7, 2009, 12:53:34 pm »
For all y'all Barnes fans like myself, here is another interesting interview of Barnes that will give you a glimpse on footballer's finances after retirement (well, those from the 'golden era' anyway.  It is, again, from the Telegraph.  I am guessing the likes of Beckham will have a totally different after football life than Barnes).

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/fameandfortune/4928143/John-Barnes-All-the-clothes-I-buy-now-are-from-shops-like-Primark.html