Author Topic: Mighty Red (the LFC Mascot)  (Read 81806 times)

Offline Raaphael

• A fucking embarrassment. Hot 4 Andrew Tate. Works out so beware wokies
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yeah? Well fuck you too Greta Gerwig
Re: Mighty Red (the LFC Mascot)
« Reply #200 on: August 24, 2014, 01:48:38 pm »
And he`s not even mighty. Liverpool as a club, has a long pedigree for being able to call ourselves that, winning loads of trophees. What the hell has that fish done, taking the credit? He might be red, but he`s not fucking mighty. In fact, he ridicules, the term mighty, strutting around in a big head, smiling like an idiot, driving his Volkswagen. That`s not fucking mighty. That`s regular.

Offline Durlmints

• Kicks Ass. Categorically denies being the now infamous antihero 'Chris from Wavertree'. Maybe he is. Maybe he isn't. Who knows? Henry the Mild Mannered Janitor? COULD BEEEE!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Mané & Salah, your defence is terrified!
« Reply #201 on: August 24, 2014, 01:49:30 pm »
Are there mascots already in English football? Yes. You've already got them there, it has nothing to do with England vs. US cultural differences.

I can assure you, people were as opposed to cheerleaders in Boston as you all are to this mascot in Liverpool. It was "the end of tradition", "not what this great club is about", "Auerbach is turning over in his grave", "we've become just another commercialized club", etc. Very same sentiments as you have here.

And nothing bad has come of it.

Mate, I think you're usually a great poster on this site, but this has to be one of the most idiotic things I've ever seen you post.

In the same post, you say

- It was "the end of tradition", "not what this great club is about", "Auerbach is turning over in his grave", "we've become just another commercialized club"

And then a line later, you say

- Nothing bad has come of it.

Well to me it sounds like a tradition dying at a club IS a fucking bad thing, so yes, something bad HAS come of it. Seriously mate your last line sounded like the punchline in a satirical comedy.

Justifying killing the soul of a club with results is not valid, and never will be. If you'd noticed, Chelsea and City have absolutely romped the league in the last decade, and neither of them have a modicum of soul between them. Chelsea are the antithesis of a 'club with values' and yet they have won everything there is to win. So no, you can't say 'it's all well and good because they're getting good results'.

Crows attacked a pensioner in Hamburg after she mimicked a crow's call.
You claim a Wagon Wheel is a biscuit and you have the audacity to stick a Kit Kat in goal? You sir are a du

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #202 on: August 24, 2014, 02:03:08 pm »
Are there mascots already in English football? Yes. You've already got them there, it has nothing to do with England vs. US cultural differences.

I can assure you, people were as opposed to cheerleaders in Boston as you all are to this mascot in Liverpool. It was "the end of tradition", "not what this great club is about", "Auerbach is turning over in his grave", "we've become just another commercialized club", etc. Very same sentiments as you have here.

And nothing bad has come of it.

It has everything to do with the English vs US cultural differences, i've been to sporting "events" in America and it's completely different to what Liverpool is or what it's about. The american "franchises" or "brands" or whatever they call them now aren't the same as English clubs.

This isn't Liverpool FC and we should push it off the pitch and let them know this isn't what the club is about.
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline vicgill

• "do the simple things but do them well"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Football is the simplest game in the world son,
« Reply #203 on: August 24, 2014, 02:17:59 pm »
Mate, I think you're usually a great poster on this site, but this has to be one of the most idiotic things I've ever seen you post.

In the same post, you say

- It was "the end of tradition", "not what this great club is about", "Auerbach is turning over in his grave", "we've become just another commercialized club"

And then a line later, you say

- Nothing bad has come of it.

Well to me it sounds like a tradition dying at a club IS a fucking bad thing, so yes, something bad HAS come of it. Seriously mate your last line sounded like the punchline in a satirical comedy.

Justifying killing the soul of a club with results is not valid, and never will be. If you'd noticed, Chelsea and City have absolutely romped the league in the last decade, and neither of them have a modicum of soul between them. Chelsea are the antithesis of a 'club with values' and yet they have won everything there is to win. So no, you can't say 'it's all well and good because they're getting good results'.

EXACTLY, Stanley Accrington, Fazackerly, I agree with you I'm cracking up mate, never thought I would be arguing over one of those things I thought I would never see at Anfield. I am sick when I hear the word soccer, we really do play Football, mostly with the ball at our feet whereas USA play American Football but mostly carry the ball in their HANDS, now it wont be long before we get the whole package, a thing that runs up and down the pitch, dancers, during the six hour game which will be divided up into 6 parts each lasting 15 minutes, 6 hours of advertising, yep a real family day out. Lovely
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 02:25:10 pm by vicgill »
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

Offline Manila Vanilla

• aka Spud Balls!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
    • Baile Family Website
« Reply #204 on: August 25, 2014, 01:15:36 pm »
Liverpool's support will live or die by the results on the pitch...
…which is sad.

If you win you will become a successful brand and people will queue up to be “supporters”. If you don’t win they’ll drop you.

There was a time when you supported a club because you had a connection with it, not because of results.

Offline call me red

• Main Stander
« Reply #205 on: August 25, 2014, 06:42:19 pm »
Liverpool is different. That`s the whole point. I don`t care if Arsenal or Man Utd have them. Liverpool is different. Anfield is famous for its Kop, for terrace culture, Adidas trainers, home made banners and so on. Being pioneers. There`s a history and a pride in all of that. If anything, we should enhance what Anfield is famous for. Not bringing ridiculous shit in. Have you ever heard about the famous Stretford End Atmosphere? Or the Stamford Bridge noise? A mascot like Mighty Red is related to the whole plastic flag/foam fingers thing in my opinion.

Well said that man We should show these other clubs how it should be done, not just say they do it so we must do.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #206 on: August 25, 2014, 06:49:27 pm »
The ones at Villa are gruesome even scared the BT pundits.
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline BUSHMILLS

• PEBBLEHOUSE. Your auntie's agent provocateur.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never ask what's under his patio
« Reply #207 on: September 1, 2014, 07:37:34 pm »
Rejoice! Rejoice!!

Liverpool Ladies FC ‏@LFCladies ·4h
.@MightyRed_LFC has done the Ice Bucket challenge! Mighty now nominates Changy from @Everton amongst others -

Offline Mamadou

• & Ariam. Reads RAWK in strip clubs, but does not post.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: September 1, 2014, 08:54:33 pm »
Lay off him he's great.

imagine him on the pitch with our lads when there's a minute silence

good decision from the club, he shouldn't be anywhere near the pitch
" Throw me to the wolves and I will return leading the pack"

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #209 on: September 1, 2014, 09:03:05 pm »
Liverpool's support will live or die by the results on the pitch,

…which is sad...

There was a time when you supported a club because you had a connection with it, not because of results.

Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #210 on: September 2, 2014, 11:24:59 am »
…which is sad.

If you win you will become a successful brand and people will queue up to be “supporters”. If you don’t win they’ll drop you.

Innit.

I sometimes wonder what our worldwide supporter numbers would be like if we got relegated a few tiers like Leeds or whatever. I'd still be around like (albeit massively pissed off at the running of the club and incurably bitter and cynical at that point  ;D ) 'cause this is a family matter for me; if/when I have kids, they're gona be Reds whether they like it or not - one might slip through the net and become a bluenose for whatever fucked-up reason they make up, but that's as far as it'll go, so I reckon local support and attendance levels would remain very strong, perhaps growing even stronger with the increased affordability and availability of tickets, because it is very much a matter of tribal civic pride, cultural inheritance and all that.

Obviously fan numbers in Asia and that would drop like a fucking stone, but wouldn't we still be a 'strong' globally-recognised 'brand', whatever our woes? I actually think many(?) of our American fans, even those without scouse family connections, sort of get what supportership of a football club like this means, and would likely still call themselves Reds (but maybe choose another premiership club to cheer on TV, with perhaps some inappropriate choices).

My point is, I really don't think Yanks need the yankification of our club to persuade them to become Reds. Maybe an increased sense of familiarity with sporting customs does help, but I think North Americans getting into footy are attracted to the slightly alien qualities of it, the 'novelty', for want of a better word ('cause I'm not saying that makes them fairweather fans). I reckon they fall in love with the multifaceted European & South Amercan flavours of it all, the sheer cultural variety, and can take or leave all the attempts at American-friendly influences, personally. I could be wrong.

Not that I'm utterly raging at the fact we have an American-styled mascot in the first place, or Dunkin' Donuts as a major commercial sponsor, etc. That's all very meh to me, a mild irritant at most. I just don't think any of it really has a significant impact on attracting new fans of whatever age. And if we really must have a mascot for the kiddies, something with a bit more of a local flavour could have been much better, without bastardising the mythical Liverbird that adorns the club's historic crest, and watches over the city, for those purposes. We could've done something with the Anfield Cat.
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Offline That Kennedy moment

• "Down in 1...down in 1...or 2, 3, 4, 5, 6..... *pause* .....47, 48, 49..... *sigh*.....
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Why I'm here
« Reply #211 on: September 2, 2014, 01:40:39 pm »
No, let's not. Basketball is not football. There is a huge amount of godawful shite that goes along with American sports that doesn't fit with an Association Football game. I couldn't give a flying fuck what they do in basketball. In fact I couldn't give a fuck what they do across Stanley Park.

You evidently don't get it.

Well said.

There are two reasons the major American sports have such limited appeal overseas (outside of basketball pockets like the Balkans, and American-obsessed countries like Japan, with baseball):

1. They're boring - basketball, gridiron, baseball, who gives a fuck?

2. The atmosphere is shit.

The last thing we want or need in English football - at a time when its culture is being denuded for the convenience of overseas 'viewers' and 'EPL' fans - is more American ideas and 'culture'.

Fuck off with that.

'I'd rather have a quick wank, a cup of tea and read the Beano frankly.'
Cornelius, 8 September 2008

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
« Reply #212 on: September 2, 2014, 01:41:46 pm »
We could've done something with the Anfield Cat.

That bastard has changed teams and now supports barca.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CzBD6DrizJM
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #213 on: September 2, 2014, 02:23:20 pm »
That bastard has changed teams and now supports barca.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CzBD6DrizJM
That one seems to want to hog the limelight a bit more than our mog did.  ;D

Also, black cats are a bit more sleek and photogenic and edgy than stray street-tabbies (ours was a scruffy tabby, wasn't it?), so trust Barca to tap up the glamourous type to parade at the Nou Camp.  ::)
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
« Reply #214 on: September 2, 2014, 02:50:21 pm »
That one seems to want to hog the limelight a bit more than our mog did.  ;D

Also, black cats are a bit more sleek and photogenic and edgy than stray street-tabbies (ours was a scruffy tabby, wasn't it?), so trust Barca to tap up the glamourous type to parade at the Nou Camp.  ::)

I have a theory that it is Suarez releasing all these cats on to pitches.  ;D
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Offline nyctex

• God Bless America
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Close your eyes...and imagine it's Jason McAteer
« Reply #215 on: September 2, 2014, 03:33:41 pm »

My point is, I really don't think Yanks need the yankification of our club to persuade them to become Reds. Maybe an increased sense of familiarity with sporting customs does help, but I think North Americans getting into footy are attracted to the slightly alien qualities of it, the 'novelty', for want of a better word ('cause I'm not saying that makes them fairweather fans). I reckon they fall in love with the multifaceted European & South Amercan flavours of it all, the sheer cultural variety, and can take or leave all the attempts at American-friendly influences, personally. I could be wrong.

This is very much correct.  I think you'd find many American supporters, of whatever club in England, are almost more English than the English.  They want to "assimilate".  I don't think it is North American fans demanding or expecting what they already get at home.

BTW, the match coverage and analysis shows here in the States are now done with British talent, like Rebecca Lowe, in front on the camera and it is working really well with great viewing numbers.  Just a few years ago it was primarily American and was God awful.   

Offline trembles97

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: September 2, 2014, 03:51:27 pm »
This is very much correct.  I think you'd find many American supporters, of whatever club in England, are almost more English than the English.  They want to "assimilate".  I don't think it is North American fans demanding or expecting what they already get at home.

BTW, the match coverage and analysis shows here in the States are now done with British talent, like Rebecca Lowe, in front on the camera and it is working really well with great viewing numbers.  Just a few years ago it was primarily American and was God awful.

Fox Sports, who do Champions League coverage, are absolutely fucking dire. Just the absolute worst. Warren Barton has to be the worst pundit to ever cover a match, American, British, or whatever. Eric Wynalda is almost as bad. They're getting the next two World Cups as well, which is pretty depressing.

NBC is doing a decent job, though. The fact that they have all games available for stream online is a huge plus. The days of watching shit streams look to be over (minus the odd CL match).

Offline BUSHMILLS

• PEBBLEHOUSE. Your auntie's agent provocateur.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never ask what's under his patio
« Reply #217 on: September 2, 2014, 07:10:36 pm »

True. I really like Arlo White, the commentator.

Offline Garcias Sangria

• Anny Roader
  • Not in The Grafton on a Friday night
« Reply #218 on: September 3, 2014, 12:42:47 am »
I have a theory that it is Suarez releasing all these cats on to pitches.  ;D
:lmao
Quote from: Owl
If some of u fucking bellends are seriously arsed about this then go to fucking sleep or knock our self out by charging straight at a wall.
It's a fucking pre season
Fuck off u twats
Quote from: Upinsmoke
Go to sleep, but it's only 2.55am

Div

Offline vicgill

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: September 3, 2014, 09:05:09 pm »
Rejoice! Rejoice!!

Liverpool Ladies FC ‏@LFCladies ·4h
.@MightyRed_LFC has done the Ice Bucket challenge! Mighty now nominates Changy from @Everton amongst others -

any chance of changing the ice water for acid
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

Offline Anfield Ed

• Middle name "Dick". Wants it hard, wants it fast.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Warrior #224
« Reply #220 on: September 3, 2014, 09:10:31 pm »
Personally don't see anything wrong with this really. I mean its for the kids so let it be.

Offline Raaphael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: September 3, 2014, 09:14:14 pm »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liver_bird

A Mythical creature.

Mighty Red has sure nailed it.

Offline Spraynard Kruger

• Wholeheartedly supports the cause but would stay seated in a walk-out protest cos, you know, it's so expensive to get to the game, so doesn't wholeheartedly support after all and misses the point completely. All in one sentence. Wow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: September 3, 2014, 09:14:29 pm »
In terms of atmosphere in America it's all about the Divison 1 collegiate level. When someone asks me about European football and the culture the closest thing I compare it to is college football in the States.
"Sometimes you have to just chill out, look at the Everton fans and let them realise what time it is." - Daniel Sturridge

Offline Raaphael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: September 3, 2014, 09:16:27 pm »
Don`t want any of that American Cheerleader shit in English football.

Offline vicgill

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: September 3, 2014, 09:18:11 pm »
"Liverpool's support will live or die by the results on the pitch" a quote from Sox fan I think????

but to whoever you are, in 1954 we were relegated to the Second Division and spent the next eight years fighting to get back to the first division, Bill Shankly got us back in 1962, we never lost any support and it doesn`t matter whose names are on the deeds it`s our club, before your friends bought our club we got rid of two cowboys, we fought them every inch of the way and we won and while I don´t expect our new owners to fuck us about we will be prepared to go through it all again, IT IS OUR CLUB

Offline GerrardRock2

• Good for upset tummies.....
  • No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • I'm muted, not sure why? Allow in-match threads
« Reply #225 on: September 3, 2014, 09:19:42 pm »
True. I really like Arlo White, the commentator.

Love Rebecca and Arlo. However, having Tim Howard (Everton), Graeme LeSaux (Chav$), and Lee Dixon (The Arse) commentate our matches, particularly the latter two against their former clubs is pretty low rent. The only thing I like about Dixon is that he thinks - since he was around during the invincibles - that every Arsenal team since his own is below the standard for Arsenal.

Offline Cohiba

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Klopp
« Reply #226 on: September 3, 2014, 09:29:57 pm »
Well said Vic! Although this lot do currently seem to be among the best.
Every great achievement
Was believed to be impossible at one time

Offline Master ScouseKnee

• Kopite
  • Oh, the sun is on the Harbour
« Reply #227 on: September 11, 2014, 04:18:33 pm »
http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/170573-new-matchday-role-for-mighty-red

The 2014-15 season has seen Liverpool's official mascot, Mighty Red, handed an extra responsibility – helping out with the club's young official mascots on match days.

As well as providing great photo opportunities for the youngster, Mighty's role will be to help escort the mascots off the pitch and back to their families, helping add to an extra special experience for the kids involved.

Archie Brown, aged 11, from Warwick was assisted by Mighty when he was a mascot for the Reds against Southampton on the opening day of the campaign - and it was day he'll never forget.

"I enjoyed meeting Mighty Red and being on the pitch with him," said Archie. "Being a mascot at Anfield was awesome. I felt honoured and very lucky to have been selected."

As a positive role model for all junior LFC fans, Mighty Red continues to support junior fan engagement programmes as well as the Liverpool FC Foundation's local schools and community projects.

Liverpool FC's mascot, Mighty Red was launched in 2012 and since then he has appeared at hundreds of community events to entertain over 30,000 children.
Bored of manufactured consent

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #228 on: September 11, 2014, 04:19:34 pm »
Oh shit, take cover.

Offline Kopulator

• Main Stander
  • Even the scoreboard's red!
« Reply #229 on: September 11, 2014, 04:23:21 pm »
He's 11 and he likes mighty red?

This is what happens when you get rid of bullying.

Offline JRC_

• Legacy Fan
  • We Are Liverpool
« Reply #230 on: September 11, 2014, 05:10:45 pm »
So he's going to be running around on the pitch before kick off? Great

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #231 on: September 11, 2014, 05:11:15 pm »
So he's going to be running around on the pitch before kick off? Great

Did you read the post?

Offline JRC_

• Legacy Fan
  • We Are Liverpool
« Reply #232 on: September 11, 2014, 05:13:56 pm »
Did you read the post?

I did indeed thanks Craig, it says he's going to be helping the mascots off the pitch, therefore he will be on the pitch before kick off, unless I'm missing something?

Offline PattoLFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: September 11, 2014, 05:14:21 pm »
Didn't the club say he would only be used for external club activities and not for match day purposes on the pitch or did i imagine that? As long as it stays to just help the young mascots and directs them to the right place I have no issue. The issue I would have is if he started to jump around on match day on the pitch like other clubs mascots do.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: September 11, 2014, 05:14:28 pm »

Offline Raaphael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: September 11, 2014, 05:14:44 pm »
Fuck off, Mighty Red.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #236 on: September 11, 2014, 05:18:11 pm »
Fuck off, Mighty Red.

You ain't got no chicks or egg

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #237 on: September 11, 2014, 05:21:37 pm »
I did indeed thanks Craig, it says he's going to be helping the mascots off the pitch, therefore he will be on the pitch before kick off, unless I'm missing something?

"Helping them off", exactly like he did at the first home game - he comes on once the picture is about to be taken with the little kid then goes off the pitch with him.

Not sure how you read into that that he would be "running around the pitch before kick off".

Offline JRC_

• Legacy Fan
  • We Are Liverpool
« Reply #238 on: September 11, 2014, 05:24:04 pm »
"Helping them off", exactly like he did at the first home game - he comes on once the picture is about to be taken with the little kid then goes off the pitch with him.

Not sure how you read into that that he would be "running around the pitch before kick off".

Sorry for the confusion caused mate  :thumbup

Offline Raaphael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #239 on: September 11, 2014, 05:26:18 pm »
So they need "help" to get off the pitch? Walking 30 meters? Yeah, we need a big, red fishface in that process.