Author Topic: Mighty Red (the LFC Mascot)  (Read 80181 times)

Online TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
Re: Mighty Red (the LFC Mascot)
« Reply #120 on: August 23, 2014, 09:25:41 am »
Some precious types in here

Offline lorenzo23

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #121 on: August 23, 2014, 10:03:27 am »
You aren't getting it mate. It's the tip of a seal-clapping 'who are ya' goal celebration music cheerleading soccer AM plastic flag waving shitty iceberg.
After last season mate i am just buzzing a clown in costume not going stop that. Loads of people were defending some of targets we were after in transfer window. Saying what Rodgers has done so far he should get benefit of doubt? Shouldn't the owners? have they not shown enough to be giving some breathing space. Ticket prices is good place to start moaning about not a mascot for kids and none of the other stuff is happening.
Liverpool manager Rafael Benítez admitted after the match that the manner of his side's victory had stunned him and he stated: "My problem is that I don't have words to express the things that I feel at this moment"

Offline redrockydennis

• Annie Wilkes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • gonna paint me jarg wheelie bin purple
« Reply #122 on: August 23, 2014, 10:29:45 am »
You aren't getting it mate. It's the tip of a seal-clapping 'who are ya' goal celebration music cheerleading soccer AM plastic flag waving shitty iceberg.

Or a way to get little kids to engage. Or run away and be terrified of it. Either way, it's not part of some nefarious conspiracy to destroy the very soul of liverpool fc.
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes,
of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass.
It is terribly simple."

Offline Manila Vanilla

• aka Spud Balls!
  • Legacy Fan
    • Baile Family Website
« Reply #123 on: August 23, 2014, 12:00:10 pm »
Five years ago we would have laughed if you said the club would have a sponge mascot.

Ten years ago we would never have believed the team could be booed at Anfield for going top.

Fifteen years ago we never thought the club would tout tickets to its own fans.

Twenty years ago we laughed at Man Utd because most of their fan base had no connection with the city.

Twenty-five years ago we protested against the imposition of fan cards. Now we’re queuing up to buy them.

If you heat the water gently enough the frog doesn’t jump out. It’s death by 1,000 cuts and there’s every chance you’ll end up with cheerleaders and a plastic pigeon on the pitch.

The good news is that the game is better than it’s ever been as a spectacle and it’s more family friendly. The bad news is that you have a generation of customers who get vitriolic if they don’t get a quick return on their emotional and financial investment - and the atmosphere has died.

If that’s what the majority want then it’s fine. I don’t care one way or the other. And that’s a shame because, over fifty years after going to my first match at Anfield, I really don’t care any more.

Online meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #124 on: August 23, 2014, 12:00:51 pm »
Ticket prices is good place to start moaning about not a mascot for kids and none of the other stuff is happening.
I like to actually have moan about both mate

That's a well summed up post manila.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 12:04:21 pm by meady1981 »

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #125 on: August 23, 2014, 12:09:38 pm »
:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

literally crying from laughter seeing those pictures, especially gunnersaurus

I know it's wrong but some of them are fucking hilarious. ;D The West Ham one and the fourth one (some kind of fish?) are the best, it's their facial expressions. :lmao
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Po The Panda

• Keyboard Narcoleptic. Has Christiano Ronaldo as his profile picture. Stuck with this name. You could call it his legacy.....wants to pop a caps lock in yo ass.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Real Username: LEGACY
« Reply #126 on: August 23, 2014, 01:29:37 pm »
It's modern football move with the times.  Plus we can't be left behind our rivals, the Gunnersaurus is massive!

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: August 23, 2014, 02:22:04 pm »
Sorry but it's just wrong, like singing generic songs you get it or you don't, but I find so much about the match wrong these days. When I was a kid it was so much more interesting waiting outside pubs while my Dad met a mate or sneaking in and getting a glimpse of the adult world, the noise, the singing, the songs, the smells, we went the match to get away from Disney, desperately trying to see, standing on boxes waiting to be big enough to go the Kop, I wouldn't swap it for nothing... back to the auls arse thread for me ;D
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline Kopulator

• Main Stander
  • Even the scoreboard's red!
« Reply #128 on: August 23, 2014, 02:46:10 pm »
Don't like it or that inflatable cucumber in the Kop. Next it will be the foam fingers like Chelsea are getting.

Offline DyingAtheist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: August 23, 2014, 02:49:57 pm »
If another club asked you to jump off a bridge, would you?? Would you???

Thought not.
Eat your dinner.

If all my mates jumped off a bridge, I certainly would do.

The point being that "it's against tradition" is bullshit. Not having a mascot is not a tradition, it's just something we've never had.

Offline jay.taller.than.spearing

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Klopp
« Reply #130 on: August 23, 2014, 02:59:23 pm »
Be mor Merika !
JFT96. YNWA .

Offline yslee

• Main Stander
« Reply #131 on: August 23, 2014, 03:07:21 pm »
'MUUUUUURRRRRRRRIIIIIIICCCCAAAAAAA

(some people are real curmudgeons here, I swear)

Offline Raaphael

• A fucking embarrassment. Hot 4 Andrew Tate. Works out so beware wokies
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yeah? Well fuck you too Greta Gerwig
« Reply #132 on: August 23, 2014, 03:27:09 pm »
Rob Gutmann is right about this.

Offline vicgill

• "do the simple things but do them well"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Football is the simplest game in the world son,
« Reply #133 on: August 23, 2014, 03:37:59 pm »
Sorry but it's just wrong, like singing generic songs you get it or you don't, but I find so much about the match wrong these days. When I was a kid it was so much more interesting waiting outside pubs while my Dad met a mate or sneaking in and getting a glimpse of the adult world, the noise, the singing, the songs, the smells, we went the match to get away from Disney, desperately trying to see, standing on boxes waiting to be big enough to go the Kop, I wouldn't swap it for nothing... back to the auls arse thread for me ;D

well said Albie, it may suit other clubs but not us. I know Shankly would have kicked it down Anfield road.
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

Offline Durlmints

• Kicks Ass. Categorically denies being the now infamous antihero 'Chris from Wavertree'. Maybe he is. Maybe he isn't. Who knows? Henry the Mild Mannered Janitor? COULD BEEEE!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Mané & Salah, your defence is terrified!
« Reply #134 on: August 23, 2014, 03:44:42 pm »
well said Albie, it may suit other clubs but not us. I know Shankly would have kicked it down Anfield road.

Haha! And the rest!

Imagine the cheek of someone knocking on Bill's door and asking about the bird.

"So Bill, we've got this idea to have a giant foam Liverbird dance around and have photos on the pitch before kick off. We want to call it the Mighty Red, what do you reckon? Oh...I can see by your expression that you're not keen."
Crows attacked a pensioner in Hamburg after she mimicked a crow's call.
You claim a Wagon Wheel is a biscuit and you have the audacity to stick a Kit Kat in goal? You sir are a du

Offline AK47

• Needs to get a manly man's room. Grrrr.
  • Kopite
  • So it's on and on and on, it's Heaven and Hell
« Reply #135 on: August 23, 2014, 03:57:02 pm »
IMO there's nothing wrong with moving with the times but we need to remember and keep alive who we actually are or we turn into Chelsea...
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

Offline vicgill

• "do the simple things but do them well"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Football is the simplest game in the world son,
« Reply #136 on: August 23, 2014, 04:10:20 pm »
IMO there's nothing wrong with moving with the times but we need to remember and keep alive who we actually are or we turn into Chelsea...

Exactly mate, I take great pride in telling people that the fans at Liverpool make their own Flags or if it-s too costly for one or two people to make one then the hat is passed round so to speak. I remember watching Bolton Wanderers on the tele when they were in the premier league, when they scored some crazy music came belting out of the speakers and a demented thing ran up and down the touchline waving a giant plastic flag, We are Liverpool
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

Online quinny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #137 on: August 23, 2014, 04:12:20 pm »

Exactly. This isn't 'moving with the times'. Moving with the times is getting wifi in the ground, increasing the capacity etc. I'm not particularly against having a mascot but I'd rather we didn't have one, and I'd definitely rather he was nowhere near the pitch on matchday.

Offline HighSix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: August 23, 2014, 04:15:12 pm »

Really don't mind a club mascot but Mighty Red is an abomination of a mascot.

-Shite name
-Looks like a weird fish straight out of Sharky & George not a Liver Bird
-The massive permanent goofy smile makes it v.inappropriate in some moments (e.g. hospitals & in the vicinity of minute silences)
-Really tight / no proper shorts is just weird as most kids will be at crotch height for photos or hugs... Bit creepy not covering the area up with more padding, baggy shorts or feathers. 
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 04:17:03 pm by HighSix »

Offline alvaro

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: August 23, 2014, 04:16:36 pm »
Maybe Mario first antic could be throwing a dart to the mascot to bond with the more traditional fanbase.

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #140 on: August 23, 2014, 04:22:09 pm »
Exactly. This isn't 'moving with the times'. Moving with the times is getting wifi in the ground, increasing the capacity etc. I'm not particularly against having a mascot but I'd rather we didn't have one, and I'd definitely rather he was nowhere near the pitch on matchday.

Id say having a mascot is moving with the times, as it's fairly clear that a lot (not all) of modern kids like this sort of thing. You only have to take a walk down by the family zone bit before any game to see that, and look at most of the other types of things kids these days are interested in (Moshi Monsters, and all these other figures that connect to games consoles).

Let's be honest though, the real reason is to give yet another 'connection' between the club and kids, to attach them to the club and basically then sell more merchandise - just look at how many 'Mighty Red' items are in the official store to see it must be a profitable part of the 'brand'.

As long as it doesn't start going beyond anything to do with the kids (drawing a line at being in the picture with the kid mascots before the game) then I'm not overly fussed. It changes nothing to how I've always enjoyed the game. If it goes beyond this to some of the silly shite mascots do at other clubs then yeah, it needs stopping.

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #141 on: August 23, 2014, 04:23:08 pm »

-Really tight / no proper shorts is just weird as most kids will be at crotch height for photos or hugs... Bit creepy not covering the area up with more padding, baggy shorts or feathers.

???

Offline artanis

• Legacy Fan
  • It is what it is.
« Reply #142 on: August 23, 2014, 04:28:24 pm »
Five years ago we would have laughed if you said the club would have a sponge mascot.

Ten years ago we would never have believed the team could be booed at Anfield for going top.

Fifteen years ago we never thought the club would tout tickets to its own fans.

Twenty years ago we laughed at Man Utd because most of their fan base had no connection with the city.

Twenty-five years ago we protested against the imposition of fan cards. Now we’re queuing up to buy them.

If you heat the water gently enough the frog doesn’t jump out. It’s death by 1,000 cuts and there’s every chance you’ll end up with cheerleaders and a plastic pigeon on the pitch.

The good news is that the game is better than it’s ever been as a spectacle and it’s more family friendly. The bad news is that you have a generation of customers who get vitriolic if they don’t get a quick return on their emotional and financial investment - and the atmosphere has died.

If that’s what the majority want then it’s fine. I don’t care one way or the other. And that’s a shame because, over fifty years after going to my first match at Anfield, I really don’t care any more.

Offline HighSix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: August 23, 2014, 04:33:44 pm »
???

Big no-no not having distinctive shorts in a mascot! Mighty Red is half naked outfit... Its rare just google mascots.  ;D

Offline BirdBrain

• Anny Roader
« Reply #144 on: August 23, 2014, 04:56:06 pm »
Haha! And the rest!

Imagine the cheek of someone knocking on Bill's door and asking about the bird.

"So Bill, we've got this idea to have a giant foam Liverbird dance around and have photos on the pitch before kick off. We want to call it the Mighty Red, what do you reckon? Oh...I can see by your expression that you're not keen."

Bill saw the bird. The bird saw Bill. Bill. Saw. The. Bird. Bill slammed the door in the bird's astonished face. In his astonished, smiling beaky face. Bill slammed the door.

Offline BirdBrain

• Anny Roader
« Reply #145 on: August 23, 2014, 05:21:49 pm »
My 2 favourite mascot moments: the Dortmund one pretending to piss on the Bayern bus

http://images.spox.com/userfiles/z/r/m/Q/k/1X00kRwV2bhwrozAAkskS1.jpg

Derby County's "Rammy the Ram" (!) taking the mick out of an injured Reading player:

http://i2.getreading.co.uk/incoming/article4155579.ece/alternates/s615/C_67_article_2061707_body_articleblock_0_bodyimage.jpg

the latter is what happens when you let these loons run riot during games

I've no problem with it outside of the 90 mins but when the game is on, they don't need to be there and I hope the club don't start using he/she/it as a cheerleader in matches.

Online Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #146 on: August 23, 2014, 05:30:17 pm »
Jesus, the Aresnal picture looks like they are doing a minutes silence, you don't want an weird mascot in that, lack of respect imho.

It was a minute's silence for Hillsborough. Fucking awful.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Defendant

• Main Stander
« Reply #147 on: August 23, 2014, 07:11:59 pm »
I'm all for being wary of newfangled things, but get a grip. It's for the kids.

Offline iamrobk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: August 23, 2014, 07:14:16 pm »
It was a minute's silence for Hillsborough. Fucking awful.
He wasn't supposed to be there though, just couldn't get off the pitch in time. Its not like anyone wanted him there.

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: August 23, 2014, 07:25:34 pm »
My god, it's a mascot for kids! It's not Alex Ferguson in disguise, or a member of Al Queda.

Some of you really, really, REALLY need to get laid.

“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Online Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: August 23, 2014, 07:30:13 pm »
He wasn't supposed to be there though, just couldn't get off the pitch in time. Its not like anyone wanted him there.

Ah that's ok then.

I'm all for being wary of newfangled things, but get a grip. It's for the kids.

Personally, I'd rather have older kids who appreciate the game. What the fuck is any child that would be fascinated by that thing doing at a Premier League match?

Football is a fantastic, professional sport that should be watched by people who appreciate it. There are plenty of young girls and boys who could go to a game and enjoy it for what it is. If they need a twat in a foam suit to keep them occupied what are they doing during the game?
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Online Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: August 23, 2014, 07:32:16 pm »
My god, it's a mascot for kids!

See above - if kids need a mascot they shouldn't be at the game.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline Defendant

• Main Stander
« Reply #152 on: August 23, 2014, 07:43:01 pm »

Personally, I'd rather have older kids who appreciate the game. What the fuck is any child that would be fascinated by that thing doing at a Premier League match?

Football is a fantastic, professional sport that should be watched by people who appreciate it. There are plenty of young girls and boys who could go to a game and enjoy it for what it is. If they need a twat in a foam suit to keep them occupied what are they doing during the game?

Well, I'm glad you have standards for the type of children you'd like to see at the game.

But you're being ridiculous. Obvious point time: Kids can cling on to enjoying kiddie stuff at the same time as gathering an understanding of more grown-up concepts. Two common examples that come to minds are the Easter bunny and Santa.

So it's very likely some kids are enjoying the mascot AND figuring out what's going on on the pitch at the same game.

Online Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: August 23, 2014, 07:52:23 pm »
Well, I'm glad you have standards for the type of children you'd like to see at the game.

But you're being ridiculous. Obvious point time: Kids can cling on to enjoying kiddie stuff at the same time as gathering an understanding of more grown-up concepts. Two common examples that come to minds are the Easter bunny and Santa.

So it's very likely some kids are enjoying the mascot AND figuring out what's going on on the pitch at the same game.

Really? You're bringing Santa and the Easter Bunny into it?

I have standards about the 'type' of kids that go to a whole load of things. I don't expect to see very young kids at certain films. I wouldn't expect to see them at the theatre or an opera. I wouldn't expect to see very young kids at a concert.

I wouldn't expect to see very young kids or mascots at Wimbledon for the tennis.

Still maybe you're right. Next time I go to watch an independent art house movie, I should expect a couple of Disney cartoons before it so people can bring their kids along?

Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Online JamesG L4

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: August 23, 2014, 07:58:46 pm »
It's obscene to have a mascot - but I can't get enough of arl arses who get into the ground at 2:59pm having a thermo nuclear melt down about something they will never see!!!
---It's just a ride and we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings and money, a choice, right now, between fear and love-- william melvin hicks

Offline artanis

• Legacy Fan
  • It is what it is.
« Reply #155 on: August 23, 2014, 08:02:23 pm »
A few of you deserve a "Get off my lawn" picture.
It's a mascot.
I will only object if he is made to play our defensive midfielder in any of the games, unless it is an early round cup game.

Offline Durlmints

• Kicks Ass. Categorically denies being the now infamous antihero 'Chris from Wavertree'. Maybe he is. Maybe he isn't. Who knows? Henry the Mild Mannered Janitor? COULD BEEEE!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Mané & Salah, your defence is terrified!
« Reply #156 on: August 23, 2014, 08:06:19 pm »
A few of you deserve a "Get off my lawn" picture.
It's a mascot.
I will only object if he is made to play our defensive midfielder in any of the games, unless it is an early round cup game.

Your profile say's your from the US, have you lived there all your life? Have you at any point lived in Liverpool?
Crows attacked a pensioner in Hamburg after she mimicked a crow's call.
You claim a Wagon Wheel is a biscuit and you have the audacity to stick a Kit Kat in goal? You sir are a du

Offline Kopulator

• Main Stander
  • Even the scoreboard's red!
« Reply #157 on: August 23, 2014, 08:13:03 pm »
I think it will be OK if the mascot stays in the end-zone with all the Sousaphone players and doesn't smudge the hash marks.

Offline Defendant

• Main Stander
« Reply #158 on: August 23, 2014, 08:14:04 pm »
Really? You're bringing Santa and the Easter Bunny into it?

I have standards about the 'type' of kids that go to a whole load of things. I don't expect to see very young kids at certain films. I wouldn't expect to see them at the theatre or an opera. I wouldn't expect to see very young kids at a concert.

I wouldn't expect to see very young kids or mascots at Wimbledon for the tennis.

Still maybe you're right. Next time I go to watch an independent art house movie, I should expect a couple of Disney cartoons before it so people can bring their kids along?

Best you keep away from Japanese animated cinema. It may cause you all kinds of confusion.

I reiterate: it's just a mascot.

But I fully support any attempt you make to vet incoming children at the ground.  Perhaps make your own coloured vest for the job. But be careful: Unless you're a very scary fellow I imagine you'd be a couple of kids in before someone turns you into pie filling.

I'll hop off your lawn now. One final piece of advice: Those clouds can't hear you.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 08:16:21 pm by Defendant »

Online Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: August 23, 2014, 08:35:34 pm »
Best you keep away from Japanese animated cinema. It may cause you all kinds of confusion.

I reiterate: it's just a mascot.

But I fully support any attempt you make to vet incoming children at the ground.  Perhaps make your own coloured vest for the job. But be careful: Unless you're a very scary fellow I imagine you'd be a couple of kids in before someone turns you into pie filling.

I'll hop off your lawn now. One final piece of advice: Those clouds can't hear you.

Go to many matches? What's your view on the atmosphere at Anfield and do you think Mighty Red is going to improve it? How does it compare to the Emirates with their chidlrens section full of foam fingers and Gunnersaurus?

I'm sorry if my giving a flying fuck about the club I love upsets you. I suppose you either 'get it' or you don't.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)