Author Topic: Mamadou Sakho  (Read 483934 times)

Offline justsean

• Two goals in his first two minutes of match commentary. Take a bow...
  • Legacy Fan
Mamadou Sakho
« on: January 9, 2014, 11:17:39 am »
Existing thread is locked - so mods, please merge if necessary.

Don't think I've ever seen a player look like he would be out for months and be potentially back so quickly. He was having fucking none of that injury.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/mamadou-sakho-hands-liverpool-fc-6478248

Anyway, he's been looking extremely good when he has played bar one or two wayward passed, and you have to appreciate how young he is. Only 23 years old. He could easily be a mainstay for 7 - 10 years if we have a little bit of luck.

« Last Edit: September 1, 2014, 09:09:34 am by Random Alan #0069 »

Offline helmboy_nige

• A diplomat... except in the face of total morons
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Mamadou Sakho
« Reply #1 on: January 9, 2014, 11:20:22 am »
The echo are often on the money so it's great news. Doubt he would start against Stoke, but just having him close to fitness so soon is going to be vital with a tough January ahead.

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2 on: January 9, 2014, 11:22:08 am »
Timely return seeing as though Agger is out for a month.

Offline SlowRap

• SlowCrapAllOverTheBoards. No longer appealing! Apparently not a bastard. But no denial of being sarcastic and having no clue. Interesting. Fist pumps all the way down the stairs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let freedom reign
« Reply #3 on: January 9, 2014, 11:22:31 am »
Sakho doesn't get injured, injuries get Sakho'd
« Last Edit: January 9, 2014, 11:33:46 am by SnowRap »
"We must turn from doubters into believers" - Jurgen Klopp

I've got a feeling that Origi is the real deal, from a couple of games I watched but mainly his interviews there seems to be something about him.

Offline midnightmark

• Kemlynite
« Reply #4 on: January 9, 2014, 11:26:51 am »
Great news but let's not rush him for this weekend. I'd like to see him back to full fitness for the derby though.

Offline woof

• Barking up the wrong tree.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: January 9, 2014, 11:28:33 am »
Another great piece of news. I reckon we can win all of the next 5 games if we're not hampered by injuries

Online red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #6 on: January 9, 2014, 11:58:10 am »
Sakho doesn't get injured, injuries get Sakho'd

Haha, I like what you did there  ;D

Sakho seems like a good lad too. I don't remember the quotes exactly, but earlier in the season, right after he signed, he was saying things that made it sound like he really wanted to be here and could really plant roots. And he's such a beast that if he plants roots, you can bet they will go deep.
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #7 on: January 9, 2014, 11:59:27 am »
Seems like he's back suspiciously quick.

Especially considering it's alongside Agger being injured.

Hope we're not rushing him back.

Offline carling

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: January 9, 2014, 12:06:31 pm »
Existing thread is locked - so mods, please merge if necessary.

Don't think I've ever seen a player look like he would be out for months and be potentially back so quickly. He was having fucking none of that injury.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/mamadou-sakho-hands-liverpool-fc-6478248

Anyway, he's been looking extremely good when he has played bar one or two wayward passed, and you have to appreciate how young he is. Only 23 years old. He could easily be a mainstay for 7 - 10 years if we have a little bit of luck.

Good news, bit concerned at the comment at the bottom of that link though, sounds serious...

"quite a welcome development but not enough to distract from the imparetiveness of major jan additions. any mistake that denies the club the signature of Salah in this window is surly fatal cos watching him u find out there are a few like him available now."

Offline Glass Kites

• Anny Roader
  • 5x
    • Blog
« Reply #9 on: January 9, 2014, 12:08:20 pm »
I'm not convinced by Sakho at the moment. Looks very nervous with the ball at his feet. Good in the air though.

Everyone seems to be won over by him already, but I just don't see it yet.

Feel much safer seeing Skrtel and Agger in the starting line-up wherever possible.

Offline TheGOAT

• Gruff handbagger
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: January 9, 2014, 12:10:36 pm »
Looks very nervous with the ball at his feet.

That smacks of judging him on a 5 minute spell v City. He's brilliant with the ball.

Offline JTK

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: January 9, 2014, 12:10:40 pm »
I'm not convinced by Sakho at the moment. Looks very nervous with the ball at his feet. Good in the air though.

Feel much safer seeing Skrtel and Agger in the starting line-up wherever possible.

Your fears are unfounded. Apart from a few brief moments he's been so much safer, and better, than the other two.

That smacks of judging him on a 5 minute spell v City. He's brilliant with the ball.

Exactly. It's also like judging Skrtel by the few sliding tackles he does in games to stop shots at the last minute.

Offline Red Reign

• Anny Roader
  • Get Busy Livin' or Get Busy Dyin'.
« Reply #12 on: January 9, 2014, 12:21:29 pm »

He really is brilliant with the ball. He just looks awkward at times.
“Just go out and drop a few hand grenades all over the place son.” - Bill Shankly

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #13 on: January 9, 2014, 12:27:13 pm »
A mate of mine who's a big red reckons hes no good, that he cant hardly stand on his two feet  ::)

I think hes boss, we will improve as hes only young. Could be a rock at the back for years.
“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

Offline Mamadou

• & Ariam. Reads RAWK in strip clubs, but does not post.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: January 9, 2014, 12:32:34 pm »
A mate of mine who's a big red reckons hes no good, that he cant hardly stand on his two feet  ::)

I think hes boss, we will improve as hes only young. Could be a rock at the back for years.

i can stand on my three feet :P

i really want to see Toure-Sakho partnership for once
" Throw me to the wolves and I will return leading the pack"

Offline Gerry83

• Meff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Used to be Jeff, too much crystal
« Reply #15 on: January 9, 2014, 12:34:58 pm »
I agree, he looks nervous at times and hes always looking to play simple passes (which is good) with his left (not always so good). 

I would be interested to see the stats of the games with him vs without him, maybe not necessarily in terms of win/loss but certainly goals conceded.

I'm not sure what the final price tag was but i believe it was 15mil+? He hasn't justified that sort of fee yet but overall hes been good, yet unspectacular.

Offline Bunter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: January 9, 2014, 12:37:11 pm »

He's had a couple of those "mad" 5 minutes though where he couldn't trap or pass a ball. Not saying there's loads but for me he loses composure to often, I'd rather properly judge him on a larger sample of games before declaring the next Desailly.

Offline LFC77

• Kemlynite
  • MAKE US DREAM!
« Reply #17 on: January 9, 2014, 12:37:24 pm »
i really want to see Toure-Sakho partnership for once

So I am not the only one thankfully. As much I love Agger & as good as he is with the ball at his feet he is not a great defender. And the problem with Skrtel is he'll defend brilliantly for 80 odd minutes & then give away a goal or 2. Toure & Sakho are proper defenders - I don't care if they can't pass the ball as well as Agger, a defender must first & foremost be able to defend...

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #18 on: January 9, 2014, 12:39:41 pm »
I'm not convinced by Sakho at the moment. Looks very nervous with the ball at his feet.

See, i'm of the opinion that it's his technique and slightly Traore-esque gait that affords this impression. He just looks a little ungainly, doesn't he? Add that to the fact that he has the confidence to play the kind of (progressive) passes that most centre backs wouldn't even consider (and that occasionally have your heart in your mouth) and it's not difficult to see where this kind of opinion is being derived.

Essentially, he's very different to what we've been used to.

I don't care if they can't pass the ball as well as Agger

I don't agree with that, either. Sakho's distribution has been excellent, in the main.
« Last Edit: January 9, 2014, 12:41:26 pm by Grobbelrevell »
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Offline TheGOAT

• Gruff handbagger
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: January 9, 2014, 12:41:16 pm »
hes always looking to play simple passes

Yer wha?!

Offline Cid

• Licks cuban heeled shoes but doesn't want anyone to know about it.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: January 9, 2014, 12:46:48 pm »
What the fuck is he made of to recover from a hammy that quickly?

I'll tell you what. Nails.

He's one of a collection of players we have now that are fantastic yet run strangely.  Sterling,  Henderson and Sakho in a bleep test would be like John Cleese ministry for silly runs.

Offline Paul JH

• Elmer Fudd. I'm a witch! A WITCH!
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
« Reply #21 on: January 9, 2014, 12:50:37 pm »
Good news, bit concerned at the comment at the bottom of that link though, sounds serious...

"quite a welcome development but not enough to distract from the imparetiveness of major jan additions. any mistake that denies the club the signature of Salah in this window is surly fatal cos watching him u find out there are a few like him available now."

Eh? That's a comment from a member of the public, it means nothing.
Sarcastic Net Pest and Sanctimonious Arse.

Offline Severely

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We go again
« Reply #22 on: January 9, 2014, 12:53:01 pm »
I've said this before but to put this guy into perspective - he's the same age as Coates, but look at the difference. I'm not saying this to put down Seb in any way, but the sheer gulf in development stage should show just what a talent Sakho is.
HERE LIES JOSE MOURINHO

THE BALL WAS OVER THE LINE

R.I.P.

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #23 on: January 9, 2014, 12:55:07 pm »
Im just afraid if he plays against stoke that his hammy will go again. he has recovered strangely early.
“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

Offline Hank Scorpio

• is really a Virgo, three pinter. Royhendo's stalker.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #24 on: January 9, 2014, 01:07:02 pm »
Im just afraid if he plays against stoke that his hammy will go again. he has recovered strangely early.
Could have been just a grade 1 tear?  I'm not going to pretend like I know the medical side in relation to football players but having read some of Welshred's posts it seems like you can recover inside 10 days.

I'm guessing he is not used to those 3 games in a week in December (21st, 26th & 29th).  The injury was sustained at the end of the game on the 29th.

Hopefully he is back for Stoke.  Think we will need him, even more so with Agger being out.

Offline Haggis36

• purveyor of better gifs than trendisnotdestiny
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: January 9, 2014, 01:15:44 pm »
Nervy passer? He has the 8th best pass completion in the entire league. Skrtel is 6th. Agger is 63rd. I admit his technique and the way he generally plays looks a bit awkward but bar a few nervy spells he's generally very good in his passing, certainly the most positive out of all our CBs, including Agger.  Seriously you won't find many CB with his quality at 23 years of age, and if you do they're the players that go for £20m+. It's crazy how good this guy could be for us in years to come.

Offline Hank Scorpio

• is really a Virgo, three pinter. Royhendo's stalker.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #26 on: January 9, 2014, 01:20:04 pm »
He's not a 'nervy' passer.  If anything he is too confident. 

It's how he makes you nervous when passing out of defence.  I think as fans we have that.  But I like the way we play the ball out.  At times, against City, he was our playmaker.

Offline Camarero25

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: January 9, 2014, 01:21:58 pm »

Wtf? He's brilliant on the ball. Yeah he might look a tad awkward but he's actually more effective than any of our other defenders at finding a good forward pass.

He's also a boss defender. Love him. Watching Skrtel and Agger shits me up far more than he does.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: January 9, 2014, 01:29:13 pm »

it really annoying how some are basing this on his crazy 5 minute spell against city. 99% of time hes very very good with the ball at his feet.
« Last Edit: January 9, 2014, 01:32:53 pm by clinical »
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline toomey90

• Boys Pen
« Reply #29 on: January 9, 2014, 01:36:29 pm »
I agree that as a partnership, its Agger and Skrtel every time. However, I think Sakho is top class, will be one of the finest defenders in the league in 12-18months and once settled with a partner, could be a fixture for years to come!

Respect the big fella!!

Offline OperationIvy

• Kopite
« Reply #30 on: January 9, 2014, 01:48:44 pm »
Agree with the majority regarding Sakho's excellent passing.

He often plays balls low through the middle which are so effective for starting attacks.

Offline Cid

• Licks cuban heeled shoes but doesn't want anyone to know about it.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: January 9, 2014, 02:03:52 pm »
He's one of the few centre backs I've seen who can also play a little chipped ball into a midfielder if there's no direct route to pass.

While that says a lot about his bravery and passing technique it also tells you how good his vision is,  which helps him as a defender.

One thing that makes me nervous about him is he loves stepping up and he expects the line to follow.  Skrtel in particular has been slow to step out and create the offside trap and it has led to players running through unmarked.

Offline carling

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: January 9, 2014, 02:12:47 pm »
Eh? That's a comment from a member of the public, it means nothing.

I don't think my sarcasm travelled too well!  Always amazes me some of the bollocks written in article comments.

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #33 on: January 9, 2014, 02:30:47 pm »

He looks nervous. But he is scanning forward for pass options. I'll take the appearance of being nervous along with his ability to find a midfielder with a pass.
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline plskikme

• Kopite
  • What Could Have Been and What Can Be
« Reply #34 on: January 9, 2014, 02:37:56 pm »
I think the way he curls his body when going for those incisive passes also help create the illusion he's uncomfortable on the ball. The only time I see him get a bit uncomfortable is when his left foot's passing lane is blocked off and he is hurried into a right footed pass in field. Nothing that can't be fixed on the training pitch.

Offline RobbieRedman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: January 9, 2014, 02:41:38 pm »
Agree with the majority regarding Sakho's excellent passing.

He often plays balls low through the middle which are so effective for starting attacks.
totally agree, i thnk his passing has been great

Offline DeLeiva

• StanDan
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA -
« Reply #36 on: January 9, 2014, 02:49:00 pm »
Pass percentage is 92% - Average pass length is 18m

And Indeed if you were to judge him on his City and Chelsea performances passing wise
he was down under 90% - the only other game which he was under 90% was our loss
to Southampton

http://www.squawka.com/players/mamadou-sakho#avg.-pass-accuracy#liverpool-(current)#english-barclays-premier-league#8#season-2013/2014#64#all-matches#1-20#accuracy.

The lad is a beast and can pass it with the best of them at the back, love his diagonal ball from the back through the
midfield - Great vision

Offline SMacDougall

• Kopite
« Reply #37 on: January 9, 2014, 02:49:31 pm »
Absolutely love Sakho.

He is a proper beast of a defender. From what I've seen so far, he's been great. The occasional wayward passes due to moments of nervousness can be forgiven, considering his age and the fact he's new here.

For example, look at Koscielny. He was a joke when he arrived at Arsenal. Prone to errors. Now he's easily one of the best central defenders in the League.

I think Sakho can surpass Koscielny.

I'd love to see a partnership of Sakho and Toure. Both beasts, and it would be the right balance of experience, imo. Toure, the veteran defender, looking after the new-comer, Sakho, and helping to mold him into greatness.

Offline Beninger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: January 9, 2014, 02:51:16 pm »
Barring a few moments, he's been very composed on the ball and in his passing.  Instead of booting it when under pressure, he makes the right pass out of defense to start a counter.  He looks clumsy, but that can be deceiving.  He'll make a 15 yard pass to feet almost every time that I've seen.  His nervy moment have far and away been the exception, as far as I'm concerned...

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: January 9, 2014, 02:51:30 pm »
He's not a 'nervy' passer.  If anything he is too confident. 

It's how he makes you nervous when passing out of defence.  I think as fans we have that.  But I like the way we play the ball out.  At times, against City, he was our playmaker.
His gait, gives him that appearance. Both feet are slightly flat footed, and he has a jerky passing motion. It looks nervous, but the passing is actually very accurate.
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.