Author Topic: Joe Allen  (Read 302901 times)

Offline Bergersrightwingviews

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Joseph Michael Allen
« Reply #200 on: December 8, 2013, 06:14:33 pm »
I think he has it in him to be a very important player for us. I still think he is going to be up and down for a while, but once he establishes himself we may be back on track for death by football. He seems like a nice, hard-working young man so I hop he gets to reach his potential here.
Roger Scruton was right about everything.

Offline houkura

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #201 on: December 8, 2013, 06:36:29 pm »
When I click on play I just get a blank screen with the commentary. Anyone know why?

Probably need to restart your computer. The player could have crashed.
"Good to be here, good to be anywhere."  --Keith Richards

Offline Haggis36

• purveyor of better gifs than trendisnotdestiny
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #202 on: December 8, 2013, 06:38:28 pm »
His movement right after he has passed the ball is far superior to any other midfielder we have and it's something we've been sorely lacking. You watch a team like Arsenal who are very strong in midfield and the second any of their players lay off the ball they're on their bike looking for a pocket of space to receive it back, and they don't stop moving till they find it. In contrast our midfield has been incredibly static for long periods this season, and it puts a huge amount of pressure on our full-backs and strikers to receive the ball in really tight situations and makes it harder for us to move up the pitch.

He's just such an intelligent footballer and I really hope he follows up the promising signs of the last few games and recaptures his form of last season. He's bound to still be a bit rusty as he's played what, two full games for us since returning from injury? I think he's the closest thing to the type of midfielder Rodgers will want going forward, and he's still very young. The fee was undoubtedly too high but I'm really very glad we've got him.

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #203 on: December 8, 2013, 07:09:16 pm »
His movement right after he has passed the ball is far superior to any other midfielder we have and it's something we've been sorely lacking. You watch a team like Arsenal who are very strong in midfield and the second any of their players lay off the ball they're on their bike looking for a pocket of space to receive it back, and they don't stop moving till they find it. In contrast our midfield has been incredibly static for long periods this season, and it puts a huge amount of pressure on our full-backs and strikers to receive the ball in really tight situations and makes it harder for us to move up the pitch.

He's just such an intelligent footballer and I really hope he follows up the promising signs of the last few games and recaptures his form of last season. He's bound to still be a bit rusty as he's played what, two full games for us since returning from injury? I think he's the closest thing to the type of midfielder Rodgers will want going forward, and he's still very young. The fee was undoubtedly too high but I'm really very glad we've got him.

His movement off the ball is great, and it's something our team lacks, in my opinion. In the Hull game the off the ball movement was particularly atrocious.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline rscanderlech

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: December 8, 2013, 07:12:56 pm »

Good point. It is for this reason, that, rather than a Victor Moses type, I'd like to see us sign a player of the mould of Allen or these Arsenal guys, but higher up the pitch than Allen. They open up so much space with their constant movement.

Offline Halcyon Lissome

• Scallion Homeys, Miscellany Shoo or Nicholas Mosely?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • “We murdered them 0-0.”
« Reply #205 on: December 8, 2013, 07:17:04 pm »
Good point. It is for this reason, that, rather than a Victor Moses type, I'd like to see us sign a player of the mould of Allen or these Arsenal guys, but higher up the pitch than Allen. They open up so much space with their constant movement.

Basically, another Coutinho ;).

I think Rodgers was trying to do that with Willian. I'm hopeful he has someone very good in that mould. And because I think we'll get him (we're gonna spend the money in Jan) I can't wait for the next transfer window.
★              ★              ★              ★              ★
The best there is, the best there was, the best there ever will be.

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: December 8, 2013, 07:19:23 pm »

Well said, a big fan of him, and he's definitely one of the most aware players to play for us in recent years, 1 touch to receive / turn, sometimes simultaneouly, 2nd touch moves it on. Resting Lucas or Gerrard from time to time for Allen or Hendo to play centrally is a long overdue move, perhaps even sign a centre midfielder in January when we possibly trade in a centre back.

Offline robgreen91

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #207 on: December 8, 2013, 07:26:47 pm »
that no-look, fake shot pass at the end of the WH game  ::)

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #208 on: December 8, 2013, 07:40:09 pm »
that no-look, fake shot pass at the end of the WH game  ::)

That was brilliant, he put the perfect weight on it for Kelly. 

Offline RedGlen

• Main Stander
« Reply #209 on: December 8, 2013, 10:41:37 pm »
I think a fit Allen on top form could step up to run our midfield, there's no shame in saying he's much quicker and better at controlling the game than Gerrard, it remains to be seen if he can turn it on against the bigger sides, but its great seeing him strut his stuff against Norwich and West Ham - Various posters have described him as being a "controller" and I think that's spot on. He can dictate tempo and play with his accurate passing and his ability to create space for himself - something that our other mid-fielder's simply don't do enough, one of our main problems at the moment is the lack of midfield control, if you want pinpoint balls to the wings and strikers, and pull your team out of trouble when they need it, then Gerrards your man, but if you want someone to keep the ball well, and control the midfield with pressing, off the ball play and intelligent distribution, then you need someone like Joe Allen, as that isn't really Gerrards skillset, as good a player as he might be. I don't feel Lucas has been the same player as before he was injured. Allen might not be the whole answer to our midfield woes, but he can certainly go some way to regaining a measure of control in our midfield.
01010011 01100001 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000001 01101100 01100010 01100001 00100001 00100000

Offline LFCTikiTaka

• Bedwetter
  • Kopite
« Reply #210 on: December 8, 2013, 11:10:10 pm »
I think a fit Allen on top form could step up to run our midfield, there's no shame in saying he's much quicker and better at controlling the game than Gerrard, it remains to be seen if he can turn it on against the bigger sides, but its great seeing him strut his stuff against Norwich and West Ham - Various posters have described him as being a "controller" and I think that's spot on. He can dictate tempo and play with his accurate passing and his ability to create space for himself - something that our other mid-fielder's simply don't do enough, one of our main problems at the moment is the lack of midfield control, if you want pinpoint balls to the wings and strikers, and pull your team out of trouble when they need it, then Gerrards your man, but if you want someone to keep the ball well, and control the midfield with pressing, off the ball play and intelligent distribution, then you need someone like Joe Allen, as that isn't really Gerrards skillset, as good a player as he might be. I don't feel Lucas has been the same player as before he was injured. Allen might not be the whole answer to our midfield woes, but he can certainly go some way to regaining a measure of control in our midfield.

Agree with this, and in the tricky away games we have coming up it's important that when we do have the ball we don't give it away cheaply. Our off the ball play will also be extremely important in the games coming up, and you'd think a more mobile and quicker midfield would be better suited to deal with the dynamism of Spurs and City's midfield and attackers.

Offline redprodigal

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I miss you Digger, even more than Peter Thommo
« Reply #211 on: December 8, 2013, 11:20:34 pm »
Probably need to restart your computer. The player could have crashed.

Nope, same again today.

Offline elpistolero7

• Biggest waste of space in history.
  • Legacy Fan
  • What's in a name anyway? No, I'm not bitter.
« Reply #212 on: December 9, 2013, 10:30:23 am »

Excellent post, this. I hadn't thought of this aspect of his game but now that you mention it, it strikes as something he's very good at.

He always plays with his head up, has a decent dribble on him as well, and I can see him take this opportunity over the next few weeks of guaranteed starts (which has sadly come via the captain's injury) and make himself a crucial player. I clearly remember the Joe Allen of August-December last year. Was our second best player after Suarez, but people forgot about that cause the lad did his shoulder and had a few bad games. He's boss.
What belongs to you, but is used by others?

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #213 on: December 9, 2013, 10:31:52 am »

Pass and move aye

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: December 9, 2013, 10:40:18 am »
Hopefully he can step up and help us improve our midfield. We've been poor, sometimes atrocious, when on the back foot as a team, and I think that stems from midfield and that dynamic between Gerrard and Lucas when they're defending.

We've had poor away results due to this. But now, even though it's an enforced change, it still requires someone to step up and make sure we don't miss our captain. We're going into our 3 toughest games in the season, with a couple of easy wins at home. On paper.

I'd have liked to have seen him alongside Gerrard, Lucas and Henderson in those away games though, although I doubt Rodgers would have done that.
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline sattapaartridge

• The new 'pete price' of RAWK.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @sattapaal
« Reply #215 on: December 9, 2013, 11:41:48 am »
"HE PLAYS TOO MANY SIDEWARDS PASSES!"

One thing you cant call him though is "static". Its very simple what he does, shows for a pass, makes himself available in spaces, and works the angles. To do this, he runs a lot, provides energy, moves the ball quickly and quietly. I think he allowed Henderson, Gerrard and Coutinho to play.

Will be interesting now, that Gerrard is out, how he'll play with Lucas, because Lucas hardly leaves his post in DM. Lucas might be forced to leave his post, and provide movement, press higher. I think Sahko and Allen allow you to do that.
did you know that 10 x 2 and 11 x 2 have the same answer?

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #216 on: December 9, 2013, 12:18:37 pm »

I was looking at the passing of Allen vs Lucas from their last two homes games, similar score lines and similar level of opposition.

Lucas vs Fulham (4-0)

Lucas vs WBA (4-1)

Allen vs Norwich (5-1)

Allen vs West Ham (4-1 I have limited this to when Gerrard was substituted and Allen moved further forward)

I thought it was interesting how Lucas appears to favour the middle and right hand side of the pitch while Allen is spread more evenly over the whole pitch. I thought this tied in quite nice with the fact that Allen always appears to be on the move and ready to receive a pass.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline robgomm

• He just can't get enough of Luis Suarez.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: December 9, 2013, 12:21:51 pm »
What was Allen's passing like pre-Gerrard going off?

Interesting to see it seems to have tightened up after the Norwich game, just one game taking some rust off him.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #218 on: December 9, 2013, 12:24:53 pm »
What was Allen's passing like pre-Gerrard going off?

Interesting to see it seems to have tightened up after the Norwich game, just one game taking some rust off him.
21/22 after Gerrard went off plus to chances created.
« Last Edit: December 9, 2013, 12:27:52 pm by Funky_Gibbons »
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline iRed

• Kopite
« Reply #219 on: December 9, 2013, 12:26:20 pm »
I thought it was interesting how Lucas appears to favour the middle and right hand side of the pitch while Allen is spread more evenly over the whole pitch. I thought this tied in quite nice with the fact that Allen always appears to be on the move and ready to receive a pass.
Perhaps you're over-thinking this one just a bit, mate?

In Lucas' mind it's probably quite simple: pass to Glen Johnson or pass to Jon Flanagan?

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #220 on: December 9, 2013, 12:30:23 pm »
Perhaps you're over-thinking this one just a bit, mate?

In Lucas' mind it's probably quite simple: pass to Glen Johnson or pass to Jon Flanagan?
Yeah I had considered who was at full back but Allen had Flanagan in both his matches while Lucas had  Cissokho both games and Enrique after an hour against Fulham.

Offline Aaron Rattray1

• Almost a new record in rEceiving the pOsting bEfore tHinking aWard. needs to get a shift on.
  • Anny Roader
  • Grimsby town and Liverpool fan
« Reply #221 on: December 9, 2013, 12:30:47 pm »
I think i echo what others say aswell, he certainly makes himself available when he does pass the ball and this goes unnoticed by some, I've never doubted joe and now hes hopefully proving some people wrong

Offline decky

• Legacy Fan
  • DOYA
    • I play in a band you know
« Reply #222 on: December 9, 2013, 01:01:59 pm »
I think i echo what others say aswell, he certainly makes himself available when he does pass the ball and this goes unnoticed by some, I've never doubted joe and now hes hopefully proving some people wrong

Big test for him coming over the next few games. In one way I'm glad he'll be playing for the many reasons stated on here. We'll miss Gerrard's delivery though on crosses and set pieces

Offline TheDarkKnight

• Anny Roader
  • Brendan Rodgers' Tricky Reds
« Reply #223 on: December 9, 2013, 08:13:01 pm »
I'm convinced that the people who say players like Joe Allen are 'pointless because all they do is pass BACKWARDS YO' are quite thick to be honest.

Anyone who has played the game of football, especially in central midfield, should be all too aware that it is the job of the midfielder to make themselves available for a pass as much as possible, create angles, take pressure off defenders by taking the ball up the pitch at times and yeah, pass the ball backwards and sideways sometimes to maintain possession. There are some people who genuinely seem to think that players like Allen pass a ball behind or to the side and literally feck all else. Now I know we didn't have a good first few months results-wise in 2012/13 but we regularly controlled games (including against the previous season's top two- Man City and Man United) during that period and that was largely down to Allen. He was so important because of his ability to receive the ball in all areas and keep it for us, or open space up for a pass to be made to a teammate with his impressive movement. The end to his excellent form was sudden, it may have been Chelsea away in November where he had a nightmare. I don't know if he had his shoulder problem at that point or not but he then started to lose confidence and looked half the player as a result.

In the last two games, especially the West Ham one, he has looked close to his best in my opinion. He's been intelligent with and without the ball and has contributed defensively with his pressing and interceptions. There is still plenty the lad can improve on, he's likely to have more attacking responsibility bestowed upon him while alongside Lucas in Gerrard's absence so it's important he provides more of those ten-yard dribbles to take us up the pitch and relieve pressure in the tougher games. If he can also become more of a goal threat and add more incisive passes in his more offensive role then we could see the (re)making of him as a Liverpool player.

Offline MrLil8

• not good enough
  • Kopite
  • Super Title: BANNED
« Reply #224 on: December 9, 2013, 08:29:43 pm »
I'm convinced that the people who say players like Joe Allen are 'pointless because all they do is pass BACKWARDS YO' are quite thick to be honest.

Anyone who has played the game of football, especially in central midfield, should be all too aware that it is the job of the midfielder to make themselves available for a pass as much as possible, create angles, take pressure off defenders by taking the ball up the pitch at times and yeah, pass the ball backwards and sideways sometimes to maintain possession. There are some people who genuinely seem to think that players like Allen pass a ball behind or to the side and literally feck all else. Now I know we didn't have a good first few months results-wise in 2012/13 but we regularly controlled games (including against the previous season's top two- Man City and Man United) during that period and that was largely down to Allen. He was so important because of his ability to receive the ball in all areas and keep it for us, or open space up for a pass to be made to a teammate with his impressive movement. The end to his excellent form was sudden, it may have been Chelsea away in November where he had a nightmare. I don't know if he had his shoulder problem at that point or not but he then started to lose confidence and looked half the player as a result.

In the last two games, especially the West Ham one, he has looked close to his best in my opinion. He's been intelligent with and without the ball and has contributed defensively with his pressing and interceptions. There is still plenty the lad can improve on, he's likely to have more attacking responsibility bestowed upon him while alongside Lucas in Gerrard's absence so it's important he provides more of those ten-yard dribbles to take us up the pitch and relieve pressure in the tougher games. If he can also become more of a goal threat and add more incisive passes in his more offensive role then we could see the (re)making of him as a Liverpool player.

Joe is a fabulous footballer, a "footballers, footballer". Those who don't appreciate him, may not be thick. It's just they probably haven't played the game to a decent standard.

Those who say he is useless, and just passes it backwards/sideways etc, last played the game with jumpers for goalposts and Rockford on their feet.
YNWA

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #225 on: December 9, 2013, 08:31:30 pm »
Joe is a fabulous footballer, a "footballers, footballer". Those who don't appreciate him, may not be thick. It's just they probably haven't played the game to a decent standard.

Those who say he is useless, and just passes it backwards/sideways etc, last played the game with jumpers for goalposts and Rockford on their feet.

I'm not sure that's fair on them. I'm utterly convinced Suarez and Coutinho still do this :D
Better looking than Samie.

Offline MrLil8

• not good enough
  • Kopite
  • Super Title: BANNED
« Reply #226 on: December 9, 2013, 08:32:31 pm »
I'm not sure that's fair on them. I'm utterly convinced Suarez and Coutinho still do this :D

;D 1 v 1, to the death.

YNWA

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: December 10, 2013, 01:57:34 am »
Well he's come into form at the right time as we definitely need him to perform.

Lucas should be well rested too.

Offline -Daws-

• Legacy Fan
  • No longer a teenage Rafa, still no goatee.
« Reply #228 on: December 10, 2013, 06:29:42 pm »
Well he's come into form at the right time as we definitely need him to perform.

Lucas should be well rested too.

They're gunna be a great partnership, for sure.
It's hard enough remembering my opinions without remembering my reasons for them.

Offline jDJ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: December 10, 2013, 07:42:21 pm »
Found it baffling how the below par performances of Stevie and Lucas were somehow used as a stick to beat Joe Allen with.  Something along the lines of Lucas and Stevie may be struggling but they're still our best option in midfield - what does that say about the rest of the squad.  Far from becoming a better player through not playing, as was soemtimes the accusation, Joe Allen seemingly proved he wasn't good enough for us because he had the temerity to not be picked by the manager after a long injury.  The fact is, in a Brendan Rodgers team, Joe Allen is our most effective midfielder and should be one of the first names on the teamsheet.  Quite aside from signing someone in January to play alongside Lucas and Stevie, those two should be worried we'll be signing someone in January to play alongside Joe.

No, he's not as good as Xavi obviously.  Xavi will go down as one of the greatest ever.  But he's about the closest thing we've got and one of the closest, purely in terms of style and not ability, there is in the league.  There's other technically sound players like Cazorla, Ozil, Silva, Mata, etc but nearly all of them are more comfortable and more effective playing further forward unlike Allen and Xavi who play a slightly deeper role.  I was completely sold on the lad in the Olympics.  He's just a very good footballer and I love watching him go about his business. 

He was absolutely class when Stevie went off at the weekend and his through balls are actually often better weighted than Coutinho.  He's certainly more consistent I think as Coutinho can sometimes have complete off days for some reason.  Coutinho's capable of the one off spectacular though which Joe probably doesn't have in his locker.

All that said, home against West Ham and Norwich really isn't going to be a great strain on your central midfield.  With Stevie out and away games at Spurs, City and Chelsea coming up he's got a great opportunity to prove he really belongs at this level.

Offline SlowRap

• SlowCrapAllOverTheBoards. No longer appealing! Apparently not a bastard. But no denial of being sarcastic and having no clue. Interesting. Fist pumps all the way down the stairs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let freedom reign
« Reply #230 on: December 10, 2013, 08:05:43 pm »
"We must turn from doubters into believers" - Jurgen Klopp

I've got a feeling that Origi is the real deal, from a couple of games I watched but mainly his interviews there seems to be something about him.

Offline Macedonian Red Reborn

• Self-professed wool
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: December 10, 2013, 08:07:51 pm »

Joe Allen won't get a better chance to justify the £15 million price tag and secure his long term future at LFC.
"If I wanted you to understand, I'd have explained it better" Johan Cruyff

Offline Halcyon Lissome

• Scallion Homeys, Miscellany Shoo or Nicholas Mosely?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • “We murdered them 0-0.”
« Reply #232 on: December 10, 2013, 08:15:28 pm »
Found it baffling how the below par performances of Stevie and Lucas were somehow used as a stick to beat Joe Allen with.  Something along the lines of Lucas and Stevie may be struggling but they're still our best option in midfield - what does that say about the rest of the squad.  Far from becoming a better player through not playing, as was soemtimes the accusation, Joe Allen seemingly proved he wasn't good enough for us because he had the temerity to not be picked by the manager after a long injury.  The fact is, in a Brendan Rodgers team, Joe Allen is our most effective midfielder and should be one of the first names on the teamsheet. Quite aside from signing someone in January to play alongside Lucas and Stevie, those two should be worried we'll be signing someone in January to play alongside Joe.

LOL, what?

Lucas and Gerrard are part of the reason we're currently sitting in 2nd place. Hyperbole to the extreme. Joe's a good player, but if there is anyone needing to prove something in this month, going into January, it's Joe. Not Gerrard, not Lucas and not even Henderson.
★              ★              ★              ★              ★
The best there is, the best there was, the best there ever will be.

Offline heylookitsjacob

• 's Cream Crackers
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #233 on: December 10, 2013, 08:23:15 pm »
LOL, what?

Lucas and Gerrard are part of the reason we're currently sitting in 2nd place. Hyperbole to the extreme. Joe's a good player, but if there is anyone needing to prove something in this month, going into January, it's Joe. Not Gerrard, not Lucas and not even Henderson.

I agree with this.

Thought Allen had a good shift against West Ham.  I really like Allen, so I hope he shows us how good he is this month with the next few games.  Gotta credit the starting XI and BR for our 2nd place so far, which includes gerrard lucas and henderson (and skrtl!).

Offline -Daws-

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: December 10, 2013, 08:32:09 pm »
LOL, what?

A part of the reason yes, but the biggest contributing factor to our success is the front two. Any functional midfield that can give them the ball regularly and we would score lots of goals. Some would argue that defensively they could have been better and they haven't contributed goals. I am certainly not one that thinks this is the be all and end all but I'd also say that we could have played with a number of other teams midfields in our side and still be roughly where we are.
It's hard enough remembering my opinions without remembering my reasons for them.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #235 on: December 10, 2013, 08:33:23 pm »
A part of the reason yes, but the biggest contributing factor to our success is the front two. Any functional midfield that can give them the ball regularly and we would score lots of goals. Some would argue that defensively they could have been better and they haven't contributed goals. I am certainly not one that thinks this is the be end and end all but I'd also say that we could have played with a number of other teams midfields in our side and still be roughly where we are.
Is correct.

Offline heylookitsjacob

• 's Cream Crackers
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #236 on: December 10, 2013, 08:37:55 pm »
A part of the reason yes, but the biggest contributing factor to our success is the front two. Any functional midfield that can give them the ball regularly and we would score lots of goals. Some would argue that defensively they could have been better and they haven't contributed goals. I am certainly not one that thinks this is the be all and end all but I'd also say that we could have played with a number of other teams midfields in our side and still be roughly where we are.

I find this line of thinking a bit disheartening, however true it may possibly be. Based on what you are saying, I suppose you could say the same thing about Liverpool's defense?

Offline -Daws-

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: December 10, 2013, 08:44:32 pm »
I find this line of thinking a bit disheartening, however true it may possibly be. Based on what you are saying, I suppose you could say the same thing about Liverpool's defense?

Me too. I've grown up idolizing Steven Gerrard, and I was one of very few on here defending Lucas back when he was getting peristent stick, but when I take a step back from the emotion of it all I can see two great tectonic plates shifting away from one another.

Individually, they both have masses of ability to offer, however as a pair they just dont look compatable against sides that will press us. Allen will help a lot with this though, due to the pace he moves the ball, his quick reactions and agility.

Offline jDJ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #238 on: December 10, 2013, 09:32:07 pm »
Lucas and Gerrard are part of the reason we're currently sitting in 2nd place.

We're second and they've played most of the games so it's difficult to dispute that but I personally don't think either is having an especially good season.  Our midfield has really struggled this season.  Both have had their moments but they've been very ordinary for the most part.  The midfield has looked improved when Henderson's made up a midfield three.  It's less about their performances though and more about the overall balance.  We've been crying out for a proper disciplined playmaker.  All Joe Allen wants to do is make himself available, brings teammates into play and then press and hustle for the ball when we don't have it.  He's been a breath fresh air since coming back.  He was pretty good until 'that' miss against Everton and has mightily impressed every other opportunity he's got.

Joe Allen has still got a lot to prove but he's playing like someone who knows it.  Big few games coming up for the lad admittedly, but I think our midfield has looked a better functioning machine when he's been in it.

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #239 on: December 10, 2013, 10:28:17 pm »
LOL, what?

part of the reason, but Sturridge and Luis have been the 2 major reasons.

I do think our midfield needs the flexibility and fluidity that Joe brings. Most recognise our midfield is our week link, so assuming that Ste, Lucas and Hendo are a good fit are a little off the mark.

They all have their strengths and weaknesses, but it's Joe's strengths (possession, distribution, movement) which fit Brendan's philosophy the most.

These next few weeks sure will be interesting.