Author Topic: Simon Mignolet  (Read 325820 times)

Offline The Infamous_LFC

• Doubting Thommo.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Simon Mignolet
« Reply #4080 on: September 2, 2014, 03:41:22 am »
I think the keeper should be in position number 3. My logic is the attacker is coming from the left so will be most likely trying to put it in the far right hand side. Keepers might be weaker on the left side so could close the angle down making it harder for the attacker to bend it in the far right hand corner of the goal. But that obviously makes them more liable to concede in the near post so my choice is probably wrong :p

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #4081 on: September 2, 2014, 03:45:52 am »
I'm back! Soz for getting a bit worked up.

Anyway, #1 is the correct answer (assuming loads) but the keeper should be slightly to the right  in the diagram. If he has a preference for a certain side, then fine: open that side up a bit. Otherwise, give yourself equal chance on both sides.

Bloody hell, Joe, that was so long ago I've forgotten about it haha.

Not to worry. You clearly know your stuff, and Mignolet must have been reading this thread, because he kept a clean sheet :D
Better looking than Samie.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4082 on: September 2, 2014, 03:46:42 am »
I think the keeper should be in position number 3. My logic is the attacker is coming from the left so will be most likely trying to put it in the far right hand side. Keepers might be weaker on the left side so could close the angle down making it harder for the attacker to bend it in the far right hand corner of the goal. But that obviously makes them more liable to concede in the near post so my choice is probably wrong :p

1 is the correct answer because it makes the angle and the goal smaller, and gives him an equal chance of getting to the ball on both sides, as Joe says.

Offline The Infamous_LFC

• Doubting Thommo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4083 on: September 2, 2014, 03:53:10 am »
1 is the correct answer because it makes the angle and the goal smaller, and gives him an equal chance of getting to the ball on both sides, as Joe says.
Makes sense but I can still see someone like Sterling or Schurrle cutting from the left and just curling it in the far right ;D

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4084 on: September 2, 2014, 03:54:33 am »
Makes sense but I can still see someone like Sterling or Schurrle cutting from the left and just curling it in the far right ;D

The idea is not to prevent all shots. It's to make the shots harder. It doesn't matter what position you take up when you're faced with Maradona, Pele or Sterling. But you have to get the right position anyway, to give yourself the best chance to make a difference.

Offline Joe_Harrison100

• Kemlynite
« Reply #4085 on: September 2, 2014, 03:58:41 am »
Bloody hell, Joe, that was so long ago I've forgotten about it haha.

Not to worry. You clearly know your stuff, and Mignolet must have been reading this thread, because he kept a clean sheet :D

Haha! Sorry about my language. There's nothing more likely to set me off than people talking about what goalkeepers should do. One touchy fucker me.

Offline The Infamous_LFC

• Doubting Thommo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4086 on: September 2, 2014, 03:58:47 am »
The idea is not to prevent all shots. It's to make the shots harder. It doesn't matter what position you take up when you're faced with Maradona, Pele or Sterling. But you have to get the right position anyway, to give yourself the best chance to make a difference.
Very true

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4087 on: September 2, 2014, 04:03:19 am »
Haha! Sorry about my language. There's nothing more likely to set me off than people talking about what goalkeepers should do. One touchy fucker me.

As long as you're touching the ball around the post, that's the important thing :D

Offline Xanderzone

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4088 on: September 3, 2014, 02:33:16 am »
Sounds like Valdes will be coming in the next few weeks.

That will be real pressure on Mignolet.

Offline MolbyLovesGravlax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4089 on: September 3, 2014, 02:38:40 am »
Sounds like Valdes will be coming in the next few weeks.

That will be real pressure on Mignolet.

But it is reported he is coming in on a one season contract. I think we are using him as an experienced backup and he is using us as a way to get fit and put himself in the window for a big money contract the following season, the way he expected to get one from Monaco this season.
I don't think there is any plan for him to really usurp the long term number one spot from Mignolet.
Of course that won't stop half of RAWK slagging of Mignolet for all sorts of imagined deficiencies.
"This is Anfield, this is what they do." Thomas Tuchel

@dgljones

Offline Xanderzone

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4090 on: September 3, 2014, 02:47:48 am »
Of course that won't stop half of RAWK slagging of Mignolet for all sorts of imagined deficiencies.

I think that's a bit unfair.

I think a lot of the concerns about Mignolet have been legitimate. We all can see that he's a brilliant shotstopper but to be a goalkeeper at a big club like Liverpool you need to be more than just a shotstopper. You can get away with that at Sunderland, you won't at Liverpool.

And I think Mignolet has it all to prove yet.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4091 on: September 3, 2014, 02:50:38 am »
Would training with someone like Valdes have any impact on Mig's game? I suppose if he is coming in short-term as back-up while he gets in the best shape like the above post suggests, he might be more partial to helping him improve.

That sounds incredibly condescending towards Mig haha. Just curious.

Offline gloves

• Anny Roader
« Reply #4092 on: September 3, 2014, 03:06:00 am »
I suppose at a big club you would have to accept there will be competition. How Mignolet is affected is more to do with his personality I guess. Wasn't he competing with Craig Gordon at Sunderland or did he just get his chance there because of Gordon's injury?

Honestly I've not really watched Valdez play a lot so I couldn't even say how good he was on crosses / corners / free kicks whipped into the box for example. I know he used to have a reputation for mistakes but by all accounts that hasn't been the case for the last 5 seasons or so. I think he's supposed to be good and comfortable with his feet though coming from Barca and all that.

Offline Americaner...

• More American than other, ordinary Americans.
  • Kopite
  • I dream in red and white
« Reply #4093 on: September 3, 2014, 03:24:30 am »
I think if you are looking to give Mignolet confidence, signing another top keeper is the last thing you do.

Any idea how expensive Valdes would be? Or why he wanted out of Barca in the first place?

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #4094 on: September 3, 2014, 03:40:57 am »
That sounds incredibly condescending towards Mig haha. Just curious.
Won't be. Simon's a better shot stopper than Victor, vice versa on ball control and distribution.
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline The Batman.

• Kopite
  • I'm Batman...
« Reply #4095 on: September 4, 2014, 04:57:07 pm »
So Tony Evans giving him both barrels again. Saying everyone at the club arent impressed by him at all.

“It’s everything. For the people of Liverpool, football is a way of life. For many other cites or countries it’s a sport and it’s a pastime but football here is a way of life”

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4096 on: September 4, 2014, 04:59:19 pm »
So Tony Evans giving him both barrels again. Saying everyone at the club arent impressed by him at all.

Where?
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline The Batman.

• Kopite
  • I'm Batman...
« Reply #4097 on: September 4, 2014, 05:04:24 pm »
Where?

Tony Evans on #Valdes: "He's a free agent and coming back from injury. #LFC looking for a better keeper " 1/3

Evans: "#LFC have not been impressed with Mignolet. They would like one who commands his area, directs the defence & distributes better 2/3

Evans: " The lack of confidence in the keeper runs throughout the club" #Mignolet #LFC 3/3
“It’s everything. For the people of Liverpool, football is a way of life. For many other cites or countries it’s a sport and it’s a pastime but football here is a way of life”

Offline Butter Keks

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4098 on: September 4, 2014, 05:19:57 pm »

Evans is guilty of passing off his own personal opinions and assumptions as facts.

Offline The Infamous_LFC

• Doubting Thommo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4099 on: September 4, 2014, 05:26:13 pm »
Tony Evans is a c*nt. First Can now Mig. He needs to shut up and stop gossiping.

Online Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4100 on: September 4, 2014, 05:27:24 pm »
Tony Evans is a c*nt. First Can now Mig. He needs to shut up and stop gossiping.

He's even worse after he's had a beer. 
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4101 on: September 4, 2014, 05:27:42 pm »
Evans is guilty of passing off his own personal opinions and assumptions as facts.

Find it odd that Evans gets so much stick and Barrett gets so much trust when they'll pretty much receive the same info.

Who do people think Evans gets this stuff from if not Barrett?

Offline robgomm

• He just can't get enough of Luis Suarez.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4102 on: September 4, 2014, 05:31:37 pm »
I don't know where he gets his info but if nobody has confidence in Mignolet he's got no chance of improving. It just sounds over the top to me, not that there won't be similar doubts to some on here but "through the club"? What, does the tea lady think he's shite too?

Offline ollick

• Huge Dick..and a Big Knob too!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Arghhhh
« Reply #4103 on: September 4, 2014, 05:34:29 pm »
Find it odd that Evans gets so much stick and Barrett gets so much trust when they'll pretty much receive the same info.

He runs his own agenda as 'fact'
Why do people quote other people for the sigs?  What' the point?

Offline Cpt_Reina

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4104 on: September 4, 2014, 05:35:06 pm »
I don't know where he gets his info but if nobody has confidence in Mignolet he's got no chance of improving. It just sounds over the top to me, not that there won't be similar doubts to some on here but "through the club"? What, does the tea lady think he's shite too?

Throughout the coaching staff, the playing staff, the execs...probably.

Not exactly going out on a limb on this one though is he considering our pursuit of Valdes.

Offline ollick

• Huge Dick..and a Big Knob too!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Arghhhh
« Reply #4105 on: September 4, 2014, 05:35:54 pm »

Makes you wonder what the club must have thought of Reina then, if they have so little confidence in Mignolet yet let Reina got for relative pittance (granted his wage drain was taken into account)

Hence why it's more than likely bollocks from Evans.
Why do people quote other people for the sigs?  What' the point?

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #4106 on: September 4, 2014, 05:36:19 pm »

Nail, head etc.

The only reason people are angry is because of the turn of phrase used.

We all know their are problems with migs commanding his area and coming off his line, that's all he's alluding to.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Butter Keks

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4107 on: September 4, 2014, 05:36:39 pm »

They very well may get their information from the same source but the amount of shite and opinion that Evans mixes in makes anything he says hard to take at face value. Wasn't long ago Evans was on some footy show telling everybody that Rodgers didn't want Sturridge and FSG forced the move.

Offline The Infamous_LFC

• Doubting Thommo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4108 on: September 4, 2014, 05:38:28 pm »
What has Barrett said thats as bad as Evans constant slagging of our players?

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #4109 on: September 4, 2014, 05:40:22 pm »

Difference is Barrett rarely spills stuff that is just "the club think this person isn't good enough" or whaterver. Barrett usually just reports facts about players or club deals.

Evans seems to just spend all his time putting forward his own opinions.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline TheUSSR

• Anny Roader
  • Trotyovskyi, CCCP GangWarfare, TSAR
« Reply #4110 on: September 4, 2014, 05:43:26 pm »
Tony Evans is much like Adrian Durham. Says controversial nonsense to attract people to the News/Radio. He probably doesn't have a 'source'.
Lazar Marković, Čačak, Federal Republic of Yugoslavia

Offline Cpt_Reina

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4111 on: September 4, 2014, 05:44:08 pm »
Difference is Barrett rarely spills stuff that is just "the club think this person isn't good enough" or whaterver. Barrett usually just reports facts about players or club deals.

Evans seems to just spend all his time putting forward his own opinions.

That's because Barrett is a reporter and Evans isnt.

Barrett's got contacts and more of a reputation of impartiality to maintain than Evans does, of course he doesnt go wading in like Evans does.

Offline rob1408

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4112 on: September 4, 2014, 05:44:30 pm »
What has Barrett said thats as bad as Evans constant slagging of our players?
Or as ridiculous as saying Paul Lambert will be a better manager than Rodgers ?

Offline robgomm

• He just can't get enough of Luis Suarez.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4113 on: September 4, 2014, 05:44:58 pm »
Nail, head etc.

The only reason people are angry is because of the turn of phrase used.

We all know their are problems with migs commanding his area and coming off his line, that's all he's alluding to.

Someone asked him whether the 08-09 or 13-14 team was better and he said 09 would win three out of 5 because of defence and Gerrard at peak, "Suarez would win the other two". He also said Torres would've been too selfish to play with Suarez.

The problem isn't that he's totally wrong it is exactly his hyperbolic, judgemental turns of phrase. "Suarez would win the other two" is a knock on the rest of the team, Torres too selfish? Nah. People might have doubts about Mig or have had a question about Can but I would wage that he largely imports his own turns of phrase that make everything seem a bit more blunt and less nuanced than reality.

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #4114 on: September 4, 2014, 05:46:23 pm »
That's because Barrett is a reporter and Evans isnt.

Barrett's got contacts and more of a reputation of impartiality to maintain than Evans does, of course he doesnt go wading in like Evans does.

I don't believe Evans gets fed the same info as Barrett anyway.

Also, opinions like this is why he get's abuse:

Or as ridiculous as saying Paul Lambert will be a better manager than Rodgers ?
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Cpt_Reina

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4115 on: September 4, 2014, 05:49:06 pm »
I don't believe Evans gets fed the same info as Barrett anyway.

Also, opinions like this is why he get's abuse:

Barrett works under him! Of course he gets the same info. Its essentially Barrett's job to give him that info.

The opinion is obviously bollocks but he's well within his rights to have it.

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #4116 on: September 4, 2014, 05:50:25 pm »
So...Mignolet not Evans yeh?

Offline rob1408

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4117 on: September 4, 2014, 05:54:27 pm »
Barrett works under him! Of course he gets the same info. Its essentially Barrett's job to give him that info.

The opinion is obviously bollocks but he's well within his rights to have it.
That's working under the assumption that Evans is passing on honest info and not just spouting bollocks. 

Offline Butter Keks

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4118 on: September 4, 2014, 05:59:42 pm »
So...Mignolet not Evans yeh?

We would of been on the end of an Everton v Chelsea had it not been for him at Goodison. People are far too quick to jump on him whilst forgetting the amount of brilliant saves he made last season. Away to Southampton, Home to West Ham, Home to Stoke, Away to Villa the list goes on - all games in which Mig had a big influence on the outcome of the match.

Offline houkura

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4119 on: September 4, 2014, 06:09:47 pm »
If the whole club had no confidence in Mignolet we would have signed a top keeper over the Summer. Evans is full of it. Rumours of signing Valdes on a 1 year deal late in the year is a far cry from trying to replacing Mignolet. It would have been done early and emphatically with a position as important as keeper.
"Good to be here, good to be anywhere."  --Keith Richards