Author Topic: Raheem Shaquille Sterling  (Read 676478 times)

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
Re: Raheem Sterling
« Reply #200 on: October 4, 2013, 06:42:24 pm »
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline Pinky_Bieber

• shit fan whose IQ is unlikely to be exceeding 59
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #201 on: October 4, 2013, 06:44:46 pm »
Do they get a say?

no,just leave him there in front of their doors :P
YNWA

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
    • Wakelet of the Articles I have written
« Reply #202 on: October 4, 2013, 06:46:06 pm »
You're assuming he goes out on the town every night. What gets written in the media isn't necessarliy true!
Granted he has obviously had some issues in his private life but jesus, cut the kid some slack.
I would have thought any professional club he could be loaned out too would have his interests at heart. They have a duty to make sure all players that pull on their jerseyare in a right frame of mind and that their wellfare is focused upon.

Iīm not suggesting he is Pete Doherty here. I think you are missing my point though. Right now, he is in a somewhat controlled environment and he does appear to lack the maturity/skillset to make sound choices. If he were to go to say London, without that control and with greater temptation it is within the realms of posibility that he may come back worse for it.

I have no doubt that other clubs would want their players to maintain a professional attitude. What I am suggesting though is they wouldnīt monitor as thoroughly a loan player who on face value was performing as required.
My first article on Anfield Index on Shaqiri. Enjoy. bit.ly/2mAq3Qd

Offline The 1989 Brit Awards

• He may be of thome aththithtanthe if there ith a thudden kwaithith!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #203 on: October 4, 2013, 07:02:24 pm »
You're assuming he goes out on the town every night. What gets written in the media isn't necessarliy true!
Granted he has obviously had some issues in his private life but jesus, cut the kid some slack.
I would have thought any professional club he could be loaned out too would have his interests at heart. They have a duty to make sure all players that pull on their jerseyare in a right frame of mind and that their wellfare is focused upon.
Didn't someone here said they saw him last week talking to a bird on a rough neigbourhood?

He could stop hanging out in rough neighbourhoods!

:-X

Offline jdelcue

• Kemlynite
« Reply #204 on: October 4, 2013, 09:16:49 pm »
Oh well Raheem,

Yolanderyolando has spoken and it's bad news mate.

No, sorry your just aren't good enough lad, No you'll never get there mate.

Back to Kingston Town for you lad.....

LOL!!

:wave  Y.N.W.A.  :wave

Offline jdelcue

• Kemlynite
« Reply #205 on: October 4, 2013, 09:53:54 pm »
Just curious if there's a place for him whilst we're playing 3-4-1-2. Maybe against the likes of Palace (no disrespect to them), he could play as a wingback?

I'm not sure how that is 'disrespectful'? I think that maybe the image some people on here have of Raheem is 'incomplete'....

He usually plays in an attacking wide position, sure. But if you look at his performances, at whatever level, he has always maintained a good rate of pass completion %, he has good stamina for getting up and down the pitch. and he's no slouch in the tackle / pressing game.

That stuff, coupled with his recent experience at RWB in some reserve games, signals to me that he might be the sort of player who could do a job there... and I mean for the good of the team overall, not just to take the mickey out of another team and put an 'all-out attacking winger' at RWB -- which Sterling would not be.

I think shifting Hendo into Lucas's role for this game + having Sterling @ RWB will actually look better than having gone with Hendo wide and Lucas in the middle...

We're expecting to be on the front foot a whole lot in this game vs. Palace at Anfield, no?   ;D

Offline El_Pelusa_10

• Kopite
  • Diego Armando Maradona-Greatest Player Of All Time
« Reply #206 on: October 5, 2013, 06:58:48 pm »
Thought he looked a bit low on confidence at the start of the game. Looked like he was always looking to come inside and play the simple pass(not a bad thing) when there was room on the outside to get at Moxey!

Grew as the game went on though! which was great to see

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #207 on: October 5, 2013, 07:04:28 pm »
Considering he's an 18 year old lad, who was playing out of position, won a pen from right (wing)back, I think he did just fine.

Much as he has all season.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: October 5, 2013, 07:05:28 pm »
Considering he's an 18 year old lad, who was playing out of position, won a pen from right (wing)back, I think he did just fine.

Much as he has all season.

Yep. Especially in second half he did far better in an attacking sense.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: October 5, 2013, 07:06:11 pm »
Lacking confidence

Offline shravan.satya

• Kopite
« Reply #210 on: October 5, 2013, 07:16:25 pm »
Lacking confidence

Great talent but his decision making is a bit suspect.
YNWA

Offline hwieniawski

• Kopite
« Reply #211 on: October 5, 2013, 07:29:10 pm »
I honestly think he could do with a loan more than anything. He's talented enough that if he's on the pitch regularly i believe he'll improve significantly. Whether that's remotely possible considering our relatively small squad, I don't know
juve e liverpool amici per sempre

You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: October 5, 2013, 07:30:09 pm »
Great talent but his decision making is a bit suspect.

He's just too tentative right now, nothing is spur of the moment and coming freely. He'll get his mojo back at some point.

Offline lorenzo23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: October 5, 2013, 07:30:35 pm »
Hope to never see him play there again, personally thought should been Moses and him switched places. That being said he was not dreadful but you can see that he is not too confident in playing there.
Liverpool manager Rafael Benítez admitted after the match that the manner of his side's victory had stunned him and he stated: "My problem is that I don't have words to express the things that I feel at this moment"

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: October 5, 2013, 07:45:54 pm »
Hope to never see him play there again, personally thought should been Moses and him switched places. That being said he was not dreadful but you can see that he is not too confident in playing there.

Would be quite happy to see him there again, against the right opposition. Today was the right day to use him there in a position, and shape that he probably has little experience of. Usually he's up there high and wide, today, it's a different game for him, but am sure he learnt alot today.

He's 18.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #215 on: October 5, 2013, 07:47:33 pm »
Would be quite happy to see him there again, against the right opposition. Today was the right day to use him there in a position, and shape that he probably has little experience of. Usually he's up there high and wide, today, it's a different game for him, but am sure he learnt alot today.

He's 18.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: October 5, 2013, 07:51:14 pm »
He's only a kid but when he's on the ball, he's over thinking far to much IMO, could see it today, he wasn't sure whether to take his man on or pass it off so he kept going with the safe option and going back to Kolo.

That quick thinking is certainly there though, just needs some games in the reserves to get his confidence back IMO and get himself settled again.

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: October 5, 2013, 10:28:48 pm »
He's only a kid but when he's on the ball, he's over thinking far to much IMO, could see it today, he wasn't sure whether to take his man on or pass it off so he kept going with the safe option and going back to Kolo.

I think that was his first league start in nearly a year? Been a long long while. First league start for nearly a year and he's not 19 yet. And asked to play in an unfamiliar role. I thought he equipped himself rather well all things considered. Got caught flat footed a few times, but should come as no real surprise. Still a teenager who's more used to having the challenge of getting round one person, but today, he's having to get round two to work himself into a position that's more familiar, so passing it back to Kolo, and playing safe, is someone doing his job in that position. I think you have to work it like that in that position, and not go hurtling forward like you'd want to if he was up top in a three. Even so, he did try to, and I liked that. He's not afraid, which is a great thing to have.

I think he goes home tonight rightfully thinking, 'yeah, I did OK tonight.'

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #218 on: October 5, 2013, 11:52:15 pm »
Of course you go with the safe option, but there were a number of times today when, if he'd just turned and faced his man, he'd have seen the run or Suarez/Sturridge in behind.

He's just void of confidence and i have no hesitation in thinking he'll get it back given games, like you said, he's still just a kid and he'll learn.

Offline ac

• Headless chicken
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: October 6, 2013, 09:51:24 am »
Poor yesterday - lightweight, lethargic and little end product. This season he's looked shadow of the vibrant attacking outlet he was at the beginning of last season. Maybe his confidence has been hit by not starting games?

Offline PIPA23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: October 6, 2013, 09:56:29 am »
lucky to have a talent like him in the team... thanks Rafa.

Offline RoshanA

• Shows some fawcets of Paul Merson's character. Rashid clone. Lucas Leiva, midfield saviour
  • Kopite
« Reply #221 on: October 6, 2013, 09:59:11 am »
It's a shame his trajectory is going down from when he started. He hasn't pushed on.

But like everyone says, he's still a very young lad, dealing with the pressures of fames and some high profile run ins with the laws will probably have taken their toll.

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: October 6, 2013, 10:08:43 am »
Maybe his confidence has been hit by not starting games?

Surely that can't be it :s

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: October 6, 2013, 10:21:23 am »
Posted elsewhere but more relevant in here perhaps

Hes 18 thus many expect Rooney, Owen like performances otherwise he should be loaned out.....that's the issue I see here s he has talent but unless he is lighting up the stage like a wonderkid many think he should not be getting a game. Sad.

I am very happy to see him come off the bench or start at home against possible relegation teams as 1000 minutes in that environment plus daily training in a top 4 side is a lot better than 3000 minutes in a Championship team.

Hes young, its not an excuse its a fact. Give him & his game a chance to mature
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline Mali1

• No chance. Not all. Never. Hope died long ago, left dangling pitifully and listlessly from my tree of despondency and despair. Oh yes.
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #224 on: October 6, 2013, 10:35:26 am »
I wish he would influence the game like how Ross Barkley and Januzaj did.

Too much asking I know but some times I feel we have been too cautious about how he should develop on the defensive side.

Let him express himself at the top of the field. I think he is better at that when he does not have to be too conservative.

Offline PIPA23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: October 6, 2013, 11:31:00 am »
I wish he would influence the game like how Ross Barkley and Januzaj did.

Too much asking I know but some times I feel we have been too cautious about how he should develop on the defensive side.

Let him express himself at the top of the field. I think he is better at that when he does not have to be too conservative.

he already did that, he did it before them... + he had his first national call up before Barkley. Januzaj is different type of winger than Sterling... and imo didnīt do that much to prove he is better than him... he looks more composed, but Sterling has the speed and tricks + both will grow still... we argue here about a kid..i remember times people were angry to play 31 old players on wings and not giving chances to youngsters...

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #226 on: October 6, 2013, 11:56:12 am »
I am very happy to see him come off the bench or start at home against possible relegation teams as 1000 minutes in that environment plus daily training in a top 4 side is a lot better than 3000 minutes in a Championship team.

a Premier league game - irrespective of the opposition, cant be used as a nursery for hesitant youngsters....others made the step up too soon - Robinson, Flanagan, Coady et al and are now nowhere to be seen on match day....the same rules should apply to the struggling Sterling...he currently looks like a boy lost in a mans world....needs to be rested forom the first team....move back down to the ressies or youth teams let him do what he's best at and remind himself that he can still do it...then slowly reintroduce him...
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline schumi_pete

• Main Stander
« Reply #227 on: October 6, 2013, 12:06:42 pm »
I would say that we need to find him a good loan just like we have done with Suso. Sitting on the bench with just ten minutes here and there is doing him no good. A lower premier league/upper table championship club would be a good move for him in January.

Players won't progress at his age if they are not playing regularly.

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #228 on: October 6, 2013, 12:17:17 pm »
Really dont know why so many seem to be of the opinion that a player's progression is so linear.

That it would only go up, at a steady rate.

It makes you wonder if people actually watch football, actually watch players progress. Because the majority of the time the player doesnt just come in to the team at 17, stay there, steadily get better year on year until they reach the age of about 30 and they start to go the other way.

Perhaps its rose tinted glasses or history being told by the victors, but so many players actually go through a few years where they do a bit of learning.

Not least our current captain.

He might be 'Captain Marvel' now but there was a significant period of time when he was over eager, reckless, didnt score enough goals and wasnt switched on enough.

He didnt come in to the team at 18 and immediately become the force of nature we know him as.

But whatever, Sterling's shite cos he didnt run the game from wingback.

Offline litmanen37

• Legacy Fan
  • '77 '78 '81 '84 '05
« Reply #229 on: October 6, 2013, 12:26:06 pm »
Really dont know why so many seem to be of the opinion that a player's progression is so linear.

That it would only go up, at a steady rate.

It makes you wonder if people actually watch football, actually watch players progress. Because the majority of the time the player doesnt just come in to the team at 17, stay there, steadily get better year on year until they reach the age of about 30 and they start to go the other way.

Perhaps its rose tinted glasses or history being told by the victors, but so many players actually go through a few years where they do a bit of learning.

Not least our current captain.

He might be 'Captain Marvel' now but there was a significant period of time when he was over eager, reckless, didnt score enough goals and wasnt switched on enough.

He didnt come in to the team at 18 and immediately become the force of nature we know him as.

But whatever, Sterling's shite cos he didnt run the game from wingback.

Couldn't agree more
Re: You have to take your hat off to Arsene Wenger...
The only way id take my hat off to him, is if i was odd job, then id throw it at the c*nt!

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #230 on: October 6, 2013, 12:37:28 pm »
Hardly ever agree with St. John but I absolutely agree he should have gone at the CP fullback at least once if for no other reason than to test if the fullback was any good.

Offline Scouse-Lad-Lfc

• Main Stander
« Reply #231 on: October 6, 2013, 12:40:54 pm »
I feel really sorry for Sterling, heres a lad who was playing left of a 3 throughtout his acadamy years, scored goals, made goals, showed flair week in week out, he breaks into the first team an starts off in the same form, so whats changed?

For me Rodgers has handled Raheem terribly, we seen in the documentary how Rodgers tore a strip off him for having the nerve to do some tricks against Man City, well I'm sorry but thats exactly what I want to see from our kids, a confidence and a fearlessness, when was the last time we seen Raheem do a stepover? Or take a man on? The lads confidence is shot and it wont return anytime soon with him playing at right wingback!

People can look at his off the pitch antics for the reason his form has dipped but for me its down to the manager.
"Who's bigger than Liverpool"

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #232 on: October 6, 2013, 12:46:04 pm »
I feel really sorry for Sterling, heres a lad who was playing left of a 3 throughtout his acadamy years, scored goals, made goals, showed flair week in week out, he breaks into the first team an starts off in the same form, so whats changed?

For me Rodgers has handled Raheem terribly, we seen in the documentary how Rodgers tore a strip off him for having the nerve to do some tricks against Man City, well I'm sorry but thats exactly what I want to see from our kids, a confidence and a fearlessness, when was the last time we seen Raheem do a stepover? Or take a man on? The lads confidence is shot and it wont return anytime soon with him playing at right wingback!

People can look at his off the pitch antics for the reason his form has dipped but for me its down to the manager.

You can argue Raheem should have been played more but right now I don't see who Sterling plays ahead of.

Offline slw614

• Anny Roader
  • I moustache you a question but I'm shaving it
« Reply #233 on: October 6, 2013, 12:51:37 pm »
I am confused, I confess... Do people actually think that Sterling did poorly in the couple of games as a sub? He wasn't great and all, but was he really bad? The kid bursts on the stage at 17 into a relatively poor side and everyone is in awe. He was perceived as our "savior". But as soon as we added a bit of quality, he suddenly doesn't stand up too much, especially when he has days off. He is still a kid, he has to learn to show consistency, to better fit in the team and carry his tasks, and there is no indication that that won't happen. Let alone the off the field affairs he was involved in; that weighs very heavily on a teenager! Writing him off? Nonsense.

The lad has struggled of late but I think too many have forgotten just how much of an impact he made when he came in last season particularly that game v City. The lad is clearly a talent but needs time to grow and learn. I have the utmost faith that our manager will allow him that.

Offline Scouse-Lad-Lfc

• Main Stander
« Reply #234 on: October 6, 2013, 12:54:34 pm »
You can argue Raheem should have been played more but right now I don't see who Sterling plays ahead of.

I agree with a fully fit squad hes struggling to get a place but if thats the case then loan him out, to play him at right wing back isnt going to help anybody, Ryan McGloughlin should be given a chance there if we are short.
"Who's bigger than Liverpool"

Offline Tom_B

• Suffering from Keyboard Diarrhea? Rawkite most likely to take his ball home in a huff #1
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #235 on: October 6, 2013, 12:57:59 pm »
He just looks devoid of any confidence at all, and part of that is down tot he crowd getting on his back for any mistake.

When he broke through, he played with no fear, and looked like he could beat anyone. He essentially was playing how Barkley is playing for Everton now, trying things he probably shouldn't, and playing with a confidence and ability beyond his young age.

Realistically, in the 3-4-1-2 formation, I would say that only position he can play is in the 2 up front, and he has a hell of a fight to get in there.
We're on our way to glory...

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: October 6, 2013, 01:13:37 pm »
Lacking confidence and lacking form.

We know he has the talent, and has shown it for us for half a season before he got burnt out. People may say you can't just state that he's only 18, but that's bollocks.

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: October 6, 2013, 01:14:43 pm »
Hardly ever agree with St. John but I absolutely agree he should have gone at the CP fullback at least once if for no other reason than to test if the fullback was any good.

He did though, he took on their full back on a number of occasions and made himself space to put a cross in. He just lacked the final ball.

He also played that one - two that earned us the penalty.

Offline dakid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #238 on: October 6, 2013, 01:23:39 pm »
The fact is sterling couldn't get past the full back you could see he had no idea what to do when he faced up to him square yesterday. On the run he is good but he doesn't really have skill to beat players unless he gets a run on them.
« Last Edit: October 6, 2013, 01:29:45 pm by dakid »

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #239 on: October 6, 2013, 01:32:08 pm »
The fact is sterling couldn't get past the full back you could see he had no idea what to do when he faced up to him square yesterday. On the run he is ok but he doesn't really have skill to beat players unless he gets a run on them.

It might sound harsh but I think Sterling got figured out. He is good at getting past players if he is at full pelt and can knock the ball past a standing defender and keep going from there but when he faces up to a defender especially after the first few weeks which was all it took for half the premier league defenders to realise that after a blistering start Raheem didn't really have pace to burn and that they could give him a couple of yards of space, he has struggled to beat defenders. And you are spot on when you say he lacks the skill to do it. Just a shame that he doesn't particularly have the vision or the execution to make the couple of yards he is afforded count.

Edit: He is also capable of a quick turn when the defender is close enough to him but again if they stand off him and let him square up, he is quite harmless.
« Last Edit: October 6, 2013, 01:34:03 pm by 'Sergio Georgini' please »
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.