Author Topic: Coates- Mackem for a year (feet still stick out of bed).  (Read 80558 times)

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Coates ACL injury
« Reply #200 on: April 12, 2014, 05:16:33 am »
Does anyone know if he's played yet in Uruguay? Should be approaching that stage and he won't take things slowly with world cup selection on the line.
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline houkura

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #201 on: April 12, 2014, 05:54:37 am »
Does anyone know if he's played yet in Uruguay? Should be approaching that stage and he won't take things slowly with world cup selection on the line.

I know he played in Nacional's last game. I think he came on for about 20 minutes but not positive-pretty sure it was a lateish sub appearance just a day or two ago.
"Good to be here, good to be anywhere."  --Keith Richards

Online farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #202 on: April 12, 2014, 06:04:52 am »
He would have a great career in Italy, sorry it didn't work out for him here...
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline pedrinho

• Kemlynite
« Reply #203 on: April 12, 2014, 02:41:40 pm »
The style of the Premier League (pace and a lot of space) and, particularly, the style of Brendan Rodgers Liverpool don´t suit him.

But he is a massive defender. When he feels important and a leader, he is incredible.

I recommend you to watch the game Uruguay v Team GB in the Olympics. He was a beast defensive and offensively.

Offline JongWK

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: April 12, 2014, 02:53:40 pm »

Played about 40 minutes a couple days ago in a Copa Libertadores match. Had a good game according to journalists.
"I look at him doing all sorts of crazy shit and mostly I burst out laughing at his insane genius.
I mean, if his first reaction to a ball bouncing in front of him 40 yards from goal is 'I'm going to whack this into the net from here', you just have to laugh at the sheer improbability of it all."
~~Ray K, on Luis Suarez (Liverpool 5 - Norwich 1)

Offline LFC UNTIL THE MANAGER IS NO LONGER DESERVING OF MY SYMPATHY

• Everyone's shit. Especially me...Yeah! LFC for Life. He takes everything up to date and on the chin.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #205 on: April 13, 2014, 10:02:16 pm »
Coates played the full 90 helping Nacional to a 2-0 home victory today.
@LFC4LIFENET

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: April 13, 2014, 10:06:55 pm »
He would have a great career in Italy, sorry it didn't work out for him here...

can absolutely see him 'doing a Paletta' in italy. it helps that he's more talented, and more developed/experienced. hope his recovery goes to plan, and he gets a good move for him and us

Offline LFC UNTIL THE MANAGER IS NO LONGER DESERVING OF MY SYMPATHY

• Everyone's shit. Especially me...Yeah! LFC for Life. He takes everything up to date and on the chin.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #207 on: April 13, 2014, 10:10:31 pm »
can absolutely see him 'doing a Paletta' in italy. it helps that he's more talented, and more developed/experienced. hope his recovery goes to plan, and he gets a good move for him and us

We should loan him to Italy, whether he has a future here or not hopefully his stock will rise.
@LFC4LIFENET

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: April 13, 2014, 10:11:57 pm »
We should loan him to Italy, whether he has a future here or not hopefully his stock will rise.

Agree with this, can't see us getting anything for him at the minute
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline JongWK

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: April 14, 2014, 03:18:27 pm »
Had a really good game according to multiple reports.

Some brief excerpts from his post-match press conference here (and I mean brief).
"I look at him doing all sorts of crazy shit and mostly I burst out laughing at his insane genius.
I mean, if his first reaction to a ball bouncing in front of him 40 yards from goal is 'I'm going to whack this into the net from here', you just have to laugh at the sheer improbability of it all."

Offline JongWK

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: April 14, 2014, 03:26:20 pm »
From El Observador:

"Coates, who had months of inactivity, played as if he'd never been injured."

"Nacional owned the match with a Coates who became a giant as the minutes passed."

Offline pedrinho

• Kemlynite
« Reply #211 on: April 14, 2014, 05:15:46 pm »
Highlights from yesterday match:

(Watch from minute 6:00)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=34vHWA87T_E#t=360

Online farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #212 on: April 14, 2014, 05:18:49 pm »
Great to see him playing full games, and better yet, playing well. I have my doubts that he will recover to the pre-injury level to suit the pace in the Premier League, but I've been wrong before. I still think he would be an immense CB in Italy, or even Spain.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline JongWK

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: April 17, 2014, 04:06:35 pm »
"When I injured myself, I thought of the World Cup"

The first thing that came to the defender's mind, when he heard of his injury on August 14 of last year, was to recover in time for Brazil. On Sunday, he played the full 90 minutes for Nacional and now "it doesn't depend so much on me."

-It was a long wait, but you are finally back. What would you highlight from your return?
- I felt really good, luckily, being able to play after such a long time. It's also positive that the team won.

- How many months since the injury?
- Seven and a half since my operation and until I played a full match agian. (last Sunday)

- Did you think it was going to be so serious?
- Not really, because when I injured myself I didn't felt that much pain, and I was able to finish the match. Maybe later, yes, when I cooled down and I saw my knee had swollen I feared it could be what it ended up happening. I knew it was at least six months of recovery, and that sometimes it took longer.

- What did you think all this time?
When I had the studies done and they told me what it was, I immediately thought of starting the recovery process, counting the months it could take and, of course, the World Cup.

- Did you inform yourself of the type of injury with the doctors, or the internet?
- This is a very common injury among footballers. In Liverpool, my friend Lucas Leiva had the same injury, so I had the experience of seeing him and his recovery.

- What's the most difficult part of not playing for such a long time?
- Above all it's your mind, feeling fit to play but having to accept what the doctors tell you.

- There comes a time you just want to enter the pitch.
- Logically, I wanted to play, to train with my team, to help them, but sometimes the doctors have the last word.

- Looking at Liverpool's current form, and imagining you had never been injured, do you think you could have had a place in the team?
- I don't know, it's not something anyone could guess.

- Did you think of the World Cup while recovering?
- I always thought it was one of the goals of my recovery, the possibility of going to the World Cup. As you recover and feel better, you start worrying about finishing it (the recovery) and being in the best match fitness, and not so much about the World Cup.

- Returning now means you might have the time for it.
- Yes, now it's closer than ever. It doesn't depend so much on me but on being physically fit. We'll see about football later.

- What percentage of your recovery process are you in?
- I don't know about percentages, I just felt very good. It took me a while to get the rythm of the game, of the ball, but afterwards I loosened myself and I was glad to complete the 90 minutes, which was very important for me.

- Journalists and fans are praising your performance...
- It's nice to hear praises, but you also don't have to pay much attention to them, and focus instead on the next game.

- And the derby? (between Nacional and Peñarol)
- Of course, but first comes the match with Cerro Largo.

- Ending the team's negative streak was a good thing.
- We knew it was the last chance, we had to win and fortunately we did, especially against a good team like Defensor.*

(*) Translator's note: Defensor is the only Uruguayan team left in the Libertadores Cup at present time. Instead of signing expensive old players, they go for promoting players from their academy.

Offline GrkStav

• Has a statuette of Lucas on the bonnet of his car which he polishes lovingly with Lucas Brasso. Glen Johnson's biggest fan. Doesn't have a "fucken clue" where L4 is
  • Legacy Fan
  • Not very good at 'banter'.
« Reply #214 on: April 17, 2014, 10:00:23 pm »
Highlights from yesterday match:

(Watch from minute 6:00)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=34vHWA87T_E#t=360

Good stuff. His 'solo' was awesome. He was robbed of an assist there!
Ludi Circenses!

royhendo

« Reply #215 on: April 18, 2014, 07:09:15 am »
Really pleased for him that he's on his way back. I think he's a lovely, elegant footballer.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: April 18, 2014, 07:43:41 am »
I wonder how long is left on his contract?
I hope he makes the WC.

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: April 18, 2014, 07:48:26 am »
Really pleased for him that he's on his way back. I think he's a lovely, elegant footballer.
Agreed.  :)  Hope we loan him next season, not sell him. He has great potential. Let's see him get game time and develop like Suso has this year. He's still very young.
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #218 on: April 18, 2014, 08:23:19 am »
Lovely chap, plays an elegant game for a man of his height, but ultimately he will leave the club due to him being really slow.

Good luck to him though, he can be a really good player in the right set up.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #219 on: April 18, 2014, 07:44:44 pm »

Me too, would love to see him back at ours.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Macedonian Red Reborn

• Self-professed wool
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: May 10, 2014, 08:24:09 pm »

"Liverpool defender Sebastian Coates targets Uruguay World Cup berth and opens future talks"

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11669/9305624?
"If I wanted you to understand, I'd have explained it better" Johan Cruyff

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: May 10, 2014, 10:25:38 pm »
Lovely chap, plays an elegant game for a man of his height, but ultimately he will leave the club due to him being really slow.

Good touch for a big man. ;)

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #222 on: May 10, 2014, 11:28:35 pm »

The Kaiser wasn't lightning at the back, the first yard is in your head, i hope he still has a future with us,
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline DerKaiser

• It's German for "TheCheesyRanter". Likes young boys.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: May 11, 2014, 01:59:46 am »
Pace is completely overrated in center backs.

Offline Dree

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: May 11, 2014, 02:34:26 am »
If he has a future here he probably requires a loan to an English club. He had a terrific game against Man City in the 2-2 draw last season, but I can't remember his other performances. If he has a good World Cup his value could rocket and we could get our £6 mill back.

His lack of pace wouldn't be as much of a problem in Europe but I just can't see Rodgers bringing him back in given him rarely he played in 12-13.

Offline rlpolobear9

• Kopite
« Reply #225 on: May 11, 2014, 02:47:02 am »
Hopefully he can play well and be moved on in the next few months, don't see a role for him in the side as he is to slow
Liverpool FC 5 time European champs!!!!! YNWA

Offline Reds and Revs

• Anny Roader
« Reply #226 on: May 11, 2014, 03:58:53 am »
Pace is completely overrated in center backs.

He isn't slow. In my view his issue is his lack of quickness, and I still don't think we've seen him enough to make a judgement on whether that will stop him from being effective in PL.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: May 11, 2014, 04:04:08 am »
Brendan is obviously an excellent coach and there is no reason why he couldn't turn it around with Coates. Obviously, he's been quite unlucky with that Oldham game was it where he was quite poor and then lost his place and fell down the pecking order prior to his injury. I don't know if he will stay but I think Brendan is an adaptable manager and would have no trouble having him in the side if he felt that helped the team.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline BigTroubleInLittleChina

• Main Stander
« Reply #228 on: May 11, 2014, 09:21:45 am »
I still remember the Chelsea away game in 2011. A good World Cup and who`s to say he can`t fight for a place here next season. Unless his injuries have fucked him up severly....
The way she goes, boys.

Offline karl740

• Kopite
« Reply #229 on: May 11, 2014, 11:15:40 am »
Could be our version of mertersacker

Offline Wiss_LFC

• Wuss_WUM: Diss_missed but won't be ATALL_missed.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: May 11, 2014, 12:12:58 pm »
Would have him back here in a second, never really put a foot wrong to be fair, yes there was 1 or 2 occasions but overall did alrite for us..
I'll bring out the stats and heat maps if we sign him.

Offline jdpapa3

• Kopite

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: May 13, 2014, 08:17:18 am »
Would like to see the big fella get a second bite of the LFC cherry.

Can't believe some are still banging the "too slow" drum, ignoring the asthmatic snail but imperious Finn that commanded our defence for a decade.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #233 on: May 13, 2014, 03:12:06 pm »
This is the scouting report on Coates:

Strengths: Height is obviously a key attribute and his aerial ability matches his frame. A decent ball player, he also has strength in abundance.

Weaknesses: Concentration and positional awareness can be worked on, but there are few holes in his game. Although a strong player, it is also said he must learn to use this more wisely.

Career high: The 2011 Copa America tournament saw Coates arrive on the international scene, winning the trophy and being named the Best Young Player.

Career low: Left out of the Uruguay's 2010 World Cup squad due to his lack of experience.

Style: Tall, elegant, commanding, a deceptively quick defender.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline mallin9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: May 13, 2014, 03:24:08 pm »
Too bad we've actually seen him play, so we can throw that scouting report out the window.  Elegant?  Try "3x winner, Most likely to shit or go blind when defending on a breakaway" and "LFC averaged roughly 17 goals against in matches Coates started" (all figures approximate).

I wish the big guy all the luck in the world in his recovery and for his career, I hope he pushes on and proves me dead wrong.  I just have not seen anything to date that matches that fanciful scouting report.
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: May 13, 2014, 03:31:21 pm »
Think he'll probably go for free or a tiny fee this summer back to Nacional
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Spanish Al

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: May 13, 2014, 03:57:50 pm »
Think he is just what our back four needs, his height and strength are something we've lacked in the centre of the defence this season. Seems to be decent on the ball as well so should have no problem playing it out the back. Him and Agger would be a good pairing but I would love to see him and Sakho, think they'd be a good pairing. Hopefully he has a good World Cup and plays for Uruguay which will then either lead to us getting a bit more cash for him or Brendan changing his mind. Personally, I am hoping it's the latter.
Rafa Benitez: "I’ll always keep in my heart the good times I’ve had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager."

Offline Xanderzone

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: May 13, 2014, 04:08:12 pm »
Would like to see the big fella get a second bite of the LFC cherry.

Can't believe some are still banging the "too slow" drum, ignoring the asthmatic snail but imperious Finn that commanded our defence for a decade.

Except there's one small problem with that. Hyypia was one of the best header of a balls we've ever seen and one of the most dominant.

While Coates went to Oldham in the FA Cup and got mullered in the air time and time again by a lad who wasn't long before playing amateur football.

Offline Spanish Al

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #238 on: May 13, 2014, 04:27:59 pm »
Except there's one small problem with that. Hyypia was one of the best header of a balls we've ever seen and one of the most dominant.

While Coates went to Oldham in the FA Cup and got mullered in the air time and time again by a lad who wasn't long before playing amateur football.

Skrtel was the one who got battered by Smith in that game, more so than Coates anyway IIRC. Anyway, if that was the case it still wouldnt really be fair to judge him on one game alone in a heavily rotated side where we were poor. Plus he'd played fuck all football prior to that game.
Rafa Benitez: "I’ll always keep in my heart the good times I’ve had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager."

Offline Red Bird

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #239 on: May 13, 2014, 06:09:33 pm »

One match? You missed Skrtel's debut against Havant & Waterlooville, then?