Author Topic: Daniel Andre Sturridge  (Read 1156937 times)

Offline FernandoSusoLFC

• Has a boner for Bony. Listens on mute. broke the Flanno to Fiorentina story. may be @indykaila or @melly mellwood #incognito
  • Legacy Fan
Daniel Andre Sturridge
« on: March 3, 2013, 08:55:49 pm »
All other threads are locked [surprised?] so when is he back? thigh strain wasn't it.

« Last Edit: December 7, 2013, 05:19:46 pm by Baaneigh_Rubble »

Offline Get

• ...ting perilously close to being banned, so even the avatar is WRONG!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Support Brendan Rodgers
Re: Daniel Sturridge
« Reply #1 on: March 3, 2013, 09:27:54 pm »
All other threads are locked [surprised?] so when is he back? thigh strain wasn't it.

Hopefully we can get his fitness sorted out next season, would be such a fucking shame if he played half of the games during a season.

by this ratio he plays one and misses one.
Quote from: Fordy on July 20, 2012, 01:24:46 PM
Anything more that 6m for Joe Allen and we have been ripped off.

Loads of Joe allens out there.

I would like to see him stay at Swansea myself and see if he can have another decent season. He is a championship player - players like a championship player.

Offline ghost1359

• Loves his nuts, but can't swallow them without gagging
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: March 3, 2013, 09:28:48 pm »
He'll be back for Spurs I'd have thought
"Be on the watch, the gods will offer you chances. Know them, take them" - The laughing heart, Charles Bukowski

Offline Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • And the sweet silver song of a lark..
« Reply #3 on: March 3, 2013, 09:31:20 pm »
Interestingly enough, we didn't miss him as much as I expected yesterday. Though saying that everything we basically put towards goal went in. We'll need his qualities on days when we're struggling to score.

There is no doubt though that he's added a different dimension to our attack, and we'll see bear fruit much more next season. We basically had Suarez on his own until January, and they'll both be firing on all cylinders come the start of next season. And even when Suarez isn't firing (which rarely happens these days) we've got Sturridge to provide a goal threat.

I do wonder where we would be if we'd had Sturridge since August. A transfer cock up that may well have cost us a CL spot this season.
YWNA

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
  • Only got 3 bullets and there's 4 of Motley Crew
« Reply #4 on: March 3, 2013, 09:45:50 pm »
Hopefully we can get his fitness sorted out next season, would be such a fucking shame if he played half of the games during a season.

by this ratio he plays one and misses one.

what the fuck is this all about, seriously disturbed
We'll See Things They'll Never See

Offline iamrobk

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5 on: March 3, 2013, 09:56:22 pm »
We definitely need to manage his fitness, similarly to how we've managed Johnson and Agger this season (mostly by leaving them out of most European and cup matches), but I'm not too worried about his fitness record as long as we can get at least one other forward in.

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #6 on: March 4, 2013, 09:40:39 am »
Hoefully he is fit for the weekend even if he has to miss training to make the game. Vital we have his pace on the pitch so Spurs don't dare push up the pitch.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #7 on: March 4, 2013, 09:47:44 am »
I really like him already. Sad to see him not play against Wigan as we could've scored twice as many! Hope he gets better for Spurs. Him, Coutinho and Suarez as a front 3 =  :shocked

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #8 on: March 4, 2013, 09:54:25 am »

I do wonder where we would be if we'd had Sturridge since August. A transfer cock up that may well have cost us a CL spot this season.

I suspect him not coming in the summer may have been down to him thinking he could force his way back into the Chelsea side.

All in all it worked out, we were unable to get Dempsey (phew) and ended up with a younger more accomplised player instead.

Offline RivaGe

• Legacy Fan
  • walk on
« Reply #9 on: March 4, 2013, 10:16:23 am »
Injury prone, get rid.

Offline FernandoSusoLFC

• Has a boner for Bony. Listens on mute. broke the Flanno to Fiorentina story. may be @indykaila or @melly mellwood #incognito
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: March 4, 2013, 10:22:51 am »
Injury prone, get rid.

bring back Voronin.

Offline SwissV

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: March 4, 2013, 10:36:57 pm »
I suspect him not coming in the summer may have been down to him thinking he could force his way back into the Chelsea side.

All in all it worked out, we were unable to get Dempsey (phew) and ended up with a younger more accomplised player instead.

We wanted Sturridge on a loan deal with an option to buy. Sturridge didnt want to go out on loan. If he was to leave he wanted to go to a club that wanted him. Hence why when we came back for him offering a permenant deal for him he was very keen to come.
Origi will be our Lawendowski , quote me

Offline tamadic

• Kopite
« Reply #12 on: March 4, 2013, 10:48:42 pm »
Interestingly enough, we didn't miss him as much as I expected yesterday. Though saying that everything we basically put towards goal went in. We'll need his qualities on days when we're struggling to score.

There is no doubt though that he's added a different dimension to our attack, and we'll see bear fruit much more next season. We basically had Suarez on his own until January, and they'll both be firing on all cylinders come the start of next season. And even when Suarez isn't firing (which rarely happens these days) we've got Sturridge to provide a goal threat.

Don't remember who mentioned, but after his transfer, people seemed very happy that we saved about 5M in half a season for not buying him the past summer...
Yeah, 5M vs the 4th spot, cheers!

Offline Gus 1855

• GusMcLean is a direct descendent of wee Jimmy the Jock McSporran, son of Ally McLeod, voted best Flower of Scotland performer 2003. Changed name in hope of attracting Bridesmaid but he's still Scottish as a Glaswegian deep fried Haggis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: March 5, 2013, 12:40:45 am »
There is a very strong argument to say the front three vs Wigan should be the front 3 for Spurs. Not an absolute shoe in to start vs Spurs I would suggest, although no doubt many here will disagree.

Suarez, Sturridge and Coutinho it a luxurious front three. If we are not looking solid at the back I don't see BR picking this trio.

I would suggest Downing is a sure thing vs Spurs, then it's a question of Sturridge or Coutinho....and I think it will be Sturridge,
It looks to me as if we have signed another 'average' player. I'll hold back my complete opinion until I see the lad play

Offline ghost1359

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: March 5, 2013, 12:47:25 am »
Don't remember who mentioned, but after his transfer, people seemed very happy that we saved about 5M in half a season for not buying him the past summer...

What if we'd spent 17 million on him and he'd done fuck all? Waiting until January was the right decision in terms of Sturridge.
"Be on the watch, the gods will offer you chances. Know them, take them" - The laughing heart, Charles Bukowski

Offline ghost1359

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: March 5, 2013, 12:49:17 am »
There is a very strong argument to say the front three vs Wigan should be the front 3 for Spurs. Not an absolute shoe in to start vs Spurs I would suggest, although no doubt many here will disagree.

Suarez, Sturridge and Coutinho it a luxurious front three. If we are not looking solid at the back I don't see BR picking this trio.

I would suggest Downing is a sure thing vs Spurs, then it's a question of Sturridge or Coutinho....and I think it will be Sturridge,

We may line up as we did against Swansea. Coutinho's proved already he's not shy of putting a shift in so I wouldn't be shocked. I doubt we'd want to leave the midfield that exposed though.

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: March 5, 2013, 01:17:06 am »
Since Coutinho is just getting his fitness accustomed to the pace of the league, I think Henderson will feature on the left for Spurs, with Downing on the right flank, Sturridge as the centre-forward and Suarez playing a drifting role just behind him. Coutinho probably an impact substitute for either Henderson or Sturridge. This lineup is contingent on Sturridge's fitness, though, of course.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline psycllone

• Main Stander
  • Neo, its about time you free your mind.
« Reply #17 on: March 5, 2013, 01:30:08 am »
If rodgers decides to play a 4-4-2 we can still fit in coutinho,downing and sturridge in the same team  ;)
On a serious note, whoever's playing on either flank should be able to get back and defend every now and then since we are up against the so called "best ever" winger to set foot in the premier league. That's their best form of attack, two pacy wingers.
Your intelligence is my common sense.

Offline trembles97

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: March 5, 2013, 01:33:14 am »
Not sure why Downing is an automatic start. Yeah, he scored against Wigan, but that doesn't mean he can't be dropped.

Wouldn't be surprised if he made way for Sturridge.

Offline SwissV

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: March 5, 2013, 01:46:02 am »
If Sturridge comes in who do you drop?

The goal scorer, the player who assisted the first two goals or the hat-trick hero....

I reckon its been a long time since we have been in a predicament like this... makes me smile  ;D
Origi will be our Lawendowski , quote me

Offline psycllone

• Main Stander
« Reply #20 on: March 5, 2013, 01:55:45 am »
Not sure why Downing is an automatic start. Yeah, he scored against Wigan, but that doesn't mean he can't be dropped.

Downing is the only player I can think of who gives us width, we need him especially when we are playing a team like spurs. Not just for the attacking aspect but also to have someone who can get back and defend on the wider areas.

Offline ghost77uk

• Kopite
    • Steve Kingsman Photography
« Reply #21 on: March 5, 2013, 02:30:33 am »
Downing is the only player I can think of who gives us width, we need him especially when we are playing a team like spurs. Not just for the attacking aspect but also to have someone who can get back and defend on the wider areas.

This is why Downing will play against Spuds

Offline IndianRed

• Legacy Fan
  • Derp Derp
« Reply #22 on: March 5, 2013, 02:39:41 am »
I reckon Coutinho will be on the bench to bring on as the legs tire in the game. Allen or Henderson have to start the Spurs game. We'd get over-run against Parker, Dembele and Holtby if we go with only Lucas and Gerrard in midfield.

Offline liverpoolsox

• Kopite
  • Camarero
« Reply #23 on: March 5, 2013, 02:39:52 am »
Don't think we need to start him against Spurs personally, Downings playing out of his skin and I think if we're gonna replace Coutinho with someone Sterling should have a run out.
 I really don't want to risk Sturridge being out injured for the rest of the season so I think another weeks rest with perhaps a 15 minute cameo would be Ideal and Sterling has had a huge break since his last premier league start and might come back a little fresher than he went out
Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless,
who strove and worried so that others could share the glory,
and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say

'We're Liverpool'.

Offline Red Cez

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stop Fucking Moaning!!!!
« Reply #24 on: March 5, 2013, 03:02:00 am »
If Sturridge comes in who do you drop?

Allen should be the one to make way if Lucas and Stevie are both fully fit. I'm hoping we're able to play the same team and system that we had against Swansea.
Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation.

Oscar Wilde

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: March 5, 2013, 04:35:46 am »
I reckon Coutinho will be on the bench to bring on as the legs tire in the game. Allen or Henderson have to start the Spurs game. We'd get over-run against Parker, Dembele and Holtby if we go with only Lucas and Gerrard in midfield.

Feel the same way. As I wrote above, I think Henderson might feature on the left with his willingness to come inside and make up the extra man in MF, allowing Suarez to drift around and do his thing.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline barbudo

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #26 on: March 5, 2013, 05:36:51 am »

The Spurs midfield trio (Parker, Dembele and Sigurdsson) were very much second-best against Arsenal.  Dembele was particularly ineffective, he got stripped of the ball almost every time he touched it, and Sigurdsson played wide as an LM (a la Henderson). And although Parker and Sigurdsson got the assists for Spurs' goals, that's about all they did. So relax, midfield is the least of our worries.
Bethink ye, bethink ye ... that ye might be mistaken! (Oliver Cromwell)

Offline subroc

• cut at you with a clipper? Gas Face given, I beg to differ.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: March 5, 2013, 05:41:35 am »
Hopefully Sturridge will be recovered from his injury for the Spurs game. It would be a huge boost to the team if we could thrash one of the top 4 contenders.

« Reply #28 on: March 5, 2013, 09:49:02 am »
I'd say play our best players Coutinho, Suarez, Downing and Sturridge against Spurs. Both Downing and Coutinho will come in to CM when needed to give us the extra body. We'll find it hard to contain Spurs so we need to score more than they do.

Offline Growler2

• Anny Roader
  • Roy Orbison singin for the lonely
« Reply #29 on: March 5, 2013, 09:53:26 am »
I'd say play our best players Coutinho, Suarez, Downing and Sturridge against Spurs. Both Downing and Coutinho will come in to CM when needed to give us the extra body. We'll find it hard to contain Spurs so we need to score more than they do.

Thats a novel idea we will definitely win if we score more than they do.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: March 5, 2013, 10:05:14 am »
Thats a novel idea we will definitely win if we score more than they do.

Yes but i fear if we dont score more than them we may draw or even lose.

Offline psycllone

• Main Stander
« Reply #31 on: March 5, 2013, 01:03:18 pm »
The Spurs midfield trio (Parker, Dembele and Sigurdsson) were very much second-best against Arsenal.  Dembele was particularly ineffective, he got stripped of the ball almost every time he touched it, and Sigurdsson played wide as an LM (a la Henderson). And although Parker and Sigurdsson got the assists for Spurs' goals, that's about all they did. So relax, midfield is the least of our worries.
Dembele, Dempsey, Sandro and Huddlestone are all out with injuries this leaves only parker and sigurdsson in the midfield. Would love to see rodgers play a completely attacking line up with sturridge, coutinho and downing playing.
« Last Edit: March 5, 2013, 01:05:10 pm by psycllone »

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
« Reply #32 on: March 5, 2013, 01:06:09 pm »
Dembele, Dempsey, Sandro and Huddlestone are all out with injuries this leaves only parker and sigurdsson in the midfield. Would love to see rodgers play a completely attacking line up with sturridge, coutinho and downing playing.

I read somewhere that Dembele will be ok for Sunday, Could be wrong mind.

Offline paddysour

• likes balls
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: March 5, 2013, 01:08:25 pm »

They have Holtby as well, and Dembele should be fit

Offline LucasLeiva

• Anny Roader
  • Remember My Name
« Reply #34 on: March 5, 2013, 01:14:16 pm »

It's his defensive work getting him picked for big games, he puts shifts in and cover Johnson when he goes forward. He seems more disciplined than the other wingers.

Offline Kicked_Into_Touch

• Kopite
« Reply #35 on: March 5, 2013, 03:02:27 pm »

if that 5 mil is what helped to get coutinho, then yeah, i am happy with that. especially since we had chances to be in a good place to get back into the CL anyway.

in any case, it's unhealthy to look at these singluar events in a vacuum and try to determine causality.

Offline Gazzab

• Main Stander
« Reply #36 on: March 5, 2013, 04:03:08 pm »
Seen some really good play from the lad whilst he's been here, however I didn't like the slumped shoulders when Suarez  chose to shoot " and score " rather than pass to him last game. Hope it's not a sign of things to come.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #37 on: March 5, 2013, 04:06:11 pm »
It's his defensive work getting him picked for big games, he puts shifts in and cover Johnson when he goes forward. He seems more disciplined than the other wingers.

Correct. We have a very fluid attack, but that fluidity needs someone to hold shape, and our key players for that are Downing, Lucas, Sturridge (when he plays) and whoever partners Agger. The team needs reference points, so they know there are always reset option within a possession so that they don't get "lost" with the ball. Downing plays a very important role in this.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #38 on: March 5, 2013, 04:36:01 pm »
what the fuck is this all about, seriously disturbed
Is right, makes no sense. You can't isolate several matches out of over a hundred then create a statistic exclusive to that period and present it as representative of all appearances. Hopefully he's fit for Spurs. Can see Sturridge making himself known as England's top striker in the coming season.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
    • http://armand9.deviantart.com/
« Reply #39 on: March 5, 2013, 04:36:35 pm »
Seen some really good play from the lad whilst he's been here, however I didn't like the slumped shoulders when Suarez  chose to shoot " and score " rather than pass to him last game. Hope it's not a sign of things to come.

I wouldn't read much into it mate. I do recall that and noticed for a lot of the second half he was 'slightly off emotionally' for want of a better expression but I just think it was a bit of frustration that he hadn't scored despite playing really well and going very close a few times off some great moves. Or it simply could be he was still carrying his knock for all we know and knew he wasn't up to top speed and was frustrated at that. Either way, I think it's something in nothing.
Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Have that, you arrogant wanker. CarraG238