Author Topic: Youth and Under 23 Thread  (Read 12303218 times)

Offline TheUSSR

• Anny Roader
  • Trotyovskyi, CCCP GangWarfare, TSAR
Re: So what are these Youth/Reserve Lads like?
« Reply #76720 on: September 13, 2014, 10:19:55 am »
Wow. Ojo reminds me of Sterling. He's levels ahead of anyone there. He's 17 but he's built like a monster. Needs a good loan.
Lazar Marković, Čačak, Federal Republic of Yugoslavia

Offline MNAA

• ...mnaa, doo doo, deh-doodoo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76721 on: September 13, 2014, 10:34:58 am »
He really has come on leaps and bounds hasn't he.
Indeed. He was really good towards the end of last season. Was the best player (slightly ahead of Harry) at the Future Cup in Amsterdam). He is absolutely brilliant now. Can't believe that he is only 17. He is toying with the opponents at the U21 level at times. If he continues to progress at this rate, he is going to be an awesome player for us. You can't help but get excited.
Neither party wishes to be bent over backwards but...
coitus will occur

Offline SwordInYourGut

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #76722 on: September 13, 2014, 11:24:53 am »
Indeed. He was really good towards the end of last season. Was the best player (slightly ahead of Harry) at the Future Cup in Amsterdam). He is absolutely brilliant now. Can't believe that he is only 17. He is toying with the opponents at the U21 level at times. If he continues to progress at this rate, he is going to be an awesome player for us. You can't help but get excited.
On top of everything like talent, performances etc you can be sure he'll get a chance in the first team at some point because he is so versatile and physically he is a monster in terms of size and speed. Any manager would be more inclined to throw an Ojo into the deep end that bit sooner than a wilson, kent or canos.

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #76723 on: September 13, 2014, 11:28:07 am »
Sterling is 19, Ibe is 18 and Ojo is 17.  Then we have players like Kent and Wilson developing incredibly well too.

Its actually quite scary how much quality young attacking talent we have at the club, all players who could play in the first-team for years to come if they continue to progress and improve at the rate that they are. 

Offline bodhisattva

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #76724 on: September 13, 2014, 11:33:51 am »
do we still know what Ojo's best position is?? looks to have definitely kicked on in the last 6 months often he'd coast through games doing just enough and showing the odd glimpse of his talent, but now he's dominting games playing against boys sometimes 3-4 years older than him which is very impressive.

many often commented on here that if he could apply himself he could be anything he wants to be and it looks like the penny is dropping with him and it'll be exciting to see how he develops this season.

Offline babraham

• blincoln. Likes to have man crushes cos he's so pretty, oh so pretty (vacant).
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76725 on: September 13, 2014, 11:47:31 am »
The imbecile formerly known as babraham. But now called babraham again! Though still an imbecile. Sadly.

Klopp: "We have to change from doubters to believers...NOW"

Offline Shaved Crossbar

• shits from the hip
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76726 on: September 13, 2014, 11:50:20 am »
Coutinhoholycow, on your rating system, what's Raheem Sterling right now?

Offline liverpoolfcmike

• custom title thread lurker - easily amused
  • Legacy Fan
  • through the wind and rain (and fog)
« Reply #76727 on: September 13, 2014, 12:09:58 pm »
DiMarzio with a piece on Christian Capone who we're supposedly interested in: http://gianlucadimarzio.com/g-factor/g-factor-christian-capone-la-punta-tutta-estro-e-fantasia-che-ha-stuzzicato-il-liverpool/

Translated article is fairly legible.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #76728 on: September 13, 2014, 12:21:23 pm »
do we still know what Ojo's best position is?? looks to have definitely kicked on in the last 6 months often he'd coast through games doing just enough and showing the odd glimpse of his talent, but now he's dominting games playing against boys sometimes 3-4 years older than him which is very impressive.

many often commented on here that if he could apply himself he could be anything he wants to be and it looks like the penny is dropping with him and it'll be exciting to see how he develops this season.

Ojo has all the talent, it's down to him applying it consistently and showing the right mentality. Talent without application is nothing. Hopefully he can continue his progression because he's one of the most talented 17 year olds around.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Crown Paints and Candy

• Kemlynite
« Reply #76729 on: September 13, 2014, 12:52:37 pm »

Like many on here I had a few doubts about Ojo's application and desire in games, but those were erased about a year ago. He's been an absolute beast for a

while now and his potential seems limitless, not only for his physical and technical advantages but because he is so versatile like Cpt. Reina mentioned earlier.

The kid can effectively play either wing, second striker, number 10, and central midfield. Coincidentally one of our greatest ever players also played in those

positions and he should be studying dvd's of John Barnes because that's the man he needs to emulate in my opinion. Not saying he will reach that level but who is

there better for a player with Ojo's skill set to learn from?

The second goal against the Hammers had shades of John Barnes's right footed curler in that classic Everton derby. A left footed player with the ability to do that

with his right foot is rare indeed. How do you mark a player like that? If he reaches any where near his potential we will have a serious player on our hands.

I think we are very lucky to have him and thank God he didn't end up at Chelsea. 

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #76730 on: September 13, 2014, 01:04:56 pm »
Impressive performance that..Ojo does indeed look a cut above - Kent looks a clever little player too, excellent movement and eye for a pass...and nice to Yesil looking sharp...fingers crossed and a fair wind and these boys could really make a name for themselves....here's hoping
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline HopefulRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #76731 on: September 13, 2014, 02:40:25 pm »
So the U18s were meant to be playing at Middlesboro at 1.00 pm today.  No family there to give us an update?

Offline iVapor

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #76732 on: September 13, 2014, 02:59:46 pm »
How has Jerome Sinclair been developing? Not the best at keeping up to date with the youth group

Can anyone answer this for me...?

Offline Adeemo

• surreally arsed
  • Legacy Fan
  • A.W.E.S.O.M.-O
« Reply #76733 on: September 13, 2014, 03:03:10 pm »

As far as I'm aware, he's currently trying to rediscover his best form after last season was majorly disrupted by injury. Not sure how his all round game has looked so far this season but I think he's already scored quite a few goals for the u18's.
"I love the Pope, I love seeing him in his Pope-Mobile, his three feet of bullet proof plexi-glass. That's faith in action folks! You know he's got God on his side"

Offline MrBoywunder

• Kopite
  • They say our days are numbered...
« Reply #76734 on: September 13, 2014, 03:16:05 pm »

He's actually been pictured with the first team squad today along with Rossiter.

Offline Adeemo

• surreally arsed
  • Legacy Fan
  • A.W.E.S.O.M.-O
« Reply #76735 on: September 13, 2014, 03:20:46 pm »
He's actually been pictured with the first team squad today along with Rossiter.

and Conor Randall.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 03:22:39 pm by Adeemo »
"I love the Pope, I love seeing him in his Pope-Mobile, his three feet of bullet proof plexi-glass. That's faith in action folks! You know he's got God on his side"

Offline Aceldama

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #76736 on: September 13, 2014, 03:25:44 pm »
Middlesborough U18 3-2 Liverpool U18, final score for the lads who weren't involved in the first team or the U21s.

Offline SwordInYourGut

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #76737 on: September 13, 2014, 11:18:00 pm »
He hasn't been able to put together a run of consecutive games at any point due to niggling injuries. The positive is that none of them have been particularly serious so they aren't likely to hamper him long term. Expect to see him kick on as soon as he gets a run of games.

Offline Coutinholycow

• King Midas. If he pays £50m for a single tomato, that tomato is worth £50m.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76738 on: September 15, 2014, 02:20:38 am »
Coutinhoholycow, on your rating system, what's Raheem Sterling right now?

Probably 8.5A or 9B, conservatively.

Offline iVapor

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #76739 on: September 15, 2014, 03:13:07 pm »
He hasn't been able to put together a run of consecutive games at any point due to niggling injuries. The positive is that none of them have been particularly serious so they aren't likely to hamper him long term. Expect to see him kick on as soon as he gets a run of games.
As far as I'm aware, he's currently trying to rediscover his best form after last season was majorly disrupted by injury. Not sure how his all round game has looked so far this season but I think he's already scored quite a few goals for the u18's.

Cheers  :D

Offline Latenight Surfer

• Legacy Fan
  • Giggity
« Reply #76740 on: September 15, 2014, 05:02:48 pm »
"Genuine Struggle Leads To Genuine Success" - Yevado Annadle

Offline Gainsbarre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #76741 on: September 16, 2014, 09:22:32 am »
"Blackstone was targeted by Internet terrorists," Hicks said. "It absolutely had an impact on them."

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #76742 on: September 16, 2014, 11:28:45 am »
Looking forward to this today, a nice little appitiser for the main event tonight.

Going to try and catch the first half on my lunch.

The U19s will be good value whatever the result, you cant have attacking talent like Wilson/Kent/Ojo/Canos/Sinclair on the pitch and not have fun.

Offline KennyDaggers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #76743 on: September 16, 2014, 12:08:03 pm »
http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/170764-1-45pm-lfc-in-uefa-youth-league-live

Great experience for the young lads..

I was watching there youth team training at the academy last night.

The kids love playing against the foreign sides.

Offline SwordInYourGut

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #76744 on: September 16, 2014, 12:15:47 pm »
Any one with any knowledge about youth football in Bulgaria? I predict a thrashing for their first team, but I've seen too much of youth football to be that naive about u19 level matches. Still, way more interested in what happens when we face Real Madrid as I think that will tell us a lot more about our academy's standing on a global level. I hope we show that we have bridged some part of the gap evidenced during the thrashings we got from Sporting and Ajax. People may point to Sterling and say it is irrelevant but I disagree. You can't rely on finding players like Sterling all the time, you need a system in place to produce a conveyor belt of talents that invariably reach atleast the fringes of the first team. That is what Sporting and Ajax have and Liverpool quite plainly don't - yet.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76745 on: September 16, 2014, 12:21:54 pm »
Any one with any knowledge about youth football in Bulgaria? I predict a thrashing for their first team, but I've seen too much of youth football to be that naive about u19 level matches. Still, way more interested in what happens when we face Real Madrid as I think that will tell us a lot more about our academy's standing on a global level. I hope we show that we have bridged some part of the gap evidenced during the thrashings we got from Sporting and Ajax. People may point to Sterling and say it is irrelevant but I disagree. You can't rely on finding players like Sterling all the time, you need a system in place to produce a conveyor belt of talents that invariably reach atleast the fringes of the first team. That is what Sporting and Ajax have and Liverpool quite plainly don't - yet.

We've brought through just as many players as Ajax and probably more than Sporting since those thrashings though.

We have talent in our academy to go against any team in the world, Canos was top three at his age group at Barca, yet i'm not sure the same can be said of him here. The likes of Wilson, Kent, Ojo, Brannagan, Rossiter are talents who could play for the Ajax or Sportings of this world quite easily, no need to underrate them.

Offline KennyDaggers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #76746 on: September 16, 2014, 12:27:51 pm »
We've brought through just as many players as Ajax and probably more than Sporting since those thrashings though.

We have talent in our academy to go against any team in the world, Canos was top three at his age group at Barca, yet i'm not sure the same can be said of him here. The likes of Wilson, Kent, Ojo, Brannagan, Rossiter are talents who could play for the Ajax or Sportings of this world quite easily, no need to underrate them.

I can't be bothered getting into a big argument but I think we over rate our kids, not under rate them.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76747 on: September 16, 2014, 12:34:24 pm »
I can't be bothered getting into a big argument but I think we over rate our kids, not under rate them.

You're entitled to your own opinion, but i'm inclined to disagree, we overrate them in comparison to who? Can't think of many more academies in the world with the talent we have at our disposal, Wilson, Ojo, Rossiter, Kent are all some of the best talents in this country, all look to have the capabilities to break into the first team in the near future, apart from that in the older age groups we've got the likes of Suso, Ibe, Sterling. If anything i would say we were over saturated with a wealth of talent especially in attacking positions, not all of them can will make it here, but i guarantee that a good majority of those named would have solid top flight careers, i don't think there are many academies in this country who can boast of that.

Offline Dakota

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #76748 on: September 16, 2014, 12:40:13 pm »
Still, way more interested in what happens when we face Real Madrid as I think that will tell us a lot more about our academy's standing on a global level.

Most Real Madrid canteranos train to be moved on to Levante, maybe Sevilla if they're really good, it's hardly a standard bearer for growing your own. It will be far tougher opposition than what our reserves face on a regular basis, but globally? Nah. 
Thinking about crowdfunding a Save The Piano Movers! charitable association.

Offline KennyDaggers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #76749 on: September 16, 2014, 12:44:54 pm »

You're entitled to your own opinion, but i'm inclined to disagree, we overrate them in comparison to who? Can't think of many more academies in the world with the talent we have at our disposal, Wilson, Ojo, Rossiter, Kent are all some of the best talents in this country, all look to have the capabilities to break into the first team in the near future, apart from that in the older age groups we've got the likes of Suso, Ibe, Sterling. If anything i would say we were over saturated with a wealth of talent especially in attacking positions, not all of them can will make it here, but i guarantee that a good majority of those named would have solid top flight careers, i don't think there are many academies in this country who can boast of that.

I've expressed my concerns in the past about how poor our collective group of u18s are. Ojo, Rossiter and Kent, they're good players but they're not regulars in the national team never mind the best talent in this country.

To break into our team you've got to be special, Sterling is, Ibe potentially is IMO. I'd bet none of the others go on to be regulars / play here.

Offline SwordInYourGut

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #76750 on: September 16, 2014, 12:45:43 pm »

Sporting sold four of their best prospects though. Bruma (for £8.5m with united offering £15m) , Tex and Ilori to liverpool (Ilori having broken through) and Edgar Le to Barca B. They still have Esgaio, Carlos Mane, Joao Mario, Betinho,Felipe Chaby, Medeiros left over on the fringes of the first team. Now, sure, none of them (probably even put together) has made as many appearances as Sterling but I think there is a very valid argument to suggest that he is an exception in such comparisons rather than the norm. Flanagan also has done well. Wisdom and Suso are on the fringes and thats about it really. At best one can add that we made something out of Coady and Robinson. There is a clear difference in numbers reaching the fringes of the first team.

Regarding current crop, I have high hopes but I'm not going to jump the bandwagon and suggest they are one of the best crops in the world. I'll probably judge after the youth league as next gen gave me very good insight into where that particular batch stood compared to others in Europe. That liverpool team was way better than what they showed but still nowhere near the level of Ajax and Sporting.

Offline Coolie High

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #76751 on: September 16, 2014, 01:06:07 pm »
Sporting sold four of their best prospects though. Bruma (for £8.5m with united offering £15m) , Tex and Ilori to liverpool (Ilori having broken through) and Edgar Le to Barca B. They still have Esgaio, Carlos Mane, Joao Mario, Betinho,Felipe Chaby, Medeiros left over on the fringes of the first team. Now, sure, none of them (probably even put together) has made as many appearances as Sterling but I think there is a very valid argument to suggest that he is an exception in such comparisons rather than the norm. Flanagan also has done well. Wisdom and Suso are on the fringes and thats about it really. At best one can add that we made something out of Coady and Robinson. There is a clear difference in numbers reaching the fringes of the first team.

Regarding current crop, I have high hopes but I'm not going to jump the bandwagon and suggest they are one of the best crops in the world. I'll probably judge after the youth league as next gen gave me very good insight into where that particular batch stood compared to others in Europe. That liverpool team was way better than what they showed but still nowhere near the level of Ajax and Sporting.

How is there a clear difference, from that Sporting side, Ilori Bruma and Mane were the only ones to feature constantly. Compared to our side, Flannagan and Sterling our regular starters, and the likes of Suso and Wisodom has made more appearances in our first team, and in top flight football in general than any one of Betinho, Chaby and Joao Mario put together.  Since the thrashing to Sporting a couple years ago, we've been just as productive in pushing players through to the first team, all while playing in a better league, with far more competition, they haven't outperformed us despite the convincing defeat we suffered to them  a few years ago.

And to be honest this crop of players might be even more talented, its not about jumping on the bandwagon its about realizing the talent we have at our disposal. You don't need a youth league to realize that the likes of Wilson, Kent, Ojo could play for any youth team in the world, in a day and age where we recruit players from all across the world, its pretty easy to gauge just how talented our players are in comparison to our competitors on the continent.

Afterall, both Chirvella and Canos were hailed as two of the best talents in their age group in Spain before they came here, Chirivella actually captaining the Spain u17's, while both being very good talents, they don't blow the likes of Rossiter or Wilson out the water talent wise, put Rossiter and Wilson in Barca or Ajax setup and they still stand out as two of the top talents in each respectable academy, they are that good and just because they're not on the continent doesn't mean we should underrate them.

Looking back at it, when we played them Ajax and Sporting looked much more superior to us, but at the time many people were saying its because their weakest players were better than our weaker players. Years on that looks to be true, Fischer and Klassen have made the step up, but none look any more talented than Suso and Sterling has blown the whole lot of them out of the water, even if we don't produce great results in the youth league, it doesn't mean that our players or any less talented, at the end of the day its about bringing players through and we have been just as successful in doing that as Ajax and Sporting have in the last couple years since we played them, all while playing in a more competitive league.

Offline Simulated Mind

• Boys Pen
« Reply #76752 on: September 16, 2014, 01:09:29 pm »
Any one with any knowledge about youth football in Bulgaria? I predict a thrashing for their first team, but I've seen too much of youth football to be that naive about u19 level matches. Still, way more interested in what happens when we face Real Madrid as I think that will tell us a lot more about our academy's standing on a global level.

I already posted something similar in the betting thread, but anyway - Bulgarian youth academies are corrupt, have very poor conditions (aside from a few exceptions like Litex Lovech who are making the biggest transfers out lately) and fail to produce talent. Moreover, Ludogorets is basically a new project and their main academy prospects are mostly CSKA/Levski/Slavia talents brought to the squad in the last couple of years. This means they can't meet UEFA's criteria on player eligibility and Ludogorets will most probably field a younger side. And to add to that, Ludogorets currently don't play a U19 side in the Bulgarian U19 league and their U17 side is currently 5th in their respective competition.

To conclude, I think the difference in talent between Liverpool and Ludogorets' youth sides is far greater than the difference in talent between their first teams, mainly because the youth academies here are really poor (youth players lack tactical knowledge and physique) and because Ludogorets' first team consists mainly of foreigners. And I have little knowledge on what players will Liverpool's youth play today but I'm pretty convinced they'll win comfortably.

And I'm sure that if Real's youth team plays seriously they could pile up some goals, maybe 7-8 easily.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 01:12:46 pm by Simulated Mind »

Offline Coolie High

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #76753 on: September 16, 2014, 01:09:57 pm »
I've expressed my concerns in the past about how poor our collective group of u18s are. Ojo, Rossiter and Kent, they're good players but they're not regulars in the national team never mind the best talent in this country.

To break into our team you've got to be special, Sterling is, Ibe potentially is IMO. I'd bet none of the others go on to be regulars / play here.

Not true, Rossiter was a regular with u 17s, alongside Ledson for a while. Its actually due to us always withdrawing him that he lost his place in the England side, as the England setup for other players who actually responded to the call ups and played a part were more deserving. Saying that though, he is recognized as one of the key players of that group alongside Ledson, Crowley, and formerly Roberts.

Ojo regularly gets called up and starts for the same side, he isn't considered as important as Rossiter but he still plays.

Kent regularly starts for the age group higher.

Wilson has already made his first team appearance for Wales.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 01:12:11 pm by Coolie High »

Offline just Riggins?

• seeks man with gsoh 28-36. Likes a man in uniform.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76754 on: September 16, 2014, 01:10:30 pm »
Team

Firth, Maguire, Hart, Cleary, Brewitt, Rossiter, Kent, Brannagan, Sinclair, O'Hanlon, Ojo

Canos, Jackson, Wilson, Phillips, Chirivella, Roberts, Whelan

Decent bench.

Offline MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76755 on: September 16, 2014, 01:13:51 pm »
Wilson is way overhyped because of his Wales cap. Won't make it for the first team. The players i see with the best chances are Rossiter,Ojo, & Brannagan.

Offline Coolie High

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #76756 on: September 16, 2014, 01:15:24 pm »
Wilson is way overhyped because of his Wales cap. Won't make it for the first team. The players i see with the best chances are Rossiter,Ojo, & Brannagan.

Wilson is hyped because he was the standout talent in the u18s group, ahead of the likes of Ojo.

Offline KennyDaggers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #76757 on: September 16, 2014, 01:17:13 pm »
Not true, Rossiter was the regular with u 17s, alongside Ledson for a while. Its actually due to us always withdrawing him that he lost his place in the England side, as the England setup for other players who actually responded to the call ups and played a part were more deserving. Saying that though, he is recognized as one of the key players of that group alongside Ledson, Crowley, and formerly Roberts.

Ojo regularly gets called up and starts for the same side, he isn't considered as important as Rossiter but he still plays.

Kent regularly starts for the age group higher.

Wilson has already made his first team appearance for Wales.

As I said earlier I can't be bothered arguing over this again but Rossiter isn't and hasn't been a regular first choice.

England picked the best players available to them and took a squad to the Euros to win it, which they did. We couldn't stop anyone going and Rossiter was massively disappointed not to be selected.

It means nothing as it's only someone's opinion but it just confirms what I have expressed in the past and that's our 18's aren't as good as they should be.

Offline MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76758 on: September 16, 2014, 01:20:02 pm »
Wilson is hyped because he was the standout talent in the u18s group, ahead of the likes of Ojo.
Not in the last 6 months. Ojo has been the standout.

Offline stevelecool

• Main Stander
« Reply #76759 on: September 16, 2014, 01:22:44 pm »
As I said earlier I can't be bothered arguing over this again but Rossiter isn't and hasn't been a regular first choice.

England picked the best players available to them and took a squad to the Euros to win it, which they did. We couldn't stop anyone going and Rossiter was massively disappointed not to be selected.

It means nothing as it's only someone's opinion but it just confirms what I have expressed in the past and that's our 18's aren't as good as they should be.
"It means nothing as it's only someone's opinion but it just confirms"

10/10. Twiffic stuff.