Author Topic: Babel: I'm not finished here  (Read 148347 times)

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You never saw me. I was never here.
Re: Babel: I'm not finished here
« Reply #1440 on: December 17, 2010, 06:17:52 am »
How some of you call yourself fans is beyond me. Kuyt puts in worse performances week in and out and ismloved.

Kuyt does a lot of "unseen" work you probably don't care to notice and brings a hell of a lot to the side than you care to give him credit for.

This is what we do. And we do it very well. Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bM8gOyjeuc

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #1441 on: December 17, 2010, 08:03:10 am »
Played well against Villa n got dropped, Saw torres play crap against newcaslte and was brought on because n'gog got injured hes in then out the team even when he plays well, its bount do dent his confidence

Offline liverpoolfcmike

• custom title thread lurker - easily amused
  • Legacy Fan
  • through the wind and rain (and fog)
« Reply #1442 on: December 17, 2010, 08:13:03 am »
Like they say, you're only as good as your last game...

Awful saying.

Offline LiamG

• Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #1443 on: December 17, 2010, 08:15:08 am »
People will only remember his bad performance on Wednesday rather than his decent performances against Villa and Steau!

Offline d gorgeous one haz spoken

• and said "You're ugly"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1444 on: December 17, 2010, 10:23:01 am »
you can't expect babel to put in performances when his teammates are mostly subpar, give him a run in with the real 1st team and not a reserves side every time.

Offline bleedsred1978

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Get Behind Brendan Rodgers
« Reply #1445 on: December 17, 2010, 10:24:08 am »
Did he give an interview to "That" newspaper?
From here on in its all FSG's doing. Good or bad they will stand or fall by the decisions they have made in the summer of 2012. Lets hope they have gotten it right.

Offline xerxes1

• Arch Revisionist. Lord Marmaduke of Bunkerton. Has no agenda other than the truth. Descendant of Prince John.
  • Legacy Fan
  • L-I-V,E-R-P-,double OL, Liverpool FC.
« Reply #1446 on: December 17, 2010, 10:31:07 am »
It's good to see at least one player bigging up Roy.

I have consistently advocated giving hime a chance, but I have to say that when he has played, he hasn't inspired me.

There is a debate to be had about how good we are with some of our foreign players. The Spanish contingent have been able to help each other, but I am concerned that the likes of Babel, Ngog, Voronin,Aquilani were lefy to their own devices under G&H. And its something which hopefully Comolli will help to get right.
"I've never felt being in a minority of one was in any way an indication that I might be in error"

Offline penga

• What you get if you cross Pingu with Jenga.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1447 on: December 17, 2010, 11:01:22 am »
he's played less under roy than under rafa but lol...

was pretty poor on wednesday, missed a lot of wall passes

maybe put off by the constant boos everytime he touched the ball and  the abuse of his mum, doubt that happened too many times in his career

Offline LiamG

• Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #1448 on: December 17, 2010, 11:18:32 am »
He was poor but there were players on the pitch worse than him

But like i said before, people only remember his bad performances

Offline IndianaRed

• Aaarghhh!!!!... my eyes!!!!... my eyes!!!!..
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1449 on: December 17, 2010, 11:26:20 am »
i will never be come down on babel until he's had 3-5 starts in a row in meaningful games, not just the odd europa league game.. and if he plays poorly during that, then yeah maybe it's time to move him on.  but for me, if we sell him before he's had a run of starts, we might as well have never bought him because we never gave him a proper chance anyway.  i think he has the talent, he has the heart (underneath all this twitter and rap and perry mystique and all that stuff he's a good lad, check out his website and watch some of the video interviews), and he's not the type to not give his best, and a bit of consistency in team selection would do well to bring that out of him.  he's always had to fight for a spot in the team so giving less than his best is not an option for him.  for a long time this season he hasn't even made the bench...  knowing how well he's done for us as a SUB over the years, this is a mistake.  he's not THAT shite that he doesn't at least deserve a spot on the bench while real shite like poulsen is in there regularly.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 11:30:45 am by IndianaRed »

Offline penga

• What you get if you cross Pingu with Jenga.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1450 on: December 17, 2010, 11:38:35 am »
"But that position [central] suits me a bit better because you can use most of your energy up front. Maybe on the wing you have to defend a bit more and maybe that suits me less."

That just explains it all about his career here and his mindset when he used to be "lazy".

4-3-3 would actually be the best for him and the team: Lucas, Meireles, Gerrard in the middle and Torres centre forward with Babel and Ngog/Maxi/Kuyt on as the wide forwards. As 1 of the front 3 he can use all his attributes (pace, cross, dribble, shot), not be as isolated of service and not have to track back as much as Roy requires for a normal winger (although when he is asked to play there he is willing to do the defensive work). Would get the best out of him and all the rest of the players except maybe Ngog who is maybe better suited to the 4-4-2. This will never happen under Roy and it would still interesting to see if Babel could play with Torres in 4-4-2.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 11:40:12 am by penga »

Offline dioufythebrave

• but Dim.
  • Kopite
« Reply #1451 on: December 17, 2010, 04:01:01 pm »
i wish people would stop with the dirk kuyt effort thing. ok he chases people down and puts pressure on them but he cant beat a player, and as a "winger or wideman" thats hard to stomach.... and  when he gets posession, he gives the ball away more often than not.....
people criticise babel's decision making in and around the box but kuyt is far worse
if you wanna be the best you gotta beat the best

I'll make two predictions of this...Carroll won't score 3 PL goals total for the rest of the year and we won't score 5 against any team all year.  We might still get CL football without either happening.

Offline Cadno

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1452 on: December 17, 2010, 04:13:52 pm »
He was poor but there were players on the pitch worse than him

But like i said before, people only remember his bad performances
The problem is that there have been so few actual good performances its hard to look past that. Sure there have been flashes of promise but you could could the number of times he has played well the whole time on the pitch on one hand.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former"  - Albert Einstein

Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain(Was talking about H&G)

"When you can't walk, you crawl. When you can't crawl, you get a friend to carry you" - Firefly

Offline SkinHimHesShite

• 80 kgs benchpressed, but are we impressed?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1453 on: December 17, 2010, 04:17:21 pm »
hate to say it, because i am one of those that has faith in his talent, but i think its contract negotiating time and he's just trying to push for another lucrative deal.

Offline GrkStav

• Has a statuette of Lucas on the bonnet of his car which he polishes lovingly with Lucas Brasso. Glen Johnson's biggest fan. Doesn't have a "fucken clue" where L4 is
  • Legacy Fan
  • Not very good at 'banter'.
« Reply #1454 on: December 17, 2010, 06:01:05 pm »
RAWK makes you laugh. Torres plays shite up front, fluffs chances (in the same team that plays every week) but he's playing shit because the team isnt helping him and long balls are getting smashed up to him.

Then. Babel plays in a team which is not regular, full of bit part players and youth, gets scraps and high balls lumped to him. And guess whay, Babel needs to win more balls in the air and is labelled as being shite and after one bad game coming off the back of some impressive performances people say he's shown why he cant play up front. Because he didnt play well in a meaningless game full of bit part players.

Mate, not everyone who has been critical of Babel has been giving Torres an easy time or excusing his poor performances by referring to the infamous 'lack of service'.

What we agree on is this: He did not play well vs Utrecht. The rest is immaterial with regard to whether he should get another start.

Kuyt has had some decidedly sub-par performances going forward as well, but he grafts and defends like his life and career depend on it. Maybe that's why managers tend to give him the benefit of the doubt. As for Torres, whatever the reason is (I think it has to do with his skill-set not being what Roy desires in a 'center forward'), he's been very ineffective, especially with his back to the opponents' goal.
Ludi Circenses!

Offline its cold in the stands

• e e cummings
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1455 on: December 17, 2010, 08:02:59 pm »
every flair player has poor games, ronaldo and nani had plenty of them in their early years at united, ferguson even ripped ronaldo in the press about his step overs and then about 6 months later about his final ball.
didnt stop ferguson playing him though, and ferguson kept on playing nani when even uniteds fans thought he was utter shite, look how good he`s been this season though.
babel signed for the wrong club, he needed to sign for a club that believes in attacking the opposition, not a club that wants to stop the opposition playing.

Offline GrkStav

• Has a statuette of Lucas on the bonnet of his car which he polishes lovingly with Lucas Brasso. Glen Johnson's biggest fan. Doesn't have a "fucken clue" where L4 is
  • Legacy Fan
  • Not very good at 'banter'.
« Reply #1456 on: December 17, 2010, 08:10:36 pm »
every flair player has poor games, ronaldo and nani had plenty of them in their early years at united, ferguson even ripped ronaldo in the press about his step overs and then about 6 months later about his final ball.
didnt stop ferguson playing him though, and ferguson kept on playing nani when even uniteds fans thought he was utter shite, look how good he`s been this season though.
babel signed for the wrong club, he needed to sign for a club that believes in attacking the opposition, not a club that wants to stop the opposition playing.

What does all that have to do with how he played against Utrecht? Was he or was he not totally ineffective? Did he or did he not manage to make a single, correct pass in the final third?

What you seem to be saying is that there is such a high possible upside to him that he should get away with playing awful for a few games. I don't see it. He ain't no Torres, after all.
Ludi Circenses!

Online fredfrop

• 19*
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1457 on: December 17, 2010, 08:12:27 pm »
smh

you know u jus gotta gnr

legoo  ynwa

like revrunwisdom always sez :life is a box of trite platitudes

Offline OLDIE

• WORLDIE
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1458 on: December 17, 2010, 08:15:25 pm »
No Ryan has had a few games will the Babel fans finally accept that he is shite, absolutely dire.

Anyone comes in with an offer we should take the money and fucking run - even if we dont buy anyone. To me he is that bad, only PFK and Poulson are worse players in the squad.

Fuck me I never thought Ryan wouldn't be our worst player ! ROY you fucker why did you buy them !!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline scouse29

• Legacy Fan
  • Koppite
« Reply #1459 on: December 17, 2010, 08:19:31 pm »
The lad was played in probably his prefered position Wednesday but at times he seems to be unsure himself at to what he intends to do himself. How anyone else is supposed to play around him is beyond me. He tries in vain at times but he cant bring other players into the game and use the ball inteligently. He has little hope of becomning a fans favourite here.
The Liverpool way!!!

Online fredfrop

• 19*
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1460 on: December 17, 2010, 08:21:21 pm »
The lad was played in probably his prefered position Wednesday but at times he seems to be unsure himself at to what he intends to do himself. How anyone else is supposed to play around him is beyond me. He tries in vain at times but he cant bring other players into the game and use the ball inteligently. He has little hope of becomning a fans favourite here.
haters always gunna hate, sez PerrYM

Offline scouse29

• Legacy Fan
  • Koppite
« Reply #1461 on: December 17, 2010, 08:26:00 pm »
Dont hate the guy, a fair amount of talent in his boots but he cant perform on a regular basis
The Liverpool way!!!

Offline LiamG

• Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #1462 on: December 17, 2010, 08:49:08 pm »
The problem is that there have been so few actual good performances its hard to look past that. Sure there have been flashes of promise but you could could the number of times he has played well the whole time on the pitch on one hand.
Im on about recently, in the last couple of weeks hes put some decent performances in, but people only remember his bad one from wednesday thats my point

Offline Torben Piechniks Y-Fronts

• Kopite
  • A Liverbird, upon my chest
« Reply #1463 on: December 17, 2010, 08:53:42 pm »
For various reasons, Babel's time is gone.

He has something, sometimes but is a long way from any sort of consistency and no manager under the intense scrutiny at Livepool will have the opportunity to give him time to find.
Pity in a way but in my book the blame lies mostly with the player.
"Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool."

Online fredfrop

• 19*
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1464 on: December 17, 2010, 09:16:59 pm »
Dont hate the guy, a fair amount of talent in his boots but he cant perform on a regular basis
sorry for the misunderstanding, my last two posts were done in the style of Ryan's tweets.

Offline gallden

• bols
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1465 on: December 17, 2010, 11:24:40 pm »
SMH the crucifixion of Ryan Babel continues. 

Offline Raoul Duke

• Is Boris Johnson.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1466 on: December 17, 2010, 11:33:27 pm »
This lad eh. What a complete waste of money that eleven and a half million was. Talk about having your confidence completely destroyed and your ability squandered.
Fool, if it wasn't for Sergei here, both you and your cousin be cadaverous mo'fuckers.

Offline Azi

• eckerslike
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1467 on: December 18, 2010, 12:23:35 am »
is it too simple to think we could offer villa cash plus babel for young ?

Offline KFC

• Legacy Fan
  • We go again.
« Reply #1468 on: December 18, 2010, 12:44:23 am »
He still doesn't get it.

As I said 3 years ago, the problem of Babel is in his head : he thinks he needs a run of game to show his true self, but unfortunately he needs to show his true self first in training, etc in order to win him a run of games.
We won it 6 times

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1469 on: December 18, 2010, 12:47:17 am »
He still doesn't get it.

As I said 3 years ago, the problem of Babel is in his head : he thinks he needs a run of game to show his true self, but unfortunately he needs to show his true self first in training, etc in order to win him a run of games.
If a player delivers on a Saturday then training doesn't really matter.

The likes of Hansen, McGrath, Ledley King never train. Clearly Babel has also never done it consistently on a Saturday but one of Rafa's faults was that he picked his team a lot from form in training, it's Saturdays that count.

Offline Fuzion6

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1470 on: December 18, 2010, 12:57:24 am »
Kuyt must be one hell of a trainer cos he been shite on match day this season. Roy has very defined ideas bout his firstnteam and reserve team - not much gonna change that.

Offline LiamG

• Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #1471 on: December 18, 2010, 08:14:49 am »
He still doesn't get it.

Tevez was never a good trainer at united im sure i read, because he was saving all his energy for them on a weekend

Offline Milly

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • JFT 96
« Reply #1472 on: December 18, 2010, 08:29:19 am »
Tevez was never a good trainer at united im sure i read, because he was saving all his energy for them on a weekend

Tevez is a Bi-Polar moron who doesn't know how lucky he is earning all that money, still can't be arsed to put a shift in... Boo-Hoo it's a bit cold to go jogging every morning for £200k+ ..... Tw@t
Smash it ??

Offline LiamG

• Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #1473 on: December 18, 2010, 08:36:35 am »
But is still a quality player

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1474 on: December 18, 2010, 08:39:18 am »
Tevez is a Bi-Polar moron who doesn't know how lucky he is earning all that money, still can't be arsed to put a shift in... Boo-Hoo it's a bit cold to go jogging every morning for £200k+ ..... Tw@t
I couldn't be arsed what a player did in training if they performed like Tevez every Saturday.

People are different. So long as they are fit then it's only what happens in games that counts.

Offline spinaltapped

• Flesh tuxedo?
  • Legacy Fan
  • Rico Suavez
« Reply #1475 on: December 18, 2010, 08:56:26 am »
As mentioned, it's all a mental problem.

His touch and shots and his passing is average to above average, but the problem comes in when it is time for him to implement one of these skills. He will panic and make the wrong decision 7 out of 10 times against a team that is decent defensively. He more than any other striker on our team seems to be very fickle with his confidence.

Which isn't a HUGE problem if he is only coming on as a sub, as he has less time to think himself out of the game and there's not the pressure of having to hold down a level of play. He is just able to go balls out and hope it works for him, and that seems to work for him.

But when he starts, he has all  the added pressure of trying to hold onto a new spot and higher expectations in terms of performance and he is on the pitch for longer which leaves him more time to worry and have his confidence wrecked. He gets anxious and makes silly mistakes. And then come the fireworks. He will make bad passes, he will dribble into defenders, and he will be caught in offsides position three or four times in the game.

Ordinarily, the best option would be to hold onto him as an impact substitute; because he has had some great performances in those circumstances...

BUT I cannot justify resigning him for another contract anytime in the near future. I don't know how high his wages are, but even based simply upon his estimated trade value, 15 million is MUCH to much to pay for a player who doesn't at least have potential to earn a regular spot in the starting 11 and I just don't think Babel ever will.

We should honestly just cut our losses while he's still young enough to at least have some of the "he is an oil-well of untapped potential" appeal that he does now.  My personal opinion is that 24-25 years old is around the time when a player fully loses the talented youngster appeal amongst managers and Babel is already 23. I promise that his cost is going to plummet once he reaches his middle 20's if he's still on our bench. Sell him for the 12/13 million that we will get now before the jig is up and his value begins to plummet like the Hindenburg.

I should add that I don't hate Babel or think he's shit, but he is nowhere close to either match the value of which the club bought him for or the expectations of the supporters. Maybe we did put him in an unfair spot by hyping him so much and adding all of that stress, but that comes with being a costly transfer and that excuse doesn't gather sympathy for too long ordinarily. Unfortunately, he just wasn't worth the time and money spent.

He's a good lad and I hope he gets it figured out in the future and he is able to reach his peak ability at a club that appreciates him. I'm just out of patience with the boy. It's like I'm a battered wife, I keep taking you back after you hurt me so bad. It's time for him to move out of the house (and file a restraining order).
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 08:59:27 am by spinaltapped »

Offline dioufythebrave

• but Dim.
  • Kopite
« Reply #1476 on: December 18, 2010, 10:22:41 am »
he got 3 games where he performed decent to very good in, then he plays a 4th game with a makeshift put together team full of youngsters, played up top with a player making his first start, in a deadrubber,he plays below average,(other players were worse on the night i might add)
and he is suddenly not able to do it again....

i wish people would realise( and i mean the ones that want to stick with kuyt and maxi on the wings) babel is worth the "risk" of been given a run in the side, cos the ones currently in it playing safe and sideward passes are not getting the job done....
id rather take the risk with babel, let him lose the ball, let him foul, at least he will pose a threat to the opposition goal at least a few times a game, whether its a cross, a shot, or winning a free kick
if you wanna be the best you gotta beat the best

I'll make two predictions of this...Carroll won't score 3 PL goals total for the rest of the year and we won't score 5 against any team all year.  We might still get CL football without either happening.

Offline gallden

• bols
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1477 on: December 18, 2010, 01:47:16 pm »
It's not as if we'll be any worse if he does get this mystical run of games.

Offline Breitner

• Charles 'Charlie' Charles says: "No more tactics God damn you. This is Association Football!"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1478 on: December 18, 2010, 01:52:16 pm »
He's just not very good. We're clinging to the hype in the hope that he miraculously develops a brain. Saying that I'd still have him in the side because he's got the attributes we desperately lack, which is proof of just how dire our options are at the moment.
If you can't trust Kenny, you need to find another club, seriously.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #1479 on: December 18, 2010, 01:57:47 pm »
He's just not very good. We're clinging to the hype in the hope that he miraculously develops a brain. Saying that I'd still have him in the side because he's got the attributes we desperately lack, which is proof of just how dire our options are at the moment.
[massive fall out cos I don't agree with someone on RAWK] Personally, I would of started him against the geordies, the west ham game is the first time I've seen him look hungry for the ball the entire time he was on the pitch. You never know, he may just think under a new regime he may! have a different outlook on his future? [/massive fall out cos I don't agree with someone on RAWK]

@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family