Author Topic: Brendan Rodgers and the New Breed of Fan  (Read 18280 times)

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
Brendan Rodgers and the New Breed of Fan
« on: May 31, 2012, 10:29:43 pm »
There’s the faithful, the traditionalists, the in-the-knowers, the Fatties, the auld arses, the Urchins, the wools, the Football Managers, the Irregulars, the connoisseurs, purists and the knee-jerkers.

Deep down, they all have one common bond. And that is that they mean well. In their own minds, they want what is best for Liverpool Football Club.

Over the years though, there has been a new group developing. Spreading like bacteria.

The ‘I told you so’ers’, the revellers.  The self-righteous and the arrogant.

And - if I’m totally honest - I’d be lying if I said I could never have been accused of falling into that category in the past. I’d say we all have. And don’t get me wrong. There’s a great satisfaction to surveying the scene with the benefit of hindsight and saying, ‘if only you’d listened’. I'm not sure of the psychology behind it, but it is gratifying on some level.

With that said, though, there is a certain grace with which you execute this particular endeavour. And it’s one that most of us learn as a child. ‘Far worse than a bad loser is a bad winner’.

But what does a supporter 'win' by being smug that their pessimistic prophecy came true? Somewhere along the line, the idea of being a football ‘supporter’ has become obscured. The reasons why are complicated – it’s like a jigsaw box tipped out over the floor. From afar, it makes little or no sense at all. Pick up individual pieces, however, and you might encounter the words ‘SKY’, ‘Italia 90’ and ‘safe standing’. Today, not only is the concept of ‘support’ archaic, it’s actively sneered at by certain quarters. Don’t believe me? Check Twitter any time we don’t beat a side 6-0. Maybe these people deserve their own category. The ‘too cool for schoolers’. Individuals who form a sub-sect, appearing apathetic to victories but who crawl out from under their stones when things begin to go wrong, retweeting 132 year old tweets from themselves.

Liverpool fans were often painted as being blindly loyal. I’m not sure how accurate that assessment is anymore or why most of the country ever saw it as an insult. For me, getting behind the team and manager was always part of that very indistinct notion of ‘The Liverpool Way’. Times do change. We don’t need reminding of the fact. The Roy Hodgson ‘era’ for me was summed up by a sole Kopite standing to his feet toward the end of a comfortable 3-0 win over Aston Villa and ironically chanting “there’s only one Roy Hodgson!” Cue schoolchild giggles from those in his vicinity.

I guess one could argue we are still in a hangover period from those rather grim days. But what was the excuse for booing off the side that just went top of the Barclay’s Premier League table in December 2008? Our values have been distorted and have been since the march prior to a Champions League home game versus Porto in November 2007. Back then, all we wanted was the league title. Now all we want is fourth. Fans’ minds have been scrambled by having success they didn’t deserve taken away from them. Anfield is a place where the confused congregate fortnightly, as the woman behind my seat in the ground who, without any hint of irony, will shout “Carroll’s shite!” and “get behind the team!” within thirty seconds of one another will testify.

At Anfield today, there is an unwritten, vaguely telepathic, ranking system. The side always has its Officer Cadets. And if say, for instance, one of these Officer Cadets tries a forty yard pass that surrenders possession, they will usually be met with cries of derision from the stands. If, on the other hand, the same ball had been played by Steven Gerrard, the side’s Class 1 Warrant Officer, he’d be met with a distinctively different response.

To hear the coveted words – “Unlucky lad” – after such a pass is the crowd’s way of letting that player know he is finally making his way up the ranking system. At Liverpool, you either grow thick skin quickly, or you’re best getting on the next train leaving Lime Street.

Stadiums across the country in 2012 are filled with a very different type of person I grew up in awe of. ‘Consumers’ sit and sneer where the working classes once stood and supported. And, as consumers, people have inevitably begun to demand a right to a certain standard on show. A “value table” that weighs up the price of a season ticket against the amount of goals scored and the cost of pies and programmes is now released annually that would have previously not looked out of place as a satirical magazine filler piece in the 80s.

Football is a pantomime. We boo the villains and we cheer the heroes. (And in the case of Charlie Adam, you’ll often hear The Kop screaming ‘He’s behind you!’ too.) But football isn’t theatre. Theatre doesn’t make or break weekends. Football is about passion. So, in this age of Twitter and phone-ins and football forums and whatever else, it is inevitable people will utilise these mediums to vent, spurt and quibble. We live in an information age where every Tom, Dick and Harry not only has their opinion, but also a multitude of mediums available to convey them on.

The only problem is that fan’s opinions and their subsequent arguments are always black or white. Never grey. Which would be fine if it weren’t for the fact that Liverpool Football Club right now are very much in a grey area.

FSG sacked their Class 1 Warrant Officer and hired an Officer Cadet. And over the next three seasons as a minimum, we need to be giving our new recruits the unwavering support usually bestowed only to our selected elite. Other sides worldwide, and indeed domestically, may point to evidence that suggests otherwise, but for us right now we must focus on the old adage that stability is key. We have an impressionable squad with a manager who is focussed on installing adaptable, modern tactics. But the fans need to buy into the philosophy every bit as much as the players.

The fans are Liverpool’s greatest commodity. The benefit of having the fans behind you is proven year-in-year-out. The Officer Cadets among the team are usually awarded four or five days off, when the big teams roll into town, and you can visibly see the lift it gives them. They’ll run that extra ten yards to stop a ball going out of play, they’ll go into tackles with that extra gusto and they’ll give that extra 10%

Next year is another one of transition, whether we like it or not. And there will be moments of frustration as we try to integrate ourselves into a new system with a new style of play. And as of now we’re either in a very unenviable, exposed position, or a hugely exciting, attractive one. It’s what we, as one, make of it.

Come on you Mighty Reds!

« Last Edit: June 1, 2012, 10:41:50 am by Garstonette »

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Brendan Rodgers and the New Breed of Fan
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 10:36:55 pm »
Got nothing much to add except excellent post mate.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 10:39:14 pm »
I told you so
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

http://misterinobody.weebly.com/

Offline Redd Foxx

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • It's the big one!
    • Herzog & Young - San Diego Attorneys
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 10:39:44 pm »
Outstanding post - should be printed out in leaflet form and placed on every seat at Anfield next season.  Bravo.
Son, if you don't shut your lip, you're gonna feel my shoe size.

Offline andymanlfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 10:41:35 pm »
Wow, read some fantastic post over the last couple of days and this is right up there, well done lad.
"The club was great, the people were great and the people from Liverpool - the text messages, the phone calls, the emails, all the tweets I had on my Twitter account - it's unbelievable how much respect they showed me and it's also a bit emotional" - Dirk Kuyt

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 10:44:20 pm »
Nice read mate. Hope you start posting more regularly again!

Offline gomez

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 10:45:13 pm »
Fuckin brilliant Garstonite.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 10:46:07 pm »
Like that a lot....

Next year is a year of genuine transition....no harking back, no past glories... Totally new.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 10:46:28 pm »
Fantastic post.

Offline Mal

• adjusted. The Preston Heston is Aylesbury Ducked. Accepts rubbers from any Dick.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2012, 10:47:34 pm »
There’s the faithful, the traditionalists, the in-the-knowers, the Fatties, the auld arses, the Urchins, the wools, the Football Managers, the Irregulars, the connoisseurs, purists and the knee-jerkers.

Deep down, they all have one common bond. And that is that they mean well. In their own minds, they want what is best for Liverpool Football Club.

Over the years though, there has been a new group developing. Spreading like bacteria.

The ‘I told you so’ers’, the revellers.  The self-righteous and the arrogant.

And - if I’m totally honest - I’d be lying if I said I could never have been accused of falling into that category in the past. I’d say we all have. And don’t get me wrong. There’s a great satisfaction to surveying the scene with the benefit of hindsight and saying, ‘if only you’d listened’. I'm not sure of the psychology behind it, but it is gratifying on some level.

With that said, though, there is a certain grace with which you execute this particular endeavour. And it’s one that most of us learn as a child. ‘Far worse than a bad loser is a bad winner’.

But what does a supporter 'win' by being smug that their pessimistic prophecy came true? Somewhere along the line, the idea of being a football ‘supporter’ has become obscured. The reasons why are complicated – it’s like a jigsaw box tipped out over the floor. From afar, it makes little or no sense at all. Pick up individual pieces, however, and you might encounter the words ‘SKY’, ‘Italia 90’ and ‘safe standing’. Today, not only is the concept of ‘support’ archaic, it’s actively sneered at by certain quarters. Don’t believe me? Check Twitter any time we don’t beat a side 6-0. Maybe these people deserve their own category. The ‘too cool for schoolers’. Individuals who form a sub-sect, appearing apathetic to victories but who crawl out from under their stones when things begin to go wrong, retweeting 132 year old tweets from themselves.

Liverpool fans were often painted as being blindly loyal. I’m not sure how accurate that assessment is anymore or why most of the country ever saw it as an insult. For me, getting behind the team and manager was always part of that very indistinct notion of ‘The Liverpool Way’. Times do change. We don’t need reminding of the fact. The Roy Hodgson ‘era’ for me was summed up by a sole Kopite standing to his feet toward the end of a comfortable 3-0 win over Aston Villa and ironically chanting “there’s only one Roy Hodgson!” Cue schoolchild giggles from those in his vicinity.

I guess one could argue we are still in a hangover period from those rather grim days. But what was the excuse for booing off the side that just went top of the Barclay’s Premier League table in December 2008? Our values have been distorted and have been since the March prior to a Champions League home game versus Porto in November 2007. Back then, all we wanted was the league title. Now all we want is fourth. Fans’ minds have been scrambled by having success they didn’t deserve taken away from them. Anfield is a place where the confused congregate fortnightly, as the woman who, without any hint of irony, will shout “Carroll’s shite!” and “get behind the team” within thirty seconds of one another will testify.

At Anfield today, there is an unwritten, vaguely telepathic, ranking system. The side always has its Officer Cadets. And if say, for instance, one of these Officer Cadets tries a forty yard pass that surrenders possession, they will usually be met with cries of derision from the stands. If, on the other hand, the same ball had been played by Steven Gerrard, the side’s Class 1 Warrant Officer, he’d be met with a distinctively different response.

To hear the coveted words – “Unlucky lad” – after such a pass is the crowd’s way of letting that player know he is finally making his way up the ranking system. At Liverpool, you either grow thick skin quickly, or you’re best getting the next train leaving Lime Street.

Stadiums across the country in 2012 are filled with a very different type of person I grew up in awe of. ‘Consumers’ sit and sneer where the working classes once stood and supported. And, as consumers, people have inevitably begun to demand a right to a certain standard on show. A “value table” that weighs up the price of a season ticket against the amount of goals scored and the cost of pies and programmes is now released annually that would have previously not looked out of place as a satirical magazine filler piece in the 80s.

Football is a pantomime. We boo the villains and we cheer the heroes. (And in the case of Charlie Adam, you’ll often hear The Kop screaming ‘He’s behind you!’ too.) But football isn’t theatre. Theatre doesn’t make or break weekends. Football is about passion. So, in this age of Twitter and phone-ins and football forums and whatever else, it is inevitable people will utilise these mediums to vent, spurt and quibble. We live in an information age where every Tom, Dick and Harry not only has their opinion, but also a multitude of mediums available to convey them on.

The only problem is that fan’s opinions and their subsequent arguments are always black or white. Never grey. Which would be fine if it weren’t for the fact that Liverpool Football Club right now are very much in a grey area.

FSG sacked their Class 1 Warrant Officer and hired an Officer Cadet. And over the next three seasons as a minimum, we need to be giving our new recruits the unwavering support usually bestowed only to our selected elite. Other sides worldwide, and indeed domestically, may point to evidence that suggests otherwise, but for us right now we must focus on the old adage that stability is key. We have an impressionable squad with a manager who is focussed on installing adaptable, modern tactics. But the fans need to buy into the philosophy every bit as much as the players.

The fans are Liverpool’s greatest commodity. The benefit of having the fans behind you is proven year-in-year-out. The Officer Cadets among the team are usually awarded four or five days off, when the big teams roll into town, and you can visibly see the lift it gives them. They’ll run that extra ten yards to stop a ball going out of play, they’ll go into tackles with that extra gusto and they’ll give that extra 10%

Next year is another one of transition, whether we like it or not. And there will moments of frustration as we try to integrate ourselves into a new system with a new style of play. And as of now we’re either in a very unenviable, exposed position, or a hugely exciting, attractive one. It’s what we, as one, make of it.

Come on you Mighty Reds!

Top class Bri.

That bit I've emboldened; everyone needs to take note & learn when to open their keyboard gob, and more importantly, when to keep a lid on things.
@ManifoldReasons

Offline Uhoh AureliOs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fabio!
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2012, 10:47:56 pm »
Excellent.

Offline -Daws-

• Legacy Fan
  • No longer a teenage Rafa, still no goatee.
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2012, 10:54:57 pm »
Top post. It's all or nothing with most fans. He's either 'world class' or 'shite'. We were either 'dominant' or 'gutless'. And time of course waits for no man, or in our case, no man waits for time.

I'm niether overwhelmed nor underwhelmed at the moment, but I will always look for the positives and will be 100% behind the new LFC and I don't expect any miracles anytime soon. I just hope people don't get on Rodgers and the players backs if we are not in the top four by christmas.

Hate that you bought up the booing when we went top after drawing against West Ham. I felt so ashamed just watching that on TV, and the booing of Lucas as well. Some of the matchgoers are bigger fucking tools than the armchair phone in know it all gobshite.

Fortunatley (unfortunatley) this doesn't apply exlusively to Liverpool fans, it's society as a whole these days.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 10:56:43 pm by -Daws- »
It's hard enough remembering my opinions without remembering my reasons for them.

Offline casey

• Kopite
  • Justice for the 96
    • HOME OF THE EXILED-SCOUSER
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2012, 11:03:25 pm »
What a cracking post.
You won't get me flicking on a (football) phone in.  I'd rather listen to a game of chess on the radio.  Phone ins are a platform for idiots.

Offline Djimi_Case

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2012, 11:03:38 pm »
Spot on.
We are Liverpool... tralalalala...

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2012, 11:05:00 pm »
Thanks for the nice responses guys. Appreciate it.

I don't think you notice the wood for the proverbial trees when you're successful in football. I took a sabbatical from the game as other things in my life took on more significance in the 90s. When I got back in the groove of things, I saw a noticeable change in attitude among our supporters. Then the treble came. You look around you and all you see are smiles and going the game becomes your weekly highlight.

In 2002-04, there was vitriol toward Ged in some quarters. I couldn't understand it.

The same can be said of Rafa. I tend to look back at his reign with rose-tinted spectacles. Anyone that has read my posts on here over the years knows my feelings toward the man. The bastard has brought tears to my eyes more than I'd care to mention! I loved/love him and will forever be grateful for the memories he gave us. But there were certain quarters of our support who didn't feel the same.

And Roy. Well, that was easily the grimmest period of time I can personally remember as a Liverpool supporters. Then again, I did flit in and out of the Souness era.

I think these lessons are going to hit Man Utd fans hard over the next few years too personally. They won't reach the lows we have, but nor will they match their previous standards. At least, in my opinion, anyway.

Lastly, I think history is going to be kind to Kenny for not only bringing that stability to the club on the playing side, but among those in the stands too. At least I hope so, anyway.

Offline Vidocq

• chronologically challenged LFC historian
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2012, 11:06:56 pm »
you forgot "the Sky generation" group :d

good read that
"During those days I understood more than ever what 'You'll Never Walk Alone' means."  Luis Suarez

Offline Z e u s

• Greek God of Whinging. But for the good of the forum! Son of Moanus and Rhea.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2012, 11:07:57 pm »
Brilliant post.

Time we began football fans backing our side to the full again and not accounts, critics and moaning bunch of impatient beasts.

Starting at Anfield.  We have to stop only getting up for the big games.  The atmosphere against matches against Everton, City or United will be great - everyone will be singing, cheering and giving the guys a real boost.  But that should be happening in every home game, as it is easy to get up for the big games, but we need that backing and support against the teams where we have struggled against over the years, the weakers teams.  When a few miss placed passes occur in those games or we make a few too many sideways or back passes the moans and groans come out.  We can be dementors at times in those games and you can see the energy and confidence drained out of the players.

Everyone says the league is what matters - well prove it and get Anfield rocking for 19 games of the season and not just the big games or the 'one off' cup games.  Also if Henderson, Kelly or other young or new players are having a tough time, back them - don't start getting on their back or the managers - support them, hence the phrase YNWA, when they walk through a storm help them hold their head up high.

On a forum, yes make constructive criticism, if you fear a player is not right for us or need to improve in certain areas.  But on the pitch at a game, get behind the side fully.

We have enough critics from the media and rival fans giving our manager and boys stick when everything is rosey, they don't need the fans not backing them during these tough times as well.

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2012, 11:08:53 pm »
Yep.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2012, 11:14:30 pm »
Always enjoy reading your posts usually because of the ranting and raving, however this is excellent because of the beautifully controlled manner in the way it's written.

I doff my cap good sir

Offline ALANM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2012, 11:23:52 pm »
Everyone says the league is what matters - well prove it and get Anfield rocking for 19 games of the season and not just the big games or the 'one off' cup games.  Also if Henderson, Kelly or other young or new players are having a tough time, back them - don't start getting on their back or the managers - support them, hence the phrase YNWA, when they walk through a storm help them hold their head up high.

You should be knighted for that paragraph.

Arise Sir Z e u s!

Offline rednich85

• Gargantuan Wanker. Intimately linked to Keys and Gray.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay Black. That's the most important thing.
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2012, 11:25:43 pm »
Excellent.

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons."

@rednich85

Offline 5bigears

• Kemlynite
  • Eventus Stultorum Magister Est
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2012, 11:28:42 pm »
Brilliant post.

Time we began football fans backing our side to the full again and not accounts, critics and moaning bunch of impatient beasts.

Starting at Anfield.  We have to stop only getting up for the big games.  The atmosphere against matches against Everton, City or United will be great - everyone will be singing, cheering and giving the guys a real boost.  But that should be happening in every home game, as it is easy to get up for the big games, but we need that backing and support against the teams where we have struggled against over the years, the weakers teams.  When a few miss placed passes occur in those games or we make a few too many sideways or back passes the moans and groans come out.  We can be dementors at times in those games and you can see the energy and confidence drained out of the players.

On a forum, yes make constructive criticism, if you fear a player is not right for us or need to improve in certain areas.  But on the pitch at a game, get behind the side fully.

We have enough critics from the media and rival fans giving our manager and boys stick when everything is rosey, they don't need the fans not backing them during these tough times as well.
Spot on from Zeus.
And what an OP!
Now is not the time for endless recriminations.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2012, 11:29:05 pm »
should be printed out in leaflet form and placed on every seat at Anfield next season.
They won't read it mate, but people could be made to wear hats with this bit facing backwards so its in the face of the person behind you.
Next year is another one of transition, whether we like it or not. And there will be moments of frustration as we try to integrate ourselves into a new system with a new style of play. And as of now we’re either in a very unenviable, exposed position, or a hugely exciting, attractive one. It’s what we, as one, make of it.

Come on you Mighty Reds!
Except of course the person in front of jaffod, that hat must have the word 'transition' typex'd out or he'll troth for 90 minutes.

I think 95% of match-going fans will concur Garstonite, I'm not expecting much negativity unless we experience an unlikely disaster.

Offline Dirk18Kuyt

• Kopite
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2012, 11:34:27 pm »
I was sceptical and I'm impatient but screw it, I'm gonna be behind him. I've decided.  ;)

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2012, 11:35:58 pm »
And Roy. Well, that was easily the grimmest period of time I can personally remember as a Liverpool supporters. Then again, I did flit in and out of the Souness era.
The Souness era simply lasted too long, we/he should have been put out of our misery 12 months earlier at least.
I think these lessons are going to hit Man Utd fans hard over the next few years too personally. They won't reach the lows we have, but nor will they match their previous standards. At least, in my opinion, anyway.
You're right to raise it, they may not tumble to 4th from bottom, but I do seriously anticipate a hilarious fall from grace.

Offline carling

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2012, 11:37:27 pm »

This is why I keep coming back to this forum.  A hugely insightful post.

insight  (ˈɪnˌsaɪt)

— n
1.   the ability to perceive clearly or deeply; penetration
2.   a penetrating and often sudden understanding, as of a complex situation or problem
3.   psychol
    a. the capacity for understanding one's own or another's mental processes
    b. the immediate understanding of the significance of an event or action

It's something you very rarely get from football journalists, or indeed from any other public media.

But you do get it from football fans who live and breathe their club and are able to express themselves properly.  And I love to hear as much of it as possible.

Thanks for the post.

Offline LiverBirdKop

• A moron. Twice. No flies on their nullshit
  • Legacy Fan
  • 51,077 Deleted
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2012, 11:44:35 pm »
Decent post. I might buy you a pint someday.   :P

Offline Il Nina

• Legacy Fan
  • I just can't get enough...
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2012, 11:47:18 pm »
Brilliant post!

And yes it should also be seen by everyone who goes the games who are not on RAWK. I can't help but fear that certain 'supporters' will get on Rogers' back too quickly, I hope not, but if our atmosphere is anything like the season just gone, then I can't see too much progress. (edit: in terms of Fan)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 11:58:15 pm by Liverbird88 »
“Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool.”

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2012, 11:52:48 pm »
I honestly think we are in for one hell of an adventure over the next three-four years.

Cracking OP too.
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline ConqueredAllOfEurope

• Shit, just realised I can have a custom title...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2012, 11:54:56 pm »
Great OP. Everything you said was spot on.
"We have to change from doubter to believer... now"

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2012, 11:57:13 pm »
At Anfield today, there is an unwritten, vaguely telepathic, ranking system.

Which boils down everywhere, every club, and this also filters through to certain forums too.  :P
Continually on 11,420.

Offline helmboy_nige

• A diplomat... except in the face of total morons
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2012, 11:59:15 pm »
Can we just put the post at the start of every post match thread?!

Wonderfully written.  We all have a duty to LFC.  Support is key.  Good, old fashioned support.

Offline Il Nina

• Legacy Fan
  • I just can't get enough...
« Reply #32 on: June 1, 2012, 12:00:06 am »
Can we just put the post at the start of every post match thread?!

Wonderfully written.  We all have a duty to LFC.  Support is key.  Good, old fashioned support.

Good idea and in every match day programme, lol.
“Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool.”

Offline Severely

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We go again
« Reply #33 on: June 1, 2012, 12:00:46 am »
Top post, I'm very worried that our 'support' will be on Brendan's back and calling for his head the minute we lose two or three games on the run. Same goes for the detractors of the young kids, especially Carroll and Henderson. Really wish those all those people would read the OP.
HERE LIES JOSE MOURINHO

THE BALL WAS OVER THE LINE

R.I.P.

Offline McSquared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: June 1, 2012, 12:01:10 am »
Great post garstonite

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #35 on: June 1, 2012, 12:11:17 am »
Lovely stuff Brian. Spot on, every word.

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: June 1, 2012, 12:26:12 am »
I've made it clear that I was not happy with the appointment of Brendan Rodgers. It deeply disappointed me. I see no crime in saying this, and don't think its fair to paint those that disapprove of this appointment or the way FSG go about their business as a bad seed supporter. FSG bundled Dalglish out the club. The decisions they make must be placed firmly under the microscope. I personally don't trust Henry, Werner or Ayre.

But I agree that we have no choice but to get behind the new manager and afford him the time and patience to develop the team. He will get that from us. All things aside, Rodgers comes across as a deep and thoughtful character with real potential. I vehemently believe we should have not been going with potential, but with such a decision comes potentially high rewards. Bill Shankly is the greatest example of this. I really hope he succeeds.
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #37 on: June 1, 2012, 12:41:05 am »
Brilliant, Brian. You are a true credit to Liverpool supporters.

I do fear it will fall on deaf ears if things don't go perfectly very quickly. Probably as soon as preseason. And when that happens I'll be upping this post.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: June 1, 2012, 12:49:57 am »
Brilliant, Brian. You are a true credit to Liverpool supporters.

I do fear it will fall on deaf ears if things don't go perfectly very quickly. Probably as soon as preseason. And when that happens I'll be upping this post.

Those that turned on Kenny and Rafa are the ones that should take special note of Brian's post. A lot of them are probably the very same people that are currently celebrating Brendan Rodgers' appointment like he is the next Bill Shankly or Pep Guardiola.

There needs to be balance, realism and a lot of patience.

Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline Gifted Right Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: June 1, 2012, 12:51:44 am »
well said mate