Author Topic: This is the year... (mentioned in the Sunday Times)  (Read 43657 times)

Offline guest

• Legacy Fan
This is the year... (mentioned in the Sunday Times)
« on: July 24, 2008, 09:54:36 pm »
This is the year of the hungry man
Whose place is in the past
Hand in hand with ignorance and legitimate excuses

- George Michael, 'Praying for Time' (1990)

I was never a child with high expectations. I'd ask me ma and da to get us a Nintendo for Christmas but would assume the yearly threat of oranges and coals for being a naughty child would come to fruition. The delight when I'd ravenously tear off the wrapping paper and a Nintendo, complete with gun and a copy of Duck Hunt, was unbridled.

What have George Michael and Christmas got to do with Liverpool Football Club, then? Well, we have a jolly, rotund man in charge, for starters; and our team usually enjoy early success before hitting a crisis halfway through and inevitably wind-up being caught with their pants off, sliding down the table. That aside, supporting Liverpool FC the past seventeen years can be likened to the feeling you had throughout the winter months when you were younger. It was different for everyone, though.

Some kids always expected to get their presents on Christmas Day; but, as I've pointed out, I was different. Perhaps it was the footballing climate I grew up in.

I was three years of age when Liverpool last won the league championship. Growing up, the phenomenon of Fowler was sadly littered with mediocrity of Matteo and Dicks; the magic of McManaman hindered by the banality of Phil Babb's defending. Even going to Wembley twice in three years not enough to give me confidence in winning number nineteen. I'd always listen intently to my grandad tell me of how we'd been so dominant in the 70s and 80s and how the league title wouldn't stay away for long. But I was just a wide-eyed child, a victim of Souness' sub-standard buys and 8th place finishes. I never believed him.

Of course, intermingled with my happiness of a Coca-Cola Cup victory over Bolton Wanderers and the subsequent documentary detailing our win on ITV, was the disgruntlement of the older kids. The kids who asked for the Nintendo and expected it; failure to deliver this would result in a swift kick to Santa's testicles; or in footballing terms, a 'mutual termination' for Souness, Evans and Houllier.

It has always been a case of 'one bitten, twice shy' for me. After the fantastic treble of 2001, I finally expected a Nintendo (by now, a PS2) within two years, only to be heartbroken as I unwrapped Diouf, Diao and Cheyrou. Never again, I said.

Even when Rafa brought us that fifth European Cup, I still didn't expect, despite all the other kids expecting what now must have been an XBox 360. Despite the hopefulness, I knew the acquisition of Crouch wouldn't bring us the league, nor would Bellamy a year later; Bellamy thrived on space behind the defenders, something he wouldn't get at Anfield when visiting teams park the bus and the bus station in front of the goal. Even a newly-signed Mascherano and Fernando Torres, complimented by an unbeaten record heading into December, didn't lead me to believe we would win the thing we all crave the most.

What? Yes, I'm getting to George Michael soon, just a minute...

That elusive no.19 still hasn't come, thirteen years after my grandad told me it wouldn't be long. Football has changed but the one thing that hasn't is that 'league championship' honour list on Merlin sticker books.

This is the year, though.

This is the year that I'm waking up on Christmas Day and expecting something. I know it isn't a Nintendo any longer, but whatever Blu-Ray I-phone DVD vibrator which hums zipee-de-doo-dah as you shove it up your minge is all the craze these days. I expect it. It is going to be there, hand-delivered by Santa Claus himself.

It's weird, ironic, a sinister twist of fate, that George Michael released his fantastic ballad 'Praying for Time' the same year we last won the league title.

'This is the year of the hungry man' indeed. Liverpool Football Club is hungry for this league title, possibly more than ever. We have those pariahs across the M62 snapping at our heels. When I was told the league title would soon come back to Anfield, there was never an inclination from anybody that fourteen years, and eight league titles later that Manchester United could equal our proud record. Now that there is a distinct possibly it can happen, it will drive our lads harder than ever.

This is all fairytale stuff though, isn't it? Seventeen years without a title, and just when we're being threatened to be equaled and perhaps overtaken, we rise like Lazarus and bring home number nineteen. But even Cinderella had a modicum of reality. You should have seen the fucking loan repayments on that glass carriage.

And here's that reality: we're signing two top, top Premier League players. I was watching highlights of the game from Villa Park last season on LFCTV today. Barry looked heads and shoulders above his team-mates. He controlled the play, he dictated tempo; he basically did everything better than what an £18m Michael Carrick did for Manchester United. He isn't a machine like Essien, granted. But we don't need one. We need somebody who can play in the domestic league calmly and concisely. Mascherano can bulldoze his way through attacking players; Alonso, if he stays, can provide a bit of class. What Barry does better than those two however is break up play and looks for the simple ball. And that's all Gerrard, Torres, Kuyt, Babel, Benayoun and Keane need. Speaking of Keane...

He's basically here, and I don't think there'll be a more astute signing this season by any football manager in any top flight division. The man gives us options across the front four and most importantly (like Barry), he knows this league inside out. This isn't a Bellamy-style signing, or even a Crouch-style, with no disrespect to the big man. Rafa knows exactly what he wants to play next season and has acquired the man he knows will do the job to the highest standard from the start.

The signing of Keane raises questions regarding who'll be dropped to the bench. Whoever that may be, it doesn't really matter, because they'll be in good company. The new seven-sub rule has been brought in beginning this season and we're in the best position to take advantage of it. Can any other team match a bench of, for example...

Cavalieri, Hyypia, Skrtel, Benayoun, Babel, N'Gog, Voronin/Nemeth

We have Babel, United have Eagles. We have Skrtel, Chelsea have Ben Haim. And I know for a fact Benayoun is better than whatever 13 year old dear old Arsene is planning on putting there. Rafa is a man who, out of any manager in the league, utilises his 'possibilities' the most. He will thrive with an extra two options on the bench.

And so we come to the most important component. Rafa.

It's his fifth year and this is finally the squad he wants. He never really wanted Cisse, Bellamy or Pennant. He could have gone for Queresma, Silva, Villa, Moutinho... but he has chosen Barry and Keane. He saw what a lot of us saw last season, particularly in the second half of it. A side that is capable of winning the league with a few missing ingredients. Sack off all this 'last piece of the jigsaw' nonsense, because Rafa would never adhere to such a strict structure. He has identified his targets and, it would appear, he has got them. For anyone who complains that we need to sign 'world class wingers' are missing two vital components of that: one, there aren't any around; and secondly, we don't play with wingers. We have three players who drift in and around Torres, but very rarely do they go massively wide. That's why we've signed two attacking full-backs. If you noted the first few glimpses of them, they don't bomb crosses into the box... they simply get forward and support the front four. This is how we gained the most goals last season and Rafa has acted upon this.

As George Michael sang: 'Whose place is in the past // Hand in hand with ignorance and legitimate excuses'. For the past seventeen years, we've seen ignorance (Evans' lack of a back-three; Houllier's persistence with his mediocrity) and also some legitimate excuses (Houllier's illness possibly the ultimate one). Rafa is not perfect. He has shown signs of ignorance at times which has hindered us, although it isn't the media-driven claims of rotation or zonal marking; it is more the inability to beat the other top three. He's also had legitimate excuses; boardroom squabbles, lack of funds, inability to get the players he wants for this football team. Next season though, it will stop. I've never been more confident of anything in my life.

The man knows what he's doing and as a result, this team knows what it's doing. We've got a brilliant Torres/Gerrard partnership, an excellent back five, a rejuvenated Kuyt and most importantly: the team and squad he has been striving for, for the past five years. George and Tom need to keep their noses out and we need to keep our noses in front of those horrible bastards across the motorway.

It's apt to finish with another George-ism. You've gotta have faith. Believe that come Christmas morning, that no.19 will be sitting under our stockings. And it will. We're gonna win the fucking league.

COME ON REDMEN!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 08:39:14 pm by L6 Red »

Offline rojored

• Main Stander
Re: This is the year...
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 10:03:07 pm »
I really think we will win it this year!!

Offline GinKop

• He's going to run to you (ooh-oooh). Knows a techtard when he sees one
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FORZA MILANO
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 10:09:52 pm »
I must admit, I wasn't convinced when I saw you quoting George Michael. But that is a cracking post, well in.

I do believe, I do have faith, but the realist in me says we're going to challenge before we just storm in from nowhere and win it.
JFT97

Offline Manila Kop

• TRYING HARD TO FIT IN OOTER
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Greatest Fighter in the World
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 10:14:10 pm »
Great post, L6 you bastard...I never expect Nintendos for Christmas myself but you're getting my hopes up.
The infallible wank stain
Lolzies. More chance of a wank off the pope than beating United, I'm afraid. It is beyond Benitez, apart from when they were at their lowest ebb, when we knocked them out of the FA Cup. They certainly aren't anywhere near there now.

Offline TheFatGuy

• Boys Pen
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 10:18:42 pm »
4th last season, and we havent bought any1 that really would make a big difference, unless we bring in a world class winger, i cant see it happening, while other teams have been doing big signings however stranger things have happened (istanbul). I guess aggers return will be good and Skrtel in the squad, but again wide players is a problem.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 10:23:39 pm by TheFatGuy »

Offline SMD

• Shit streamer. Can't be found by drive man.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 10:20:33 pm »
To be honest, I wasn't expecting anything from this season except improvement. But if we do get Keane and he plays as well as he has in the past year...well, let's just hope our defence returns to its former glory and Skrtel's hungry.
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 10:21:37 pm »
Well, Santa is plumb out of excuses.

This is his team that he's built. 5th year

There must be a challenge
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline guest

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 10:21:56 pm »
hm, say this every season. 4th last season, and we havent bought any1 that really would make a big difference, unless we bring in a world class winger, i cant see it happening, while other teams have been doing big signings however stranger things have happened (istanbul).

Did you even read what I wrote?

To be honest, I wasn't expecting anything from this season except improvement. But if we do get Keane and he plays as well as he has in the past year...well, let's just hope our defence returns to its former glory and Skrtel's hungry.

I'm confident we'll win it. It's almost inexplicable but I've tried my best to explain it. I've just got a massive hunch we'll do it.

Offline Midget

• R Kelly's love rival
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008, 10:22:52 pm »
Great post mate!  :thumbup

I hope this optimism catches on everyone here.

We will win the league!

Offline It's Jimmy Corkhill

• No more scrapping in Page Moss. Marxist.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hasta La Victoria Siempre....
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2008, 10:26:12 pm »
Sorry that you only experienced Souness the manager and never seen Souness the player mate.

Believe. We are Liverpool, end of.
"I'm a people man. Only the people matter".
-Bill Shankly.

Offline NickDS

• Anny Roader
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2008, 10:26:53 pm »
I reckon we'll do better than last season and may still be in with a chance with a few weeks to go, but cant see higher than 3rd im afraid

Offline guest

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2008, 10:30:30 pm »
We're not letting those bastards reach 18 without the scrap of our lives.

Offline TheFatGuy

• Boys Pen
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2008, 10:30:48 pm »
hm

Offline SMD

• Shit streamer. Can't be found by drive man.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2008, 11:01:17 pm »
I'm confident we'll win it. It's almost inexplicable but I've tried my best to explain it. I've just got a massive hunch we'll do it.

I want to wait for the close of the transfer window first. I really, really want Ronaldo to stay, though.
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Offline Baz76

• Kopite
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2008, 11:02:34 pm »
4th last season, and we havent bought any1 that really would make a big difference, unless we bring in a world class winger, i cant see it happening, while other teams have been doing big signings however stranger things have happened (istanbul). I guess aggers return will be good and Skrtel in the squad, but again wide players is a problem.

This "world class winger" stuff is starting to bore me!!!

Offline gamble

• andproctor
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2008, 11:06:24 pm »
this thread is a bit early for my liking but i do hope that some of our players realise that a sad 20 year anniversary is coming up and show they care in the league this year.

Offline ALANM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2008, 11:10:05 pm »
Having Agger back will make a difference. If we can stop doing our 'rabbits in headlights' impression when we face the Mans then it is definitely possible as last season showed we can compete with Arsenal and Chelsea.

Offline Kahuna{=}Berger

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Innovate, not imitate.
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2008, 11:22:00 pm »
Great read L6 Red. Bring on the 16th of August.

And bring on the 24th of May too for that matter. ;)

That'll be a nice birthday present for me. You've summed up a lot of the rationale behind my hopes for this season in that post.

Offline Moldyman

• Heart and soul, one will burn.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2008, 11:31:18 pm »
What a fucking cracker of a post mate.

Offline jefecito

• Main Stander
    • The Asian Kop
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2008, 11:44:34 pm »
Brilliant post!

Lets go get Number Nineteen--- Nur Nur Nur Nur Nur Nineteen!!!!!  :champ

Offline horne

• y
  • Legacy Fan
  • through a storm
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2008, 11:46:10 pm »
asked for a nintedo for christmas...thank fuck santa was dyslexic...he brought El Ninio...COME ONNN RED MEN!
success = the absence of the fear of failure

Offline litmanen37

• Legacy Fan
  • '77 '78 '81 '84 '05
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2008, 11:46:49 pm »
well in mate, cracking post

COME ON RED MEN!!!
Re: You have to take your hat off to Arsene Wenger...
The only way id take my hat off to him, is if i was odd job, then id throw it at the c*nt!

Offline The Bill Hicks Appreciation Society

• It's not much I know, but this is the best Barney could come up with at short notice. Too tight to buy his own cross-dressing gear. AKA 'Condomhead'. Has apparently had Elton John.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
    • Check out my RedmenTV Blogs
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2008, 11:46:52 pm »
asked for a nintedo for christmas...thank fuck santa was dyslexic...he brought El Ninio...COME ONNN RED MEN!

not just Santa :P
Please take a look at my latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling the Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All other blogs can be read at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your thoughts

Offline horne

• y
  • Legacy Fan
  • through a storm
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2008, 11:50:16 pm »
tunc...  smiles
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 11:53:33 pm by horne »
success = the absence of the fear of failure

Offline desikasanova

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2008, 11:50:42 pm »
Brilliant post!

Lets go get Number Nineteen--- Nur Nur Nur Nur Nur Nineteen!!!!!  :champ
Nuff Said.

Offline Kahuna{=}Berger

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Innovate, not imitate.
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2008, 11:51:26 pm »

Offline anon-y-mouse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2008, 11:59:20 pm »
Nice post mate, I'm still torn between hoping the Mancs don't get another title and hoping our c*nts of owners fuck off, at the moment I can't see a good way out of this. We win the league and everyones happy thus prolonging their welcome, getting some people back onside and even encouraging more knobheads to follow us. Maybe I should be happy in that situation but I just can't see it.

Offline Baraka

• bama. But a lot lot lot lot stupider. Has an IQ of 6½
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2008, 12:07:12 am »
lets do them manc c*nts in.
South Park>>>>>All.

Offline J_Kopite

• Is he or isn't she? Cougar toy.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2008, 12:15:59 am »
The thread title is right, this is the year.. no excuses.

Offline vicgill

• "do the simple things but do them well"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Football is the simplest game in the world son,
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2008, 12:21:56 am »
Really enjoyed that mate, I feel just the same, it is going to be our year.

Great post, thank you
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

Offline mikek1984

• Peel 'ed. Property of RAWK.
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAT RAT RAT RAT RAT RAT
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2008, 12:22:20 am »
We're not letting those bastards reach 18 without the scrap of our lives.

if only the players thought that way
I LIKEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Offline Kahuna{=}Berger

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Innovate, not imitate.
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2008, 12:26:26 am »
Nice post mate, I'm still torn between hoping the Mancs don't get another title and hoping our c*nts of owners fuck off, at the moment I can't see a good way out of this. We win the league and everyones happy thus prolonging their welcome, getting some people back onside and even encouraging more knobheads to follow us. Maybe I should be happy in that situation but I just can't see it.

Not the first time all that's crossed me mind mate. How fucked up are things, when that thought pops into your head when ya contemplate lifting 19? Shouldn't be that way, but these are strange times.

Still, there has to be a balance made between enjoying success on the pitch, and figuring out how to get rid of the problems (and knobs) we have off the pitch. Where that balance is though, I don't know.

I guess I'll only know if we lift #19 next may. :-\

Offline LiverBirdKop

• A moron. Twice. No flies on their nullshit
  • Legacy Fan
  • 51,077 Deleted
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2008, 12:31:00 am »
This is the Year Version 15 (for me).

I'll feel more confident once I get my hands on one of those grey jerseys. ;)

Offline Мерфи

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2008, 12:37:05 am »
Even without any more additions, I think if our shite for brains owners can manage to shut the feck up for a season, and we remain significantly healthy, there is no reason why we can't continue our challenge through to the last days of the season.
Never argue with a fool . . . people may not know the difference .

Offline Bjornar

• Kopite
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2008, 12:39:31 am »
Fantastic opening post, but some parts I find it hard to agree wholeheartedly with. Does Rafa know exactly how he wants us to play, or is he preparing for yet another season experimenting with different formations and changing players' positions frequently? Has he identified exactly what players he needs, or is he making the best out of difficult financial circumstances?

Rafa is a great manager, but isn't there a case to made that his main weakness so far in his Anfield career has seemed to be a tendency to sometimes over-complicate things that shouldn't really have to be that complicated (like picking Voronin over Torres for tactical reasons)? And isn't there a danger that's what's happening this pre-season? Having read all the arguments in this and other threads for buying Keane and Barry, I still find it strange to target a central midfielder and a striker as our main signings this summer - wouldn't the logical approach after they way last season finished have been something like this?:

- We tried to make the most of our squad through quite heavy rotation last season, the results didn't turn out the way we wanted, so perhaps the squad wasn't strong enough to support that
- We don't have much money to strenghten that squad that much before next season
- We finally found some stability when we played 4-2-3-1, and seemed to get the best out of our squad and to solve some problems with that formation (found a place for Alonso, found a position where Gerrard thrived and established a great partnership in Gerrard-Torres, seemed to get the best out of Kuyt and Babel).
- Playing that formation, we had a central spine of players as good as anything in the world, but we lacked the quality and depth the others in the top 4 had in wide areas (fullbacks and wide midfielders).
- Based on this: let's leave the central spine (including central midfield) and the formation that actually worked last season alone, and use what money we have (mainly) to strengthen the wide areas. In short, let's build on what worked last time around, and use our limited funds to improve the 'problem areas'.

Instead, we seem about to spend 40 millions on central players, only 8 million on wide players, and nobody really seem to be sure what formation we will mainly be playing next season. Of course signing Keane and/or Barry could turn out to be strokes of genius, but if it doesn't work out, surely questions will be asked about this. "Wingers" or not, somebody has to play on each side of midfield, and what we have (the useful but limited Kuyt and the inconsistent Babel), doesn't really seem that convincing compared to what others have.   

« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 12:45:40 am by Bjornar »

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2008, 01:44:37 am »
Lemme dig out a similar thread last year... and the one before...
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

hoonin

« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2008, 02:08:25 am »
A very enjoyable read that, even if I'm not quite so overtly optimistic.

Every season I think we're in with a chance and nothing has changed this year, but I'd still put the Mancs and Chelsea slightly ahead of us in terms of the right mentality/belief and also player quality in attack when it comes to Utd (though like you I'd be made up if we sign Keane, who I've long been an admirer of).

We had a couple of good attacking acquisitions last summer in Babel and Torres, but we didnt make any ground on Utd when they bought Anderson and Nani. Both settled really quickly and will only improve this season.

I'd like to see Barry in our midfield but I don't know if he'll provide a measure of improvement that we need? You can see why he's now on the managers radar as with every passing season Alonso looks less comfortable with the pace of the PL, but is that the position that is holding us back or do we need more players at the sharp end?

(cracking song by the way, from a really good acoustic album)

Online JHova2427

• Enjoys a nice bit of halibut and is prepared to get stoned for it. 2427 times.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2008, 02:09:50 am »
Lemme dig out a similar thread last year... and the one before...

Don't even try to say that when you look at this team top to bottom you don't feel much more comfortable if we get in the players we are looking at.

Offline Jambo Power

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2008, 02:24:49 am »
How old were you when you first played Duckhunt?  :o

Offline USC19Babel

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2008, 02:25:03 am »
I'm approaching the season with cautious optimism, I think we've got what it takes and we've got the manager to get us there, but I just am not yet sure we can go all the way.

I certainly am excited though.

Great post.