Author Topic: North Korea  (Read 12903 times)

Offline cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
North Korea
« on: January 6, 2016, 11:10:37 am »
North Korea claims successful hydrogen bomb test in 'self-defence against US'

UN security council will meet to discuss possible sanctions as North Korea television says the test puts the country in the ‘rank of advanced nuclear states’

North Korea has conducted its fourth nuclear test, the country’s state media has announced, in a move that could take it a step closer to developing nuclear warheads capable of striking the US mainland.

Some experts, though, said initial evidence was pointing towards a test involving a uranium or plutonium device and not, as Pyongyang has claimed, a far more powerful hydrogen bomb.

An announcement on North Korean television said the country had successfully tested a “miniaturised hydrogen bomb” underground on Wednesday morning, describing it as an “act of self-defence” against the US. North Korean claims about the size and type of bomb have not been independently verified.

If the claims are true, it would be the first time the North has successfully tested a hydrogen bomb and could also enable the secretive state to launch long-range nuclear missiles.

“If it’s true, it means they’ve made something smaller scale, capable of being put onto a missile, said John Carlson, the former head of the Australian Safeguards and Non-Proliferation Office. “I think we can assume the previous tests they’ve carried out have been devices too large to fit onto a missile.”

South Korea’s spy agency believes the seismic wave reported was more likely caused by an atomic bomb, Lee Cheol Woo, a South Korean politician, said.

Yang Uk, a senior research fellow at the Korea Defence and Security Forum, said: “Given the scale it is hard to believe this is a real hydrogen bomb. They could have tested some middle stage kind (of device) between an A-bomb and H-bomb, but unless they come up with any clear evidence, it is difficult to trust their claim.”

The North Korean state television broadcast said the test was a “complete success” which propelled the country into the “rank of advanced nuclear states”. It had been overseen by the country’s leader, Kim Jong-un and conducted ahead of his 33rd birthday this Friday.

“[North Korea’s] fate must not be protected by any forces, only by [North Korea] itself,” the broadcast said. North Korea would not abandon its nuclear weapons program as long as the US maintained what it called “its stance of aggression”.

“The US has gathered forces hostile to DPRK [Democratic People’s Republic of Korea] and raised a slanderous human rights issue to hinder DPRK’s improvement,” it said.

“It is just to have H-bomb as self-defence against the US having numerous and humongous nuclear weapons. The DPRK’s fate must not be protected by any forces but DPRK itself.”

The United Nations security council was planning to meet on Wednesday morning in New York to discuss North Korea’s nuclear test, council diplomats said.

The White House said it could not confirm North Korea’s claims, but added the United States would respond appropriately to provocations and defend its allies. The EU said the test was a “grave violation” of UN resolutions.

Phillip Hammond, the British foreign secretary, said on a visit to Beijing: “I think I can say that Britain and China are pretty much completely aligned on North Korean nuclear. We both strongly oppose the acquisition or testing of nuclear weapons by North Korea and we both want to see a resumption of the six party talks.

“So far as I think any of us can tell, there is no reason to doubt what the North Koreans are claiming – that they have carried out a test detonation of an H bomb. It is clearly very bad news for the non-proliferation agenda generally and for security in the region specifically.”

South Korean president Park Geun-hye said the country would take decisive measures against any additional provocations by North Korea and work with the international community to make sure the country pays the price for its latest nuclear test.

Park said the latest test could change the fundamental nature of the situation over North Korea’s nuclear programme.

Prime minister Shinzo Abe said Japan would make a firm response to North Korea’s challenge against nuclear non-proliferation, calling its test a threat to Japan’s security.

The test is bound to ratchet up tensions between the isolated country and its neighbours as well as Washington. China’s foreign ministry said that Beijing did not have advance knowledge of the test and added that it firmly opposes Pyongyang’s action.

North Korea conducted nuclear tests in 2006, 2009 and 2013, drawing condemnation and rounds of UN sanctions banning trade and financing activities that aid its weapons program.

A successful fourth test could deepen North Korea’s international isolation if the UN security council decided to respond with more sanctions. Pyongyang is thought to have developed several crude nuclear weapons.

Since becoming North Korean leader in late 2011, Kim Jong-un has stepped up condemnation of joint US-South Korean military drills he believes are preparation for an invasion.

In early 2013, Kim responded to UN sanctions imposed after North Korea’s third nuclear test by unleashing a barrage of threats aimed at South Korea, the US and Japan.

Kim appears to have caught the world off-guard yet again. He did not mention his country’s pursuit of a nuclear deterrent in his New Year’s address, an omission some analysts say was designed to improve the prospects of a summit with the Chinese leader, Xi Jinping.

Last month Washington dismissed Kim’s claims that his country had developed a hydrogen bomb – a development that, if true, would mark significant progress in North Korea’s nuclear capability. Hydrogen bombs are capable of producing a far more powerful blast than basic atom bombs.

John Carlson said the veracity of North Korea’s claim would be difficult to determine “until we can analyse any gases emitted, and it could take several days for those to show up, if it all”.

He said it would be a “major challenge” for the North Korean regime to develop a thermonuclear weapon, particularly a miniaturised version, which required even greater expertise.

“Their claim would be far more convincing if it was a larger size,” he said.

Carlson, who headed Australia’s safeguards office for more than two decades, said it was possible Pyongyang had actually produced a lower-yield “boosted explosion”, in which the hydrogen isotope tritium undergoes partial fusion, allowing them to describe the device as a hydrogen bomb.

“I think it’s feasible that they’ve done that and they’re claiming that they’ve done more,” he said.

Speculation that the regime in Pyongyang had conducted a surprise nuclear test on Wednesday rose after seismologists from South Korea, China and other countries said they had detected a “manmade” earthquake in the country that could have been caused by an explosion.

South Korean meteorological officials said the epicentre of the quake was 49km (30 miles) from the Punggye-ri site in North Hamgyong province, where North Korea has conducted nuclear tests in the past.

Yonhap news agency in South Korea said North Korea had not given notice of the test, which was carried out at 10am local time (1am GMT), to the US or its traditional ally China.

Wednesday’s tremor was a “suspected explosion”, the China earthquake network centre said on its website. It gave the magnitude as 4.9.

The US Geological Service said it had detected a 5.1 magnitude quake, and the European Mediterranean seismological centre said it had also detected unusual seismic activity in North Korea.

“We suspect a manmade earthquake and are analysing the scale and epicentre of the quake with the geoscience and mineral resource institute of South Korea,” a Korea meteorological administration official said in the South Korean capital, Seoul.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jan/06/north-korean-nuclear-test-suspected-as-artificial-earthquake-detected

The other North Korea thread from 2014 was locked so not really sure where to post this?

The rulers are completely and utterly mad- but how do the international community realistically respond? Sanctions aren't going to work against a regime who seem quite happy/ don't care for the populace to be starving, have a completely isolationist approach and are pretty much sealed off to the outside world. They have even developed their own computer operating system to control the populace:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/dec/27/north-koreas-computer-operating-system-revealed-by-researchers

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: North Korea
« Reply #1 on: January 6, 2016, 12:15:21 pm »
Unfortunately there IS no response. 

NK is crazy enough to use a nuke, so removing their government via a conventional war is simply not an option.  They're also fucking crazy enough to use such a weapon precipitously if they think their national integrity or borders are being violated in the slightest manner.

Our best bet is China.  Their communist/capitalism model comes under threat if they have a belligerent, unhinged, nuclear armed state sharing their border.  We can only hope that at some point the Chinese decide to off the NK leadership and replace it with a more docile puppet regime.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: January 6, 2016, 12:44:16 pm »
They're literally an unhinged lot. That's what paranoid control of information does to the collective mentality of a country.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2016, 01:37:12 pm »

Popcorn's Art

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2016, 01:38:50 pm »
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Packalacky

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2016, 03:10:44 pm »
How long until China get pissed off enough with nukes being detonated a hundred miles from their border that they take Jong-Un out...

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2016, 03:11:48 pm »
How long until China get pissed off enough with nukes being detonated a hundred miles from their border that they take Jong-Un out...
He's been doing it for a couple of years now...

He's no threat to them, I suspect they don't give a stuff....
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: February 7, 2016, 12:08:25 pm »
NK has apparently managed to put something into orbit this time.  This is gonna get nasty.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/feb/07/north-korea-launches-long-range-rocket-it-claims-is-carrying-a-satellite

Popcorn's Art

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #8 on: February 8, 2016, 04:52:14 pm »
Oh the irony from this Tory.

Cllr Matthew Sephton
‏@MatthewSephton

#NorthKorea demonstrating it's intent on prioritising development of nuclear/ballistic missile progs over improving well-being of own people
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline goalspaytherent

• Just thought of a CT.....then saw the post history.....not gonna bother.......
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm your huckleberry
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2016, 11:55:45 am »
Should NK ever decide to fire a missile in the direction of the US, I am pretty sure the US would wipe the place off the face of the earth in no time , Chinese support or not .

Online Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2016, 12:07:37 pm »
Should NK ever decide to fire a missile in the direction of the US, I am pretty sure the US would wipe the place off the face of the earth in no time , Chinese support or not .

Well if there is a country that we already know are not afraid to use nuclear in warfare its the Americans.
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline goalspaytherent

• Just thought of a CT.....then saw the post history.....not gonna bother.......
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm your huckleberry
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2016, 09:36:54 pm »
Well if there is a country that we already know are not afraid to use nuclear in warfare its the Americans.

Especially when it's on another continent

Online Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2016, 06:58:52 am »
Especially when it's on another continent

Like Asia.   :-X
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2016, 04:12:41 pm »
Seeing reports that NK have lost contact with one of their submarines, presumed sunk. 

When a paranoid nation loses a war machine amidst all this sabre rattling, things can get sticky...

Popcorn's Art

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2016, 11:59:02 am »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-35818581

US student Otto Warmbier has been given 15 years hard labour in North Korea for crimes against the state.

Warmbier, 21, was arrested for trying to steal a propaganda sign from a hotel while visiting North Korea in January.

He later appeared on state TV apparently confessing and saying a church group had asked him to bring back a "trophy" from his trip.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2016, 03:25:57 pm »
I'd almost believe that a 21 year old American student might be dumb enough to try and steal a sign in North Korea, but the reason he gives is ridiculous.

Popcorn's Art

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2016, 01:12:52 am »
reports say NK usually release these types of prisoners after a few months or a year, doubt he feels so confident they will though. Church group asked him to bring back a poster, more like dared by his m8s back home. why go to NK for a holiday anyway. immature idiot who doesn't know how the world works. I wouldn't cross the street till I saw a traffic light if I had to go out their. never mind pinch a picture nobody would dare touch.
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2016, 01:41:34 am »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-35818581

US student Otto Warmbier has been given 15 years hard labour in North Korea for crimes against the state.

Warmbier, 21, was arrested for trying to steal a propaganda sign from a hotel while visiting North Korea in January.

He later appeared on state TV apparently confessing and saying a church group had asked him to bring back a "trophy" from his trip.
Anyone else reckon this lad is putting it all on? Hands down the worst acting I've ever seen, I hope I'm right because I good some laugh out of his groveling

Here's my theory, he's in cahoots with the regime who are using him as a way of making North Korea look powerful in front of the international community and their own by jamming an imperial pigdog up for a 15 stretch

Offline beardsley4ever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2016, 03:18:06 am »
It's like NK are following Saddam Hussein's playbook for "how to bring unnecessary international pressure and (heaven forbid) military action against your people".  It's the same story playing out, with the same inevitable overreaction by the West.  Male egos playing games with innocent peoples' lives.  Oh joy.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2016, 06:54:03 am »
Anyone else reckon this lad is putting it all on? Hands down the worst acting I've ever seen, I hope I'm right because I good some laugh out of his groveling

Here's my theory, he's in cahoots with the regime who are using him as a way of making North Korea look powerful in front of the international community and their own by jamming an imperial pigdog up for a 15 stretch

I doubt he's putting it on. More likely he's being beaten and threatened in some shit hole prison. I'm not sure how people who have never experienced being in the situation he's in are able to make judgements about how someone would behave.

I remember when the videos of Daniel Pearl's execution first surfaced, the internet was awash with people saying it was obviously staged, that beheadings don't look like that, that this was wrong etc...

He's a naive young man who probably had no concept of the regime he was dealing with.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2016, 09:10:36 am »
reports say NK usually release these types of prisoners after a few months or a year, doubt he feels so confident they will though. Church group asked him to bring back a poster, more like dared by his m8s back home. why go to NK for a holiday anyway. immature idiot who doesn't know how the world works. I wouldn't cross the street till I saw a traffic light if I had to go out their. never mind pinch a picture nobody would dare touch.

He's a naive young man who probably had no concept of the regime he was dealing with.

Does seem to be a case of pride going before a fall; "Oh that wont happen to me".

Popcorn's Art

Online Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2016, 09:08:21 am »
Why was he there anyway?

Offline stevensr123

• bedwetter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2016, 10:11:41 am »
Why was he there anyway?
because he is an idiot, like anyone else who takes such a massive risk going to a country like North Korea for a leisurely holiday. Seems a bit hipster these days.

Feel for the guy like, he made 2 massive mistakes and its cost him big time.

1. Being dumb enough to go to North Korea.
2. Committing a crime in North Korea.
PUSSY cat, PUSSY cat, I love you,  yes I do.......

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2016, 12:01:50 pm »
Watch this and tell these are not crocodile tears. It's ridiculous

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/w1uyzOe4Smk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/w1uyzOe4Smk</a>

What I reckon is he has been told to ramp it up by the authorities to bring discredit to the US. They've said to him if you make an absoulte disgrace of yourself and by extension your nation we'll let you out after a few weeks.   

Watch even the way the guards carry him, it's totally unnatural looking.

Online Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2016, 12:39:05 pm »
Watch this and tell these are not crocodile tears. It's ridiculous

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/w1uyzOe4Smk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/w1uyzOe4Smk</a>

What I reckon is he has been told to ramp it up by the authorities to bring discredit to the US. They've said to him if you make an absoulte disgrace of yourself and by extension your nation we'll let you out after a few weeks.   

Watch even the way the guards carry him, it's totally unnatural looking.

Yeah it does look like hes gone to the Keanu Reeves school of acting. 

So he stole a sign saying staff only at a Hotel? How is that a Propaganda sign? Why does he also blame the US administration for alluring him? How, Why?

Its hard to have sympathy with someone who to a country that hates you and then steals something for what appeared to be High Jinx. Having said that, 15 years hard labour, Yikes.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2016, 01:14:32 pm »

Its hard to have sympathy with someone who to a country that hates you and then steals something for what appeared to be High Jinx. Having said that, 15 years hard labour, Yikes.

But that's North Korea for you.  And that is why it's hard to have sympathy for him.  I'm not saying he's got it coming to him or deserves 15 years hard labour, but wtf was he expecting to happen?  Good bloody job he didn't try nicking a towel!

It's not like somebody making some random mistake and running afoul of draconian laws.  He's deliberately done something that reflects either crass stupidity, ignorance or arrogance.  Take your pick. 

One thing's for sure: this will be such a shock to his system when he gets home he wont even jaywalk.

Popcorn's Art

Online Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2016, 01:26:30 pm »
But that's North Korea for you.  And that is why it's hard to have sympathy for him.  I'm not saying he's got it coming to him or deserves 15 years hard labour, but wtf was he expecting to happen?  Good bloody job he didn't try nicking a towel!

It's not like somebody making some random mistake and running afoul of draconian laws.  He's deliberately done something that reflects either crass stupidity, ignorance or arrogance.  Take your pick. 

One thing's for sure: this will be such a shock to his system when he gets home he wont even jaywalk.

His only defense is he has done something that would not be registered as a crime in almost any country, so you could argue ignorance.  Its not like going to Saudi and drinking and covorting, anyone with any sense knows the rules there. If someone asked what is the punishment for knicking a sign in a hotel in North Korea, not many would come up 15 years hard labour.  However, going there in the first place can easily be called Stupid and Arrogant. 

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2016, 03:54:01 pm »

His only defense is he has done something that would not be registered as a crime in almost any country, so you could argue ignorance.  Its not like going to Saudi and drinking and covorting, anyone with any sense knows the rules there. If someone asked what is the punishment for knicking a sign in a hotel in North Korea, not many would come up 15 years hard labour.  However, going there in the first place can easily be called Stupid and Arrogant.

Well speaking for myself, if I was ever in NK I'd be wary of looking out my hotel window in a manner that might be considered subversive.  Sentence aside, if you think a NK official is just going to wave off you trying to nick a sign then it's breathtaking ignorance of what the country is all about imo.

It's not like you have to do a lot of research on the subject.  It's like the dumb kid went to the Moores and Parry school of googling.

Popcorn's Art

Online Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2016, 05:36:39 pm »
Well speaking for myself, if I was ever in NK I'd be wary of looking out my hotel window in a manner that might be considered subversive.  Sentence aside, if you think a NK official is just going to wave off you trying to nick a sign then it's breathtaking ignorance of what the country is all about imo.

It's not like you have to do a lot of research on the subject.  It's like the dumb kid went to the Moores and Parry school of googling.

Dunno if I should laugh or cry at that bit.

Speaking for myself, I just wouldn't go there.

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2016, 06:06:28 pm »
I doubt if hes acting or putting his remorse on. he is about to be sentenced to 15yrs hard Labour. he must be feeling sick to his stomach right now. he obviously feels he hasn't really committed a crime so his remorse is doing something so stupid with such tragic consequences due to his own stupidity, fact is he is stuck in a nightmare environment and nobody can help him. only way out is for NK to show him mercy so he will be genuinely sorry for doing what he did. People he knows will console him with facts like NK usually let you go after a few months so don't worry. doubt if he feels so confident it will happen though.
We all know what will happen, he will praise NK for showing mercy when he's released but tear them to pieces as soon as he steps foot on USA soil. one things for sure hes grown up the last few weeks.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 06:09:43 pm by oldfordie »
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2016, 07:06:17 pm »
I seem to remember an article regarding access to NK and you really have to jump through hoops to be considered by them for entry.  It's gobsmacking this kid doesn't seem to have been more aware of the potential consequences for his actions, but as fordie says he'll be growing up fast now.

Popcorn's Art

Online Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2016, 07:10:41 pm »
I seem to remember an article regarding access to NK and you really have to jump through hoops to be considered by them for entry.  It's gobsmacking this kid doesn't seem to have been more aware of the potential consequences for his actions, but as fordie says he'll be growing up fast now.

Has there been any statements from him or his friends n family about why he went there?

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2016, 07:17:08 pm »
I've not heard anything.  It might be in some of the earlier reports. 

Popcorn's Art

Offline stevensr123

• bedwetter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2016, 12:50:58 am »

you don't think theft isn't a crime in most countries?

Didn't some one get time for nicking a bottle of water during the riots in the uk?

Theft is a crime, but obviously the sentence isn't appropriate. He is a complete idiot for taking the risk.
PUSSY cat, PUSSY cat, I love you,  yes I do.......

Online Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2016, 06:15:45 am »
you don't think theft isn't a crime in most countries?

Didn't some one get time for nicking a bottle of water during the riots in the uk?

Theft is a crime, but obviously the sentence isn't appropriate. He is a complete idiot for taking the risk.

I have no idea on the water during the riots to be honest. I imagine the water theft was progressed as the person who caught the theif were police, plus its stealing the business stock. A bottle of water has monetary value.
I would be surprised if there are any instances of a hotel calling the police if a sign or even a towel were stolen. 
Maybe I'm wrong, but I would be surprised.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2016, 09:41:43 am »
The bottle of water case, in the context of the riots, was to make an example of somebody.  As is this incident in NK.  The only difference is that, in NK, they will make an example of anybody breaking any law.  And that will go double for a foreign tourist - especially an American tourist.

Remember when the previous leader died and you saw all the people wailing on camera?  They looked absolutely fucking terrified - as if they could be carted off to a labour camp for 20 years if they didn't appear to be grieving enough.  Hell, didn't Kim have one of his generals executed for clapping too lazily (or not enthusiastically enough) at one of his speeches?

If I were crazy enough to go to NK I'd likely spend my days gushing over what a wonderful country it was, how clean the streets were and how happy and well fed all the people looked.  If anybody there asked me what I thought about the sanctions I'd say they were unnecessarily harsh against a nation who just wishes for peaceful co-existence with the global community.  I would most definitely NOT nick a hotel sign just for jollies!

The sentence is insane but for NK it's standard procedure.  Whether we agree with it or not the bottom line is the stupid kid brought this on himself.  If he thought the worst that would happen would be a slap on the wrist and a laugh from a guard followed by a "put it back lad", then it's either gross ignorance or utter arrogance.

Popcorn's Art

Offline ollyfrom.tv

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2016, 11:46:22 am »

Hell, didn't Kim have one of his generals executed for clapping too lazily (or not enthusiastically enough) at one of his speeches?

Pretty sure it was a relative of his as well. Just to make sure he died, they executed him with a 50mm anti aircraft gun.

Offline XabiAlonsosBeard

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: September 9, 2016, 03:24:31 am »
Further non-earthquake seismic activity reported in North Korea.

Suspected to be another nuclear test. The most powerful one yet recorded. Breaking everywhere, so no links posted.
Justice for the 96.

Loves a missed penalty!

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: September 9, 2016, 06:28:13 am »
It is really the craziest country in the world. They've read 1984 and decided it is a manual by which to govern a nation, and this is the result. A delusional hamburger with a quiff and a mental age of 3 playing with things that include nuclear weapons and anti-aircraft guns.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Jonny-B

• Kopite
« Reply #39 on: September 9, 2016, 11:37:36 am »
It becomes a game changer the moment they are able to mount a nuclear warhead to a long range missile.