Author Topic: The barbarity that is Syria  (Read 381299 times)

Offline nayia2002

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • http://www.victoriacreperie.co.uk/
Re: The barbarity that is Syria
« Reply #3640 on: April 14, 2017, 09:50:47 am »
Like with Iraq and wmd now it's Syria and chemical attacks  ::)  :butt  ::)
who are you to judge the life i live?
i know im not perfect-and i dont live to be,
but before you start pointing fingers make
sure your hands are clean!.

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3641 on: April 14, 2017, 10:13:19 am »
Still waiting for the us administration to actually explain what those strikes achieved?

A PR exercise is what it was.

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Deliverer of the -Q- de grace.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thought I was wrong once - but I was mistaken.
« Reply #3642 on: April 14, 2017, 06:03:27 pm »
After the 2013 attack in Ghouta which killed over a thousand people. Medical personnel working in the area made it protocol to wear gas masks and have antropine supplies, that is a nerve gas antidote, they also became well versed in what to do in case of a chemical attack, the civilians too stocked up. Reports are that when the first responders started dropping to the ground this time, they relayed on radios that it's a gas attack and basically the training kicked in, for medical personnel and people, these are the realities on the ground, you do what you can to survive.
Alternatively, you can sit at home in a western democracy, safe from ever being gassed to death, dreaming up conspiracy theories.
Not you in particular, just some ridiculous contributions in this thread.

You can't leave as sweeping a statement as that. In what sense were they ridiculous and which contributions are you referencing?
There is nothing wrong with striving to win, so long as you don't set the prize above the game. There can be no dishonour in defeat nor any conceit in victory. What matters above all is that the team plays in the right spirit, with skill, courage, fair play,no favour and the result accepted without bitterness. Sir Matt Busby CBE KCSG 1909-1994

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3643 on: April 15, 2017, 08:32:54 pm »
You can't leave as sweeping a statement as that. In what sense were they ridiculous and which contributions are you referencing?

Theres someone (Assad) gassing his own people with chemical weapons , and theres someone (me) making sweeping statements about it, and you take more issue with the statements than the massacre......

Offline bahrainexpat

• Knows it's cocktail hour. Just not sure which day it is.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • Stranger in a strange land.
« Reply #3644 on: April 15, 2017, 08:55:13 pm »
I have just seen the footage of the suicide bomber attack on the refugee buses at Rashidin. I fucking despair for humanity. There are no good guys in this war, just varying degrees of evil.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3645 on: April 15, 2017, 11:00:06 pm »
I have just seen the footage of the suicide bomber attack on the refugee buses at Rashidin. I fucking despair for humanity. There are no good guys in this war, just varying degrees of evil.

Without meaning to state the ridiculously obvious, what were you expecting when you watched footage of a suicide bombing? Something life affirming and optimistic?

Like with Iraq and wmd now it's Syria and chemical attacks  ::)  :butt  ::)

Can you expand on this comment please?

It's not clear if you're suggesting the Syrican chemical attacks are made up - and pretending theres an equivalence between Iraq WMD inspections and these attacks - and I wouldn't want to assume the worst of you or your view

Still waiting for the us administration to actually explain what those strikes achieved?

A PR exercise is what it was.

Presuming you're referring to the bombing of ISIS. Do you want the US to send in troops on the ground in Syria to investigate and report back the consequences, is that what you mean?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 11:03:35 pm by Classycara »

Offline nayia2002

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3646 on: April 16, 2017, 09:20:29 am »

Can you expand on this comment please?

It's not clear if you're suggesting the Syrican chemical attacks are made up - and pretending theres an equivalence between Iraq WMD inspections and these attacks - and I wouldn't want to assume the worst of you or your view

It will be(the chem attack) traced back to the (US backed Syria  rebels) white house /pentagon in years to come, I'm 100% sure of it. What I'm trying to say is like Iraq this is just pure propaganda! Hasn't history especially the last decade taught you that the cause of these wars in middle east are instigated by US /the West foreign policy. War =$$$ invade Middle East steal natural resources (oil/gas) = control world financial markets)=$$$

If you haven't figured that out yet I think it's best you study the situation(middle east)  again with an open mind!

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3647 on: April 16, 2017, 11:33:13 am »
Oh OK, so you're a conspiracy theorist. I have an open mind, it seems like it's you that doesn't. Iraq doesn't equal Syria. I think you're learning the wrong lessons from history, personally.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3648 on: April 16, 2017, 07:06:37 pm »
Classy & Nayia, I think you're both at extreme ends of the spectrum.

Classy - it's a good thing to have a healthy skepticism of our Western governments. There have been too many times in recent history where our governments have done really bad things in the Middle East (and across the globe), quite often lying about it before the truth comes out. Regime change (Mossadiq), WMDS, etc. And don't forget these are horrible bastards like Trump and the Tories in charge at the moment, they don't give a damn about screwing over their own people, they don't suddenly turn into benevolent Gandhi types when it comes to getting their way in the Middle East. It doesn't make someone a conspiracy theorist for acknowledging as much.

Nayia - same applies to Middle Eastern leaders - just because the Middle East has been on the receiving end of a lot shit from the West in the past, doesn't mean their leaders are always the victims and its the West that are always the bad guys. Assad's done some nasty shit in his time - this isn't beyond him.

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3649 on: April 16, 2017, 07:19:22 pm »
Classy & Nayia, I think you're both at extreme ends of the spectrum.

Classy - it's a good thing to have a healthy skepticism of our Western governments. There have been too many times in recent history where our governments have done really bad things in the Middle East (and across the globe), quite often lying about it before the truth comes out. Regime change (Mossadiq), WMDS, etc. And don't forget these are horrible bastards like Trump and the Tories in charge at the moment, they don't give a damn about screwing over their own people, they don't suddenly turn into benevolent Gandhi types when it comes to getting their way in the Middle East. It doesn't make someone a conspiracy theorist for acknowledging as much.

Nayia - same applies to Middle Eastern leaders - just because the Middle East has been on the receiving end of a lot shit from the West in the past, doesn't mean their leaders are always the victims and its the West that are always the bad guys. Assad's done some nasty shit in his time - this isn't beyond him.

I agree with your overall points, but would want to be clear that my position isn't as you've stated it and is not to overly trust the west and always doubt everyone else. I just prefer to follow the evidence base, rather than following any preconceptions and fitting the narrative around those.

Offline nayia2002

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3650 on: April 16, 2017, 08:37:35 pm »
Oh OK, so you're a conspiracy theorist. I have an open mind, it seems like it's you that doesn't. Iraq doesn't equal Syria. I think you're learning the wrong lessons from history, personally.

Lol it's that your best answer??!!

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #3651 on: April 17, 2017, 08:42:24 am »
Lol it's that your best answer??!!
It's a far better answer than simplistic conspiracy thinking that doesn't even recognise what happened over WMDs in Iraq. 

If you are right there's a massive plot hole in your scenario. If WMDs in Iraq were fabricated for propaganda rather than a misrepresentation if dodgy intelligence then wouldn't it have been straightforward to plant and find WMDs?

The world is a complicated place. If you think it can all be wrapped up and tied off with a bow that says: 'America did everything' you're really naive.

There are many 'actors' in this and they don't wear black hats or white hats.

The only way to understand things us to avoid lazy preconceptions and look to the evidence.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline nayia2002

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3652 on: April 17, 2017, 09:06:48 am »
It's a far better answer than simplistic conspiracy thinking that doesn't even recognise what happened over WMDs in Iraq. 

If you are right there's a massive plot hole in your scenario. If WMDs in Iraq were fabricated for propaganda rather than a misrepresentation if dodgy intelligence then wouldn't it have been straightforward to plant and find WMDs?

The world is a complicated place. If you think it can all be wrapped up and tied off with a bow that says: 'America did everything' you're really naive.

There are many 'actors' in this and they don't wear black hats or white hats.

The only way to understand things us to avoid lazy preconceptions and look to the evidence.

America 'might have not done everything'  but they are the main cause of the destruction of Middle East.

Their weren't any wmds in Iraq and that is not simplistic conspiracy thinking

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #3653 on: April 17, 2017, 09:14:52 am »
There are in Syria, even if a load were removed. And they weren't supplied by the Americans. Nor did a jihadi group build a DIY lab for a nerve gas where even the waste product is hydrofluoric acid.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline zero zero

• Karma's a bitch. Innit.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3654 on: April 17, 2017, 09:18:31 am »
America 'might have not done everything'  but they are the main cause of the destruction of Middle East.

Are the US the "main cause of destruction" in Syria?

Syria isn't Iraq, though it appears that when some people choose to learn lessons from history they don't want to see the similarity; Ba'ath Party dictator with a track record of gassing his own people.

Offline armchair-fan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3655 on: April 17, 2017, 09:51:36 am »

Tell that to the Kurds and the Iranians.

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
Raqqa battle: 'Staggering' civilian toll in strikes on IS
« Reply #3656 on: June 14, 2017, 03:47:35 pm »
At last someone has brought this up.  There seems to be totally free reign to hit ISIS held areas with no real concerns about civilian life.

Arab twitter has been highlighting it for a while but I have seen very little in the West.  Glad to see the UN are recognising civilians are suffering hugely from airstrikes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-40271450

UN war crimes investigators say US-led coalition air strikes on Islamic State militants in the Syrian city of Raqqa are causing "staggering loss of life".

Hundreds of civilians are reported to have been killed since March, as coalition warplanes support an offensive by a Kurdish-led alliance.

In the past week, Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) fighters have pushed into the west, east and north of Raqqa.

The battle for the city has also led to 160,000 civilians fleeing their homes

The coalition has said the capture of Raqqa will deliver a "decisive blow" to the caliphate proclaimed by IS in June 2014, months after it took control or the city.

Up to 4,000 militants are believed to be holed up inside Raqqa, including foreign fighters and various senior figures.

It is unclear how many civilians are trapped there with them, but UN officials estimated that there are between 50,000 and 100,000.

In an address to the UN Human Rights Council on Wednesday, the chairman of the independent commission of inquiry for Syria noted that IS had been losing territory at a rapid pace in the north and centre of the country over the past few months.

If successful, Paolo Pinheiro said, the SDF offensive on Raqqa "could liberate the city's civilian population from the group's oppressive clutches, including Yazidi women and girls, whom the group has kept sexually enslaved for almost three years as part of an ongoing and unaddressed genocide".

But he added that the offensive must not be "undertaken at the expense of civilians who unwillingly find themselves living in areas where [IS] is present".

"We note in particular that the intensification of air strikes, which have paved the ground for an SDF advance in Raqqa, has resulted not only in staggering loss of civilian life, but has also led to 160,000 civilians fleeing their homes and becoming internally displaced."

The UK-based monitoring group Airwars estimates that more than 600 civilians were killed in more than 150 coalition or SDF attacks between March and May.

Air and artillery strikes killed dozens more in the first eight days of June, it says.

The UN Office for the Co-ordination of Humanitarian Affairs warned on Thursday that the assault was intensifying an "already desperate" situation in Raqqa.

Air strikes, shelling and clashes on the ground were killing and injuring civilians, and damaging key infrastructure, it said. There were also reports of increased shortages of essential commodities such as food, medicine and fuel, it added.

Mr Pinheiro also expressed deep concern that the creation of "de-escalation" zones in western Syria - agreed earlier this year as part of a plan sponsored by Russia, Turkey and Iran - had not led to improved access for aid agencies.

So far this year, he said, only one UN convoy had been permitted access to an area identified as urgently in need of assistance.

The UN investigators were also alarmed at the increasing number of "evacuation agreements" in which civilians are being moved out of some besieged areas.

They said some of the evacuations might amount to war crimes because they appeared "primarily motivated by the strategic considerations of the warring parties that negotiate them" and generally did not take the wishes of civilians into account.

Separately, Human Rights Watch warned that the coalition's use of artillery-delivered white phosphorus in Raqqa and in the last remaining IS-held parts of the northern Iraqi city of Mosul was endangering civilians.

White phosphorus can be used for several purposes on the battlefield - as a smoke screen, for signalling and marking, and as an incendiary weapon.

However, international law prohibits its use in civilian areas because of its indiscriminate effects. On contact, it can burn people, thermally and chemically, down to the bone.

"No matter how white phosphorus is used, it poses a high risk of horrific and long-lasting harm," warned Steve Goose, arms director at Human Rights Watch.

Also White Phosphorus again.

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3657 on: June 15, 2017, 09:53:42 am »
Paolo Pinheiro:
"We note in particular that the intensification of air strikes, which have paved the ground for an SDF advance in Raqqa, has resulted not only in staggering loss of civilian life, but has also led to 160,000 civilians fleeing their homes and becoming internally displaced."

Is he suggesting that every one of those 160,000 civilians are fleeing air strikes, rather than fleeing ISIS? That seems unlikely to me.

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3658 on: June 15, 2017, 10:00:09 am »
Paolo Pinheiro:

Is he suggesting that every one of those 160,000 civilians are fleeing air strikes, rather than fleeing ISIS? That seems unlikely to me.

I would say no but I would think staying in a city which has bombs dropping on it doesn't leave much option other than to flee.

Offline Andy_lfc

• Kopite
« Reply #3659 on: June 15, 2017, 11:09:52 am »
It does feel like the American led coalition have somewhat taken the shackles of giving a shit about civilians off now.  Is this an example of Trump era escalation in aggression?  Lets all wait for the loud cries of war crimes just as we heard for the Russian's treatment of Aleppo... oh wait that won't happen.  Is this double standards or are we all too distracted by everything else happening around us to have time to care?

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3660 on: June 15, 2017, 11:29:38 am »
It does feel like the American led coalition have somewhat taken the shackles of giving a shit about civilians off now.  Is this an example of Trump era escalation in aggression?  Lets all wait for the loud cries of war crimes just as we heard for the Russian's treatment of Aleppo... oh wait that won't happen.  Is this double standards or are we all too distracted by everything else happening around us to have time to care?

No doubt double standards.  If Russia was bombing Raqqa as intense there would still be silence compared to Aleppo as civilians in ISIS territory are forgotten.  It's like they don't exist even though hospitals, bridges, oil refinery's, schools etc etc are all there and bombing infrastructure is a crime but it seems not in ISIS territory.

I notice many of the activists who would scream about Aleppo are also very quiet when it comes to Raqqa.

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3661 on: June 15, 2017, 11:31:11 am »
I would say no but I would think staying in a city which has bombs dropping on it doesn't leave much option other than to flee.

Doesn't it call into question some biases? As does your response - note you didn't mention ISIS

I would think staying in a city which has Isis in it doesn't leave much option other than to flee

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3662 on: June 15, 2017, 11:36:26 am »

Do you think that systematically targeting healthcare workers, hospitals and the vulnerable - for the sake of destroying a city and sectarian division - is the same as bombing ISIS, and of course risking killing civilians?

It does seem like the airstrikes have escalated, and I hope proper care is being taken to avoid civilian casualties. But in an article that is trying to remain balanced, bear in mind that it doesn't mention that a number of those casualties (which is for obvious reasons very hard to authoritatively verify) might be members of ISIS

Offline Andy_lfc

• Kopite
« Reply #3663 on: June 15, 2017, 01:27:45 pm »
Do you think that systematically targeting healthcare workers, hospitals and the vulnerable - for the sake of destroying a city and sectarian division - is the same as bombing ISIS, and of course risking killing civilians?

It does seem like the airstrikes have escalated, and I hope proper care is being taken to avoid civilian casualties. But in an article that is trying to remain balanced, bear in mind that it doesn't mention that a number of those casualties (which is for obvious reasons very hard to authoritatively verify) might be members of ISIS

You make good points and I am probably drawing a false equivalence here.  What I would say though is that the quality and volume of reporting coming out of Raqqa is far lower than what we saw from Aleppo so we don't know exactly how targeted the coalition bombings are.  Hypothetically,  if an American jet dropped a bomb on a hospital in Raqqa would it ever be allowed the same attention that the Russian's doing the same in Aleppo drew in our media?

I guess you can call me skeptical of what we are fed, that's all.

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3664 on: June 15, 2017, 01:54:30 pm »
You make good points and I am probably drawing a false equivalence here.  What I would say though is that the quality and volume of reporting coming out of Raqqa is far lower than what we saw from Aleppo so we don't know exactly how targeted the coalition bombings are.  Hypothetically,  if an American jet dropped a bomb on a hospital in Raqqa would it ever be allowed the same attention that the Russian's doing the same in Aleppo drew in our media?

I guess you can call me skeptical of what we are fed, that's all.

Yes that's true about quality of reporting. It's beyond hard for us to know. The people who authorise the attacks are obviously also unable to disclose all of the intelligence they have, even if they believe it exonerates them.

Of course, given Raqqa under ISIS control, the opposite to your hypothetical also applies. If an American jet target a strike on ISIS militants (say, a safehouse used to hold artillery) would they self-report 'you got us, guys. You sunk our battleship'. Or, knowing what we do about their international recruitment/sympathy efforts (while also protecting their pride), would you prefer to say that the guy guarding the artillery was a civilian?

Scepticism seems sensible, but we must also be sceptical of all the other actors involved too.

Offline Andy_lfc

• Kopite
« Reply #3665 on: June 15, 2017, 04:28:17 pm »
Yes that's true about quality of reporting. It's beyond hard for us to know. The people who authorise the attacks are obviously also unable to disclose all of the intelligence they have, even if they believe it exonerates them.

Of course, given Raqqa under ISIS control, the opposite to your hypothetical also applies. If an American jet target a strike on ISIS militants (say, a safehouse used to hold artillery) would they self-report 'you got us, guys. You sunk our battleship'. Or, knowing what we do about their international recruitment/sympathy efforts (while also protecting their pride), would you prefer to say that the guy guarding the artillery was a civilian?

Scepticism seems sensible, but we must also be sceptical of all the other actors involved too.

I am pretty much agreeing with everything you say.  The opposite hypothetical was also true in Aleppo while under rebel control.  My point was that for either situation we are only told so much - that may be for security reasons, but also to feed the narrative being promoted at the time. I worry when we are told so little or when it becomes buried by news closer to home, is that just exactly what they want - a lack of scrutiny?

Of course the definition of who is classed as a civilian and who is ISIS is blurred and will absolutely depend on your point of view.  Is the man who allows ISIS to use his house under threat of harm to himself or his family classed as an ISIS sympathiser or just a terrified local doing whatever it takes to survive?  How would he be described if killed in an airstrike on his house?

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3666 on: June 16, 2017, 07:21:37 pm »
The US-led coalition’s use of white phosphorus munitions on the outskirts of al-Raqqa, Syria is unlawful and may amount to a war crime, Amnesty International can confirm after verifying five videos of the incident.

The videos, published online on 8 and 9 June, showed the coalition’s artillery strike using the munitions over the civilian neighborhoods of Jezra and el-Sebahiya. International humanitarian law prohibits the use of white phosphorus near civilians.

“The use of white phosphorus munitions by the US-led coalition gravely endangers the lives of thousands of civilians trapped in and around al-Raqqa city, and may amount to a war crime under these circumstances. It can cause horrific injuries by burning through flesh and bone and can pose a threat even weeks after being deployed by reigniting and burning at extremely high temperatures,” said Samah Hadid, Middle East Director of Campaigns at Amnesty International.

Amnesty International verified and cross-checked five videos that surfaced on 8 and 9 June 2017. The videos clearly show different angles of a white phosphorus air-burst and the same areas being targeted by burning elements of white phosphorus landing upon low-level buildings. Repeated use of white phosphorous in circumstances where burning elements are likely to come into contact with civilians violates international humanitarian law.

https://www.amnestyusa.org/press-rel...unt-war-crime/

Offline cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3667 on: June 19, 2017, 03:37:08 pm »
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jun/19/russia-target-us-led-coalition-warplanes-over-syria

Russia warns US-led coalition over downing of Syrian jet
Defence ministry says planes flying west of Euphrates river will be treated as targets after US military downs Syrian plane

This seems to be escalating quickly, as forces fighting ISIS are converging on Raqqa it is likely various factions will be fighting in close proximity and it could lead to conflict.

Offline nick_8589

• Kopite

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #3670 on: August 7, 2017, 12:02:17 am »
Nobody seems to care anymore...http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-40845771

Former war crimes prosecutor Carla Del Ponte has announced she is quitting a United Nations commission investigating human rights abuses in Syria because it "does absolutely nothing".
She added that "everyone in Syria is on the bad side. The [Bashar al-] Assad government has perpetrated horrible crimes against humanity and used chemical weapons. And the opposition is now made up of extremists and terrorists".

Later, she told a panel discussion at the Locarno Film Festival: "I am quitting this commission, which is not backed by any political will.

"I have no power as long as the [UN] Security Council does nothing. There is no justice for Syria."

I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3671 on: August 7, 2017, 11:51:55 am »
Nobody seems to care anymore...http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-40845771

Former war crimes prosecutor Carla Del Ponte has announced she is quitting a United Nations commission investigating human rights abuses in Syria because it "does absolutely nothing".
She added that "everyone in Syria is on the bad side. The [Bashar al-] Assad government has perpetrated horrible crimes against humanity and used chemical weapons. And the opposition is now made up of extremists and terrorists".

Later, she told a panel discussion at the Locarno Film Festival: "I am quitting this commission, which is not backed by any political will.

"I have no power as long as the [UN] Security Council does nothing. There is no justice for Syria."

Real talk

Offline cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3672 on: August 14, 2017, 10:10:00 am »
Really well written piece on the end of the battle for Mosul and how the cycle of revenge has been happening again:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/the-end-of-the-caliphate-z2f95f9h0?shareToken=a415381e26feb9b28909067bfae66dbb

Tragic the sheer barbarity of it all, with sectarian repriasals again the cycle will never end

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #3673 on: October 19, 2017, 10:12:37 am »
Although also applicable to the ongoing situation in Iraq and other places, I'll stick this in here as it is also relevant to the turmoils in Syria if not all of us.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-35695648

I thought it quite a superb piece by Jim Muir on the evolution and the current state of ISIS and how all the players involved have influenced and reacted to them over time.

It's quite lengthy, it's not the usual 2 paragraph collection of soundbites, so make yourself a cup of tea before sitting down to read it.
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline cdav

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3674 on: November 17, 2017, 01:04:57 pm »
Not sure where to post this, but its a brilliant piece of journalism (quite a long read too):

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/11/16/magazine/uncounted-civilian-casualties-iraq-airstrikes.html

It's staggering reading for the lack of transparency and incompetency shown by coalition forces, heartbreaking for the stories of the bombings victims and also brilliant to see we still have good journalists who will spend years doing difficult work to hold those in power to account and find the truth.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #3675 on: February 5, 2018, 10:33:45 pm »
Into the 8th year of the Syrian Civil War and still the Assad regime, supported by Russia, is dropping chemical weapons on its own people.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline cdav

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3676 on: February 5, 2018, 11:20:56 pm »
Into the 8th year of the Syrian Civil War and still the Assad regime, supported by Russia, is dropping chemical weapons on its own people.

Hundreds of thousands dead, 6 million internally displaced and 5 million refugees have fled the country.

How many different factions now are fighting to control what little remains of a once beatiful country? Syrian loyalists, Russia, Turkey, Iran, Lebanese, Western forces, money from Saudi and the Gulf States, Iraqis, Kurds, ISIS, Al Queda linked groups (Al Nusra, etc) and probably more. The poor, poor people having to live through this

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3677 on: February 9, 2018, 09:36:29 am »

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3678 on: February 9, 2018, 11:16:13 am »
I hope they get a fair trial...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-42995027

They will be begging for ANY trial after a few months at a CIA Blacksite.

Will probably then end up in the Federal Supermax in Colorado

Their lives as they know it are over.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3679 on: February 9, 2018, 11:42:01 am »
I hope they get a fair trial...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-42995027

On humanitarian grounds I hope they get the kind of trial they believe in, captured and executed.  Send them to America, let Barbarians judge Barbarians.
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.