Author Topic: RIP Christopher Hitchens  (Read 44074 times)

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
Re: RIP Christopher Hitchens
« Reply #200 on: January 16, 2015, 01:16:55 pm »
I don't agree. Out of theism, atheism, and agnosticism, the only one that isn't a creed is agnosticism. Both of the others are a belief.

You don't agree with what? What he said he believed?
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #201 on: January 16, 2015, 01:18:53 pm »
Your statement about cognitive dissonance.

That's a quote by Christopher Hitchens.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Offline nick_8589

• Kopite
« Reply #202 on: January 16, 2015, 01:26:26 pm »
Who admitted there was no way of knowing and said he couldn't live without Donne, Herbert etc.

Anyway, probably a trivial point. More important was the beautiful eloquence he had. Sadly missed.

He described himself as an anti-theist, in that he doesn't believe there is a god and that it would be a bad thing even if there was. One of his favourite lines was that if god were real it would be like a celestial North Korea.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #203 on: January 16, 2015, 01:43:43 pm »
For that, thank you Chris.

I'm sure he would thank you back for telling everyone he had deist tendencies.

Offline Card Cheat

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: January 16, 2015, 01:44:37 pm »
The only time anyone succeeded in standing their ground when Sharpton called him on the title of his book. Great debate that was.

Though it was apparent from that debate that the only bit of the book Sharpton had read was the front cover.

Offline Trim0582

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #205 on: January 16, 2015, 01:46:25 pm »
I don't agree. Out of theism, atheism, and agnosticism, the only one that isn't a creed is agnosticism. Both of the others are a belief.

Wait, atheism is exactly not a belief. It is not the other side of the same coin.

That's like saying deserts and oceans are the same only one has water and one doesn't.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #206 on: January 16, 2015, 01:49:24 pm »
For me Hitch at his best was the debate moderated by Amy Goodman against Galloway and his goons. For that, thank you Chris.

Yes, that was a fine moment for Hitchens and a dreadful one for Galloway. The tub-thumper versus the intellectual. Galloway all pre-prepared little insults and leaden feet; Hitchens quicksilver wit, erudition and uppercuts that you couldn't see coming. Galloway looked a fool and I began to feel sorry for him. It's never nice to see someone embarrassed like that.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #207 on: January 16, 2015, 01:51:21 pm »
Not really. For me they are both unfounded beliefs.

Well atheism has certainly failed to prove the negative. It's impossible to do of course. But that doesn't make it "unfounded".
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: January 16, 2015, 02:21:57 pm »
Hitch on the reaction to the religious violence that met the Danish cartoons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp5PvZC0vRs

Offline electricghost

• Might haunt your wiring, but will usually stop if requested to. Lives in a spirit house in Pra Kanong.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: January 16, 2015, 02:22:15 pm »
Not really. For me they are both unfounded beliefs.

Atheism is not the assertion that there is no God, it is the rejection of theistic claims that a God exists.

Atheism is the default position
“With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.”
― Steven Weinberg

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: January 16, 2015, 02:24:28 pm »
Orwell's animal farm might have given us the current version of Majeed Nawaz.

This is an incredibly enlightening interview with him,

http://www.npr.org/2015/01/15/377442344/how-orwells-animal-farm-led-a-radical-muslim-to-moderation
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: January 16, 2015, 02:24:36 pm »
Unsubstantiated?

Certainly not Tom. The atheist case for gods probably not existing, as built up over the centuries, is profoundly substantive. Obviously more substantive than for the opposite case, that gods probably do exist.

Offline electricghost

• Might haunt your wiring, but will usually stop if requested to. Lives in a spirit house in Pra Kanong.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: January 16, 2015, 02:25:48 pm »
Orwell's animal farm might have given us the current version of Majeed Nawaz.

This is an incredibly enlightening interview with him,

http://www.npr.org/2015/01/15/377442344/how-orwells-animal-farm-led-a-radical-muslim-to-moderation

Was going to post this too, excellent interview.
“With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.”
― Steven Weinberg

Offline electricghost

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: January 16, 2015, 03:10:29 pm »
[quote author=electricghost link=topic=284104.msg13547059#msg13547059 it is the rejection of theistic claims that a God exists.

Think you're mixing theism and deism there. Theists claim there is a God and 'you should do this.' Deists claim there is a god. Agnostics aren't sure. Atheists say there isn't.

Nope

If you accept the claim a god exists you a theist, if you reject this claim you are an atheist. You do not have to assert that there is no God.  This addresses belief.

If you claim to know a God exists or you claim to know one doesn't exist you are gnostic , if you do not claim to know a God does or doesn't exist then you are agnostic. This deals with knowledge.

Knowledge is a sub set of belief so you can be both things without contradiction. I am an agnostic atheist. I reject theistic claims about the existence of God but don't say I know that there isn't one.

Deism is a form of theism .
― Steven Weinberg

Offline chilongooner

• Kopite
  • There is only one Thierry Henry
« Reply #214 on: January 16, 2015, 06:09:49 pm »
Nope

If you accept the claim a god exists you a theist, if you reject this claim you are an atheist. You do not have to assert that there is no God.  This addresses belief.

My issue here is it seems like a false dichotomy based on a certain system of logic. For instance, it is possible to neither accept nor reject a claim of god existing.

I remember a discussion with a friend who was studying philosophy and Buddhist logic. I think it might have been Nagarjuna , Buddhist logician, who uses an expanded logic than just what Leibniz-Newton used. To some Buddhist logicians for instance it possible to BOTH accept and reject a claim that god exists and its also possible to NEITHER accept or reject a claim that god exists. It is a more metaphorical base for logic than pure literal.

I also remember a discussion on a mailing list a long time ago where the atheist asked the self-declared "do you accept or reject the claim of God's existence" and the respondent would die-hard insist "neither!".

If you claim to know a God exists or you claim to know one doesn't exist you are gnostic , if you do not claim to know a God does or doesn't exist then you are agnostic. This deals with knowledge.

Knowledge is a sub set of belief so you can be both things without contradiction. I am an agnostic atheist. I reject theistic claims about the existence of God but don't say I know that there isn't one.

Deism is a form of theism .

This is a very good breakdown.

You did miss pantheism though. If the belief is that the sum total of the universe =  "God" that belief sits outside the other paradigms, although an atheist might argue that a pantheist is still atheist towards any formulation of a God concept that religions use.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 06:15:26 pm by chilongooner »

Offline electricghost

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: January 16, 2015, 06:49:00 pm »
My issue here is it seems like a false dichotomy based on a certain system of logic. For instance, it is possible to neither accept nor reject a claim of god existing.

I remember a discussion with a friend who was studying philosophy and Buddhist logic. I think it might have been Nagarjuna , Buddhist logician, who uses an expanded logic than just what Leibniz-Newton used. To some Buddhist logicians for instance it possible to BOTH accept and reject a claim that god exists and its also possible to NEITHER accept or reject a claim that god exists. It is a more metaphorical base for logic than pure literal.

I also remember a discussion on a mailing list a long time ago where the atheist asked the self-declared "do you accept or reject the claim of God's existence" and the respondent would die-hard insist "neither!".

Sorry but that is just meaningless. It has nothing at all to do with the reality we experience, and therefore I have no time for it.
― Steven Weinberg

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: January 16, 2015, 10:21:51 pm »
Been going through his Arguably, set of essays. Some lovely little gems on Pakistan, Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan, Ballard.
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: January 16, 2015, 11:08:38 pm »
'Probably not existing' is agnosticism.

No it's not!

Offline electricghost

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #218 on: January 16, 2015, 11:08:50 pm »
Suspect we are working off different definitions. Do you agree with this classification?

http://youtu.be/jFaBbndExzg

No, I don't agree with the way he used the terms there.

I agree entirely with the point he makes though ignoring that.
― Steven Weinberg

Offline electricghost

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: January 16, 2015, 11:15:35 pm »
'Probably not existing' is agnosticism.

You are confusing belief claims with knowledge claims as I explained before.

― Steven Weinberg

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: January 16, 2015, 11:18:32 pm »
What is the obsession with atheism/agnosticism?

It's so tiresome when some smartness tells me what I think.

I am an atheist.

I don't believe in God.

I can't prove he definitely doesn't exist. But all the evidence points that way.

And it's irrelevant even if he does exist  - I still don't believe in him.

And of course I also don't believe in all the other gods either.

Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: January 16, 2015, 11:20:30 pm »
You can't claim an element of doubt and be sure!

Yes he can - he just did.

I assume you're a philosopher or have studied philosophy. It really messes with the ability to see what's actually going in around you.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline electricghost

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: January 16, 2015, 11:24:20 pm »
This is all semantics. My position is that anyone who claims to know for sure that a god/gods/God exists or does not exist cannot prove it.

I agree, that's my position too. Notice you use the word "know" there. It doesn't cover the question of belief which is separate.
― Steven Weinberg

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #223 on: January 16, 2015, 11:26:20 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/JWVshkVF0SY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/JWVshkVF0SY</a>
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: January 16, 2015, 11:28:27 pm »
This is all semantics. My position is that anyone who claims to know for sure that a god/gods/God exists or does not exist cannot prove it.

So by the same logic there can't be any believers either.

If it's impossible to say you don't believe because there's no absolute proof of non existence, how can anyone believe in God when there's no absolute proof of existence? 

Because all of things that have been claimed as proof of gods necessary existence have been shown to be anything but. He is not necessary in my life. He has no place in it. He does not exist.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 11:32:36 pm by Alan_X »
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: January 16, 2015, 11:36:39 pm »
I don't need to prove it, why should I need to? If I did, I'd be just as sad as those dickheads who think there is a 'god' and try to continually tell me that 'a' god does exist. They are all as bad and as mental as one another.

@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.

Online Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #226 on: January 16, 2015, 11:36:57 pm »
At last, a thread without ITK's.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: January 16, 2015, 11:38:12 pm »
At last, a thread without ITK's.

You haven't seen twitter or podcasts or news shows or the USA or pretty much anywhere in the world have you ?! They all claim to be ITK.

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline CHOPPER

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: January 16, 2015, 11:39:47 pm »

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #229 on: January 16, 2015, 11:49:25 pm »

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: January 16, 2015, 11:56:00 pm »

So by your reckoning everybody is an agnostic. The Pope just as much as Richard Dawkins. There's no such thing as atheism and no such thing as religious belief.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #231 on: January 17, 2015, 12:03:38 am »
Dawkins (Praise Be Upon Him) had a scale.

I think I'm about where he was, i.e. 6.999.......

Online Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: January 17, 2015, 12:15:13 am »
Put me down as a 7.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: January 17, 2015, 12:16:06 am »
Dawkins (Praise Be Upon Him) had a scale.

I think I'm about where he was, i.e. 6.999.......
Fucking copout!
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #234 on: January 17, 2015, 12:19:10 am »

Online Dr. Beaker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: January 17, 2015, 12:20:53 am »
I could be God.
But then you'd be a 1.
NAKED BOOBERY

Offline macca888

• Macca the Militant Illiterate Gnok. Chief Football Hack aka macca888. Jacqui Smith and Anne Widdecombe, in any order. Or together. He's not fussy. Overdue with Crosby Nick. Recently elevated to status Sir Precious C*nt.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: January 17, 2015, 12:22:05 am »

Yeah, I think I'll exercise my right to free speech here and say, what a load of fucking shite that is. It isn't a metaphorical base for logic; it's a literal base for pure unadulterated stupidity and smug smartarseness. Surely when you heard it, let alone when you actually typed it out, you thought to yourself "this really is the motherload of fucking stupid philosophical propositions?" The Buddhist logician, and by extension, your friend, if they accept that position, are a pair of fucking twats together. I somehow now wish there is a real vengeful god or gods, just so he, she or they can roast these two bellends in some form of eternal hell fire. I'm opposed to real life torture, but not so much to philosophical or supernatural violent eternal torture for the right people. Not you for posting what they'd said though, let me make that clear.

"Schrodinger's God - for when religion and philosophy wilfully misinterpret or simply don't understand science."
Macca resplendent!
A colossus bestriding the
moral high ground as ever.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: January 17, 2015, 12:23:28 am »

Yeah, I think I'll exercise my right to free speech here and say, what a load of fucking shite that is. It isn't a metaphorical base for logic; it's a literal base for pure unadulterated stupidity and smug smartarseness. Surely when you heard it, let alone when you actually typed it out, you thought to yourself "this really is the motherload of fucking stupid philosophical propositions?" The Buddhist logician, and by extension, your friend, if they accept that position, are a pair of fucking twats together. I somehow now wish there is a real vengeful god or gods, just so he, she or they can roast these two bellends in some form of eternal hell fire. I'm opposed to real life torture, but not so much to philosophical or supernatural violent eternal torture for the right people. Not you for posting what they'd said though, let me make that clear.

"Schrodinger's God - for when religion and philosophy wilfully misinterpret or simply don't understand science."

:lmao

:wellin

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #238 on: January 17, 2015, 12:23:31 am »
Does that scale apply to people who dont believe god is real but do follow/practice the set of beliefs of a religion

Offline macca888

• Macca the Militant Illiterate Gnok. Chief Football Hack aka macca888. Jacqui Smith and Anne Widdecombe, in any order. Or together. He's not fussy. Overdue with Crosby Nick. Recently elevated to status Sir Precious C*nt.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #239 on: January 17, 2015, 12:24:23 am »
I'm not editing it, but reading back, that post made me a little angrier than I expected   ;D
Macca resplendent!
A colossus bestriding the
moral high ground as ever.