Author Topic: Defending your home from burglars  (Read 22632 times)

Offline reniformis

• Legacy Fan
  • Innocence and Arrogance Entwined
Re: Defending your home from burglars
« Reply #240 on: March 11, 2017, 02:40:19 pm »
Have zero sympathy to anything that happens to people that break into others houses personally

Neither do I. That's not the point though. Personally, I think if we allow burglars to be beaten to a pulp in every case because they deserve it, then they'll either go ready for a fight or they'll start targeting the old and vulnerable more. Neither is good. It sounds like pandering to them but we really don't want more burglaries ending in a death unless we can guarantee it's always the bad guy.

That is the system working. It is exactly the kind of case that the jury rather than the CPS should decide.

Exactly. However, and I'll admit I'm totally ignorant in this, the CPS don't 'decide' anything do they? Other than that there's a case to answer. Do you mean magistrates maybe?
The Past Is Only The Future With The Lights On

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #241 on: March 11, 2017, 02:51:23 pm »
Neither do I. That's not the point though. Personally, I think if we allow burglars to be beaten to a pulp in every case because they deserve it, then they'll either go ready for a fight or they'll start targeting the old and vulnerable more. Neither is good. It sounds like pandering to them but we really don't want more burglaries ending in a death unless we can guarantee it's always the bad guy.

Exactly. However, and I'll admit I'm totally ignorant in this, the CPS don't 'decide' anything do they? Other than that there's a case to answer. Do you mean magistrates maybe?

The CPS decide whether to prosecute. I.e. Whether it goes to court. I would rather the courts acquit people than the CPS approve vigilantism without a trial. The law is subjective on self defence, and I trust a jury more than a bureaucrat.

Offline reniformis

• Legacy Fan
  • Innocence and Arrogance Entwined
« Reply #242 on: March 11, 2017, 03:07:45 pm »
I would rather the courts acquit people than the CPS approve vigilantism without a trial.

Oh I see. Yes, totally agree. Sorry, got the wrong end of the stick, my bad  :(
The Past Is Only The Future With The Lights On

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #243 on: March 11, 2017, 03:17:13 pm »
If someone broke into my house to steal my goods, they'd be challenged. I'd assume they're likely to fight back. Then they're getting their head caved in with the nearest blunt object I can find. I'd consider my own, and more importantly, my sons safety to be at risk.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT