Author Topic: My Club-My View Pt II.  (Read 6159 times)

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
My Club-My View Pt II.
« on: August 7, 2008, 04:33:49 pm »
Here's the 2nd part of My Club - My View, where RAWK asked a bunch of writers from the site to write anything they wanted on the title, with thoughts of the upcoming season. The first part can be found here:
http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=225779

Enjoy:

1. Mark_P

August is usually a time for wildly confident predictions, the usual Evertonian bet and the usual “this is our year” statements.  This year seems totally different.

Maybe it’s another season of underachievement in the league.  Maybe it’s watching United do the double, edging ever closer to our haul of league triumphs.  Maybe it’s watching our manager having to try and sell players he wants to fund possible transfers, the funds he was promised by two cowboys eighteen months ago nowhere to be seen.  But “that feeling” isn’t anywhere near as strong as it normally is by the time August hits.

The signing of Robbie Keane undoubtedly excites.  As well as guaranteed goals, his clever play in attacking areas is something we’ve been missing.  Whilst the price may be a little high, the fact that he won’t have any problems adapting to the Premier League means that the buy is certainly no risk, bar the risk of a further dodgy chant from the Kop.

The departure of John Arne Riise means “For fucks sake Riise!” has been shouted at Anfield for the last time, and is another weakness in the squad addressed.  The probable signing of Gareth Barry and departure of Xabi Alonso is obviously in the manager’s mind, and, despite no obvious gulf in class between the two, something he will likely get.  The pre-season judging of new players is something that means nothing, and should act as merely a fitness boost and piss up for the fans, but David N’Gog has look a handful, and the form of the young reserve players has been encouraging.

Yet as Liverpool get into bed with Thomas Cook and tout tickets in the shape of their “Matchday hospitality”, buy out our pubs on a match day and have two owners with view so out of touch with supporters they felt it was a good idea to have a quiet pint in the Sandon after a match, it’s difficult to look forward to another season of bending over and taking it up the arse from Gillett, Hicks, Parry, Platini, Thomas Crook, the FA, UEFA et al.

Fortunately the Spirit of Shankly union continues to grow, and will undoubtedly go from strength to strength this season, hopefully giving us a platform to make some difference, with Thomas Cook’s lowering of rip off prices for coaches to Liege a testimony to what can be done through the union – http://www.spiritofshankly.com/join.html

Let’s hope by May we’ve found ourselves owners who back up their “snoogy doogy” claim, and Benitez and Gerrard are lifting the one we want in front of a celebrating Kop, with a loud rendition of “Champions!  Champions!” buzzing round the ground.

Enough to even get this miserable arse excited!

2. Spartacus

The new football season kicks off in just over a week’s time and I can’t wait.  Every year it’s the same, come May I can’t wait for the season to finish and come August I can’t wait for it to start again.  It doesn’t matter how successful a season we have or more to the point how disappointing our league campaign may have been, it’s a cycle of emotions that I’ve lived with for many a year and I can’t see it ending anytime soon!

So what about this season?  What will Rafa’s fifth season in charge of the mighty reds bring us? Has he strengthened the squad enough to see us challenge for the title or yet again will our league campaign be over by Christmas?  I wish I had answers rather than opinions, but then if I had the answers would I still be waiting, eagerly anticipating the start of the season?  I think not!

For what its worth and purely from a leagues perspective I think we’ll have our best season yet under Rafa as long as Rafa lasts the season (I’ll come back to that).  So why the optimism?  Well partly because that’s my nature and I start every season full of optimism but also because I genuinely believe we’ve improved as a squad and I think Rafa is adapting to our league with every season, he’s not took to it overnight and he’s made mistakes but so what?  Who doesn’t?  As long as he learns by his mistakes and I believe he does then that’s fine. 

But I’m not getting carried away with my optimism, having the best league season under Rafa and winning the league are two very different things and in all honesty I don’t see us winning the league, I just don’t think we’ve done enough to bridge the gap.  I’m not a huge advocate of simply throwing money at the problem but I do believe we have to be buying players of the same calibre as Torres each season and not as a one off!  If that player costs money then he costs money!  All in all I’d class a title challenge and us still being in the race come March as a step in the right direction, anything more than that for me is a bonus. 

To be honest I feel sorry for Rafa, I’m sorry that he joined a club that prided its self on doing things the right way and supporting their manager, a club steeped in tradition with a reputation second to none yet he finds himself working with muppets and having to deal with unprecedented (for Liverpool) off the field antics, and I wonder how much he’ll stand for before he walks – but I also wonder how much our owners will put up with before they show him the door, a dodgy start in the premier/champions league and we’ll see how much faith they have in Rafa, have they got the bottle for the season ahead?  I believe a lesser man would have thrown in the towel by now and I don’t for one minute think he’s not considered that, but only time will tell.

3. -HH-
Last season was strange in many ways, and optimistic though I am in general I can't help but feel this time round is likely to be much of the same again. It's sad when matters off the field seem to matter more than those on it, but that's the way much of last season was - and sadly we seem no closer to ridding ourselves of the parasites that brought these problems in the first place. And what's worse is they seem to have learned better manipulation. They've realised that the best spin for them is no spin at all. The quiet is dulling people's anger and is allowing them to continue sucking the club dry. Meanwhile, Rafa is working his usual solid job in the transfer market with the added pressure of knowing that the owners want a league title and soon.
The saddest thing is that if Rafa does manage to bring back the title it will only serve to strengthen their hold on the club, attract more and more hangers on to the crowd which will lessen the impact of any protests we can actually make as supporters, either verbal or financial. Most people will tell you that they don't care who signs the cheques as long as we win the league, but that's not true for me. I want a good, responsible owner who will protect the interests of the city and the matchgoing fanbase as well as facilitating success on the pitch. Maybe it's a tough ask, but we're Liverpool and we should demand that of our owners. The matchday experience has already been ruined beyond recognition in the 7 years I've been going the match so god knows how those who remember the genuinely good days feel. *

On the pitch it's been a good summer. The way I see it we're a stronger attacking unit than we were last year - attacking full backs give us a new dimension, as does Robbie Keane. I think most defences will struggle against the talent we have, including the Mancs and Chelsea - where we lost the points that in the main cost us the title last year. The return of Danny Agger and to be honest the sale of Riise strengthens us defensively. On paper it's all looking very good, but if we're to turn that into a genuine title challenge we need to improve our mentality and defend and attack set pieces better, and all the signings in the world won't solve that problem. We're so close I can taste it, but being that close just makes it harder to take if you do fall short. Pre-season has involved a lot of positives too - some promising performances from youngsters, the return of Daniel Agger and for me a return to form for Jamie Carragher. Jamie was poor for me last season, but he's shown he's ready to get his head down again and prove any doubters wrong. And it being Carra, you just know he will.

My wish for the coming season is a complete reversal of last season, which started out with such optimism and petered out under a dark cloud of off pitch issues. Despite the strategic silence, those issues aren't resolved and won't be until the owners are removed. Getting rid of them in the first half of the season and settling things down off the pitch and finishing by taking the title to the wire would be my greatest hope. But even as an optimist by nature I can only see us getting one or the other at best, and sadly whichever we do get will be slightly sullied by the failure on another count.

*This ray of sunshine was brought to you by Powergen

I'm still waiting for the SOS, Wooltonian and Garstonite to get back to me, so part III will be along shortly!
« Last Edit: August 9, 2008, 01:31:57 am by hinesy »
Yep.

Offline liverboy74

• Main Stander
Re: My Club-My View Pt II.
« Reply #1 on: August 8, 2008, 01:25:14 pm »
Enjoyed the update, a quality read.
'If a player isn't interfering with play or seeking to gain an advantage, then he should be !'

Offline vicgill

• "do the simple things but do them well"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Football is the simplest game in the world son,
« Reply #2 on: August 8, 2008, 03:08:06 pm »
Another very enjoyable read (both articles).

"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

Offline king23

• Main Stander
  • in awe at the all seeing all powerful mods
« Reply #3 on: August 8, 2008, 03:36:29 pm »
enjoyed reading that, but i missed the 'snoogy doogy' thing, someone explain that to me quick?
"oots? its liverpool, not royston fucking vasey"

Offline CRAZY HORSE EMLYN

• Lives for twats
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: August 8, 2008, 04:11:22 pm »
Snoogy Doogy?
If memory serves it was Gilette's response to a journalist question over what transfer finds were available to Benitez... keen to express that they would sanction a move for any top player he came out with something along the lines of "Gee, uh we'd sign Snoogy Doogy if Rafa wanted him". The rantings of a bizarre and out of touch, lying wee man.

Offline oldboybailey

• Kopite
« Reply #5 on: August 8, 2008, 11:03:18 pm »
i think the claims about snoogy doogy have come true really. when he said that rafa could have snoogy doogy if he wanted we thought he just didnt have a clue about who the good players in football were. what he actually meant was rafa can have any player he wants, so long as nobody has heard of him and hes available on a free

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: August 9, 2008, 01:32:28 am »
Updated with -HH-'s excellent thoughts.
Yep.

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never forget the Hillsborough victims
    • Footy fans
« Reply #7 on: August 9, 2008, 12:13:07 pm »
To be honest I feel sorry for Rafa, I’m sorry that he joined a club that prided its self on doing things the right way and supporting their manager, a club steeped in tradition with a reputation second to none yet he finds himself working with muppets and having to deal with unprecedented (for Liverpool) off the field antics, and I wonder how much he’ll stand for before he walks – but I also wonder how much our owners will put up with before they show him the door, a dodgy start in the premier/champions league and we’ll see how much faith they have in Rafa, have they got the bottle for the season ahead?  I believe a lesser man would have thrown in the towel by now and I don’t for one minute think he’s not considered that, but only time will tell.

I very much agree with that. The other thing I didn't add is that no genuine challenge this year will probably see the back of Rafa, and I think that a fair number of fans will let him go without a fight. Impatience is another thing allowing the owners to follow their agenda rather than do what is best for the club.
Balotelli, Falcao, Cavani...

I'll be shocked if it's anyone other Etoo. Etoo or no-one. Simples.

In fact, I'll do you all a favor and ban myself from the January transfer window forum if we get anyone other than Etoo.

Offline The Bill Hicks Appreciation Society

• It's not much I know, but this is the best Barney could come up with at short notice. Too tight to buy his own cross-dressing gear. AKA 'Condomhead'. Has apparently had Elton John.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
    • Check out my RedmenTV Blogs
« Reply #8 on: August 9, 2008, 01:32:18 pm »
Enjoyed that.

In regards to Christine's worry of Rafa walking, do you not think he's invested too much in us to walk away so easily? If he ever did walk and I think it would be a big If (although I agree he may have seriously considered it in the recent past) he would have to start the process all over again at another club. I mean just now we are starting to see the results of his time here, it would be like admitting he's failed when he knows himself he hasn't.
Please take a look at my latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling the Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All other blogs can be read at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your thoughts

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #9 on: August 9, 2008, 01:38:56 pm »
Remember Istanbul and Cardiff a year later. Remember that we've beaten AC Milan, Barcelona, Inter and Juventus in the last 3 years and what the owners interference did to our form in the Premier League last season when we were the only unbeaten team in the division at the end of November. The last time I remember us going unbeaten in the league that long was Kenny's boys of 88 and we won the league by 9 points that season.

Rafael Benitez has:

Brought a keeper to LFC in Pepe Reina who's kept more clean sheets in a season that any Liverpool keeper ever.

Brought Javier Mascherano to us who's the defensive midfielder in the World.

Brought Fernando Torres to the club who's the 1st striker to score 20 goals in a league season for us in over a decade and in his 1st season.

Signed midfielders in Babel and Benayoun to LFC who score more than 10 goals in a season and don't even start every game.

He's brought two of the best young centre backs in the World to the club in Daniel Agger and Martin Skrtel.

He's turned Steve Finnan from one of the worst players at the club to the best right back in the Premier League.

He's made Steven Gerrard even better.

IMO now more than ever we need to get behind the team and Rafa and if we're if anybody is any doubt about how influential our support is then they only need to look back to the Chelsea Semi Final at Anfield on 3 May 2005.
« Last Edit: August 9, 2008, 02:36:48 pm by Alf »

Offline Kahuna{=}Berger

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Innovate, not imitate.
« Reply #10 on: August 9, 2008, 01:47:25 pm »
Thanks again for them hinesy.

-HH-s' thoughts, faily well sum up for me, mine at the moment.

Offline Spartacus.

• I dragged Rafa into the pub. Knits only with the finest quality Wools.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • KFS
« Reply #11 on: August 9, 2008, 02:28:51 pm »
In regards to Christine's worry of Rafa walking, do you not think he's invested too much in us to walk away so easily?

Walk away easily? No, never!
Walk away?  Yes, possibly!
RAWK anti scouse?
YNWA is more than a song, think about it.

Offline RedRush

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: August 9, 2008, 03:23:33 pm »
Good read. Cheers.

Offline Red Rascal

• Kopite
  • I believe in Liverpool FC!
« Reply #13 on: August 9, 2008, 07:01:11 pm »
I think there's a possibility of Rafa walking away, and he will only do so, after victory. He has class and he won't run away from problems... the owners would be the only reason to do so, and although hopeful, we will be watching with a sense of foreboding and impending doom...right up to the moment Gerrard hold up the Big One!
"Tactically, I did my job." (Rafa Benitez)

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: August 9, 2008, 07:12:23 pm »
Enjoyed that.

In regards to Christine's worry of Rafa walking, do you not think he's invested too much in us to walk away so easily? If he ever did walk and I think it would be a big If (although I agree he may have seriously considered it in the recent past) he would have to start the process all over again at another club. I mean just now we are starting to see the results of his time here, it would be like admitting he's failed when he knows himself he hasn't.
Sacked or strained by frustration, if he left he'll leave a quality squad with amazing young prospects up and coming. We're on the brink.

Offline Mr Boat

• y McBoatface
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: August 9, 2008, 07:29:44 pm »

2. Spartacus

The new football season kicks off in just over a week’s time and I can’t wait.  Every year it’s the same, come May I can’t wait for the season to finish and come August I can’t wait for it to start again.  It doesn’t matter how successful a season we have or more to the point how disappointing our league campaign may have been, it’s a cycle of emotions that I’ve lived with for many a year and I can’t see it ending anytime soon!

Can't agree more......................our team gave us so many great days and nights last season even though we didn't win a thing. Standing on the Kop with my lad with a tear in my eye the night we did Arsenal in the quarter final............it's what it's all about.............following the team rough and smooth; you just can't beat it.

A couple of mates - Utd fans- asked patronisingly how I thought we'd do this season; I almost replied that I didn't care, I'll still be here at the end of the season whatever happens...............it'd be nice to win it though..........

Here's to the season anyway

HOLD TIGHT..........really fast ride ;)
How strange it is to be anything at all - NMH.

Offline Indian

• Anny Roader
« Reply #16 on: August 9, 2008, 11:36:08 pm »
Quality posts again guys. Thanks Hinesy !
"Some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much,much more important than that. "
-----Bill Shankly -----

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2008, 12:10:21 am »
Thanks again for them hinesy.

-HH-s' thoughts, faily well sum up for me, mine at the moment.
Helter skelter

Offline Kahuna{=}Berger

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Innovate, not imitate.
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2008, 12:45:07 am »

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2008, 12:59:30 am »
;D
sefton Park was mentioned. Fuckin mad.

Offline Commie Bobbie

• Just woke up......Member of the Committee for State Security. More Folkestone Fashionista than Sandon Sandanista......
  • Legacy Fan
  • #WTRWWAW
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2008, 07:52:28 pm »
Thoughts...

I get the feeling that this is the year that we do break the voodoo - and we do beat one of the other big 4 away from home, probably Arsenal, though don't be surprised if we nail the Mancs.

10 points out of a possible 18 would be nice against those three.

We need to convert those draws against Wigan, Birmingham and the like - and put out our best eleven at much as possible - use the youngsters in the Carling Cup and the earlier rounds of the FA Cup.  We have seen what the likes of N'Gog, Spearing and Insua amongst others can do - note how they took the piss our of Rangers a few weeks back.

We need to show no mercy against the lesser clubs such as Stoke, West Brom, Aston Villa and Everton - whilst playing flowing, attractive football.

In Europe, I would like us to have a trip to Rome, but don't see it as a priority, whereas the PL is it, this year for so many reasons.  We cannot under any circumstances allow the Mancs equal our league record.  It is unthinkable.

Off the pitch, G&H will no doubt be adding their input (whether liked or not) into Rafa's tactics, no doubt they are probably finding 1001 ways to fleece the supporter whilst encouraging the corporate c*nts to devalue this club even more - but as much as they can try and do that, we can resist them.  There is no supporters on the planet like us.

Finally, in the 20th year since Hillsborough, it is time that the 96 got Justice.
Twitter: @atypicalbob

DON'T BUY THE S*N

MacKenzie Is Still A Fucking c*nt

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never forget the Hillsborough victims
    • Footy fans
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2008, 01:08:32 pm »
Christine is Mystig Meg...
Balotelli, Falcao, Cavani...

I'll be shocked if it's anyone other Etoo. Etoo or no-one. Simples.

In fact, I'll do you all a favor and ban myself from the January transfer window forum if we get anyone other than Etoo.

Offline gerrardspetal

• Rabid psycho nut harvester with no idea - but she did have some points
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • miaaaaaaaaaaow
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2008, 01:30:36 pm »
Walk away easily? No, never!
Walk away?  Yes, possibly!

Christine is Mystig Meg...

How mad  is that??
“You could say it’s not about being local, but about being vocal.
Kristian is a idiot.  A bad idiot.  Also a virgin.

@gerrardspetal - twitter

Offline Kakashi Hatake

• Kemlynite
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2008, 04:01:28 pm »
That was a good read.

Thanks aswell.