Author Topic: Reds look to fulfil Mancini's erratic prophecy  (Read 7445 times)

Offline guest

• Legacy Fan
Reds look to fulfil Mancini's erratic prophecy
« on: August 26, 2012, 10:48:54 am »
The room remained silent, but the expression of Roberto Mancini was unyielding. "I think Liverpool will fight for the title this year because they bought good players," the Manchester City manager told his captive audience at Friday's press conference. "They have a good manager; they change their style of play." The Italian is gaining a reputation for wild predictions and wacky prophecies. No matter the points difference between his City side and Manchester United last season, the Italian maintained his side were the underdogs in the title race. If you approached him moments after Sergio Aguero's divine intervention in the final minute of the final day, he probably still would have tied red ribbons around the Premier League trophy.

His face remained straight. It always does. That's not to say Mancini did see his side as underdogs; that's not to say he actually believes Liverpool can challenge for the championship in Brendan Rodgers' first season at the club. With just one throwaway soundbite, he transfers pressure on to Liverpool ahead of Sunday's game at Anfield. Maybe Liverpool can challenge for the title, they'll say; a draw isn't so bad for Manchester City after all. A win at Anfield might even be exceeding expectations. The Liverpool manager was in no mood to play along.

"We've got a bit of work to do of course, there's absolutely no doubt about that. I think with all due respect, we're still playing catch up," said Rodgers a day after his side beat Hearts 1-0. "I've been looking at a lot of the squads that have been assembled over the past few years and we're playing catch up."

Manchester City have quite the head start. Though the absence of Sergio Aguero is a blow to Mancini, the pain is somewhat subsided with the reinforcements. £27m striker Edin Dzeko made City believe with his equaliser on the drama of the final day; £24m forward Mario Balotelli, with mercurial madness and unlimited talent, single-handedly took Germany apart in the Euro 2012 semi-final. There's also Carlos Tevez who, with golf clubs in the attic and football boots on, is one of the best players in the league.

The wealth of talent doesn't stop there, which might give some explanation as to why the club have spent just £12m so far this summer – around £15m less than Liverpool. That's a luxury City can afford when they have such a head start over most teams in the division. Mancini will not buy for the sake of spending money, though he might have buyer's remorse after spending £12m on Jack Rodwell, presumably with the sole intention of discovering what he actually does.

But Mancini could have spent more. He still could. Manchester City want another centre back; they want Liverpool's Daniel Agger. Maybe there is some sincerity to heralding Liverpool as title contenders after all. Rumours the club were also looking at Agger's defensive partner Martin Skrtel refused to go away until the Slovakian signed a new contract; Glen Johnson and Lucas would fit nicely into their squad, and no club would turn down the opportunity to sign Steven Gerrard or Luis Suarez. The true gulf in quality lies in the depth of the two squads.

Agger will be suspended for Sunday's game, but the other four will be expected to start after being rested against Hearts. Rodgers knows they will have to be at their best if Liverpool are to make good on the vision he has of Anfield. It's not quite Shankly's bastion of invincibility, but with only six home wins last season, it's time to make Anfield the fortress once more.

"We know if we're going to finish with any sort of success this year, then we want to win as many of them [home games] as we possibly can," said Rodgers. "Manchester City are the benchmark, they are the champions, so we understand it's going to be a really difficult game, but my players are really focused and looking forward to the game. Anfield is somewhere this season we want to make a real fortress and there's no better game to start that than playing the champions at home."

How fickle fate can be, and how much time can change circumstance. Manchester City also provided the opposition for the first home game of another Liverpool manager. But Rafa Benitez did not encounter Tevez, Toure and Kompany in 2004; the class of eight years previous were not the champions. It was Anelka, Fowler and Distin proving troublesome and, after that, not much else: Ben Thatcher was at left back, Paul Bosvelt in midfield, Stuart Pearce in the dugout and only a miracle to the tune of moon turning blue before Manchester City would lift the Premier League title. Enter Sheikh Mansour. Liverpool won that game in 2004 2-1 and would lose only three at Anfield that season. In the first stage of his renovation of the football club, the savvy Rodgers would take both those results right now. He knows how difficult it will be.

"Every game at this level is difficult so you have to be at your best. And that's all we ever ask if we lose a game - we're just hoping the other team had to be at their best to win," he said. "Last weekend, we could have had that day 1,000 times over and it couldn't have worked out any worse for us in every sort of way; the response I've seen from the players for when they come in has been outstanding, they're really concentrated and focused on moving on."

Benitez had one luxury that Rodgers doesn't: the opportunity of winning the Champions League. Fenway Sports Group made it clear this summer that the club's league position is priority; though only two games in, a defeat would see the team at the bottom of the table. The publishing of any table should be banned before November, but there's no accounting for hysteria in the modern game. Rodgers will want the win against the champions on Sunday; three points, two games in, would see them level on points with both City and United. It could even make Mancini think twice about his erratic predictions for the season ahead.

Link: http://es.pn/NTbRII

Offline Discipline

• Legacy Fan
Re: Reds look to fulfil Mancini's erratic prophecy
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 11:00:16 am »
Great read as always L6.

If I may add, Mancini has never beat us at Anfield. Quite positive we can get a result here!
Hating people because of their color is wrong. And it doesn't matter which color does the hating. It's just plain wrong.

Muhammad Ali

Offline LondonRedMan

• wants to donate to RAWk because a kindly mod took away his nasty CT.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Don't buy the S*n
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 11:06:46 am »
Mancini may genuinely believe we can challenge. I think we can put in a challenge simar to spurs last season. Not the strongest challenge but still

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 11:27:01 am »
"Frosties"

Excellent read as usual L6.

City will need to buy a central defender in order to sustain their progress as they are a Kompany injury away from trouble. I expect them to come in hard again for Daniel this week and wonder if we are anticipating selling with there being no contract news. This would disturb me greatly for many reasons, the obvious being who would we be able to buy to replace perhaps the best left sided, ball playing defender around? Defence needs balance moreso than midfield where you can get away with no natural left footer.

As for a title challenge, I doubt it. I believe the two Manchester clubs have a real fight on their hands to withstand Chelsea who will only improve as the season unfolds. Which leaves us in a dogfight with the usual suspects plus Everton. Brendan is right, our home form will be crucial this season. Fix that and we will be in the shake up as all teams will take points off each other from bottom to fourth maybe making it the lowest points tally ever needed to attain that final spot. Even then, are Chelsea capable of retaining the CL? That is not out of the question.
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline DutchRed

• Legacy Fan
  • =
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 11:35:01 am »
Mancini may genuinely believe we can challenge. I think we can put in a challenge simar to spurs last season. Not the strongest challenge but still

Come on.. If Mancini, or anyone for that matter, think we can challenge for winning the league, he or she needs to stop drinking.

Great read L6!
It's just sex and violence, melody and silence.

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 11:50:08 am »
A Mancini quote purely designed to take the pressure off his team if there's a freak result. I will be surprised if we win today because are a new team, adapting to a new style, and without a pivotal player in Agger. It's as hard start for Rodgers as could be imagined.

Offline LondonRedMan

• Legacy Fan
  • Don't buy the S*n
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 11:56:36 am »
Come on.. If Mancini, or anyone for that matter, think we can challenge for winning the league, he or she needs to stop drinking.

Great read L6!

:)
We'll see. We're not as bad as Stan Collymore's prediction for us ( I think he said 8th)

Yep I enjoyed going through L6's article too.

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2012, 11:59:45 am »
No way does Mancini think we can challenge for the title, he's just trying with them shit mind games/trying to take pressure of his team, I'm sure they know he's chatting poo they ain't soft.

Good read though, as always.

Offline Earl of Dingleberry

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2012, 12:01:33 pm »

Offline WavertreeRed

• Anny Roader
  • Internet Terrorist, Detonating emails every 5 mins
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2012, 12:08:28 pm »
Mancini starting early with the mind games. we are obviously not going to be in the running for the title this year. He's just hoping City can nick a win here to keep ahead of Utd
Will you please kindly refrain from all this rational common sense bollocks.

Someone has said something on a social networking site, so it must be true.

Offline DutchRed

• Legacy Fan
  • =
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2012, 12:15:06 pm »
:)
We'll see. We're not as bad as Stan Collymore's prediction for us ( I think he said 8th)

Yep I enjoyed going through L6's article too.

I'd say we'd finish 8th too probably. Seventh perhaps, but the top six is more or less cemented, being Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs, the both Mancs and Newcastle.

Offline danielfonseca

• Clearly mad as a hatter who's gone mad with a box of frogs cracked up on SunnyD in a confined space and high on sherbet with no tea. Mad.
  • Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2012, 12:19:18 pm »
mancini obvioulsy thinks he is facing the same team and club as when he brougfht his italian champions and 40 or so unbeaten game record with inter Milan during Rafa reign.

He is really good at mind games, ask Ferguson , when he did the Guardiola Trick and said city have no chance of winning the league, and ended up winning it.

Funny that never gets talked about !
"My methods have translated and worked well from Halmstad to Malmo"

Online Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2012, 12:55:50 pm »
I'd say we'd finish 8th too probably. Seventh perhaps, but the top six is more or less cemented, being Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs, the both Mancs and Newcastle.

Really? after 1 season above they're now cemented?

Offline LondonRedMan

• Legacy Fan
  • Don't buy the S*n
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2012, 12:59:59 pm »

Arsenal have lost Song and their goals from last season (RVP)

Spurs have lost their manager, captain and will lose their best player soon (Modric)

Newcastle, teams will be wiser to them. One good season doesn't mean much. I recall Ipswich finishing 5th once...they didn't do that the season after...

Offline DutchRed

• Legacy Fan
  • =
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2012, 01:03:24 pm »
Really? after 1 season above they're now cemented?

They basically sign fantastic players.

Offline -Q-

• What's the Q for? The workhouse for the poor and the gallows for the left.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2012, 01:16:28 pm »

...frosties next?
Welcome to Liverpool Brendan Rodgers
Quote from: Brendan Rodgers
Liverpool Football Club is the heartland of football folklore...     Liverpool are one of the dynasties of the game...     I will fight for my life for the supporters and the people of this city

Offline Heighwayondawing

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on The Reds
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2012, 01:18:10 pm »
Do mind games actually work though on anyone but the supporters or referees? Not that the latter hasn't been sufficient for a certain club to steal a few...
The one most important thing that we all must remember, in case it slipped our mind, is this club is much more important and bigger than anybody. I'll never forget that and anybody that does is being a wee bit irresponsible and stupid I think because the club is more important than any one individual. The Club is, The Club.

Offline Red Genius

• Part of the Neville clan. Voted "Most misnamed RAWKite" 2009-10. Reformed Coprophagiac
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2012, 01:21:41 pm »
Do mind games actually work though on anyone but the supporters or referees? Not that the latter hasn't been sufficient for a certain club to steal a few...

Refers the right honourable gentleman to Kevin Keegan.
"I have been privileged and lucky to wear the legendary red shirt. No one can take it away from me. YNWA, I don't have to walk alone because Liverpool FC will always be in my heart."

The Legend - Sami Hyypia

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2012, 01:22:45 pm »
thanks for writing so much - very good stuff

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2012, 01:24:54 pm »

There is nothing like going way over-board is there?

Offline WorldChampions

• Charlie uniform november tango fan...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2012, 01:25:01 pm »
I actually fancy us for the win...

Provided all their first 11 is smoking the same crack as Mancini!

Offline Severely

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We go again
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2012, 02:07:19 pm »
I don't think Newcastle will be challenging as high up the table as people expect. Their squad depth is quite poor, and with Ba usually scoring in spurts, and Cisse still fairly new to the league, I'll be surprised if they're up as high as they were last season. Also, Mancini's having a laugh, it'll take a few years of solid building and backing of the manager before the words 'Liverpool' and 'title challenge' should be put together in the same sentence. I am confident we'll get there eventually though.
HERE LIES JOSE MOURINHO

THE BALL WAS OVER THE LINE

R.I.P.

Offline Base21

• Main Stander
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2012, 02:37:00 pm »
All he's trying to do is deflect pressure off his team...
So he'll tell ya that Swansea are title challengers very soon... don't be surprised..
You'll Never Walk Alone