Author Topic: Qatari's plan football tournament....  (Read 8933 times)

Offline robertobaggio37

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • But we will conquer the ball, each fucking time.
Re: Qatari's plan football tournament....
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2013, 09:49:26 am »
no way! fuck em this will totally destroy the football  :butt
The biggest problem anywhere in the world is that people's perceptions of reality are filtered through the screening mesh of what they want, and do not want, to be true.

Offline TitanTrigger

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2013, 09:52:41 am »
This has to be stopped by FIFA or UEFA, if it is left up to individual clubs there is too much money on offer for them to be able to turn it down.

Offline Flinstone

• Whatever you like. Would like to slip it in without making it awkward... Chinese Information Minister
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2013, 09:54:09 am »
Untouched? How can a league be untouched where 4 out of 20 clubs have £200M pumped into them? It would abandon all pretence of any club ever being able to break into the top echelon.

Think of the "don't touch me" performances from England players in the build up for the world cup. How much of the domestic league would be disfigured by the players saving themselves for the big money league.

Look at the impact of the IPL on cricket.

I don't think so.

I think that the clubs going places have a clear identity on the pitch which is fundamentally backed by a good youth system. football has the added advantage of being a global game where the supply of players through out the globe is never ending.

money might make the gap widen but it'll still be a gap that can be closed with good management. people pouring such money into clubs aren't known for patience so i think good planning will give you an edge.

the comparison with IPL is not apt at all.cricket was/is a dying sport
The West is finished, China is the future

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2013, 10:01:35 am »
In all honesty though I can see this going ahead and I can see us being 'invited' as well. And I can see FSG accept in order to "not get left behind."
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2013, 10:04:13 am »
Isildurr, as someone who has zero interest in cricket, could you tell me, genuinely, why you think it is a dying sport.

no way! fuck em this will totally destroy the football  :butt
This has to be stopped by FIFA or UEFA, if it is left up to individual clubs there is too much money on offer for them to be able to turn it down.

Football is fucked anyway. And FIFA/UEFA are as much to blame as the rich owners, moreso in fact.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2013, 10:06:12 am »
I don't think so.

I think that the clubs going places have a clear identity on the pitch which is fundamentally backed by a good youth system. football has the added advantage of being a global game where the supply of players through out the globe is never ending.

money might make the gap widen but it'll still be a gap that can be closed with good management. people pouring such money into clubs aren't known for patience so i think good planning will give you an edge.

the comparison with IPL is not apt at all.cricket was/is a dying sport

There is no way that an up and coming club can retain a squad where the "Qatari" clubs could offer to quadruple salaries without blinking.  With the current CL disparity it is incredibly difficult.  WIth a huge injection of cash it would be impossible.

Cricket is not a dying sport nor was it. It may have been ineptly run in the subcontinent, but that is a whole other discussion.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2013, 10:07:13 am »
In all honesty though I can see this going ahead and I can see us being 'invited' as well. And I can see FSG accept in order to "not get left behind."

Having only became aware of this half an hour ago, my initial thoughts are I'd rather LFC didn't, and got left behind. I hate modern football, but can't walk away from it.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Carlos: Very Kickable

• Pompous Twat. Scourge of Pinko Liberalism. Attitude to Cyan Conservatism is unclear. Lives in a Monochrome world and is baffled by colours.
  • Legacy Fan
  • As Gnaeus Pompeius Magnus would say...
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2013, 10:16:56 am »
Untouched? How can a league be untouched where 4 out of 20 clubs have £200M pumped into them? It would abandon all pretence of any club ever being able to break into the top echelon.

Think of the "don't touch me" performances from England players in the build up for the world cup. How much of the domestic league would be disfigured by the players saving themselves for the big money league.

Look at the impact of the IPL on cricket.

So should we withdraw from the Champion's league too?
I know you struggle with reading comprehension Carlitos, but do try to pay attention

Offline Flinstone

• Whatever you like. Would like to slip it in without making it awkward... Chinese Information Minister
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2013, 10:17:29 am »
There is no way that an up and coming club can retain a squad where the "Qatari" clubs could offer to quadruple salaries without blinking.  With the current CL disparity it is incredibly difficult.  WIth a huge injection of cash it would be impossible.

Cricket is not a dying sport nor was it. It may have been ineptly run in the subcontinent, but that is a whole other discussion.

they couldn't retain players if they came calling but they certainly could retain the overall quality of the squad. in football supply of talented players is def more than the requirement of elite clubs.

it might be ineptly run but that desn't explain the fact that stadiums were half empty during the world cup when india wasn't playing
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 10:20:34 am by isildurrr »

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2013, 10:29:06 am »
Won't happen.

I'd imagine the PL would just say 'Right, if you want to swan off and make this your priority then you can leave the PL and the money that comes with it' and I can't see many making that choice considering the Prem is the bread and butter.

They've talked about European Super Leagues for donkeys years. Never happens, never comes close to happening. This will be the same, its the same Qatari people making outlandish, ridiculous claims to keep their name in the headlines.

Plus, how would it actually work? If, for example, we were to be signed up as a permanent member of this tournament then whats to stop us sending the ressies out for a good pasting and just pocketing the money? Who decides what the strongest side is? Who decides who takes presidence over whether players do that or go to their national sides?
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline blurred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2013, 10:31:10 am »
It's all a hoax, y'know :wave

Anyone familiar with Cahiers du Foot (the original 'source' of the story, quoting the fictitious 'Agence Transe Presse' news agency)?

http://www.cahiersdufootball.net/article.php?id=4812&titre=le-qatar-lance-la-dream-football-league

As they said on their Twitter feed

On a publié ça dans la nuit de lundi à mardi vers 1h du matin... Tout est sorti de mon imagination

Translation - we published it on the night of Monday/Tuesday around 1 in the morning - it all came from my imagination.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 10:33:32 am by blurred »

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2013, 10:33:01 am »
as long as the local domestic leagues remain untouched i don't see much problem

like i said if the fixed location is removed we just get a re-packaged more glossy champions league which im ok with.

Four or five teams getting £175 million to take part plus prize money is not going to leave the domestic league 'untouched' is it?
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2013, 10:34:48 am »
It's all a hoax, y'know :wave

Anyone familiar with Cahiers du Foot (the original 'source' of the story, quoting the fictitious 'Agence Transe Presse' news agency)?

http://www.cahiersdufootball.net/article.php?id=4812&titre=le-qatar-lance-la-dream-football-league

As they said on their Twitter feed

Translation - we published it on the night of Monday/Tuesday around 1 in the morning - it all came from my imagination.

It says a lot about modern football that if this is a hoax, it all seems utterly believable...
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Offline Flinstone

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: March 13, 2013, 10:42:49 am »
Four or five teams getting £175 million to take part plus prize money is not going to leave the domestic league 'untouched' is it?

and what pray tell will they do with such a windfall? inflate transfer fees and wages.

doesn't matter though does it when you have such a large player pool.

Offline Swright90

• is very interested in Christian Ronaldo
  • Kopite
« Reply #54 on: March 13, 2013, 10:57:31 am »
If it were to actually happen, and all the teams agreed to it, and we weren't one of the teams involved, then you can kiss goodbye to any success. For that reason I think we would have to go and play if we did get an invitation.

I would put all my money on PSG being the first winners, too!

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2013, 11:01:54 am »
and what pray tell will they do with such a windfall? inflate transfer fees and wages.

doesn't matter though does it when you have such a large player pool.

So the league wouldn't be untouched. It's true that some of the money would go to clubs outside the golden circle but while its arguable that the Champions League money has 'trickled down' to clubs who aren't in it, there is clear evidence that the CL money or other large cash injections have created an upper tier of clubs who are much more likely to win the available trophies and one of that tier will be a certainty to win the league title. Twenty or thirty years ago it was possible for a small club to come up from the 'second division' and win the title, maybe even win the European Cup, based on the quality of management and one or two decent players.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline blurred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2013, 11:06:22 am »
It says a lot about modern football that if this is a hoax, it all seems utterly believable...

It very much is a hoax.

Offline BUSHMILLS

• PEBBLEHOUSE. Your auntie's agent provocateur.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never ask what's under his patio
« Reply #57 on: March 13, 2013, 11:07:58 am »
It's a hoax.

Online Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me
« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2013, 11:11:38 am »

Says a lot about modern football journalism too if it is a hoax - splashed over 3 full pages of the "paper of record".

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #59 on: March 13, 2013, 11:14:05 am »
£175m x 24 = £4.2bn.

That in itself should of been enough to show this was fake, or at least a hugely inflated figure. The CL only draws in about €1.3bn (about £1.1bn) a year in revenue so how exactly is the other £3.1bn get covered (and that's before other costs).

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #60 on: March 13, 2013, 11:21:30 am »
£175M just to take part?

That is mad, this will also mean, if it goes ahead, that players prices will sky rocket as other teams will know competing teams will have the money to cough up!

Can just see the back pages, new British Transfer Record, £100M for ****ing Leighton Baines or something mental like that.

The sums are ridiculous and would ruins transfers for sure meaning the small clubs would never have a hope in hell, as soon as they found a gem (lets use Michu as example) someone would buy him in the following Window for 10 times what the initial club paid and they would cash in because of the silly amount of money.

This is a very bad idea.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #61 on: March 13, 2013, 11:23:35 am »
The sums are ridiculous and would ruins transfers for sure meaning the small clubs would never have a hope in hell, as soon as they found a gem (lets use Michu as example) someone would buy him in the following Window for 10 times what the initial club paid and they would cash in because of the silly amount of money.

It's fake, but Michu probably will end up going for 10x what they paid for him without this £175m!!

Offline NatD

• Takes offence at authors and people who eat in restaurants.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: March 13, 2013, 11:30:11 am »
To get to the main Staidum would be walking distance for me (not in the Summer though!).

As much of a crazy plan this is, I honestly think the current owners of Liverpool would jump at the chance to get back to the top table in Football (even though this is a slanted view of that).

PS - just read a few other posts about it being a hoax, the fact that most people have reported this as news and being believable, is a reflection on the effect money is having on Football at the moment!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 11:32:07 am by NatD »
"...waking up at 12 in my clothes again, feel my head explode from a night of Gin..."

Offline Antics

• Roadshow
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is what you'll get when you mess with us.
« Reply #63 on: March 13, 2013, 11:35:30 am »
Well that makes Kay and Evans look a little bit silly.

Offline FernandoSusoLFC

• Has a boner for Bony. Listens on mute. broke the Flanno to Fiorentina story. may be @indykaila or @melly mellwood #incognito
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: March 13, 2013, 11:37:30 am »
as long as the local domestic leagues remain untouched i don't see much problem

like i said if the fixed location is removed we just get a re-packaged more glossy champions league which im ok with.

So Man United get 175m every two years for example is okay with you? that's effectively them buying any decent player in the world.

Did you just go full?

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: March 13, 2013, 11:38:45 am »
Lmao

Offline robertobaggio37

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • But we will conquer the ball, each fucking time.
« Reply #66 on: March 13, 2013, 11:40:00 am »
Well that makes Kay and Evans look a little bit silly like idiots.
The biggest problem anywhere in the world is that people's perceptions of reality are filtered through the screening mesh of what they want, and do not want, to be true.

Offline Yozza1

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: March 13, 2013, 11:41:28 am »
Against Modern Football.

Offline Flinstone

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: March 13, 2013, 11:41:57 am »
So Man United get 175m every two years for example is okay with you? that's effectively them buying any decent player in the world.

Did you just go full?

read fully before frothing at the mouth

Offline BUSHMILLS

• PEBBLEHOUSE. Your auntie's agent provocateur.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never ask what's under his patio
« Reply #69 on: March 13, 2013, 11:42:53 am »
Well that makes Kay and Evans look a little bit silly.

Perhaps The Anfield Wrap can ask Tony ("Exclusive: Chinese to Buy Liverpool FC") Evans about it on this week's show?

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: March 13, 2013, 11:45:04 am »
Kay claims that it's from a different source. Journalists ay

Offline S.Red please

• SerbianRed ;)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Penny Lane there is a barber showing photographs
    • HFSG
« Reply #71 on: March 13, 2013, 11:45:46 am »
Death by of football.
Justice for the 97

Offline Dubit10

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: March 13, 2013, 12:01:39 pm »
Or how about we take a stand along with the other invited clubs and tell them to stick it because in the long run it will ruin the game of football?!

If it did somehow go ahead I'd rather we were left behind.

You think the yanks are here for the love of the club? They are here for long term cash reward simple as that.

Looks like it's a fake anyhow thank fcuk.
Robbie Fowler is God

Offline FernandoSusoLFC

• Has a boner for Bony. Listens on mute. broke the Flanno to Fiorentina story. may be @indykaila or @melly mellwood #incognito
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: March 13, 2013, 12:03:39 pm »
read fully before frothing at the mouth

I'll froth over anything without reading it, that's how the internet works.

Offline Flinstone

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: March 13, 2013, 12:05:36 pm »
fabulous life you lead

Offline Flinstone

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: March 13, 2013, 12:08:59 pm »
So the league wouldn't be untouched. It's true that some of the money would go to clubs outside the golden circle but while its arguable that the Champions League money has 'trickled down' to clubs who aren't in it, there is clear evidence that the CL money or other large cash injections have created an upper tier of clubs who are much more likely to win the available trophies and one of that tier will be a certainty to win the league title. Twenty or thirty years ago it was possible for a small club to come up from the 'second division' and win the title, maybe even win the European Cup, based on the quality of management and one or two decent players.

perhaps but i wasn't around that time. i can only speak on the current game and this super league or whatever won't really change football much in it's current form.

Offline Nut/ella

• do!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: March 13, 2013, 12:09:25 pm »
too much of anything isn't good. in this case, money.

these gulf spenders can shove it up their arse.

Offline FernandoSusoLFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: March 13, 2013, 12:10:57 pm »
fabulous life you lead

I know, thanks for acknowledging it.

Offline tommy LFC

• Despite his sophistication, intelligence, wit, charm and extraordinary good looks, nobody wanted to give him one...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • VAR is shite.
« Reply #78 on: March 13, 2013, 01:49:00 pm »
Horrible, elitist idea.

It's this "lets make the rich richer" idea that has literally ruined the world's economy, and if this happens, it will do the same to the game I love.
Let us never forget Rafael Benitez and what he did for us. A fighter full of guts and passion. A gentleman full of class and dignity. A football manager full of intelligence and pure genius. A Legend.
Adios Rafa, buena suerte.

Some people say I'm a dreamer...

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: March 13, 2013, 01:59:09 pm »
Having only became aware of this half an hour ago, my initial thoughts are I'd rather LFC didn't, and got left behind. I hate modern football, but can't walk away from it.
I'd rather we didn't as well. Would be disgusted(but not at all surprised) if we went ahead with it though.
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.