Author Topic: Mass Effect 3-The ending is shite Macphisto  (Read 33379 times)

Offline abs-ibs

• Legacy Fan
Re: Mass Effect 3-The ending is shite Macphisto
« Reply #600 on: July 18, 2013, 07:05:11 pm »
Myself, I would've liked a slightly altered dark energy finale where the Reapers always fix the dark energy problem every 50,000 year's but to fuel them they need to harvest organics. The problem is that in the Reapers minds they see the harvest as the important thing not fixing dark energy affected stars, although they do in fact fix the stars.

Then during the third game your mission is to fix the Reapers mindset which has become faulty and also to find a fuel source for them or indeed sacrifice organics if you failed in that. All the while the Reapers fighting you coz they feel everything is working well.

If I were to alter the actual ending as it is, I wouldn't give anyone a choice at the end, but have things happen in accordance with ur paragon points etc paragon = blue ending,  middle ground = green etc. That might've been a more acceptable way of finishing this ending off.

Offline usernamefc

• Kinky Winky Apiary Japery
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #601 on: July 18, 2013, 08:54:50 pm »
Forgive me for just quickly skimming over your post, but I do agree with this " I was just so disappointed that all the people I had met in the game didn't have a role to play in the final (half an) hour of the game." The thing is about the game is that it did have a fixed plot regardless of choices. I really do think the entire choice thing was something there simply for interaction and making the player feel it was personal. It made the game all the more engaging, however, ultimately, the choices were pointless. Sure, it might have affected how you interacted with characters and built relationships with them, but that is on a personal gameplay level. For example, I played ME3 on my PC from scratch without continuation. In the first ME I let Kaiden die. In ME3 he is dead by default. Bioware must have just assumed he was unpopular, so they write him out of the canon story. Similar with outside characters like Jack. I never even knew she was in the game.
Spoiler
You never played as your story? No wonder you didn't hate the ending, you never had who whole efforts carrying through to the end, you never had 3 games worth of your story not meaning anything, you just had one story that was ME3, with no real emotional attachment.

Also, you're wrong about Kaiden being dead by default. In a new game of ME3 (no carry over) it asks you questions, one of which is who died on virmire, whatever you answer decides who appears in the game. He was never written out of the story, even in ME2 without the comic thing, Kaiden was alive if you were female, while if it was male it was Ashley.

Honestly, you even said yourself "ultimately, the choices were pointless", which to many of us, was the point. It wasn't just one game in the series where you follow a story, it was 3 games, where you make your story, where what you did in the game changes how it all ends (Heavy Rain type ending). But it wasn't, it was a shitty gameplay moment in the first place (walk through the citadel, talk to some kid), where it made no real sense (I'm a magic robot ghost kid who is here to kill you so other robots don't kill you) and finally, all the stuff you did in the game that was meant to matter? It doesn't, it's the same no matter what, so if you had a soul and didn't start from scratch in ME3, it was just massively disappointing.
[close]

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #602 on: July 22, 2013, 09:53:14 pm »
Oi! Who changed the title? :)

Well I liked it anyway, so... :moon

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #603 on: July 22, 2013, 09:58:15 pm »
Spoiler
You never played as your story? No wonder you didn't hate the ending, you never had who whole efforts carrying through to the end, you never had 3 games worth of your story not meaning anything, you just had one story that was ME3, with no real emotional attachment.

Also, you're wrong about Kaiden being dead by default. In a new game of ME3 (no carry over) it asks you questions, one of which is who died on virmire, whatever you answer decides who appears in the game. He was never written out of the story, even in ME2 without the comic thing, Kaiden was alive if you were female, while if it was male it was Ashley.

Honestly, you even said yourself "ultimately, the choices were pointless", which to many of us, was the point. It wasn't just one game in the series where you follow a story, it was 3 games, where you make your story, where what you did in the game changes how it all ends (Heavy Rain type ending). But it wasn't, it was a shitty gameplay moment in the first place (walk through the citadel, talk to some kid), where it made no real sense (I'm a magic robot ghost kid who is here to kill you so other robots don't kill you) and finally, all the stuff you did in the game that was meant to matter? It doesn't, it's the same no matter what, so if you had a soul and didn't start from scratch in ME3, it was just massively disappointing.
[close]
At some point I will play them all back-to-back, so I could form a different opinion. Regardless, I still maintain the entire series was more to do with the characters and your relationships with them than the overall story or premise, or at least the grand one, which was the reaper threat. I'd love to see it branch off and have a more contained story for the next one.

Offline Not Bob

• RAWK Factor Winner 2012 - it's a rap, folks!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #604 on: July 23, 2013, 03:47:40 pm »
Just started playing 2 again. I kind of wish 1 was made better, as I'd rather play all three in a row, but I remember the first being madly cumbersome.

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #605 on: July 23, 2013, 04:36:38 pm »
The only thing that pisses me off about 1 is the stupid interface (on the PC version). I still have it on Xbox and I don't think the interface was that bad in that version. If only there was an easy way to use your xbox-saves on PC. Then again that comic-book-DLC they made for ME2 at least makes it easy to make the choices from ME1 before starting number 2. And it gives a nice re-cap of the story... ;)

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #606 on: July 23, 2013, 05:56:18 pm »
Just started playing 2 again. I kind of wish 1 was made better, as I'd rather play all three in a row, but I remember the first being madly cumbersome.
Yeah I feel the same. Also 2 was the first one I owned, and I couldn't take my shepherd back in time to do 1.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Not Bob

• RAWK Factor Winner 2012 - it's a rap, folks!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #607 on: August 1, 2013, 09:21:46 pm »
Fuck it. Bought the PS3 bundle for $40. Gonna play them all, starting from the first.

Offline pepe_carra_stevie_nando

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #608 on: August 2, 2013, 12:18:25 pm »
Love this song.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/re32xnyYP3A?fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/re32xnyYP3A?fs=1</a>

Thing is, if you're going to have a massive beard then you simply MUST have a 'tache with it. Otherwise you just look like you've dipped your sticky chin in to a box of fannies.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #609 on: October 20, 2015, 02:15:21 pm »
Right....so I've just done something rather foolish.....

With a stack of AAA games just about to drop I've gone and bought Mass Effect 3.

Probably not the smartest move :o ;D

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #610 on: October 20, 2015, 03:05:41 pm »
Right....so I've just done something rather foolish.....

With a stack of AAA games just about to drop I've gone and bought Mass Effect 3.

Probably not the smartest move :o ;D

Have you played the others?
ME2 is one of my favourites of all time.
I also really liked ME3, the ending was panned but I wasn't that arsed, I just enjoyed the actual game.
Never played the first one. Shame but I know if I go back and do that I'll have to play 2&3 again and ain't nobody got time for dat.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #611 on: October 20, 2015, 03:43:16 pm »
Have you played the others?
ME2 is one of my favourites of all time.
I also really liked ME3, the ending was panned but I wasn't that arsed, I just enjoyed the actual game.
Never played the first one. Shame but I know if I go back and do that I'll have to play 2&3 again and ain't nobody got time for dat.
Tried 2 but never got into it.

My mate loves the series and has never understood my apathy.

Was watching vids on youtube last night and it convinced me I needed to give it another try....so I am ;D ;D ;D

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #612 on: October 20, 2015, 03:48:48 pm »
Tried 2 but never got into it.

My mate loves the series and has never understood my apathy.

Was watching vids on youtube last night and it convinced me I needed to give it another try....so I am ;D ;D ;D

I liked 2 best partly because of the planet scanning stuff, apparently loads of people hated it but I spent ages gathering all the resources.
If you start with 3 then you'll probably not be too arsed about the ending of the game either as you haven't invested as much time in the plot/characters. You might miss the true impact of a few moments that were planned out in the earlier games.
I did try the first game after finishing 3, actually, but didn't get very far as mechanically it was difficult to go back to the earlier way of doing things after so long with what I felt (by no means a consensus opinion though) was a superior system in the latter 2 games.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 04:00:43 pm by SamAteTheRedAcid »

Offline Mr Mingebag Squid

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #613 on: October 20, 2015, 03:59:49 pm »
Loved 2 & 3 - hated 1 though!
My Sporting Dream Team:-
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button
My Twatter : @MrHappySquid

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #614 on: October 20, 2015, 04:29:30 pm »
I would say, you have to at least play 2 and 3 to fully enjoy Mass Effect. For me it was mainly the characters, their background stories and the relationships with Sheppard that made the game special. I don't really think the overall gameplay is anything special, both in terms of the quests you do or the fighting. I loved the game, because you felt a connection with most of the characters and you wanted to know their story. And that's lost if you just play one of the games...

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #615 on: October 20, 2015, 04:35:27 pm »
No chance I'm going back for 1 and 2 now, waaaayyyy too late.

No idea where I'll fit 3 in either.....

Destiny hard raid friday, Halo 5 a week today, Fallout 4 three weeks away, Mad Max at about 10% +100 other games not yet completed.......and Borderlands 2 hard play through not yet complete!!!!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #616 on: October 20, 2015, 06:24:26 pm »
Mass Effect 2 is one of my favourite games ever, awesome
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #617 on: October 21, 2015, 02:17:41 pm »
Put a couple of hours into this last night. Really enjoyed it, with my headphones on I found it very immersive.

Can see me putting the 40-60 hours required into this.....if the Halo 5~Fallout 4 combo doesn't take over my life of course!