Author Topic: Something Special is Happening at Liverpool Football Club  (Read 14438 times)

Offline macca888

• Macca the Militant Illiterate Gnok. Chief Football Hack aka macca888. Jacqui Smith and Anne Widdecombe, in any order. Or together. He's not fussy. Overdue with Crosby Nick. Recently elevated to status Sir Precious C*nt.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Something Special is Happening at Liverpool Football Club
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2014, 11:47:01 am »
But I do agree with how you've used the experiences of everyone in that dark, dark period 2007-10 (re the 'owners'), to give even greater perspective to what has happened in the current joyous era 2013-.......

Brilliant.  And sobering!

Agree with that Shaun. A brilliant and well written piece by Dan, but the 2007 - 2010 part made me feel like someone had just walked over my grave. From where we were then to where we are today, including quotes from the players at the time compared to their utterances in every interview these days, is just poles apart. And we're all the better for it.
Macca resplendent!
A colossus bestriding the
moral high ground as ever.

Offline SpartanTree. No deccies or lights.

• Legacy Fan
  • This is ANFIELD !!!
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2014, 01:35:43 pm »
Wow - totally blown away by that post.  Top job mate.

The period leading up to the FSG takeover was horrible to say the least. 
How did it come to this? was all I asked myself when it became apparent that the threat of administration was all too real.  I couldn't get my head around how Liverpool might actually end up doing a Leeds and so anger/frustration became my overriding emotions at the time - running roughshod over hope, optimism & enthusiasm.

I recall the sheer sense of relief when the announcement came through that the board had approved the NESV takeover.  It was a similar feeling when Hodgson was relieved of his duties.

Really does seem like such a long time ago but makes me more determined to enjoy every single second of the here and now !
'Siempre es posible' - my eyes have seen the glory...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9OHC7lIfvk4

Physical death I do not fear, death of conscience is a sure death.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2014, 03:29:47 pm »
Epic post and beautifully written. One thing missing I think though and I was waiting for it to come....and I don't mean to make any kind of Kenny vs Brendan or anything like that but...Kenny coming in a and uniting the club was a massive part of the healing that began after Hodgson went on his merry way. Emotionally and on the pitch Kenny restored the club to a solid footing and was really the first good decision that FSG made as owners.

Onward and upward!

That's very true. I don't think the club could have gone from Hodgson to Rodgers and things turn out as they have done. Kenny did an important job stepping in when he did and the end of that season (especially Fulham away and the Cup Finals) was a reminder of what it was like just to enjoy the football again.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2014, 06:27:45 pm »
An absolutely brilliant post to set you up and carry you forward in to tomorrow until 1.37.

Thanks mate.

Offline cowtownred

• We're only making plans for Nigel, We only want what's best for him, We're only making plans for Nigel, Nigel just needs a helping hand
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2014, 11:40:48 pm »
This needs to be read, and appreciated.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2014, 12:11:06 am »
This needs to be read, and appreciated.

Agreed C.

Sprouts has pulled a great piece out of the bag to capture the moment better than anything else on this board. It's puzzling why the rest of the usual Round Table brigade seem to be hiding their appreciation. Perhaps they need the evidence of yet another win on the board to coax their red passion out of its slumber eh C?

;)

Offline cowtownred

• We're only making plans for Nigel, We only want what's best for him, We're only making plans for Nigel, Nigel just needs a helping hand
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2014, 12:22:27 am »
Don't know Timbo mate.

One of the best and thought provoking posts I've read for years on here.  I loved it   *(and your replies were excellent).

I think I'm out of favour at the moment, I have riled a few while pissed ha ha

But that shouldn't detract from an absolutely outstanding post.  Cheers D.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2014, 12:33:31 am »
Don't know Timbo mate.

One of the best and thought provoking posts I've read for years on here.  I loved it   *(and your replies were excellent).

I think I'm out of favour at the moment, I have riled a few while pissed ha ha

But that shouldn't detract from an absolutely outstanding post.  Cheers D.

I seem to be finding many younger fans needing the reference point of the Hicks/Gillett/Hodgson low point in order to legitimise the extent of their appreciation at what's taking place, whilst many older ones feel the legacy of Shanks/Paisley/Keegan/Dalglish is perhaps altogether too sacred to have the current happenings compared to it.

As one of the elder bretheren - if not the eldest - on these boards I'm calling it as it is. Unfuckingprecedented. And Sprouts - bless him - has done justice to that and his mighty piece - oo er - deserves far more acclaim than it seems to have so far gotten.

;D
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 12:35:54 am by Timbo's Goals »

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2014, 12:34:31 am »
 I looked at the title, opened the thread and thought, Uh oh, here we go, Superfan shite. But I clocked the Soles of the Gazzelles being cleaned off, smiled, read on, all visions of Singapore airlines and trailing banners quashed, read the comments and got a nice content feeling at the end.

Well, said, Sir. Absolute pleasure to read. And I see the same thing as Timbo... Good times. The end of the Storm.

We can't ever forget our shared bad times. We never will. But something special is happening again, and it's time for us all to enjoy it.

I don't go back far as Timbo. I don't remember us in the 2nd division. I remember our first title and FA Cup under Shanks. Funny enough, the Cup was bigger. And cliched as it is, the title did become our bread and butter. We just took them for granted, and thought they'd never stop. Fuck me, i was still a young man the last time we handed it back. But, bad as things got, I never stopped believing we'd get it back. But sadly, for the last few years, I nearly never cared if we ever did.

Of course, I cared for others, especially the kids that have never seen one. But personally, well, I lost something. It just didn't feel the same. Some people can't understand that. I suppose, I didn't meself. But that's how badly the last few years knocked me.

Like I said, some people couldn't understad that. But then they don't know what the club meant to me and how much I did care. But it was never about winning. It was never just about football. That was nice like, and the center of it all. But even as a kid, it was about  being part of something, something more than winning trophies. I didn't really understand that then. It was just about being with all me mates, and being a naughty little fucker having a laugh. But as I got older, and everyone and it's dog turned against us, it was about pride, a way of sticking up two fingers to the lot of them. And when Thatcher went to war against us, it was a way of showing our defiance and fighting back. It wasn't just LFC and football. It was our culture, our city, our people and fuck everyone that attacked us. Yes, Maggie, you horrible bitch, Liverpool was the hardest nut to crack.

I hope this doesn't offend anybody. I don't say it lightly. We all lost people at Hillsborough, personally or emotionally, some both. But that terrible tragedy could only bind us tighter together. But i really don't want to say too much. I very rarely comment on Hillsborough. I have my reasons. The people that matter to me know why. I hope everyone that reads it can understand.

LFC is not just football. And here we are again, back under attack from robbing Tory bastards, good people, refusing to give in and fighting back. And god love the good people that refused to just let it all go and move on. And once again, our club and our football  is something to be proud of, something thrilling and good, something to stick two fingers up about and laugh together, part of something bigger than ourselves. Fucking great, isn't it. And in Brendan, I hope the kids have found their Shankly.
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

http://misterinobody.weebly.com/

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2014, 12:34:51 am »
The flags are being ironed, the voices rested, the beers chilling and the soles of the Gazelles being cleaned. The texts are being sent, the emails received, the excitement mounting. The blood pressure is rising, the heartbeat quickening, the expectation intolerable.

The start of Sunday's game cannot come soon enough, nor can its denouement. We yearn for time to carry us forward three days to reveal the result of what - barring 2005's Champions League final - might just be Liverpool's most important game in a quarter of a century. Even Jonathan Pierce couldn't outdo the hyperbole attached to this one.
Something special is happening at Liverpool Football Club. We, the fans, have known this for some time, yet it's seemingly only recently been revealed to a wider, and now Pavlovian audience. Pressmen, pundits and previous naysayers are gorging on the possibility of Liverpool winning the league. Interviewers have been at pains to question Brendan Rodgers about his side’s chances. Time after time, the man from Carnlough has played with a straight bat:

Despite his best assurances, everyone knows that behind the Wedgewood smile is fortitude in the belief that Liverpool can depose Manchester United as Champions (who incidentally lost their mathematical grip on the title last week) of the Barclays Premier League. Re-reading Nick Hornby’s Fever Pitch recently, I couldn’t help but be drawn by this paragraph and its relevance to this season’s Liverpool side:

To date, Rodgers has won no silverware with Liverpool, yet there have already been two standout achievements during his short tenure:

The first achievement is to mould a team that refuses to offer an on-field rebuttal to this fantastical notion that Liverpool can win the league for the first time since 1990. Fans bear witness now to a team playing with freedom and joy unconfined; a team intent on wearing writers’ thesauri thin; a side united and driven; a team that might just go all the way. Brendan Rodgers is a man that has instilled in all of us the privilege of belief.

The second achievement though, is all the more complex and ultimately intangible. It requires some historical context to grasp its enormity.

Cast your minds back to the 29th of December 2010. The hardier souls will doubtless have cast all memory of that fateful evening aside; for those less fortunate, it will have left an indelible mark. That night, Wolverhampton Wanderers recorded their first win at Anfield in 27 years, as Liverpool found themselves sitting 12th in the table having lost more games than they’d won.

It was an epochal night for the Old Gold and undoubtedly the nadir of Roy Hodgson’s reign as Liverpool manager – a reign lasting less than 200 days.

We were left wondering where on earth does the club go from here? Whether by chance, sheer incompetence, bloody-mindedness or divine will, Hodgson’s reign was so awful, as to fill our hearts with despair. For the first time ever Liverpool fans actively wished and hoped and dreamed for his swift deposition as manager. To have been forced to think so callously made our anger and frustration all the more acute.

But perhaps it wasn’t all the fault of Hodgson, rather we must look at the recent history of the club – from February 6th, 2007 – to see how there had been a profound and saddening dynastic dismantling of the club that at one point, we were very close to losing.

Prior to February ’07, the future ownership of LFC had been the subject of innuendo from all quarters. The list of potential suitors was long and included Sheikhs, builders and mystery businessmen. Eventually it was a pair of hitherto unknown Americans - their fortunes amassed through gridiron and ham – that seized control of the club at the recommendation of the board. As with all new partnerships, there was a brief honeymoon as Liverpool reached the Champions League final and finished 3rd in the Premier League. In that summer, the board sanctioned the purchase of Fernando Torres from Atlético Madrid and a legend (at the time) was born.

But as summer came and went, and the 2007/08 season started in earnest, the well-documented descent into chaos and near-ruin began. It is too tiring and it is too saddening to exhume all the details, but the potted timeline of the reign of Hicks and Gillett is as follows:

December 2007

Tom Hicks and George Gillett make an unseemly flirtation with Jürgen Klinsmann about the possibility of taking over as manager, while their relationship with Benitez continues to erode.

January 2008
Liverpool draws 2-2 with Villa as Steven Gerrard announces:
Frustration grows amongst the fans as Dubai Investment Capital appear ready to make an offer for the club a year after their original battle for the ownership with Hicks and Gillett.

The two American’s are reported to have refused to piss on each other if they were on fire.

February 2008

The ‘Spirit of Shankly’ Liverpool Supporters Union is established as:

“[an] organisation, which could bring Liverpool supporters together and speak out on their behalf on every issue”

and “To hold whoever owns the football club to account”.

May 2008

Hicks and Gillett halt any further progress on the new stadium in Stanley Park until “financial conditions improve”. In reality, improved financial conditions actually meant “We’re £300,000,000 short”.

July 28, 2008

Liverpool sign Robbie Keane from Tottenham Hotspur for £20,300,000 including add-ons

May 24, 2009

After assembling arguably the best squad seen since the title win in 1990, Benitez's side finished as Premier League runners-up, 4 points behind Manchester United.

June 2009

Christian Purslow is hired as the managing director of Liverpool FC. His primary role is to renegotiate the £350,000,000 loan that Hicks and Gillett had negotiated with the Royal Bank of Scotland during the club’s purchase in 2007. The Guardian states that Purslow was tasked with finding:

“£100m of fresh investment to satisfy the club's creditors.”

April 2010

From the Guardian:

“As part of a refinancing deal of £237m in loans from RBS it is revealed that the £2.5m weekly penalties imposed on Hicks' and Gillett's Liverpool holding company will amount to an additional £60m if the club is not sold by 6 October”

April 16, 2010

Martin Broughton hired by LFC as Hicks and Gillett ask Broughton to find a buyer for the club. Liverpool FC is once again for sale.

June 3, 2010
Rafa Benitez leaves Liverpool by mutual consent, after the relationship between him and the owners finally becomes totally untenable. Critics point to the poor final league position and disappointing performances in the European and domestic cups.

1 July, 2010
After paying Fulham compensation - that's right, compensation, for his services - Liverpool announce the appointment of former Switzerland boss Roy Hodgson as their 19th manager.

Searching the annals of RAWK reveals a curious mixture of apathy and anger over the appointment at the time:

o   The nefarious mismanagement of the club previously had created a toxic environment in which to work and operate and support
o   The wounds of Benitez’s departure were still raw
o   The fans’ had grown weary over the ownership debacle

So the concept of Hodgson as manager – who had guided Fulham to an underwhelming 12th in the league the previous season – was simply too much to bear.

Now the dust has settled on this particular period of history, we are collectively aghast. Remarkably though, worse was to come in September and early October.

o   With debts and repayments growing, Tom Hicks sought to refinance the £237,000,000 debt crippling the club
o   A finance package is negotiated with the private equity firm Blackstone
o   Blackstone almost immediately pull out of deal leaving the Americans with nowhere to turn
o   RBS place LFC’s debt into its ‘Toxic Assets’ division.

The refinancing deadline was set at October 6th. The Americans were running out of time, and more terrifyingly, so was the club. Were the debts of the club, Gillett and Hicks not put in order by the 6th, RBS would have been legally permitted to place the club into administration. Had that happened, Liverpool would have been by far the highest-profile club to enter administration and the first “big” club since Leeds in 2007.

Whilst the 29th of December later on in the year would prove to be Hodgson’s nadir, this was unquestionably ours. A club crippled through no fault of its own, due to shambolic mismanagement, ignorance and above all, unforgivable greed. Allied to that, we were lumbered with a manager no one wanted who brought the team the sort of form that would have made Fulham weep.

But then on October 6th, the change began as another gang of Americans, this time from Boston, were approved as purchasers of the club. Fears of administration diminished and many of us got very, very drunk that night

However, whilst the long-term financial future of the club was assured from the beginning of October, the future of the club in the Premier League was less certain. Hodgson and his team, lumbered their way through half a season characterised by awful results and awful football. Daniel Agger, who had lost his place in the side to Sotiris Kyrgiakos, managed to capture the mood:

The new owners had promised Hodgson their patience and support, but after a 3-1 away defeat to Blackburn Rovers, their patience could take it no more. Roy Hodgson was to depart his post as Liverpool manager; unlike some sackings, it certainly wasn’t by mutual consent.

Take that moment in time.

Take that moment in time and compare it to today.

Compare those feelings you had then with the feelings you have in the pit of your stomach today and think for a moment about how it could have all been so different.

Brendan Rodgers, with some help from Kenny has transformed the landscape of this club.

His manner, his dedication, his words and his actions are eerily reminiscent of our great managers of the past. Rodgers' personality, perseverence and pride have elevated this club and team from also-rans with a golden past to title contenders in the space of 18 months. He has been, at various stages, father-figure, peacemaker, judge, counsel, friend, manager and coach to the players - everyone of which will have been treated slightly differently by him in order to exact the greatest level of performance.

And much of the credit must go to the owners who put their faith in Rodgers' vision and allowed it to propagate. In the early stages of the manager's tenure, there was none of the knee-jerkery, dummy-spitting or foolhardiness so endemic in modern top-flight football owners. There was patience, and there was grace, allowing Rodgers the space in which to work.

At the start of this season, I read a Alfred Lord Tennyson's "The Foresters, Robin Hood and Maid Marion" (as you do), and I couldn't help but put it in the context of Liverpool at the time:

The bolded verse though, is what struck me so deeply. It seemed like an allegory of the club's renaissance. We entered a football season with the belief that great things may just be possible, and now look where we find ourselves now - welcoming Manchester City to Anfield on a day which will likely decide the destination of the Premier League trophy.

Allied to our improved results on the pitch and style of our football though, there has also been a tectonic shift in the last 2 years in relation to the indefatigable fight for justice by the families and friends of the 96 victims of the Hillsborough disaster. We have seen the publishing of the damning HIP report in September 2012, then that December the High Court quashing the original verdicts of accidental deaths.

In April 2013, one of the shining lights of the campaign for justice, Anne Williams sadly passed away, but her work and the work of hundreds of others continued, finally leading to a brand new inquest, which we pray will bring those affected the peace and closure they have been battling for.

The changes have been quite remarkable and quite overwhelming.

So this weekend, whether you are in the ground, sitting at home or looking over someone’s shoulder in the pub, remember where we were just 24 months ago and where we are now. Feel proud for yourself that you never gave up on the club where others did. Feel proud for those who fought and fought and fought for the 96 and for the club, and feel proud for Rodgers and the players and the staff and bask in this seemingly unending joy they are bringing us. This is unquestionably a transformation verging on the miraculous.

Something special is happening at Liverpool Football Club.

Now these are the kind of posts that should be prefixing the match day threads.

Excellent piece of work mate.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2014, 12:38:01 am »
I looked at the title, opened the thread and thought, Uh oh, here we go, Superfan shite. But I clocked the Soles of the Gazzelles being cleaned off, smiled, read on, all visions of Singapore airlines and trailing banners quashed, read the comments and got a nice content feeling at the end.

Well, said, Sir. Absolute pleasure to read. And I see the same thing as Timbo... Good times. The end of the Storm.

We can't ever forget our shared bad times. We never will. But something special is happening again, and it's time for us all to enjoy it.

I don't go back far as Timbo. I don't remember us in the 2nd division. I remember our first title and FA Cup under Shanks. Funny enough, the Cup was bigger. And cliched as it is, the title did become our bread and butter. We just took them for granted, and thought they'd never stop. Fuck me, i was still a young man the last time we handed it back. But, bad as things got, I never stopped believing we'd get it back. But sadly, for the last few years, I nearly never cared if we ever did.

Of course, I cared for others, especially the kids that have never seen one. But personally, well, I lost something. It just didn't feel the same. Some people can't understand that. I suppose, I didn't meself. But that's how badly the last few years knocked me.

Like I said, some people couldn't understad that. But then they don't know what the club meant to me and how much I did care. But it was never about winning. It was never just about football. That was nice like, and the center of it all. But even as a kid, it was about  being part of something, something more than winning trophies. I didn't really understand that then. It was just about being with all me mates, and being a naughty little fucker having a laugh. But as I got older, and everyone and it's dog turned against us, it was about pride, a way of sticking up two fingers to the lot of them. And when Thatcher went to war against us, it was a way of showing our defiance and fighting back. It wasn't just LFC and football. It was our culture, our city, our people and fuck everyone that attacked us. Yes, Maggie, you horrible bitch, Liverpool was the hardest nut to crack.

I hope this doesn't offend anybody. I don't say it lightly. We all lost people at Hillsborough, personally or emotionally, some both. But that terrible tragedy could only bind us tighter together. But i really don't want to say too much. I very rarely comment on Hillsborough. I have my reasons. The people that matter to me know why. I hope everyone that reads it can understand.

LFC is not just football. And here we are again, back under attack from robbing Tory bastards, good people, refusing to give in and fighting back. And god love the good people that refused to just let it all go and move on. And once again, our club and our football  is something to be proud of, something thrilling and good, something to stick two fingers up about and laugh together, part of something bigger than ourselves. Fucking great, isn't it. And in Brendan, I hope the kids have found their Shankly.

Love it mate.

;D

Offline cowtownred

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2014, 12:42:16 am »
Dan,

now you've got the recognition of Timbo, and Fat Scouser, I consider the beautiful post you made is up there with the best.

Don't worry Timbo and Leo, i come not to patronise.  But if there are 2 better old school Reds out there...

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2014, 01:09:30 am »
Well lads, if anything, it's even worse now. Them bastards are robbing just about everything, and besmirching the whole of the working class as no good robbers and bums. But the good people of the HJC, and all at the club, that wouldn't give up, and wouldn't allow their loved ones names to be blackened, have shown what happens when you refuse to give in and fight back. And the football and what is happening on and off the pitch at the club, well, win the title or not, we've stuck two fingers up to them all.

I'll have to shut up now or I'll start getting all sentimental. I love the way they laugh at us for that. They'll never understand. I'd pity them, but I'd rather stick the two fingers up
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2014, 01:13:34 am »
There is.

It takes something special for me to be dancing round me kitchen for the past five minutes singing Poetry in Motion.
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline redintweed

• Anny Roader
« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2014, 08:37:43 am »
Class OP. And some excellent replies.

It really is easy to forget the mess we were in. With us flying high in the league and all the optomism floating about, we really do need to keep looking forwards and not backwards. Those Hicks and Gillette years were dark times, but the light is well and truly shining at the end of the tunnel. Just need Brendan and the lads to take that giant leap and perform one of the greatest turn arounds in sports history.

If anyone if football deserves to hoist that trophy, its Stevie.

From the brink of extinction to the promised land. Take it away Brendan and co......
I'd rather play for Liverpool Reserves than Everton.

Offline BSBW

• Will take anyone one on to maintain the integrity and traditions of the 70's and 80's Road End
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Scouse Born Wild
« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2014, 09:40:50 am »
Thank you Sprouts.
G'Day Lid - Official Scouse rep of the OCB Down Under.

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #56 on: April 13, 2014, 09:43:59 am »
Remember terry Waite. He spent fours years chained to a radiator somewhere in the middle east. When he finally got released he was so mellow - but in a come-out-of-the-cinema-blinking-into-the-sun kind of way.

Like FS, I go as far back as the 74 cup final. I've had my time in the midday sun. It feels like it's time time for the young 'uns to have their turn. God, I feel like a dad watching over his kids in the holiday swimming pool.

Anyway. I used to love the midday sun. Now, I'd much rather find me some beer, some shade an watch the kids enjoy themselves. 
(Apologies, I don't know what I'm saying but I just wanted to say it, prompted by a great op and comments)

Offline Fat Scouser

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: April 13, 2014, 09:58:13 am »
There is.

It takes something special for me to be dancing round me kitchen for the past five minutes singing Poetry in Motion.
Normally 6 cans of Old Speckled Hen and whiff of a spliff.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #58 on: April 13, 2014, 10:05:17 am »
Normally 6 cans of Old Speckled Hen and whiff of a spliff.

Oi. Yer not too arl and fat for a slapped arse Leo.
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: April 13, 2014, 10:19:37 am »
  And in Brendan, I hope the kids have found their Shankly.
Brilliant post and contribution FS mate.

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: April 13, 2014, 10:35:16 am »
Can only echo what everyone else says, great OP and contributions. Thank you.
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline lostandfound

• Actually, just lost - might be in the wrong forum!
  • Main Stander
  • Do you like Huey Lewis and the News?
« Reply #61 on: April 13, 2014, 11:13:54 am »
Agree with everyone here. Really enjoyable in a bittersweet way.

People have been discussing when was the last game of this importance in the league saying it has been 25 years. I think differently. This game today shapes the future generation in my opinion.

Offline Robbies Girl

• Main Stander
  • The club
« Reply #62 on: April 13, 2014, 11:31:03 am »
Thanks sprouts, I'm calmer now my nervousness has turned to excitement I can enjoy today now you've reminded me who we all are, I needed that.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #63 on: April 13, 2014, 04:30:48 pm »
Just enough energy left to bump this up where it belongs - the top - just like our wonderful club.

;D

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #64 on: April 14, 2014, 05:28:29 pm »
No fuckin way is this languishing down in the depths.  ^^^^^^

;D

Offline VivaElNino

• is all manure tonight
  • Main Stander
  • #MakeUsDream
« Reply #65 on: April 14, 2014, 05:57:49 pm »
What an OP. Emotions running so high right now.

Not sure that this is the best place to post this....but this 5mins of audio gave me a heck of a lump in my throat.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01xccs2

I love you LFC

My world

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #66 on: April 14, 2014, 06:14:53 pm »
Cheque's in the post mate :D

To be fair mate folks should be queuing up to compliment you on such a fine piece but more importantly to share their own thoughts about the fact that you have nailed it so eloquently - that something truly special is indeed happening

:)

Offline mapleleaf56

• Kemlynite
« Reply #67 on: April 14, 2014, 06:55:19 pm »
Excellent post and very well written..Thank you...YNWA

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: April 14, 2014, 07:09:17 pm »
The thing is, as Sprouts says, something really special is taking place with our club - and us - right now. And to be honest it doesn't really require any reference to the scumbags who polluted us back then to appreciate the majesty of what's taking place. 

I’ve been coming to Anfield a hell of a long time and the closest comparison I can make to what’s been going on this season is the season we won promotion when like Hercules Unchained we bust apart the manacles of the second division that had shackled us for eight long years. With our new manager, new team and new footballing philosophy we kicked seven bells out of all the opposition with St John and Hunt our Luis and Daniel and Big Rowdy the defensive rock nobody got around.

In the years following, we may have had better sides than that one. We may have had superior players and gone on to enjoy infinitely more success. But the sheer excitement of that initial early Shankly inspired triumph is what’s resonating with me right now as I see Rodger’s side sweeping all before it in this wonderful unshackled style. If we do go on from here to clinch this league which I’m sure we will then for me, for all the other incredible success the club has had since that sensational promotion season, this season will go down with that 61-62 season as my favourite ever. No question about that.

:)

Top post Timbo. Love reading about Shank's era.
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #69 on: April 14, 2014, 07:14:02 pm »
Good work Mr Brussels!

Offline RainbowFlick

• The Test Ticket Tout. Head of the RAWK Vice Squad.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: April 15, 2014, 09:38:49 am »
Great write-up. What a rollercoaster we've been through.
YNWA.

Offline Kelvinlfc

• Legacy Fan
  • #JFT96
« Reply #71 on: April 15, 2014, 10:13:14 am »
Brilliant post and thanks for taking the time to write it, I remember when we lost to Wolves the day after my birthday. I was incredibly hungover and was due out for another session.. needless to say when the final whistle went I left sober as piss in a big strop and that was just about enough for me.

A week later my wounds were still fresh and we lost to Blackburn on the day of my mates birthday.

How things change! 

Offline northern Monkey

• Kopite
« Reply #72 on: April 15, 2014, 11:03:43 am »
Amazing post!

For any other club those "dark times" under the cowboys would have been the worst times their club had been through.  Today especially, I can look back at those times with no more than a slight shudder even though at the time it was like staring into the abyss.  We have been through much darker.

That is something I find others can't quite comprehend.  It's why I feel our appreciation of the highs is what it is. I don't know if it felt as special to the older guys in the 80's and before. Hillsborough is my most vivid recollection of being a young supporter.  I was too young to really appreciate the previous highs but I will never ever forget those days.  But somehow I feel like coming through what we have as a support makes us more appreciative.

I'd never want to go back to an experience like the cowboys and the the brink of administration and I'd never compare that to a real disaster, but what other big club has younger fans that can say they really supported their club through thick and thin?  Ours can. They can hold their heads up high as real supporters and scoff at any notion of glory hunting. Its why the atmosphere at Anfield cannot be matched anywhere else in this country. It's why I always get the impression our fans from far afield are much more fervent that the fans of other clubs from those same places.

Something special is happening.  I truly believe that.  Not just success.  It's not being bought, it's being earnt.  Earnt with style and panache and as I remember what has happened for us getting here, I'm loving every minute.

Offline Davvo7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • STILL walk a million miles for one of your smiles!
« Reply #73 on: April 15, 2014, 11:23:54 am »
It's threads like this that make RAWK worth every penny!
Boocoo dinky dau

Offline tossedandblown

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: April 15, 2014, 11:59:19 am »
Something special is happening.  I truly believe that.  Not just success.  It's not being bought, it's being earnt.  Earnt with style and panache and as I remember what has happened for us getting here, I'm loving every minute.
well put mate. Summed it up.

Offline Red-juvenated

• Legacy Fan
  • "Normal One"
« Reply #75 on: April 15, 2014, 12:33:51 pm »
Well written OP, and apt heartfelt responses in the current circumstances.

What is happening is surely Special. For the players, for the club, for the fans, for the City, for the campaigners for Justice, for evrybody.

This is a Tranformation! Partake in it.
Doubters to Believers

Offline redmen9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: April 15, 2014, 12:54:21 pm »

Offline rlpolobear9

• Kopite
« Reply #77 on: April 16, 2014, 02:26:24 am »
This season really reminds me of the Red Sox last season, a team that came out of nowhere to shock the world. Don't slate me as I'm a Mets fan, but there really are a lot of similarities especially when you take into account how the squads are built and the money spent compared to their rivals.

Liverpool FC 5 time European champs!!!!! YNWA

Offline Rome-77

• Head case, more like! Wtf is wrong with me?
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: April 16, 2014, 07:05:03 am »
the day the truth came out
a massive weight was lifted,
only now are we ready for the league

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96