Author Topic: Steven George Gerrard of Liverpool and no longer England  (Read 656026 times)

Offline Motty

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Steven George 'James Bond' Gerrard
« Reply #5200 on: April 16, 2014, 12:14:46 am »

Only an observation, but it seems to me that a lot of people have a lot of posts because they don't think before they click that reply button, nor do they bother to try and read the threads properly.

I only have around 350-ish posts over 6years.  Maybe because I tend to read more than type...  I could easily have a couple of thousand by now if I went around asking (random selection from today/yesterday) stupid questions like "any news on Sturridge", "is Hendo banned for 1 or 3 games?", "is stevie safe from the yellow card suspension" or variants thereof.  Have people no ability to find things out for themselves?

I propse a new RAWK rule.  Only posts of longer than one sentence should count in one's post count.  Mine should be about 340-odd.  ;)

Or we could have special RAWK awards for the least number of idiotic posts and queries by any poster...  or even special awards for posters who - I know this is radical - don't spend their entire days arguing the toss on the internet.

RAWK is by far the best LFC fan forum in the world.  Lets keep it that way.  Quality always beats quantity.
Got to agree with that :)

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #5201 on: April 16, 2014, 10:39:41 am »
On my way to work today I was wondering what it would be like to have a prime-era Gerrard playing at the tip of the diamond behind Suarez and Sturridge.  And then I had to go sit down for a while.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline robgomm

• He just can't get enough of Luis Suarez.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5202 on: April 16, 2014, 11:35:20 am »
On my way to work today I was wondering what it would be like to have a prime-era Gerrard playing at the tip of the diamond behind Suarez and Sturridge.  And then I had to go sit down for a while.

With Xabi holding? :D

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #5203 on: April 16, 2014, 12:57:43 pm »

It's a nice thought, but I honestly feel this IS prime era Gerrard.
We are Liverpool!

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5204 on: April 16, 2014, 01:39:04 pm »
Fair enough. But you're just Steve Eastend. He's Steve Gerrard. I know who I'm listening to ;)

Can't argue with that ;)
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline Garlicbread

• Veet lurk brurred.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5205 on: April 16, 2014, 02:44:05 pm »
http://www.liverpoolfc.com/video/collections/home-hillsborough-25-years#17908

Anyone seen this one? Emotional video in all... but when they reach Gerrard, I lost it  :'(

Offline Silverbird

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5206 on: April 16, 2014, 03:11:45 pm »

Only an observation, but it seems to me that a lot of people have a lot of posts because they don't think before they click that reply button, nor do they bother to try and read the threads properly.

I only have around 350-ish posts over 6years.  Maybe because I tend to read more than type...  I could easily have a couple of thousand by now if I went around asking (random selection from today/yesterday) stupid questions like "any news on Sturridge", "is Hendo banned for 1 or 3 games?", "is stevie safe from the yellow card suspension" or variants thereof.  Have people no ability to find things out for themselves?

I propse a new RAWK rule.  Only posts of longer than one sentence should count in one's post count.  Mine should be about 340-odd.  ;)

Or we could have special RAWK awards for the least number of idiotic posts and queries by any poster...  or even special awards for posters who - I know this is radical - don't spend their entire days arguing the toss on the internet.

RAWK is by far the best LFC fan forum in the world.  Lets keep it that way.  Quality always beats quantity.

I know what you are getting at, and agree with the spirit of your post, but I just want to point out that your one-sentence rule is inconsistent with your assertion that quality always beats quantity. One-sentence posts could be quality posts too :)

Offline jc2002

• Main Stander
« Reply #5207 on: April 16, 2014, 08:48:14 pm »
What did Gerrard actually say in that huddle?

I believe it was –

“Gather round chaps. Now remember our objective is fourth so next week against Norwich we defend like Billy-oh – no crossing the halfway line. For the next week we face Chelsea. I hear this Mourinho fellow is a rum cove, full of clever capers like hiding in a hamper, poking an opponent in the eye or inciting death threats against a referee. Who knows what jolly japes he has in store for us?
 Now whose turn is it to be buggered by the creature spawned from the loins of Neville Neville and a cabbage patch doll? I’m told you literally don’t feel a thing – it’s too small. But DO remember to see matron afterwards for one’s unguents and ointments. Enrique Major didn’t and see what happened to him. That’s why his posterior is nicknamed  Krakatoa!” 

Offline Greebo62

• Matchday Project Manager. Amazingly Available! Apply within, ladies.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 96
« Reply #5208 on: April 16, 2014, 08:59:04 pm »
I know what you are getting at, and agree with the spirit of your post, but I just want to point out that your one-sentence rule is inconsistent with your assertion that quality always beats quantity. One-sentence posts could be quality posts too :)

Indeed, however, a one sentence post full of quality is a rare beast indeed.

On topic, Shouldn't we change the thread title to Steven George "This does not fuckin' slip" Gerrard?

Got to admit that goosebumps keep rising every time I think about that huddle...

Believe...

Offline andspecks

• avers would probably help my analysis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5209 on: April 16, 2014, 10:01:35 pm »
I believe it was –

“Gather round chaps. Now remember our objective is fourth so next week against Norwich we defend like Billy-oh – no crossing the halfway line. For the next week we face Chelsea. I hear this Mourinho fellow is a rum cove, full of clever capers like hiding in a hamper, poking an opponent in the eye or inciting death threats against a referee. Who knows what jolly japes he has in store for us?
 Now whose turn is it to be buggered by the creature spawned from the loins of Neville Neville and a cabbage patch doll? I’m told you literally don’t feel a thing – it’s too small. But DO remember to see matron afterwards for one’s unguents and ointments. Enrique Major didn’t and see what happened to him. That’s why his posterior is nicknamed  Krakatoa!” 

:lmao

Offline Motty

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5210 on: April 17, 2014, 12:24:25 am »
I believe it was –

:D:D

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #5211 on: April 17, 2014, 02:52:36 am »
I believe it was –

I can imagine that left more than half of the players in the huddle scratching their heads.

"Steven U mad bro?".
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline Halcyon Lissome

• Scallion Homeys, Miscellany Shoo or Nicholas Mosely?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • “We murdered them 0-0.”
« Reply #5212 on: April 17, 2014, 08:26:15 pm »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2606052/Zinedine-Zidane-says-Gerrard-deserves-win-Premier-League-title-believes-Liverpool-skipper-Scholes-best-midfielders-past-20-years.html

Zidane: Gerrard and Scholes best midfielders of the past 20 years

‘He has had a great career winning many things - but it would be a big shame for him if he was never to win the league with Liverpool,’ said the former France star.

‘For everything that he has given - he deserves a league title.’

He went on: ‘I don't think that is any secret that Real Madrid and Chelsea had big interest in him and that is just the teams the media knew about.

‘He could have played for any team in Europe - but he turned them down. That sort of loyalty should be rewarded with a title.’

‘England have probably produced the two best midfield players of the last 20 years in Steven Gerrard and Paul Scholes,’ he said.

‘There was a point when Gerrard was the best midfield player in the world. It is unusual to get complete midfield players who can do everything, but that is what he was.

‘His legs are not going to be what they were five or six years ago - but his presence and leadership are invaluable for Liverpool.’
★              ★              ★              ★              ★
The best there is, the best there was, the best there ever will be.

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #5213 on: April 17, 2014, 08:31:29 pm »
I believe it was –

:lmao

Offline red68

• Main Stander
  • We had dreams and songs to sing FOAR
« Reply #5214 on: April 18, 2014, 09:41:17 am »
" there is only one captain at liverpool, and that is stevie" - suarez.. how apt

Offline danwarb

• Anny Roader
« Reply #5215 on: April 18, 2014, 06:42:26 pm »
Here's a nice article by Didi Hamman on Gerrard's transition to holding midfielder:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2032900-steven-gerrards-perfection-of-my-old-liverpool-role-underlines-his-greatness

« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 06:44:45 pm by danwarb »

Offline NaivetyinBlack

• Suffers from performative anxiety.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5216 on: April 19, 2014, 09:50:30 am »

Brendan Rodgers believes Steven Gerrard's leadership skills have taken the focus from his outstanding form during Liverpool's title challenge and insisted he would not swap his captain for any playmaker in Europe.

The 33-year-old has been instrumental in Liverpool's surge for a first league title since 1990 having adapted superbly to the holding midfield role he was given by Rodgers in January. Gerrard's influence at Liverpool was demonstrated again following last Sunday's crucial victory over Manchester City when he called his team-mates into a huddle and demanded they "go again" at Norwich City on Sunday.

But the midfielder's influence on the pitch is arguably greater than it has been for several seasons and Rodgers believes Gerrard's tactical and technical ability is overlooked. "I think his form sometimes gets lost a wee bit with Steven because his leadership quality in the team is there for all to see," the Liverpool manager said. "We mustn't forget that he's arguably the best in European football in a controlling role at this moment in time.

"There's not many players who can do what he can do – be one of the best attacking midfield players in Europe and then switch to be arguably the best controlling player. You look at the holding players in European football now at the top teams, I wouldn't swap him for any of them, because of what he can give the team."

Rodgers outlined Gerrard's future role to the Liverpool captain when he first arrived as manager in 2012 and claims the midfielder's versatility elevates him above other playmakers. He explained: "He's a playmaker but he's unique in that he can also defend. I think what he probably doesn't get enough credit for as well is his reading of the game.

"For as long as I knew Steven Gerrard before I came in here, people would ask 'Was he a player that just couldn't fit in a team structure?' He was the number 10 who needed to roam because he was so good, he needed to do that. He could lift the team and carry the team from whatever position he played.

"But the feature now is about the team and he's in a structure he's happy with. He's got some top talents around him that can exploit his qualities and along with his intelligence and reading of the game, his physical condition in the role is very good as well. I could see him playing in there because of those playmaking skills. He can orchestrate the game."

Liverpool's midfield will change at Carrow Road on Sunday when Jordan Henderson starts a three-match suspension for the red card he received against Manchester City. Henderson has been ever-present in the Premier League this season and Rodgers admits the ban is "heartbreaking for him, considering the season he's had".

"He's such an honest guy and he actually got the ball first but we've spoken about it and he understands the reasons why he got sent off, which was really unfortunate. But Jordan will still travel with the team. I've told him he's a vital member of the group and he might not be able to affect the next three games on the field but he's going to be very important for our changing room, our travelling and our hotels because he's very much a part of us.

"We'll lose him on the field but we can't lose his personality off the field as well which is why he'll still travel and be a part of what we're doing."

With the striker Daniel Sturridge doubtful with a slight hamstring strain, Liverpool's squad could be stretched further than it has been for months against Norwich but Rodgers has backed midfield performers such as Joe Allen and Lucas Leiva to compensate.

"The players coming in will be fine," added the manager. "They've been preparing and it will be testament to their professionalism. I've said all along that the hardest part of my job is seeing 21 players being absolutely brilliant for me in training every day but I can only start 11 of them and pick a squad of 18.

"I've said to them all along that the reasons why you stay professional and keep super fit is that your chance will come and however it may come you've got to be ready.

"I think we've seen that already with guys like Lucas who came in against West Ham and looked fit and strong, guys like Joe Allen who has unfortunately been out of the team but when he came in last week he made a contribution. I've got no worries about that."

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/apr/18/brendan-rodgers-steven-gerrard-liverpool

Offline Grand Chilli

• Main Stander
« Reply #5217 on: April 19, 2014, 02:26:56 pm »
I did sometimes wonder over the last few games whether the thread of a ban was helping his game, in that it made him play a bit more "in control" - perhaps better suited to the holding position.

Perhaps he should deliberately clatter someone in the first couple of minutes against Chelsea, to put himself back in the same position :)

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...we had dreams and songs to sing...
« Reply #5218 on: April 19, 2014, 09:28:33 pm »
I want to know what was the moment, the game, when Steven realised it was on, and honestly believed that we could win it.

"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline andspecks

• avers would probably help my analysis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5219 on: April 19, 2014, 09:29:38 pm »
I want to know what was the moment, the game, when Steven realised it was on, and honestly believed that we could win it.

Fulham was when he started to believe I'd say.

Offline Dakota

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5220 on: April 19, 2014, 10:16:43 pm »
Whats stevie G holding with his left hand?  ;D

The Welsh Xabi.
Thinking about crowdfunding a Save The Piano Movers! charitable association.

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5221 on: April 19, 2014, 10:21:59 pm »
Fulham was when he started to believe I'd say.

I think when he scored that header against Everton. The look in his eye as he celebrated. That look on his face was beyond just scoring in the Derby.

I hope if we do win it, we get to know, because I'm curious. Because if we win it, when Steven knew we could do it, would be the moment when it became reality.
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline EmotionalCitrus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5222 on: April 19, 2014, 10:21:59 pm »
Wonder how he's feeling tonight.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #5223 on: April 19, 2014, 10:24:21 pm »
Wonder how he's feeling tonight.
Toasty, all wrapped up in his bed dreaming of league titles. I hope.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Kerant

• Hertha Berlin Supporters Club, Member No. 00001
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #5224 on: April 19, 2014, 11:58:02 pm »
Liverpool's Steven Gerrard desperate to seize his one last shot at immortality with Premier League title

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/10776276/Liverpools-Steven-Gerrard-desperate-to-seize-his-one-last-shot-at-immortality-with-Premier-League-title.html

Exclusive interview As Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard closes in on a long overdue Premier League title, he reveals just how much it would mean to him and the club.

A third of the way into this interview, and Steven Gerrard delivers the remark that might just define everything for Liverpool Football Club.
“You just hang on to that one small glimmer of hope that one day you can have one small chance, one final go before you hang your boots up,” Gerrard says. “And it’s here.”

It is here. Successfully negotiate the remaining four Premier League matches, starting with Sunday’s trip to Norwich City, and the title will return to Anfield after 24 years. It is that pared down; that simple. And yet history cannot be touched. Not yet.

It is a Thursday lunchtime at Melwood, Liverpool’s training ground: Gerrard’s place of work. Before you even enter the complex, you can hear his voice, barking instructions, issuing commands. On the street outside, supporters cluster on car roofs and stepladders to snatch a view of their talisman.

Once practice is over, Gerrard walks briskly straight from the pitch and into one of the small rooms set aside for media interviews. He is in business mode: his words are delivered with candour, determination etched on his face.

The first topic of conversation is obvious: how does he handle the emotions?

“To be honest, it’s the biggest thing on the agenda because I have got to manage them,” Gerrard says. “But they are there – the nerves, the excitement. They are there because we have earned the right to have those kinds of feelings. The challenge for me, which just as important as being on the pitch now, is can I control myself and can I get on with my life for the next four weeks. Can I control it.”

The words are actually delivered as a statement, not a question. Clearly Gerrard believes he can control it but even has been forced to recognise that life is less ordinary on Merseyside these days. As the realisation has hardened that Liverpool can win this title, Gerrard’s behaviour has changed.

After this interview he will get into his car, swing out of the gates at Melwood, now continually swamped by eager, expectant supporters, and head the 15 or so miles north to his home in Formby. There will be no backward glance, no reviews of his recent performances on video. “I go to work, work as hard as I can and get away from it,” Gerrard admits.

But what do people say to him on the streets of Liverpool?

“I don’t go around the city,” he adds, again cutting short the question. “From time to time, I will but I maybe only go into the city centre once a month. It’s because I’m not...I don’t know if 'comfortable’ is the right word, but I get more peace and privacy by staying away from it. I like to finish training and get to where I live in Formby as quickly as I can and relax and chill out and be with my girls [his wife Alex and his three daughters Lilly-Ella, Lexie and Lourdes]. That’s the release, to be away from it.

“That’s not because I don’t like going out in Liverpool. I’m really proud of where I come from and I love this city but I’m sure people will understand when they read this interview that it’s a bit difficult being in my position to jump out of my car and walk through Liverpool One (the city’s shopping centre).”

Normally Gerrard is a voracious devourer of the media. So did he read the comments from Zinedine Zidane last week that he deserved to win the title for “everything he has given” to football?

“You know, more often than not I would see stuff like that, I would keep up with the media and I do read a lot. But recently I have tried to switch off from it and as soon as I come out of Melwood I have tried to get football out of my system.”

I read him Zidane’s quotes in full, including the line that he and Paul Scholes are the two best midfielders of the past 20 years.

“Listen it’s very flattering. He’s my hero, and did things on a football pitch that blew me away. He was an absolute genius so when he gives you flattering comments then it’s nice. But you only get what you deserve when it happens. We deserve to be where we are. I do feel we have been the best team in the league but nothing is achieved yet.”

Nothing is achieved; yet that feels brutal, as something is evidently stirring at the club. Liverpool and Brendan Rodgers have spoken about reaching the top four and qualifying for the Champions League but the response of Gerrard, who deeply admires the manager, is revealing.
“The manager has never said that top four was only ever all we were after,” he states. “The manager has said the priority is to get into the top four but I’m confident that we are better than just being there.”

Not so long ago, Gerrard appeared resigned to never winning the title. In his book, My Liverpool Story, published in 2012, he stated: “It’ll be a miracle if I win the league with Liverpool but I’ll keep fighting.”

How does he feel about those words now? “There have been times when maybe I have given up on it – or been close to giving up on it. When you are finishing seventh or eighth and you see the gap to the top sides, it’s mentally tough. And then, come the end of the season you see the big hitters spending all kinds of money and making their squads even stronger...”

Gerrard’s voice tails away for a moment.

“But when Brendan came in I got a real feeling from him in our first conversation that I had. Not because we was telling me personally what he wanted from me but because I liked his vision for the club. I totally believe in this manager and his plans. I totally believe. I bought into that from the first conversation.

“He’s a phenomenal man for his age [41]. I think he’s going to grow into one of the world’s best managers and I hope he is here long after I am gone. I hope he is here for many, many years because this club is in great hands. Whatever happens now until the end of the season, it’s safe.

“He’s a winner, he’s hungry for success, he does the right things, he treats players well, he doesn’t try and control the football club, or get involved in stuff that has nothing to do with him. He just focuses on getting on the training pitch and coaching the team, improving individuals, improving the team and playing football the right way. That’s what the supporters want here.”

Gerrard knows that better than most. He knows because he has lived and breathed it throughout his life; he sees it in the supporters’ faces and his own. All of which brings us round to his extraordinarily raw reaction at the final whistle last Sunday as Liverpool defeated Manchester City 3-2 in the match of the season.

First came the roar of delight, then the tears, and finally the pep-talk, bellowed into the ears of his team-mates as they formed an impromptu huddle on the field and picked up by a lurking television camera.

“Listen, listen,” Gerrard yelled. “This is gone. We go to Norwich. Exactly the same. We go again.”

It felt like a defining moment – the kind which will soon be immortalised on T-shirts on sale on the Anfield Road – although Gerrard also knows it could end up meaning nothing if things do slip.

“No, I’ve not gone back over it,” he says. “I didn’t know it was going to be that big a subject until I got back into the dressing room and realised what I had done. I didn’t know the cameras were so close and, to be honest, I didn’t want them to pick up on what I said.

“It was off the cuff, it was emotional. But it had been an emotional week. The build-up of how big the game was, what it meant to myself and everyone connected to the club. It’s difficult to put into words how big it is and how big a position it [winning that game] has put us in. I think the huddle and also my interview on Sky was also a bit out of control.”

Emotions were stretched even more tightly as last week was the 25th anniversary of the Hillsborough disaster in which 96 Liverpool supporters lost their lives. The youngest victim was Gerrard’s cousin, Jon-Paul Gilhooley. He was just 10.

“It’s not just the service but also the weeks building up to the service and even more so, more than ever because of the events and how they have unfolded and where we are at the moment with the inquests,” Gerrard explains.

“It is covered around the world but having that personal connection to it as well ... it was just a very, very emotional week. The build-up, coming into training, trying to prepare for the biggest game of the season and also having Hillsborough there.”

The inquests have been reopened, in Warrington, and justice could finally be in sight. “I don’t know what the right word is,” Gerrard admits. “But there are signs. Improvement? Positivity? There have been certain breakthroughs and we feel we are moving forward. Saying that, listening to the main people speaking at the service there are a lot of hurdles to still get over. So we sit tight and we show our support.”
Gerrard will, occasionally, make a detour to drive past the Shankly Gates at Anfield and, next to them, the Liverpool memorial. “Every time I see Jon-Paul’s name cut into the cold marble outside the Shankly Gates, I fill with anger and sadness,” Gerrard wrote in the dedication to his 2007 autobiography. “I have never let anyone know this before but it’s true: I play for Jon-Paul.”

Gerrard admits now that, “I drive past it a lot. But I don’t need to go to the memorial to reflect. I’ve got my own memories: listening to the first part of the game on the radio and then listening for news on Jon-Paul. So I don’t have to go to the memorial or go on to the internet to find Hillsborough. I have to deal with them.”

Working with Steve Peters, the sports psychiatrist, has benefited Gerrard, with the player crediting him as having helped save his career three years ago when he was struggling to recover from a groin avulsion – essentially, where the muscle peels off the bone.

“I’d been to see three, four specialists and they all had different opinions,” Gerrard explains. “I had a huge decision to make and it had a big effect on me mentally – where I was, being out injured, not knowing whether I had a future in the game. It was a low point for sure and I needed that little bit of help mentally to stick in there.

“That’s when the relationship started. I enjoyed my one-on-ones with Steve and I used to go to his house or to the cycling centre in Manchester and I maybe had six to eight sessions. I used to come out feeling more positive and had a lot more understanding as to why I felt low.

“I carried on the relationship because I thought to myself: 'If he can make me feel so much more positive where I am now then he can certainly help me when I am back playing.’ That’s my attitude with anything in football. If I can get the smallest advantage then I will go for it. My advice to players and clubs is to use an expert in a field that is so important in the game – emotions, what goes on in your head, being disciplined – then surely it can only help.”

Rodgers has formalised Peters’ role with Liverpool and he will also travel with England to the World Cup in Brazil this June. Liverpool’s faith in English players – from Daniel Sturridge to Raheem Sterling and Jon Flanagan – has been another uplifting feature of their season and Gerrard concurs with Rodgers’ belief that there is no 'technical deficit’ in this country – just a lack of faith.

“It’s the one frustration the manager has got and we’ve spoken about it,” Gerrard says. “Look, I don’t want to create headlines, but I think he’s right. We do talk ourselves down. But you know what it’s like. It’s a touchy subject when you come to expectations with England and the timing right now going into a World Cup. But Brendan’s belief is that English players are good enough and can be coached in the right way for success.”

For Gerrard, who will be 34 in late May, that has involved a change of role to a more deep-lying 'quarterback’ position in midfield.
“The manager has helped me slot in,” Gerrard says. “But I think the experience of playing right-back, right wing-back, holding midfield for England at times, has given me an education in the game and helped me slot in quicker than people thought I would have. But I am loving the role. I’m loving being on the ball, controlling the tempo and still contributing. That’s all I ever want to do.”

Since the switch, in January, Liverpool have taken 35 points from a possible 39, with 10 league victories in a row going into today’s match. Will they have to make that sequence 14 to win the title? “That’s the plan,” Gerrard says. “We want to go for it and win the four but going back to your first question about managing emotion – that’s what I have to try and do. Manage it. I have to blank out the last three games against Chelsea, Crystal Palace and Newcastle. It would be very stupid of myself and the team to think: 'What a position we are in. We have only got Norwich.’ It would be suicide to go into the game with that mentality.”

The match-day drive to Anfield has been extraordinary in recent weeks, the fans lining the streets, the sense of expectation and desire for this title hanging heavy in the air.

“I love seeing the fans,” Gerrard says. “I love to see smiles on their faces at the moment. I love to see them dreaming. I love to see them believing. I love it; it’s great. It’s something we haven’t had here for a long time. We’ve had it in cup competitions and we’ve given them many good nights and many dreams but this is different because this is the league title.”

Gerrard has fulfilled so many roles at Anfield – a lifelong supporter, player for 665 games, captain and talisman – how does he feel as the club close in on such a special achievement?

“It’s the position I always wanted growing up; trying to break into the first team; trying to become a regular; trying to shift out other players from that position I wanted and it’s a bit similar with England with people saying: 'Now you’ve become the captain of England with all the pressure, how do you handle it?’ But it’s what I love. I love my job.”

Gerrard has one more year left on his contract after this season. Now is not the time to discuss his future but he evidently wants to carry on. “It’s not important at the moment,” Gerrard says. “But the club and myself know where we are relationship-wise. It’s not an issue. They know that and I know that and I am sure we will cross that bridge when we come to it.
“I’m as happy as I have ever been at the moment. I’m skipping into work and I love this manager and the coaching staff and I adore my team-mates.”
Skipping?
“Well I love it and I love being where I am,” Gerrard says. “Looking back I was frustrated and I didn’t think I would be where I am now.
“For us to have not won the league since 1990 is not good enough. A club with this history should have got an awful lot closer – if not actually done it – during those 24 years,

“I’ve got to treat this like it’s the one shot. Just because this league is so strong and there are no guarantees next year.
“I look at Manchester United where they have dominated for so many years, they win the league last year and then have a season where things change.

“And things do change very quickly in football. It would be a huge mistake for me to sit here and say, 'If it doesn’t happen now it might happen next year’.”

Would it be his greatest achievement? “I would like to make that judgment if and when it happens,” Gerrard says. “It is difficult for me to put anything alongside Istanbul [the 2005 Champions League Final]. But this would be a phenomenal achievement.”

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5225 on: April 20, 2014, 12:07:12 am »
what an interview

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #5226 on: April 20, 2014, 12:32:38 am »
Fucking boss Lean on that shoe rack, too. "Lean on something" Picture of the Year.   ;D  The guys best at everything.
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline Ruthless

• Wants to bed Matt Damon
  • Anny Roader
  • So heres to you Jordan Henderson!
« Reply #5227 on: April 20, 2014, 12:53:57 am »
Just read that he has been playing through a pretty bad injury, if it is true (the source is known to spout utter bullshit at times) then its a little bit scary, he has been amazing in the last few weeks and to think he could still improve at 34 is fucking amazing.
25-05-2005 - We won it for the 5th time, Coincidence? I think not. Oh and the goals? timed 54 mins, 56 mins and 59 Mins, Proof of destiny if you've ever asked for it.

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #5228 on: April 20, 2014, 12:55:03 am »
Just read that he has been playing through a pretty bad injury, if it is true (the source is known to spout utter bullshit at times) then its a little bit scary, he has been amazing in the last few weeks and to think he could still improve at 34 is fucking amazing.

What kind of injury mate? And what is the source?

Offline Ruthless

• Wants to bed Matt Damon
  • Anny Roader
  • So heres to you Jordan Henderson!
« Reply #5229 on: April 20, 2014, 12:58:16 am »
What kind of injury mate? And what is the source?
the mirror, and a pretty nasty heel injury apparently link below - probably should have put it in the original post

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/steven-gerrard-heel-injury-liverpool-3434301
25-05-2005 - We won it for the 5th time, Coincidence? I think not. Oh and the goals? timed 54 mins, 56 mins and 59 Mins, Proof of destiny if you've ever asked for it.

Offline TravisBickle

• KnowsVotersAreFickle!
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK n' Roll
« Reply #5230 on: April 20, 2014, 01:11:16 am »
the mirror, and a pretty nasty heel injury apparently link below - probably should have put it in the original post

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/steven-gerrard-heel-injury-liverpool-3434301

Loads of good sources there. Such quality journalism, I wish all articles were as insightful as that.

Stevie is made of fucking steel. 
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea and he conquered the bloody world! And that's what I wanted; for Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline danwarb

• Anny Roader
« Reply #5231 on: April 20, 2014, 01:58:15 am »
“You just hang on to that one small glimmer of hope that one day you can have one small chance, one final go before you hang your boots up,” Gerrard says. “And it’s here.”
I got chills.   

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #5232 on: April 20, 2014, 02:34:00 am »
The respect I have for this man is indescribable.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 03:16:32 am by Fiasco »

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #5233 on: April 20, 2014, 02:56:27 am »
Part touching on Rodgers has a lot of subtext to go with what's clearly a relationship built on mutual admiration.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #5234 on: April 20, 2014, 03:01:44 am »
Wow.

Offline The Infamous_LFC

• Doubting Thommo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5235 on: April 20, 2014, 03:13:04 am »
Stevie I will be crying like a baby when he runs out for the last time. It will be the end of an era I literally grew up with this guy going from a young 20 year old to this man he is today, my hero and the player I always wanted to be in the playground. I'm 24 so I haven't seen League titles won but this would beat Istanbul for me which was the greatest night of my life. Come on Stevie deliver one or two more 'specials' between now and the 11th of May. The most deserved winner thats ever lived.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #5236 on: April 20, 2014, 04:53:49 am »
Why do people think Stevie has one last shot at the title? Ridiculous! He will retire with three titles at least, mark my words.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline random22

• Kopite
« Reply #5237 on: April 20, 2014, 05:03:29 am »
Why do people think Stevie has one last shot at the title? Ridiculous! He will retire with three titles at least, mark my words.

Might be an exaggeration to expect it but three in a row from here on and we get our perch back as Stevie retires then or a few more seasons after that. I have got no issues with that whatsoever. Let that happen.  ;D

Offline Vishwa Atma

• Legacy Fan
  • Money for nothing....
« Reply #5238 on: April 20, 2014, 07:29:05 am »
There is no way Stevie would let complacency come in to play..... He wants this too much, heck our entire squad wants this more then anyone else.... WE GO AGAIN!!!!

Offline kaz1983

• "Bloody Memory Wavers" Currently in debt with RAWK.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well dunno what to say, honest
« Reply #5239 on: April 20, 2014, 07:30:39 am »
If Roger's came when Gerrard was 26 yrs old, what position would BR used him in?

I'm thinking in a 4-3-3, a 26 yr old Gerrard and Coutinho alongside each other as the CM's could be magic ....... with say a circa 2006 Alonso playing deeper?