Author Topic: Jordan Brian Henderson - where does he not fit in?  (Read 507595 times)

Offline Brentieke

• Vote King Hendo. Beaker's panic gif was modelled on his coupon. A seer & visionary - he saw how shite we are.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Henderson - where does he fit in?
« Reply #200 on: September 29, 2013, 08:41:48 pm »
Absolutely atrocious in the final third. Both he and Enrique were embarrassingly bad. Lost count of the amount of times Henderson got the ball in space on the right and cocked things up.

Needs to perform on Saturday- most likely in Central midfield- because we need alot more than his running around alot .
My blog on Corruption in English Football and LFC Analysis.

http://diminbeirut.typepad.com/my-blog/

https://twitter.com/DimmyBad

Offline Felch Aid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #201 on: September 29, 2013, 09:02:35 pm »
Has been poor and the sooner he is away from playing right hand side when playing for the king. Needs to have a really good game in the middle against palace.

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #202 on: September 29, 2013, 09:31:06 pm »
Not on the right that's for sure.

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #203 on: September 29, 2013, 09:37:38 pm »
Slows down play when he got it on the right, and waits to pass it back inside. Wish he could use his pace and try to beat his man. If he does have a future on the right, he needs to improve his 1 v1. It would add so much to his game.
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Offline jhatch

• Main Stander
  • White liquid in a bottle has to be milk.
« Reply #204 on: September 29, 2013, 09:50:14 pm »
I think Hendo gets unfair criticism. Yes he's not best suited on the right but certainly worth a go in the middle. Whether he fits into our system or not, I believe he's at best going box to box and for me has a goal or two in him. Be interesting to see where he fits against Palace. 

Offline GerrardRock2

• Good for upset tummies.....
  • No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • I'm muted, not sure why? Allow in-match threads
« Reply #205 on: September 29, 2013, 09:53:51 pm »
Would Steven Gerrard today at 33 start in any of the teams competing for top 4? No chance in hell.

So he couldn't replace Flamini? Carrick? Jones? Townshand? Lampard? Mikel? Save City, there isn't a side in the "teams competing for top 4" he wouldn't get into. Not to mention, interestingly, WE'RE IN THE TOP FUCKING FOUR ASSHOLE!

More on Topic, Hendo is biding his time until he pairs with Lucas down the center of the park, something tells me Rodgers can't wait for the minute he can Jettison Joe Allen for more productive cover, and true right wingback.

Offline robgomm

• He just can't get enough of Luis Suarez.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: September 29, 2013, 09:59:35 pm »
Felt sorry for him today because it's just patently not his position. Stats say he made four key passes, mind, so something was right. But overall I felt he was vulnerable - and very well covered by Toure - in his defensive duties and uncertain going forward. He's a box to box midfielder in the making, so today he can put down in his experience as having to do something for the team.

Offline riismeister

• Legacy Fan
  • Onwards and upwards
« Reply #207 on: September 29, 2013, 10:05:38 pm »
Not sure yet. It's got to be anywhere or everywhere for me, I'm leaning towards everywhere.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #208 on: September 29, 2013, 10:12:41 pm »
I thought he was very poor on the ball today, seemed very low on confidence. His touch and close control were all over the place, the bit were he conceded a corner after being mildly pressed on the ball in the first half was awful. His crossing was very bad too, I don't know what's happened to this part of his game, he used to be very good at timing his crosses but now he never seems to find the space between the goal and the defenders, and he had a dozen opportunities today. Still I rate the lad but he needs to start being more incisive and positive, as he was progressing very well on this part on the second half of last season but seems to have stalled a little now.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 10:19:46 pm by Lastrador »

Offline Macedonian Red Reborn

• Self-professed wool
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: September 29, 2013, 10:14:03 pm »
Not sure yet. It's got to be anywhere or everywhere for me, I'm leaning towards everywhere.

Exactly.

Henderson is a great utility player, and all top teams have such players.
"If I wanted you to understand, I'd have explained it better" Johan Cruyff

Offline Rojo O Muerto

• Legacy Fan
  • LGTBQIA2S+
« Reply #210 on: September 29, 2013, 10:55:45 pm »
Only want to see him playing on the right if it's a case of needs must.
If you can't support us when we're shartin', don't support us when we're fartin'

Offline diddyfaz-golborne

• Kopite
« Reply #211 on: September 30, 2013, 05:38:09 am »
Anyone who thinks hendo was 'amazing' at Sunderland needs to watch that game again..he was OK at the very best! If his crossing was half decent the game would of been settled well before the 89th minute..to me he seems to rush a bit and has more time than he his aware..bottles the odd challenge (not small is he?) and more importantly needs to chip in with at least 10 goals a season..not having a pop coz he will improve and improve the team too...moses was unlucky to come off coz i think he was great!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 05:40:14 am by diddyfaz-golborne »

Offline rafathegaffa

• Legacy Fan
  • Bang bang Rosie
    • A few songs...
« Reply #212 on: September 30, 2013, 11:37:14 am »

He wasted around 9 or 10 crosses. All his crosses (bar one) seemed to hit the first defender. He was criminally linear.
Definitely better in central midfield, though he still has the fear factor. Needs to grow a pair.
Imagine he had Shelvey's confidence...

Offline Red Emperor

• Kopite
  • Always tries to see the upside
« Reply #213 on: September 30, 2013, 11:42:55 am »
he is also a very willing runner which is very useful and priceless to us

Offline MobileBayRed

• Kopite
« Reply #214 on: September 30, 2013, 11:52:03 am »
Will be interesting against Palace. With Lucas missing the game through suspension, I assume Henderson will slot in next to Gerrard. Rodgers could start Sterling or Aspas out right.

Would like to withhold my judgment on Henderson till he gets some run in his natural position.
just can't confirm that delivery address and consequently gets non stop pelters off PayPal.

Online rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: September 30, 2013, 11:55:20 am »
Exactly.

Henderson is a great utility player, and all top teams have such players.
Yep hes our new Dirk kuyt.. Minus the goals and the good looks ofcourse.
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline Felch Aid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: September 30, 2013, 12:08:08 pm »
I still think he needs some time in the middle and to push Gerrard further up when Coutinhio is out.

He's a utility player which we need against better sides when he presses. I don't think he has the natural skill to play an attacking role as he rarely creates for his team mates or himself.

I felt a bit sorry for him on the right as kolo was mopping up for him defensively and he couldn't do much with the space he got offensively.

If Brendan can keep us progressing I can see him investing in the midfield so there is no certainty for Lucas, Allen or Henderson come the start of next season.

Offline keyo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: September 30, 2013, 12:17:37 pm »
did not see the game, have seen the goals...so only comment would be good run that helped create the space for suarez' third.....one of the things he has done well this season, get forward, and get in the box, continue his runs and not just stop at a certain point

If Brendan can keep us progressing I can see him investing in the midfield so there is no certainty for Lucas, Allen or Henderson come the start of next season.

this should be the case, allen and henderson still have much to prove.....lucas needs competition as i am not convinced he is back to his best yet
add that gerrard will at some point need replacing, and our shape and composition will probably be different accordingly.....there is plenty to play for in the midfield and plenty for rodgers to contemplate
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 12:24:44 pm by keyo »
Joey's ate the frogs legs, made the swiss roll, now he's munchin' gladbach!!

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #218 on: September 30, 2013, 12:28:27 pm »
Yep hes our new Dirk kuyt.. Minus the goals and the good looks ofcourse.

Well that's rubbish then.. We need goals and good looks in out team.

Seriously though he shouldn't be in our 1st team no matter how much of a utility player he is. He needs replacing but currently we don't have better.

Hopefully in Jan we will buy a top quality DM or CM to replace the poor quality in Allen and Henderson leaving debates like this not needed.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #219 on: September 30, 2013, 12:32:44 pm »
The run was excellent at the end. It's what he's best at. Attacking a wide open space. Like everyone else I was hoping that the ball didn't end up at his feet. I suspect he was too. But to give him his due he's perfectly willing to make those lung-busting runs into an empty field in order to provide room for others who can play.

Is it enough to be able to hold down a position in the starting XI? I very much doubt it.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #220 on: September 30, 2013, 12:50:26 pm »
Really can't wrap my head around the criticism Hendo gets on here... he plays out of position, he does the job sure he isn't stellar at it but I have seen worse.

When he plays down the middle he is a box to box midfielder who can finish, his energy is endless it seems and he has passion, still very young also.

I think every team needs a player like him who will just say "Yes Boss" and play where he is told and try his hardest, in these days of the player dictating play you often see them bashing managers for playing them out of position and in the interviews Hendo just says he's getting on with it, fair play, I rate him, almost seems I am alone in doing so.

Offline GlenJohnson2

• Legacy Fan
  • ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
« Reply #221 on: September 30, 2013, 12:51:48 pm »
In the middle.
Manchester United could win fifty titles, but they will always be the Rolling Stones of football. Good, just not quite that band from Liverpool.

You should literally be skinned for such a fucking daft answer :o

Offline Dr Abismo

• Anny Roader
« Reply #222 on: September 30, 2013, 12:52:27 pm »
The run was excellent at the end. It's what he's best at. Attacking a wide open space. Like everyone else I was hoping that the ball didn't end up at his feet. I suspect he was too. But to give him his due he's perfectly willing to make those lung-busting runs into an empty field in order to provide room for others who can play.

Is it enough to be able to hold down a position in the starting XI? I very much doubt it.

That's the point really. He's useful as a guy who can be brought in to "do a job" when one of several first team players are suspended or injured. He wouldn't get into my first choice 11, but we seldom have everyone available. And until we're playing Champions League football (i.e., next season) we aren't going to get a versatile bench warmer much more useful than Henderson. My heart does sink a bit when I see him on the ball, or indeed trying to get a tackle in. But I like the lad's attitude, and he's a kid that I imagine Rodgers likes to have available. He has imrpoved steadily over the last couple of seasons, but no, he's never going to be a Gerrard, an Alonso, a Lucas or a Coutinho. And he's no frigging winger either.

Offline Kelvinlfc

• Legacy Fan
  • #JFT96
« Reply #223 on: September 30, 2013, 01:06:46 pm »
He's a centre mid, time and time again he's being pushed out right to be slated and lose confidence I actually feel sorry for him

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: September 30, 2013, 01:10:04 pm »
Well that's rubbish then.. We need goals and good looks in out team.

Seriously though he shouldn't be in our 1st team no matter how much of a utility player he is. He needs replacing but currently we don't have better.

Hopefully in Jan we will buy a top quality DM or CM to replace the poor quality in Allen and Henderson leaving debates like this not needed.

Why wasn't you saying this when we had Charlie Adam?

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: September 30, 2013, 01:18:02 pm »
He's not the perfect player but he does some things that no one else provides. That lung-busting sprint he made helped create the 3rd goal, no question about it. Without it Suarez doesn't have the gap to score. You can't underestimate the importance of plays like that that. In 2013 very few other of our players have shown the capacity to do that AND track back well. 

EDIT: And he's improved over the last 2 years. If he keeps his great attitude and keeps improving we'll have a heck of a solid supersub on our hands in 2 years.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 01:20:28 pm by soxfan »
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline freddwarf

• Pub bore. See? See? I was right! Gerrard back in C/Mid! Told you all months ago! See? Listen to me! I'm always right! Chose accessorising over a European Final. Gave his wife the trousers.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: September 30, 2013, 01:19:54 pm »
He's a centre mid, time and time again he's being pushed out right to be slated and lose confidence I actually feel sorry for him

Well look he's not good enough out wide or centre mid, he's basically a squad player who Kenny paid well over the odds for. Pure comedy when trying to clean up a S'land attack in the first half and he dribbled it out for a corner.

Disaster down the right hand side going forward. In space about 6 times down the right wing in the second half and created nowt !

I lke his energy and can offer a limited service as a utility player but at the risk of repeating my self the bottom line is...he's not good enough.

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: September 30, 2013, 01:21:32 pm »
Absolutely atrocious in the final third. Both he and Enrique were embarrassingly bad. Lost count of the amount of times Henderson got the ball in space on the right and cocked things up.

Needs to perform on Saturday- most likely in Central midfield- because we need alot more than his running around alot .

I think one of Enrique's qualities is playing the cross from deep - and there were a couple yesterday which were dangerous, and although difficult to control in the tight spaces in a penalty box, when you have players like Suarez and Sturridge on the end of them, you can expect goals. There was an instance in the second half where Suarez had to poke a foot out and guide it passed the keeper. Of course, there was the one against the Mancs where Suarez takes a slightly heavy touch (although the ball's bouncing over Evans, and as I said, they're difficult to control) which was top class.

I think Henderson has those in him as well, there was a video of Gyan's first goal for Sunderland, and Henderson put it on a plate with one of those deep crosses. He didn't do it well yesterday, but I think he has it in him.

I'm a fan of those crosses, because they're also one of Gerrard's forte's of course - so I kind of grew up watching him put them on a plate for the likes of Owen. I think he plays one for Cisse's goal in the FA Cup final as well when we won it in 2006. Such an artistic goal when they're scored - the cross from deep is a thing of beauty in itself but when the striker smashes it on the volley. Very pleasing.

“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline Kelvinlfc

• Legacy Fan
  • #JFT96
« Reply #228 on: September 30, 2013, 01:24:29 pm »
Well look he's not good enough out wide or centre mid, he's basically a squad player who Kenny paid well over the odds for. Pure comedy when trying to clean up a S'land attack in the first half and he dribbled it out for a corner.

Disaster down the right hand side going forward. In space about 6 times down the right wing in the second half and created nowt !

I lke his energy and can offer a limited service as a utility player but at the risk of repeating my self the bottom line is...he's not good enough.

Yeah... England u21 captain centre mid must be wank... I agree he's shit on the right though we could see that after a season there with Kenny

Offline FernandoTourettes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: September 30, 2013, 01:26:54 pm »
Really can't wrap my head around the criticism Hendo gets on here... he plays out of position, he does the job sure he isn't stellar at it but I have seen worse.

When he plays down the middle he is a box to box midfielder who can finish, his energy is endless it seems and he has passion, still very young also.

I think every team needs a player like him who will just say "Yes Boss" and play where he is told and try his hardest, in these days of the player dictating play you often see them bashing managers for playing them out of position and in the interviews Hendo just says he's getting on with it, fair play, I rate him, almost seems I am alone in doing so.

I rate him also. He's a quality player and a great ( perfect ) squad player to have. Would he be in our first 11 had Rodgers made all the signings he had hoped for this summer? Probably not, but he's versatility is his strength and should be embraced by us fans - instead of what seems to be happening in the majority of this thread. Gerrard aside, I couldn't see anyone in our squad that is able ( to a fair level ) play attacking, defensive, right midfield positions and drop back to RB if we're desperate.

Definitely his best position is CM and lets be fair, he's now the only box to box player we have down the middle right now.

Hopefully when Johnson is back in the team and plays on the right, Henderson can drop back into the middle to give Lucas and Gerrard ( who in particular Rodgers to manage the playing time ) a rest.

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
« Reply #230 on: September 30, 2013, 01:29:35 pm »
If we go 4-2-3-1 against palace he should be one of the '2' alongside allen (if fit) or Gerrard. He should have licence to carry the ball between defence and attack rather than playing neat sideways and backwards passes ala Jamie Redknapp. If he can't do this then I'm not sure what he does offer.

Offline TheBazz

• tardzz keepz deleting my poztzzzzzz! Blazzphemy! Blazzpheryou! Blazzphereverybody on the forumzzzzzz!
  • Kopite
  • It's the Bazz!
« Reply #231 on: September 30, 2013, 01:33:40 pm »
With Coutinhio injured, youd of figured this is his time to shine in that nr 10 spot but no.. stick him out wide and watch the fans slate him for not playing amazing in an unnatural position. #whoppers
@KevinHenshaw1 (not the professional wakeboarder).

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: September 30, 2013, 01:37:15 pm »
Why wasn't you saying this when we had Charlie Adam?

Cause Adam has more quality overall but lacks the engine to go with it.

Adam offers different things however Stoke is his level. I would say Villa is Henderson's. We need better. 

Offline Renato

• One Moura One Cup
  • Legacy Fan
  • allez les rouges
« Reply #233 on: September 30, 2013, 01:47:24 pm »

Adam offers different things however Stoke is his level. I would say Villa is Henderson's. We need better.

Nah I reckon Jordan offers more than Adam ever did. He's a competent member of our first team so this is his level, we could do better but he's good enough for the moment

Offline Dr Abismo

• Anny Roader
« Reply #234 on: September 30, 2013, 01:57:12 pm »
Yeah... England u21 captain centre mid must be wank... I agree he's shit on the right though we could see that after a season there with Kenny

Playing for England grown-ups doesn't make you good enough for Liverpool, never mind the U21s, especially the current lot who were humiliated in the recent summer tournament.

Offline woof

• Barking up the wrong tree.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: September 30, 2013, 02:04:12 pm »
He's the 12th man - your utility player who does the shitty jobs. He may not have the talent of Suarez or Sturridge but he can be valuable to the team. Not every team member is going to be a Suarez or Gerrard. We do need the Steve McMahon-type players to compliment the team

Offline ericthered10

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: September 30, 2013, 02:54:04 pm »
He's not the perfect player but he does some things that no one else provides. That lung-busting sprint he made helped create the 3rd goal, no question about it. Without it Suarez doesn't have the gap to score. You can't underestimate the importance of plays like that that. In 2013 very few other of our players have shown the capacity to do that AND track back well. 

EDIT: And he's improved over the last 2 years. If he keeps his great attitude and keeps improving we'll have a heck of a solid supersub on our hands in 2 years.

Absolutely. We talk about needing the midfield getting up and pushing us on, but only Henderson can really do this throughout a game consistently. So necessary for instances like the third.

Offline 10 Yards Offside

• Main Stander
  • we wait
« Reply #237 on: September 30, 2013, 02:56:15 pm »
So he couldn't replace Flamini? Carrick? Jones? Townshand? Lampard? Mikel? Save City, there isn't a side in the "teams competing for top 4" he wouldn't get into. Not to mention, interestingly, WE'RE IN THE TOP FUCKING FOUR ASSHOLE!

More on Topic, Hendo is biding his time until he pairs with Lucas down the center of the park, something tells me Rodgers can't wait for the minute he can Jettison Joe Allen for more productive cover, and true right wingback.

No he would not start ahead of Flamini, Carrick or Mikel.
“What did you think of the penalty?” asked a reporter
“What do you mean?” asked Dalglish.
“The handball,” said the reporter.
“Exactly,” said Dalglish.

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #238 on: September 30, 2013, 02:59:00 pm »
Will get his chance in the centre this weekend (you'd think).

Offline GrkStav

• Has a statuette of Lucas on the bonnet of his car which he polishes lovingly with Lucas Brasso. Glen Johnson's biggest fan. Doesn't have a "fucken clue" where L4 is
  • Legacy Fan
  • Not very good at 'banter'.
« Reply #239 on: September 30, 2013, 03:05:29 pm »

Adam does not have more overall quality, sorry.

He's a limited footballer who had a purple patch and make a good move and payday out of it.

Anyway, Henderson was a bit frustrating as a right wingback, but overall he had a very good game vs Sunderland. He is improving as a player, in some areas slowly, in others by leaps and bounds.
Ludi Circenses!