Author Topic: Jordan Brian Henderson - where does he not fit in?  (Read 507577 times)

Offline Jezzman

• Kopite
  • Above us only sky
Jordan Brian Henderson - where does he not fit in?
« on: September 27, 2013, 07:11:08 am »
I haven't started many threads on here but I have been perplexed with the use of Jordan Henderson this season. One game he is playing centrally, the next on the right or left. I thought he looked like a wing back in some of game midweek. I know he is versatile and I really believe he is going to be some player in a year or two but right now he is being used everywhere and I feel it is damaging both his and our play. Perhaps it is just his curse that he is so versatile....
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 09:03:09 pm by The 5th Benitle »

Offline Mingle

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • I believe...
Re: Henderson - where does he fit in?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 07:16:38 am »
top players get that... look at Gerarrds early England Career... he is heads and shoulder above Lampard so he was the one to make way, so Frank could get his spot as the attacking forward.

I think Hendo is heading a similar way for us... i think he is a great player, but unfortunately, he is a utility man at the moment.

I hope he his attitude stays the same and he is able to nail down a regular midfield place in time
At the end of a storm, Theres a golden sky...Believe in Brendan

Offline Red Genius

• Part of the Neville clan. Voted "Most misnamed RAWKite" 2009-10. Reformed Coprophagiac
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 07:19:58 am »
I haven't started many threads on here but I have been perplexed with the use of Jordan Henderson this season. One game he is playing centrally, the next on the right or left. I thought he looked like a wing back in some of game midweek. I know he is versatile and I really believe he is going to be some player in a year or two but right now he is being used everywhere and I feel it is damaging both his and our play. Perhaps it is just his curse that he is so versatile....

The John O'Shea of our squad.

Realistically if he is going to have longevity with ourselves, he will need to start commanding a position and either be first choice or competiting hard for it otherwise he'll become a jack of all trades and master of none.

His shooting for me is too weak currently to be playing him as any of the more offensive options as it will restrict our potential goal output. I would have him competing for one of the 2 in the axis personally, he'd be a good rotational tool for Gerrard and Lucas at certain points within games with the odd start here and there where required, after all - without opportunity he's not going to acquire the trust to perform that role, but for me that's where he is most comfortable and suits his current attributes best, still feel Allen however is far more comfortable in possession and equally as energetic, better agility and turning circles, ball shielding etc - when on song, so would be first in line, here.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 07:24:26 am by Red Genius »
"I have been privileged and lucky to wear the legendary red shirt. No one can take it away from me. YNWA, I don't have to walk alone because Liverpool FC will always be in my heart."

The Legend - Sami Hyypia

Offline Jezzman

• Kopite
  • Above us only sky
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 07:21:29 am »
top players get that... look at Gerarrds early England Career... he is heads and shoulder above Lampard so he was the one to make way, so Frank could get his spot as the attacking forward.

I think Hendo is heading a similar way for us... i think he is a great player, but unfortunately, he is a utility man at the moment.

I hope he his attitude stays the same and he is able to nail down a regular midfield place in time

I got a mate of mine who is rather close to him. We don't talk much about him but he did mention that he is a model pro and have an amazing attitude. Eat the right stuff, trains both with the team and over the summer break to be as fit as possible. He definitely has the right attitude to succeed and equally important, the technical skills as well. I just can't figure out whether he would be worth more if he was played in a similar role over a run of games.... perhaps/perhaps not...

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 07:30:20 am »
He fits in on the bench. I think he'll be a very useful squad player and he has his merits. He has a great engine and runs all day and his finishing has improved as well but he lacks confidence and the finesse on the ball I would associate with a Liverpool midfielder. I think he is a useful option to bring on when we are up by a couple of goals and the opponents are beginning to chase the game and leaving holes for him to run into which he does quite well and did several times to great effect towards the end of last season. I don't think he is ready or good enough to be a starter for us though. Not in the middle and most certainly not out wide.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline lachesis

• RAWK Scribe
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • МАРКСИСТ
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2013, 08:25:59 am »
Should be in midfield where we need the energy and drive. Right now, for me, that would be at the expense of Gerrard.

Offline Macedonian Red Reborn

• Self-professed wool
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2013, 08:31:27 am »

Henderson is a quality utility player on this LFC squad.
"If I wanted you to understand, I'd have explained it better" Johan Cruyff

Offline fowler9_god

• Kopite
  • And could he play!
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2013, 08:42:25 am »
Yeah, utility player.

Right now because we don't have legs in midfield, he is getting selected. It is to compensate for Gerrard/Lucas partnership. If we have a Masc/Xabi like pairing ever in the future, Henderson for me is redundant. Good option off the bench, will be a very good midfielder in his own right, but don't think he'll ever be THAT good to solidify a midfield position at Liverpool. If we still have high standards of course.
Justice for the 96

Offline LFC when it suits

• Not got a fucking clue. Life is well, a bit of a long time. And that unconditional support thing can be a bit of a drag. Something better may come along. circumscribed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2013, 08:43:53 am »
Should be playing as a CM next to Lucas, no question about it.  Will give us the energy and drive we need to compete there.

Offline johnsmithlfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You may say I'm a Dreamer
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2013, 08:47:38 am »
He "fits in" to Gerrards spot, in the middle of the pitch, next to Lucas.
We need his energy and running and it's where he's most comfortable and it's his best position.

But who is going to drop Gerrard?

I hope we keep Hendo long enough so that he's here when Gerry retires, we'll see I suppose.
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively - Bob Marley

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2013, 08:51:09 am »
Simple.  Swop him And Gerrard around.  Let Gerrard play more advanced.  It may not work, but then again it may well do.  We know Gerrard can play more advanced, but can Henderson play a more disciplined defensive roll with Lucas?  I'd guess he could.

Offline fowler9_god

• Kopite
  • And could he play!
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2013, 08:52:09 am »
Should be playing as a CM next to Lucas, no question about it.  Will give us the energy and drive we need to compete there.

What did you make of his brief cameo at OT?

I thought he didn't know how to control the tempo and we didn't see the drive. I know its a very short duration to judge him in that position, but I think he'll be a good midfielder, but the jury's out if he'll be good enough for Liverpool at that position.
Justice for the 96

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2013, 09:13:47 am »
He's got pace, good acceleration, he's reasonably tidy on the ball, excellent stamina and work rate. No matter what position you play, these are good qualities. Unfortunately he doesn't yet posses any defining qualities that make him outstanding in any one position. He needs to refine his tactical understanding and decision making, his passing accuracy, his first touch and his shooting. If he does then he'll go from being a good man to have in an injury crisis, to a very good player to have at all times.

I don't see him as a wide right player. He's not good enough on his left foot, isn't the best dribbler and doesn't have that quality in the final third. His work rate is somewhat wasted on the right, particularly if you put Kelly on that flank, as he is similar in pace and work rate (when fit!)

I think he'd do well along side Lucas or Allen in a midfield 2, with Gerrard being a bit free of defensive responsibilities to try to link midfield and attack.

Offline Brentieke

• Vote King Hendo. Beaker's panic gif was modelled on his coupon. A seer & visionary - he saw how shite we are.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2013, 09:20:20 am »
Use him in games where it's tight and you need him to run around alot. Like United at home.

In other games, play someone with a shitload more creativity and goal threat. Simple really.
My blog on Corruption in English Football and LFC Analysis.

http://diminbeirut.typepad.com/my-blog/

https://twitter.com/DimmyBad

Offline freddwarf

• Pub bore. See? See? I was right! Gerrard back in C/Mid! Told you all months ago! See? Listen to me! I'm always right! Chose accessorising over a European Final. Gave his wife the trousers.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2013, 09:21:38 am »

We have heard all this " he is going to be some player in a year or two". Well no he isn't. He is what he is, a strong running cover player. Fairly common type of player thru the Prem and Championship. He's mid table player at best.

That's not to say we don't need this type of player but the higher you go in the league you get a bit more from this type of player, mid table you get an energetic running cover player, no great quality. That's what we have in Hendo.

Could be said as Gerrard isn't as mobile as he once was we need the Hendo type even more, to do the running.

But for me Hendo is a decent player but has clear limitations. See it almost every game. Others don't because they are looking at his work rate which is excellent, but at our level you need to offer that bit more.

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2013, 09:30:42 am »
i see him in our midfield trio along with Lucas and Gerrard. Ideally sitting higher up the field, then sittin back alongside Lucas where Gerrard would move up the field. The two interchanging when they see fit...or moving further up together in tandem.

dont see that happening at the moment. With all 3 midfielders static in their positions but maybe one day...

He himself is best used centrally in midfield. I would hope that he eventually plays not as a "regista" or a "trequartista" or whatever the next fancy term is....but just a central midfielder. Who stamps his authority on the game from the middle of the park.
Box to box if you really have to give it a name   ;)
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2013, 09:41:16 am »
He's got pace, good acceleration, he's reasonably tidy on the ball, excellent stamina and work rate. No matter what position you play, these are good qualities.

You got 4 out of 5 qualities right. Unfortunately the one you got wrong - tidiness on the ball - is the most important one. Without it the other 4 cease to count for much. And being honest those 4 qualities are really 2 aren't they?
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline redan

• yellowan pinkan green. purplean orangean blue.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd prefer a beer!!
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2013, 09:41:48 am »
It's so unfortunate he's being played out of position at the moment. I've seen the term 'utility' player branded, Jordan Henderson is not a utility player he is a centre midfield and one of the best English CM's for his age, a former England u21 captain in that position and has shown a can be great in that position but just like in his first season he's being played out of position.

I've seen people be critical of a few of his performances this season but are you surprised? Would Allen or Lucas do a better job at right wing back? Probably not but thats what he is being asked to do, be a CM in a RWB position. He'll put in a shift in every position BR decides to play him in but you will not see the best of him until he's back in the centre.

So the question of where he fits is very simple to me, in the middle.

I really hope we keep the 3-5-2 formation and the team almost picks itself but for me the two CM position do not. Lucas is great at what he does but gets booked practical every game (he's already got 4) and once that happens his performance is diluted and is nowhere near as effective. As for SG, the greatest player to ever play for our club in my opinion (I'm 27 so never really got to see Dalglish apart from videos). Should even he be given a free pass into the CM? No, imo. He should be first choice still as on his day he's still the best CM we've got but if his form drops any lower there needs to be a breaking point eventually when he gets dropped and that's where Henderson can come in. SG is 34 in May the day will come sooner rather than later. That's not being disrepectful its being realistic.

A team like the below is as good as any in the PL 

Mignolet

Toure  Agger Sakho

Johnson                    Enrique/Cissokho

Gerrard/Hendo  Lucas/Allen

Coutinho

Suarez    Sturridge

Offline EmotionalCitrus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2013, 09:52:02 am »
I certainly think he can be a good squad player for us, but I don't think he's good enough to be a starter for a team that has ambitions  of being in the top 4.

Offline Brentieke

• Vote King Hendo. Beaker's panic gif was modelled on his coupon. A seer & visionary - he saw how shite we are.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2013, 09:57:49 am »
Would Henderson start for any of the teams we're competing with for top 4? No chance in hell.

You can make an argument for every single player in our team (Enrique vs Gibbs/Rose for example) but Jordan Henderson would not get a sniff anywhere else.

That's the crux of the matter. If we want top 4, he should be a squad player. Unfortunately we probably dont have a strong enough squad to allow that. Between Henderson and Allen, Henderson or Aspas etc...It's just a massive meh.

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2013, 10:01:36 am »
If Rodgers would finally settle on a system of play then I would hope its Hendo in central midfield, preferably as part of a 3 alongside Lucas and Coutinho/Gerrard.

Offline RooiBefok

• (Crank) Minority Martyr, and Defender & Lover of The 5th Benitle. His most ardent fan. Adores him. No really, I think he's great. The best.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Perservate et Superate
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2013, 10:06:11 am »
Henderson – where does he fit in?

Ideally, as a Central Midfielder, playing for Sunderland.
“The 5th Benitle fell in love with himself eighteen years ago and has remained faithful ever since”

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2013, 10:15:13 am »
Good question.

I noticed in the post-match thread after the Southampton game many people lamenting the fact we were without our only 2 'creative' players in Coutinho and Suarez and this led me to ponder what exactly is Henderson's role in this team. Surely if you are 1 of the 3 in a 4-2-3-1 system then you have to be creative? But Henderson's main attribute appears to be the fact he can run about a lot. So can Mo Farrah but that doesn't mean he should be starting for LFC every week.
 He needs to offer a lot more offensively for me because right now I just see another Jamie Redknapp in the making and that's not a compliment, we need more than safe sideways and backwards passing in the middle of the pitch.

Offline freddwarf

• Pub bore. See? See? I was right! Gerrard back in C/Mid! Told you all months ago! See? Listen to me! I'm always right! Chose accessorising over a European Final. Gave his wife the trousers.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2013, 10:19:14 am »
i see him in our midfield trio along with Lucas and Gerrard. Ideally sitting higher up the field, then sittin back alongside Lucas where Gerrard would move up the field. The two interchanging when they see fit...or moving further up together in tandem.

dont see that happening at the moment. With all 3 midfielders static in their positions but maybe one day...

He himself is best used centrally in midfield. I would hope that he eventually plays not as a "regista" or a "trequartista" or whatever the next fancy term is....but just a central midfielder. Who stamps his authority on the game from the middle of the park.
Box to box if you really have to give it a name   ;)

He will never stamp his authority on a game in the Prem, he might do well from time to time as I say as a running cover player.

All these he'll get better and better stuff is wrong - he is what he is a energetic cover player, no great quality.

Now why has he not got real quality - one main reason and this applies to most of the Hendo types or the likes of Kuyt. And that is lack of real top class BALANCE. It's that essential, elusive quality - balance. You don't become a top front 6 player if you don't have it. You see dozens of Hendo types thru the leagues. They have great stamina, great runners but lack that extra bit of quality. It's down to balance.

These types of players have their uses but a good few of them offer a bit more because they have decent balance. You can clearly see that Hendo does have good attributes but lacks real balance. You can see the way he walks, Kuyt as well. No balance or poor balance.

Offline mactifosi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2013, 10:32:57 am »
I don't think Lucas, Gerrard or Henderson are suited to the formation Rodgers would like to play.

Lucas is not mobile enough and cannot distribute as effectively as needed but he has the discipline to hold.
Gerrard is not very mobile these days but still offers distribution.
Henderson is the most mobile but his distribution is not as good as Gerrards, his defensive work is improving though.

They all have a piece of the jigsaw but the sum of these parts does not complete the picture.

We seem to be completely dependent on Coutinho to bring them into the game.

Offline Brentieke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2013, 10:37:21 am »
When you think we spent 31m on him and Joe Allen and people are moaning about Gerrard...

Offline freddwarf

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2013, 10:46:03 am »
Ok then, quick, well not a hatchet job but a scouts report if you like on Hendo...Lets say when he was 18.

Watched this boy several times. Predominantly right footed, can play accross the midfield, or at right back.Great enthusiasm, great stamina. Strong runner. Good temprement.

Passing: No great crisp passer of the ball, accurate lay off but lacking accuracy slightly over greater distance.

Tackling: Again great enthusiasm, good timing, good strength, difficult to knock off the ball, good upper body strength. Can get slightly excited and lose his head which leads to the odd mistimed tackle.

Goal threat: Supports the attack well at times, no great strike on him or it has not shown thus far. Average in the air, needs to work on that.

Balance & Touch: Herein lies his main problem. heavy set boy, strong upper body but his lack of real balance will hamper his progress. Lack of balance leads to lack of compossure in tight positions. This in turn leads to quick lay offs that could prevent moves from progressing. Feet a tad on the slow side. First touch a bit heavy.

Conclusion: This player needs to work hard on his ball control. But his overall enthusiasm, strength, energy are his main attributes. Doubtful that he will progress to high levels but will always be a player in demand albeit not by top teams.A good solid pro in the making.

Not recommended at this stage of his carrer.

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2013, 10:50:07 am »
Simple.  Swop him And Gerrard around.  Let Gerrard play more advanced.  It may not work, but then again it may well do.  We know Gerrard can play more advanced, but can Henderson play a more disciplined defensive roll with Lucas?  I'd guess he could.

That would be my idea too.

Against United on Wednesday we looked more fast paced and threatening when Gerrard took the initiative and drove the team forward. With Coutinho injured, I think we need to redress the balance and the focus up top.

It's a credit to Henderson's ability that he is finding himself in multiple positions within the team.

Offline bruffell06

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2013, 10:50:54 am »
Would Henderson start for any of the teams we're competing with for top 4? No chance in hell.
You can make an argument for every single player in our team (Enrique vs Gibbs/Rose for example) but Jordan Henderson would not get a sniff anywhere else.

That's the crux of the matter. If we want top 4, he should be a squad player. Unfortunately we probably dont have a strong enough squad to allow that. Between Henderson and Allen, Henderson or Aspas etc...It's just a massive meh.

You could say the same thing about Darren Fletcher & Park Ji Sung for United a few seasons back but they were always in the United team when the big games came along

Offline Brentieke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2013, 10:53:20 am »
You could say the same thing about Darren Fletcher & Park Ji Sung for United a few seasons back but they were always in the United team when the big games came along

Absolutely, and that's what Im arguing about. Play Henderson for the big games, the one when you need him to do the running around getting noticed thing he excels at.

For games where you need to unlock a defence, play a creative player instead. That's what Ferguson did with Park and what Rafa should have done with Kuyt.

Offline bruffell06

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2013, 10:56:14 am »
Absolutely, and that's what Im arguing about. Play Henderson for the big games, the one when you need him to do the running around getting noticed thing he excels at.

For games where you need to unlock a defence, play a creative player instead. That's what Ferguson did with Park and what Rafa should have done with Kuyt.

At this moment though I dont think we can afford to take Hendo out of our line up if we're going to play a Gerrard-Lucas as our 2 deep midfielders unless we try and create very little space between our attack and midfield
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 10:57:51 am by bruffell06 »

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2013, 10:56:29 am »
I'm starting to come around to this way of thinking. Stevie needs more careful handling, he struggles about an hour through almost all of the games. Kid gloves, give Henderson his chance. Gerrard is at a point now where his ability doesn't actually warrant automatic selection and he's a good player to be able to bring from the bench, or for Henderson to step into his space when he begins to wane.

Should be playing centrally. He's got the aggression, the drive, and he's more technically adept than many give him credit for. He's not just someone who runs around a lot.

The argument 'would Henderson start for a top-four team' is an annoying one. 'Team' is the operative words. If he helps to be part of a unit that is greater than the sum of its parts, then why not? Lots of great sides have had players who individually don't stand out. Gareth Barry, James Milner, Joleon Lescott, Darren Fletcher, Johnny Evans, Park Ji Sung, John Obi Mikel etc are some pretty uninspiring names that have played a big part in the success of a team with bigger stars than themselves.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Bergersrightwingviews

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2013, 10:59:06 am »
If Rodgers would finally settle on a system of play then I would hope its Hendo in central midfield, preferably as part of a 3 alongside Lucas and Coutinho/Gerrard.

Yep, maybe with Coutinho moving left so Allen can come in as well against strong opposition.

I think his versatility is really harming Jordan. He needs games in the middle. He is not going to learn how to "control a game" or "set the tempo" from right-back/RM.
Roger Scruton was right about everything.

Offline bruffell06

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2013, 11:01:05 am »
I'm starting to come around to this way of thinking. Stevie needs more careful handling, he struggles about an hour through almost all of the games. Kid gloves, give Henderson his chance. Gerrard is at a point now where his ability doesn't actually warrant automatic selection and he's a good player to be able to bring from the bench, or for Henderson to step into his space when he begins to wane.

Should be playing centrally. He's got the aggression, the drive, and he's more technically adept than many give him credit for. He's not just someone who runs around a lot.

The argument 'would Henderson start for a top-four team' is an annoying one. 'Team' is the operative words. If he helps to be part of a unit that is greater than the sum of its parts, then why not? Lots of great sides have had players who individually don't stand out. Gareth Barry, James Milner, Joleon Lescott, Darren Fletcher, Johnny Evans, Park Ji Sung, John Obi Mikel etc are some pretty uninspiring names that have played a big part in the success of a team with bigger stars than themselves.

Precisely, in the way Chelsea use Lampard not playing him 90 minutes religiously every single week. Or maybe with the apparent low-intensity training he does through the week he has to play the full game to gain fitness and therefore takes him a month or 2 to hit full fitness?

Offline LFC when it suits

• Not got a fucking clue. Life is well, a bit of a long time. And that unconditional support thing can be a bit of a drag. Something better may come along. circumscribed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2013, 11:01:29 am »
What did you make of his brief cameo at OT?

I thought he didn't know how to control the tempo and we didn't see the drive. I know its a very short duration to judge him in that position, but I think he'll be a good midfielder, but the jury's out if he'll be good enough for Liverpool at that position.

You mean the short period of time he played there ALONGSIDE Gerrard? He was ok during that period.  But I am proposing to put him alongside Lucas who is a true DM. Him and Lucas as our CM and DM  would work IMO.

Offline ManchesterBlue

• Hologram fan with digital flag 'full members cup runners up 1986'.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blue Moon, you saw me standing alone
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2013, 11:08:48 am »
I've seen Henderson as possibly the new Dirk Kuyt. A wide-ish mainly attacking midfield player who will run and run, pop up in the area but do some of the dirty work further back.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2013, 11:13:04 am »

And they all played in teams with better players than the one Henderson currently plays for.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2013, 11:15:08 am »
He is a squad player, shouldn't be starting week in week out for a team with top 4 ambitions, when you compare him to players in our rival's midfields he pales significantly in comparison, has a lot of decent qualities but not any he excels at and that is what will stop him from becoming a truly top player.

Offline Risto

• Anny Roader
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2013, 11:17:52 am »
If he keeps his head and keeps working, he will become a useful team player, sort of like Lucas. Confidence is a big thing and this is were guys like Sturridge and Suarez can get the edge as they have the confidence to try things and make things happen. Henderson can go into his shell a bit and get a bit scared to make mistakes at the moment and is too hard on himself when he does, overthinking things and losing focus as a result. There have been signs however, that when he relaxed and full of confidence he can really step up and be a classy player. Doesn't matter what position he plays but centrally involved in the action will get the most of him in a few years when his technical ability is further improved and confidence kicks in.

Offline Kop10

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2013, 11:18:24 am »
Ok then, quick, well not a hatchet job but a scouts report if you like on Hendo...Lets say when he was 18.

Watched this boy several times. Predominantly right footed, can play accross the midfield, or at right back.Great enthusiasm, great stamina. Strong runner. Good temprement.

Passing: No great crisp passer of the ball, accurate lay off but lacking accuracy slightly over greater distance.

Tackling: Again great enthusiasm, good timing, good strength, difficult to knock off the ball, good upper body strength. Can get slightly excited and lose his head which leads to the odd mistimed tackle.

Goal threat: Supports the attack well at times, no great strike on him or it has not shown thus far. Average in the air, needs to work on that.

Balance & Touch: Herein lies his main problem. heavy set boy, strong upper body but his lack of real balance will hamper his progress. Lack of balance leads to lack of compossure in tight positions. This in turn leads to quick lay offs that could prevent moves from progressing. Feet a tad on the slow side. First touch a bit heavy.

Conclusion: This player needs to work hard on his ball control. But his overall enthusiasm, strength, energy are his main attributes. Doubtful that he will progress to high levels but will always be a player in demand albeit not by top teams.A good solid pro in the making.

Not recommended at this stage of his carrer.

This is pretty accurate.
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too. One year we came second." - Bob Paisley