Author Topic: Fernando Torres On His Anfield Exit: A Complete Chapter From Ring of Fire:  (Read 22587 times)

Offline Groundskeeper Willie

• Loves a good Meat Flute! Silent screaming fistpumper. Don't wake the kids! He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty chip! Mattis, den svenska pedanten! Pantless arse-barer not used to withdrawal.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klappa händerna när du är riktigt glad.
strange to not feel any attachment to players whatsoever?...yes it pointless, unrequited and naive, but that's part and parcel of being a fan...and it sure isnt a recent phenomenon...twas ever thus

I'm not saying that there is NO attatchment. I admire and have admired players. I like some players for their style and ability. But I don't get THAT attached to any player. Some seem to develop very personal attachments to certain players, I don't do that. My deep attachment is the club, the team as a single entity. Maybe that's just as "bad". :D
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 03:45:52 pm by Groundskeeper Willie »
Love Ren & Stimpy

Offline Groundskeeper Willie

• Loves a good Meat Flute! Silent screaming fistpumper. Don't wake the kids! He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty chip! Mattis, den svenska pedanten! Pantless arse-barer not used to withdrawal.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klappa händerna när du är riktigt glad.
Gah, it's hard enough to express what you really mean in your own language, let alone another one.
Love Ren & Stimpy

Offline Miltonred

• Does the "M" in Mod stand for morons?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Does the M in Milton stand for Moron?
The club was such a mess at that time, I didn't feel so upset when he left, but more who he left for.

I didn't feel upset because it made sense. We had moved beyond the Benitez era, sadly and mistakenly, and we had a shower of absolute shite managing the club from top to bottom.
The other part that made sense to me was that Nando no longer looked like the player he had been. I actually don't think he would have made any difference to us if he had stayed, and I don't think he would have been the right player to form a nucleus around.  I think his performances bear that out - he has not even been close to the Nando we bought, sadly.

I loved the guy, I loved what he did for us there for a while, hope, joy, pride, everything, but then we used some of the money to get Suarez. Rinse and repeat (and in the end a better player) just thank fuck Luis didn't leave us for the rent boys, or Arsenal.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
I'm not saying that there is NO attatchment. I admire and have admired players. I like some players for their style and ability. But I don't get THAT attached to any player. Some seem to develop very personal attachments to certain players, I don't do that. My deep attachment is the club, the team as a single entity. Maybe that's just as "bad". :D

Think it tends to be foreign players moreso recently, because its players like Nando, Luis, Pepe, Sami, Xabi, Luis G etc. And I guess that's because its unexpected, they weren't bought up to love the club so when they demonstrate the same sort of traits we see in ourselves as fans that resonates massively. That's what we had with Nando, right up until he left.

I don't really get that with anyone at the moment. Dunno if that's because Nando broke my heart into little pieces, or that there's just no-one who really has that presence about them. I'd like it to be the former but I think its the latter.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline stevensr123

• bedwetter
  • Legacy Fan
“I admire the player who gives the example by actions, not just with words. We had Carragher with the words, keeping everyone alive, which is so important. In the dressing room, he was the voice. And then on the pitch, he would support those words with actions.

“Stevie was different and more like me: leading by example. Stevie was always first in training; he could play the ball better than anyone. If he needed to kick someone, he did. When you see both of them working that way, you have to follow. If the main players give everything, you cannot give less than them. They set standards."

Fascinating interview and this little extract says exactly why we have been shite for years. We have missed the big personalities and winners in the team. Thankfully we have Klopp and hopefully that change.
PUSSY cat, PUSSY cat, I love you,  yes I do.......

Offline pathetic

• Legacy Fan
Never loved a player like I loved Torres and it wasn't just because of his quality. Even when Suarez was at his best with us and an all round better player than Torres, I still would have changed him with Torres at his peak in a flash. I totally believe his side of the story and the choice of club is not always entirely up to the player. If he rejected Chelsea and forced a move to a club offering 10 million less (if there were any), I'm sure people would have been complaining about that too. If we had the financial backing during those Rafa years we would have gone on to dominate Europe and the league, I'm sure of it.
« Last Edit: May 7, 2017, 11:44:49 am by budew »

Offline stevieG786

• Prefers bottom.
  • Legacy Fan
  • AWWW YA BEAUTY!!
Great read, I still love you Nando

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
“I admire the player who gives the example by actions, not just with words. We had Carragher with the words, keeping everyone alive, which is so important. In the dressing room, he was the voice. And then on the pitch, he would support those words with actions.

“Stevie was different and more like me: leading by example. Stevie was always first in training; he could play the ball better than anyone. If he needed to kick someone, he did. When you see both of them working that way, you have to follow. If the main players give everything, you cannot give less than them. They set standards."

Fascinating interview and this little extract says exactly why we have been shite for years. We have missed the big personalities and winners in the team. Thankfully we have Klopp and hopefully that change.

Agree with what he said there. And then we had Reina, Mascherano, Alonso,... also key players that showed the way.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline stevieG786

• Prefers bottom.
  • Legacy Fan
  • AWWW YA BEAUTY!!
Before the injuries, Torres was as good as Suarez.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pobbwioAIO8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxrGV0sYFZA

Fuck me, both them highlights are amazing, both Torres and Suarez were unbelievable, I think Suarez slightly takes it for me though.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
Fuck me, both them highlights are amazing, both Torres and Suarez were unbelievable, I think Suarez slightly takes it for me though.

Both top quality indeed. Suarez is the better one if we need to make the call, but either in their LFC prime would immediately improve this team and make us a title challenger.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline exino

• tic tac toe
  • Kopite
  • Youth coach. Total football proponent. JFT96.
I forgave him years ago as I believe we all should. The situation was untenable for him at the club. If anyone still has any lingering resentment or anger they should direct it squarely at those responsible, Gillett and Hicks the cancers.
« Last Edit: May 8, 2017, 03:07:29 pm by exino »
"Football is a simple game, yet it is difficult to play simple football."- Johan Cruyff

Offline Trim0582

• Legacy Fan
A truly great read, to be honest it brought up a lot of happy memories, the bad memories of when he left completely faded for me a long time ago. I will say this, I adored Nando, and watching him play with Stevie was a joy, it was guilt free, uncomplicated pleasure.

I remember that Blackburn goal, I remember it for it's brilliance, I remember it for the hope and belief I had whenever I watched Liverpool play and I remember it for the period of my life when it happened. The Torres interview is full of nostalgia and for me, it slides on like a comfy, warm blanket, a welcome an old friend.

The club wasn't in turmoil, Rafa was building something special and Alonso, Gerrard and Torres were an almost holy trinity. Alonso's vision, Gerrard's power and sheer will, and Torres' irrefutable predatory nature, translated into a weekly spectacular, it was manna from heaven.
By the time Torres departed the world was bleaker, if not bleaker, it had changed, or perhaps maybe I had changed. I am unsure which, but that feeling of watching the 3 of them play together with Torres leading the line, has never been equalled for me. I guess that is the power of nostalgia. Watching the force of nature that was Suarez never quite rivalled it, although it did come perilously close at times, but Liverpool had changed, the world had changed and I had changed. You don't come through the ownership problems we had as a club without some scars, without becoming a little tougher and perhaps a little more jaded and cynical. That is what Torres was and remains for me, he embodied my enjoyment of football before the scars, before the cynicism and before growing up and I still love his memory for that gift.

I hate to compare players but I will dip briefly into the Suarez v Torres debate:

For me Suarez is a shire horse a strong, magnificent, versatile animal that can pull and carry a whole team. Torres is the thoroughbred racehorse, certainly more one dimensional, but their is something majestic about an animal that is perfect in a narrow field. The one thing the racehorse does, it does beautifully.

Honestly, it is Torres for me, I know Suarez is a more rounded player, he is technically more gifted, I know this to be true, but I love a thoroughbred and in my mind Nando will always be the racehorse.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
A truly great read, to be honest it brought up a lot of happy memories, the bad memories of when he left completely faded for me a long time ago. I will say this, I adored Nando, and watching him play with Stevie was a joy, it was guilt free, uncomplicated pleasure.

I remember that Blackburn goal, I remember it for it's brilliance, I remember it for the hope and belief I had whenever I watched Liverpool play and I remember it for the period of my life when it happened. The Torres interview is full of nostalgia and for me, it slides on like a comfy, warm blanket, a welcome an old friend.

The club wasn't in turmoil, Rafa was building something special and Alonso, Gerrard and Torres were an almost holy trinity. Alonso's vision, Gerrard's power and sheer will, and Torres' irrefutable predatory nature, translated into a weekly spectacular, it was manna from heaven.
By the time Torres departed the world was bleaker, if not bleaker, it had changed, or perhaps maybe I had changed. I am unsure which, but that feeling of watching the 3 of them play together with Torres leading the line, has never been equalled for me. I guess that is the power of nostalgia. Watching the force of nature that was Suarez never quite rivalled it, although it did come perilously close at times, but Liverpool had changed, the world had changed and I had changed. You don't come through the ownership problems we had as a club without some scars, without becoming a little tougher and perhaps a little more jaded and cynical. That is what Torres was and remains for me, he embodied my enjoyment of football before the scars, before the cynicism and before growing up and I still love his memory for that gift.

I hate to compare players but I will dip briefly into the Suarez v Torres debate:

For me Suarez is a shire horse a strong, magnificent, versatile animal that can pull and carry a whole team. Torres is the thoroughbred racehorse, certainly more one dimensional, but their is something majestic about an animal that is perfect in a narrow field. The one thing the racehorse does, it does beautifully.

Honestly, it is Torres for me, I know Suarez is a more rounded player, he is technically more gifted, I know this to be true, but I love a thoroughbred and in my mind Nando will always be the racehorse.

That's a brilliant post that, and I liked the bit in bold. It can be related to so much in life. I was also just thinking about whether I prefer Torres to Suarez, oddly enough, just before I came in here and read this. I'm not so sure about it, but your last bit I'd also probably agree with.

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born

Belter that trim. Think it's more of a greyhound vs collie thing meself. :)

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
I love a thoroughbred and in my mind Nando will always be the racehorse.

Neigh he won't.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Trim0582

• Legacy Fan
That's a brilliant post that, and I liked the bit in bold. It can be related to so much in life. I was also just thinking about whether I prefer Torres to Suarez, oddly enough, just before I came in here and read this. I'm not so sure about it, but your last bit I'd also probably agree with.

It's been one of those weeks for me, I've been reflecting and with that, basking in a nostalgic glow, honestly, reading what Nando had to say resonated. He is now the mature, pragmatic adult who realises he maybe chased the wrong dream. A sin I think many of us are guilty of at some point. I can take comfort in the fact my mistakes were not played out in front of millions.

Offline Trim0582

• Legacy Fan
Belter that trim. Think it's more of a greyhound vs collie thing meself. :)

I like that analogy more :D

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Suarez shits over Torres figuratively and literally probably if he had the chance.

Offline Trim0582

• Legacy Fan
Neigh he won't.

Oh, no, you dit'unt!

Hahahahaha :)

Offline Trim0582

• Legacy Fan
Suarez shits over Torres figuratively and literally probably if he had the chance.

No chance, he is technically better at so many things, but he doesn't shit on him and here is the difference for me.

Remember the mazy runs Suarez would go on? Almost falling over the ball, but still turning 5 players inside out, before slotting it home (in his last season and a half anyway, before that the run was capped off by hitting the post), it was amazing to watch, and showcased amazing skill, I still can't begin to comprehend how he does it, but it had the grace of a bulldozer. Don't get me wrong it was still amazing to watch, but Torres in his prime chasing down a ball at full tilt then smashing it in the goal without even looking up, had poise and grace.

Nando played an aesthetically beautiful game of football. I enjoyed the art of his movement and gracefulness of speed.

Football is at many times artistic and I preferred the artfulness of Torres.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 02:40:42 pm by Trim0582 »

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
I agree he was probably the more graceful player, but Torres could be scruffy at times as well. His first touch could be very inconsistent.

I'm genuinely baffled that anyone could think Torres was better than Suarez though to be honest. The entire team had to be built towards getting the best out of Torres, and it made us rather limited and over-reliant on him at times. Whereas you could put Suarez right wing, left wing, second striker, or striker (the latter being his best position) and he'd cause mayhem regardless.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 02:38:13 pm by LallanaInPyjamas »

Offline Trim0582

• Legacy Fan
I agree he was probably the more graceful player, but Torres could be scruffy at times as well. His first touch could be very inconsistent.

I'm genuinely baffled that anyone could think Torres was better than Suarez though to be honest. The entire team had to be built towards getting the best out of Torres, and it made us rather limited and over-reliant on him at times. Whereas you could put Suarez right wing, left wing, second striker, or striker (the latter being his best position) and he'd cause mayhem regardless.

Maybe not better, I have had to concede that Suarez is more skillful in more areas of the pitch and an absolute menace. Perhaps I should change it and simply say I preferred watching Torres in his prime. Illogical perhaps but certainly no more so than screaming at the telly while 11 men I have never met, kick a ball.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 02:52:48 pm by Trim0582 »

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
Maybe not better, I have had to concede that Suarez is more skillful in more areas of the pitch and an absolute menace. Perhaps I should change it and simply say I preferred watching Torres in his prime. Illogical perhaps but certainly no more so than screaming at the telly while 11 men I have never met, kick a ball.

That's fair enough. Have to be honest I think this thread is far too nice to Torres based purely on his version of events. I'll never forgive him for joining them. Had it gone well for him I doubt we'd have seen all this nicey nicey rubbish from either side.

Offline Trim0582

• Legacy Fan
That's fair enough. Have to be honest I think this thread is far too nice to Torres based purely on his version of events. I'll never forgive him for joining them. Had it gone well for him I doubt we'd have seen all this nicey nicey rubbish from either side.

Most likely, his failing affords us the luxury of being magnanimous, but he has always struck me as the kid who loved his football and wanted to be part of a team. Chelsea then (as now), was full of cretins, to a man. Even in his prime I don't think he would have succeeded their. Purely conjecture viewed through rose tinted glasses, but an enjoyable jaunt down memory lane none the less

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...

nonsense....both wonderful footballers with a ciggy paper separating them at their peak......people like to kid themselves that Torres wasnt all that because of how it ended between us....but he really was
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline capt k

• aaaaaaaavemaaaaaaaaan!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • id rather be fishing
but then we used some of the money to get Suarez. .
If my memory serves me right, thats not true, we already lined up Suarez,.  we used the money to buy Andy carrol at the last minute.
JFT 96

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
nonsense....both wonderful footballers with a ciggy paper separating them at their peak......people like to kid themselves that Torres wasnt all that because of how it ended between us....but he really was

And Suarez took it up another level at Barca.  Torres peaked with us.

Offline Trim0582

• Legacy Fan
And Suarez took it up another level at Barca.  Torres peaked with us.

But I don't support Barca, I really couldn't care about how well their players advance. Surely the question was framed in the context of their contribution at Liverpool?  Not who has the highest ceiling since leaving.

Suarez may become the best in the world, he wasn't when he played for us. Although he was outstanding,  as was Torres

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
But I don't support Barca, I really couldn't care about how well their players advance. Surely the question was framed in the context of their contribution at Liverpool?  Not who has the highest ceiling since leaving.

Suarez may become the best in the world, he wasn't when he played for us. Although he was outstanding,  as was Torres

Aye, and Suarez was better.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Trim0582

• Legacy Fan
Aye, and Suarez was better.

I was worried for a moment that your answer would be reductive...