Author Topic: Adam Lallana  (Read 586834 times)

Online exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
Re: Adam Lallana
« Reply #160 on: June 13, 2016, 11:00:03 pm »
The whole goal return discussion always makes me remember a quote from a fairly well known coach who I played under as a teen.........

"I'd rather you score 5 winners in a season, rather than scoring 15 goals in games we don't win".
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #161 on: June 13, 2016, 11:17:56 pm »
Good point

Problem is Pires and henry got 40+ PL gls that year, as did Costa and Hazard and vardy and mahrez

IF we have about 2 players that can get 40+ between them, then we can afford a lallana 'doing his job'

If we don't have 2 prolific players in the 11 (and I don't think we do), then we need everyone chipping in properly

I absolutely agree with all of that, my post was just dismissing the notion that a 4 goal right sided attacker = midtable finish. If injuries are on our side next year (heaven knows we're due a bit of luck with injuries), it's quite feasible that Sturridge will get 20+ whilst Origi, Firmino, Coutinho and Ings could all get double figures.

Lallana should definitely be getting more than 4, but if the qualities he brings to the team (such as intense pressing & workrate, extremely good touch & control, getting the ball from the middle third to the attacking third) are what facilitates the entire team being more effective, then I'm more than happy with only 4 goals.

Offline whiteboots

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #162 on: June 21, 2016, 10:11:45 am »
he has done very well in this tournament. His finishing is open to criticism, as is that of the entire English team at the moment.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #163 on: June 21, 2016, 10:16:55 am »
I love that he's ambidextrous - I love him as a player in fact - but I think he shoots with his left foot too much. The amount of times he drags it wide with that foot because he can't generate the same power as with his right is a bit silly.

If one of his chances had gone in against Russia I think we'd be seeing a player of the tournament contender. But it's definitely in his head now, and in all likelihood has been for a long time given his lack of goals at club level, too. It's understandable - but the truly top players just shrug it off and move onto the next one.

Shouldn't have been subbed so early last night though. He was the only one playing with any sort of control, rather than swinging aimless crosses in.

Offline unusg

• heron
  • Kopite
  • first is first. second is nowhere !!
« Reply #164 on: June 21, 2016, 10:47:30 am »
I love that he's ambidextrous - I love him as a player in fact - but I think he shoots with his left foot too much. The amount of times he drags it wide with that foot because he can't generate the same power as with his right is a bit silly.

You do realise the two best chances he has had so far have both been on his natural right foot? 

Funnily enough in the Russia game when he screwed one wide from the right edge of the box i thought he made the wrong technical decision in that he hit it down using the front of his foot whereas the "Suarez technique" of hitting early with the outside of your right foot would have meant the ball travelling like an inswinger back in towards the far post.

Also agree with the general point his shooting technique is flawed and that he doesnt score enough goals from the positions he takes up. Its almost as though he panics and snatches at the chance rather than slowing down and picking a spot. For someone of his ability and the positions he gets into it really is a poor return,  he should be hitting 10 goals a season.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #165 on: June 21, 2016, 11:24:50 am »
You do realise the two best chances he has had so far have both been on his natural right foot? 

Funnily enough in the Russia game when he screwed one wide from the right edge of the box i thought he made the wrong technical decision in that he hit it down using the front of his foot whereas the "Suarez technique" of hitting early with the outside of your right foot would have meant the ball travelling like an inswinger back in towards the far post.

Also agree with the general point his shooting technique is flawed and that he doesnt score enough goals from the positions he takes up. Its almost as though he panics and snatches at the chance rather than slowing down and picking a spot. For someone of his ability and the positions he gets into it really is a poor return,  he should be hitting 10 goals a season.
His shooting technique is not flawed and is no worse than any of our other attacking players. Last season he had a 52% shot accuracy which is up there with the highest ranked players in the team.

The reason he doesn’t score as many is because he doesn’t shoot as often. He scored 4 goals from 44 shots last season, Coutinho for example, had 8 goals from 111 shots with less accuracy (poor technique?.........). Milner had a similar number of shots as Lallana and scored a similar number of goals.

Looking at his conversion rates, if Lallana were to shoot as often as Coutinho then he should be targeting 10 goals a season. For me, he’s a player who links the midfield to the attack rather than being an outright attacking player so doesn't get into enough attacking positions to shoot. The question on-going is whether what he provides is enough to keep him in the team over another player who may be more of a goal threat.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 02:08:40 pm by Funky_Gibbons »
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: June 21, 2016, 11:25:54 am »

Yeah, and he's done alright with them. He's actually gone for power over placement which is surprising for a player of his ilk.

I'm talking about when he shoots with his left foot from the edge of the box. Snatches is certainly the correct word as he harmlessly daisy-cutters it wide regularly. Certainly can't accuse him of shooting too much as he is a selfless player; but I'd like to see him choose his moments to shoot a bit more wisely.

I think we have to accept he is unlikely to hit 10 goals. He has only done so on one occasion in his four seasons as a Premier League player and he won't have Europe next season to boost his tally.

If he keeps playing well and working hard, which I firmly believe he will, it's not particularly an issue for me. I'd hope we sign a pacey forward like Mané for the right side to provide those numbers. Lallana, in that instance, would be able to excellently deputise for any of Coutinho, Firmino or Mané behind the striker (perhaps even taking Firmino's place).
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 11:27:52 am by bcurtis92 »

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: June 21, 2016, 11:34:26 am »
Had a very good game yesterday from what I saw of it as was flicking back n forth but had to laugh when the commentators said his game could improve even more if he scored more goals....has yet to break his international duck....no shyte commentators. He has to find his scoring boots soon for club n country as no matter what he does, all the graft and nice runs into space etc the boy has to be scoring more goals while occupying one of the 4 attacking berths at club / country.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline whiteboots

• Kopite
« Reply #168 on: June 21, 2016, 02:35:54 pm »
He has to find his scoring boots soon for club n country as no matter what he does, all the graft and nice runs into space etc the boy has to be scoring more goals while occupying one of the 4 attacking berths at club / country.
He has come on in leaps and bounds under Klopp, the shooting will come.

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #169 on: June 21, 2016, 02:43:24 pm »
His shooting technique is not flawed and is no worse than any of our other attacking players. Last season he had a 52% shot accuracy which is up there with the highest ranked players in the team.

The reason he doesn’t score as many is because he doesn’t shoot as often. He scored 4 goals from 44 shots last season, Coutinho for example, had 8 goals from 111 shots with less accuracy (poor technique?.........). Milner had a similar number of shots as Lallana and scored a similar number of goals.

Looking at his conversion rates, if Lallana were to shoot as often as Coutinho then he should be targeting 10 goals a season. For me, he’s a player who links the midfield to the attack rather than being an outright attacking player so doesn't get into enough attacking positions to shoot. The question on-going is whether what he provides is enough to keep him in the team over another player who may be more of a goal threat.

Yeah good post - conversion rates are fascinatingly uniform across professional players and location not technique has more of an influence on conversion rates

Offline MobileBayRed

• Kopite
« Reply #170 on: June 21, 2016, 02:44:15 pm »
At a minimum, he should be a 7 and 7 guy. Theoretically, with his ability 10 and 10 isn't out of the question. He has improved under Klopp, but increasing his goal creation stats will be important this year, especially if we are going to continue playing with one striker and three attacking mids.
just can't confirm that delivery address and consequently gets non stop pelters off PayPal.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: June 21, 2016, 03:03:31 pm »
At a minimum, he should be a 7 and 7 guy. Theoretically, with his ability 10 and 10 isn't out of the question. He has improved under Klopp, but increasing his goal creation stats will be important this year, especially if we are going to continue playing with one striker and three attacking mids.

I totally agree with you as the attacking midfielders / three x 10s should be fulfilling more goal scoring responsibilities if we continue with the one striker policy. Call me old school but the 3 lads are playing in withdrawn striker roles, not attacking midfield slots, akin to the way you saw with Beardsley & Kenny but falling way short of what those legends were doing. Yes Klopp got more out of Lallana & Co than what we were seeing but I will be curious to see what happens this season as the initial new manager boost you see at most clubs might fade a bit. Players may withdraw back into the poor attitude you saw under Brendan which is why there is always a big exodus of staff when the new man comes in, ie you lot just got the previous manager sacked, you wont be around long enough to do your magic here on me.

Lallana has the potential to be a very decent player but the clock is ticking as Klopp will want to stamp his authority on the league over the coming 12 - 18 months. If Adam does not raise his game even more this year then he wont be around for next season.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline Fabulous_aurelio

• You will always find him in the kitchen at parties (most likely alone in a corner with a half-empty glass of Tizer keeping his powder dry...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well Red.
« Reply #172 on: June 21, 2016, 10:56:46 pm »
Oh Lallana is just class. I used to think he was a decent squad player at most, but since Kloppos had his hands on him he has come on leaps & bounds.

He certainly is a contender for the first 11 next season. I think hes been brilliant.
"Salahs in here......"

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: June 21, 2016, 11:40:47 pm »
Stats can be incredibly deceiving... Lallana is top quality and stats don't paint the full picture. He has been England's best player in the Euros so far and his technical qualities are imperious.

Closest thing to Iniesta in world football right now. He will improve tenfold under Klopp. Mark my words... judging by Lallana current performances, if he continues to improve, Barcelona will be in for him to be their 'English Iniesta' when he retires to Qatar like his mate Xavi.

Haha could you make it anymore obvious you're a Manc WUM, really?

Congratulations, you got your mentions on the account, now try and get a life https://twitter.com/RAWK_Meltdown/status/744826461090103296
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 11:43:40 pm by Crosby Wych »
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #174 on: June 21, 2016, 11:43:33 pm »
Just ignore it and it'll get flushed soon enough mate
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: June 21, 2016, 11:46:21 pm »
Just ignore it and it'll get flushed soon enough mate
Is the best advise of the evening :)

Offline ass-95

• Red Cafe plant. RAWK Meltdown click bait.
  • Kemlynite
« Reply #176 on: June 21, 2016, 11:50:33 pm »

Congratulations, you got your mentions on the account, now try and get a life https://twitter.com/RAWK_Meltdown/status/744826461090103296

How am I a WUM? no need for baseless accusations if you can't be bothered to respond with an intelligent argument.

Lallana has been the best player at the Euros and it's hard to disagree with that. That's no mean feat considering the other so called world beaters in the England squad.

Quote from former manager  and 2016 BPL runner up Pochettino:

"Lallana has the skills of an Iniesta, Xavi or Fabregas".

It's no coincidence that he was compared to these playmakers. His playing style in comparison to Iniesta is uncanny. Both superb dribbles with an eye for a pass and good reading of the game. Under Klopp, if he continues to improve, there's no reason Barca wouldn't buy him as a finished article to replace Iniesta with a man with an eerily similar skillset.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 11:57:21 pm by ass-95 »

Offline ass-95

• Kemlynite
« Reply #177 on: June 21, 2016, 11:55:54 pm »
Mods, I'm on a new phone so I'm not sure if I accidentally deleted my post or if someone reported my post... I'll post it again anyway, if Mods deleted it, just remove it again although I have no idea how any of it was abusive or against forum rules at all...

Stats can be incredibly deceiving... Lallana is top quality and stats don't paint the full picture. He has been England's best player in the Euros so far and his technical qualities are imperious.

Closest thing to Iniesta in world football right now. He will improve tenfold under Klopp. Mark my words... judging by Lallana current performances, if he continues to improve, Barcelona will be in for him to be their 'English Iniesta' when he retires to Qatar like his matemail Xavi...

Nothing wrong with that post and I'm willing to have an intelligent discussion with anyone about it...

Offline Mercer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #178 on: June 22, 2016, 06:26:12 am »
Barcelona will be in for him to be their 'English Iniesta' when he retires to Qatar like his matemail Xavi...

What's a "matemail"?

And no, Barcelona won't be in for Lallana when Iniesta retires.

Offline Arrowsmith

• Anny Roader
  • Eee aye addio, we've won the cup!
« Reply #179 on: June 22, 2016, 07:16:35 am »

You mean he can rub Nivea* cream into his face with both hands?  :D

*There are other male skin care regimes.
Wool by birth, Scouse by blood.
JFT97

Offline Red Bird

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: June 22, 2016, 07:39:51 am »
Very good technical player but he needs to score more goals from the opportunities he gets. He could always try and not hit straight at the keeper which may "damage" his accuracy numbers but maybe, like Coutinho, raise his goals.

Offline dogeibbor

• Anny Roader
  • He wants to come
« Reply #181 on: June 22, 2016, 09:24:35 am »
Very good technical player but he needs to score more goals from the opportunities he gets. He could always try and not hit straight at the keeper which may "damage" his accuracy numbers but maybe, like Coutinho, raise his goals.

I think he should be producing more assists, thats what his game is about and what comes natural to him. Don't think he will ever score that much more, his shot isn't good enough (doesn't have either the coolness of a natural finisher or the punch like Couthino has).

Offline dumbo

• Main Stander
« Reply #182 on: June 22, 2016, 10:55:10 am »
I think he should be producing more assists, thats what his game is about and what comes natural to him. Don't think he will ever score that much more, his shot isn't good enough (doesn't have either the coolness of a natural finisher or the punch like Couthino has).

Yes, but the last thing you want is Lallana and Sturridge running on goal... and the sole defender just marks Sturridge.

IMHO if he can improve on his striking *a bit*, then even his assists would improve.

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: June 22, 2016, 11:02:49 am »

He must be gutted he's not caught anyone
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline filthy1980

• tax dodger
  • Kopite
  • conspiracy shite
« Reply #184 on: June 27, 2016, 11:09:19 am »
"Adam La La La na na na na na na na na
Adam La La La na na na na na na na na"

repeat

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #185 on: June 27, 2016, 11:59:05 am »
"Adam La La La na na na na na na na na
Adam La La La na na na na na na na na"

repeat

Lallana, what's his name?

Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #186 on: June 27, 2016, 12:00:23 pm »

Adam.

Offline ass-95

• Kemlynite
« Reply #187 on: June 27, 2016, 05:18:04 pm »
Really hope our lad Adam starts tonight. Am currently watching Spain Italy so will be a good gauge to test my 'English Iniesta' theory after watching both players a few hours apart and comparing exactly how similar they are.

Offline Working Class Hen-Pecked Hero

• Is something to be...Lives at 999 Letsby Avenue.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: June 27, 2016, 05:49:04 pm »
Really hope our lad Adam starts tonight. Am currently watching Spain Italy so will be a good gauge to test my 'English Iniesta' theory after watching both players a few hours apart and comparing exactly how similar they are.

Can't you go and run into a fucking wall or something
I'm telling you, Bowie died and it's all gone to fuck.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #189 on: June 27, 2016, 07:13:25 pm »
He must be gutted he's not caught anyone

Probably the twitter account creator, sad twat.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Matt_Red

• Main Stander
« Reply #190 on: June 27, 2016, 09:57:10 pm »
He must of been a really bad boy to not get any minutes tonight, unless he was injured of course.

Offline JustDan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: June 27, 2016, 10:08:45 pm »
One of England's best players in the previous matches, yet doesn't feature at all tonight.. genius Hodgson.

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #192 on: June 28, 2016, 12:14:14 am »
Too skilful for England.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: June 28, 2016, 12:18:45 am »
Can hold his head high, worked his socks off and is one of the few players who will come back with a bit of respect.

Dwight Yorke can fuck off.

Offline HumanRed

• Main Stander
« Reply #194 on: June 28, 2016, 12:28:57 am »
Not sure why he didn't feature tonight.

Good experience for him to play in a major international tournament. Extra big game experience so it should stand him in good stead in big LFC games in the future.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #195 on: June 28, 2016, 10:25:01 am »
Not sure why he didn't feature tonight.

Good experience for him to play in a major international tournament. Extra big game experience so it should stand him in good stead in big LFC games in the future.

Because ball skill against a packed defence is under-rated when you can bring on Wilshere.

Offline JohnBarnesBigToe

• Legacy Fan
  • We decide when it's over
« Reply #196 on: June 28, 2016, 10:53:43 am »
Because ball skill against a packed defence is under-rated when you can bring on Wilshere.

Good for him to be as far away from that clusterfuck as possible I reckon
"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They are only there to sign the cheques". Bill Shankly

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: June 28, 2016, 01:18:41 pm »
I would say he must have been injured for Wilshere to come on ahead of him, but it's Hodgson.

Madness the only player with any class on the ball and the ability to press didn't start

Offline please stop 2016

• Boys Pen
« Reply #198 on: July 1, 2016, 03:34:25 pm »
I totally agree with you as the attacking midfielders / three x 10s should be fulfilling more goal scoring responsibilities if we continue with the one striker policy. Call me old school but the 3 lads are playing in withdrawn striker roles, not attacking midfield slots, akin to the way you saw with Beardsley & Kenny but falling way short of what those legends were doing. Yes Klopp got more out of Lallana & Co than what we were seeing but I will be curious to see what happens this season as the initial new manager boost you see at most clubs might fade a bit. Players may withdraw back into the poor attitude you saw under Brendan which is why there is always a big exodus of staff when the new man comes in, ie you lot just got the previous manager sacked, you wont be around long enough to do your magic here on me.

Lallana has the potential to be a very decent player but the clock is ticking as Klopp will want to stamp his authority on the league over the coming 12 - 18 months. If Adam does not raise his game even more this year then he wont be around for next season.
I'm calling it now Lallana 2017 rawk player of the year, the klopp effect is kicking in and I'm dareing to dream 😊

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: July 1, 2016, 05:37:56 pm »
Think he loses his starting spot to Mane so 2017 super sub of the year maybe more likely.
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.