Author Topic: 'Vikings' - New Show On The History Channel  (Read 41519 times)

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
Re: 'Vikings' - New Show On The History Channel
« Reply #80 on: December 30, 2016, 10:24:29 am »
That was great. I was in a bit of a sleepy mode prior to it but during the episode's length I came alive. Fuck knows how fast the time passed by despite focusing on one character basically.

Spoiler
As far as Lagatha's lover, there is definitely something fishy about her. Too many close ups without necessarily saying something.

Loved the above mention of "non European looking snakes"  ;D
[close]
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #81 on: December 30, 2016, 10:27:58 am »
Man, what an episode...

Spoiler
Gutted Ragnar is dead, one of my fav characters in a show for a long while, but then again he'd become a shadow of the viking he was in the earlier series. Would have loved to have seen him go out on top, winning a battle but ultimately dying.
[close]

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: December 31, 2016, 01:04:42 am »
Out with the old to let in the new.

Spoiler
I'm not too convinced by the lesbian lover of Lagatha, she looks a bit too glammed up and modern like a 1970-80's Baader Meinhof member or a Krautrock singer, along the lines of 99 luftballons Nena.
I'm also not too sure how long Lagatha is going to be around, it might well be a short reign at Kattegat.
The viper pit scene was also a bit far fetched, some very non European looking snakes in there so unlikely in that period England, but yes I know, it's a fantastical TV series with a faint hold on historical accuracy so I suppose it was ok to suspend disbelief.
And no sign of the planned Mediterranean wanderings of Bjorn, Rollo and Loki yet, I expect the next episode will hopefully fill us in on progress if any on that.
I reckon The Boneless is going to be mean, as in utter ruthless bastard.
[close]

Excellent stuff.

Spoiler
The last two episodes really were one episode broken into two, and all of the focus really had to be the death of Ragnar, so I expect that the following episodes will pick up on Bjorn's plan and Floki. From this point on I think Ivar steal's the show [the actor I mean]. The kid that plays Bjorn doesn't have the same presence on screen yet at least.
[close]

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: December 31, 2016, 01:06:41 am »
Man, what an episode...

Spoiler
Gutted Ragnar is dead, one of my fav characters in a show for a long while, but then again he'd become a shadow of the viking he was in the earlier series. Would have loved to have seen him go out on top, winning a battle but ultimately dying.
[close]

Craig
Spoiler
unfortunately mate that's how he ended up based on what we've been told, however when he died, he was supposedly jelous of Ivar's and Bjorn's success. Then there's also theories that Ragnar never existed, but was a combination of various vikings
[close]

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #84 on: December 31, 2016, 11:21:11 am »
Spoiler
The last two episodes really were one episode broken into two, and all of the focus really had to be the death of Ragnar, so I expect that the following episodes will pick up on Bjorn's plan and Floki. From this point on I think Ivar steal's the show [the actor I mean]. The kid that plays Bjorn doesn't have the same presence on screen yet at least.
[close]

Those last two episodes have been magnificent - even watched on this week by week basis as distinct from one entire watch. For me they rank alongside any telly you care to name. The entire show has been unmissable from the start but I think it was elevated to a new level this past week or so.

Spoiler

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: January 1, 2017, 12:24:12 am »
Those last two episodes have been magnificent - even watched on this week by week basis as distinct from one entire watch. For me they rank alongside any telly you care to name. The entire show has been unmissable from the start but I think it was elevated to a new level this past week or so.

Spoiler

I agree with that Timbo mate, it was brilliant, one of the best I've seen on tv. fimmel does a great job portraying him[ragnar], I have not seen any of his work outside of his show, but I loved his performances through out. You can see how he's evolved as an actor through out the series.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: January 5, 2017, 04:02:01 am »
As expected things are progressing!

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #87 on: January 5, 2017, 11:31:03 pm »
As expected things are progressing!

Spoiler
nowt down for Isis with all those mad Norsies on the loose!!
[close]

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: January 7, 2017, 02:24:15 pm »
Posted the following in Dave's TV thread but though id re-post in here for you Vikings fans. Will be giving Vikings a go myself in the future. Sounds like a good series going by the reactions and comments on here.

A similar program is running on BBC2 at the mo and its pretty good.

Started watching the historical drama 'The Last Kingdom' on BBC2 last night. Watched the first 2 episodes and I'm hooked. Its fucking ace.

Its an 8 part adaptation of Bernard Cornwell's novel series 'Saxon Stories' telling the story of the Viking invasions and how the Anglo-Saxons tried to deal with them during the 9th Century.

The story tells of a young boy who after witnessing his unloving father (A Saxon Lord in Northumbria) slain in battle, is then adopted by a Viking warlord.  He is loved by his new father and grows up a happy Dane.  Following a series of events that I won't spoil for you,  he then becomes a man caught between the 2 warring factions and as such his loyalty is constantly being tested by both sides.

Its been billed as a sort of GoT and Vikings hybrid.  But I've never watched 'Vikings' so wouldn't know. 

It's got everything as you'd expect from a BBC production.  Superb Acting, Interesting characters, quirky dialogue, cool story with lots of accurate historical references.  But don't worry! there is also plenty of violence and blood curdling scenes. Hell, there's even a few sex scenes thrown in for good measure.

Its available on demand and catch-up and I really do recommend it if you like this sort of thing.  Gonna watch the next two episodes tonight. Can't wait

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: January 7, 2017, 02:26:09 pm »
Posted the following in Dave's TV thread but though id re-post in here for you Vikings fans. Will be giving Vikings a go myself in the future. Sounds like a good series going by the reactions and comments on here.

A similar program is running on BBC2 at the mo and its pretty good.

Started watching the historical drama 'The Last Kingdom' on BBC2 last night. Watched the first 2 episodes and I'm hooked. Its fucking ace.

Its an 8 part adaptation of Bernard Cornwell's novel series 'Saxon Stories' telling the story of the Viking invasions and how the Anglo-Saxons tried to deal with them during the 9th Century.

The story tells of a young boy who after witnessing his unloving father (A Saxon Lord in Northumbria) slain in battle, is then adopted by a Viking warlord.  He is loved by his new father and grows up a happy Dane.  Following a series of events that I won't spoil for you,  he then becomes a man caught between the 2 warring factions and as such his loyalty is constantly being tested by both sides.

Its been billed as a sort of GoT and Vikings hybrid.  But I've never watched 'Vikings' so wouldn't know. 

It's got everything as you'd expect from a BBC production.  Superb Acting, Interesting characters, quirky dialogue, cool story with lots of accurate historical references.  But don't worry! there is also plenty of violence and blood curdling scenes. Hell, there's even a few sex scenes thrown in for good measure.

Its available on demand and catch-up and I really do recommend it if you like this sort of thing.  Gonna watch the next two episodes tonight. Can't wait

Cheers for that mate. You will like Vikings, binge watch it, you won't regret it

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: January 9, 2017, 03:02:17 pm »
Cheers for that mate. You will like Vikings, binge watch it, you won't regret it

I'm on it mate. Watching episode 4 of Last Kingdom tonight then will start on Vikings after that.

The actor who plays Alfred the Great is fucking ace in Last Kingdom.  If his portrayal is accurate then Alfred the Great seemed like a formidable and amazing character.  A perfect example of using brains over brawn.

Sorry to hijack the thread with my Last Kingdom ramblings but if your up to date with Vikings it may quench your thirst for Viking and Saxon skullduggery :)

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #91 on: January 9, 2017, 03:04:25 pm »

Yeah it's currently on a rerun mate as it was first aired sometime last year, possibly end of 2015. Watched it then and loved it, looking forward to the next series which I imagine is due sometime in the first half of this year.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: January 10, 2017, 02:52:01 am »
I'm on it mate. Watching episode 4 of Last Kingdom tonight then will start on Vikings after that.

The actor who plays Alfred the Great is fucking ace in Last Kingdom.  If his portrayal is accurate then Alfred the Great seemed like a formidable and amazing character.  A perfect example of using brains over brawn.

Sorry to hijack the thread with my Last Kingdom ramblings but if your up to date with Vikings it may quench your thirst for Viking and Saxon skullduggery :)

I'm going to have to find it online somehwere.

Offline pezzzer

• Kopite
  • Club first country second
« Reply #93 on: January 11, 2017, 02:46:30 pm »
Netflix have got it if that's any help mate.
metallic on psn, cod4 buddies welcome

Offline mgs88

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #94 on: January 12, 2017, 08:57:03 am »
I'm loving the new episodes we are getting just now.  I thought the first half of this season was a bit poor by the shows usual standards but it has really picked up again since it came back.  I was sceptical on how the show would be with out Ragnar but with Ivar, Ubbe & Bjorn I feel they have some characters to help the show go on.  I don't think the other two sons have much longer left in this world though.

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #95 on: January 12, 2017, 09:52:32 am »
I'm loving the new episodes we are getting just now.  I thought the first half of this season was a bit poor by the shows usual standards but it has really picked up again since it came back.  I was sceptical on how the show would be with out Ragnar but with Ivar, Ubbe & Bjorn I feel they have some characters to help the show go on.  I don't think the other two sons have much longer left in this world though.
Loads of time left in the world. The battles of Wessex are yet to happen. Ivar plays a role in the setting up of a major city in what was then Northumbria. That is dependent upon the History Channel I suppose, but history tells us they have stories to tell.
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline mgs88

• Main Stander
« Reply #96 on: January 12, 2017, 10:03:23 am »
Loads of time left in the world. The battles of Wessex are yet to happen. Ivar plays a role in the setting up of a major city in what was then Northumbria. That is dependent upon the History Channel I suppose, but history tells us they have stories to tell.

Yeah I think they will survive the rest of the season but I just feel that the son that went with Bjorn was shown to be pretty incompetent.  I could maybe see the History channel condensing some things down next season because I feel like jumping between 5 brothers & story lines could be a bit much. 

I don't know too much about history of the sons of Ragnar so could be completely wrong and all of them have their stories to tell.

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #97 on: January 12, 2017, 03:13:10 pm »
Yeah I think they will survive the rest of the season but I just feel that the son that went with Bjorn was shown to be pretty incompetent.  I could maybe see the History channel condensing some things down next season because I feel like jumping between 5 brothers & story lines could be a bit much. 

I don't know too much about history of the sons of Ragnar so could be completely wrong and all of them have their stories to tell.
I must admit my memory of the history we did back then is over 40 years old...I might have forgotten and  misremembered quite a bit since then. ;D

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline mgs88

• Main Stander
« Reply #98 on: January 13, 2017, 03:42:15 pm »
I must admit my memory of the history we did back then is over 40 years old...I might have forgotten and  misremembered quite a bit since then. ;D

Same here.  I did a class project on the vikings back in primary school (So about 20 years ago for me) but can't really remember much about it.  Fairly sure we just looked at the gods & how people lived at the time. 

It looks like season 5 starts in March so we shouldn't have too long to see where this all goes after the end of this season.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: January 19, 2017, 04:21:18 am »
Was expecting much more in this episode but it could be a budget thing.

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #100 on: January 20, 2017, 08:48:43 am »
Was expecting much more in this episode but it could be a budget thing.

At least we're not back to season 1/2's "epic battle between 20 guys in a quarry, all pushing their shields into each other for 5 minutes".

"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #101 on: January 20, 2017, 11:33:57 am »
Wish Floki stopped doing that fucking silly thing with his right hand.  ;D :P

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: January 20, 2017, 11:15:17 pm »
At least we're not back to season 1/2's "epic battle between 20 guys in a quarry, all pushing their shields into each other for 5 minutes".

Based on the preview for the next episode it seems they've invested more into that than this previous one. Things are picking up regardless.

Offline realtarragona

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: January 21, 2017, 01:01:03 am »
Think next week's episode is going to be great. Can't wait.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: January 26, 2017, 04:55:55 am »
Very good episode, building on Ivar

Offline Giovanni

• C'mon Chelsea!!! Stood on the Spyin Kop, the tricky bitch. Look out!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: January 27, 2017, 12:30:12 pm »
thats more like it.
cyas

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #106 on: January 27, 2017, 12:33:36 pm »
Really enjoyed that episode, especially given I thought the week's before was a little short of action given it included the battle for revenge on Ragnar's actual killer.

Hoping this is building up to even more action next week.

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #107 on: January 27, 2017, 04:24:52 pm »
Is next weeks the last in the season?

Think Vikings is hugely underrated, if not completely ignored, by the general public. Great show, it'd be worth watching for Lagertha alone.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #108 on: January 28, 2017, 01:20:34 pm »
Nah. It's a decent to good show at times that its ceiling is clear imo.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: January 28, 2017, 01:47:28 pm »
Is next weeks the last in the season?

Think Vikings is hugely underrated, if not completely ignored, by the general public. Great show, it'd be worth watching for Lagertha alone.

Yes season finale mate.

Online Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: January 28, 2017, 10:01:24 pm »
Just recently got caught up with this, the second part of season 4 has been fantastic television. I think Ivar could be brilliant for it too as I like characters with some tactical nous.

If he kills Lagertha though...

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #111 on: January 30, 2017, 09:08:04 pm »
Major new character introduced this week....

Online Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: February 2, 2017, 11:24:00 pm »
Enjoyed that latest episode.

Spoiler
The battle action at the start was superb! Just a shame it ended so quickly.

Not sure what the repercussions of Ivar killing his brother will be but I was a bit gutted, I quite liked Siggi even though it seemed obvious he was going to die.

I wonder if we'll see much of Bjorn or the other brothers next season, seems like it's set up for Ivar.
[close]

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: February 3, 2017, 02:30:11 am »
Enjoyed that latest episode.

Spoiler
The battle action at the start was superb! Just a shame it ended so quickly.

Not sure what the repercussions of Ivar killing his brother will be but I was a bit gutted, I quite liked Siggi even though it seemed obvious he was going to die.

I wonder if we'll see much of Bjorn or the other brothers next season, seems like it's set up for Ivar.
[close]

I expect that we will see much of both Bjorn has a history behind him as does Ivar.

Good end to the season.

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #114 on: February 3, 2017, 07:22:49 am »
Spoiler
Not saying I'm glad about what happened, but I always felt that the actor playing Sigurd never really got the accent right (always sounded slightly Irish to me), and looked a bit like Robert Webb playing a parody Elf.
[close]
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Online Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #115 on: February 3, 2017, 05:07:15 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/rMZ8Xy_N5Ao" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/rMZ8Xy_N5Ao</a>
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Online Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: February 3, 2017, 06:37:35 pm »
I expect that we will see much of both Bjorn has a history behind him as does Ivar.

Good end to the season.

Ah fair enough, hopefully they don't end up location hopping too much.

One question:

Spoiler
What happened to Torvi in the end? I thought she died in the penultimate episode but then she appeared in the finale.
[close]

Offline luckyluke

• A proponent of intercourse during accelerated perambulation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super bonanza extravaganza
« Reply #117 on: February 3, 2017, 08:31:24 pm »

One question:

Spoiler
What happened to Torvi in the end? I thought she died in the penultimate episode but then she appeared in the finale.
[close]
Spoiler
Really? I don't remember her. But I think she was still blinking when we last saw her with an arrow in her chest, so she might have survived.
[close]

Online Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: February 3, 2017, 08:57:18 pm »
Spoiler
Really? I don't remember her. But I think she was still blinking when we last saw her with an arrow in her chest, so she might have survived.
[close]

Spoiler
She was sat next to Lagethera and Astrid in the finale and she's also in the season 5 promo, it was strange how they glossed over her appearing there.
[close]

Season 5 teaser spoiler

Spoiler
Did anyone else spot a vertical Ivar during the promo?

[close]

Offline Giovanni

• C'mon Chelsea!!! Stood on the Spyin Kop, the tricky bitch. Look out!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: February 3, 2017, 11:11:59 pm »

One question:

Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
yeah that confused me too. they made quite a big deal about zooming in on her with an arrow in her chest on the penultimate episode, and then next episode she's right as rain.

Edit: just googled it and apparently she can be seen being healed whilst lagertha tortures the bastard
[close]
« Last Edit: February 3, 2017, 11:20:38 pm by Giovanni »
cyas