Author Topic: Great Liverpool Moments Part 3: Yossi wins Number 19  (Read 17519 times)

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
Re: Great Liverpool Moments Part 3: Yossi wins Number 19
« Reply #160 on: March 10, 2012, 12:05:25 am »
Everytime I try to type something, all I do is sigh.

I understand this and feel pretty similar, I remember the season vividly, I had that cold play song on repeat all the time on the train, dreaming that we were on our way to a league title win, never been so deflated after Macheda's goals and the Tottenham collapse. But it's worth talking about, it's worth thinking about, because I really hope one day we will do it in my lifetime at least, and I don't even think I'll celebrate the final whistle when we do, I'll just break down like an emotional wreck in joy!
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline El Campeador

• Capital of Culture's Campaign Manager...Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The shupporters create chances, for sure, djes
« Reply #161 on: March 10, 2012, 12:25:37 am »
Ah, Yossi. Thanks Brentie, I think.

Me and Mr and Mrs El Campeador were watching that game in a bar on the Banks of the River Lee in the People's Republic of Cork and we just about exploded when Yossi got that goal.

A memory I will take to my grave. What a fantastic day.

There were only two seatings that night, and the maitre d' was itching to seat us, but we were having no part of it. Standing at the bar, our table ready, with the pressure mounting, I remember a feeling of overwhelming confidence bordering on the cocky, bothered only by two things - her continuous interruptions and the fact that your coat had fallen off the chair and was on the bar floor.

She must have bothered us three or four times. Each time she tried to seat us, we blamed Mrs Corkboy's tardiness for not being ready to take our seat. Then we saw her approaching again. I was getting ready to tell her to fuck off and wait 2 minutes when

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/NFsz446Yp80?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;rel=0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/NFsz446Yp80?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;rel=0</a>

You picked up your coat, and I said - "We're ready to eat."

Offline King_doggerel

• "What the fuck is a baldrick?"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #162 on: March 10, 2012, 01:12:27 am »
Has any one got the clip of the 2 one-two's between gerrard and torres, before torres hit the post in the first half? beautiful football that was.

Offline bigbonedrawky

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #163 on: March 10, 2012, 01:20:41 am »
Enjoyed reading that OP memories of that season may be like "picking at a scab" but that team is the bench-mark we should be aiming for in the coming years.
Ultimately our failure to win anything came down to a whole lot of reasons which have been discussed but i reckon we had the best team in Europe but not the best squad :(

Now dont get me wrong i'm not trying to hang the blame on anyone but when i read this in the OP

"Despite drawing a few games and dropping silly points at home, we entered 2009 top of the league after a jaw dropping 5-1 demolition job of Newcastle at St James Park where Steven Gerrard, in particular, was out of this world.
But then something went wrong."

Now for me the words Manc DJ sprung to mind so i'm wondering if it influenced our season ?
I think it influenced the timing, if not the content of "Rafa's Facts" speech, which according to those who viewed it as "Rafa's rant" lost us the Prem.
So bearing in mind we'd of been fuck all without Gerrard and i dont blame him for anything because sh*t happens does anyone think it had any impact on the season ?

Or is this a old RAWK scab that i'm best not picking at ?           

Offline King_doggerel

• "What the fuck is a baldrick?"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #164 on: March 10, 2012, 01:36:54 am »

I agree.

I always try to imagine what a title-winning season DVD would look like (in the modern era - I saw plenty of real ones 'in the flesh' from 79 onwards - in case any redcafe twats thought they might have a chuckle at that last line).  It would surely have to be glorious?  I didn't get that sense in the 2008-09 campaign.  I remember the shambles that surrounded the Robbie Keane signing and sale.  I remember Rafa being out ill and Sammy Lee not going for the kill at the Emirates when Arsenal were down to 10 men.  I remember all the draws at home.  I remember Rafa's ill-timed rant...

Stopped reading from there mate.

Offline kapil08

• Kopite
« Reply #165 on: March 10, 2012, 06:19:46 am »
Great post. The memories of that season are bittersweet. What could have been.........
"If Bob Paisley had been on the continent or in America, in whatever capacity or field he worked, and achieved what he achieved, I think he’d be rated higher than the President, the Lord Mayor, the King or the Queen or whatever"

Ron Atkinson

Offline theblackhumor

• Anny Roader
  • oh boy.
« Reply #166 on: March 10, 2012, 07:06:27 am »
I remember saying to my dad in the 89th minute after dominating fulham all game "if it's not yours then it's not yours" and then yossi hammered that in. I thought it was our year. We didn't win the league but I enjoyed that season so much when we played some spectacular attacking football.

Offline Brentieke

• Vote King Hendo. Beaker's panic gif was modelled on his coupon. A seer & visionary - he saw how shite we are.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: March 10, 2012, 10:19:42 am »
Airy feek Nadim. You're making me very fucking sad.

Go to your inbox and read the PM dated March 30, 2009.

Haha just did. And a couple of messages later:

"United have more bullet holes than a building in Beirut". Classic. Wish I wrote that!

But like a building in Beirut, the fuckers, though bullet riddled, stayed standing.
My blog on Corruption in English Football and LFC Analysis.

http://diminbeirut.typepad.com/my-blog/

https://twitter.com/DimmyBad

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #168 on: March 10, 2012, 12:06:50 pm »
Brilliant day. Took the Eight Bells pub over afterwards. Liverpool songs all night aswell as some classic off the cuff ones(we're gonna miss the train, we're gonna miss the train/Yossi Benayoun to the tune of Beggin you by Madcon haha)

Like a european night it was

Ah what a great day, Sad and happy all at once with the memories
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp