Author Topic: Curtis Jones  (Read 590779 times)

Online Oskar

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Curtis Jones
« Reply #6280 on: April 24, 2024, 10:36:41 pm »
Please tell us though what he's good at, like genuinely what is he good at for you? (not trying to provoke or wind you up)

Would he start for any other team in the league?  :o

A lot of things.

And yes.

Offline deanloco9

• Kopite
« Reply #6281 on: April 24, 2024, 10:40:20 pm »
A lot of things.

And yes.

But what things? It's not just me asking now, What is Curtis Jones good at?  ;D

Online Caps4444

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6282 on: April 24, 2024, 10:41:13 pm »
But what things? It's not just me asking now, What is Curtis Jones good at?  ;D

He counts as home grown?

Offline DefJack

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6283 on: April 24, 2024, 10:41:29 pm »
What does he do? Seriously, what are his strengths?

He's singularly remarkable at extracting vague passive aggressive pseudo-critique from people who should really know better.

Offline deanloco9

• Kopite
« Reply #6284 on: April 24, 2024, 10:43:24 pm »
He counts as home grown?

So does Adrian  ;D

Offline DefJack

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6285 on: April 24, 2024, 10:53:50 pm »
I don't envisage we'll see the best of him again unless we move away from having an overlapping full back on his side.

The return of Robertson has forced him back into the defensive role offering transitional cover on the side of the midfield three, nullifying his offensive impact an reducing him to a circulating role in general possession.

His best output has come in either the 3-2-2-3 structure featuring Robertson in the back three that we saw towards the end of last season, or in the earlier parts of the season where Gomez was providing the defensive cover by inverting into the midfield three from left back.

It's a shame that a good year in a role which suits him is being washed away due to an underwhelming handful of weeks in a role that doesn't.

He isn't the problem, and if you can't conjure a specific criticism don't even bother raising it.

Online PEG2K

• Could be Stan Boardman. Hates the Germans.
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #6286 on: Yesterday at 01:15:27 am »
Re the question what he's good at. Someone already said it. Whether he's good or not depends on the rest of the team. He's tidy (or, dare I say, looking "silky" ), can circulate the ball (medium passing range), can press well, can grab the odd goals here and there. But he doesn't excel in any specific categories.

So when the rest of the team is playing well, he adds a "feels good" factor. When the forwards are firing and the defence doesn't concede silly goals, we all enjoy his nice and smooth moves in the midfield and no one would care if he dwells on the ball a little bit. But when we're chasing the game, he won't be the one who will cruise past their midfield, or pull out a penetrative pass, let alone creating a chance or scoring a goal.

For a top team, his role will always be somewhere between a squad player and a player who is competing for a spot in the first xi. Only a nailed on starter for a midtable team.

Offline Barryg21

• Main Stander
« Reply #6287 on: Yesterday at 07:21:09 am »
Genuine question to see where people think he is at

Lallana at his peak for us, or Curtis at his peak ?

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6288 on: Yesterday at 07:30:49 am »
Genuine question to see where people think he is at

Lallana at his peak for us, or Curtis at his peak ?

He’s 22.

Don’t get the Jones hate, he’s basically being asked to keep possession and cover for Robbo and Diaz bombing forward, it’s a thankless task.

Yes he can improve, especially in being stronger in duels but he really isn’t the problem in the team.

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6289 on: Yesterday at 08:15:57 am »
Again, another post-match thread were suddenly someone is fucking shite and should be sacked. Personally I think Jones can have 10 years for us as a squad player, starting 15-20 games a season in all comps. He should not be seen as a Macca level auto-starter and if we had more time to build our MF last summer, he would not be getting as many games.

Offline Barryg21

• Main Stander
« Reply #6290 on: Yesterday at 08:19:41 am »
He’s 22.

Don’t get the Jones hate, he’s basically being asked to keep possession and cover for Robbo and Diaz bombing forward, it’s a thankless task.

Yes he can improve, especially in being stronger in duels but he really isn’t the problem in the team.

Sorry, not hating. Just trying to understand what expectations are. As pre injury he was being talked off a a superstar in making, and getting in England 11
And now we talk about pressing, tidy, re cycle ball, maybe chip in with a goal (which reminds me of Lallana - who was a really solid pro, but never a superstar)

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6291 on: Yesterday at 07:00:31 pm »
Sorry, not hating. Just trying to understand what expectations are. As pre injury he was being talked off a a superstar in making, and getting in England 11
And now we talk about pressing, tidy, re cycle ball, maybe chip in with a goal (which reminds me of Lallana - who was a really solid pro, but never a superstar)

Not everyone can play the piano, maybe that’s half the problem, we’ve ran out of those willing to carry it.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #6292 on: Today at 06:56:32 am »
Aye aye…. Another excellent player people have totally written off.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline RainbowFlick

• The Test Ticket Tout. Head of the RAWK Vice Squad.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6293 on: Today at 11:45:24 am »
so much recency bias, before injury he was one of our best players. need to find a better role for him and also consider what midfield three he best works in.
YNWA.

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6294 on: Today at 11:54:52 am »
Good young player. Needs to work on consistency but he's got the ingredients. There are many other players that should move on before Curtis does

Offline Davidbowie

• Legacy Fan
  • The Thin White Duke
« Reply #6295 on: Today at 12:22:49 pm »
I don't rate Jones (I know you're not allowed to say that) but seeing him in the starting XI makes LFC weaker as far as I'm concerned.

Someone asked what is he good at? It's a good question and one I have asked in the past.

Is he known for his blistering pace & ability to get away from his marker? No.
Is he particularly physical, strong or tall? No.
Is he a superb passer, renowned for his ability to switch the play or thread intricate through balls? No.
Is he a set-piece taker? Strong on his free kicks and corners? No.
Is he an excellent striker of the ball, accurate or powerful long range shots? No.
Is he a terrific dribbler, known for his flicks, tricks & stepovers? No.
Is he a great tackler, and dictator of play in the middle of the pitch? No.

Genuine question, but what IS Jones good at? What strength and quality does he have that others don't? What does he bring to the team that makes us stronger than without him in it?
FAME makes a man take things over

Offline A-Bomb

• Garlic Butter Coming. Isn’t as good as Divock Origi. Can we sell him?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6296 on: Today at 12:36:24 pm »
I don't rate Jones (I know you're not allowed to say that) but seeing him in the starting XI makes LFC weaker as far as I'm concerned.

Someone asked what is he good at? It's a good question and one I have asked in the past.

Is he a superb passer, renowned for his ability to switch the play or thread intricate through balls? No.
Is he an excellent striker of the ball, accurate or powerful long range shots? No.

Genuine question, but what IS Jones good at? What strength and quality does he have that others don't? What does he bring to the team that makes us stronger than without him in it?

He's excellent at recycling the ball and keeping possession, he keeps the ball moving and progressing up the pitch - much like Gini did.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #6297 on: Today at 12:41:41 pm »
He's excellent at recycling the ball and keeping possession, he keeps the ball moving and progressing up the pitch - much like Gini did.

This plus off the ball he’s a hard worker, good presser and tactically astute.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6298 on: Today at 01:13:35 pm »
Re the question what he's good at. Someone already said it. Whether he's good or not depends on the rest of the team. He's tidy (or, dare I say, looking "silky" ), can circulate the ball (medium passing range), can press well, can grab the odd goals here and there. But he doesn't excel in any specific categories.

So when the rest of the team is playing well, he adds a "feels good" factor. When the forwards are firing and the defence doesn't concede silly goals, we all enjoy his nice and smooth moves in the midfield and no one would care if he dwells on the ball a little bit. But when we're chasing the game, he won't be the one who will cruise past their midfield, or pull out a penetrative pass, let alone creating a chance or scoring a goal.

For a top team, his role will always be somewhere between a squad player and a player who is competing for a spot in the first xi. Only a nailed on starter for a midtable team.

I don't understand how someone could watch him (when he's on form, he's obviously been off it like a bunch of them recently) and say he doesn't excel in any categories? He is absolutely brilliant at keeping the ball. He's impossible to press and is a very, very safe pair of hands in his passing. He 100% excels at this and if you don't see it you don't understand the value of it. How short our memories are of Gini and the value of a player who does just not lose the ball, or screw his teammate over by passing on a problem such that his teammate loses the ball.

Having said all that, I do sometimes wish Jones was willing/ able to move into another gear in terms of his penetrative passing. He excels in the above but it'd be good to see him able to add more strings to his bow.
« Last Edit: Today at 01:15:27 pm by Knight »

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6299 on: Today at 02:20:30 pm »

Lallana at his best was not "a really solid pro" - he was fucking outstanding.

Online Draex

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6300 on: Today at 02:28:55 pm »
Lallana at his best was not "a really solid pro" - he was fucking outstanding.

Exactly someone who is the literal press trigger for an entire team is incredibly intelligent and trusted by the manager.

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6301 on: Today at 03:01:39 pm »
Exactly someone who is the literal press trigger for an entire team is incredibly intelligent and trusted by the manager.

Such a shame injuries ruined him. He would have been perfect for Klopp if his body had held together.

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6302 on: Today at 03:05:31 pm »

See "Ronnie Whelan". Reminds me of him.

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6303 on: Today at 06:26:13 pm »
This thread's gone crazy. Jones is an excellent player already, and still has many years of potential improvement. What's happened to people?

Offline mickeydocs

• Legacy Fan
  • Jurgen Klopp - best Liverpool coach since Paisley
« Reply #6304 on: Today at 06:27:15 pm »
This thread's gone crazy. Jones is an excellent player already, and still has many years of potential improvement. What's happened to people?

Couldn't agree more. Already a very good player, and plenty of room for development at the age of 22.
It’s easy to believe when it’s going well.

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #6305 on: Today at 06:56:58 pm »
I believe he has the potential to be the new Gini. If the incoming manager plays 4-2-3-1 I could see Curtis being very good in a 2.
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Online KC7

• Boys Pen
« Reply #6306 on: Today at 08:01:18 pm »
so much recency bias, before injury he was one of our best players. need to find a better role for him and also consider what midfield three he best works in.

At Christmas he was our first choice midfielder (prior to Mac turning into Modric).

No doubt about Jones whatsoever. His ball retention and evasiveness is outstanding, which is massive for a midfield that looks to control the game. Like all the players coming back he has struggled to get back to his level (something Killer Heels predicted would happen).

Looking ahead, when the midfield is functioning, and hopefully it will be by bringing in a 6, everyone prospers. Mac, Jones and Dom playing in their proper advanced positions, and not having to stay close to the slow 6 so as not to leave him exposed, will only make their job easier. Having to babysit a slow 6 and carry some of his workload has hindered them.

Offline David in Edinburgh

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Klopp
« Reply #6307 on: Today at 08:24:20 pm »

Sorry but Curtis couldn't lace Ronnie's boots.

Offline Cormack Snr

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6308 on: Today at 08:32:42 pm »
Comparing Curtis Jones with Ronnie Whelan is like comparing Rachel Welsh with the fat girl who works in the chippy

Offline Wingman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6309 on: Today at 08:43:14 pm »

In what way?
Not sure what the point being made is? Ronnie Whelan was a fantastic player. And yes, better at 22yo than Curtis currently.